Type keyword(s) to search

Original Flavor Season Talk: Dinner at Rodbell's

10 minutes ago, Dee said:

Wow. I wonder how they'll handle Glenn Quinn's death.

I think that's the easy part; neither couple is likely to still be together, so Mark not being around is easy to explain, especially if they split up without having kids.  But, since they tend to like a degree of symmetry with real life, maybe they'll have Mark be dead rather than just gone.  They could go with Roseanne's idea, years ago, of Mark having enlisted in the military for the money and benefits, and gotten killed.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think that's the easy part; neither couple is likely to still be together, so Mark not being around is easy to explain, especially if they split up without having kids.  

In the last episode, Becky was supposed to have been newly pregnant. We'll see what happened there, I guess. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, UYI said:

In the last episode, Becky was supposed to have been newly pregnant. We'll see what happened there, I guess.

I guess I repressed that memory.  I remember the "we're trying to have a baby" scene when Dan and Roseanne were going to ask Mark and Becky to move out, but not that she actually got knocked up.  Well, that's sad, but there's still the possibility that she's the one who made more of her life than Darlene did, which, after what a horrible beast Darlene became in the later seasons, is my wish. 

• Love 2

I'm beyond excited about this. They might explain Dan's death and the switching of the husbands by saying it was all in Roseanne's book. I wonder if they will be rich from the lottery or if they'll go back to basics. 

I'm having a bout of insomnia and just ordered this and the chicken shirt. I'm debating on getting a Lanford Lunch Box shirt. 

view.jpg

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I guess I repressed that memory.  I remember the "we're trying to have a baby" scene when Dan and Roseanne were going to ask Mark and Becky to move out, but not that she actually got knocked up.  Well, that's sad, but there's still the possibility that she's the one who made more of her life than Darlene did, which, after what a horrible beast Darlene became in the later seasons, is my wish. 

Yeah, it was the scene where Mark & Becky are alone visiting baby Harris after she comes home. I can't remember the exact line right now that reveals it, but I do remember that they decide to keep quiet for the time being, as it's David & Darlene's day and they didn't want to upstage them.

I could see it being treated as a throwaway line (like you, I was happy the idea of Becky being pregnant was avoided when she originally eloped with Mark), but you never know. 

8 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I'm having a bout of insomnia and just ordered this and the chicken shirt. I'm debating on getting a Lanford Lunch Box shirt. 

@Maharincess I'm sorry about the insomnia.  I've seen the chicken shirt but neither of the other two.  I love the cycle shirt and would like to see the Lunch Box one.  Do you have a link, please?

I wonder if the revival shows will be 20 years out?  I'd almost prefer them to be about 10 years.  Eight episodes could be from Thanksgiving week through Christmas week, with preteen/early teen kids.  David and Darlene could be sharing custody after the divorce.  Becky could be raising a young child on her own after Mark's accidental death at work.  Jackie could have sold her house to one of the girls, (preferably Becky because maybe Darlene is back in Chicago), so that she could purchase the house next to Dan and Roseanne.  DJ could be creating films anywhere.  All the available actors could get together for the holiday meals.  This is where my mind has been wandering, anyway.  

Of course, everything that doesn't quite fit, like Dan being alive, could just be explained away as being part of the book.  I'm excited for this.  Roseanne looks great these days.  Like she's doing much better.  Even better than she looked on Roseanne's Nuts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4456696/Roseanne-revival-Roseanne-Barr-underway.html?ito=social-facebook3FB5EE2D00000578-4456696-image-a-51_1493

• Love 5

She looks great in that picture.  She has for years; once all the plastic surgery "settled" and she got a little older, she looked very good.  Not that I ever thought she looked bad, mind you, just that I really dig her look.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She looks great in that picture.  She has for years; once all the plastic surgery "settled" and she got a little older, she looked very good.  Not that I ever thought she looked bad, mind you, just that I really dig her look.

I agree. She looks great in that picture. She looks genuinely happy as if she's in a good place in her life. 

Both she and John look good, weight-wise.  They could easily retcon the lottery and everything after the heart attack and say that with grandchildren arriving they decided to focus on their health. 

• Love 5
On 4/28/2017 at 1:56 PM, Aja said:

Lecy? I hope Lecy!

I hope so too. I never warmed up to Sarah Chalke in the Becky role. And even though I'm sure she's a decent actress and a lovely person, either she grates on my nerves, or I disliked her as Becky enough that I've never liked her in other roles.

• Love 5
On 5/2/2017 at 10:31 PM, ShellSeeker said:

I hope so too. I never warmed up to Sarah Chalke in the Becky role. And even though I'm sure she's a decent actress and a lovely person, either she grates on my nerves, or I disliked her as Becky enough that I've never liked her in other roles.

I never liked Sarah as Becky either, never felt right. Loved her on Scrubs, but please bring Lecy back. 

• Love 6

Color me stupid, but just now, thanks to an episode of MASH on which he played a guest patient, I just realized that Danny Noonan from Caddyshack played Fred on Roseanne.  Duh!

• Love 1

From Wikipedia:

In April 2017 it was announced that there will be an eight episode revival series of Roseanne and it is currently being shopped around to various networks. Most of the main cast is expected to return however it is unknown if Goranson will reprise her role as Becky.[5] In May 2017, it was confirmed she would return.

• Love 2

I'm watching the Disney episodes and I'm amused that they were able to plan a trip on a week's notice. As someone who has been to Disney World multiple times, I can't imagine trying to schedule a trip for 8 people staying on site with one week's notice, especially when there is a plane flight involved. 

1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

I'm watching the Disney episodes and I'm amused that they were able to plan a trip on a week's notice. As someone who has been to Disney World multiple times, I can't imagine trying to schedule a trip for 8 people staying on site with one week's notice, especially when there is a plane flight involved. 

Well David was their travel agent... And Roseanne did fake being Mrs. Habib. Lol.

• Love 2

Mrs. Readster and I were just watching Dan's 39th/PMS episode, wow! There are moments that are hilarious and moments where I was waiting for the family to push Roseanne out of a speeding car. Ok, here is the truth, I hate sitcoms who write women that they mood swing like no one's business when it's that time of the month. However, have I, my wife or even my brothers seen or experience women from 14 and up having mood swings and PMS like no tomorrow? Oh yes, however, we you know knew how to open our mouths and go: "Ok, enough!" "We know you are being ruled by hormones right now, but stop treating us like we are to blame for anything. If you did this to a cop you would be arrested." Guess what? They walked away and later apologized. The episode problems is that Jackie, Crystal and the girls acted like they had never seen Roseanne like this. Dan has known since Day 1 that Roseanne gets that bad every "28 days" as he put it. Yet, by the end of the episode, Roseanne thinks Dan gets like this every month, when he is worn out from dealing with her shift in personalities. That was showing early on Roseanne being so self centered at times, she doesn't see her own faults. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, readster said:

Mrs. Readster and I were just watching Dan's 39th/PMS episode, wow! There are moments that are hilarious and moments where I was waiting for the family to push Roseanne out of a speeding car. Ok, here is the truth, I hate sitcoms who write women that they mood swing like no one's business when it's that time of the month. However, have I, my wife or even my brothers seen or experience women from 14 and up having mood swings and PMS like no tomorrow? Oh yes, however, we you know knew how to open our mouths and go: "Ok, enough!" "We know you are being ruled by hormones right now, but stop treating us like we are to blame for anything. If you did this to a cop you would be arrested." Guess what? They walked away and later apologized. The episode problems is that Jackie, Crystal and the girls acted like they had never seen Roseanne like this. Dan has known since Day 1 that Roseanne gets that bad every "28 days" as he put it. Yet, by the end of the episode, Roseanne thinks Dan gets like this every month, when he is worn out from dealing with her shift in personalities. That was showing early on Roseanne being so self centered at times, she doesn't see her own faults. 

I think Dan getting moody every month was just a punchline to end the scene out.

I often think about if I ever introduced a friend to the show, which episodes I would start them on... The PMS one is not one just because of Roseannes behaviour like you said. Theres times when she has attitude and it's funny but there are a lot of times when she has attitude and it's scary lol.

• Love 4

Dan could be scary too. When he used to roar like a bull I was always amazed by her equanimity. I would have run for my life if a big man like that started to bellow at me. I just wasn't brought up around raised voices. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Dan could be scary too. When he used to roar like a bull I was always amazed by her equanimity. I would have run for my life if a big man like that started to bellow at me. I just wasn't brought up around raised voices. 

Oh I agree, he could be very scary. Main times that I thought he was going to tear someone in half was Becky's grocery store manager, when Leon was trying to buy Roseanne out of The Lunchbox, When he yelled at Becky for messing around with his bike with Mark and of course when David told Dan he had been living with Darlene at college. 

• Love 4
On 6/11/2017 at 7:00 PM, readster said:

Oh I agree, he could be very scary. Main times that I thought he was going to tear someone in half was Becky's grocery store manager, when Leon was trying to buy Roseanne out of The Lunchbox, When he yelled at Becky for messing around with his bike with Mark and of course when David told Dan he had been living with Darlene at college. 

Poor David. I wasn't sure he was going to make it out alive.

• Love 3

The PMS episode was written by Tom Arnold, which I always found most amusing. The man was probably writing from experience! It's not my favorite episode, but I laugh *every* time I watch the scene when everyone realizes it's that time of the month and DJ dramatically yells "OH MY GOD"!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

The PMS episode was written by Tom Arnold, which I always found most amusing. The man was probably writing from experience! It's not my favorite episode, but I laugh *every* time I watch the scene when everyone realizes it's that time of the month and DJ dramatically yells "OH MY GOD"!

The fall that DJ made afterwards was unscripted. Michael Fishman really fell out of that chair, and they just kept it in. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I rewatched a lot of the seasons recently and noticed something I never did before... In the episode with Joan Collins, it is revealed that Roseanne stole a car and then totaled it...

Then a season or two later, DJ steals a car and wrecks it and Roseanne totally flips out on him. Hypocrisy much?

Edited by Mmmfloorpie
29 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Then a season or two later, DJ steals a car and wrecks it and Roseanne totally flips out on him. Hypocrisy much?

I don't see how it's hypocrisy. Most people do stupid shit as kids/teens that, even though they came through it OK, they don't want their kids to repeat. DJ stole a car--at an age he couldn't even legally drive let alone actually drive--and left it in a ditch or whatever. I know that was the hitting episode and I won't get into all that, but he SHOULD have been punished in some way. He could have died. He could have killed someone/himself. He was old enough to know better.Then he just left the car and let everyone think the worst. It was a big. fucking. deal. If parents couldn't punish children for mistakes they also made as children then, yiiiikes. What a world that would be.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, BookThief said:

I don't see how it's hypocrisy. Most people do stupid shit as kids/teens that, even though they came through it OK, they don't want their kids to repeat. DJ stole a car--at an age he couldn't even legally drive let alone actually drive--and left it in a ditch or whatever. I know that was the hitting episode and I won't get into all that, but he SHOULD have been punished in some way. He could have died. He could have killed someone/himself. He was old enough to know better.Then he just left the car and let everyone think the worst. It was a big. fucking. deal. If parents couldn't punish children for mistakes they also made as children then, yiiiikes. What a world that would be.

I agree, my wife and I had two uncles with their friends stole a car, but they were 16, could legally drive. They took their parent's "cool cars" and one got stuck in a snow bank and the other got a flat and had no spare. They told their dads the cars were stolen and given the circumstances. They never found out. The problem with DJ, he was way too young and we never eve had Dan and Roseanne deal with the kid who dared DJ. Granted, DJ did it, but at the same time, who put him up to it? Who dared him? Yet, that was never addressed. I hate episodes like that, or they have it where the kid is caught and the other parents defends the kid when seriously, they did something very stupid. 

So I was watching re-runs on CMT today and they played the episode where Roseanne got hired and started working at the hair salon. On re-watch, I can't believe how rude Roseanne was to Marcia, the owner of the salon. I get that she thought the job was demeaning, but Marcia treated her really well and ended up giving her a raise on her second day of work. You'd think coming off a shitty job like Chicken Divine, she would've been happy to work in a place where everyone was nice and respectful. Maybe she was trying to stress the overarching theme of how Roseanne's character was always forced to settle for less in life, but being a receptionist isn't all that bad. Especially in comparison to telephone sales and fast food. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

So I was watching re-runs on CMT today and they played the episode where Roseanne got hired and started working at the hair salon. On re-watch, I can't believe how rude Roseanne was to Marcia, the owner of the salon. I get that she thought the job was demeaning, but Marcia treated her really well and ended up giving her a raise on her second day of work. You'd think coming off a shitty job like Chicken Divine, she would've been happy to work in a place where everyone was nice and respectful. Maybe she was trying to stress the overarching theme of how Roseanne's character was always forced to settle for less in life, but being a receptionist isn't all that bad. Especially in comparison to telephone sales and fast food. 

They also built the salon up for a while with the characters and Roseanne could have gone farther, but as we know. That would mean Roseanne would have to move beyond her means of living by going to cosmetology school or anything. Of course, she could have learned from Marcia very well and then done it and been a partner in the salon. However, we had to get the diner and Leon instead. 

• Love 2

She said the beauty shop job was demeaning. They also never addressed when she left that job either.

I like the episodes when she's working at Rodbelles. The girls were at the right age for lots of stories. If you look closely, Tibet McGuire and Leonardo play extras. Tobey is in the restaurant and Leo is in Darlenes class. 

I also like the episodes when they first had the diner.  Bringing the mom in full time was great. 

Of course that last year was terrible. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Stephanie1216 said:

She said the beauty shop job was demeaning. They also never addressed when she left that job either.

I like the episodes when she's working at Rodbelles. The girls were at the right age for lots of stories. If you look closely, Tibet McGuire and Leonardo play extras. Tobey is in the restaurant and Leo is in Darlenes class. 

I also like the episodes when they first had the diner.  Bringing the mom in full time was great. 

Who is Tibet McGuire? 

I just watched The Thrilla Near Vanilla.  I hated David in this one. The way he kept saying that DJ put no effort into his art project and shouldn't be allowed to go out with Mark really pissed me off.  He's living there rent free and its none of his damn business what DJ's parents allow him to do. I usually like David but he irked me this time. 

Thanks @harrie.  I didn't think of that. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I just watched The Thrilla Near Vanilla.  I hated David in this one. The way he kept saying that DJ put no effort into his art project and shouldn't be allowed to go out with Mark really pissed me off.  He's living there rent free and its none of his damn business what DJ's parents allow him to do. I usually like David but he irked me this time. 

Thanks @harrie.  I didn't think of that. 

I agree on that and they just aired the episode where Bev offered to take care of baby for Jackie and Fred and where the phrase: "Call her Bev or Seahag" came from. I have a problem because Fred wasn't in the wrong. I mean, he didn't live with Roseanne and Jackie growing up and had the hatred they had towards Bev because of her letting their dad beat them. I love how Dan stepped in saying: "She was great taking care of the kids." My problem is that they have DJ doing some very stupid and weird stuff just to fit the plot that Fred finds DJ so odd. Putting the baby in a cooking pot, putting magnets on his head hoping he'll get a headache. I get Jackie is just used to it, but she could have just said to Fred: "That's your nephew now, you except the rest of the family weirdness, why not DJ?" The episode comes off weird at times. Especially with Roseanne faking her stress situation during her pregnancy and puts poor David in the middle. Another issue with Becky, when Roseanne said she was knocked down and David was ahead of her. These years with Sarah as Becky were just too much. I hated them and Mark didn't come off any better.

• Love 3
(edited)

I just saw another one where David stepped way over the line. Its the one where Jackie becomes addicted to the internet. That little shit unplugged Jackie's computer while she was yelling at him not to. It doesn't matter if he thinks she's on too much. If Jackie wants to spend all night in an Urkel chatroom, it's ok.  Once again, not his god damn business.  

I know that no actual sex was done in Roseanne and Dan's bed but I was always creeped out by the big picture of DJ on their night table. I have never had a picture of my kids in my room. I couldn't imagine being in the middle of...uh, intimate time and looking over to see my kids face staring at me.  Total mood spoiler. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2
On 6/16/2017 at 10:01 PM, BookThief said:

DJ did the EXACT same thing as Roseanne did though. And I don't think they were that different in age. Not sure if they mentioned Roseanne's age but cousin Ronnie would have been 16 say because she had a car and Roseanne is said to be younger because she looked up to her and was going to follow her etc. So Roseanne would have been 13-15. I think by the DJ episode he was 12-13. So not that different in age.

The problem is I think everyone just forgot Roseanne is said to have done the same thing. Otherwise they would have had DJ do something different.

• Love 1
On 6/20/2017 at 8:06 PM, Stephanie1216 said:

Also Alyson Hannigan from How I Met Your Mother was one of Becky's friends when Roseanne first started working at Rodbells. "Yeah, chill out Becky!".

• Love 2

Watching the episode with Leo DiCaprio and Roseanne teaching home ec... Talk about bad editing. 

Darlene: "So I guess I should just throw out this letter [from her school inviting Dan to talk about his career]?"

Roseanne: "Ya, you might as well."

Then fade out and into the picture of the school bus in front of the school.

Teacher: "Ok let's welcome Mrs Conner to our career day!".

Huh???

But Roseanne never had any intention of just letting it go.  Right after that, Jackie asks, "What's the matter, Darlene having problems at school?" and Roseanne says, "Not yet."  Then we cut to the home-ec class.

They may have cut the scene early in syndication.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

"Ok let's welcome Mrs Conner to our career day!".

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

But Roseanne never had any intention of just letting it go.  Right after that, Jackie asks, "What's the matter, Darlene having problems at school?" and Roseanne says, "Not yet."  Then we cut to the home-ec class.

And this is the premise of the entire show.  Showing what it takes to run a family in the real world, where money problems really do exist.

Students:  Why do we need Corn Flakes?

Roseanne:  Because how else do you turn 2 pounds of ground beef into 10 pounds of mouth-watering meatloaf?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Watching the episode with Leo DiCaprio and Roseanne teaching home ec... Talk about bad editing. 

Darlene: "So I guess I should just throw out this letter [from her school inviting Dan to talk about his career]?"

Roseanne: "Ya, you might as well."

Then fade out and into the picture of the school bus in front of the school.

Teacher: "Ok let's welcome Mrs Conner to our career day!".

Huh???

What I remember from that episode is that after reading the letter Roseanne gets upset that Dan was asked and not her. She thought it was sexist, so she was determined to go herself.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What I remember from that episode is that after reading the letter Roseanne gets upset that Dan was asked and not her. She thought it was sexist, so she was determined to go herself.

And Peacheslatour shows another example of why Roseanne was groundbreaking.  In earlier television shows, the mail would always be addressed to the husband.

To show how far things have come, imagine how insulted you would be if you answered the phone and the caller asked,  "May I speak with the man of the house?"

But it was just accepted back in the day.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 2

Yep.

"You know what makes me mad about this?  How come it's automatically made out to you and not me?"
"Honey, I am the professional in the family."
"Oh, right; I forgot about your Master's in drywalling.  The real reason is just 'cause you're a man. ... Like I'm not good enough for their little junior high school career day? Like some housewife doesn't have anything important to say?"

The Becky, who is pissed at Darlene for taking something of hers without asking, says, "It's an outrage, Mom.  I say go show them how tough your job really is."

Roseanne says maybe she will, Darlene objects, we get the great "Are you embarrassed of your mother/Don't get offended; I'm just as embarrassed of dad" exchange, they get distracted by the D.J. has a twinkie bully revelation, and then we get back to the conversation that precedes the cut to the scene at school.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yep.

"You know what makes me mad about this?  How come it's automatically made out to you and not me?"
"Honey, I am the professional in the family."
"Oh, right; I forgot about your Master's in drywalling.  The real reason is just 'cause you're a man. ... Like I'm not good enough for their little junior high school career day? Like some housewife doesn't have anything important to say?"

The Becky, who is pissed at Darlene for taking something of hers without asking, says, "It's an outrage, Mom.  I say go show them how tough your job really is."

Roseanne says maybe she will, Darlene objects, we get the great "Are you embarrassed of your mother/Don't get offended; I'm just as embarrassed of dad" exchange, they get distracted by the D.J. has a twinkie bully revelation, and then we get back to the conversation that precedes the cut to the scene at school.

God, I loved that episode. "Uh, can I be expelled?"

• Love 2

I love it, too.  Everything that has already been mentioned, plus:

When they show up at the store and Roseanne looks at the girls and asks, "Weren't there some boys in this class?"  One of them says they didn't want to come; they think grocery shopping is a girl thing, and Roseanne says, "Yeah, well, get used to that."

Darlene's horror upon learning she's eating generic Frankenberries, and her quest to keep that quiet.

Jackie speaking in pig latin, and Roseanne's "O-kay do-kay" reaction and Dan's even better one that doesn't properly translate in writing.

Jackie trying to take Dan down and his, "Ouch!  You pulled a hair out."

Someone in the class asking Roseanne what she really wanted to do with her life, and her saying, "Well, I tried lounging on the beaches of Europe, but somehow that just left me empty.  No, believe it or not, I really wanted to have a family.  Maybe not the one I got, but ..."

Meryl picking a steak at the meat counter, and Roseanne saying that's okay because her dad's a dermatologist.  "How about somebody without a trust fund.  Darlene, what are we having for dinner tonight?"  Darlene:  "Well, I'm eating at Meryl's house."

The in-jokes about the tabloids.

The recipe for meatloaf concluding with it being done when the oldest kid comes downstairs and groans, "Not meatloaf again."

Meryl saying, "I don't see why I have to be stuck in this kitchen cooking dinner for this family," prompting all the others to agree, and Roseanne saying, "This is a proud, proud, proud moment for me, girls. Now you're sounding like real housewives."

One of them asking Dan what salad dressing he wants, and Roseanne translating it for him to "orange or red?"

Darlene telling Roseanne this has made her realize how tough Roseanne's job really is -- so she's going to get a really good job or marry a rich guy so she doesn't ever have to do it.

The entire exchange with the bully's dad, especially "Settle down or I'll give my wife a doughnut to kick your butt" and "The kid's a genius/He's an extortionist!" about D.J.'s Twinkie plan.

And the tag, where Jackie jumps on Dan in a sneak attack, and he just walks around with her clinging to him.  "If you start to black out, tap me twice."

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

And the tag, where Jackie jumps on Dan in a sneak attack, and he just walks around with her clinging to him.  "If you start to black out, tap me twice."

That is my favorite part of the whole episode.

• Love 3

Just watched the Commercial episode. Another classic. Sad to see the Bowman's move. She was a great foil to Roseanne.

I assume they got rid of them so they could move in the Tildens with the two teen daughters since the producers likely knew Lecy was leaving at this point. 

• Love 2

Watched the episode where Roseanne works her last shift at Rodbell's. Part of me hated how they closed the diner as those episodes are arguably the best. 

But then I think about how the show stayed fresh by switching up Roseanne's jobs and other parts like the various neighbours over the years. It wasn't the exact same storylines and supporting cast for the entire 9 years.

I would say that when they opened The Lunchbox that was the beginning of the end of the show. They had security for the last 4 seasons. Would have been better if they kept switching it up.

Now that I'm thinking about it, part of what makes Roseanne great is the focus on her worklife. It is almost equal to her home life like it is in real life.

So sick of other sitcoms where the parents have successful careers in advertising and seem to be home 23 hours of the day.

Marketing seemed to be big business in 80s sitcoms lol.

• Love 4