Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I was at my parents' house today, @jewel21, and my mom has this Catholic calendar in her kitchen.  I was looking at it and saw that it lists whatever saint's feast is on that particular day.  January 12th, the day after sweet little Marguerite passed away, was the feast day of St. Marguerite Bourgeoys.  I looked her up and learned that she was the founder of the Congregation of Notre Dame of Montreal!  

I have a feeling St. Marguerite is playing with a new kitten and showing her around.

• Love 14

Well, I have not posted in this small talk forum at all.  I am here, I post my comments on Y and R, etc.  But that is it.

Today I was fired.  It was not unexpected.  I actually have/had a very senior job in an international company.

My boss is a psychopath.  I have been there 15 years.  Before that I had a career as as a CEO and Exec Director for 20 years.

I knew he was coming after me, and today the deed was done.  It's kind of tough even when you expect it.

I am not even sure why I am posting this here.  I am not looking for sympathy at all.  I am just kind of stunned.

• Love 17

oh banana, i am so sorry to hear that...

i have always believed "when one door closes, another one opens"...

crap vindictive bosses are the pits...

LOL a lil tidbit to relate.

my daughter is a parts manager at a chevrolet dealership here on the island.  she has been at this job for going on 2 years now.

last year, she earned "rewards points" from general motors based on her overall operation of the dept.  how much money dept made, how many returns did they have etc.  she was rated at silver.  this year, she found out she will be rated at gold.

when she worked at the gm dealership over on the mainland, she worked for a couple of months as the interim parts manager cause the one they had quit.  greg decided it would be best to have a male manager instead of female so teri was demoted to counter sales.  she was also blamed for everything that went wrong in dept or any squabbles between techs and parts.  anywho, to make a long story short, for someone who was deemed not good enough, she is now one of the best.. take that greg.

• Love 12

Banana, I am so sorry. Even when you know it's coming, it's still a dagger to the heart. 

I had an amazing, rewarding career until a malignant, abusive narcissist took over at my last workplace. It wasn't a high paying career, but it made me so happy. The staff blew the whistle when the abuse became unbearable. I got the blame and the pink slip under the guise of budget concerns. My near two decades of experience and I were sent packing over people with no relevant background. Now I have three jobs and manage to barely cover my expenses. The work doesn't seem useful or meaningful, save for maybe the pet sitting. 

Okay, that was depressing. If you don't want sympathy, just know some of us have walked in those shoes, and as it turns out there was a pebble in them. And they rub your ankles raw. It sucks. It's hard, even though it's it true, to wrap your head around the fact that it really isn't your fault that you got run through the buzzsaw of someone's personality disorder. It's enraging to watch disturbed people get rewarded for their predatory behavior while you work hard and play fair and get the shaft for your reward. You deserve better. 

It's not much, but we appreciate fresh fruit around here. ?

• Love 13

Geez, @bannana. I'm so sorry. And you too @NinjaPenguins. Why do psychopaths exist????? I know on some level you both are being spared by being freed from these assholes but I also know the sting of being turfed.

I know you're not looking for sympathy, but this board -- this thread -- has offered me some astonishing emotional support when I needed it. There are many parts of who you are. Your career is one huge important part. But I think this board and its funny little subject (a pretty bad soap opera) is a reminder of how varied and fascinating we all are. And how limitless. :)

• Love 14
2 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

oh banana, i am so sorry to hear that...

i have always believed "when one door closes, another one opens"...

crap vindictive bosses are the pits...

LOL a lil tidbit to relate.

my daughter is a parts manager at a chevrolet dealership here on the island.  she has been at this job for going on 2 years now.

last year, she earned "rewards points" from general motors based on her overall operation of the dept.  how much money dept made, how many returns did they have etc.  she was rated at silver.  this year, she found out she will be rated at gold.

when she worked at the gm dealership over on the mainland, she worked for a couple of months as the interim parts manager cause the one they had quit.  greg decided it would be best to have a male manager instead of female so teri was demoted to counter sales.  she was also blamed for everything that went wrong in dept or any squabbles between techs and parts.  anywho, to make a long story short, for someone who was deemed not good enough, she is now one of the best.. take that greg.

I used to work for MINI, and I can tell you the car business is still very much a boys' club. I'm glad your daughter got something much better, however.

and I'm sorry for Bannana :(

• Love 12

Thanks, preverts.  You do make me laugh and that is a great solace.

It's going to take some time to get this out of my system.  The way he terminated me, and the things I have heard he is saying, it's all so insulting.  Luckily, everyone there loves me and hates him.

I know, from your posts, and from family, friends and colleagues that in the end, it will be better for me to not be in the oppressive situation I was in.  I just would rather he got axed instead!

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, bannana said:

It's going to take some time to get this out of my system.  The way he terminated me, and the things I have heard he is saying, it's all so insulting.  Luckily, everyone there loves me and hates him.

I know, from your posts, and from family, friends and colleagues that in the end, it will be better for me to not be in the oppressive situation I was in.  I just would rather he got axed instead!

That's a tough break bannana, but from what I've seen here from you, you will find something else in no time. And I bet it will be a lot better than where you were.

• Love 8

I worked for a mean bastard. He's the one that gave me my handle. He was *cough* something to behold in full harangue.

Knowing I wasn't the incompetent he screamed at, I did exactly what he ordered me to do, documenting the insults, diatribes and verbal attacks. When he pursued a more powerful management position, a division HR rep poked around the serfs quarters to interview them. Many said little or nothing that could be used against them at a later date. I handed over copies of confirmed incidents (that had already been sent to corporate HR and buried) and twenty tapes of his frothing, swearing attacks during recording sessions with a studio of techs and engineers.

It took an additional 4 month world war, but his contract ended and he moved on to work at a movie studio -- Money, power, and money. Oh My!

Division management dusted itself off and moved up the ladder; the same people that supported him were given promotions to corporate. My conclusion of that experience was the most obvious, the most egregious bastards will be winnowed out with their letters of recommendation and comfortable exit packages intact, but the people that brought them along are cut from the same cloth and will be rewarded with more power -- They are reflections of those who sit at the top of the corporate structure. Not everyone in the hallowed halls are bastards, but those that are hand-picked and hand-fed for the most prestigious positions will emulate those at the top of the heap.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 11
49 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I worked for a mean bastard. He's the one that gave me my handle. He was *cough* something to behold in full harangue.

Knowing I wasn't the incompetent he screamed at, I did exactly what he ordered me to do, documenting the insults, diatribes and verbal attacks. When he pursued a more powerful management position, a division HR rep poked around the serfs quarters to interview them. Many said little or nothing that could be used against them at a later date. I handed over copies of confirmed incidents (that had already been sent to corporate HR and buried) and twenty tapes of his frothing, swearing attacks during recording sessions with a studio of techs and engineers.

It took an additional 4 month world war, but his contract ended and he moved on to work at a movie studio -- Money, power, and money. Oh My!

Division management dusted itself off and moved up the ladder; the same people that supported him were given promotions to corporate. My conclusion of that experience was the most obvious, the most egregious bastards will be winnowed out with their letters of recommendation and comfortable exit packages intact, but the people that brought them along are cut from the same cloth and will be rewarded with more power -- They are reflections of those who sit at the top of the corporate structure. Not everyone in the hallowed halls are bastards, but those that are hand-picked and hand-fed for the most prestigious positions will emulate those at the top of the heap.

And that, boys and girls is why we have a seventy year old toddler for president.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, bannana said:

Bannana, I'm so sorry.  Even when it's expected, it's still a jolt, still a gut punch, IMO because on some level part of us thinks undeserved shit will not come out way.  And then it does.   What I know for sure is that doing something better will come along and when it does you won't have to carry that quesy feeling that I bet you've been aware of for far too long.  

I'm just sorry you're having to go through this.

Bad bosses........I did staffing for a hospital - GREAT job, did it for 18 years.  We had a "Do Not Use" rolodex with the names of registry nurses who were so incompetent, even dangerous, that they were never to be used under any circumstances.

And then one day the President of the hospital brings in his new hire to be the Head of Nursing.  Bingo, you know the answer.    This "do not use" nurse not only ran the Nursing Dept., he eventually became a V.P.  

Edited by boes
  • Love 11
54 minutes ago, boes said:

Bannana, I'm so sorry.  Even when it's expected, it's still a jolt, still a gut punch, IMO because on some level part of us thinks undeserved shit will not come out way.  And then it does.   What I know for sure is that doing something better will come along and when it does you won't have to carry that quesy feeling that I bet you've been aware of for far too long.  

I'm just sorry you're having to go through this.

Bad bosses........I did staffing for a hospital - GREAT job, did it for 18 years.  We had a "Do Not Use" rolodex with the names of registry nurses who were so incompetent, even dangerous, that they were never to be used under any circumstances.

And then one day the President of the hospital brings in his new hire to be the Head of Nursing.  Bingo, you know the answer.    This "do not use" nurse not only ran the Nursing Dept., he eventually became a V.P.  

If you were never going to use the shitty nurses, why did you keep a rolodex with their names in it? Wouldn't it have been better to just make a list and keep it in a secured vault or something?

• Love 1

If boes's awful boss was anything like mine, he'd just ask for names of the worst nurses and then hire one. My narcissistic ninny replaced me with an incompetent, inexperienced dolt who had been fired from our workplace once already by the bigwig while ninny was serving her suspension. Said dolt had screamed abuse at our acting supervisor on her way out the door. Dolt can't use the workplace software, alphabetize, and is a poor reader. 

Bad bosses act far enough outside workplace norms that it tends to shock people still. While people are processing the abnormal behavior, bad boss is busy merrily steamrolling his/her staff. 

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

If you were never going to use the shitty nurses, why did you keep a rolodex with their names in it? Wouldn't it have been better to just make a list and keep it in a secured vault or something?

The registries were notorious for trying to slip in a banned nurse after a couple of months so we needed a quick way to know about one - all pre computer days, and the nurses would move from one registry to another so sometimes the registry really didn't know the history of who they were placing.

Plus, some of our supervisors weren't .....I'll just say, not too smart.....

Edited by boes
  • Love 5

bannana, the only time I was fired a couple of dickheads had it in for me.  They badmouthed me to our supervisor, a sort of middle manager himself.  He (we'll call him Tony because that was his name) gave me the ax.  I smiled at him and explained that just as the dickheads complained about me to him, they complained to me about him.  And I always defended him.  And by firing me, he was losing his only friend and ally.  And he was too stupid to realize it.  Many heads proceeded to roll.  Tony was somewhere in the middle in a pack of ten or so.  And finally the dickheads were fired about a year later.  So many people's lives were upended.  So many families were adversely affected.  What a waste for a couple of dickheads who should have been the first ones out the door.  It sucks.  I feel for you.  Hang in there.

• Love 14

Banana, I know what it's like to work with a bunch of dickheads and be treated like shit and let go. It sucks and I'm sorry it happened to you. I was devastated when it happened to me and I thought it was the worst thing ever. And then I found an even better job, with nice people, where I did 1/10 of the work and got paid more for it. And I'm treated with respect. Give it time, it will happen to you as well. Now, when I have to go back to that shit place, I'm so happy I no longer work there and have to see those stank faces. Stay strong.

• Love 12
On 1/19/2017 at 8:44 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

Banana, I am so sorry. Even when you know it's coming, it's still a dagger to the heart. 

I had an amazing, rewarding career until a malignant, abusive narcissist took over at my last workplace. It wasn't a high paying career, but it made me so happy. The staff blew the whistle when the abuse became unbearable. I got the blame and the pink slip under the guise of budget concerns. My near two decades of experience and I were sent packing over people with no relevant background. Now I have three jobs and manage to barely cover my expenses. The work doesn't seem useful or meaningful, save for maybe the pet sitting. 

Okay, that was depressing. If you don't want sympathy, just know some of us have walked in those shoes, and as it turns out there was a pebble in them. And they rub your ankles raw. It sucks. It's hard, even though it's it true, to wrap your head around the fact that it really isn't your fault that you got run through the buzzsaw of someone's personality disorder. It's enraging to watch disturbed people get rewarded for their predatory behavior while you work hard and play fair and get the shaft for your reward. You deserve better. 

It's not much, but we appreciate fresh fruit around here. ?

Well said ?? Thank you for posting this. 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

The new president makes Victor Newman look classy and virtuous. He makes Nick Newman look smart. Finally, he makes Billy Abbott as portrayed by JT look desirable and sexy. 

Let's not insult our first Cheeto American President on his first day in office, please.

;)

• Love 7

I am gonna toot my own horn. I have been walking a lot since I got my puppy last year.. and have lost 33 pounds :)  I am pretty pumped

And  I got a fitbit at Christmas and I am loving it.. anyone else have one?

• Love 10
2 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

The new president makes Victor Newman look classy and virtuous. He makes Nick Newman look smart. Finally, he makes Billy Abbott as portrayed by JT look desirable and sexy. 

He makes Lily and Summer look intelligent. He has less logic than Smelly Horse 

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, crosby777 said:

I am gonna toot my own horn. I have been walking a lot since I got my puppy last year.. and have lost 33 pounds :)  I am pretty pumped

Dexter was still just a baby the last time you posted a pic, how is your beautiful boy doing? 

• Love 4

Believe me, I'm not political in any sense, but...

I caught a few glimpses of Warlord Trump and The Kurva [someone on here's Polish--they'll explain], and frankly, the whole wingding defies description or satire.

Then, during his speech, he said something about protecting everyone from the dangers of both borders. Mmm hmm, Canadians are dangerous. Careful or we might just polite you or healthcare you to death.

Then, before changing channels, someone interviewed a group of bikers, who call themselves "Patriots." These fine gentlemen had ridden all the way from the west coast because, "Trump speaks for us, and we're the people." Okay. Whatever happened to the good ole days when these guys carried sawed-off pool cues?

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

O.M.G.   someone compared melanoma to jackie kennedy.....

that call girl will never be as gracious, or honoured as she was...

How do you compare a gold digging mail order bride to Jackie Kennedy?

Just now, MollyB said:

https://youtu.be/70hlxu4WCmM

My son sent me this.  This family plagiarizes pretty much everything.

That video has been deleted. Did cheeto dust steal his inauguration speech? 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

That video has been deleted. Did cheeto dust steal his inauguration speech? 

Wow.  Now I am seriously worried about everything.  The video shows Trump saying "..giving it back to you....the people" and then cuts to a clip from Batman where BANE says...well, the same. damn. thing.

There's still some good ones on YouTube.

Edited by MollyB
  • Love 5

i saw a video of the women's march in montreal....wow.... 1000's of women marching peacefully down laurier ave....

i was surprised the marches are happening all over the world.  even in nairobi, new zealand and norway..

wonder if it will do any good tho..:(

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

i saw a video of the women's march in montreal....wow.... 1000's of women marching peacefully down laurier ave....

i was surprised the marches are happening all over the world.  even in nairobi, new zealand and norway..

wonder if it will do any good tho..:(

Ask the suffragettes.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

ok plt, i am humbled at your post..

I'm sorry but I've seen so much of that today. We must make our voices heard, do not despair!

Hold your ground! Hold your ground!

Women of the world, my sisters and brothers,

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of humanity fails,

when we forsake our friends

and break all bonds of fellowship,

but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields,

when the age of decency and honor comes crashing down,

but it is not this day!

This day we fight!!

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth,

I bid you stand, Women of the West!!!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 8