Type keyword(s) to search

Married By Mom And Dad - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Devin's vows... classy. "I'm done with hos".  Just what every bride and her family wants to hear.  Boy was sweating his weight out.  I think he like Ursala leading with the dance. He thrives on drama. Maybe this will work as much as these fake arranged marriages work.

Southern Baptist parents pick the Catholic guy over some dude with white foamy spittle on the corners of his mouth. As if that was the most objectionable thing about him. Catholic guy reminds me of Tom last year who married Christina. That seemed to work out. We'll see how blonde nitpicker does at the altar. Coming attractions show she has a meltdown because her wedding gown isn't there. Probably a production intentional mishap to cause drama.

Tahni is 5'10 spray tanned and 30. Having her mom and step mom pick out her husband. Sounds like step mom may no longer be married to her father. Another unusual parental relationship. Tahni (or however it's spelled) doesn't seem as annoying as the next bride to be who has rules about her decorative pillows.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lola16 said:

Tahni (or however it's spelled) doesn't seem as annoying as the next bride to be who has rules about her decorative pillows.

Boy, there are two brides this season that make it glaringly obvious why they are still single. First we have the bitchy one who yells--yells!--at her dad for sitting on the decorative pillows and starts nagging both of her parents about using coasters. Red flags waving all over the place with that one. 

Then we have psycho fussbudget who cannot have her food touching, suffers from what sounds like a case of misphonia, (which can be very difficult for other people in the household to deal with), and a bit of spittle at the corner of a dude's mouth is a deal breaker, despite the fact that he seemed to be charming, funny, and very handsome.

• Love 4
On 12/11/2016 at 3:08 AM, talktoomuch said:

How do you guys know Ursula slept with Devin? Or is this just speculation? 

I was able to finally watch the latest & I guess Ursula & Devin were not actually together yet; they just 'met' on SM?  With him it's so easy to think otherwise; maybe it was the wedding planner as that was stated.

On 12/12/2016 at 5:44 PM, Lola16 said:

Devin's vows... classy. "I'm done with hos".  Just what every bride and her family wants to hear.  Boy was sweating his weight out.  I think he like Ursala leading with the dance. He thrives on drama. Maybe this will work as much as these fake arranged marriages work.

Yeah that will be one to show the kids someday... hopefully they're 'careful' since this is probably doomed.

Southern Baptist parents pick the Catholic guy over some dude with white foamy spittle on the corners of his mouth.

As much as that can be icky it might've been a one time thing. I'd love to know if they judge them on some emails & one IRL meeting; that would be ridiculous. The religions/faiths are quite different, actually. Since they judged more on foam than on faith, I'm thinking her superficial concerns were inherited; the apple isn't falling far from the tree (especially 3x? divorced dad there).

On 12/12/2016 at 11:47 PM, gardendiva said:

Boy, there are two brides this season that make it glaringly obvious why they are still single. First we have the bitchy one who yells--yells!--at her dad for sitting on the decorative pillows and starts nagging both of her parents about using coasters. Red flags waving all over the place with that one.

I don't see much about pillow/coaster horrible vocal fry girl that is particularly likeable, never mind marriage material. I feel badly for the guy who ends up with her, but he's agreeing, sooooo, good luck there. I think those two really think they are such great catches & it's just the men that are the problem. As much as I sometimes (okay maybe too much) enjoy jumping on that wagon, it's obviously not the case here.

Tahni is 5'10 spray tanned and 30. Having her mom and step mom pick out her husband. Sounds like step mom may no longer be married to her father. Another unusual parental relationship. Tahni (or however it's spelled) doesn't seem as annoying as the next bride to be who has rules about her decorative pillows.

She seems like the most normal, but she's smacking of desperation. So what IF you never find that ONE? Why is she basing her entire life's happiness on finding a man to marry? Desperation is not an attractive quality & will lead to issues as well.

I feel like I have to see this through now but honestly, I find it particularly tough to watch this season.

• Love 1

I found myself cringing throughout the Devin/Ursula wedding section. Devin was so obviously uncomfortable that he practically was trying to chew off his leg to escape the trap he found himself in. I felt kind of sorry for Ursula; she seems like a good person, but she will be terribly hurt when she watches the episode and sees Devin say he is not attracted to her at all...that is all I could think about as I watched the two of them awkwardly endure the festivities.

It made for some very uncomfortable viewing on my part.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, gardendiva said:

I found myself cringing throughout the Devin/Ursula wedding section. Devin was so obviously uncomfortable that he practically was trying to chew off his leg to escape the trap he found himself in. I felt kind of sorry for Ursula; she seems like a good person, but she will be terribly hurt when she watches the episode and sees Devin say he is not attracted to her at all...that is all I could think about as I watched the two of them awkwardly endure the festivities.

It made for some very uncomfortable viewing on my part.

Well if she's anything like Sonia on 'Married at First Sight', perhaps she likes guys who are not attracted to her.

(Sorry to go off topic; just couldn't resist).

He looks a wreck & she seems oblivious, so far.

• Love 2

Ursula is way too good for that guy.   And any guy who ends up with either Bethany or Marissa will also be too good for them.  'Tis no wonder they need to go the desperate route of tricking some poor sap into a blind marriage.

• Love 1

I am a person who goes to the tanning bed so I'm not throwing stones here, but I had to laugh when Tahnee (ugh, that spelling) talked about living a healthy lifestyle and then jumps into a tanning bed that is notorious for causing all kinds of unhealthy shit! 

• Love 6

When Tahnee's mom and "bonus dad" and stepmom Lisa were interviewing Matt at the driving range -- did anyone notice Bonus Dad rubbing Lisa's back during the talking head segment after Matt had left? 

And with Lisa in the middle on the couch, with Bonus Dad's arm stretched out? Hmmm...

Watched the rest of the episode....then Bonus Dad and Lisa conferring together while Blonde Mom was in the rest room...

I wonder if TLC will do a spin-off show: Divorced by Daughter!

Edited by Intocats
  • Love 1

Did anyone else find it amusing when they juxtaposed footage of Devin listing all of his "demands" such as a clean house, fresh fruit in the morning and no burnt food as if he were the lord and master of the household, and Ursula chose that moment to emasculate him by making him sign a post-nup document to protect her assets? Ha. It was the perfect response to his mysoginistic and antiquated chauvinist beliefs

• Love 5

I am still trying to figure out why Ursula's parents hate Pennsylvania so much.  Where are they from?  Must be the Steelers-Ravens rivalry.  I saw that Devon played football for Duquesne University in Pittsburgh.  I am from Pittsburgh, went to Pitt, and didn't realize that Duquesne even had a football team, let alone having one of their players go to the NFL.  What NFL team did Devon play for?

Edited by JudyinDallas
Grammar
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, JudyinDallas said:

I am from Pittsburgh, went to Pitt, and didn't realize that Duquesne even had a football team, let alone having one of their players go to the NFL.  What NFL team did Devon play for?

Not discussed, but I was also curious.  The show certainly makes it seem like we should know who Devin Duggan is, doesn't it?  

Spoiler

Devin was on the 2012 Bills training camp roster (90 guys, whittled down to 53 before the season opens) so he was technically a Buffalo Bill for a few months in the off-season before getting cut from the active/practice rosters.  He also spent a few months playing Arena Football.

Basically, as an NFL fan, there wouldn't be any reason to know his name.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Chloecat said:

I think Lisa and bonus Dad are married, she married him after she split from Tahnee's Dad. Either way would never let those 2 choose anything for me.

Those two act like they are married and Blonde Mom is the third wheel. But I believe that Bonus Dad and Blonde Mom are married, and Lisa is the former wife of Tahnee's bio dad, and Tahnee has remained close to her. She said that her bio dad did not want to be part of the program.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Intocats said:

Those two act like they are married and Blonde Mom is the third wheel. But I believe that Bonus Dad and Blonde Mom are married, and Lisa is the former wife of Tahnee's bio dad, and Tahnee has remained close to her. She said that her bio dad did not want to be part of the program.

No. Blonde Mom was married to Bio Dad for a few years and they had Tahnee. Bio Dad got a job working for Lisa. Bio parents divorce. Bio Dad marries Lisa and Tahnee moves in with them.  Bio Dad and Lisa divorce.  Lisa marries Bonus Dad.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Lola16 said:

No. Blonde Mom was married to Bio Dad for a few years and they had Tahnee. Bio Dad got a job working for Lisa. Bio parents divorce. Bio Dad marries Lisa and Tahnee moves in with them.  Bio Dad and Lisa divorce.  Lisa marries Bonus Dad.

Thanks for clearing that up, Lola16! I thought for sure they were headed for a divorce spinoff! 

• Love 2

It was nice not seeing -terrible vocal fry miss perfect- this time around... back next time though. I find it hard to believe she will be able to have a happy marriage with anyone. Maybe dad ran from this whole thing.

Looked like Lisa & Bonus Dad will be manipulating Blonde Mom to their way of thinking, or at least trying to, or it's part of the story line; whichever. It's still a bit disturbing how desperate Tahnee comes off.

Agreed on the gown thing, unless it's a story line as well. They need some drama right? What better than forgetting the gown on the wedding day. The crazy wedding planner, who was calm day off thankfully, seemed almost too calm, like maybe she's playing along but the bride doesn't know so they got a reaction? Maybe I'm stretching here.

Devon & Ursula spend the whole wedding night clubbing with friends... they're not in any rush to actually get to know each other.

And she said she 'never wanted marriage or kids' (past tense sounding), and, she's married now. So they are probably producing drama there.

The only one demonstrating rational thought in this show seems to be Ursula's mom.

Devon - I forget exactly how he said it, but, something about a different level of respect that Ursula is prompting; how he's never had to chase women & now he feels he has to 'court her'. I had such a chuckle; he's totally out of his element LOL.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 3
On 12/25/2016 at 6:32 PM, ethalfrida said:

Is there anywhere else I can watch this? I got rid of cable. I do have Sling, Hulu and Amazon.

The TLC GO app has some of the episodes "unlocked", or viewable by everyone. The locked episodes require a cable TV or dish subscription to view.

• Love 1

I'm new to this site and trying to find my way around. Did not see this show listed  among the titles in the forum section so got a message and a link to this site....glad to meet you all!

This show really interests me because for so many cultures, for eons, arranged marriages were totally accepted. And many seemed to work out just fine!  But its funny to see the criteria some of these parents  use to make the choice..  Couples beware? Re: "The Duggans,"  the fact that Mom and Dad didn't ask if the new bride was interested in having children... and now find out she's not, ....something of a miss  But then, who knew he is a former go-go-dancer?  Or that her mother despises  the way she picked her mate?  But then, they seem kinda fun together, so...maybe?   The Laytons seem to have done a great job.  (Can't remember if he's the Catholic:)  Their vows....wow!  Billy the groom was just adorable.  And Bethany....shook off the  fact that she forgot to bring her wedding dress (?) to  make it all work.  Wow.  Congrats Billy and Bethany.  

• Love 5

I'm a bit weirded out by Bethany & Billy; too hot & heavy too soon. Maybe there's a crash coming or it's possible those two knew each other prior; the way he was 'selected' was just too odd to me. They may be heavily editing to make sure there's some drama with the in-laws, for something.

Tahnee is apparently out of luck, from the way the previews made it sound; they were all apologetic for letting her down. Two guys & they give up? That's either not trying very hard or they didn't have many to choose from; but then how many people would sign up for being 'chosen' to marry this way? The pool of candidates can't be that big.

Ursula may have got what she wanted. She admitted she was 'all kinds of messed up' that she likes that he was a dancer. She's either disconnected from her mom's true feelings about the whole thing or just doesn't care. She seems quite positive right now that it will all work out but I can picture the 'well we gave it a try but it just didn't work out' speech eventually. I kind of enjoyed that she wouldn't get his highness his mimosa even after he asked for it, maybe 5 times? She was counting LOL.

• Love 4
On 12/5/2016 at 10:30 AM, Kiki620 said:

Amen!!

Devin is proof that this show is only in it for the drama, not the "right reasons".  This idiot is not in any way ready for marriage.  What a greasy dolt. 

Yes, good Lord! I have no idea what it is with people trying to get married to a "Great Gatsby" themed wedding.  Do you like the 1920s? Have a 1920s themed wedding! Have they read the book? It doesn't exactly end very well for Gatsby. Also, I don't remember a  moron in a red tuxedo, but I haven't read the book in a while so there's that.  I think his dad is very sweet and has great intentions, but his mother thinks that he hung the moon and she is just as obnoxious as he is.  Fucking man child.   Also, and this is petty as hell, but the wedding planner that he fucked (proudly), was ratchet as hell.  Someone should tell him that if he's going to act like such a diva, he needs to be better looking. I would say that Ursula could do better, but she's not exactly rubbing me the right way either. 

The blonde girls husband and his "best friend" (another young, blonde girl) kind of set off signals for me.  She seems the most normal of the bunch, but her mom and her sticky sweet southern down talk just doesn't do it for me. She'll "Bless your heart!" while sticking a knife in your back.  No, thank you. Her dad seems simple. 

Why doesn't the girl with the red streaks just say that she wants a sugar daddy? Why doesn't she just come out and say it?  Listening to her talk is like a mental game of taboo. The word you can't say is MONEY!  It would be so much easier for everyone involved.   I love how she talks about her dad being  traditional type, but they have to wait on Mom's job to give her leave so she can take part in this debacle. SO TRADITIONAL. OH-KAY.  Also, please wear a bra when your dad is around. My God. 

• Love 6

I was cracking up at his "This is the 4th time I've asked for champagne" and "I've now asked for mimosas FIVE TIMES" and imagining my responses:
"Oh, is your telephone hand broken?"
"Hmmmm, still haven't figured out how to use the phone? sucks to be you."
"It's a shame you don't know how to use a phone. That must make life hard."
"Really, dude? You haven't gotten a clue yet? Wow......"

• Love 6

With the wedding dress fiasco:

How is it that the dress was an hour away from the venue, but it took four hours to retrieve it?  At most, it should have taken two hours.  At best, it should have been one hour, because the planner should have requested someone bring the dress and either get to the venue or meet them halfway.  No way that should have been four hours.  Incredibly stupid not to have gotten the dress in the first place, but nearly criminal that the planner was not creative and in control of the solution.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, b2H said:

With the wedding dress fiasco:

How is it that the dress was an hour away from the venue, but it took four hours to retrieve it?  At most, it should have taken two hours.  At best, it should have been one hour,

But! Extra drama! The wedding dress shop was actually CLOSED! Never miss the opportunity for EXTRA DRAMA!

• Love 3

The newly married couple definitely have sexual chemistry.  They were kissing all evening. 

The first married couple seem to be testing each other.  He is a mama's boy that wants his new wife to take care of him on his terms.  She is trying to set the boundaries.

• Love 3
On 1/6/2017 at 10:06 AM, TeapotWakeen said:

But! Extra drama! The wedding dress shop was actually CLOSED! Never miss the opportunity for EXTRA DRAMA!

Closed?  What the heck kinda wedding shop is closed during the day???  Did these guys get married on a Sunday afternoon??  A national holiday???  This is just dumb, even though I do like the initial chemistry, as LakeGal said.  I maintain that their wedding planner failed to do a decent job - she should have had all contact information for all vendors, no matter what.  Emergencies happen with any wedding.

• Love 2

Tahnee's ex-stepmom and bonus dad are all kinds of annoying. It's all about them. It was so obvious that guy #2 was not into marriage. He said it on date 1. Afraid of commitment. Guy 1 was nervous. Guy 2 wasn't into it. But ex-stepmom and bonus dad were somehow convinced that guy #2 is THE ONE! Because he has dark hair (ex-stepmom) and he's a MAN (bonus dad). Okkkkkkkkkkk. I don't think I'd let these 2 pick my dinner let alone my future husband. Now all 3 are tearful that they have to tell Tahnee that they "failed her". Um, what? You avoided a loser who would have stood her up at the altar. Who knows about guy #1 because he wasn't given a second shot because the extra parents weren't into him.

What a joke. If this is supposed to be picked by mom & dad, there shouldn't be only 5 guys to choose from on video and only 2 to meet. I can see they don't show us all but that's all the time invested?  And bio mom's complaint that meeting guy #2 for a second date was a waste of her time?! Wow. I get that she knew he was a no-go but the extra parents were going to choose him.

I think the parents shouldn't meet the potential mates but instead the other parents and then choose from that. That would be more exciting than this.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, b2H said:

Closed?  What the heck kinda wedding shop is closed during the day???  Did these guys get married on a Sunday afternoon??  A national holiday???  This is just dumb, even though I do like the initial chemistry, as LakeGal said.  I maintain that their wedding planner failed to do a decent job - she should have had all contact information for all vendors, no matter what.  Emergencies happen with any wedding.

They did say it was a Sunday. Regardless, I was thinking a bridal shop should keep track of their brides dates & pick ups; they know people get nervous & distracted. Although I have trouble understanding forgetting a bridal gown you probably just had a final fitting for maybe a week prior, & got a 'ready-date' for, I would think. And, a four hour delay?  The guests didn't seem concerned.  I'm thinking it was manufactured drama.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 2

Normally, I wouldn't expect the wedding planning to pick up the bride's dress but in this instance (and for Married at First Sight), when the gown is being paid for by someone else (the show) who also hired this wedding planner to take care of all the details, I would expect her to deliver everything or at the least tell me what I was responsible for.

It seemed very phony. 4 hours is a ridiculous amount of time to wait. Manufactured drama indeed.

• Love 3

Ursula is three times more intelligent than her husband, which is bound to cause them all kinds of problems.  For one thing, how could she ever respect him?  She'll have to look elsewhere just to have a normal, intelligent conversation with somebody, where she won't have to explain the difference between "council" and "console,"  not to mention the meaning of the word "consummate."  The sex alone won't be enough to keep her interested.  They are not on the same page in way too many areas.  I don't think it will take her very long to dump him.

Edited by Dittohead
had to correct typos :)
  • Love 10

I just watched Sunday's episode. Devin is such a self-centered, arrogant jerk. And man, is he stupid! Does not know what an audio book is. Urs will never stay with him. Bethany and Billy are adorable. Tahnee looks way older than 30. There is something so unpleasant about her personality and overall disposition. Marissa is a brat. Did not want to try surfing because she did not want to get her hair wet. BUT, the guy was a bit odd....that wacko smile.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Dittohead said:

Ursula is three times more intelligent than her husband, which is bound to cause them all kinds of problems.  For one thing, how could she ever respect him?  She'll have to look elsewhere just to have a normal, intelligent conversation with somebody, where she won't have to explain the difference between "council" and "console,"  not to mention the meaning of the word "consummate."  The sex alone won't be enough to keep her interested.  They are not on the same page in way too many areas.  I don't think it will take her very long to dump him.

So true.  Actually, can anyone think of ANYTHING they have in common?

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Bugfrey Von said:

I could go the rest of my life without hearing captain glottal fry's voice.   That girl is insufferable. It's a shame, considering her mom seems pretty decent. 

It is so freaky...the whole time I watched the part with Vapid Golddigger the word "insufferable" kept coming to mind. I am glad to see that you share my opinion :-)

Unfortunately, her mom grates on my last nerve because she doesn't seem to trust her own opinion. When her husband was unavailable to screen the candidates first (why they wouldn't do this as a couple baffles me), she decides she needs to drag the bride to be on the "dates", completely ruining the premise of the show. The potential suitor meeting her before they are actually married will also work against her, as nobody in their right mind would agree to be chained to that for the rest of their lives. It would only take about 5 minutes of talking her to discover she is  completely unsuitable as a life partner for anyone.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

It is so freaky...the whole time I watched the part with Vapid Golddigger the word "insufferable" kept coming to mind. I am glad to see that you share my opinion :-)

Unfortunately, her mom grates on my last nerve because she doesn't seem to trust her own opinion. When her husband was unavailable to screen the candidates first (why they wouldn't do this as a couple baffles me), she decides she needs to drag the bride to be on the "dates", completely ruining the premise of the show. The potential suitor meeting her before they are actually married will also work against her, as nobody in their right mind would agree to be chained to that for the rest of their lives. It would only take about 5 minutes of talking her to discover she is  completely unsuitable as a life partner for anyone.

YES. Yes yes YES! The show is called "Married by Mom and Dad", not "Vapid dodo decides whether you're worthy of marriage after reviewing your stock portfolio".  (...although to be honest, I'd probably watch that trash, too.) Dad actually struck me as kind of a jerk. I didn't like that he took the dudes shooting to scare (?) potential suitors. Guess what, dude? That sweet little angel you're protecting probably needs less help than these dudes' bank accounts once your silly daughter gets her "traditional" hands on them.

There is undoubtedly a type of man that would love to have this young thing on his arm, at a price. Someone should tell this girl that she is fully capable of supporting herself through her own merit and skills - and that people who marry for money have to earn every penny.

• Love 7

In the previews, as Vocal Fry and Dimwit Mom are on a "date" with a potential suitor, when he states that he is capable of taking care of a family, the mother seems to exclaim in joy at the same moment that dollar signs just about literally pop up in the eyes of Princess. She is not even smart enough to try to hide it.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, gardendiva said:

In the previews, as Vocal Fry and Dimwit Mom are on a "date" with a potential suitor, when he states that he is capable of taking care of a family, the mother seems to exclaim in joy at the same moment that dollar signs just about literally pop up in the eyes of Princess. She is not even smart enough to try to hide it.

Yeah. "That's what you need!"  What happened to teaching your children to be self-sufficient and stand on their own 2 feet?  I guess sending the bill to a sugar daddy's house rather than paying for yourself is easier? Sad. 

• Love 5

We need a sleuthing spoiler thread! How long ago was this filmed? Are they still together? Behind the scenes tidbits?

Love Ursula. Started out worrying about her getting dumped, but i think he is the one who should worry, she is out of his league.

Article on meathead:

http://www.tampabay.com/features/media/tlc-married-by-mom-and-dad-star-and-tampa-bay-man-talks-about-his-tv-life/2309185

Edited by Zanne505
Link corrected
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Zanne505 said:

We need a sleuthing spoiler thread! How long ago was this filmed? Are they still together? Behind the scenes tidbits?

Love Ursula. Started out worrying about her getting dumped, but i think he is the one who should worry, she is out of his league.

Article on meathead:

http://www.tampabay.com/features/media/tlc-married-by-mom-and-dad-star-and-tampa-bay-man-talks-about-his-tv-life/2309185

Relieved to hear that testing was done, given his premarital activity level. The wanting to be on TV & get attention - not a bit surprising. My guess is he's not the only one though; maybe the only one to be so bold as to just say it.

• Love 1

I also found the wording from the  article quite telling:

he went onto the National Football League. He was invited to training camps and to sign waiver contracts, but nothing stuck.

No wonder no one can find out anything about him playing for the NFL-- he didn't!

• Love 3