Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Good luck on Monday, Petunia! You'll do great.

I'm okay, been a bit blah lately. My arm still bothers me. I had a surgical consult a couple of weeks back to find out more about the surgery. I have to be put under and they will insert a drip which I need to keep in for a week or two. It also will require me to take 4 weeks off of work which I wasn't expecting. I've been kind of down lately since finding out about the surgery...

Work is fine at least so thanks for asking.

Steve is as adorable as ever. I'm bringing him to the vet on Monday for another blood test since it's been six months since his last one and they want to check his liver values once more. I'm bringing him to the new vet place again and it's the first time they're drawing his blood so I hope it goes okay. I also plan to get his nails clipped and I can't wait because they're super long.

Did I post this picture? He was feeling ignored. Usually when this happens, he'll fly and perch on my monitor, this time he landed right on the keyboard, lol.

Also, what is flow blue?

21462591_1553369631414694_2631355646694734802_n.jpg

• Love 10
10 hours ago, pearlite said:

Yet another coincidence, Cupid! I bought those candy-cane Christmas Tree mugs last year and we used them for the first time this past Christmas.

And yup, the Colonnade Room table props were great. And the GCAC still has the green bordered service plates.

My sister collects Spode Christmas Tree Garland. She picked up a set of the Spode peppermint rimmed snack plates for the last holiday, and I thought the mugs would be a fun gift for her next Christmas. Her Spode design was discontinued, so I try to find Christmas Tree pieces that coordinate, rather than overwhelm her design.

1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

My crazy grandmother had an enormous set of flow blue. I don't know if any of you collect that or find it pretty but I liked it because it reminded me of blue willow.  I think it's a shame when old and beautiful things like that are destroyed or sold casually.  

Flow blue is exquisite! My grandmother uses her Grindley Argyle flow blue every day. She refused to let it go when she moved from her house to the condo. She said it was a privilege to still be able to hand wash her china. 

Whenever I see full sets of china for sale, I think of all the family dinners and celebrations served, and hope the china goes to another family to enhance their lives. A lot of people don't want the bother of handling fine china.

Its a big winter storm here in Chicago area. My first day at my new non retail job is Monday.

Be careful.

Breath. Stretch, and shake off the jips over the weekend. You're going to be great at your new job. 

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Good luck on Monday, Petunia! You'll do great.

I'm okay, been a bit blah lately. My arm still bothers me. I had a surgical consult a couple of weeks back to find out more about the surgery. I have to be put under and they will insert a drip which I need to keep in for a week or two. It also will require me to take 4 weeks off of work which I wasn't expecting. I've been kind of down lately since finding out about the surgery...

Work is fine at least so thanks for asking.

Steve is as adorable as ever. I'm bringing him to the vet on Monday for another blood test since it's been six months since his last one and they want to check his liver values once more. I'm bringing him to the new vet place again and it's the first time they're drawing his blood so I hope it goes okay. I also plan to get his nails clipped and I can't wait because they're super long.

Did I post this picture? He was feeling ignored. Usually when this happens, he'll fly and perch on my monitor, this time he landed right on the keyboard, lol.

Also, what is flow blue?

21462591_1553369631414694_2631355646694734802_n.jpg

Four weeks is a long time to be out of work. 

Steve is looking good. Are you taking him to the new vet? How has that been going so far?

Flow Blue China article

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Translation, por favor?

Roughly, "fuck, it's all blocked up everywhere. Drive, idiot--don't you know how to drive, or what? [Whore, transl. as fuck] but some of us have to work here. Congratulations, now it's red--are you happy, asshole?"

Just lived through this one Wednesday morning...

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 8

Cupid, it's funny about blue-and-white china--when I was younger, it didn't do a thing for me. Got some Crown Derby Blue Mikado--Crown Derby is kind of my thing. In fact, I've got a few cartons of a fairly good Blue Willow in the basement--every factory made a version of it. But now, I'm a sucker for blue and white--just started treating myself to Spode Blue Italian once in a while.

blue italian.JPGThis lady's FB page is very pleasant: https://www.facebook.com/Blue-White-Treasures-404762032984816/

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 6

all those china patterns are beautiful..

when my mother in law passed, she willed to me some of her jewelry and her crystal she obtained from a factory in vienna.  it is a beautiful red colour with enamel and gold hand painted on it....one of the little vases are broken but i still have the pieces together... tried to look it up on ebay but at the time i couldn't find it.

• Love 6

My mom gave a two Moquol flow blue plates. I love them and I was just looking at them because you guys reminded me. I noticed one is scratched. This is why you never want to give me anything nice.

Roughly, "fuck, it's all blocked up everywhere. Drive, idiot--don't you know how to drive, or what? [Whore, transl. as fuck] but some of us have to work here. Congratulations, now it's red--are you happy, asshole?"

Thanks! I love it!

• Love 6

Haha, thanks for the laugh, Capricasix.

Cupid Stunt, we are in fact going to the new vet. This is only our second visit but hopefully it'll go well.

And yeah, four weeks is a long time to be off of work. Hopefully they won't replace me while I'm gone, heh.

• Love 5

I have to have some breast tissue removed from my right underarm. It's been causing me pain every day since July or so...The surgeon said it's better to do it now because when I get older, there's a high probability it will become cancerous.

• Love 7

oh jewel, i had forgot.  i am sorry i had to ask you again..

and yes, it is best it's done now and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

can you get ei for the month you are off work?  on the medical ground?

i did that when i had my hysterectomy.

off course that was a hundred years ago...or so it seems.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, pearlite said:

Cupid, it's funny about blue-and-white china--when I was younger, it didn't do a thing for me. Got some Crown Derby Blue Mikado--Crown Derby is kind of my thing. In fact, I've got a few cartons of a fairly good Blue Willow in the basement--every factory made a version of it. But now, I'm a sucker for blue and white--just started treating myself to Spode Blue Italian once in a while.

blue italian.JPGThis lady's FB page is very pleasant: https://www.facebook.com/Blue-White-Treasures-404762032984816/

The mug is so pretty! Bernardis Antiques has a lovely Blue Mikado tea pot, with a covered sugar and creamer.

Royal Crown Derby is a wonderful china brand, with a long history of decorative design. Some of their traditional patterns have been incorporated to modern designs.

My mother-in-law uses Royal Crown Derby Olde Avesbury for her formal table; it's an amazing china display. 

1.jpg

My sister-in-law collects all things Old Imari. Every historic variation of the design has its own cupboard.

P0000079973S0298T2.jpg

The FB lady had me with her cover page of the juvenile pitcher and washbowl; Adorable! I love children's china. That's a great collection of pictures! I got lost in there, looking up patterns and china manufacturers I was unfamiliar with.

• Love 4

I watched the Winter Olympics opening ceremony on CBC. I can't watch NBCs sports coverage, with or without Matt Lauer <Ick!>. NBC has too much fluffy, human interest, happy news on mainstream sports everyone knows a little something about, and give non-American athletes zero coverage. <snore>

He's back again! 

Tongan Pita Taufatofua, last seen representing his country in taekwondo at the Rio Summer Games, is in Pyeongchang to compete in cross-country skiing at these Winter Olympics. He’s once again shirtless and oiled-up, despite the sub-freezing temperature. 

tongas-famous-flagbearer-pita-taufatofua

Mmmm ... They grow them good lookin' in Tonga.

• Love 7

Oh, Cupid, remember me in your prayers...

Having to redesign/recreate out-of-date Intro Media course. Trying to finish the radio unit, and suffering as I hit PPT slide 25...nationalized vs commercial radio...  Maybe lots of pictures--yeah, that's the ticket...

And it's still snowing here for the second day straight so who wants to get wet to the knees walking up the street?

Edited by pearlite
you changed your strike-thru icon
  • Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, pearlite said:

Oh, Cupid, remember me in your prayers...

Having to redesign/recreate out-of-date Intro Media course. Trying to finish the radio unit, and suffering as I hit PPT slide 25...nationalized vs commercial radio...  Maybe lots of pictures--yeah, that's the ticket...

How did you end up with that thankless job?

Beaucoup pictures ... and if you can toss in some complementary audio ...

And it's still snowing here for the second day straight so who wants to get wet to the knees walking up the street?

This is what you need for those snowy days ...

B.C. dog learns to push a snowblower, fetch a beer

Job well done, Morgan.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

How did you end up with that thankless job?

Beaucoup pictures ... and if you can toss in some complementary audio ...

End up with course-design for the same reason you end up with things. Because we can.

• Love 4

So I brought Steve to the vet today. A nice couple who have been coming for physio for a year offered to pick me and Steve up and drive us to the South shore and then back home. It took them an hour and a half just to get to my place and then another 30 minutes to get to the clinic. Once there, I was told I had the wrong time but luckily was able to be seen after waiting about 40 minutes.

And in the end, they were only able to trim his nails because Steve decided to move at the last second and the needle they were trying to put in his jugular to draw blood ended up causing a large hematoma. Now we have to wait two weeks and try again. Well, at least I was able to pick up some bags of food and benebac but still. The couple asked when I had to go back but I felt terrible having to make them come and pick us up all over again so I told them it was fine and I could take a bus.

Damn you, Steve. Why you gotta be so difficult? He put up such a struggle, he still looks like a cat chewed him up and spit him out hours later. His wing feathers are disheveled and he can't seem to put them back in place. And he only now started to nibble a bit at his food.

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 10

It was adventurous and interesting and I can tell I will learn a lot! Some of the guys are gruff but they are Russian Engineers and Software Developers. It's a small start up so cuz it's new and smaller there's a lot of teaching and opportunities to collect experience. 

my old work didn't handle my leaving with class. I was told by my friend the produce manager and my own boss they hoped it didn't work out, thy also are spinning it like I left because I'm butt hurt I was passed up for my promotion and disgruntled and bitter. Um no. I was passed up. I want more money and responsibility. I found something immmediately that would give me that. That's LOGIC not bitterness. They made it personal because a lot of people are upset I left and confused or they are worried about the store without me running sales.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

It was adventurous and interesting and I can tell I will learn a lot! Some of the guys are gruff but they are Russian Engineers and Software Developers. It's a small start up so cuz it's new and smaller there's a lot of teaching and opportunities to collect experience. 

my old work didn't handle my leaving with class. I was told by my friend the produce manager and my own boss they hoped it didn't work out, thy also are spinning it like I left because I'm butt hurt I was passed up for my promotion and disgruntled and bitter. Um no. I was passed up. I want more money and responsibility. I found something immmediately that would give me that. That's LOGIC not bitterness. They made it personal because a lot of people are upset I left and confused or they are worried about the store without me running sales.

The hell with your old job and your old co-workers who can't be happy for you.  Put them all behind you like a bad habit because they're not your friends and it sounds to me like they never were.

Your new job sounds exciting!  I hope they appreciate you the way you deserve!!

• Love 14

Boes is absolutely right: If these people can't make the least attempt to wish you well, you're better off seeing them grow smaller in your rearview mirror.

It is your courage and desire to change your future that has brought you this new opportunity. Have a great day tomorrow! 

Daryle Singletary, country singer-songwriter, died at his home in Lebanon, Tennessee, on Monday morning (Feb. 12) at the age of 46. He was a singer widely acclaimed for his powerful vocals known on hits including “I Let Her Lie” and “Too Much Fun." Singletary's death was announced by his music booking and promotions company, McAplin Entertainment.

Born in Cairo, Georgia, in 1971, Singletary moved to Nashville in the early 1990s to pursue a career in country music. He eventually signed with Giant Records in 1990, where he released his first three studio albums, including All Because of You and Ain’t It the Truth.

Singletary scored 14 entries on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart in his career, three of which reached the top 10: “I Let Her Lie” hit No. 2 in November 1995, “Too Much Fun” climbed to No. 4 in March 1996 and “Amen Kind of Love” rose to No. 2 on March 1997. His most recent Hot Country Songs hit, “I’d Love to Lay You Down,” reached No. 43 in November 2002.

Singletary's devotion of the traditional honky-tonk country sound endeared him not only to the general public but to fellow artists with whom he would collaborate, releasing various projects that teamed him with George Jones and Johnny Paycheck, Dwight Yoakam, Merle Haggard, Ricky Skaggs, John Anderson and Vince Gill. His most recent LP was 2017's American Grandstand, a duets collection with bluegrass legend Rhonda Vincent.

At a time when country was becoming increasingly glossy, Singletary took pride in his traditional country sound: A quote on his official website reads, “There are still people out there who want to hear traditional country music.” There, Singletary is quoted as saying, “I’ve been fortunate to be able to always keep it real and not have to compromise.”

Singletary is survived by his wife, Holly; two sons, Jonah and Mercer; two daughters, Nora and Charlotte; his parents, Roger and Anita Singletary; and brother Kevin Singletary.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Also, the Icelandic composer Jóhann Jóhansson passed away last weekend in Berlin, at the age of 48. He composed the soundtracks to The Theory of Everything, Sicario, and Arrival. Such a loss.

Jóhannsson received Academy Award nominations for “The Theory of Everything and “Sicario,” winning a Golden Globe for the former; he also received a Globe nomination for “Arrival.” He most recently served as music and sound consultant on Darren Aronofsky’s “mother!” and Panos Cosmatos’ “Mandy,” which premiered at Sundance last month. The composer recently scored James Marsh’s latest film The Mercy, which opened this weekend in the U.K. and wrote the music for Garth Davis’ film Mary Magdalene with Rooney Mara, which is scheduled to open in the U.K this March.

Jóhannsson released numerous solo composition, beginning with his album Englaborn in 2002. In 2015, his piece “Drone Man” for string quartet, electronics, and vocal ensemble was performed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. He is well known for combining electronic sounds with the more conventional aspects of orchestral music.

Jóhannsson is survived by his parents, daughter, and three sisters.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

does anyone here visit the soapsheknows y&r forum?  have you tried today?

i tried to access it but the forum briefly appeared then turned into a page of text that just said the young and the restless over and over

It's working now.

• Love 1

A little reported dialogue that reminded me of the bonding power of soaps.

This is yesterday afternoon; finished teaching for the day, just turned off the car in supermarket parking lot. Phone pings. Texts from PLL in New Haven:

- PearliteLite: ABC soap on at the gym here--is that Nancy Grahn? And Anna something?

- PL: Kudos on your memory--only one ABC soap now

- PL: Anna Devane AKA Finola Hughes

- PLL: Right--GH

[Neither of us ever watched GH except sporadically. PLL was actually a OLTL gal--she still misses Erika Slezak.]

- PLL: Oh, there's Healthy Carly

- PL: Great hair but not a Carly

- PLL: No, Carlys are rat-faced

- PLL: Opa, there's Sonny

Not a riveting dialogue but just a kind of tribute to the way soaps can connect us, and a bit sad that they're dwindling away.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, pearlite said:

A little reported dialogue that reminded me of the bonding power of soaps.

This is yesterday afternoon; finished teaching for the day, just turned off the car in supermarket parking lot. Phone pings. Texts from PLL in New Haven:

- PearliteLite: ABC soap on at the gym here--is that Nancy Grahn? And Anna something?

- PL: Kudos on your memory--only one ABC soap now

- PL: Anna Devane AKA Finola Hughes

- PLL: Right--GH

[Neither of us ever watched GH except sporadically. PLL was actually a OLTL gal--she still misses Erika Slezak.]

- PLL: Oh, there's Healthy Carly

- PL: Great hair but not a Carly

- PLL: No, Carlys are rat-faced

- PLL: Opa, there's Sonny

Not a riveting dialogue but just a kind of tribute to the way soaps can connect us, and a bit sad that they're dwindling away.

I liked reading this, thanks.  

Tell PLL that she's not alone in missing Erika Slezak.  

• Love 5

i was just watching cnn again....

they were showing the courtroom in florida where nickolas cruz was....he never looked up once.

i can't help it, but i kinda feel sorry for him...i know what he did was heinous but i just feel that the system failed him.

diagnosed with autism, has a mental illness, his past homelife was was filled with turmoil and his depression worsened after his mother's death in november.

he will more than likely get the death penalty when all is said and done..

so many red flags were up and no one noticed..

of course mental health care goes untreated and the laws allow him to buy arms and ammo...

no one need agree or disagree, this is just how i am feeling right now.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I wonder if Tom Hanks is going to be able to really embody Fred Rogers in the upcoming film.

And I thought Tom Hanks was playing Fred Rodgers in The Post. <very small joke, but if that was a supposed to be a depiction of Ben Bradlee, then I'll eat my flip flop>

I heard about Big Beach Films producing a screenplay from Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster, and this seems to be the one. I don't have much faith in how the film will represent Fred Rodgers as a member of the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship or his TV production philosophy. I am disappointed that the producers didn't sign Michael Keaton, who worked with Fred Rogers many moons ago -- So many lost opportunities. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

And I thought Tom Hanks was playing Fred Rodgers in The Post. <very small joke, but if that was a supposed to be a depiction of Ben Bradlee, then I'll eat my flip flop>

I heard about Big Beach Films producing a screenplay from Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster, and this seems to be the one. I don't have much faith in how the film will represent Fred Rodgers as a member of the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship or his TV production philosophy. I am disappointed that the producers didn't sign Michael Keaton, who worked with Fred Rogers many moons ago -- So many lost opportunities. 

I like Tom Hanks but does he have to pay every real life hero? I think Jim Parsons would be ideal. I think he has the look, could do the voice and he projects a certain gentle sureness that Mr. Rogers had in abundance.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I like Tom Hanks but does he have to pay every real life hero? I think Jim Parsons would be ideal. I think he has the look, could do the voice and he projects a certain gentle sureness that Mr. Rogers had in abundance.

Jim Parsons would have been stellar, and has a similar physique like Mr. Rodgers. Parsons is a young man, and age might be a factor to the screen play. 

• Love 6

When I was a student at Pitt, the WQED studio where Mr. Rogers worked was just a couple of blocks from campus, so it was not at all uncommon to run into him in a bookstore or coffee shop.  

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

When I was a student at Pitt, the WQED studio where Mr. Rogers worked was just a couple of blocks from campus, so it was not at all uncommon to run into him in a bookstore or coffee shop.  

Amazing! I saw him speak at a PBS-sponsored gathering years ago, and I was enthralled as he spoke about his career in children's programing. 

While watching TV during seminary, he saw children's programming with yelling, fighting, people throwing pies at each other, which he believed was both demeaning and an opportunity. As thousands of veterans returned from WWII and started families, these battle-tested men risked creating a generation of wounded and emotionally stunted children. The new media invention of television in American homes was a vehicle for teaching kids to cope with life’s difficulties and express their feelings, but it was used mostly for mindless entertainment. Once graduating from seminary, the Presbyterian Church didn't know how to place Fred Rodgers, so the his presbytery sponsor gave him a special commission to be an evangelist to children through the new television media.

Fifty years ago, February 19, 1968, Fred Rogers showed up on national public television as the host of what then was a brand new children's show called Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, Fred Rogers shared his real self with us when he went national on public TV, removed his jacket and dress shoes, slipped on a sweater and sneakers and talked gently about tying shoelaces.

5 things 'Mister Rogers' can still teach us

• Love 9

He taught us to like ourselves and others just the way we are.  He taught us to be curious about our world and not to dwell on the negative. I'll always remember his mother's advice.:

Fred Rogers often told this story about when he was a boy and would see scary things on the news: “My mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers — so many caring people in this world.”

• Love 13

The military is just like us -- it can’t PowerPoint either.

The Pentagon isn’t just any American military braintrust -- it’s also a vast bureaucracy filled with middle managers and that means it’s churning out lots of presentations. Bureaucratic presentations means PowerPoint, the universally loathed presentation software, and no one presents a worse PowerPoint quite like the US military.

The Internet Archive -- the site that catalogs the world’s digital detritus -- has collected hundreds of publicly available military PowerPoints and preserved them for public consumption. The Archive calls it the Military Industrial PowerPoint Complex and it's as bad as you’d expect a mix of high technology, bloody wars, and banal graphics to be.

sound-advice-from-dr-strangelove-i-submi

• Love 5

I don't like my new job. I called my old one and my former boss was super bitter and angry like I had dumped him personally instead of quit. ? Now I don't know what to do. 

My mom told I shouldn't have asked for my job back now he's gonna tell everyone in the store. It really sucks since when I was there I was the greatest and so liked and did overnights and there everyday. Now it's like "screw you! That's what you get for quitting me! Goood luck!"

• Love 7