Type keyword(s) to search

Extant in the media

Eveytime I see something about this show I get a flashback to the final scene in the movie, Supernova, in which James Spader's and Angela Bassett's characters had to share the only available escape pod, and, when they landed, their DNA had intermingled such that they each had one blue eye and one brown eye, and she, who had previously been unable to conceive, was now pregnant. I keep wondering if the creators of this show were consciously or subconsciously or by the collective consciousness influenced by that scene.

Eveytime I see something about this show I get a flashback to the final scene in the movie, Supernova, in which James Spader's and Angela Bassett's characters had to share the only available escape pod, and, when they landed, their DNA had intermingled such that they each had one blue eye and one brown eye, and she, who had previously been unable to conceive, was now pregnant. I keep wondering if the creators of this show were consciously or subconsciously or by the collective consciousness influenced by that scene.

Yes, 'cause that's EXACTLY how DNA works!  

• Love 1

So she's got a robot kid, an alien kid coming, a conspiracy, that lady from The Practice, and Dr. Luka Kovac?

Wow, Spielberg has got some imagination! (Okay, I know he didn't actually write this--I'm joking!)

I can't get past the "13 months totally alone". No, that's not why they "call it a solo mission". Solitary confinement is usually considered torture, not a job description.

Then there's the logistics. 13 months on a space station, no resupply ships? Because that wouldn't count as totally alone. And if something goes wrong while she's up there - she breaks a leg or something - she has no backup? It's just so completely illogical I can't even start.

Pushing Halle's Oscar in the trailers isn't helping either - this looks so bad, it just reminds me she's also a Razzie winner.

• Love 2

I'm predicting this show will tank. Halle Berry is a horrible, overrated actress and I don't think she has a big enough fan base to generate long term interest. Unless she has some kick-ass co-stars I'm predicting a one and done season.

• Love 1
(edited)

So, between this and Helix I guess Hiroyuki Sanada is attempting to corner the market on inscrutable Japanese scientists that may or may not be evil.

I liked AI, but I'm surprised Spielberg is delving into such similar themes for this project. Goran Visnjic's character feels like the one William Hurt played.

Edited by xaxat

Pushing Halle's Oscar in the trailers isn't helping either - this looks so bad, it just reminds me she's also a Razzie winner.

Fair play to the woman though, she showed up and picked up her Razzie, which shows a healthy amount of self-deprecation.

The previews doesn't look all that great. However, the premise sounds interesting. Though Halle has been hit or miss on the big screen. IMO she's always done excellent work when doing television (eta. Queen; The Dorothy Dandridge Story). The reviews I've read so far on the Pilot have been quite good. So I'm going to check this out.

That isn't a good sign. I guess that big drop in the ratings last week really had an impact.

Well crap. I thought it was better last week. Has this season completed filming?

If Under the Dome can have a following...

Soooo...is Extant getting cancelled or what? If something as immensely stupid as Under the Dome/The Following/The 100

can survive and this doesn't, there is no justice in this world. I read a "review" where the critic gave it a thumbs down and hadn't even watched a single episode. What the hell.

• Love 2

I think the scheduling for Extant is being modified to ensure all episodes air before the regular Fall TV season starts (and thus competing against Extant).

Based on the schedule I've seen, the show's season finale will be September 10th, so mostly finished before other shows start.

It makes sense - keep the focus on the show and end with a bang.

I do think it will be renewed. It's doing decent numbers for a summer replacement show. Actually, if season 2 starts up in January I would watch.

Of course, I cannot think of any other show that I care to watch on Wednesdays.

• Love 2

I do think it will be renewed. It's doing decent numbers for a summer replacement show. Actually, if season 2 starts up in January I would watch. Of course, I cannot think of any other show that I care to watch on Wednesdays.

I think I would try to watch it, depending on how the shows actually shake out. And as long as this wasn't up against Arrow.

There's a promo clip up on SpoilerTV for the season finale 

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/09/extant-episode-113-ascension-promo_16.html

Some tibits from that clip (spoilered) : 

• the ISEA is still using the same launch technology as the Space Shuttles that are all retired now.  In fact, it looks exactly like one of the old NASA shuttles during the launch, despite the fact that all the shuttles used by the ISEA in space all appear to be much cooler, new and improved versions of the Shuttle
  • Molly goes into space to the Seraphim station and meets up with Sean (at least someone that appears to be Sean, but who knows)
  • Molly goes medieval on Alien Katie's ass
  • Ethan meets the Offspring
  • What is with that stupid spacesuit Molly is wearing with that incredibly bright light right in front of her face ? That makes no sense at all.
  • Whenever a promo indicates that someone makes "the ultimate sacrifice", they are implying that someone dies or kills themselves for a nobler cause, but it rarely pans out that way.
  • Marcus appears to Molly -- again.
  • The Seraphim station explodes
  • Ethan is at the ISEA headquarters, screaming from behind a table covered in broken glass.  I'm thinking some shit goes down at ISEA.

I see a lot of people hoping this gets renewed for a second season but I always thought it was advertised as a "special event" kind of mini-series that was just a one off.  I never anticipated a second season, is that really a possibility?

I see a lot of people hoping this gets renewed for a second season but I always thought it was advertised as a "special event" kind of mini-series that was just a one off.  I never anticipated a second season, is that really a possibility?

It would have been a possibility, but with the ratings it got, it's very unlikely.

Edited by ApathyMonger

Extant was up nearly 40% in the ratings from last week (when it hit a season low), but it still had only half the audience of the series premiere of 'The Mysteries of Laura' it was up against. Compared to the season premiere (when it aired at 9pm) , it's down in the ratings 30%, 50% share loss, and 50% audience loss.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/09/18/tv-ratings-wednesday-the-mysteries-of-laura-starts-strong-red-band-society-premieres-soft-extant-finale-penn-teller-fool-us-up/304420/

Shows with those kinds of numbers generally don't get renewed.

• Love 1

Oh wow, awesome. Didn't think it would be renewed, since the final episode really wrapped things up.

I guess there will be more Offspring hunting.

Reason why it was renewed:

<snip>...EXTANT, starring Academy Award winner Halle Berry, won its 10:00 PM time period with 8.64 million viewers, 1.7/06 in adults 18-49 and 2.3/07 in adults 25-54. In addition to their broadcast on the Network....<snip>

Very surprised at the news. I had already (in my mind) written the show off as a one season and done. I guess I'm glad it's coming back. I did want to know more about what happened to Yasomoto and Renee Walker. I liked Julie and Charlie and hope to see more of them so I'll be back for season 2.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 1

Ha.  Maybe this will give Julie a chance to kick Odin to pieces with her super-legs.  I am very surprised it was renewed but I guess this gives them a chance to elaborate on some of the stuff they had to cut out to wrap up tidily for the season finale since they didn't know at the time if they were renewed or not.

• Love 3

Is it me, or does Halle look a little like Katherine McPhee with the new 'do?

It looks like we still have Ethan and we get to have Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Halle's hunk du saison.

I think there will be a time jump...unless there is some newfangled machine that can auto-extension ones hair (work on this patent, someone out there).

It was a brief glimpse, but it looks like the same actor who plays Ethan - and he hasn't aged a bit...Weird.

Last years' summer sensation.  Really ?   Most people were surprised it was renewed.

And I bet the budget has been reduced so I doubt there will any fancy space shenanigans in Season 2.

With the hunt on for the Offspring, this has basically turned into the TV version of the movie 'Species'.

Well I'm glad Ethan's body is back, but I'm not excited about the possibility of a war storyline. Anti-technology terrorist, I can deal with. But I really hope S2 does not get bogged down in militarism. Sick of that tbh. I'm most interested in the family dynamics, and Ethan evolving. Of course the aspect of space and technology as well.

• Love 1
Well I'm glad Ethan's body is back, but I'm not excited about the possibility of a war storyline.

I'm actually not, to be honest. I was glad (but sad) when he was "killed" off in the finale, so not too happy he's one of the only ones who is back.

Also - why has this kid not aged??? Wow.

I'm actually not, to be honest. I was glad (but sad) when he was "killed" off in the finale, so not too happy he's one of the only ones who is back.

Also - why has this kid not aged??? Wow.

Wasn't Ethan 'everywhere' at the end of last season having magically uploaded himself to the computer networks ?  Why would he want to go back to just being in a artificial body ?