Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: We've Got Nothing But Love to Prove

As for Deacon's jealousy I just kept thinking, "Coach Taylor handled it a LOT better when someone kissed Tami."

I think Kyle Chandler should show up as a guest star and give Deacon a big pep talk about marriage and about life.

He would knock some sense into that man-baby and it would pull a lot of ratings because everyone is desperate to see a Kyle/Connie TV reunion.

• Love 8

That whole plot line with Deacon stomping his little cowboy boots like a 14-year-old girl does not draw me to him in any way.  Hard to root for someone who's throwing hissy fits because his wife has a business relationship with another man. I was convinced Deacon was going to drink out of spite when Rayna didn't show up on time to the Church of Beverly.  If they try to take us down that rabbit hole again, I am out.

Marcus is under contract and he's already an "international star" or some such nonsense, so Rayna sues and gets repaid, no?  How did she jump to the conclusion that she's ruined, I wonder.  But hey, luckily, it's country music and all you need is true love (check), and someone to make music with (check), and a truck (check).  She'll be back on top in no time because the whole damn family can go on stage together like the Partridge Family.

Love the dynamic between the three guys and Scarlett.  Those four together are pretty much the reason I've stuck with this so far.

Edited by FineWashables
  • Love 2

Yeah, I'm pretty much sticking around for the younger crowd. In all honesty, I fast-forwarded through all the Markus/Rayna/Deacon drama, I've long since stopped caring.

Luke's storyline was like I got hit in the back of the head with a ball of wet paper towels like, where the hell did THAT come from? That was probably the most random, out of left field plot they've come up with yet.

Church of Beverly

This made me laugh out loud. And then cry a little bit.

• Love 2

I think Kyle Chandler should show up as a guest star and give Deacon a big pep talk about marriage and about life.

He would knock some sense into that man-baby and it would pull a lot of ratings because everyone is desperate to see a Kyle/Connie TV reunion.

I'd love it if he just showed up at Deacon's bar as a customer and ended up having one of those talks and when he's gone we don't even get his name. Don't even announce him as a guest star then watch the internet freak out afterward. 

• Love 7

Madam Magpie - Couldn't agree more with that. I'm fed up with the way they are writing Deacon as being an immature idiot, made to look pathetic with his petty jealousy.

This episode was crazy. Everyone breaking up, too many storylines, too many characters, too many short scenes unable to deliver meaningful dialogue. There must have been about 40 scenes all consisting of about 2 minutes long - head-spinning. Didn't particularly like the bridge scene - although loved that Rayna has Deacon's ring on her finger - but didn't think Deacon needed to propose (and not on one knee - hate that). Would have been better if he just pulled the ring out of his pocket and said, 'I've got you this.' Thought it was contrived to repeat the 'what would you change' dialogue from episode 1.

I can only imagine the wedding will be the same format, rushed scenes, probably a few minutes of Rayna and Deacon's marriage, in order to make room for everyone else's story to be crammed in.

But as a Rayna and Deacon fan, I'm glad the writers finally gave us their engagement, with a ring. (What happened to the first ring - I suppose it will never be mentioned again).

Liked that Maddie was smiling widely at Deacon when he was on stage - think the writers forgot for a minute that she was supposed to be angry/scared of him.

I'm with you about the first ring. I can't believe the writers just dropped that. What the...what?? But here's the thing about the kneeling and cheese on the bridge and why it didn't bother me so much (and I haaaaaate that kind of "romance" typically)...

I think Deacon was trying to communicate a lot more there than just "will you marry me." He was trying to fix what he'd done before, how disastrously that went and how deeply it hurt Rayna. They actually flipped the everything/nothing line from the pilot, which worked really well. In the pilot, Rayna says first says she'd change nothing, meaning that of course she loves her family and both of her children and she wants them as they are. She wouldn't have had Daphne if her life had gone differently. Then she flips to "everything," as a way of telling Deacon she loves him and regrets the loss of their life together. Here, Deacon begins with "everything" because of course he wishes he'd stayed sober and they'd gotten married and raised their baby together. And when he says that, Rayna looks so sad, almost crushed by the realization that no matter what they do, they can't escape that loss. But then he switches to "nothing," basically reaffirming his forgiveness and understanding of her choices and validating her second child. Her expression totally changes. And then, he basically takes on the responsibility for all they lost and says, "I would do this one thing right, though": He would propose to her sober and present and totally in, because that really is the moment where it all went wrong. He also repeated what he said to her in the flashback, "I love you so much," etc. And his being so upset about her working with Markus called back the pilot when it was Rayna who was upset about his working with Juliette. From a storytelling perspective, that was all fantastic because of how much it communicated.

Someone else mentioned Rayna's label and suing Markus, I think that's probably true; she won't be a financial disaster. But she's still failing because what she wants is real label, not a joke. That was the the point of signing Markus. So the fact that she can't seem to choose ANYONE who's not a total emotional and professional disaster looks really bad. But maybe in the end, she'll still win the street cred Markus was supposed to give her. I don't know. I'd like to see her actually succeed with a musician, rather than just passively move along through her professional life.

Also, I forgot to say that I thought the fight in the bedroom was hilarious. Rayna saying "this is not a fight. I didn't kiss him. There's nothing for us to fight about" was awesome, and Deacon being so baffled by her was funny. I also really liked that on the bridge he acknowledged that she'd done nothing wrong.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 12

That whole plot line with Deacon stomping his little cowboy boots like a 14-year-old girl does not draw me to him in any way.  Hard to root for someone who's throwing hissy fits because his wife has a business relationship with another man. I was convinced Deacon was going to drink out of spite when Rayna didn't show up on time to the Church of Beverly.  If they try to take us down that rabbit hole again, I am out.

I got the impression that Deacon wasn't ticked because Rayna had a business relationship, but that that relationship had subsumed all the others in her life. The opening was a big deal for Deacon and she didn't show until he'd finished performing, and apparently hadn't called either because he didn't know what had happened with Markus - and Markus walked in the morning when the opening was that night. And they're in the middle of an argument about Markus kissing her and the first thing she does is pick up the text message in the middle of it. I can see where Deacon might think he wasn't all that important.

All that to say that I do think that Rayna should be able to prioritize Hwy 65 when she needs to and Deacon should be understanding of that, but she should also be aware of moments that are important to him. And honestly, the whole thing could have been avoided if they'd just used their words. Put the phone up for a second and let Deacon know that she'd be back to finish the talk, maybe Deacon could be allowed to grow back up and say "sorry, you go deal with that - can you take Bucky?" And then a call to Deacon to let him know that Markus had walked and she'd be late. Bam. Hurt feelings avoided. Oy.

• Love 4

You know, I (of all people) actually thought Rayna blew it by not making the bar opening. There are just some things you don't prioritize over the people you love, and I think she should have fallen all over herself to make it. And if she truly couldn't (did Markus seriously take all day??), she should have arrived breathless and very, very sorry. That bar opening was huge for Deacon. She should have made it work, especially since she failed with Markus in the end anyway. What was she really going to do that day that she couldn't do tomorrow?

• Love 8
Gunnar and the baby were adorable. Will is adorable. Avery is adorable. Even if he does cry more than the baby.

Can we please just have a show with the three men and Cady and Emily? Maybe Scarlett can visit once in awhile. I'm pretty much done with everyone else. 

Word. New Scarlett (sans the horrible hair) is so much better. And as for Connie's hair game -- even in wakeup mode, glorious.

I do have to give some props to Will Chase, because I felt sorry for Luke -- a tiny bit. Maybe I just lament the end of the Luke Wheeler Experience Lifestyle Brand Product Line possibilities. Or maybe I'm just hoping his opening act for Broke-Ass and Guilty: The Apology Tour will be the Will Lexington Quartet aka Will and The Exes. Loaned from the very successful Highway 65 as a favor from Rayna (who is busy offscreen with the Claybourne Family Singers) and managed by Emily. And by the tour's third show no one will care about Luke and he'll be the opening act, while the entire series finale will be the quartet performing.

Everyone else--meh.

• Love 4

You know, I (of all people) actually thought Rayna blew it by not making the bar opening. There are just some things you don't prioritize over the people you love, and I think she should have fallen all over herself to make it. And if she truly couldn't (did Markus seriously take all day??), she should have arrived breathless and very, very sorry. That bar opening was huge for Deacon. She should have made it work, especially since she failed with Markus in the end anyway. What was she really going to do that day that she couldn't do tomorrow?

And if she couldn't, for whatever reason, she at least owed him a call to let him know what was up so that he wasn't left waiting for her to show, and then in tears in the back lot when she did make it.

Since she chased him on the airplane, I can see how Marcus might misread her.

She chased him onto the airplane as a label head and talked to him very specifically about exploring a new genre/sound and doing it with Hwy 65. She was very clear about wanting him for her label, not her bed. Don't know how he'd misread that other than ego. Had Luke done the same thing he would have thought it was purely business, wouldn't he?

• Love 5

The biggest disappointment about the Luke Wheeler Brand being destroyed by this recent turn of events is that now we will never get to see Luke Wheeler shilling Luke Wheeler ketchup at Walmart and other such nonsense. And now there's no chance of getting the Luke Wheeler cake carrier! Maybe he will get drunk at Rayna's wedding and drive a golf cart through her cake.

• Love 8

Rayna never chased after Markus in a romantic way; she made it clear it was business related. The only way to get new clients in some businesses is to go after them. And I don't think Rayna failed here. Markus has been an ass since day one, and if he is so dumb as to throw away a chance for a tour and a platinum album because a woman rejected his kiss, he is not too interested in having a career.

I didn't like the storyline with WIll-too predictable. Why couldn't they guy just be a businessman and work with him without hitting on him? Not all gay people hit on any available person. The writers don't know what to do with Will and it's a shame because Chris Carmack has all kinds of charisma (IMO).

Deacon was being a baby but happy to see him propose in the end. I know some people didn't like the going down on one knee thing but I thought it was romantic. I keep reading on other sites that all young people now dislike the idea of romance at all and just laugh at things like engagements, falling in love, flowers or rings. I guess it's just sex and then back to social media sites and that makes me so, so sad (just my opinion). The Luke Wheeler story came out of nowhere and it drives me crazy that his daughter is no longer mentioned. 

I always love the scenes with the guys (Gunnar and Avery) and Scarlett and really enjoy their music. I didn't believe for a minute that Juliette's therapist would show up at Avery;s house, most likely Juliette would call or write to Avery. 

I hope the show doesn't get cancelled; there is no other show like it on TV. Of course I never root for shows to get cancelled just because I don't like them-i can always watch something else. 

• Love 6

And if she couldn't, for whatever reason, she at least owed him a call to let him know what was up so that he wasn't left waiting for her to show, and then in tears in the back lot when she did make it.

Yes, exactly! She came off as fairly dismissive, which I don't think was the intention, but he was really crushed. He was looking for her, waiting for her, and I think it was supposed to be sort of like when she didn't show at the Bluebird last season...they were trying to draw a parallel to that and created manufactured drama for the audience. But again, it's like...let them grow up! They're always talking on the phone, she's always keeping him up on her plans and when she's coming home, and she'd said they weren't even fighting (not that it would have been ok if they had been). There was no reason for her to leave him hanging like that except a plot contrivance, which is annoooooooooying as all hell.

Honestly, though, I also thought Deacon should have left the hospital for five minutes and gone to Maddie/Daphne's talent show at the beginning of the season. So maybe the people who write this show and I aren't on the same page about how important it is to show up??

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 7

That Luke Wheeler embezzlement plot came out of nowhere. Not sure how this is even relevant to anything on the show other than a contrived reason to get rid of his girlfriend. Ugh.

Glad to see that Caleb was a complete dick when Scarlet dumped him, Dodged a bullet on that one, Scarlet! By the way, loved her white lacy dress. She is dressing so much better with the short hair cut.

I also loved the boys and Scarlet. Now there's your band, right there.

I'm with Avery on the Juliette thing. She has shown no interest in her daughter and don't forget Avery's heart was broken too. I for one hope they never get back together.  

• Love 3

And it was amazing how it so quickly went from just finding out about it, to working it out with the IRS, to having it all exposed and fallen down around him. All in one episode. And wouldn't people have some sympathy for Luke with the embezzlement? I think I would.

• Love 5

I think that the most significant development of this episode was how they actually, in one episode flat, managed to retcon the entire Scarlett/Gunnar disaster into him being a supportive, non-obsessive friend who really loves her and cares for her enough to let her go if that's what she needs to be happy.

I think that was absolutely needed to make any people root for their relationship.

• Love 2

I was wondering about that? How can he just decide to cancel the tour like that?  At least when Juliette left they made a point of saying she paid a penalty for it. And I know the guy is kind of crazy and self-absorbed, but Rayna really sucks at managing artists. Maybe she should step back from running the label and just do her own music again.

Usually there would be an insurance. I'm not quite sure if in US law the insurance would first cover the cost and then sue Marcus or if - depending on the contract with the tour promoter - he would have been liable immediately.

Speaking of 'managing' artists: where is Marcus' manager? The guy surely has a manager, tour manager, lawyer and publicist (and probably a PA fluffing his lattes and polishing his jewellery) with what we've been told about his former band. Rayna was supposed to be his label head, a&r (since she went over Bucky's head) and producer, but not his manager. And if I missed it and she signed up for that as well, that would have plain stupid because manager and label head usually don't go together. They're like the wolf and the turtle. Sorry, wrong show.

• Love 2

A "snow globe" conjures a different image. That snow globe was a heavy object and if it had hit Cadence's head, she would have died.

Very true.  Both snowblower and snow globe would have killed the child and/or injured Avery as well.  Very glad Juliette missed.  And glad Avery is sticking to his guns about not letting Juliette see Cadence unsupervised. 

• Love 2

I can't add anything because all the above posters have said everything I wanted to say and so much better.

The only thing I want to say is $40 million dollars why not $15/20 million. How does anyone who's suppose to be that smart (LW) and seemed to be a hands on guy with his brand, not have a second management co. to oversee that his finances are being taken care of correctly. Unless the person who stole the $40 million (that's a big amount) is a trusted friend, That big surprise came out of nowhere, so how broke is LW?

• Love 1

Yes, that $40 million baffled me, also -- how the hell much money is Luke worth if he owes the IRS $40 million?  And when the IRS shows up with a claim like that, there is a lot of negotiating about the amount due and many attorneys/CPAs sorting out the actual amount.  I loved the shortcut of "Give us $40 million!"  " Well, 'kay, just give me a few days to sell off everything that does not crawl away."  Plus, he will need to pursue charges against his finance manager. 

Boy, those last five minutes really had the feel of a series that was tying up loose ends and providing a sort of conclusion in case it did not get continued -- so I was relieved to see there actually seemed to be footage of the next episode in the preview.  I'm assuming the long break is to allow HP time to come back into the series; but agree with posters above about the irritation of "Mid-Season Finale" fever that now grips so many shows. 

• Love 4

My guess would be none unless the rumored CMT syndication deal is true, then we'll get a mini-season next year.

It's already been syndicated, it plays Saturdays on the AXS cable channel.

It's already been syndicated, it plays Saturdays on the AXS cable channel.

Yes but there is a rumored deal with CMT that would allow it to air on that channel as well (obviously a bigger network and worth more money) but it would require Nashville to air more episodes than 4 seasons would give, if I remember correctly. A mini-5th season would get them to their mark.

(Sutton--a mini season is usually half a season so 10-11 episodes.)

I'm with you about the first ring. I can't believe the writers just dropped that. What the...what?? But here's the thing about the kneeling and cheese on the bridge and why it didn't bother me so much (and I haaaaaate that kind of "romance" typically)...

I think Deacon was trying to communicate a lot more there than just "will you marry me." He was trying to fix what he'd done before, how disastrously that went and how deeply it hurt Rayna. They actually flipped the everything/nothing line from the pilot, which worked really well. In the pilot, Rayna says first says she'd change nothing, meaning that of course she loves her family and both of her children and she wants them as they are. She wouldn't have had Daphne if her life had gone differently. Then she flips to "everything," as a way of telling Deacon she loves him and regrets the loss of their life together. Here, Deacon begins with "everything" because of course he wishes he'd stayed sober and they'd gotten married and raised their baby together. And when he says that, Rayna looks so sad, almost crushed by the realization that no matter what they do, they can't escape that loss. But then he switches to "nothing," basically reaffirming his forgiveness and understanding of her choices and validating her second child. Her expression totally changes. And then, he basically takes on the responsibility for all they lost and says, "I would do this one thing right, though": He would propose to her sober and present and totally in, because that really is the moment where it all went wrong. He also repeated what he said to her in the flashback, "I love you so much," etc. And his being so upset about her working with Markus called back the pilot when it was Rayna who was upset about his working with Juliette. From a storytelling perspective, that was all fantastic because of how much it communicated.

Nailed it.

As far as the ring, I personally find the original ring to be tainted and full of nothing but pain, bad memories and even worse luck. I'm very okay with the idea of a new one because for me it symbolizes them (and more specifically Deacon) starting over and finally getting it right. And, if I'm honest, it's just prettier. :)

• Love 2

I knew she wouldn't, but I wanted Rayna to say, "Yes, I'll marry you if you get counseling," because Deacon's temper and jealousy issues are too much for me.

I'm glad to get a break from this show.

• Love 1

"The Beverly" is still an awful name for a bar. 

Loved the bar scene at the end. And the three men and a baby stuff. I just love the youngsters a lot, and all their weird Nashville misadventures. 

Writers, please give Will a story that does not end with him wanting to drink the sadness away again. Thanks!

I just cannot decide if I want Avery/Juliette to become a thing again. I loved them so much, and I do feel for Juliette and her PPD, but she really messed things up with them, and quite a lot of that is on her. I dont know. I guess it depends on what happens when she gets out of rehab. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

Yes but there is a rumored deal with CMT that would allow it to air on that channel as well (obviously a bigger network and worth more money) but it would require Nashville to air more episodes than 4 seasons would give, if I remember correctly. A mini-5th season would get them to their mark.

Replying in the media thread...

I'm in agreement with everyone who would want a show with Avery, Gunnar , Will and Scarlett drinking and singing. With a side of Cadence and Emily. I really think I'd watch that. Can't lie either , I miss HP. I'm all about Juliette getting help and slowly getting back into Cadence's life. Even with Juliette being out of control, she still had some of the best lines and I miss those very much.

All these other people are making me rage. Maddie you weren't the devil this week so I guess that's an improvement? Luke if you had listened to Colt from the beginning he wouldn't be slamming doors in your face. Good parenting. And was I supposed to enjoy Deacon's proposal? All I could think about was all the whining he did throughout the episode so it just didn't work for me. Now you are engaged....yay.

Rayna: one ex had $40 million dollars embezzled from him because he was so focused on his "brand", one is in jail and the 3rd option is a man baby. Not great. If there was ever a time to cast Kyle Chandler, please do it. Just for a little fun.

• Love 1

Aw, Daphne sings "Do You Want To Build a Snowman?" and Maddie's all ice-queen about it.

I liked that song. Interesting young Maddie has turned into the boringest tween snit in existence while dull, sweet Daphne is shooting up the adorbs/good songwriter charts.

Have fun writing with faux Taylor Swift, Miss M. 

• Love 2

The Deacon these writers wrote in second half of season 2, 3 and first half of season 4 isn't the Deacon Claybourne that was in Season 1. Hoping that the second half of season 4 they bring back the man who had character, pride and confidence in himself even when he wasn't with Rayna. I know he's gone through a life and death experience not knowing if the transplant was going to be successful but come on writers give the man back his pride. I love the guy, but I'm at the end of my rope and want to kick ass to get him to finally feel he has it all and nobody is going to take it away from him.

• Love 2

Aw, Daphne sings "Do You Want To Build a Snowman?" and Maddie's all ice-queen about it.

I liked that song. Interesting young Maddie has turned into the boringest tween snit in existence while dull, sweet Daphne is shooting up the adorbs/good songwriter charts.

Have fun writing with faux Taylor Swift, Miss M.

Aw! I like Jessy Schram a lot so I'm hoping Cash turns out to be cool. She seems to like Deacon at least. Maybe she can talk some sense into Maddie.

I just can't with Deacon and the anointing of St. Beverly. The woman was a horrible, horrible person. Sure, she finally did something decent and wound up dying. She was still a horrible person for all of those years. Has everyone forgotten that? She died. They all feel guilty. It sucks. Move the hell on, please. I do want to visit that bar, though. 

Why did we even have this mess with Markus? He's a whiny, creepy prima donna. Sue his ass off and good riddance, Rayna.

Speaking of a waste of time. So glad Caleb is gone. He could have been a good character if he hadn't turned into such a douchebag. We all knew he was just a place-holder for Gunnar anyway.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for Luke? Because... I don't. 

Who knew therapists made house calls to break patient confidentiality? HIPAA? What's that? And that crap she was spouting? Aww hell nah. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that Avery agreed to let Juliette see the baby for supervised visits. Mostly just because I want Avery and Juliette to figure their stuff out and be happy again.

Gunnar and the baby were adorable. Will is adorable. Avery is adorable. Even if he does cry more than the baby.

If Rayna and Deacon do finally get married it will either be because they know the show is going to get cancelled, or their limo from the reception is rigged with a bomb. It won't be because we are actually going to see them happily married for any length of time.

Can we please just have a show with the three men and Cady and Emily? Maybe Scarlett can visit once in awhile. I'm pretty much done with everyone else. 

Yep. This. All of this. 

And also: I thought Daphne's song was adorable and (in my opinion - as a person who, you know, listens to the radio) sounded very commercial. Cute and twee songs played on a ukulele seems to work just fine for Jason Mraz. 

• Love 4

I loved the proposal scene and the acting was beautiful as ever but I would have loved it more if it had happened two and a half seasons ago. There's been a lot of crap and contrivance with R&D which sort of deadens the impact, for me anyway.

Disappointed that the Markus s/l was just yet another clumsy plot device rather than anything actually about the music business. Although actually the character was well portrayed - they could have done more with him.

I need to go back and watch the other parts as I couldn't be bothered on first view - they all looked quite snoozy and I'm so not interested in Luke and his brand and his moving about on castors squeeze.

The plot and character development on Nashville has never been great and it's got even worse this season. I'm assuming it will definitely be cancelled? Which in some ways will be a relief because the main cast is talented and they can all go and do something better.

• Love 2

The IRS thing did come out of left field, but I think it was so the story line will be some kind of merging between Hwy 65 and Luke's label. Luke still has the money, resources and artists, but his character will take a "hit," Rayna has character and popularity and no money. Also, a good way to bring drama with Deacon, Rayna working with Luke. I also see the plot with Colt working into it, as in he will go to Rayna for advice, or they'll find out the kids had sex. Actually, I really like the Colt/Luke storyline and I think it is pretty realistic for a divorced father and son, and look forward to seeing that played out.

Yay!  Writer's resisted the Juliette-Avery-Emily triangle!  I was really nervous when Emily and Avery were having the fight that it would end up with an embrace and kiss.  Emily is awesome.

With the show not coming back until March, that gives Avery & Gunnar time to get haircuts and a shave (for Avery).

• Love 2

I feel sorry for Luke :(  I don't like the way Colt treats him.  But..but..but..how many celebrities have had people close to them embezzle money from them?  We've heard of this many times.  It did nothing to their reputations.

If anything, it enhanced Willie Nelson's reputation.

I really do not enjoy Deacon acting like a baby, and the show has him acting like that every 4 episodes, throwing a tantrum at someone.  So now Rayna's engaged to the baby.  Yay?

I am so tired of the way they're writing him - he was a very attractive and appealing (not to mention sexy) character once upon a time, now he annoys me.

Luke's girlfriend is annoying. "I know I told you to force your son to lie, but it's your job to protect him so you shouldn't have listened?" WTF kind of logic is that?

I'm going to preface this by saying I hate Gabriella, I'm thrilled she's gone, but I think she has a point. She gave him professional advice, but Luke is a grown assed man, and the decision he made was HIS decision, and he should take responsibility for it. He still isn't doing that - even his "apology" to Colt did not even acknowledge the specific reason Colt is hurt and angry about.

Tonight's episode of Nashville is brought to you by "Quit Being A Dick."

Amen!

I didn't like the storyline with WIll-too predictable. Why couldn't they guy just be a businessman and work with him without hitting on him? Not all gay people hit on any available person. The writers don't know what to do with Will and it's a shame because Chris Carmack has all kinds of charisma (IMO).

Although it was predictable, I think they swerved slightly from expectation. I liked that Will saw what being closeted and successful and living a life of lies looked like, and I think it may have been the turning point in his own self-hatred. As for not hitting on any available person, I don't think the pass represented that - they were working together and had a rapport.

I'm glad Markus is gone. I thought, however, that the actor nailed being terrified about his reception. It made me feel sorry for him (in a teeny tiny, quickly dismissed way).

Although I hate "the Beverly" - when they launched into the music (after the gag-worthy mention of St. Beverly), I thought that the venue could really be a good setting for the series. And Deacon running it didn't seem so odd.

The baby was so cute - she actually started crawling toward Gunnar, I think, when he came in. She must like him. And the little wave was adorable. I remember my kids doing that.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

So thinking back, the only song I can REMEMBER is Daphne's.  I recall bits of others, but for a show about Nashville Music, I'm still missing the music. And I'm NOT a country fan!  This almost felt like a 90 minute episode whittled down to 45. Avery sits to play his set for Cadence, and we don't get a single note? huh?  And how telling is it that for the first half of this thread, people talked about Caleb being gone, and I thought that was Luke's son?? Guess he wasn't really on my radar. 

I, too am a little tired of Deacon's tirades, but I wonder if his insecurity is because now he HAS Rayna.  Pretty much his whole life he lived with wanting her and knowing he couldn't/didn't have her, and now that they are together, all the doubt about "do I deserve her, did she really choose me?" starts in.  At least, in real life that may be what happens.  Are the writers that tuned in?

Agree with Avery 100% on the his stance. But also agree with his reconsideration, and his reason for it.  Love the housemates! (Remember the Scarlett, Gunnar, Avery road trip a while back?)  Maybe they could solve mysteries together, ala Scooby Doo's pals in a spinoff sseries...

• Love 1

I still don't understand the whole issue of Luke owing back taxes to the tune of 40 million.  Were they saying that his finance manager took the money owed to IRS for himself?  They mentioned embezzling, but I'm not getting how the two relate.  How would IRS know the manager was embezzling?  And gee, no paperwork?  No advance notice?  Just a couple of Feds showing up on the doorstep to say, "you owe us 40 million!"

And just how much do you have to make to be owing 40 million!  I guess old Luke is the top 1% - oh wait, the top 1% gets all sorts of loopholes.

I hope they ditch the whole "Luke's Brand" in upcoming episodes.  Ford and Walmart pulled out of the deal - none of that made sense either.  Was he putting his name on a Bronco?  Ketchup?  The writers really didn't know what the heck they were doing with that storyline.  

• Love 5