Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I'm sorry to vent. You guys helped me feel better. It's just baffling to me they are SO angry I quit. I gave them notice,and they had to have wondered after I lost the promotion and the store/company was doing cutbacks and bad financials I'd want to explore options. It feels really shitty for him to say that dramatic vindictive stuff when I swallowed my pride. He has no grace -even if I was mad or hurt I would have had diplomacy or been more polished. Again sorry to complain about such a minor stupid thing. In general, i can't stand when people are vulnerable and someone with an upper hand lords it over them or delights in the situation, especially when it's a minor matter. Like it's so much easier to be decent. 

• Love 9
On 2/19/2018 at 9:01 PM, Snaporaz said:

When I was a student at Pitt, the WQED studio where Mr. Rogers worked was just a couple of blocks from campus, so it was not at all uncommon to run into him in a bookstore or coffee shop.  

I worked with someone who said she saw Mr. Rodgers at a hotel by the pool in speedos (it was the 70's) and he was well hung.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SweePea59 said:

I worked with someone who said she saw Mr. Rodgers at a hotel by the pool in speedos (it was the 70's) and he was well hung.

Now THAT'S the makings of a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

(And gives me new appreciation for Mr. Rodgers since, to be honest, he always creeped me out a bit).

• Love 9
2 hours ago, boes said:

(And gives me new appreciation for Mr. Rodgers since, to be honest, he always creeped me out a bit).

OMG -- I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! (technically, the only other one -- I had a friend years ago who thought he was creepy, but everybody else I've ever met thinks he's great. NOW WE ARE THREE!)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, film noire said:

OMG -- I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! (technically, the only other one -- I had a friend years ago who thought he was creepy, but everybody else I've ever met thinks he's great. NOW WE ARE THREE!)

Nah, you're four. I always found a hint of the pervy about him.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, boes said:

Now THAT'S the makings of a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

THANK YOU!

I remember watching Mr. Rogers as a kid but he was never my favourite and as I got older, I found him creepy. I was surprised to learn he was a pastor because he always gave me pedophile vibes.

Being Canadian, I grew up with Mr. Dessup who I adored. And I never once found him creepy, just a delight.

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Being Canadian, I grew up with Mr. Dressup who I adored. And I never once found him creepy, just a delight.

FINNEGAN! 

My favourite puppet, second only to Jerome the giraffe (speaking of which, isn't it an Act of Parliament that whenever Ernie Coombs is mentioned, so must Bob Homme be invoked? ;)

Almost thirty years (1958 - 1985) of  (roughly) the same opening and ending (that say goodbye/"early one morning" harp music still gets me every time).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8

As a kid I didn't like Mr Rogers that much but I was an eccentric child. Later I learned about his kindness and philanthropy. He was true blue. His episode with KoKo, the Gorilla, is so inspiring and endearing. Their friendship highlighted the extreme intelligence and personality of animals. If you read about him and watch interviews and hear accounts he's very pure and earnest. 

Back to my job. It's a startup and very crazy. I won't elaborate on the specifics and bore lol. Also I felt a bit regret and fear since I did leave what I thought was a mostly good thing that my presense improved by working there and wondered if it was too rash but now know it's very bitter towards me. There's lots of jobs in the Chicagoland area so maybe I'll find a fit. 

Adam Kenworthy is SO amazing on like 20 levels. He loves Britney, lives with honesty, a kickass athlete, wants to save the dogs, supports women, so much cool! This month really has been a month of heroes and character when I follow the news. There are some really bright lights in the world. 

@jewel21 Steve is so darn handsome and confident in that pic upthread I makes me smile to think of him! He's like young Elvis as a bird. 

• Love 8

Nanette Fabray, the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical comedy star whose work with Sid Caesar on the classic 1950s TV comedy-variety show "Caesar's Hour" earned her three Emmy Awards and a lifetime of television work, has died. She was 97. Fabray, whose early hearing problem spurred her to become a high-profile advocate for the hearing impaired, died February 22 of natural causes in Palos Verdes, California.

Fabray had won a Tony for best actress in the 1949 musical "Love Life" and appeared in the 1953 MGM musical "The Band Wagon" — in which she, Fred Astaire and Jack Buchanan performed the famous "Triplets" number as "three little unexpected children" — before becoming the female lead on "Caesar's Hour" in 1954. The live, hourlong NBC show was the successor to Caesar's popular "Your Show of Shows," whose female lead in comedy sketches was Imogene Coca.

Fabray also appeared on TV comedies and drama, starring on “Westinghouse Playhouse,” created by then-husband Ranald MacDougall, and recurring as Grandma Katherine Romano on hit 1970s sitcom “One Day at a Time.” She guested on “Burke’s Law,” “The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.,” “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” on which she played Mary’s mother; “Love American Style,” “Maude,” “Murder, She Wrote” and “Coach.” And appeared on 184 episodes of gameshow “The Hollywood Squares” from 1967-78. Other gameshow credits included “What’s My Line,” “Password All-Stars” and “Match Game.”

Fabray was a musical comedy star on Broadway in the 1940s, making her debut in “Let’s Face It!,” starring Danny Kaye and Eve Arden, and subsequently appearing in “By Jupiter,” “My Dear Public,” “Jackpot” and “Bloomer Girl.” She had star billing in “High Button Shoes,” “Love Life” — for which she won the Tony for best actress in a musical — and 1951’s “Make a Wish.” She later returned to the Rialto in 1962 to star with Robert Ryan in “Mr. President,” from Lindsay Crouse and Irving Berlin, and drew another nomination for best actress in a musical.

Born in San Diego, Nanette Ruby Bernadette Fabares was a singer and tap dancer in vaudeville as a child.

Fabray was married to NBC executive David Tebet from 1947-1951 and to screenwriter Ranald MacDougall from 1957 until his death in 1973. She is survived by son, Jamie, from her second marriage and a niece, actress Shelley Fabares, and her husband, actor Mike Farrell.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Adam Kenworthy is SO amazing on like 20 levels. He loves Britney, lives with honesty, a kickass athlete, wants to save the dogs, supports women, so much cool! This month really has been a month of heroes and character when I follow the news. There are some really bright lights in the world. 

I think you smooshed together the names of two of the out gay Olympians.  Adam Rippon is the skater, and Gus Kenworthy is the freestyle skier.  They're both freaking adorable.  Adam Rippon is pretty hilarious, and he's the one Sally Field is trying to hook up her son with.  Gus Kenworthy <<<swoon>>> is the one who saved some dogs in both Sochi and PyeongChang.

• Love 8

One of the last remaining crooners of the golden era passed away. Singer Vic Damone died on Sunday (Feb. 11, 2018) from complications of a respiratory illness at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach, Florida. 

Famously described as having the "best pipes in the business" by Frank Sinatra, Damone's performing career lasted five decades and spawned dozens of hits thanks to his smooth baritone and a style that was inspired by his compatriot Sinatra. Best known for lush, romantic ballads, Damone's career was launched in 1947 when he won first place in Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts show, which led to regular radio gigs and a chance encounter with comedian Milton Berle, who helped the then-19 year-old performer land gigs at prominent nightclubs. That led to a recoding contract with Mercury Records, which released a series of successful singles, including his debut, "I Have But One Heart," as well as "You Do," "On the Street Where You Live" and the Patti Page duet "Say Something Sweet to Your Sweetheart." It was two years later that Damone scored his first big hit with 1949's "Again," which was followed by popular tunes including "You're Breaking My Heart," "Vagabond Shoes" and the top five hit "My Heart Cries for You." 

With his matinee idol good looks, Damone also had a notable run on the big screen, signing a contract with MGM in 1951 and appearing in "The Strip" and "Rich, Young and Pretty" before his career was put on hold for two years when he was drafted into the military. With a string of already recorded singles released during his tour of duty, Damone returned to appear in several more films in 1954 as his music career began to trail off. Pivoting to TV, the singer hosted The Vic Damone Show from 1956-1957 and rerouted his music career to become more of an interpretive singer, releasing a string of albums with such adult contemporary fare as Irving Berlin's "Let's Face the Music and Dance" and Jerome Kern and Johnny Mercer's "Dearly Beloved."

One of Damone's signature songs was "On the Street Where You Live," the Lerner and Loewe song from My Fair Lady, which the singer released in 1956, hitting No. 4 on the Billboard 200 chart. In all, Damone recorded more than 2,000 songs over his five-decade career, which landed him an induction into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame in 1997.

Born Vito Rocca Farinola in Brooklyn, New York, on June 12, 1928, Damone continued to be a big draw in Las Vegas after his radio hits dried up in the late 1960s.

Damone was married five times and is survived by daughter Victoria Damone and six grandchildren.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

I think you smooshed together the names of two of the out gay Olympians.  Adam Rippon is the skater, and Gus Kenworthy is the freestyle skier.  They're both freaking adorable.  Adam Rippon is pretty hilarious, and he's the one Sally Field is trying to hook up her son with.  Gus Kenworthy<<<swoon>>> is the one who saved some dogs in both Sochi and PyeongChang.

Manspiration

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

@jewel21 Steve is so darn handsome and confident in that pic upthread I makes me smile to think of him! He's like young Elvis as a bird. 

Aww, thank you! I love me some Elvis so that's a great compliment! Steve has to go back to the vet on Monday to re-do the biochemistry and I really hope they can do it this time so we don't have to back again in two weeks. The travel time and visit stress him out and it takes him days to fully recover. Plus, he started molting again which is always exhausting for him.

I hope you start liking your new job soon. And if not, that you find something that you do love and are amazing at. Don't be discouraged.

We had to call and ambulance for gramps today. He started feeling nauseous and weak and took on a gray colour. They're keeping him overnight and running tests. It's so scary when loved ones get sick, especially when they're older.

I just have to add George is adorable and I love your profile pic of him. He looks so dapper and sophisticated.

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 11
30 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

How is your grandfather jewel

Funny you should ask that. I made a chocolate cream pie today from scratch. Ye gods, what a mess and I thought of Jewel's baking grandpa when I waded in to clean up. How is he doing Jewel?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7

I use Pillsbury Ready crust, blind baked which I am not good at. Whew, that part came out o.k. Filling is Jello cooked chocolate pudding with 2-1 ratio milk/heavy cream and extra cocoa powder and homemade whipped cream because I can control how sweet to make it. Anyway- bowls, measuring devices, pots, spoons, whisks and electric mixer bits- oh, my.

• Love 7

After running a bunch of tests, they found nothing wrong with him and he came home this morning. He looks tired but seems much better than last night. I just hope this was a one time thing. Last year around this time he had similar symptoms and it took three hospital visits in the span of a week for them to finally be able to detect he had a UTI which later turned to sepsis. Hopefully that doesn't happen again this time. Thanks for asking.

• Love 10

Lord of the Powers be with Jewel and her grandfather, and have mercy on them.

We put our faith in You; protect Jewel's grandfather and delivered him from sickness. We submit to Your will, for You are the source of healing and salvation. Lord hear our prayer. To the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Both now and forever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

• Love 7

Thank you so much, Cupid Stunt <3

Gramps seemed better today and had more energy. Let's hope the trend continues.

Steve has to go back to the vet tomorrow for his biochemistry. Let's hope it goes better than last time and they can actually draw the blood. My poor little monkey has no idea what's in store for him tomorrow and I feel bad.

• Love 9

Thanks, Cupid. Steve and I took the bus and metro today. He was a good boy despite the distance and they were able to draw the blood without any drama. He's already flown and eaten since coming home so he doesn't appear to be traumatized like last time.

Gramps isn't feeling well again. He vomited earlier and is now sleeping. I hope he'll be better when he wakes up.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Not speaking about porcelain: Bargain hunter paid $20 for old South Carolina teapot. It just sold for $806,000.

teapot

Read about that one, Cupid! And I learned a lot from the article--never knew there were clay pits in South Carolina, and that the British factories actually imported some of it. How they traced the design was interesting, too--by the plants and the bird--indigenous to South Carolina.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, pearlite said:

Read about that one, Cupid! And I learned a lot from the article--never knew there were clay pits in South Carolina, and that the British factories actually imported some of it. How they traced the design was interesting, too--by the plants and the bird--indigenous to South Carolina.

The palmetto and pelicans are lovely. The shape is graceful, yet utilitarian.

When Mr.Stunt and I shopped the 400 Mile Yard Sale I picked up a several Edgefield lidded crocks made in South Carolina. Bringing them home, Nana Stunt thought they might be valuable, but the insurance appraiser shrugged at them. <shrug back> They keep flour and sugar dry, and I like the feel of the salt glaze.

1880bfb8b5e849ea71ce013e2e5e63cf--antiqu

• Love 8

@jewel21 I bet you were so proud of Steve. I know commuting and seeing the doctor and the procedures are anxiety inducing for him and rightfully so! He is such a tough cookie and I love how trusting  and secure he is in your love. You are his safe space and calm in the storm. 

I hope your grandpa gets well soon. 

I still don't like my job but I have an interview coming up for a distribution company I'm familiar with from grocery. The position they want me for is too far a commute by an hour lol but maybe they have something closer. 

I hopefully will find another job soon I dislike the current one. 

• Love 9

Thank you so much for the kind words, Petunia! They mean a lot. I'm just waiting now on the results of Steve's blood test. At the old hospital, they would call me after 24 hrs, but I haven't heard anything from the new place. I'll probably call them tomorrow because I'm impatient, heh.

Gramps has a cold but seems better than earlier this week.

Apparently tomorrow my grandma is being moved to a facility in Toronto for people with dementia and Alzheimers. It's both reassuring and sad. She has no idea tonight will be her last night in her house.

And good luck on the interview and job hunt! I just know there is something out there you will love and be amazing at.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

@jewel21 I bet you were so proud of Steve. I know commuting and seeing the doctor and the procedures are anxiety inducing for him and rightfully so! He is such a tough cookie and I love how trusting  and secure he is in your love. You are his safe space and calm in the storm. 

I hope your grandpa gets well soon. 

I still don't like my job but I have an interview coming up for a distribution company I'm familiar with from grocery. The position they want me for is too far a commute by an hour lol but maybe they have something closer. 

I hopefully will find another job soon I dislike the current one. 

Good luck on your interview, Petunia.

Not being in the right work environment makes leaving the right solution.

Because seeing doesn't exactly explain it.

• Love 7
(edited)

How depressing. I remember somebody once saying something about certain people clinging to their guns and their religion.  What the hell was that person talking about?

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

How depressing. I remember somebody once saying something about certain people clinging to their guns and their religion.  What the hell was that person talking about?

The sibling crackpottery of the Unification Church marches on since the death of Sun Myung Moon in 2012. There is an unavoidable streak of militarism in South Korean culture (conscripted military service for men, voluntary service for women, DMZ with Communist North Korea). The blessing and worship of guns is another quirk in the heresy the Moon's have espoused since 1954.

15 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I got recruited by another company and this one is closer and for more money and doing a lot of what I do now. ? Hope I get that interview lol

Excellent news!

Nor'easter storm hits the East Coast

The in-laws returned to the Winter Palace, and Mr.Stunt's brother and sister-in-law flew in for a visit/vacation yesterday. We took the new arrivals to dinner. We're supposed to fly out this afternoon, but flights are delayed coming from California because of a Left Coast winter storm. Few planes flying in, few planes flying out.

• Love 4
(edited)

I would just like to say how I appreciate coming to this Y&R thread to make me laugh at a time when laughing isn't so easy!  On Tuesday my mother (88 years old) had the minimally invasive TAVR procedure to replace her aortic valve.  Long story short, she then needed a pacemaker, but because of blood thinners she was taking she had internal bleeding from the pacemaker site, needed a chest tube and a few units of blood and platelets.  Fortunately she made a decent recovery and is going home today, but it will be a while before she's back to herself...although she's getting there already, when I told her the other day someone told me my hair was cute she said "I like when you wear it up" (we have fought about my hair since I was 5 LOL).  Then, we got hit by that stupid Nor'easter yesterday which was supposed to be mainly rain (I'm just outside of Philadelphia), I lost power yesterday about noon, and it's still not back up.  I'm at a grocery store now having a tea and charging my phone/laptop...of course everybody else around here had that same idea, and the only table with an available outlet nearby is in the kiddie area, so I'm surrounded by a lot of screeching (not a kid person here LOL).  Anyway...sorry for the Debbie Downer rant, it's just nice to be among all you fine people, it really does help to de-stress :)

ETA I totally forgot, I also saw blood in my dog's urine, I had to drag her to the vet only to be told she has a UTI, which I knew it was, but I'm glad I got her checked anyway.  So, speaking of stress, now I have to try to give her antibiotics, and I'm not sure if her liverwurst went bad (liverwurst is the one and only was I can get her to take a pill, and I have tried them all).

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 16
(edited)

Home again, home again, jiggity jig ...

The flight home was rough. Mr.Stunt and I kept our seatbelts on the whole trip. We split a Valium and napped when we weren't being jerked awake by the turbulence. The stewards gave away food and dispensed booze medicinally when they could stay on their feet. Our luggage got tossed around during the flight; my new suitcase has a crushed corner (Thank you limited warrantee), but I made out better than the people that had their luggage taped up and had to claim their property from the random detritus that was shoveled out of the hold. We were given flight vouchers and double miles for our trouble. I do like Hawaiian Airlines. 

It's good to be home. The cat didn't notice we were gone. It's raining in SoCal after very warm and dry winter. My parents have snow in Owens Valley. Thing2 picked up groceries ... Yay! All is weird in the world.

Redemption : A humbling transformation from crap to creative or at least the inkling of a solid attempt The 38th Razzie Winners - Are Announced!

Oy ...

This week in odd news: Meatball theft and a $1,600 Uber ride 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8
(edited)

Gracious Father, grace ByTor and her mother Your strength through this recovery from surgery. Grant them patience and trust in Your loving care. We ask that You will bless the means used for Mother ByTor's recovery and those who administer them. Grant that her recovery will be of physical and spiritual benefit according to Your will. For You are the source of life and healing and to You we give praise and glory, now and forever. Amen.

P.S. About ByTor's dog ... I know it's a small thing, but could you help her out getting her dog to take it's pills.

Thank you.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8
(edited)

Sounds like a total nightmare By Tor! Hopefully it will all turn around soon for your mother and fur baby. ??I use wet dog food made into meatballs to get my guy to take any meds. He slobbers so much that pilling him is gross. 

Edited by PatsyandEddie
  • Love 7