Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Banannaise

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

On the subject of Philip being so confounded to be dwelling in the middle of the pack, at best, it's clearly very confusing to him because whereas he thinks "this is good, nicely done" makes something flawless and therefore automatically deserving of the win, the judges want things they find actually worthy of praise vs lacking faults to be criticized. Philip is treating the two concepts as interchangeable and they are not.

I think his other problem is that he's been a very successful TV competition chef on Food Network. What he has neglected to take into account is that Food Network casts for personality first and cooking talent second. Whereas Bravo casts in the opposite order. It's not surprising that for as long as Chopped has been on the air and as many episodes as Chopped has filmed (over 300), we've only seen 3 chefs appear on Chopped and Top Chef: Phillip, Frances, and Katsugi.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5

I think, too, Philip comes from a celebrity family - which is pretty much a slam dunk on TFN - and he's got various online fundraising going on for a movie about himself, so add that to the Fieri/Flay/Chopped thing and I'm getting more celebrity and chef than chef and celebrity.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

I grew up in the South and ate banana and mayonnaise sandwiches on white bread pretty often.

My mother, an older southern farm woman, eats these all the time. I can't stand the taste nor smell of bananas, but I wanted to back up that this sandwich is a real concoction, however vile I find them. I think I've seen her slather on some peanut butter too.

That's just disgusting. Not only wanting to make a movie about himself, but wanting others to pay for it? I mean, if you're going to do a vanity project, at least pay for it yourself.

Based on the date the various messages were posted, this project seems to be going nowhere fast. Maybe people are not that stupid! ;)

I think, too, Philip comes from a celebrity family - which is pretty much a slam dunk on TFN - and he's got various online fundraising going on for a movie about himself, so add that to the Fieri/Flay/Chopped thing and I'm getting more celebrity and chef than chef and celebrity.

What celebrity family?

Right?  Why is snot on a rock acceptable, but taco on a cutting board is inedible?

And listen up, people: Mr Snot On A Rock isn't trying to make tasty food, he wants to make yummy food. Rhymes with gummy.

He seems to believe that the judges and the diners in his restaurant need him to educate their palates about what is yummy. I think this is his way of branding himself, like when Paris Hilton tried to trademark "that's hot."

Sorry, I substituted tasty for yummy.  It's because my 4-year-old grandson made an impassioned plea one evening for why he should be given tasty, yummy food for dinner (meaning In N Out fries).  It was a better persuasive argument than my 7th graders typically could compose.  And now tasty and yummy run together in my mind.

• Love 1

I looked at the Facebook page and one of the links is dead and the funding page appears to be defunct (no active fundraising, but lots of descriptions about the project). It appears that the project is almost four years old, so I'm surprised there's still a Facebook page for the film. I wonder if he's hoping that the stint on Top Chef will kind of resurrect his dream for his film??? Just speculating on that since there's no way to know.

I have to say, seeing all that does make me view Man Bun differently, and not in a good way, which I suppose isn't quite fair. He may be the nicest guy on the planet, hand nursing orphaned puppies and kittens and stopping his car to help little old ladies across the crosswalk, but I don't know . . . I feel like I'm getting the whiff of famewhore from him. Between the beautiful model/chef wife, his large photographic presence promoting his restaurants, the previous appearances on the other cooking shows and the past attempt to write, produce, direct his own film . . . It seems so very L. A./Hollywood hustler. It's almost like he could be a character on Entourage.

I appreciate and respect ambition - I sincerely do. But all of the above, combined with his man bun, oyster on a rock and gluey potato cream is kind of turning him into a caricature for me. It's very hard for me to take that seriously. It makes me wonder if cooking is really that important to him or if it's just kind of a hip thing for him to do that may lead to notoriety and wealth (because after all, we live in a time where chefs can be hip, famous and rich, thanks very much Anthony Bourdain). It's an interesting contrast between Man Bun and someone like Wesley, who seemed to sincerely appreciate the opportunity to learn more about what he was doing and stretch himself into new places.

ETA: I like Bourdain; however, his hip, wealth, fame factor cannot be denied!

Edited by Maysie
  • Love 6

Amar had a talking head and some other guy talked about opening a taco stand in South or Central America, and I thought "Why are the adding new people in the middle of a season?" I had no recollection of ever seeing those guys before.

I figured Karen says "spouse" because she was one of many people who used to say "partner" instead of "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" to describe their significant other (and no one seems to complain about using "partner") and now she is married, which she may have had to wait a while to legally do. 

He also won Cutthroat Kitchen. Each one of those shows carries a not inconsiderable cash prize. He was saying that the TC prize would help keep his restaurant going. Maybe instead of going on competition shows he should spend more time at his restaurant? Will he be on Restaurant Startup next?

He talked about how the judges criticize his dishes, then talked about needed money for his restaurant and I thought, "Maybe your restaurant would be doing better if you paid attention to what other people want, instead of thinking they are wrong if they don't want whatever you make."

• Love 7

Barely a week later it is announced that True has joined The Optimist: http://atlanta.eater.com/2015/8/5/9095125/wesley-true-the-optimist-chef-ford-fry.  In this article it is claimed that a "tipster" reported True's dismissal was related to his move to The Optimist.

"Wesley loves big bright flavors and 'not cooking' fish — meaning he has an affinity for crudo." Dear god, who would want to eat raw fish from a guy who works that sloppy and gross? You know you're lucky if his fingers are only covered in his spittle as he arranges your raw food. 

I figured Karen says "spouse" because she was one of many people who used to say "partner" instead of "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" to describe their significant other (and no one seems to complain about using "partner") and now she is married, which she may have had to wait a while to legally do.

Perhaps, but she lives in Massachusetts where equality in marriage has been the law for over ten years.

He also won Cutthroat Kitchen. Each one of those shows carries a not inconsiderable cash prize. He was saying that the TC prize would help keep his restaurant going. Maybe instead of going on competition shows he should spend more time at his restaurant? Will he be on Restaurant Startup next?

I'd much rather see him on Restaurant Stakeout with Willie Degel.

Whaddayou? Serving food on a rock? What's wrong wit' you? People come in here, they gotta nice jacket on, they got their wife (or goomar, don't ask) wit' dem, dey don't wanna eat on no ROCK! It's dirty. It's disgusting. It's not classy. Come to one of my restaurants. Do you think I serve food on a rock? NO!! And cut that hair. Nobody wants to see a bun on a man. Well, maybe they do (don't ask) but not when it's falling into their food. And take down that fecockteh picture of yourself on the wall. No one wants to see that.

• Love 3

I've seen plenty of idiots complain about that. Some people just won't be happy unless pronouns infantilize or sexualize the other.

I use the term partner all the time and everyone assumes that we are in a same-sex relationship.  We are not.  I guess being middle-aged, hetero, and in a non-married, committed longterm relationship is somehow radical.

• Love 3

Amar had a talking head and some other guy talked about opening a taco stand in South or Central America, and I thought "Why are the adding new people in the middle of a season?" I had no recollection of ever seeing those guys before.

He talked about how the judges criticize his dishes, then talked about needed money for his restaurant and I thought, "Maybe your restaurant would be doing better if you paid attention to what other people want, instead of thinking they are wrong if they don't want whatever you make."

Same thought occurred to me when he said this.  I also thought you already have a couple of restaurants.  I know this because you mentioned it to the camera.  Shouldn't they succeed based on their merits and not propped up with reality show filthy lucre?  I get the business is touch.  But places also open and stay open without running around and having a sideline of Amateur Dochebag personality at a tv channel high up the 'dial' near you.

• Love 1

I finally got to watch this and all I have to say is I think we are moving into the real competition phase now. Angelina HAD to go, and Wesley, well, he may have been a good chef, BUT. First impressions. After his first gross messes I just cringed when he was cooking. So uncomfortable. I kept looking for him to ooze over his station into someone else's dish or some such. So, yay they are gone, let the games begin!

• Love 2

I finally got to watch this and all I have to say is I think we are moving into the real competition phase now. Angelina HAD to go, and Wesley, well, he may have been a good chef, BUT. First impressions. After his first gross messes I just cringed when he was cooking. So uncomfortable. I kept looking for him to ooze over his station into someone else's dish or some such. So, yay they are gone, let the games begin!

I agree -- I still think that jason and manbun will have to go.  After that though is when the real, real competition begins.  

• Love 2

I don't think it should matter what Karen wants to call her spouse, but FWIW, "spouse" is a very common term for those who don't like to use gendered terms out of rejecting the old-fashioned connotations, not because anyone's genderqueer.  I mean, there's that possibility too, but "spouse" is an elegant term  summing up the relationship with nothing more that needs to be said or implied about the partners. 

Really hoping Marjorie goes the distance, but her defense of Angelina all the time was baffling.

Edited by Rai
  • Love 3

I enjoyed this, and am honestly enjoying the whole season. And it was nice to see Emeril visit the chefs and hang out with them. I just love that guy. In the last several years, he's so much calmer and warmer, not so manic. Nowadays, he always seems to give off this effortless warmth, joy and sincere desire to see others do well. I think he's a very happy man, and that's something that just kind of seems to exude from him in a lovely way.

Tom also seems to be genuinely enjoying this season, and I really like seeing him have fun like he is now. I think he likes and respects most of the chefs, and he's got a genuine twinkle in his eye that makes him fun to watch this season even when he's doing a sniff 'n' sneer or being critical. But then, I've always liked Tom.

Although sourpuss Padma is working my last nerve this season. She's really insufferable this season. If still gorgeous. Damn her.

I'm okay with Blaise now, even if I can almost see his hair ping to attention when the camera focuses on him, bless his little heart. I think he's all sorts of fascinating things -- a nerd (and I say this as a proud member of the clan myself), a genuine enthusiast, a goofball, a geek, and as someone who's awkward and maybe intimidated and trying desperately not to be. I think there's something kind of charming about him now. He's like one of those spiky-haired mutts that you pick up at the pound because it just wants so badly to be liked. Except in television chef form.

I dunno. I have a soft spot for him now. It's weird. Like I said, he wore that armor on "Cutthroat Kitchen" and suddenly I found him delightful. I can never hate him again.

Yeah that was a cheap shot in every sense of the phrase. It was a hard day to be Wesley overall and I winced pretty hard over the inclusion of that and the crashing sound. He seems to have a pretty good sense of humor about himself, so hopefully he took it all in good humor, but tough night for him. Plus, he had the decency to immediately own and apologize for his bad behavior over the missing crustacean. He seems like a decent guy.

I was so torn on Wesley! Because when he wasn't cooking, he was actually quite likable, humble, funny, and self-effacing. I liked his willingness to own his own mistakes, and he was often really entertaining with the other cheftestants.

But his cooking habits! GAHHH! He double-dipped again here, right on camera! And licked his fingers! It's not even a question for me that this guy does this stuff constantly in real life, and even aside from the whole full-body shudder that he touches raw fish that way (AGHGHGHGH), I just... No. No. Never. But I also admit that I have pretty decent OCD tendencies and to this day do not allow anyone else to drink from my cup or straw, for instance. Yes, I have issues.

Phillip, who is ostensibly a grown ass man, needs to stop saying "Yummy food".  

BUT! I will always love the word "yummy" just for this immortal moment ("You just made a yummy sound."):

I have to say, seeing all that does make me view Man Bun differently, and not in a good way, which I suppose isn't quite fair. He may be the nicest guy on the planet, hand nursing orphaned puppies and kittens and stopping his car to help little old ladies across the crosswalk, but I don't know . . . I feel like I'm getting the whiff of famewhore from him. Between the beautiful model/chef wife, his large photographic presence promoting his restaurants, the previous appearances on the other cooking shows and the past attempt to write, produce, direct his own film . . . It seems so very L. A./Hollywood hustler. It's almost like he could be a character on Entourage.

I appreciate and respect ambition - I sincerely do. But all of the above, combined with his man bun, oyster on a rock and gluey potato cream is kind of turning him into a caricature for me. It's very hard for me to take that seriously. 

My suspicion is that it's actually a misguided combination of (1) yep, ego, but also (2) a variable attempt at constant self-promotion. And in some cases, like the FN stuff, or even TC, it can be really good for him and I understand it. The other stuff (the movie stuff) just seems silly to me, and it hurts rather than helps him, as does the ridiculously outsized image of him outside of his restaurant. But I think he's so focused, and so hyper-motivated, that he just thinks all of this is PR, and he's not being discerning enough to see what efforts (and behaviors) hurt him rather than help him.

"Wesley loves big bright flavors and 'not cooking' fish — meaning he has an affinity for crudo." Dear god, who would want to eat raw fish from a guy who works that sloppy and gross? You know you're lucky if his fingers are only covered in his spittle as he arranges your raw food. 

"I KNOW!"  <runs screaming again>

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 1

I accepted long ago, that I have probably eaten food that has been sweated in, fingerdipped, and double spoon dipped. Of course, that acceptance doesn't mean that I want to see anyone doing disgusting stuff, but I would probably still eat Wesley's food.  And then of course there is this cinematic gem....

Edited by RCharter

I will also say that I cannot for the life of me understand the dislike for Richard Blaise at all.  He seems dorky and friendly and happy as a person.  The venom he inspires strikes me as so bizarre.  YMMV, I suppose.

I've always wondered about this, because Richard is one of my all time favorite Top Chef contestants.  He seems likable, funny and dorky.  What am I missing?

• Love 2

I've always wondered about this, because Richard is one of my all time favorite Top Chef contestants.  He seems likable, funny and dorky.  What am I missing?

I think it's because a lot of people didn't like his comments when he lost to Stephanie in his original season.  I didn't mind them, and I didn't think he was putting Stephanie down.  She is a great chef, but Richard was clearly the front runner of that season, I thought he was going to win, and I don't even try the food.  When he said he choked and that it was his fault he didn't win, I agreed with him.  And this doesn't mean that I think Stephanie is not a great chef.

I've found that after that many people just take everything he says / does way too much to heart and assign it more meaning than it has. But, that's me.

• Love 3

Or perhaps they put a different value on it, since interpretation is not a matter of truth :)

Which is why I said "But, that's me" because I understand that the sentence that preceded that  statement is my reading of their reactions and, as such, it might not be accurate.

Did you sprinkle sugar on the mayo bread before you add the bananas? You won't believe how good that little bit of crunch is! And please please tell me you are a slicer and not a masher of bananas for the sandwich??! 

Wasn't Wesley sent home more for the beets than the over cooked lamb? Or did I get that twisted? I want to remember several comments from the judges and eaters saying that he just pureed beets and there was no refinement about them [beets being one of the flavors in the beer?].  That it was to literal.

I've never tried the sugar trick, but I will. And oh yes, I'm a slicer.

There may be something to the Carrot Conspiracy. Mr. Bunnyhop, who has never, in 27 years, asked for carrots suddenly, last week declared that he really, really loves roasted carrots. And no, he doesn't watch TC. Someone or something got to him, I'm sure of it.

• Love 3