Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

i was up very early this morning and the clouds had cleared off so i saw the moon just as eclipse was starting.  then i went outside a couple of times after that...when eclipse was almost full i could see how it looked orangey and that's what made it a blood moon.

it's clouded over again now and the rain is supposed to come back..

• Love 6

I looked at the moon around 11 PM last night. It was very bright but not very big since it was high up in the sky. I left my house at 7 AM but didn't see the moon at all. I couldn't seem to find it in the sky. Of course, the sun was already rising by that point. They said it wouldn't be great to view it if you were in the East.

• Love 4

He didn't take my quitting well. He made a lot of false promises and "grass may not be greener" type remarks. Then he wanted me to guilt me. He asked what caused me to look elsewhere and I was honest about being passed up for promotion and 3 guys getting it without even applying. And he sad how did I not know they have a position at higher responsibility and salary in mind for me now, you may literally get that call tomorrow or next week and just walking away. I said if that was the case it would have happened. tenor.gif?itemid=4759599

• Love 18

Congratulations, Petunia!

You will bring to your new employer all the accumulated experience, education, hard work and dedication you put into your former job. Your job change is your old employer's loss.

Here's to a successful and lasting relationship between you and your new employer.

o15.gif

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

He didn't take my quitting well. He made a lot of false promises and "grass may not be greener" type remarks. Then he wanted me to guilt me. He asked what caused me to look elsewhere and I was honest about being passed up for promotion and 3 guys getting it without even applying. And he sad how did I not know they have a position at higher responsibility and salary in mind for me now, you may literally get that call tomorrow or next week and just walking away. I said if that was the case it would have happened. tenor.gif?itemid=4759599

Congrats! 

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

ok, does anyone else have their "heart" missing and just a number count now in the corner?

Yes. I don't see my heart, but I do see everyone else's. Since you can't like your own post, (a silly rule - it's only one "like" - who gives a shit?) I guess that's why they took the heart away.

Edited by SweePea59
  • Love 3

Dennis Edwards, Temptations former lead singer, dead at 74.

Born just outside Birmingham, Alabama, in 1943, Edwards was the son of a pastor, which led to a musical upbringing in the gospel choir at his father’s church. Edwards would eventually study at the Detroit Conservatory of Music and start a jazz group, Dennis Edwards and the Fireballs, in 1961. After a stint in the military, Edwards auditioned for Motown Records and became the lead singer for the Contours, who frequently opened for the Temptations. The Temptations was one of the leading male vocal groups of the 1960s and early 1970s, and helped define the signature Motown sound. The gig led him to David Ruffin, whom he replaced as the group’s lead vocalist in 1968 and had a number of hits including two Grammy award-winning songs, Papa Was a Rollin' Stone and Cloud Nine.

Edwards lead was a departure for the Temptations music style with influences from funk and psychedelic rock, and away from Ruffin’s ballad style. Edwards was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame with the Temptations in 1989.

Edwards solo career included 1984 Motown single Don’t Look Any Further, a duet with Siedah Garrett, reached No. 2 on the R&B charts in 1984. But he remained best known as a member of the Temptations; after a split with the act in 1977, he returned in 1987, then left the same year.

Edwards is survived by a daughter from his marriage to Ruth Pointer of the Pointer Sisters.

• Love 10

After grocery shopping with my sister-in-law, we went to pick up her dog at the groomer. Not just any dog groomer, but Dog Groomer To The Stars, Jess Rona. I didn't know there was this category of service person, but if you can have an Eyebrow Sculptor To The Stars, Laser Hair-Removal Technician To The Stars, Florist To The Stars, Car Detailer To The Stars, there has to be a dog groomer to fill in the void.

I do like Jess Rona's IG array, and she was a charming woman in person, but sometimes being the Fill In The Blank To The Stars becomes one more thing, an endless list of detritus in L.A.

Speaking of grocery shopping, I was told we were hosting a Super Bowl party Thursday night -- Surprise! Mr.Stunt and Thing2 were working on a car project and came up with the bright idea. Back to wrangling furniture into theater-seating, soup simmering and cookie baking.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

After grocery shopping with my sister-in-law, we went to pick up her dog at the groomer. Not just any dog groomer, but Dog Groomer To The Stars, Jess Rona. I didn't know there was this category of service person, but if you can have an Eyebrow Sculptor To The Stars, Laser Hair-Removal Technician To The Stars, Florist To The Stars, Car Detailer To The Stars, there has to be a dog groomer to fill in the void.

I do like Jess Rona's IG array, and she was a charming woman in person, but sometimes being the Fill In The Blank To The Stars becomes one more thing, an endless list of detritus in L.A.

Speaking of grocery shopping, I was told we were hosting a Super Bowl party Thursday night -- Surprise! Mr.Stunt and Thing2 were working on a car project and came up with the bright idea. Back to wrangling furniture into theater-seating, soup simmering and cookie baking.

Ah, how timely! I just took one of the 18-year-tabbies [GirlCat] to our Vet To Lower Roncesvalles for a check-up and pawdicure. Girl's got the worst damn claws in the world.

Super Bowl? Pearlite Lite finds it vastly funny down in New Haven that Super Bowl stock-up [similar to Yale/Harvard game stock-up] consists of cases of beer, crockpots o' something, and 48-packs of toilet paper. We're not exactly sportsy people...

• Love 6

he shoots, he scores   TOUCHDOWN.....

on another note, had to get a new credit cards from bank as our current one had a data breach.

got an email from a security place that said our credit card was compromised cause a hotel we had previously stayed in was hacked and payment info stolen...  we should get new card in 5 to 7 business days..

grumble grumble grumble...

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, pearlite said:

Ah, how timely! I just took one of the 18-year-tabbies [GirlCat] to our Vet To Lower Roncesvalles for a check-up and pawdicure. Girl's got the worst damn claws in the world.

I have to dose Melvin with cat tranquilizers to get him in the carrier; Don't Fence Me In! lunacy. He's fine in the car, as long as he can hang from the headliner and howl like a banshee ... Then I need Mother's Little Helpers for the ride home.

Super Bowl? Pearlite Lite finds it vastly funny down in New Haven that Super Bowl stock-up [similar to Yale/Harvard game stock-up] consists of cases of beer, crockpots o' something, and 48-packs of toilet paper. We're not exactly sportsy people...

Cases of beer, full crockpots and 48-packs of toilet paper is evidence to the contrary. We're not a big football family, but a national event draws a crowd when there's a big screen tv.

The race to Costco turned into a Suburban packed with food, provisions and libations.

2 hours ago, boes said:

Ah yes, Super bowl Sunday.  The game is over either when somebody gets the ball in the basket or someone steals a base and takes it home.

I know my sports.

Playing Calvinball again? 

It's really about the commercials, the bad halftime show (Justin Timberlake shares his dick in a box), and sports betting. The NFL is only there to accommodate the sports economy and expand the study of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. 

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"Get out the rye bread and mustard, Grandma, it is grand salami time!" 

<snerk> That's baseball!

Mariners sportscaster Dave Niehaus was a great radio play-by-play announcer.

• Love 7
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, peacheslatour said:

Right? He's a local legend, it's just not the same watching the M's without him.

He was an old school radio personality, and well know nationally. I had the good fortune to attend several of his presentations on sports radio at conventions. He was a big Seattle/Tacoma supporter.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, jpagan05 said:

Happy Caturday!

kemosabe.jpg.d5ea294e03965cc413ccdedb70c4b6a3.jpg

What a handsome boy with his white moustache and beard!

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Found something for pearlite.

41JKlsQ7JhL.jpg

How did you know, Cupid? And thanks!

Coincidence--PearliteLite and I started picking up pieces of this pattern, "Wrendale," Royal Worcester, about six months ago. PLL has the owl mug, and we pick up a couple of pieces every few months.

Edited by pearlite
couldn't even spell dotter's screen name...
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, pearlite said:

How did you know, Cupid? And thanks!

Coincidence--PearliteLite and I started picking up pieces of this pattern, "Wrendale," Royal Worcester, about six months ago. PLL has the owl mug, and we pick up a couple of pieces every few months.

Who would appreciate a Dachsie?

giphy-20-1.gif

Pearlite!

I found a set of the Christmas-themed "Wrendale" mugs as a gift when we visited Oxford in November. The shop registered us with Royal Worcester as a customer and I received a catalog. I ordered the Hare Brained coupe plates, more Christmas mug sets for gifts next year and several candles on sale.

I do love china and Royal Worcester is addictive. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

giphy-20-1.gif

Pearlite!

I found a set of the Christmas-themed "Wrendale" mugs as a gift when we visited Oxford in November. The shop registered us with Royal Worcester as a customer and I received a catalog. I ordered the Hare Brained coupe plates, more Christmas mug sets for gifts next year and several candles on sale.

Look at that happy smiling little face and he/she is not just wagging his/her tail, it's wagging his/her whole body! Love the crazy bunny china.

On a sad note RIP John Mahoney (Martin Crane and many other roles).

• Love 11
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

There were a lot of good ones, I especially liked the Tide ones. And Peter Dinklage is foine!

I have a bit of a crush on him too! 

That weiner dog is adorable. G loves dachshunds. He's friends with one named Duddly and used to be pals with another named Crouton. George is officially sick of winter. Some days when we step outside he looks at the ground and sighs then looks at me like "again with this shit?" Sometimes i have to carry him because of the slush or salt and obviously he loves being carried by me, but when outside a boy doggy also wants to run and sniff or chase...so this routine is boring him. 

That china is beautiful! Elegant and who can resist a cute bunny? I used to have some old bunny stuff from Avon and Fitz and Floyd. 

• Love 8

^George isn't alone.  There's a storm headed our way tonight. Anywhere from 3 to 5 inches of snow are forecast overnight, followed by some freezing rain.  Some of the spazzy weather-readers are saying it could be 8 inches.  "8 inches" should only be used to describe one thing, and it isn't snow.  Whatever happens, tomorrow morning's commute should be fun!

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

giphy-20-1.gif

Pearlite!

Oh, who's a little sweetheart there! Boy I love doxies! Thanks.

Those coupe plates aren't available here yet--and I didn't know they did Christmas-y stuff!

Never get me going on china--I'm terminally addicted. BTW, the china on the show sucks rocks--only Kay Chancellor had Royal Albert Heirloom, and cute as it is, it was a dubious choice, and a bit downmarket  for someone that rich. She would have gone for Crown Derby, Spode, or Herend.

images_018.jpg

15 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

^George isn't alone.  There's a storm headed our way tonight. Anywhere from 3 to 5 inches of snow are forecast overnight, followed by some freezing rain.  Some of the spazzy weather-readers are saying it could be 8 inches.  "8 inches" should only be used to describe one thing, and it isn't snow.  Whatever happens, tomorrow morning's commute should be fun!

George is really not alone.

Took me over an hour and a half to drive to school this morning at 10--40 km per hour. Normally 30 minutes. I wore out the St Christopher and the rosary on the rear-view is exhausted. And it's still bloody snowing.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, pearlite said:

Oh, who's a little sweetheart there! Boy I love doxies! Thanks.

The grin slays me.

Those coupe plates aren't available here yet--and I didn't know they did Christmas-y stuff!

This is one mug of the mixed design set I gave as a gift:

41LnULMtSeL._AC_UL250_SR250,250_.jpg

And these are the Christmas mugs I recently ordered on sale:

9e30fa23723315902166bce453bb5749.jpg

Never get me going on china--I'm terminally addicted. BTW, the china on the show sucks rocks--only Kay Chancellor had Royal Albert Heirloom, and cute as it is, it was a dubious choice, and a bit downmarket  for someone that rich. She would have gone for Crown Derby, Spode, or Herend.

image.png.a0caa0ca494007b92f75159b9ffd7960.png

Me too! I scour flea markets, tag sales, consignment stores, Craigslist, and Ebay for china and art pottery.

The Royal Albert Heirloom gilded, fussy design was aesthetically similar to Mrs. Chancellor's sitting room. For TV production, it was fairly common china pattern and not that expensive to replace in case of breakage.

The Colonnade Room set an elegant formal table; snow white tablecloths with silver place settings, multiple crystal wine glasses, rimmed china. Before the GCAC remodel a few years ago, they used a nice baronial-style china place setting. In the last 5-6 years, the prop dishes have become more informal for all dining situations; most of the time people are drinking out of disposable cups, standard bar glassware, common mugs, noshing at Crimson Lights or eating take out off their coffee tables.

• Love 7

I want that tea cup! I have a very modest collection which started with my husband’s grandmother’s , his mother’s and mine’s. Some are over 75 years old. 

Show really has cheaped out in the last decade but I suppose it reflects modern society. I have a formal dining room complete with full plate settings and silver. It might be old fashioned but. I love it and it taught my children how to behave in a formal setting. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:
18 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

And these are the Christmas mugs I recently ordered on sale:

9e30fa23723315902166bce453bb5749.jpg

Me too! I scour flea markets, tag sales, consignment stores, Craigslist, and Ebay for china and art pottery.

The Royal Albert Heirloom gilded, fussy design was aesthetically similar to Mrs. Chancellor's sitting room. For TV production, it was fairly common china pattern and not that expensive to replace in case of breakage.

The Colonnade Room set an elegant formal table; snow white tablecloths with silver place settings, multiple crystal wine glasses, rimmed china. Before the GCAC remodel a few years ago, they used a nice baronial-style china place setting. In the last 5-6 years, the prop dishes have become more informal for all dining situations; most of the time people are drinking out of disposable cups, standard bar glassware, common mugs, noshing at Crimson Lights or eating take out off their coffee tables.

Yet another coincidence, Cupid! I bought those candy-cane Christmas Tree mugs last year and we used them for the first time this past Christmas.

And yup, the Colonnade Room table props were great. And the GCAC still has the green bordered service plates.

• Love 5

My crazy grandmother had an enormous set of flow blue. I don't know if any of you collect that or find it pretty but I liked it because it reminded me of blue willow.  I think it's a shame when old and beautiful things like that are destroyed or sold casually. 

Its a big winter storm here in Chicago area. My first day at my new non retail job is Monday. Speaking of @jewel21 how's everything work and health wise with you? And how's the male pinup of the bird world Steve doing? 

• Love 6