Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I don't know about the mother, but Capt. Lou Albano is not her father :)

In 1984, Albano met pop singer Cyndi Lauper on a plane flight from Puerto Rico. Her manager, David Wolff, suggested that the two collaborate on a project at some point in the future. In 1984, the opportunity came when Lauper's video for "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" needed an actor to play the singer's father, and Albano was suggested. Initially reluctant, he was convinced by his wife to agree, and Lauper and Albano thereafter formed a lifelong friendship. He appeared in several of her music videos and she appeared on Roddy Piper's "Piper's Pit" program to discuss the collaboration.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

i just love this song and it puts a smile on my face everytime... 

don't know how true it is but i read that the parents were really her parents, that was their apartment and those were her real friends who participated in the video..

Cindi Lauper is very talented and accomplished. Emmy, Tony, and two time Grammy winner. 

She was wonderful in the Roundabout Theatre Company version of The Threepenny Opera, with Alan Cumming as Macheath -- The Ballad of the Pimp at the Tony Awards 2006

She also composed music and lyrics for the Broadway musical Kinky Boots, with Harvey Fierstein writing the book. It's based on the 2005 British film.

• Love 9

oh, i saw the british movie kinky boots....it was so good....

on a sadder note, i've been watching the news about the pedestrian bridge collapse at florida international university...it opened on saturday..

one news site mentioned that the 2 companies who built it, also built other bridges that collapsed...

14. something million....sounds cheap...

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Cindi Lauper is very talented and accomplished. Emmy, Tony, and two time Grammy winner. 

She was wonderful in the Roundabout Theatre Company version of The Threepenny Opera, with Alan Cumming as Macheath -- The Ballad of the Pimp at the Tony Awards 2006

She also composed music and lyrics for the Broadway musical Kinky Boots, with Harvey Fierstein writing the book. It's based on the 2005 British film.

She is my son's GF absolute favorite. She has the pink hair to prove it.

• Love 6

I always wanted pink hair when I was little. I used to see it on the color chart in the local beauty parlor. I'd draw pictures of girls with pink hair. In college I used to "crazy color" (the brand of hair color) my hair to be a bright purplish magenta. If and when my hair goes white I might just go for pink. As it is I have to henna tomorrow. Roots, ya know. Some of which are silver.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

on a sadder note, i've been watching the news about the pedestrian bridge collapse at florida international university...it opened on saturday..

one news site mentioned that the 2 companies who built it, also built other bridges that collapsed...

14. something million....sounds cheap...

Bridge collapse puts spotlight on rapid building technique

Met up with an old friend today ... Hey Junkie XL!

• Love 4

I would also like to wish every one a Happy St. Paddy's Day. Who's having corned beef and cabbage today? Mr. AngelKitty just asked me if I was going to cook it in the new Crockpot, but since I've never done it that way before, I think I'll just do it on the stove as usual.

I finally found a picture of my namesake to use as a profile picture, who died about 10 years ago. His name was actually Melvin, but he was such a sweet cat that I called him my Angel

• Love 9
14 hours ago, bannana said:

Wow, on the not real news.

Scary isn't it?

6 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I would also like to wish every one a Happy St. Paddy's Day. Who's having corned beef and cabbage today? Mr. AngelKitty just asked me if I was going to cook it in the new Crockpot, but since I've never done it that way before, I think I'll just do it on the stove as usual.

I finally found a picture of my namesake to use as a profile picture, who died about 10 years ago. His name was actually Melvin, but he was such a sweet cat that I called him my Angel

I had a Rueben for lunch.

Our cat is named Melvin too, but he's no angel.

An update on the Florida pedestrian bridge collapse -- The same engineering firm that designed and built the Miami pedestrian bridge, also designed and built the new 35W bridge, replacing the bridge that collapsed in August 2007.

FIGG Bridge Group, also worked on two major bridges spanning the Mississippi River in southeastern Minnesota, Hwy. 43 bridge in Winona, MN, and the I-90 Dresbach bridge in La Crescent, MN and the Wabasha Freedom Bridge in St. Paul, MN.

Firm that designed Florida ped bridge has worked in Minnesota

• Love 6
On 3/17/2018 at 9:09 AM, AngelKitty said:

That's a great picture of AngelMelvin.  He looks a bit like my buddy Boris, who I lost last October and miss every day.  I'll always have a soft spot for Tuxies.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

That's a great picture of AngelMelvin.  He looks a bit like my buddy Boris, who I lost last October and miss every day.  I'll always have a soft spot for Tuxies.

We've had two tuxies in the past. They both had this weird thing where they would roll onto their backs and when you went in for scritches they would attempt to rip your hand off. Our across the street neighbors had one that was the same way.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Oh yeah, and so was my other tuxie Rocky.  Belly scratches were not their thing at all.  I didn't think any cat liked them.

All my other cats were really into belly scritches, just not the tuxies. I think it's a characteristic of them. Any one in Prevert Land have a tuxie that didn't do this? We thought we were imagining it until we met the neighbor's cat and confirmed it. I just texted my cousin who has a tuxie and said yep, that's what he does too.

• Love 3

My tortoiseshell, Stella, is very affectionate, but doesn't like to be held, yet will sit on my lap and be petted. My gray tiger, Nelson, squeals if you touch him anywhere, at all. He just turned 17 this weekend.

Now, my pig, Milo, loves to get his belly scratched.

• Love 6

Cat Lady AngelKitty ... Our tortie, Maybelline (named for sitting in my purse, chewing on a mascara tube as a kitten) was a sweet ol'thing. She went to the Cat Star 6 years ago.

A Cat-Ccino just for you.

cat_latte.jpg

Bad news for germaphobes ...

Bad news for Bomb-a-Phobes in Austin, Texas. Ridiculous industry people complaining that the Roots show didn't go on because of bomb-threat. Really?

From Atlantic Magazine: Photos of the Week: The Sydney Skinny, a Glacial Arch, Pelicans at Play

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

From CNN:

All the victims have been African-American or Hispanic, leading people of color in the community to feel threatened. Police have not yet discovered a motive, but have not ruled out the possibility the bombs could be hate crimes.

• Love 4

No surprise to me, and Austin is supposed to be the liberal mecca of Texas. Yeah, right.

Years ago, I was warned to stay away from music venues that were on the eastside of Hwy 35 (it splits the city in half, in more ways than topography), because it was considered the "bad" side of town. 

Yay America!

• Love 4

Oddly, I do think that cats have certain personality traits (?) that go with their coloration. Orange cats tend to be super friendly (and mostly males). Black cats are good at finding things. I think I used to know a few more, but forgot them.

• Love 5

All those tuxedo carat are so cute! And dapper. 

There have been bombings in the Austin TX believed to be targeting POC please be vigilant of any strange packages or boxes anywhere- some even have trip wires. Even outside of Austin be mindful. 

Back to a lighter note I still dislike my job and have been searching. Sometimes finding a job within a pay and location and culture criteria is hard then if you do if here's hoping they like you or someone didn't wow them first. The bright spot is I'm employed and G had been so supportive. 

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Speaking of tuxedo cats, those of you who are on Twitter might want to follow Curious Zelda...

Those eyes and whiskers are fantastic! ... Catnip pie <snerk> 

"When they go low, we get high high high ..."

51 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

All those tuxedo carat are so cute! And dapper. 

There have been bombings in the Austin TX believed to be targeting POC please be vigilant of any strange packages or boxes anywhere- some even have trip wires. Even outside of Austin be mindful. 

Back to a lighter note I still dislike my job and have been searching. Sometimes finding a job within a pay and location and culture criteria is hard then if you do if here's hoping they like you or someone didn't wow them first. The bright spot is I'm employed and G had been so supportive. 

Tuxies are great cats.

The bomber has moved from targeting the "bad" side of town to the "good," and has the whole city of Austin petrified. I was at three different venues where security was wanding entrants and dogs sniffing crotches. Normally, I would take my morning run through the city to Rendon Park, but instead I've been going to a indoor running track across the street (indoor tracks stink and the gym lugs need to roll their tongues back into their collective head -- Gyms need a serious #MeToo house-cleaning).

Petunia, you're doing everything you're supposed to do, and your support is top notch -- You will find the right job.

U.S. sled hockey team wins gold at the Paralympics with last-minute heroics

Great game!

• Love 6

Happy Spring, Preverts!  We're having a snowstorm right now here in western Pennsyltucky, but that's ok.  Spring always makes me extra-frisky, and a little snow won't bring me down.  I hope things are greener wherever you may be.  

Speaking of storms, damn, Stormy's lawyer is hot! ?

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

We're having a snowstorm right now here in western Pennsyltucky

One in Philadelphia area as well.  I HATE snow and the horrible car crashes and shoveling heart attacks/back injuries it causes!!!!

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 7

Up to 18" expected in my area of Central Pennsyltucky.  Mr. Gloriole and I have been out four times during the storm and have managed to keep the sidewalks clear.  The cars are completely plowed in and the street is a mess.  Our neighbors have been a great help and blessing.  Happy Spring, Preverts!

• Love 9

Be careful what you wish for, ByTor.  Plowed streets are great, but utterly useless if you can't get your vehicle out of its parking space and you can't get out because the plows threw up huge, heavy chunks of icy snow and buried your car in the process.  I think that's what is referred to as a Catch-22.  If the plows would sweep the snow away it'd be swell but that's not how it plays out in reality.  Keep the faith in Philly.

• Love 10

Well, I live in a townhouse and park in a parking lot.  Last night I parked in a spot where the plow normally doesn't plow the cars in too bad, but of course he left a huge pile next to my front driver's side tire.  I shoveled myself out, then moved to a spot that was plowed out.  In any event, I'll be sore as hell tomorrow!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

My poor Easter decorations:

image.png.22481efa39c51fc0e63d52ce11c90055.png

image.png.c49c555cbac7073e03a272c2b9bf14cf.png

OMG, By Tor!  It's Easter Apocalypse.  

I hope you have an ample supply of chocolate on hand.  And wine.

• Love 12

Here in South Florida we're having a bit of a cold snap - it's 55 degrees this morning, but once the sun comes up, it won't take long to warm up. This is why I moved to Florida from Maine over 20 years ago.

• Love 4

March is supposed to come in like a lion and go out like a lamb ... Or so says the Farmers Almanac.

The station rain gauge says 2.27 inches and it's pouring.

9 hours ago, crowsworks said:

On a darker note:

Is it wrong of me to hope the hipster couple who get the old blind man to guide them to the outlook get Toonces-ed off the cliff?

Yes.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

March is supposed to come in like a lion and go out like a lamb ... Or so says the Farmers Almanac.

Looks like the lion ate the lamb this year LOL. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Looks like the lion ate the lamb this year LOL. 

The weather has been brutal.

Speaking of water, potable, not the frozen snow and falling from the sky sort ... Today is World Water Day!

If you have a free couple of hours to spare from shoveling, catching up on what you didn't get around to during the week, errands, laundry or hanging out, World Vision is sponsoring their 2018 Global 6K for Water. You can walk, run, saunter, donate your time or money to give others fresh water where there was none.

• Love 6