Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: And The Infernal Contract

An old friend of Baird's is running for Mayor of a small New Hampshire town and finds himself embroiled in a scandal in the form of a missing intern and a literal contract with the Devil. Baird soon finds herself in a battle not only for her own soul, but also for the souls of all the Librarians.

After I stopped swooning over Eve in her tight jeans, the guest casting was excellent. There was a show, "The Collector" that was about people who made deals with the devil and had to pay up. I really liked that show, so this was an interesting premise for this episode. I would have liked a smidge more of Eve and Sam character development, but they both did a good job. Jenkins in the field was fun, and I really liked that the show got into what the guardian actually does.

CK looks good in a vest.

MIchael Trucco, who played Sam Denning in this episode, previously played a character named Tom Demming on Castle and a character named Sam Anders on Battlestar Galactica.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

I enjoyed it. It was good to get Baird who has her job for a reason.

I did think the exchange between the two characters they're having trouble selling about how anyone Baird trusts is clearly trustworthy and a good person was a little piece of clumsy special pleading on the part of the writers.

Baird is my favorite character so I tend to like her episodes. This has its clumsy moments like Sam's motives for signing the contract were iffy at best but whatever. I enjoyed the teams interactions which is why I watch the show so j will hand wave questonable motives for secondary characters.

• Love 2

It felt like half an episode. Not like half of a two-parter, but as if half was cut out or it was an outline that wasn't fully fleshed out.

I felt like that too--like it ended too fast.  For some reason I was expecting something else to happen after they were recuperating on the cots and Eve and Jenkins were talking but then the credits rolled and took me by surprise.  Then I started to wonder if, when fast-forwarding through the commercials, I accidentally missed some show, but I went back and nothing was skipped. Weird.  But I liked it and I'm sad there aren't too many more episodes left.  (3, I think?  Or 4?)

• Love 1
This has its clumsy moments like Sam's motives for signing the contract were iffy at best

We needed to see the devil's salesmanship more at that point -- really dangling all the good Sam could accomplish without mentioning the inevitable cost.  Also, we needed better stakes for Sam's frustration with the Keating regime to justify his desperation.  I wonder if there was a scene with Sam at a rally with his supporters that got cut for time.

Jenkins and Cassandra are adorable together.

• Love 1

Asides from the BSG and Castle Easter eggs (great catch on the combined names tv echo), we also had a ST:TNG reunion with John DeLancie as Lucifer and Jonathan Frakes directing the episode. If only they could have gotten Wil Wheaton for the trifecta (and he appeared in at least 3 episodes of Leverage, where Frakes directed a number of episodes and John Rogers was in charge).

It was fun to see Jenkins in the field. More screen time for JL is a very good thing.

• Love 2

I kind of took it that Sam had some mild PTSD and since returning home, he "needed to be a hero." Lots of vets have a hard time fitting back in, so his ease at signing the contract wasn't a big deal from that pov for me. 

• Love 1

I think I understand what happened, but maybe someone can make it more clear for me. By wishing Contract Executive to be human, he is no longer able to collect souls so, the contract is pretty much useless as Baird's soul is no longer at risk? And if the Contract Executive tries to reverse being human, he will be in breach of contract and it again will be null and void? Baird was a little quick on her explanation.

^^^^ I believe you've got it. Also, Jenkins is going to drop the contract down a deep, dark hole so no one can sign it over, I think. I do wonder what will happen when Cecilman's mortal life comes to a close. Will the contract just go POOF?

When I saw that John de Lancie was going to guest star, I expected him to have more to do. I would've liked more sparring between between him and Jenkins or ven for the story to have been more of a face-off between them. I didn't hate the episode, it just felt like pieces were missing and that some opportunities were missed..

I liked the use of "oscail an doras" to break the druid spell. :) ("open the door" in Irish)

The episode did seem kinda choppy - I think the little moment between Jenkins and Baird at the end saved it for me. I liked finding out that Jenkins is a nurturer, and they've really been trotting out the immortal thing a lot lately, usually in passing but this time as a plot point..

Based on what Jenkins said, why is it at all acceptable for the Librarian to be off tracking down who knows what artifacts by himself? If Baird is going to stay behind with the apprentices, they should have hired a second person to come and go with Flynn. The writers could even make how to do the job a point of contention between that person and Baird.

They should have picked some other hazard than gas. Gas is invisible and you don't see anything when you open up a line (that's why they mix in something you can smell). Doing a steam effect just looked dumb.

John De Lancie is certainly a great choice as any to play a version of The Devil.  Wished they had more of him (kind of wanted him to be a recurring villain with Prospero and Moriarty), but it was still fun.

The episode was entertaining, but it did feel like a lot of stuff was chopped out or something, because it felt like stuff happened, that didn't get enough build-up.  Especially Michael Trucco's character falling into temptation over the contract.  Would have rather they spent a bit more on how he was getting desperate, because it felt a bit random the way things planned out.  Especially him socking Bard for it.  Sure, she returned the favor, but that was still pretty bad on his part, to say the least.

I do enjoy it when the three Librarians have to work among themselves, and there is a loyalty between them, despite the bickering and arguing.

Jenkins getting involved is an added plus too.

• Love 1

One thing I like about this show is how they're using Jenkins. They use him being immortal to help save the day. Earlier

in this season when he was with Prospero and Moriarty, he rattled off many things that's he's had happened to him to

make his point that torturing him would be a waste of time. It makes sense with who he is and how long he's been

alive it wouldn't work. But many shows would forget that even if just for an episode for sake of plot. I also liked his

comment on when talking about where one goes when they die.

My favorite episode this season. Jenkins in the field, Cassandra dressing her age, Ezekiel getting a moment of character development, Michael Trucco and John de Lancie. The later's last scene where you hear him complaining about hurting in places he didn't know could hurt reminded me of Q's outrage/confusion in the episode where the Continuum had turned him human as a punishment.

My only complaint: I wanted to see the team tasting the chupacabra jerky (and Stone getting all enthusiastic about cooking reminded me of Eliot Spencer).

My only complaint: I wanted to see the team tasting the chupacabra jerky (and Stone getting all enthusiastic about cooking reminded me of Eliot Spencer).

I thought Stone was gnawing on a piece of jerky while he was recuperating on the cot at the end?