Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol. Right now my cat is sitting up very straight on the end of our bed intently watching The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Melvin watches The Weather Channel like his Chinese Masters are giving him precise instructions on how to build military bases on Pacific atolls.

Cat's keep you on your toes.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

If any of you are X Files fans, they're running Home right now on BBC America. 4:PM Pacific. I believe it's the first time this particular episode has been shown on TV since it was originally shown in 1996. Warning: Extremely disturbing.

I find David Duchovny extremely disturbing.

Bea went in for examinations and scans all day, and returns Wednesday for endoscopic surgery. Dad is in excellent shape.

Commercial and critical darling Kendrick Lamar wins Pulitzer

And very well deserved.  His major-label debut, 2012's good kid, m.A.A.d city, was vivid autobiography, a deconstruction of gangsta rap centered around tales of a childhood in Compton, where many of his friends were gangbangers and police harassment was a constant threat. The follow-up, 2015's To Pimp a Butterfly, was a cerebral, jazzy, dazzling meditation on race in America that spawned one of the decade's most important songs, the Black Lives Matter anthem "Alright" – but no radio smashes. On his 2017, DAMN., Kendrick switched lanes, making an LP that's just as smart and conceptual, dazzling with tight, accessible hooks.

• Love 3

Randy Scruggs, Award-Winning Musician, Guitarist, Producer, Songwriter and Studio Owner, Dead at 64

Randy Scruggs died Tuesday, April 17, after a brief illness.

Scruggs was the CMA Musician of the Year in 1999, 2003 and 2006. He won four Grammy Awards for his instrumental work — “Earl’s Breakdown” (2001), “Foggy Mountain Breakdown” (1998), “Soldier’s Joy” (1994) and “Amazing Grace” (1989). Among the many artists he has produced are Waylon Jennings, Levon Helm, Emmylou Harris, Diamond Rio, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, John Denver, Toby Keith, New Grass Revival, Dwight Yoakam, Leftover Salmon, Lisa Loeb, Steve Wariner, Loretta Lynn, Russ Taff and Alison Krauss. Scruggs was an in-demand session musician who played on hundreds of Nashville recording sessions. He can be heard on records by such Hall of Fame artists as Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, George Strait, Bobby Bare, Charlie Daniels, Randy Travis, Vince Gill, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Ricky Skaggs and Tom T. Hall, as well as the artists he produced.

As a songwriter, he earned accolades for a number of hits. He and Earl Thomas Conley co-wrote the star’s “Your Love’s On the Line,” “Don’t Make It Easy For Me,” “Angel in Disguise,” “Chance of Lovin’ You” and “Love Don’t Care (Whose Heart it Breaks)” in 1983-85. Scruggs also co-wrote the Sawyer Brown 1986 hit songs “Shakin’” and “Out Goin’ Cattin,’” Billy Joe Royal’s “Love Has No Right” (1989) and Deana Carter’s “We Danced Anyway” (1997) and “There’s No Limit” (2002).

Born in 1953, Randy Scruggs was raised to be a musician alongside his older brother Gary and younger brother Steve (1958-1992) by their legendary parents Earl Scruggs (1924-2012) and Louise Scruggs (1927-2006). Randy was a guest on the Flatt & Scruggs TV series at age 9. He participated in his first recording session at age 13. Randy and Gary formed a rock duo and recorded two LPs for Vanguard Records in 1969-70. The brothers then formed the country-rock band The Earl Scruggs Revue with their dad. That act had several chart singles and albums in 1970-1980.

After the family band drew to a close, Randy Scruggs quickly became a first-call session musician. Among his earliest star clients were Linda Ronstadt, Marty Robbins and Willie Nelson. He retained his status as a top session guitarist for decades. He recorded with everyone from Larry Gatlin, Tracy Nelson, Billy Joe Shaver, John Hartford, Moe Bandy and Vern Gosdin to Rosanne Cash, Pam Tillis, Marty Stuart, the Dixie Chicks, Bruce Hornsby, Miranda Lambert and Wilco. During the 1980s and 1990s, more than 100 of his songs were recorded by major artists. Among these were Gene Watson, Martina McBride, Patty Loveless and The Seldom Scene.

Beginning in 1979, Randy Scruggs owned and operated his own studio in Berry Hill. Scruggs Sound hosted two of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s Will the Circle Be Unbroken projects. In fact, 1989’s Will the Circle Be Unbroken II earned producer Scruggs a CMA Album of the Year award. Others who have used his studio include Don Williams, Jason & The Scorchers, Bobby Vinton, Charley Pride, Tanya Tucker, Andy Williams, Ronnie Milsap and Anne Murray.

As a producer, he continued to make news with the all-star AIDS-awareness album Red, Hot & Country (1995) and the Keith Whitley tribute album (1994). In 1998, Reprise Records released the exceptional all-star album Crown of Jewels. Credited as Scruggs' solo effort, the LP featured contributions from several artists with Emmylou Harris, Iris DeMent, John Prine, Joan Osborne, Trisha Yearwood, Amy Grant, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Delbert McClinton and Earl Scruggs among them. The charting single from the collection was “It’s Only Love,” a collaboration with Mary Chapin Carpenter. In recent years, Randy Scruggs has been contributing to projects by such up-and- coming acts as Mo Pitney, Elizabeth Cook, the Pistol Annies, Stoney LaRue and Wade Bowen. He recently sold Scruggs Sound Studios to Canadian singer-songwriter Johnny Reid, who reportedly plans to maintain the facility’s musical legacy.

He is survived by his wife Sandy, his daughter Lindsey and his brother Gary. There will be no funeral service. A memorial event is being planned at a later date. Contributions in his name may be made to MusicCares or the T.J. Martell Foundation.

Flatpicking guitar in heaven.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Randy Scruggs, Award-Winning Musician, Guitarist, Producer, Songwriter and Studio Owner, Dead at 64

Randy Scruggs died Tuesday, April 17, after a brief illness.

Scruggs was the CMA Musician of the Year in 1999, 2003 and 2006. He won four Grammy Awards for his instrumental work — “Earl’s Breakdown” (2001), “Foggy Mountain Breakdown” (1998), “Soldier’s Joy” (1994) and “Amazing Grace” (1989). Among the many artists he has produced are Waylon Jennings, Levon Helm, Emmylou Harris, Diamond Rio, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, John Denver, Toby Keith, New Grass Revival, Dwight Yoakam, Leftover Salmon, Lisa Loeb, Steve Wariner, Loretta Lynn, Russ Taff and Alison Krauss. Scruggs was an in-demand session musician who played on hundreds of Nashville recording sessions. He can be heard on records by such Hall of Fame artists as Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, George Strait, Bobby Bare, Charlie Daniels, Randy Travis, Vince Gill, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Ricky Skaggs and Tom T. Hall, as well as the artists he produced.

As a songwriter, he earned accolades for a number of hits. He and Earl Thomas Conley co-wrote the star’s “Your Love’s On the Line,” “Don’t Make It Easy For Me,” “Angel in Disguise,” “Chance of Lovin’ You” and “Love Don’t Care (Whose Heart it Breaks)” in 1983-85. Scruggs also co-wrote the Sawyer Brown 1986 hit songs “Shakin’” and “Out Goin’ Cattin,’” Billy Joe Royal’s “Love Has No Right” (1989) and Deana Carter’s “We Danced Anyway” (1997) and “There’s No Limit” (2002).

Born in 1953, Randy Scruggs was raised to be a musician alongside his older brother Gary and younger brother Steve (1958-1992) by their legendary parents Earl Scruggs (1924-2012) and Louise Scruggs (1927-2006). Randy was a guest on the Flatt & Scruggs TV series at age 9. He participated in his first recording session at age 13. Randy and Gary formed a rock duo and recorded two LPs for Vanguard Records in 1969-70. The brothers then formed the country-rock band The Earl Scruggs Revue with their dad. That act had several chart singles and albums in 1970-1980.

After the family band drew to a close, Randy Scruggs quickly became a first-call session musician. Among his earliest star clients were Linda Ronstadt, Marty Robbins and Willie Nelson. He retained his status as a top session guitarist for decades. He recorded with everyone from Larry Gatlin, Tracy Nelson, Billy Joe Shaver, John Hartford, Moe Bandy and Vern Gosdin to Rosanne Cash, Pam Tillis, Marty Stuart, the Dixie Chicks, Bruce Hornsby, Miranda Lambert and Wilco. During the 1980s and 1990s, more than 100 of his songs were recorded by major artists. Among these were Gene Watson, Martina McBride, Patty Loveless and The Seldom Scene.

Beginning in 1979, Randy Scruggs owned and operated his own studio in Berry Hill. Scruggs Sound hosted two of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s Will the Circle Be Unbroken projects. In fact, 1989’s Will the Circle Be Unbroken II earned producer Scruggs a CMA Album of the Year award. Others who have used his studio include Don Williams, Jason & The Scorchers, Bobby Vinton, Charley Pride, Tanya Tucker, Andy Williams, Ronnie Milsap and Anne Murray.

As a producer, he continued to make news with the all-star AIDS-awareness album Red, Hot & Country (1995) and the Keith Whitley tribute album (1994). In 1998, Reprise Records released the exceptional all-star album Crown of Jewels. Credited as Scruggs' solo effort, the LP featured contributions from several artists with Emmylou Harris, Iris DeMent, John Prine, Joan Osborne, Trisha Yearwood, Amy Grant, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Delbert McClinton and Earl Scruggs among them. The charting single from the collection was “It’s Only Love,” a collaboration with Mary Chapin Carpenter. In recent years, Randy Scruggs has been contributing to projects by such up-and- coming acts as Mo Pitney, Elizabeth Cook, the Pistol Annies, Stoney LaRue and Wade Bowen. He recently sold Scruggs Sound Studios to Canadian singer-songwriter Johnny Reid, who reportedly plans to maintain the facility’s musical legacy.

He is survived by his wife Sandy, his daughter Lindsey and his brother Gary. There will be no funeral service. A memorial event is being planned at a later date. Contributions in his name may be made to MusicCares or the T.J. Martell Foundation.

Flatpicking guitar in heaven.

He was amazing. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Where’s Jewel? Haven’t seen her post for a while...I don’t know how to search for member profiles to see when she last posted. Hope she’s OK!

She was on yesterday and posted I A Quiet Place movie thread. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Where’s Jewel? Haven’t seen her post for a while...I don’t know how to search for member profiles to see when she last posted. Hope she’s OK!

Hi, sorry, I'm here! I'm just behind on show and most of the boards. I've been on reading kick lately so TV has suffered a bit, heh. 

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Hi, sorry, I'm here! I'm just behind on show and most of the boards. I've been on reading kick lately so TV has suffered a bit, heh. 

No worries! Glad to hear you’re OK ❤️

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

My drivers side door is stuck partially open ? I think it's the latch and the inner panel seems loose too

That's scary, and possibly expensive.

Some amateur tried to break into my '71 Monte Carlo by ruining the drivers door lock. I got the window crank and door panel off. There were broken parts from the lock caught into the internal door latch (they failed to slim jim the lock and bent the locking mechanism arms instead, and then destroyed the lock by using a drill bit). This was pre-Interwebs; it took a week of auto yard phone calls to locate a new set of door locks with keys and mechanism arms. I secured the door by stringing the lap belt through the sheet metal bracing, engaging the seat belt.

<sigh> Loved that Chevy.

Prince Death Investigation Closed With No Criminal Charges Filed

Below the fold is video of Carver County Attorney Mark Metz complete public announcement. It's heartbreaking.

Fantastic Sheila E. concert -- March 8, 1986, Warfield Theater, San Francisco, CA - Prince and The Revolution guesting on stage during Sheila E. show

Sheila E.: Live Romance 1600 VHS/laserdisc

<gutted>

• Love 3

Pass. I have to get my hair did and a mani/pedi for a MS benefit tonight.

Artist, DJ, and producer Tim Bergling, a.k.a. Avicii, died Friday afternoon in Oman. He was 28.

Statement from his representative: “It is with profound sorrow that we announce the loss of Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii,” the statement reads. “He was found dead in Muscat, Oman this Friday afternoon local time, April 20th. The family is devastated and we ask everyone to please respect their need for privacy in this difficult time. No further statements will be given.”

One of the most popular and successful electronic dance-music artists of all time — he scored a No. 4 hit on the Billboard 200 in 2013 with “Wake Me Up” regularly appeared in the Top 5 of Forbes’ “Highest-Paid DJs” lists — he retired from live performing in 2016 at the peak of his success, citing health reasons. He had suffered from health problems for several years, including acute pancreatitis, in part due to excessive drinking. He had his gallbladder and appendix removed in 2014.

He posted the following statement on his website last year: "We all reach a point in our lives and careers where we understand what matters the most to us. For me it’s creating music. That is what I live for, what I feel I was born to do. Last year I quit performing live, and many of you thought that was it. But the end of live never meant the end of Avicii or my music. Instead, I went back to the place where it all made sense – the studio. The next stage will be all about my love of making music to you guys. It is the beginning of something new. Hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.”

Bergling was born in Stockholm on Sept. 8, 1989. He began DJing as a teenager and released his first single in 2007. He released a large number of singles and remixes in the following years and rapidly built a reputation as a live act. He broke through with his 2010 hit “Seek Bromance,” which charted in several European countries; he signed a publishing deal with EMI the same year. He explained his chosen DJ name as “the lowest level of Buddhist hell,” chosen because his real name was already being used by another Tim Bergling on MySpace.

His 2011 single “Levels,” which was later nominated for a Grammy Award, vaulted him into the mainstream, charting in multiple European countries and topping the chart in his native Sweden. “Sunshine,” his 2012 collaboration with David Guetta, was nominated for a Grammy for best dance recording. In September of that year, he became the first DJ to headline New York’s prestigious Radio City Music Hall; at those two shows, he previewed a new song with Mike Posner titled “Stay with You.” His proper debut album, “True,” was released on September 2013, much of which was previewed during his headlining set at the Ultra Music Festival earlier that year. The album featured “Wake Me Up,” a collaboration with Aloe Blacc, which topped the charts in multiple countries across the world and was No. 1 for a record 14 weeks on Billboard’s Dance/Electronic Songs chart; it was also the U.K.’s fastest-selling single of 2013. Other singers on the album included Adam Lambert and Audra Mae. He also worked with Madonna during this period and contributed to two songs on her 2015 album “Rebel Heart,” although both parties seemed unhappy with the collaboration and Avicii said the final versions were quite different from his demos.

The extent of his popularity was reflected in a 2014 “Saturday Night Live” digital short called “When Will the Bass Drop?,” with comic Andy Samberg playing a fictional mega-DJ named “Davvincii” (although he was made up to look more like David Guetta).

However, as his popularity rose, his health declined. He was hospitalized in March 2014 and cancelled several tour appearances; not long after, he collaborated with Carlos Santana and Wyclef on the official FIFA World Cut Anthem “We Will Find a Way.” Also that year, he produced a song on Coldplay’s album “Ghost Stories.” He released his second full-length album, “Stories,” in October 2015. In March of 2016, he performed at the Ultra Music Festival, premiering new material, but 10 days later announced that he was retiring from performing. He made a final live appearance in August in Ibiza. In December, he parted ways with longtime manager Ash Pournouri.

In August of 2017 he released a six-track EP entitled “Avici,” which he said was the first of three installments that would be his next album. He followed a month later with a full-length documentary called “True Stories,” which was largely about his retirement. In it, promoters are seen trying to convince him to continue touring, even though he’s in obvious physical pain. “I looked at myself like, ‘F—, you should’ve really stood up for yourself more there. Come on, Tim!,'” he said of the documentary to Rolling Stone in an interview published last September. “Why didn’t I stop the ship earlier?”

“I needed to figure out my life,” he continued. “The whole thing was about success for the sake of success. I wasn’t getting any happiness anymore. Now that I have more time in the studio, I want to learn as much about other genres as possible. That’s what I love the most – having a session with Nile Rodgers, for instance, and getting an understanding of music that’s invaluable.”

2011 Collaboration of Avicii "Levels" and Flo Rida's "Good Feeling"

Revelation 21:4 KJB: And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Open car doors are no joke, and I'm glad you're safe, Petunia ... How is it at the job?

Smoke em' if you've got em'

Later that day I got a sale. I'm the first person on the sales department to ever get a sale and I did it on a lead I found and cold called. I didn't wanna jinx it but got a signed contract back by 9am and the project starts Monday am. I'm not bragging btw I'm supposed to sell, but maybe hopefully it will be more ok till I quit. 

• Love 9

Good job, Petunia! Cold calls demand research and nerves of steel by the sales person. Sharpen your skills on these experiences, it may be the only good thing you take away from this job. 

Prince's original recording of Nothing Compares 2 U, with previously unseen rehearsal footage

June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016

• Love 5

Yes if you guys have any tips or suggestions on sales I'm all ears. 

I sell IT developers. I'm not a recruiter - these are people who work in my office w me. This is why the sales team is only like a year old, the developers/architects used to find jobs themselves or from calls from recruiters. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Very sad about Avicii...I’m a fan of deadmau5, so giving him the ? and wishing he would stop smoking!

I'm a runner, and smoking interferes with performance. Deadmau5 latest release, Where's the Drop?, is excellent and available on mau5trap,

I saw Avicii at a producers showcase last winter, and he was still suffering from gall bladder and appendix removal two+ years before. It's really a loss.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

I sell IT developers. I'm not a recruiter - these are people who work in my office w me. This is why the sales team is only like a year old, the developers/architects used to find jobs themselves or from calls from recruiters. 

i'm sorry for being so dense and things have to be explained to me like i'm nick..

let's see if i have this correct.

your job is to call people and get them to hire your company to get them "connected"?

i mean get them all computerized and things?  or make their computer programs better?

i feel so stupid...but i'm old even if i tell my grands i'm only 23.

• Love 5

I call search companies and find out what they use then call them and try get them to hire my coworkers for implementations or solution audits or upgrades.  The guy I got on a project is going to do 2 months as a solution architect on a software system that's  breaking down for a company. 

It's hard to find very senior people in certain software in the US and with green cards and the benefit for the IT people is -if they have me and the other sales people in the office instead of outside recruiters or staffing companies - there's no margin. 

• Love 4

Well I appreciate any sales advice you have whether it's turns of phrases that are effective or techniques. I know some of you have sold and some of you have been hassled by sales people and you all are like 10x more intelligent than me. 

Realistically speaking I'd like to go back to retail in dept management in grocery or a department store but all the good ones in my area are taken and retail stores economically-wise are doing shitty.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

This is what I've got from my own successes and failures:

• Honesty, consistency, discipline, do not over-promise, integrity, character and reputation are important -- Essential as a female sales rep. Sexist BS is rampant in sales; don't forget your thick skin or where the exits are located.
  • Invest in your education -- research, reputable books on sales and brush up on what you're selling, lectures, convention guest speakers, school, training opportunities, mentors, interview experts -- focus on expanding your knowledge.
  • Have a plan for every sales call and be prepared -- I took notes about questions to ask the customer (they want to talk about their company and how to make things easier for them), then rough out an outline for the meeting, with those questions in mind.
  • Take on challenges -- Don't avoid difficult sales situations. They keep you frosty and hone you skills; it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something, because you have to learn from failure. Steel sharpens steel, as my grandfather used to say, and it still holds true.
  • Don't sell what you don't believe in -- It's exhausting to fake interest and enthusiasm selling something you think is mediocre. 
  • Change your mind and the rest will follow (Thank you, En Vogue) -- Checking your attitude to teach yourself to perform every single day, no matter how you feel, will shift your sales game. 
  • Don’t make the same mistake twice -- Go over your sales calls and keep track of what works and what doesn't. Failure isn't personal.
  • Keep precise notes on your customers, every call, email, meeting, mileage and receipts. Take note of their family, pets, sports, clubs, birthdays; keep it friendly and mention those affiliations (where applicable) in the conversation. Stay in contact with customers you've met with, but haven't signed. 
  • I'm a big believer in consultative sales; that you have a relationship and are a trusted advisor on the best solution for their specific needs, Sometimes the solution doesn't end up being what you're selling. Be honest and help them find people that can help them (keep you contact list updated with trusted consultants, and those consultants will remember you if you send a sale their way). Transactional sales for the sake of lining your pockets is crude business and hard on your soul -- customers being sold that way will hate the sight of you. Authenticity builds bridges. Be true to yourself.
  • Love 9

David Bowie!  One of my first crushes.  You always have great avatars, @Cupid Stunt, and you obviously have excellent and eclectic taste in music.  I don't know all of the artists you mention (e.g. Avicii, some of the country artists), but the ones I do know are ones I'm usually crazy for.  That makes me want to check out the ones I don't know.  Also, great advice for Petunia, particularly that last point.  Sincerety is the best quality in a salesperson, imo.  

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

David Bowie!  One of my first crushes.  You always have great avatars, @Cupid Stunt, and you obviously have excellent and eclectic taste in music.  I don't know all of the artists you mention (e.g. Avicii, some of the country artists), but the ones I do know are ones I'm usually crazy for.  That makes me want to check out the ones I don't know.  Also, great advice for Petunia, particularly that last point.  Sincerety is the best quality in a salesperson, imo.  

@Cupid Stunt, I love David Bowie so much so, I cried for a very long time.

Wild is the Wind is my all time favourite song by Bowie.  I saw him in concert several times, from 1975 onwards for the next several decades, and he never played it, even though I kept waiting for it.  I think it was not a popular song for his fans.

It made me happy to see it as your avatar.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Good job, Petunia! Cold calls demand research and nerves of steel by the sales person. Sharpen your skills on these experiences, it may be the only good thing you take away from this job. 

Prince's original recording of Nothing Compares 2 U, with previously unseen rehearsal footage

June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016

I cannot give this enough likes!  Thank you @Cupid Stunt

• Love 5

I love the Thin White Duke, too.  

Give the musicians you're not familiar with a spin. Music is an excellent form of travel.

Thank you, Spaporaz. I had two women who took me under their wing at my first job out of college, and they gave me a crash course in Clear Your Own Path.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I love the Thin White Duke, too.  

Give the musicians you're not familiar with a spin. Music is an excellent form of travel.

Thank you, Spaporaz. I had two women who took me under their wing at my first job out of college, and they gave me a crash course in Clear Your Own Path.

Oh, yes, so many Bowie songs.  It's when music is the sound play of your life.  

Speaking of which, when I was young and studying abroad, Supertramp was the sound play of my life.  Not that I am a fan, but whenever I hear Supertramp it takes me right back there.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, bannana said:

@Cupid Stunt, I love David Bowie so much so, I cried for a very long time.

Wild is the Wind is my all time favourite song by Bowie.  I saw him in concert several times, from 1975 onwards for the next several decades, and he never played it, even though I kept waiting for it.  I think it was not a popular song for his fans.

It made me happy to see it as your avatar.

; )

I've been emotional all week. I put on "Blackstar," and had a good cry in the bathroom.

My sister doesn't think she'll be accepted in the clinical study. The anniversary of Prince's death and the Carver County Attorney's findings, Avicii and Randy Scruggs dying, I have the sadz. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

; )

I've been emotional all week. I put on "Blackstar," and had a good cry in the bathroom.

My sister doesn't think she'll be accepted in the clinical study. The anniversary of Prince's death and the Carver County Attorney's findings, Avicii and Randy Scruggs dying, I have the sadz. 

@Cupid Stunt, than you for reminding me about Blackstar.  

I understand the sadz.  Wishing the best for your sister.

• Love 7

(((bannana)))

Today is a better day.

My family saw my suffering and comforted me.

Bea went into the clinical study with few expectations after years of medical dead ends. She said even if she's not a good prospect for the study, maybe her participation will help the research. She's the stoic, levelheaded one in the middle of any dust-up -- Very Zen is our Bea.

Have a great Earth Day!

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.  

Edited by Cupid Stunt
Stupid auto-correct! It's bannana, not banana.
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, boes said:

I just saw the news report about the van attack in Toronto.  

I hope everyone is safe.   There really are no appropriate words.

9 dead and 16 injured. It's truly heartbreaking.

• Love 7

Police haven’t released a motive yet. The suspect is 25, and a resident of Richmond Hill, just north of Toronto. Video of the takedown showed him shouting that he had a gun in his pocket, but the officer made the arrest without firing any shots.

• Love 5

I texted a friend of mine in Toronto when I heard. Thankfully, she is fine and wasn't in the area. So scary, though, and beyond tragic. 

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 7

I got rid of an elaborate and very confusing dress code in favor of a simplified pictorial workbook with a yearly mandated HR meeting for all employees. Normally, dress code policies are written because we'd die of embarrassment having to talk to an employee face-to-face about his or her excessively club-by or beach-y attire. Whatever ... Sticky human topics are part of my job. I pick this time of year because the employees can turn into a bunch of Left Coast slobs in hot weather, and need to be reminded the office is a place of business and not a surf shop.

My main tactic is to be respectful of circumstances I'm not aware of, and to gently advise, "If you're on the fence about whether or not to wear a particular ensemble or article of clothing, err on the side of caution and don't wear it to work. Let's look at the workbook pictures."

Sometimes it's hard for a people to let go of their message tee shirts. I'm a Bob Marley fan, but the tie dye pot leaves are overkill. The yearly flip flop/sandal/peeptoe shoe discussion makes me want to down a fifth at 10AM.

• Love 7