Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: We've Got Nothing But Love to Prove

"The writers really didn't know what the heck they were doing with that storyline." When you think of the last couple of seasons excluding season 1, DO THEY EVER. Just getting my frustration out tooooooo.

• Love 1
... Ford and Walmart pulled out of the deal - none of that made sense either.  Was he putting his name on a Bronco?  Ketchup?

Cake mixes and cake-destroying vehicles?

In the scene after Doctor Latte breaks up with her, as Scarlett is drinking at the table and Gunnar comes by, I could have sworn her answer to "Are you okay?" was "Nope; I'm bourbon!" I was a little disappointed when closed captioning parsed it as "No, but I'm gonna be."

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I still don't understand the whole issue of Luke owing back taxes to the tune of 40 million.  Were they saying that his finance manager took the money owed to IRS for himself?  They mentioned embezzling, but I'm not getting how the two relate.  How would IRS know the manager was embezzling?  And gee, no paperwork?  No advance notice?  Just a couple of Feds showing up on the doorstep to say, "you owe us 40 million!"

And just how much do you have to make to be owing 40 million!  I guess old Luke is the top 1% - oh wait, the top 1% gets all sorts of loopholes.

Sure, they get the loopholes...when their finance managers take them. Which, apparently, Luke's did not.

IIRC, they said they'd been investigating the finance guy because of issues with other clients as well. I'm not sure it was the IRS that did the investigation, but I don't remember which acronym they used.

Speaking of which, why was Gabriella even involved in the deal with the IRS payments - she was the marketing person, right?

I'd love it if he just showed up at Deacon's bar as a customer and ended up having one of those talks and when he's gone we don't even get his name. Don't even announce him as a guest star then watch the internet freak out afterward.

I can literally picture it. Kyle sits down, orders a scotch, and Deacon is leaning moodily nearby. They nod to each other, Kyle goes "woman trouble?", and they talk about it for a bit. Kyle then gives some amazing Coach Taylor pep talk before getting up to leave.

When he's leaving, though, he accidentally bumps into Rayna as she's entering the bar. He goes "Oh, I'm sorry, hon. Didn't you see there" and she says "it's fine, sugar."

That would be the highlight of the season.

• Love 11

I'm going to preface this by saying I hate Gabriella, I'm thrilled she's gone, but I think she has a point. She gave him professional advice, but Luke is a grown assed man, and the decision he made was HIS decision, and he should take responsibility for it.

I agree - she was hired to deal with his brand launch, not be a family counselor. Every piece of advice she gave him was in service of protecting his image and his brand. He knew that. That's what he was paying her to do. I honestly don't know if there was a way for Colt to come forward with the information about Jeff (the new CEO) and Juliet (an artist on Luke's label) without affecting Luke's brand launch. But Luke is the one who decided to make his brand a priority. Luke's relationship with Colt and the rest of his family life is not part of Gabrielle's job, so his decision to prioritize protecting his brand over letting Colt tell the truth is on Luke. Advisers are there to do just that: advise. But that doesn't mean they have to follow 100% of their advisers recommendations to the letter. That's why they are called advisors, not carte blanche decision-makers. And I say all of that to someone who also does not like Gabrielle and is glad that she's gone. But in terms of doing her job, she didn't really do anything wrong. She told him it was best for his brand.

• Love 4

I can literally picture it. Kyle sits down, orders a scotch, and Deacon is leaning moodily nearby. They nod to each other, Kyle goes "woman trouble?", and they talk about it for a bit. Kyle then gives some amazing Coach Taylor pep talk before getting up to leave.

When he's leaving, though, he accidentally bumps into Rayna as she's entering the bar. He goes "Oh, I'm sorry, hon. Didn't you see there" and she says "it's fine, sugar."

#cleareyesfullheartscantlose

I thought that scene/fight in the bedroom had a bit of a Coach/Tami vibe to it, and there were a couple of things Connie Britton said that sounded so Tami Taylor to me. When she goes, "Did it really happen? Oh, honey, it was so great," was one, and the whole, "This is not a fight. We don't have anything to fight about." I think that's why I liked that scene so much, actually.

Edited by madam magpie

I didn't know how much I needed this until I read your post!

Chandler would act the hell out of that. I can see him giving Rayna a look that says, "You look a little familiar...." then shaking it off without a word. #TexasForever

If the ratings are as weak as I've been hearing, they could do worse than trying a little FNL stunt casting.

• Love 4

Chandler would act the hell out of that. I can see him giving Rayna a look that says, "You look a little familiar...." then shaking it off without a word. #TexasForever

If the ratings are as weak as I've been hearing, they could do worse than trying a little FNL stunt casting.

But they have to have a "ya'll" in there!

• Love 2

I honestly do not think that Deacon's behavior has been all that bad. The behavior surrounding Beverly dying, after donating a piece of her liver; not even going there, because, I hated that the show wrote that story. Couldn't stand Beverly, but, there's no good way to put a character thru that kind of grief and guilt. If they sink into despair and act out, no one really wants to watch that. If they recover too quickly, they seem shallow and selfish; Good God, their sibling died saving them. It's a no win storyline.

When R/D got back together, I hoped the show was not going to try and make fans happy, by showing them blissfully reunited, not a care or harsh word between them.

Yes they've loved each other and wanted to be together, for years, but, they've also been apart for years. This is really the first time they've been in a relatively healthy, functional,adult relationship.

Now there are two kids involved. Rayna has an ex hubby, Father of one of her girls. Deacon has been a Bachelor all his life and is now middle aged. No matter how much he wants it, being a full time Father, a Husband, isn't going to just magically be wonderful, without a big learning curve. There'll be lots of mistakes! Being alone can be lonely, but, it can also be freeing. You only answer to you. The more you adapt to that, because you have to, tougher it can be to change.

It would be nice to see both of them communicating better: Deacon telling Rayna before the fact, why buying into the Bar was important to him. Why it meant so much, what his vision was for it. Why he felt so strongly, it would not impact his sobriety. Asking for her support.

Rayna doing the same: Talking to Deacon about how critical she felt the project with Marcus was, for the label, acknowledgeing that she wasn't going to be as available with the family, as she wanted to be, for awhile, but it wouldn't last forever, for the time being, though, she was going to need his patience and support.

A two way street! Sometimes, too, I think the writing style is all about creating drama, rather than the characters being in character. EX: The Beverly opening night. Rayna knew how much it meant to Deacon, how excited he was. It took All Day to deal with the Markus situation? She couldn't even call and tell Deacon she was trying,but, she'd be late? That was thoughtless and dismissive of what mattered to him. Seemed like a situation meant to create a fight, rather than how Rayna would actually behave!

WHEWW I've ranted

• Love 5
The makers of "Quit Being A Dick" are proud to sponsor Luke Wheeler's upcoming "Broke-Ass & Guilty: The Apology Tour" (not affiliated with The Luke Wheeler Experience ™ brand.) Coming soon to a grandparent's house, skate park, or other inexpensive venue near you!

Sandman, thank you for the above! It gets funnier every time I read it!

I'm OK with Deacon running a music venue. That seems like a legitimate career choice for him and it should also allow more music to be played on the show, which is something that's sorely lacking now. But what gagged me was the litany of St. Beverly's good works being thrown in our faces at the beginning. When Deacon declared, "Here's for all the dreamers!" I so badly wanted someone to offer this: "Yeah, Bev was a dreamer. Her dream was to someday have a beautiful daughter who she could verbally (and possibly physically) abuse so badly that the girl would have a mental breakdown on the road. Let's hear it for Bev - she made her dream happen!" Are we the only ones who remember Black Roses?

When Scarlett, Gunnar, Will and Avery all sat down at the table together, my tense posture instantly relaxed and I started to smile. That's what this show needs. Let them goof off together, have fun, make some amazing music. Let the baby crawl around between them all and we'll be in heaven.

And yay, Emily, for telling it like it is to Avery! Didn't know you had it in you, girl.

Daphne has a beautiful voice. More, please. Let's have her song get on the air and be well received and watch Maddie's head explode.

I want this show to get it together so badly. It has so much potential. Why the hell can't they make it work?

• Love 13

"I want this show to get it together so badly. It has so much potential. Why the hell can't they make t work?" I cannot tell you how much I agree with you on that. I personally don't think Callie & Co. care anymore. Somebody has to be telling them the truth that this show is going down fast and if they don't get a handle on it their done. Who is directing this series Callie or some CEO who doesn't know anythng about how a series stays successful but thinks he does.

DEEPFRIEDCAKE like your comment that its great that Deacon wants The Beverly to be a bar for dreamers, and wants it to be a place for up and coming talent. Rayna wants to do that with Highway 65, be a stepping stone for those artists who have the talent. Deacon/Rayna working together isn"t that what us fans wanted to see happen since Season 1. Could it be that this series finally woke up and reaized it's the MUSIC that was missing. Come on Callie get back what this series was in Season 1 MUSIC, MUSIC and some drama.

• Love 2

I could totally get behind Daphne kicking Maddie's behind in the music department.

She could do it! Daphne actually writes songs and seems to want to be a musician.

I was thinking too why in the world they didn't play at Deacon's opening and why Maddie told Cash it wasn't their audience. Like...what?? They've played with Rayna at the Bluebird. I see no difference. Plus, it's not like they ever sing Sesame Street-type songs. I go to bars. I like their songs. (I do also like Sesame Street, but still.)

• Love 3

What in the heck is a "Cash" and why do we have yet another random girl added that no one knows who she is and that no one cares about?  Where did she appear from?

And can we please get rid of the other random girl who is in the way of Scarlett and Gunnar?

If this "winter finale" rids us of Caleb, Marcus and Gabrielle, then I can live with a 3 month hiatus.

I'm kind of with Avery on the whole 'keeping the baby away from Juliette' thing. She left her crying in the crib, threw a snowglobe at him while he was holding her and walked out on them. She's either wasted, high, hiding, or watching her manager sail off balconies most of the time. And people are lecturing HIM about not being on board with this? A few weeks in detox and rehab aren't enough for him. And the cutest baby ever is really happy with her 3 dads and Emily.

Rayna and Deacon, finally! Now, as long as the wedding isn't a soapy Dynasty shoot out, I'm good. And can we say goodbye to the vanity label? And maybe burn down The Beverly? Please?

Who called it about big name country star being in the closet?

Colt was awesome telling Luke to go away.

ETA - the foursome of Avery, Will, Gunner, and Scarlett at the end? Perfection. I'd watch them in a spin-off.

ETAA - because "Snowglobe" is much different than "Snowthrower".  Don't type on a Kindle if you want to make sense... 

YES-knew what he really was when I first saw his face! Wonder if wifey will find out on this show?!

• Love 1

She could do it! Daphne actually writes songs and seems to want to be a musician.

I was thinking too why in the world they didn't play at Deacon's opening and why Maddie told Cash it wasn't their audience. Like...what?? They've played with Rayna at the Bluebird. I see no difference. Plus, it's not like they ever sing Sesame Street-type songs. I go to bars. I like their songs. (I do also like Sesame Street, but still.)

I wonder if the show will ever have Daphne & Maddy's real parents, the Stellas, on the show as guests sometime, maybe at Deacon's new Bar. I really love their music, no wonder their girls are so talented!

• Love 1

#cleareyesfullheartscantlose

I thought that scene/fight in the bedroom had a bit of a Coach/Tami vibe to it, and there were a couple of things Connie Britton said that sounded so Tami Taylor to me. When she goes, "Did it really happen? Oh, honey, it was so great," was one, and the whole, "This is not a fight. We don't have anything to fight about." I think that's why I liked that scene so much, actually.

I also see some of Tami in Rayna at times (you're right about that scene! It felt so familiar in that way), and that's also probably why I enjoy a lot of her scenes. She calls her daughters "sweet girl" a lot, like Tami called Gracie, she calls her lovers "babe," like Tami called Eric, she makes some pretty funny faces sometimes, like Tami did...

*sigh*, sometimes I think I'm only watching this because I think it's some sort of "The Adventures of Tami Taylor" parallel universe.

Edited by Kazia
  • Love 5

YES. Then their insane chemistry would flame and Deacon would be like "wait a minute..." but no one would even care because all eyes would be on the Taylor Family Reunion.

We need to petition to have this happen, y'all. I daresay we don't care about much else at this point.

Edited by Kazia
  • Love 2

I loved seeing Daphne on Deacon's shoulders at the concert.

I did too, but then I had to wonder if someone who so recently received a liver transplant should be hoisting a 12-year-old up on his shoulders, and then I remembered that this was the same man who was swinging a sledgehammer mere weeks after getting out of the hospital, and then I realized that medical rules (and reality itself!) are different in Nashville.

What in the heck is a "Cash" and why do we have yet another random girl added that no one knows who she is and that no one cares about?  Where did she appear from?

She's the daughter of the guy Deacon shares "The Bev" with, right? When she popped up I was terrified that she'd been sent to lure Deacon away from Rayna yet again. Then it was revealed that she was young enough to want to write songs with Maddie and I was momentarily relieved - until I remembered that Deacon slept with Juliette, too, once upon a time. (Hee, see what I did there, Once fans?)

I keep waiting for Colt and Maddie, the poor misunderstood, disgruntled teens, to steal somebody's car and run off together. Maybe at the wedding reception?

• Love 1

I also see some of Tami in Rayna at times (you're right about that scene! It felt so familiar in that way), and that's also probably why I enjoy a lot of her scenes. She calls her daughters "sweet girl" a lot, like Tami called Gracie, she calls her lovers "babe," like Tami called Eric, she makes some pretty funny faces sometimes, like Tami did...

*sigh*, sometimes I think I'm only watching this because I think it's some sort of "The Adventures of Tami Taylor" parallel universe.

Oh yeah. That's definitely why I watch! And I'm Team Coach in the Eric/Deacon showdown. Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I understand why Avery is being resistant toward Juliette, but I agreed with Emily, too- Avery wanted Juliette to admit she had issues and get help, and now that she's doing exactly that, he's accusing her of being manipulative and not genuine. I was glad he came around at the end of the episode.

Honestly... They've really screwed up Juliette, but even with everything she's done, she's still my favorite; I miss her. I guess that's down to Hayden and her ability to make me care about such a nasty character. If the show is canceled after this season, I really hope she gets some kind of happy ending, considering it's literally been one terrible thing after another for her the entire series.

• Love 2

So glad to be rid of Dr. boyfriend... but he got a job heading a department at another hospital? seriously? He would have barely finished his residency, if that.  I figure he's 28 to 30.  College is 4 years, graduated at 21 or 22.  Four years of medical school (so 25-26).  At least three years of residency would put him at 28-29, but depending on his specialty, possibly more - Can't remember if he is oncologist or surgeon or what.   So he's maybe a year or two out of residency.  Sorry, but there is no way a major city hospital like Seattle would make him head of the department. 

Also, adios Gabrielle, you were basically a horrible person.  I did think the $40 million seemed incredibly high, but IRS penalties are AWFUL.  I worked for a company once whose accountant stole and failed to pay certain taxes, and the IRS negotiated on payback amount  and schedule, but if I recall correctly, the penalties were huge.

I understand being cautious about Juliette, but all these people acting like she will ruin Cadence's life are a little premature.  She has severe post-partum, but if she gets treatment, she may be fine.  And Cadence is only 6 months old, so it's not like she will have any memory of this.

Is it just me or did Markus's song not sound at all country?

You forgot he'd have to touch the doorframe on his way out ;-)

Crap why would you stop with Tim? Hire Matt Saracen, Eric Taylor and Jason Street while you're at it! If they absolutely need to fill the show with a million of extras why not make them count?

Street can sing (I don't know about the others) and the addition rate of new characters is insane (especially considering they can't write decent storylines for those they already have), so sooner or later.....

Aw, thank you, deepfriedcake! That's nice of you. I had fun with that post. I can't tell you the number of times I found myself telling various characters, out loud, "Quit bein' a dick!" during this episode. Most of them didn't listen, but it was clear that a theme was emerging.

I mean, I spend most of my time watching this show wishing it was Friday Night Lights. Well, most of the time meaning more than half of an episodes. I thought Julie Taylor was insufferable at times, but Maddie is the worst. I spend more time wishing Teddy would get out of jail and take Daphne away. I also either want Daphne to throw in the towel on music because Maddie is terrible or I want Daphne to do so much better than Maddie and people gravitate to her instead of Maddie. 

• Love 2

I think Kyle Chandler should show up as a guest star and give Deacon a big pep talk about marriage and about life.

He would knock some sense into that man-baby and it would pull a lot of ratings because everyone is desperate to see a Kyle/Connie TV reunion.

I would DVR it and watch it every day lol!
  • Love 1

And Cadence is only 6 months old, so it's not like she will have any memory of this.

That doesn't make it okay.  And Avery will remember.  I just hate the idea of everyone forgiving Juliette with Avery being the lone holdout and being made to feel the one in the wrong.  I'm afraid they're going to play it that Avery will lose Cadence to Juliette because she's rich and the mother and, of course, famous, while he'll lose custody because his money situation isn't the greatest.  Sounds like Tacos.  

I doubt Avery will lose custody of Cadence. Juliette already signed away her parental rights. It's best for Cadence to form and maintain a relationship with her mother. It would do her harm to have a mother who's healthy and wants her, and a father who refuses to allow a relationship. That would also be cruel and unfair to Juliette. It's bad enough, I think, that Avery has been so angry and scared that he gave Juliette the parental rights ultimatum. Holding out for a complete break does make Avery wrong. Allowing Cadence and Juliette to get to know each other now is absolutely the best thing for all of them. And anyway, I suspect that the story plan is for Avery and Juliette to reconcile as well.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

Thanks WENDYG reading that article my questions have been answered. I was never a country music fan. I liked a few songs by some country music legends like Reba, Chesney, Yearwood, Garth, Campbell, George Strait and some others.  I would pick the songs I liked and buy one or two. Watching Nashville listening to the songs they call Pop Country Music I loved it. Season 1 had the music I loved to hear and bought on ITunes to listen to on my IPod which I take everywhere I go. I fell in love with a few characters at the start of season 1, but each season seem to destroy what pride they had in themselves as people and talented artists. Will stick with Nashville because they finally have Deacon/Rayna getting married but personally I think there will be no season 5. To bad could have been one hell of a Country Music series looking into the ups and down of making it in the music industry.

I don't know...I'm sure on some level, what T Bone is saying is true. I totally believe the network would constrain him when it came to the music. But I just have a hard time believing Callie Khouri herself has zero pull, especially in a show whose ratings got steadily worse as they changed it into a full-blown soap opera. Not to mention that the soapy, overblown approach is her style. She's the one who drove Thelma and Lousie off a cliff, after all, and didn't she write that rom-com with Julia Roberts on a horse ranch? And the Ya-Ya Sisterhood?? It's not like she's known for realistic drama.

I'm sure the network battled her and didn't want a straight, realistic story about the music business. It's ABC; soapy is their MO. That kind of show might have worked on NBC. But I still feel like she and her colleagues are the ones who wrecked this show. I find it hard to believe that ABC insisted that they screw up details, drop important story lines, pile on random characters, wreck existing characters, etc. I feel like the showrunners chose that.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

Count me among those ruined by FNL. I tried to watch Kyle in Bloodline, but as soon as I saw his character with his wife I was like...that's not Tami. She's nothing like Tami. 

As far as the T Bone article, it was written two years ago and the soapiness of Nashville has only gotten worse so I guess we can tell who won the knock-down drag-out battle in the end. 

FNL was just a far-better crafted show. It spoiled us all. I know what you mean about Bloodline; I kept thinking, "Coach would never do that!"

But FNL also used its frame (football)really well, as the source of the big excitement. The actual stories were small, just people living their lives. And we got to know the principle players so well, while secondary characters played specific roles that affected the main players directly. Nashville is all over the place.

In other news, I rewatched this episode today, and we may complain about Deacon being a crier, but holy hell. His real failing is that he woke Rayna up at 7am. Seriously??

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

After so many years, alone, as a Bachelor,having the life he's always dreamed of, as Rayna's Husband, as a Father, comes with a real learning curve; that's realistic.

But, some lessons need to be learned, sooner than others. A woman needs her beauty sleep, especially, if she's not 25 anymore. Even,if you look like Rayna!

No wonder the poor guy never had any other long term relationships. Being sexy as hell, making romantic gestures, just not enough to replace a solid 8!

• Love 3

Count me among those ruined by FNL. I tried to watch Kyle in Bloodline, but as soon as I saw his character with his wife I was like...that's not Tami. She's nothing like Tami.

I watched the YouTube clip the other day of Kyle Chandler winning his Emmy, and it absolutely made me wince to him kiss his brunette-haired wife first and then hug Connie Britton.

Like, in my mind, they will always be Coach and Mrs. Coach, even as real people outside the show.

I hope Kyle's wife doesn't mind that she has to share her husband with Connie because she will ALWAYS be his TV wife. Lol.

• Love 2

KAZIA -- Just like Chip Esten and Connie Britton will always be Deacon Claybourne and Rayna Jaymes TV's husband and wife finally. I hope Patty doesn't  mind that she has to share her husband with Connie either. There aren't many TV characters in a series that have that chemistry working together but Chip/Connie had that chemistry from their first scene together on Nashville. 

Did Connie win any Emmy's when she was on FNL?

Sutton: She was nominated a couple of times, I believe, but I don't think she won. I feel like she was nominated for American Horror Story too.

Kazia: I don't know what you're talking about "in my mind." They ARE Coach and Mrs. Coach outside the show...right?? They're kicking ass and taking names with great hair/aviators in Philly...

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

OH, that's right! Duh. They're living it up at Braemore and Pemberton right now, watching Nashville on Wednesday nights and Bloodline on Netflix while drinking wine.

And yeah, Connie was nominated twice for FNL (2010 & 2011), once for AHS (2012), and once for Nashville (2013). She's never won, though, which is a true shame because we all know she's one of television's best.

I am just forever going to be salty that she didn't win in 2011 when Kyle did because they were a team and FNL is known as one of the best television shows in history because of them. Kyle won and Jason Katims won (the show's writer), but she got left out. *sad face*

And yes, Sutton: she and Chip have such amazing chemistry, too! Looks like Connie is a just a perfect television wife, haha (except not really in AHS OR Nashville... lol).

Edited by Kazia
  • Love 2