Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Race To The Red Carpet

These kids designs are pretty amazing.  As Kelly said, there was not a boring outfit on the runway. Given this was Broadway, I did think the winning design was the most appropriate.   I sure hope future adult contestants are sitting and taking notes! 

It was right that Matt went as there's just so many chances you should give the competitors.   And I have to say I'm glad I don't have to struggle with his gender agnosticism any more -- a beautiful person but I was having to work so hard to keep him defined (and I couldn't let it go for some reason)

Edited to correct names and comply with moderator suggestions.

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 3

I didn't remember any of the adult designers except Amanda.

I wasn't blown away by any of the designs this week. But that's probably because they only gave the kids five hours to make them.

Every design was ok I guess except for that hot mess (Matt speak) of a red dress by Zachary and Matt. That was pretty bad, ill fitting and ugly. And for a hot mess second I thought Tim was going to save Matt. Glad he didn't, he already had a second chance.

• Love 2

Matt didn't really deserve a third chance, though he turned out to be a nice kid despite trying to be a mean girl. 

I think the "Girl Squad" dress by Peytie & Maya was good, but not original.  It looks like what Taylor Swift already wears a lot.  

Glad my girl Samantha is still safe.  I was glad to see Amanda & Fabio, I hope they're both doing well and seeing some success. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

I just love these kids. They don't bicker, they don't whine, they support each other, and they're *so* talented. Even Matt was sweet and appreciative in defeat. This show is my happy TV place, basically.

That said, I kind of think Zach was robbed again. I'll grant that Peytie and Maya's look was more surprising, but Zach and Samantha's had such a good balance between modern and classic, and between understated and wow. I didn't think there was anything really bad on the runway tonight (although Zachary and Matt's really was tortured, as the judges said), but Zach and Samantha's was the one I wanted to steal right off the stage.

Nice to see some of the more likeable PR:Original Recipe designers. Not Amanda, but the other three are all talented and nice.

• Love 9

Ohhhhhhh, thanks for making that connection: hadn't realized it was another promotional oppty for the Weinsteins.  I should have guessed as much.    At least we don't have the gorgeous, beautiful, Georgina to deal with at the same time...

• Love 3

I actually liked all the designs on the runway, even Zachary and Matt's red dress. I liked that they were all different looking. I know there were only four designs, but at least there was variety among the designs. This would have been the episode where I would not have wanted anyone eliminated, because I think they all did well. I would have rather someone not be sent home when there seemed to be four decent designs as opposed to an episode where there were two obvious not great designs. I understand that Matt and Zachary's design was the weakest of the bunch but I still liked it, especially over the outfits Matt and Samantha did in the episode where neither went home.

That said Matt was the right person to send home. A third chance would be a bit much. I thought Matt was very gracious toward the judges and Tim after he was cut. 

I am really glad I did not have to see another baggy jacket by Samantha in this challenge.

I enjoy these kids, but I am so over the term "girl squad" (and "squad goals") said by anyone.

• Love 4

So wait, Finding Neverland was the tangential inspiration for this challenge and they took the kids to the theater but they didn't actually give them tickets to the show? I thought when the host asked who had seen the show before, she said that only two of them raised their hands. I remember they let all the PR contestants watch the show last season so it seems like the least they could do is let the PR: Junior designers see it too.

It was fun to see how excited the designers got when each of the PR alumni contestants entered the workroom. And high five to Sanjia for keeping Bridget from having a complete meltdown. I only wish she had busted out the infamous "you can cry, but you have to cry and cut" quote.

It's a good thing that Bridget and Jaxson listened to Tim because that pink and burgundy dress they had on the dress form was HIDEOUS. Both colors were terrible on their own and even worse together. Their third iteration was a huge improvement but I couldn't understand why the Seventeen magazine lady said she had never seen anything like it before. I'm no fashionista but I know I have seen a one shouldered dress with one long sleeve and a slit up the side before.

Zach and Matt's red dress was not horrible in theory but the execution was sorely lacking. It was ill fitting which made the cut outs seem really tacky and cheap looking, like something you would find in the juniors section at Macy's during prom season.

I really liked Peyie and Maya's design. No, it's not the most innovative thing I've ever seen but it was miles better than anything else on the runway and it was definitely something that young (20-something) female celebrities would wear to a red carpet event, which is more than can be said about the other designs.

Samantha and Zachary's design was okay but Tim was correct that the drama was all in the cape because the jumpsuit was just okay. It wasn't terrible or anything, but without the cape, it was not really red carpet worthy.

It's only the fifth week and there are still seven designers left, but they're getting rid of the winner having immunity already?

I groaned when Tim said that this week was another team challenge because I'm so used to team challenges being used as a source of conflict and drama  on the regular show, so it was really nice to see that once again everyone was mature, communicated well, and collaborated without bullying. Once again, these young designers prove that they are far more mature than some of the shit stirring jerks that PR casts for the regular show.

I try to give these kids a lot more leeway than regular PR contestants because they are younger, but how could Zachary* not know what dubious means? I learned that word in elementary school. I remember in the first or second episode, one of the girls didn't understand something that Tim Gunn said to her and I had the same reaction. It's not like he's using SAT level words with them. At least Zachary said he was able to get the gist of it by the look on Tim's face. The educational system is letting me down, man.

* I know that we have a Zach and a Zachary this season but I can never remember which one is which!

• Love 4

i do love watching these designers...they really are not only talented, but incredibly decent human beings. That said, I am really rooting for both Peytie and Maya. They made a great team, and they totally redid their effort with less than 2 hours to go...amazing to watch. Both took Tim's criticism to heart...smart move on their part.

Glad that Zachary was saved...his effort to work as a team with Matt really undermined his work...Matt is a very nice kid but he doesn't have Zachary's chops.

The cape thingy by Samantha and Zach overshadowed the ill-filling top on their outfit. Not impressed with their skills. I'm thinking, would any stylist dress her star to look like Batgirl on the runway. I think not.

• Love 2

I also liked that Zach told the woman from Finding Neverland that the death scene was beautiful, after he asked if she played the mother. I thought it was endearing.

Another thing I like is that these kids do not shy away from making pants that much. On original recipe PR sometimes it feels like the designers are afraid of making pants (Hell, Anya never made sleeves).

• Love 4

I feel like a horrible human being but I'm glad Matt is gone. I could never figure out why he was saved from his deserved axing in the first place. Nothing against the kid personally. I didn't see the bright shining talent that apparently others do.

And producers, stop trying to make Amanda happen.

Jesus, must have taken my crabby pill today! :-) I like Maya and Samantha and loved Bridget getting her "cry and cut" moment. She behaved better than many an adult we've seen on this show!

Fabio! He was always a favorite of mine, great to see him again!

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 7

I thought the right team won - they worked together well, made good choices, and managed to put in a couple of cool touches even with the limited time. (Has there been any mention of how they're doing the model assignments? Maya and Peytie's model has been with Samantha for a couple of episodes.)

The cape of Samantha's and Zach's was lovely and moved well, but I did not care at all for the jumpsuit. The top was ill-fitting (the darts looked like they ended up a few inches above the model's breasts), the crotch looked "insane!" (TM Michael Kors) and I thought the length of the pants wasn't quite right especially with that choice of shoe. Actually, didn't they say those were separates?

• Love 1

I didn't like the cape or the jumpsuit.  The wide shoulders on the cape were droopy and that's all there was to the cape except the fabric, which was doing all the work on that outfit. 

I kinda liked the losing outfit, if it had been made better and with different colors.  It could have had a Middle East flair to it, but it missed.

I'm enjoying this show so much that I am hating on the regular PR and what the producers have turned it into even more than I was.  This pared down version without the tons of product placements and gimmicks and nonsense is so much better.  Granted, they did the Neverland thing in this episode, so I am praying they don't keep going down that road.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

Really, how many times do we have to see that idiotic musical Neverland be touted? It looks stupid!

And I agree, I couldn't figure out why this show is much less of a slog than the original flavor PR. That it's only an hour helps, but the lack of product placement and excessive drama is refreshing. Plus (most of) these kids are talented!

Really, how many times do we have to see that idiotic musical Neverland be touted? It looks stupid!

I've never seen the musical and agree that the Weinsteins are pushing their agenda a bit too hard but have you ever seen the movie?  It is a truly lovely movie.  Like most movies it stretches and distorts the truth but the end result is 2 hours worth watching.

• Love 1

I loved Bridget and the purity of her meltdown.   It wasn't for the camera's benefit, it wasn't to draw attention to herself among the group, it was just because she's a kid and she was overwhelmed.   I wanted to hug her. 

It also pleased me that Maya and Peytie shined (shone?).  

Good that Zachary wasn't made to pay the price for Matt.    Matt's "dream team" bluster and bragging "we're the only ones who can pull this off" set up his downfall pretty obviously.   Still there was a moment when I thought he'd skate by again.   Or that Tim would save him.   It seemed unprofessional (and unfair) of Hannah to tell Matt that she personally saved him a couple weeks ago, because other designers paid the price for Matt's freight in the double elimination a week later.

• Love 6

Maya is an interesting problem solver - I enjoy her vision and that she doesn't seem to back down from a challenge. I think she and Peytie made a great team.  Their design was tasteful and clever. 

I was glad to see the alums, I love Sam! Well, all 4 were fine. Yes, even Amanda.

I noticed that while Kelly & Hannah were getting emotional at the aufing (and I agree, that Hannah's declaration may have crossed a line), Christian was poker-faced about the child who clearly has been deeply influenced by him - adapting his speech and mannerisms... I don't blame Christian, that's got to be tiring, but I found it interesting. 

• Love 3

All I know is that I'm waiting for the next official spin-off of Project Runway called Project Runway: Neverland because Weinstein is really about promoting his Broadway show.

Hmmm, I wonder if we'll get a Carol or Hateful 8 themed challenge now we're into Oscar season?

I wish Hannah explained what she saw in Matt's aesthetic 'cause it wasn't showing up on screen. 

Odd that Amanda was introduced as having been on two seasons but the other three "old people" being on All-Stars wasn't worth mentioning.

• Love 1

I was glad to see the old people, too, and unlike most here at ptv, I like Amanda. I didn't care for her much on her first season, but I fell for her hard when she came back for 13. Then again, that was such an unpleasant season, maybe I am just romanticizing Amanda. But I digress...

I LOVE Maya. Early on, I was rooting for Samantha (the Junior), but Maya has won me over to her side, hard. She is so much more mature than her 14 years and I have loved almost everything she has designed.

But then, I like all of these kids, even Matt. Matt seems to be obviously playing a character on the show, and I think he's got "some" skill, he's not without talent, certainly, but I do NOT see the level and talent that Hannah (without her horse) and Kelly O are seeing from him. Still, I will miss his OTTness. Bridget could have gone and I would have been a little MORE happy. She is the most unpleasant one left of the cast. I don't know how Jaxson is still there, but I like him, so I'm fine with it, whereas I just don't care much for Bridget at all. Which is hard for me to admit because compared to the contestants on regular PR, these kids are saints, all of them, even the ones with purple hair.

Strangely, the thing bothering me the most as the season wears on, is the JUDGES. Hannah does not have the gravitas of say, a Heidi Klum, so she really needs to stop acting as if she does. Christian seems to become more and more bored and detached. He barely even showed any emotion at Matt's aufing, which is fine, but if he's not invested in this, move on and let them find someone else. Kelly Osbourne is, amazingly, my favourite one on the panel. The Seventeen lady is wearing me out with her "This is not Project Runway fill in the blank" statement of the week. Also, she's constantly seeing things she's never seen before - in a small way, I agree with this because these kids are way more creative than almost anyone we've seen on PR since season 10 - which leads me to add, perhaps she needs to read more than just Seventeen and Cosmopolitan for what's happening lately in fashion.

Tim's not bugging me on PRJR, and I haven't said THAT, since about season EIGHT of PRO...

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

So wait, Finding Neverland was the tangential inspiration for this challenge and they took the kids to the theater but they didn't actually give them tickets to the show? I thought when the host asked who had seen the show before, she said that only two of them raised their hands. I remember they let all the PR contestants watch the show last season so it seems like the least they could do is let the PR: Junior designers see it too.

* I know that we have a Zach and a Zachary this season but I can never remember which one is which!

They did not take the kids to the theater, at least not as part of what was shown on TV.  They brought red theater seats into the Project Runway set.  

And it was six of the eight kids (everyone except Jaxson and Peytie) who raised their hands when she asked who had seen the show.  I think she then said, "a few of you?"  That was probably what was written on the teleprompter.  I'm guessing that a field trip to see Finding Neverland was an optional side trip made available to the contestants, and six of them went.

Unlike in grownup Project Runway, the challenge was not to design a look inspired by Finding Neverland. It was to create a red carpet look for a Broadway opening.  There wasn't any real tie-in to Neverland except that an actress from the show was there and, most importantly, Project Runway and Finding Neverland are both produced by the Weinstein Company.

I answer to your last question, Zachary is the slightly overweight kid who looks like he might be of Filipino ancestry.  Zach is the short African-American guy who sometimes wears a broad-rimmed hat.

And someone should have told Maya that getting paired with a contestant who has immunity is not a thing to celebrate.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak

Odd that Amanda was introduced as having been on two seasons but the other three "old people" being on All-Stars wasn't worth mentioning.

Because Amanda was on two regular seasons and the others weren't.

Apparently the producers were listening when everyone's complained about the amount of time the designers are given...  I think they should be grateful the kids didn't send the models down the runway in a paper bag with five hours to work.  Just ridiculous.

I've been getting the Zachary and the Zach confused, too.  And I had completely tuned out the girl with the purple hair who isn't Kelly Osbourne.

If Samantha Black is old, then I'm probably already dead.

I really liked that green dress.  It was one shoulder, and it looked like green leather from afar, which sounds awful.  But it was tailored so extremely perfectly to the model's body.  I was enamoured.  It was right up my alley.

I didn't realize that the black kid was named Zach - there is a Zach and a Zachary.  I enjoy all the kids except Samantha's kind of weird.  It made a lot of sense to me when she said she has no emotions.  No wonder I find it hard to relate to her.

I am so loving this show! It was adorable to see the kids totally fangirling and fanboying over the adult Project Runway designers. Matt was definitely the right one to go this week, but I liked how he was gracious about it - really, all of them have been. 

My favorites are Zachary, Peytie, and Bridget, but I like all of the kids. There's no one to hate on this show, which is a big change from the last several seasons of original Project Runway. 

Edited by Sister Havana
  • Love 3

I didn't remember any of the adult designers except Amanda.

I wasn't blown away by any of the designs this week. But that's probably because they only gave the kids five hours to make them.

I almost feel like they only gave the kids 5 hours to make the dresses because they didn't want them showing up the adults!

• Love 2