Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

Ree cooks fattening food!  It's probably good for the cowboys and the kids, who are out there working it off, but for the rest of us, it's a little bit too much fat for my taste.  I seem to gravitate more toward the recipes that she says were her mother's as opposed to the ones which she has re-invented by adding her "take" on things.  One thing I could never tolerate is the addition of all of that hot sauce and dried chilis and red pepper.  Spicy things don't agree with me, and I'd be sick if I ate one of those recipes.  A little bit of seeded jalapeno is fine, but that's about it.

I was really surprised by the way she made her sloppy joes.  My recipes (my mother's) calls for chili sauce and tomatoes, while Ree's went the mustard route.  I thought her Beef Stroganoff sounded good, but I have my favorite recipe for that.

Did anyone see something odd about her granola bars, or is it just me?  They sounded good, but at the end, after she'd dipped them in chocolate, she put them down on the melted chocolate side, so that the chocolate smeared onto the paper underneath.  I was imagining her putting them down on the baked granola side, and I gasped, thinking she was making a mistake!  I've never put a cookie dipped in chocolate back down on the chocolate side.  Ree's way didn't make any sense to me at all.

...One thing I could never tolerate is the addition of all of that hot sauce and dried chilis and red pepper.  Spicy things don't agree with me, and I'd be sick if I ate one of those recipes.  A little bit of seeded jalapeno is fine, but that's about it...

Actually, as far as her meals go this one for Alex (I think it was Alex) looked a little closer to something I'd want to eat.  At least the chicken with the grilled poblano pepper.  In fact, we do make something like that fairly often in the summer, but I like mine topped with crumbly queso fresco instead of jack cheese.  It's a little lighter and really good served on top of a bed of mixed greens.

Nodding with grisgris over shades of semi-ho.  The thing with Ree, though, is that it looked like she was using some kind of actual spice blend, like from Penzey's.  If that's the case, say what's in the taco seasoning for all your fans who do not know how to cook.  At least Emeril and the old guard at Food Network would have provided the recipe for the spice blend to accompany the actual recipe (like he used to do with his "essence" blend).  And holy moly that's a big batch of roasted potatoes to make for a group that large.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I seldom venture into the realm of making a full five pounds (or more) of potatoes unless I've got a pretty good crowd.   

What irritated me to no end in this episode was how she spoke to these young women.  "I hear giggling girls."  "Oh your crafts, how cute girls!!"  Girls this, girls that.  She speaks to them like they are six year old children.  My daughter would have clocked me.

• Love 3
(edited)

Just caught up today with the Frontier Friendship.....really? potatoes with olive oil and taco seasoning?

Can Ree be any less un-original?

Actually, as far as her meals go this one for Alex (I think it was Alex) looked a little closer to something I'd want to eat.  At least the chicken with the grilled poblano pepper.  In fact, we do make something like that fairly often in the summer, but I like mine topped with crumbly queso fresco instead of jack cheese.  It's a little lighter and really good served on top of a bed of mixed greens.

Nodding with grisgris over shades of semi-ho.  The thing with Ree, though, is that it looked like she was using some kind of actual spice blend, like from Penzey's.  If that's the case, say what's in the taco seasoning for all your fans who do not know how to cook.  At least Emeril and the old guard at Food Network would have provided the recipe for the spice blend to accompany the actual recipe (like he used to do with his "essence" blend).  And holy moly that's a big batch of roasted potatoes to make for a group that large.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I seldom venture into the realm of making a full five pounds (or more) of potatoes unless I've got a pretty good crowd.   

What irritated me to no end in this episode was how she spoke to these young women.  "I hear giggling girls."  "Oh your crafts, how cute girls!!"  Girls this, girls that.  She speaks to them like they are six year old children.  My daughter would have clocked me.

I Agree! I had ulcer surgery so  cannot do spicy anything.

Edited by autumnh

I liked the way that Ree stacked all of the "girl's" canvases on top of each other. I'm certain the paint wasn't completely dry.

Kudos to Alex for keeping her lips zipped about what college she's chosen. I'll bet it's drivin' Ree crazy!

However, Ree does cook better than Ma Duggar.

That would be a truly honest introduction to her next book.  Question is, which B-grade celebrity would put their name to it?  Maybe Mama June from Honey Boo Boo?

• Love 2

According to the Food Network Gossip site these will be the "NEW" episodes of the upcoming/current season.

The Pioneer Woman
Premiering Saturday, May 2nd at 10am - "Friendship Fiesta"
Ree Drummond's daughter Alex and her best friends are heading to college, and while they have a dorm room craft day, Ree's cooking up a Tex-Mex feast with juicy marinated Green Chile Chicken, spicy Taco Potatoes, a layered Mexican Salad and a real show stopping finale, Key Lime Pie.

Premiering Saturday, May 9th at 10am - "Just Me and the Girls"
The guys are away and so it is 24 hours of just Ree Drummond and the girls. She whips up a Blueberry Crumb Cake for breakfast while they play with the new puppies. For dinner she dishes up Petite Filets with Wasabi Cilantro Cream, over-the-top decadent Lobster Mac and Cheese, and Paige's latest vegetable obsession, Lemony Broccolini.

Premiering Saturday, May 23rd at 10am - "Happy Birthday, Ladd"
Ree Drummond cooks up a celebration dinner for her husband, Ladd's, birthday. She dishes up all his favorite foods, including Chili Cheese Burgers, crisp Thin Fries, a cowboy-friendly Wedge Salad with Parmesan Peppercorn Ranch dressing and a towering Yellow Cake with the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.

Premiering Saturday, May 30th at 10am - "The Middles"

Ree Drummond celebrates her children Paige and Bryce, with three snapshots of food and fun over a week while the other kids are away. She makes their favorite food starting with Cornmeal Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup. There is speedy, creamy Bow Tie Chicken Alfredo and build-your-own Grilled Fruit Pizzas with a cookie base, cream cheese frosting and indoor grilled glossy fruit.

Oh look!

More steak, burgers, ranch dressing, lettuce wedges, and of course, pasta. 

How unoriginal. At least they aren't down to 14 minute meals. I never did get that ridiculousness. If someone is showing up at my house last minute..they will have to wait.

The meal looked to heavy and rich for my tastes. I'd rather have surf & turf and the broccolini. I guess that mac & cheese is really no different than adding a loaded baked potato to a steak & lobster tail plate, but it just seemed like overkill, especially with the wasabi cream sauce. 

To me, there's nothing better for a steak, then just plain, medium-rare with s/p.

YMMV.

• Love 1

I thought it looked good but really heavy.  But it's that kind of meal.  The only thing I didn't understand was putting a filet that small in the oven to finish.  It's not necessary to do that with one so small and thin.  You do that on the thicker cuts.

I actually have never had lobster macaroni & cheese.  It sounds delicious, but it's one of those things I do a mental calculation on potential calories and then take a pass.  As a bonafide lush, I'd rather have a second glass of wine with that steak.  

The blueberry crumb cake looked simple and delicious with blueberries playing the starring role.  Nice to see her exercise some restraint in a dessert.

• Love 2

Lobster mac and cheese is amazing! I'm sure it's like, 1000+ calories a serving but it's so worth it. My sister usually makes Ina's version. Rees looked good but I think it needed more lobster. It's not like she can't afford it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of Ina, that was almost a complete copy from her show! I'm not thinking Ina had them all together in one meal, but she's done them all. How original. Remember when Jeffrey bought the broccolini? I am really starting to hate watching Ree make retreads of Ina's retreads! She even stole the white "pizza" with the arugula on top in the rerun today as well. Even saying how "peppery" it was. Sheesh!

Edited by Calibabydolly
  • Love 2
(edited)

From just the little I've been able to stand to watch her lately, I've been picking up several "Ina-isms." We know there's the truck-cam--that's from Ina from Day One. But lately she's been saying "right in" like Ina does--as in "just dump it right in."

Not surprising. Ree doesn't have an original bone in her body. But check out the posts on Facebook. It's all "I just love Ree's recipes!!!" They think she actually comes up with this stuff.

Edited by Hildegard802
  • Love 2

I loved how we were subjected to watching Ree lather up and wash her hands after handling the lobster.  I mean it wasn't just that we were told she was going to wash her hands off camera...they actually made us watch her turn the water on in the sink, pour soap into her hands, lather up, and wash...I mean seriously?  Were they running short of time this episode?  If nothing else just show us more of the puppies...b/c puppies!

• Love 1

Oh, darn-- I'm annoyed I missed the rerun with the arugula pizza!  Was that the one where they ate outside of the lodge?  I ask because I vividly remember her walking out the door with some flatbread with salad greens piled on top and it's a windy day so the minute she clears the threshold they quickly cut to a shot of something else just as those toppings begin to take flight.

Good times.

But not as good as puppies.

(edited)

Not surprising. Ree doesn't have an original bone in her body. But check out the posts on Facebook. It's all "I just love Ree's recipes!!!" They think she actually comes up with this stuff.

I share the sentiment, and while I realize there is very little that is new under the sun, as many say, some of the better chefs on tv at least try.  Heck, even creepy old Guy Fieddi tries to be creative.

One thing that seems true about Ina is that she has a solid method for developing and testing new recipes.  Yes, she can be repetitive (you're all familiar with at least one of her 49 versions of roast chicken), but she also comes up with many winners that work.  And Ina is truly a class act when it comes to referencing and honoring the true source of a recipe she's demonstrating if it isn't hers.  Ree just doesn't do that, and she's made a lot of money repurposing old church cookbook recipes.  She just doesn't have a creative culinary bone in her body.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 4

Yes, PUPPIES!  They were very cute.

But I always wonder - what about the older dogs?  Are they getting along with the new additions?  The basset hounds weren't even mentioned.  (Not that Walter ever is, LOL).  They weren't even invited to watch TV at the end.  :-(

Gah, again with the "the boys wouldn't eat this!"  Why the insistence on girl food vs cowboy food?  It's so annoying.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ree, or someone for her, reads boards. Thus the "see me washy hands!" and "we don't eat like this every day" in reference to the calorie-laden (and no doubt very dry) lobster mac. The script gets more stilted every show, and the kids act like they've been beaten into reciting their lines. Ree never had a POV, unless you call culling recipes from the 'net and church cookbooks a POV, along with canned shots of dogs, cattle, dirty trucks and other (fake) aspects of their ranch "life." Now she seems to be drifting even more aimlessly, as she tries to . . . what? Make Pawhuska the Hamptons of the South?

eta: The business of using rounded teaspons instead of following exact measurements when baking? That says all one needs to know about Ree's culinary abilities.

Edited by Hildegard802
  • Love 5

Ree, or someone for her, reads boards. Thus the "see me washy hands!" and "we don't eat like this every day" in reference to the calorie-laden (and no doubt very dry) lobster mac. The script gets more stilted every show, and the kids act like they've been beaten into reciting their lines. Ree never had a POV, unless you call culling recipes from the 'net and church cookbooks a POV, along with canned shots of dogs, cattle, dirty trucks and other (fake) aspects of their ranch "life." Now she seems to be drifting even more aimlessly, as she tries to . . . what? Make Pawhuska the Hamptons of the South?

eta: The business of using rounded teaspons instead of following exact measurements when baking? That says all one needs to know about Ree's culinary abilities.

"Pawhuska the Hamptons of the South"  OMG, good one.   You know, being yourself goes a very long way.  As much as she constantly wants to be seen as a chic, worldly intellectual, well….she's not.  And that's okay.  Stop apologizing for all the fat, salt and sugar you use, and the really sloppy foods your family eats.  It is what it is.  Ina, on the other hand, truly is a worldly intellectual who lives a very chic life, has high points of reference, interesting, worldly social circle etc.  

• Love 3

Actually, I was treated to an ad from the Oklahoma tourist board (or whatever it's called) during the show and it just confirmed that I am not a pioneer woman.

• Love 2

We get two shows on the Cooking Channel and two on the FN every week, so we're "Ree'd" up to our eyeballs.  Does everyone here get that many?  The last one I saw was a "Ree"-run of Ladd's birthday and included a giant four-layer chocolate cake for Ladd.  As much frosting as she made, she definitely could have used more.  She only had enough to spread very, very thin layers of frosting in between the cake layers, and I desperately wanted some frosting in there!  She topped the cake with what she called chocolate curls, but they were more like heavy, long and wide chocolate logs.  They were heavy and unattractive, but I'm sure they tasted good.

Ree continues to "love" every ingredient, every procedure, every recipe.  In her baby voice, she "just loves" everything.  I just learned the other day that she doesn't love bananas.  In fact, she's only eaten one half of a banana in her life!   At last, something she doesn't love!

• Love 5

New Ladd birthday episode today. I didn't know what most of his presents were, but I have to say, the pens she bought him are seriously the best pens. I buy them for myself at work and my techs keep stealing them off my desk. The cake looked good, but 3 layers were probably needed. The fries didn't wow me, too thin, and I don't like chili so yuck to the burgers. 

It looked like the males in the family didn't even touch those wedge salads...to be honest I wouldn't have either, she barely drizzled on any dressing on those wedges.

Ugh, those burgers...I kept wondering how they would eat those burgers w/their hands...what a mess that would be, but then she said said it was a knife and fork type of burger.

It looked like the males in the family didn't even touch those wedge salads...to be honest I wouldn't have either, she barely drizzled on any dressing on those wedges.

I'm a woman, so I know in Ree's world that means I love everything veggie and ESPECIALLY salads, but I gotta say, I can't stand a wedge salad!  It's way too much work for iceberg, no matter how much bacon and creamy dressing you put on it.

• Love 3

Yay, another disaster of a show.  At least she's reliable.

That birthday cake was quite a mess for someone who, you know, has her own cooking show.  She really should have trimmed a little of the dome off of each layer so that it would lay flatter.  As it was, the bottom had significant gaps where the cake didn't meet the plate (almost like it could bobble around), and the gaps between the layers were so sizable she would have needed a ton more icing than her recipe called for to spackle them together.  

For the main course she serves the most boring chili cheeseburgers with skinny fries that would never, ever, ever in this world be worth the effort to make at home.  I hope Ladd has a really good cardiologist and is taking in adequate doses of Lipitor, because the dude is not going to make it to 47.  Maybe that's her plan?  Then she can eat as much of that girly-girl pasta (made with wine) as she wants.  Bwa ha haaa.

• Love 5

I noticed the gaps in the cake too and fondly recalled how Aunt Sandy would dutifully saw off large cross sections of her cakes before layering them for frosting. At least she had the right idea and made the effort, despite the end result.

I'll give Ree a pass for the sloppy top of the cake, if she was going to stuff a nearly full-scale barnyard scene in it. I think she should have put those animals in much earlier to give them time to sink in. Then they'd look more realistic like they were knee-high in manure and mud.

Not that I'd ever make them, but I was interested to know how to get the potatoes so long and thin like that. They looked different from matchstick fries, but maybe they were the same thing. I'm sure it starts with, "I just took a whole buncha potatoes..."

Why does Ree drop the "g" off the end of her words? Drives me crazy.

Lastly, I was mostly intrigued during the entire episode with what some of those presents to Ladd actually were. Like what blue ropy thing. Do tell Ree.

• Love 2

She has some serious issue with gender based food.  Bizarre.  And really, who is she trying to convince that she's a delicate flower that eats a clean, plant-based diet?  Just one look at her rear-end and carb-face and that pretty much blows that girlie thing up.

• Love 2

I think the girls got Ladd horse related presents. I know they got him a new rope, maybe a lead rope for a horse, a halter, and a cinch, which is used to keep the saddle in place. That's all I can remember. Did they name anything else?

Love this snarking!  LOL  You ladies have me laughing, and your comments are right on.

Where I live, there were two Ladd's birthdays this week.  In the first one, the kids gave Ladd homemade cards and gifts of chores they promised to do for him.  I loved seeing that one because of what the kids did.  The other show wasn't as good, I thought.  Ladd was tired, and Cowboy Josh dragged in at the last minute.

Since watching this show, I have been amazed by all the sweet things she feeds those kids.  I'd think the dental bills would eat up their income as well as their teeth.  The real winner (?) was Ree's preparation of Banana Boats for the kids and their grandma on "campout night."  All she did was slice open the bananas, then pour bags of candy into the middle of them.  She wrapped those "boats" in foil and baked them until, as she said, the insides melted into "an oo-ey, gooey mess!"  Naturally, she said the kids loved them. That's a great recipe, Ree -- plus every kid over the age of two, who was watching the show with his mom, was whining, "How come YOU don't make Banana Boats, Mom?"  

• Love 2

I think the people who plan the schedule at Food Network smoke a lot of weed and then then brainstorm what the weekly themes will be.  There's got to be a Cap'n Crunch week coming soon.  Ree will be sure to incorporate it into a quesadilla. 

• Love 4