Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Truth or Dare/S02.E21: A Dance to Remember/S02.22: Whitney Takes on LA

• Start Topic

A party game goes awry in a hurry, especially for Buddy and Lennie. Meanwhile, Whitney realizes that her weight gain is limiting her potential as a dancer.

A milestone performance at the National Museum of Dance is coming up, but Whitney is still unsure about her routine, and a big surprise throws her stressful day even more out of whack.

Whitney gives to Los Angeles for an event to honor a man who was fat-shamed on the Internet but became an overnight sensation in the process. Later, Whitney comes home to bad news about her health.

I don't understand the order of these episodes as well.  Was last night the season finale?

I skipped the 2-hour live special, was a lot of this stuff in that?

That was 2 weeks ago I think.  Yeah Whit got a tattoo and everyone was brought up on stage to talk about the show....some other stuff happened but I don't remember what

I still am not sure what that CA trip was all about..who paid for her and her friend to go out there and dance? Surely not that man it was for, as he didn't look wealthy. Seems like if they paid their own way, the other friend could have gone along too. The dancing was so disorganized, one more person surely wouldn't have been noticed.Maybe TLC paid? I bet whoever paid, paid for two seats for Whitney on that plane, as no way could someone have fit in that seat beside her. I hated that that so called  doctor was praising her for doing such a great job..and said she was still seeing a nutritionist, etc..no way is she doing a single thing to lose weight. Just what was she praising her for...for weighing 400 pounds and still being able to walk maybe?

• Love 3

I was tired of Whitney complaining. “ Plane isn’t fat girl friendly. Bus stairs isn’t fat girl friendly. Do you see fat people? There are no fat people. “  Please girl. It’s L.A. Sorry. Not sorry. I agree with above poster that TLC paid for the seat beside her to be empty. Otherwise the person would have complained. Her BFF sympathizing about her situation? Sorry buddy, it's not all the PCOS fault.
Kudos to the guy who lost that weight and posted the video about the excess skin. Now he is someone TLC should do a show about!  He was humble. He was someone who exemplified what positive body image should be about. Not Whit.
Was the whole I love you thing plot contrived by TLC?  Felt forced. I still don't get the attraction to Lennie except she may just be desperate for a boyfriend and I don't think Lennie is fully attracted to her.
She only lost like what? 15 pounds in how many months? The doctor actually praised her?  Crappy doctor. You don't lose on my doctor's program he actually chews you out about it.  This girl needs someone like Dr. Now  STAT!
Other than that. Hopefully she is done and there is no season 3.

• Love 2

Whitney actually bothered me less than usual in the finale. I was glad she lost a few pounds and got her A1C a bit lower. But the "this isn't fat-girl friendly" thing is annoying. There is normal fat, and there is Whitney fat. I'd say you can be up to about 300 lb without it being such a massive intrusion, but Whitney got herself to this point, so no sense in constantly complaining about it. I hope she continues to do something productive about it in the off-season. 

She really is an awful dancer, bless her heart. It is great that she enjoys it so much, but if she does want to improve she needs to start paying attention to details.

• Love 2

Glad I am not the only one! My Tivo had all of them last night marked as new.

I think they are marked as new because when they are shown again, they are the supersized episodes with the podcast and deleted scenes.

I don't buy the drama about the plane seat... I'm guessing either TLC bought the seat, or they knew it would be empty. Why would Whitney or Tal leave a seat between them and hope it doesn't get sold? I have never met anyone who purchases the middle seat without the window and aisle being taken or sitting by a friend. When my sister and I fly together she usually will take one for the team and take the middle seat because I get motion sick if I'm not by the window.

Eta: oops sorry I skimmed over someone already making this point.

• Love 1

I would be that girl that would complain bitterly if I was seated next to whitney.  as far as I'm concerned, I pay for one seat and the person next to me pays for one seat.  I didn't pay for 1/2 a seat, or a 1/4 of a seat, and the person next to me didn't pay for 1 and 1/2 seats or 1 and 3/4 seats.  I will insist on the armrest coming down, and if it can't than we have a problem.  Maybe they flew Southwest and they knew that no one would pick a seat next to Whitney so the middle seat would remain empty.  But I think Southwest is pretty strict about charging people Whitney's size for two seats.

I like how the world is supposed to be fat and fat girl friendly so that Whitney feels comfortable....because you know that is the biggest consideration in life.

• Love 6

After this string of episodes, I'm firmly in the hate-watching camp for this show.

Did I hear her say "I knew that eventually I'd run into something I couldn't do."?  Eventually?  Bitch, this whole series has been about things you can't do.

And then she acts like going to get an A1C test was like going to get biopsy results from an oncologist.  I loved when that Sean guy was all "Oh diabetes?  Yeah, I was diagnosed with that 3 years ago.  I just take medication to control it.  Ho Hum."

And, btw, I think the finale conclusively confirmed that Whitney is not taking any medication for her PCOS.  Her doctor said that she'd lowered her A1C with "diet and exercise alone."  However, one of the front-line treatments would be Metformin, which would also assist with pre-diabetes.  

Whitney, there has never been a group of people in an L.A. nightclub who could be described as "authentic."

• Love 8

It annoyed me when Tal was saying, "I never realized how I take things like sitting in an airplane seat for granted."  That is something we are supposed to take for granted!  I think Whitney takes having doting parents who still love each other for granted, which normal people can't always do, but we don't hear anything about that!

• Love 2

I like Whitney and I believe the doctor was real who gave her the current A1C results.  I think her motives are good; and sure, she wants to make a business from the "No Body Shame Campaign".  So what?  Look at "The Biggest Loser" franchise and all of the products that bear their name.  Many health-related organizations have a paid body of employees, including some breast-cancer campaigns and animal-rights campaigns, etc.  Someone started those "businesses" too.  I see nothing wrong with Whitney benefitting from her own campaign.  No one is forced to endorse this campaign, you know?

I understand hate-watching, schadenfreude, and all that.  But I like facts.  Lennie is not a paid actor.  He is her boyfriend, as he shows on his Facebook page, includimg some very adorable pictures of the two of them together.  Looking at his life (his past, his painting, etc etc) he seems to be a gentle soul who appreciates Whitney's idiosyncrasies and her personality and upbeat attitude, etc. 

I guess that's all I have to say for now.  :)

• Love 5

I like Whitney and I believe the doctor was real who gave her the current A1C results.  I think her motives are good; and sure, she wants to make a business from the "No Body Shame Campaign".  So what?  Look at "The Biggest Loser" franchise and all of the products that bear their name.  Many health-related organizations have a paid body of employees, including some breast-cancer campaigns and animal-rights campaigns, etc.  Someone started those "businesses" too.  I see nothing wrong with Whitney benefitting from her own campaign.  No one is forced to endorse this campaign, you know?

I understand hate-watching, schadenfreude, and all that.  But I like facts.  Lennie is not a paid actor.  He is her boyfriend, as he shows on his Facebook page, includimg some very adorable pictures of the two of them together.  Looking at his life (his past, his painting, etc etc) he seems to be a gentle soul who appreciates Whitney's idiosyncrasies and her personality and upbeat attitude, etc. 

I guess that's all I have to say for now.  :)

If she wants to be "no body shame" than she should stop working double time to convince the world that her weight isn't her fault.  

If the point is to not shame someone for their body, it shouldn't matter how she got to her size, the point should be not the shame her for it.  But she spends massive amounts of time on the show reminding us all that her fat isn't her fault.  When she gets to trying to justify the reason she is fat, it implies that those that don't have a reason....like Whitney does.....can be judged.

The only person that shouldn't be judged....is Whitney......and this is why I find her motives fake.  She is only out for people to accept her, and for people not to judge her.  

If the point is not to shame someone for their body, there really shouldn't be any discussion of Whitney's medical issues at all....because medical conditions shouldn't matter.  The only thing that should matter is not being shamed for your body, no matter how your body got into the condition its in.

• Love 2

If she wants to be "no body shame" than she should stop working double time to convince the world that her weight isn't her fault.  

If the point is to not shame someone for their body, it shouldn't matter how she got to her size, the point should be not the shame her for it.  But she spends massive amounts of time on the show reminding us all that her fat isn't her fault.  When she gets to trying to justify the reason she is fat, it implies that those that don't have a reason....like Whitney does.....can be judged.

The only person that shouldn't be judged....is Whitney......and this is why I find her motives fake.  She is only out for people to accept her, and for people not to judge her.  

If the point is not to shame someone for their body, there really shouldn't be any discussion of Whitney's medical issues at all....because medical conditions shouldn't matter.  The only thing that should matter is not being shamed for your body, no matter how your body got into the condition its in.

I don't disagree with you, but the show is called "My (Whitney's) Big Fat Fabulous Life" so the details of her life are included.  I do agree that she mentions PCOS quite a bit, but I believe she acknowledges that PCOS alone is not what caused her to get to 400 lbs.  It started her weight gain, but then the rest is her.  Now she's doing something about it.  When you see current pictures of her, you can see the weight loss, which I hope she keeps up with.

Her message about No Body Shame is all about not making *anyone* feel ashamed of their body, no matter what's "wrong" with it. She's not making excuses for all obese people; in fact there are the "Body Pos" people who at first didn't like the fact that she was trying to lose weight.  She emphasized that for HER, her current weight is not comfortable, there are still things that her current body size doesn't allow her to do that she wants to do; and that she's starting to pay attention to her long-term health re; diabetes. 

She went down quite a few points on the A1C blood sugar scale and I know from experience with my husband that lowering that A1C is not always as easy as it seems it should be.  That alone shows that she IS making changes in her life, even if we're not being shown that all the time on each episode.

Edited by ShowsILoveToHate
  • Love 3

I don't disagree with you, but the show is called "My (Whitney's) Big Fat Fabulous Life" so the details of her life are included.  I do agree that she mentions PCOS quite a bit, but I believe she acknowledges that PCOS alone is not what caused her to get to 400 lbs.  It started her weight gain, but then the rest is her.  Now she's doing something about it.  When you see current pictures of her, you can see the weight loss, which I hope she keeps up with.

Her message about No Body Shame is all about not making *anyone* feel ashamed of their body, no matter what's "wrong" with it. She's not making excuses for all obese people; in fact there are the "Body Pos" people who at first didn't like the fact that she was trying to lose weight.  She emphasized that for HER, her current weight is not comfortable, there are still things that her current body size doesn't allow her to do that she wants to do; and that she's starting to pay attention to her long-term health re; diabetes. 

She went down quite a few points on the A1C blood sugar scale and I know from experience with my husband that lowering that A1C is not always as easy as it seems it should be.  That alone shows that she IS making changes in her life, even if we're not being shown that all the time on each episode.

See, I think the words she says are "I'm responsible for my weight loss" but then there is always a qualifier "I'm responsible for my weight loss but [insert reason why Whitney isn't really responsible for her weight loss]"  Its never just quite "I did this to myself", its always "I did this to myself but here are all the reasons why I didn't really do this to myself and its not my fault"

The details of why she gained weight shouldn't be an issue if what she is about is no body shaming.  There shouldn't be any excuses at all if the message is no body shaming, because the reasons why a person has the body they do doesn't matter.  You simply shouldn't be shaming them for it.  And the why she gained weight shouldn't matter, because the message should be that she shouldn't be shamed whether she gained weight because of awful habits, or for health reasons.  But for her, its not about "no Body Shaming" its about specifically not shaming Whitney, which is why she gives us the many, many, many reasons why her weight isn't her fault.

I have diabetes, and frankly, I know exactly how to lower my A1C.  I simply find that doing those things aren't worth it for me.  Its not a great medical mystery.  As someone once said....its simple, but its not easy.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

See, I think the words she says are "I'm responsible for my weight loss" but then there is always a qualifier "I'm responsible for my weight loss but [insert reason why Whitney isn't really responsible for her weight loss]"  Its never just quite "I did this to myself", its always "I did this to myself but here are all the reasons why I didn't really do this to myself and its not my fault"

The details of why she gained weight shouldn't be an issue if what she is about is no body shaming.  There shouldn't be any excuses at all if the message is no body shaming, because the reasons why a person has the body they do doesn't matter.  You simply shouldn't be shaming them for it.  And the why she gained weight shouldn't matter, because the message should be that she shouldn't be shamed whether she gained weight because of awful habits, or for health reasons.  But for her, its not about "no Body Shaming" its about specifically not shaming Whitney, which is why she gives us the many, many, many reasons why her weight isn't her fault.

I would agree with you if Whitney were not all about improving her life, which she is.  If she just sat around doing nothing to improve herself and not taking responsibility for her life then maybe I'd agree, but that's not the case as far as I can see.  I personally think it's a minor point that keeps getting driven home because there isn't really much to hate about this woman, other than her slobbishness, TMI episodes, special snowflake attitude and braying donkey laugh.  I might also agree with you if she didn't completely affirm no body shame for any large size person no matter how they got there, or any person for any reason.   But she does.

• Love 3

I would agree with you if Whitney were not all about improving her life, which she is.  If she just sat around doing nothing to improve herself and not taking responsibility for her life then maybe I'd agree, but that's not the case as far as I can see.  I personally think it's a minor point that keeps getting driven home because there isn't really much to hate about this woman, other than her slobbishness, TMI episodes, special snowflake attitude and braying donkey laugh.  I might also agree with you if she didn't completely affirm no body shame for any large size person no matter how they got there, or any person for any reason.   But she does.

But she really doesn't affirm no body shame for any person.  By constantly giving reasons for her weight gain she is implying that she should not be body shamed because she has a medical excuse and a valid reason for being as big as she is.  Therefore, people who do not have a valid medical excuse are different than her and are open to judgment. 

I would have more respect for her if her message was simply "I'm fat, don't shame me for my body" because that more comports with the no body shaming campaign.  But by giving reasons why her weight isn't her fault, she essentially sets up a two tiered system.  One for people who have a medical excuse, and one for those who do not.  And this is because Whitney's message is not about the world at large, Whitney's message is about not judging her.  

No body shaming should not be about taking responsibility, because saying "no body shame" is saying that your body is nothing to be ashamed of and therefore you don't need to take responsibility or accountability for it.  No matter how fat it is.

I get annoyed by the hypocrisy and the transparency of it all.  To me, its clear that Whitney's message is not about the world or about empowering anyone.  Its about Whitney being constantly told that she is a super special snowflake and about Whitney not being judged.  I think the no body shame movement is an interesting one, and as such it deserves a much better champion than Whitney.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

But she really doesn't affirm no body shame for any person.  By constantly giving reasons for her weight gain she is implying that she should not be body shamed because she has a medical excuse and a valid reason for being as big as she is.  Therefore, people who do not have a valid medical excuse are different than her and are open to judgment. 

I would have more respect for her if her message was simply "I'm fat, don't shame me for my body" because that more comports with the no body shaming campaign.  But by giving reasons why her weight isn't her fault, she essentially sets up a two tiered system.  One for people who have a medical excuse, and one for those who do not.  And this is because Whitney's message is not about the world at large, Whitney's message is about not judging her.  

No body shaming should not be about taking responsibility, because saying "no body shame" is saying that your body is nothing to be ashamed of and therefore you don't need to take responsibility or accountability for it.  No matter how fat it is.

I get annoyed by the hypocrisy and the transparency of it all.  To me, its clear that Whitney's message is not about the world or about empowering anyone.  Its about Whitney being constantly told that she is a super special snowflake and about Whitney not being judged.  I think the no body shame movement is an interesting one, and as such it deserves a much better champion than Whitney.

I have not gotten that message or implication from her at all.  The qualifier to me comes off as, "Well, I first gained weight because of PCOS, but it doesn't really matter how or why one gains weight they don't deserve to be body shamed".  Is Whitney a "special snowflake"?  Yes.  Does she love attention?  Yes.  Is she all in this for herself?  In my opinion, emphatically no.  I think I know what a narcissist looks like very intimately, and she is not it.  Besides, she has said over and over again that she takes responsibility for her weight gain beyond a certain point, especially in her "podcast editions".  Plus I think that she is trying to bring awareness to the public about conditions like PCOS to show them that it's not always because of overeating that someone can gain weight.  And I think that's a valid point to make and not one that inherently implies that fat people without such conditions are to be blamed for their weight.  The "No Body Shame" video on YouTube makes that point very clear because in it she goes on about how one doesn't know the reasons why someone is heavy by looking at them.  Sometimes it's because of emotional hurt in reaction to abuse, stress, whatever - the point is that whatever the reasons are, they are valid and understandable if one scratches the surface (so in other words, just don't judge).  So forgive me but I really don't see the point you're trying to make.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

Why did Whitney think the party was partially for her & No Body Shame? She was just a large sized guest (with a cause). I realize she needs opportunities to promote NBS, but I really think she thought it was going to be the Sean & Whiney Show. Tal had to remind her when she was having her nervous breakdown on the bus that they were there to support Sean. Even during the flash mob dance, she thought everyone was only watching her. When she told Tal she messed up a few times, she acted like she was doing a solo not being part of a group. It looked like most of the crowd could have cared less about the flash mob dance. And what was with her whipping off her skirt to dance? I realize it was probably more comfortable but have some class Whitney. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sooooo tired of seeing Whitney's cleavages. I wish she would stop wearing the two sizes too small clingy tank tops (or at least wear a scarf to cover like she did). Every time she leans forward, we get to see much more of Whitney than we need to.

• Love 2

Question for anyone with a dance background, or at least more knowledge of dance than I have. Is a back roll really that impressive from a dance perspective? Whitney kept saying that when she "considered herself to be a dancer" (which is very interesting wording) that it was her signature move and very impressive. For me, who has no dance experience other than jr. high drill team/cheerleading and some recent Zumba classes, it doesn't look impressive to me at all. I am near 40 and can do a back roll. I'm not obese by any means, but seeing the video of Whitney doing a back roll years ago when she was thin didn't look impressive, either.

Whitney's performance and award from the Museum of Dance seemed very contrived and awkward. The way she was talking, I was expecting her to perform in a large auditorium with a crowd of people watching her. There were maybe a dozen or so people, including her coach, friend, parents and brother watching her performance in a glorified dance studio. She said she had no idea she was receiving an award, yet she awkwardly stood around waiting for something to happen after she was done dancing. I thought the whole thing was cringeworthy, especially the dancing.

• Love 5
I think her motives are good; and sure, she wants to make a business from the "No Body Shame Campaign".  So what?

Well, purely my opinion, but I think her "making a business" of NBS (or doing anything with is) is, well BS.  She treated "you should have a business plan" like an Oracle of Delphi.  She attends business meetings in striped tank tops and brings her mother along.  She prepares for a meeting with web-designers by coming up with nothing more than "eh, my website is kinda old."

IMO, NBS is no different than the various bullshit tchotchkes hawked by all of the Real Housewives who want to parlay and become the next Bethanny Frankel.

Why did Whitney think the party was partially for her & No Body Shame? She was just a large sized guest (with a cause).

Exactly!  She acted like she got some special invitation when it was probably nothing more than a "hey, we're having a get-together, you should come".  As far as I can tell, her only actual participation in the event was to mooch a couple of days' worth of free meals and dance with Sean.  And earlier she acted like the "flash mob" thing was something specifically to be choreographed and pulled-off by her.  As it played it, she was simply one of a group (who were all strangers to her, and probably to each other) who'd apparently been told to start dancing on cue.  Presumably someone sent her the choreography to learn.  Which is not the way she originally portrayed it.

And even once she got there she tried to act like it was some grand summit that she was specially invited to because of her "advocacy".  She was "invited" because she's on TV and it was a way to get another set of cameras there.

And, btw, asking someone to take their shirt off for a selfie is FUCKING VULGAR.  Let me try that with Kate Upton and see what happens.

Which also goes along with the Museum of Dance performance.  I don't know how legitimate that "invitation" was (or whether it was all arranged by TLC).  But I do know that the production team got their money's worth out of the zoom lenses on their cameras.  Because they worked hard to try to conceal the fact that there were only about 10 or 15 people there (and most of them were Whitney's family/friends and the rest, I'm guessing, were either from production or employees of the Museum).

The bottom line is that I see Whitney as a 30-year old, unemployed woman who still lives at home . . . and that's it.  I can't imagine that she earns enough money to contribute to the rent on that house.  Minor-League baseball teams run on shoestring budgets.  And I'm guessing that positions like Whitney's are a step above intern, pay-wise.  

She treats a trip to the doctor for an A1C test like she's about to get a fatal diagnosis.  

Her parents infantalize her.  And I think Glenn seems to have a good enough head on his shoulder that I'm guessing that, if he's doing it, she needs it. 

It would be one thing if this show documented Whitney's self-improvement (either physical or emotional).  But I really think Whitney sees this show as a means towards her self-improvement.  Because the way she talks in her confessionals (which I recognize have an element of giving-the-producers-what-she-thinks-they-want) is completely incongruent with what we see when she's filmed in real time.

• Love 4

I have not gotten that message or implication from her at all.  The qualifier to me comes off as, "Well, I first gained weight because of PCOS, but it doesn't really matter how or why one gains weight they don't deserve to be body shamed".  Is Whitney a "special snowflake"?  Yes.  Does she love attention?  Yes.  Is she all in this for herself?  In my opinion, emphatically no.  I think I know what a narcissist looks like very intimately, and she is not it.  Besides, she has said over and over again that she takes responsibility for her weight gain beyond a certain point, especially in her "podcast editions".  Plus I think that she is trying to bring awareness to the public about conditions like PCOS to show them that it's not always because of overeating that someone can gain weight.  And I think that's a valid point to make and not one that inherently implies that fat people without such conditions are to be blamed for their weight.  The "No Body Shame" video on YouTube makes that point very clear because in it she goes on about how one doesn't know the reasons why someone is heavy by looking at them.  Sometimes it's because of emotional hurt in reaction to abuse, stress, whatever - the point is that whatever the reasons are, they are valid and understandable if one scratches the surface (so in other words, just don't judge).  So forgive me but I really don't see the point you're trying to make.

But if the message is no body shame, the reason why the weight is gained should never be an issue.

When it is an issue than you have a two tiered system and you're no longer telling people -- don't judge anyone for their size, but essentially..."don't judge me for my size, because my size isn't my fault" which also says "you can judge that person over there, because they are different than me, and their size is their fault"  At best its "don't shame either of us....but if you gotta shame one of us, it really shouldn't be me, because my weight isn't really my fault."

If No Body Shame is the message, the reason shouldn't be a factor....ever.

If its all about "don't judge Whitney" than the reason is important.  And with Whitney there is always a reason "its my fault but...." mentality.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

Question for anyone with a dance background, or at least more knowledge of dance than I have. Is a back roll really that impressive from a dance perspective? Whitney kept saying that when she "considered herself to be a dancer" (which is very interesting wording) that it was her signature move and very impressive. For me, who has no dance experience other than jr. high drill team/cheerleading and some recent Zumba classes, it doesn't look impressive to me at all. I am near 40 and can do a back roll. I'm not obese by any means, but seeing the video of Whitney doing a back roll years ago when she was thin didn't look impressive, either.

Whitney's performance and award from the Museum of Dance seemed very contrived and awkward. The way she was talking, I was expecting her to perform in a large auditorium with a crowd of people watching her. There were maybe a dozen or so people, including her coach, friend, parents and brother watching her performance in a glorified dance studio. She said she had no idea she was receiving an award, yet she awkwardly stood around waiting for something to happen after she was done dancing. I thought the whole thing was cringeworthy, especially the dancing.

In one word, no. It's a pretty basic move intended to look impressive, but isn't hugely difficult. It's something that you can add to and that could change the difficulty level, such as going into it from a split position is a little more difficult because it everyone has the flexibility to pull all the way through a split (this is really hard to explain the without visual aids...lol). The thing about dance, especially in an audience where they aren't necessarily familiar with dance, the "crowd pleaser" moves are sometimes the simplest, I was on drill team in high school (I'm from Texas, what do you expect...lol) there was a move that we usually did in kick line that always got oooh's and ahhh's but for us it was actually kind of a mini break to give us a second to catch our breath...and vice versa, our hardest danced look simple because you just seemingly stand in line and kick (think like the rockettes, my team was known for "kicking our hats", it was common to have lipstick on my leg from where my leg hit my face) The high kick is actually a pretty difficult dance, a proper high kick takes a lot of technique, strength and stamina to do properly, when you are kicking for 2-3 minutes it's the same as running at a pretty high pace. I didn't mean to go on a tangent about the high kick, but my point is why that can look easy, within a dance we had a move where we would be hooked up (hands on eachothers shoulders in a straight line) and place our leg on the girl next to us' lower back and bow... And the crowd would go crazy but it was extremely simple.

Back to the roll I can see where it would be difficult at Whitneys size, it would be hard to get the momentum to smoothly get your legs above your head, but once you do that gravity takes over and brings them down on the other side, but with her weight it would be hard to control that weight coming down gracefully as it does require putting that weight on your shoulder for a second and the shoulder isn't necessarily intended to bear your whole weight.

And as I think about it, I'd be willing to bet that the whole car-being-towed was staged specifically so they could do the car wash and brag about "Big Girl Empowerment, Y'all!"

I barely saw Whitney doing any work. She was sitting with her parents and counting money. I'm also willing to bet that nearly all of the cars, and 95% of the money, were from friends and/or Glenn.

• Love 1

I'm going to comment here and I haven't really sat down and watched this week in its entirety.  I tried to "hate watch" this show and I just couldn't get past how embarassed and uncomfortable it made me feel so I had to shut it off.  So she is trying to promote NBS, but yet all we get treated to each week is how suck-ish it is to be fat.  As a former o-beast myself (as I used to call myself), I know the shame and embarassment of flying and really needing, but not admitting that you need, two seats.  If someone did get that seat next to her, that person would have been screwed.  Once again, she is reminding the American people that there is a really good reason why people are judged on the size of their body!

I think someone also mentioned in this thread that she currently looks like she lost weight.  I follow her on facebook, I don't see it, she looks just as big as she always looks.  All I see on her facebook page are thousands of positive comments and NO negative comments.  That's just as wrong as only getting comments from haters.  Why is TLC protecting her so much?  TLC let the negative and hateful comments about Penny in My 600lb Life fly.  (Holy Crap, I think I actually like Penny better than Whitney at this point, I NEED HELP!!! Somebody stop me!).

Sorry Whitney, Lenny just isn't that into you.

Whitney is Ruby, but with a TV show that is still on the air.

And as far as her not taking meds and fixing her issues with "diet and exercise"...honey, that ship has sailed!  You gave it the good 'ole "college try" but time to bring in the big guns.  Metformin?  At the very least!  There are a lot of great drugs on the market for pre-diabetis, my husband takes Victoza and it helped him lose 30 lbs.  She's just wasting time now.  Before she knows it, she's going to be 40 and not going to be able to walk!

• Love 6

I did find it extremely ironic that Whitney was so concerned about being all squished up next to someone on the plane. How does she think THEY would feel? They're the ones actually being crushed. Especially with the way she carries her weight, in her hips. 

• Love 2

I did find it extremely ironic that Whitney was so concerned about being all squished up next to someone on the plane. How does she think THEY would feel? They're the ones actually being crushed. Especially with the way she carries her weight, in her hips. 

That would require Whitney to think about someone else before her own feelings.  Does that sound at all like Whitney?  And if she had been sitting next to someone who complained, they would have been labelled a "hater" who was "shaming her for her body" instead of someone who simply wanted their entire seat, instead of 1/2 a seat.

• Love 5

But if the message is no body shame, the reason why the weight is gained should never be an issue.

When it is an issue than you have a two tiered system and you're no longer telling people -- don't judge anyone for their size, but essentially..."don't judge me for my size, because my size isn't my fault" which also says "you can judge that person over there, because they are different than me, and their size is their fault"  At best its "don't shame either of us....but if you gotta shame one of us, it really shouldn't be me, because my weight isn't really my fault."

If No Body Shame is the message, the reason shouldn't be a factor....ever.

If its all about "don't judge Whitney" than the reason is important.  And with Whitney there is always a reason "its my fault but...." mentality.

I think you're inferring that the implication is that she should not be blamed but others should.  That involves a bit of extra interpretation that in my opinion doesn't necessarily follow.  I don't think Whitney would intend to imply that others should be judged for any reason.  I think the only reason she brings up the PCOS is to show people that overeating is not the only reason people gain weight - And that is an issue, and one that I think should be brought up.  A lot of people assume that people are 100% responsible for their weight gain all the time, which is untrue.  Her way of presenting it may be misleading to some people but I'm sure if she were asked she would not agree that she is attempting to exclude herself from blame and imply that others are.  And I have no reason to doubt her intentions on that based on all the affirmation she does of people who are overweight, irrespective of why.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

Right!? Her friend traveling with her didn't even want to sit in the seat next to her; why would a stranger?

• Love 2

I think you're inferring that the implication is that she should not be blamed but others should.  That involves a bit of extra interpretation that in my opinion doesn't necessarily follow.  I don't think Whitney would intend to imply that others should be judged for any reason.  I think the only reason she brings up the PCOS is to show people that overeating is not the only reason people gain weight - And that is an issue, and one that I think should be brought up.  A lot of people assume that people are 100% responsible for their weight gain all the time, which is untrue.  Her way of presenting it may be misleading to some people but I'm sure if she were asked she would not agree that she is attempting to exclude herself from blame and imply that others are.  And I have no reason to doubt her intentions on that based on all the affirmation she does of people who are overweight, irrespective of why.

The reason for the weight shouldn't matter if the message is no body shaming.

And I think Whitney may or may not understand the implication, because Whitney's primary goal is that she not be judged.  So, if that means she gets no judgement by using the no body shame campaign + medical excuse....thats just fine with her.  I don't think she really cares one way or the other about anyone else.

Medical issues are another matter entirely.  If she wants to be the spokesperson for PCOS being the reason she gained weight, thats fine, thats not compatible with the "no body shaming" campaign, because that message should only be about not shaming a person no matter what their reason is for looking the way they do.  

But if, as many people on here have said, PCOS is responsible for maybe 30 additional pounds of weight, it is then responsible for a minuscule amount of her weight gain.  And as such it should be mentioned, at best, in passing, because that certainly is not the reason for the majority of her weight gain.  

A person who got burned as a child shouldn't be judged for their body, nor should the person that blew themselves up in a meth accident.  The person that got fat from a medical condition shouldn't be judged, the same way a person who got fat just because they lacked self control shouldn't be judged for their body.  Any excuse she gives for her weight gain just enforces the idea that there are certain reasons for weight gain that are acceptable, and other reasons that are not.  That does not comport with the "no body shame" campaign.  Thats more of a "well, if I have a medical reason don't judge me" message.

If no body shaming is the message, the reason for the body shouldn't matter.  But it does for Whitney, because her most important consideration is her getting acceptance and a pat on the back, and excuse from any judgment whatsoever.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

The reason for the weight shouldn't matter if the message is no body shaming.

And I think Whitney may or may not understand the implication, because Whitney's primary goal is that she not be judged.  So, if that means she gets no judgement by using the no body shame campaign + medical excuse....thats just fine with her.  I don't think she really cares one way or the other about anyone else.<snip>

If no body shaming is the message, the reason for the body shouldn't matter.  But it does for Whitney, because her most important consideration is her getting acceptance and a pat on the back, and excuse from any judgment whatsoever.  

But that's just the thing, no body shame is NOT the only message - The other message is don't judge fat people because you don't know the hidden reasons behind why they are heavy.  For her it happens to be PCOS - For others it may be child abuse, grief, other loss, whatever.  That's why she brings up the reasons.  To show that there are understandable reasons that may not be what people might assume - not just for her but for anyone who is obese.  She is not just including medical issues in those valid reasons, but emotional ones as well.  She has stated that many times in either her podcast edition or on YouTube.  It's not "all about Whitney" and "find me acceptable" by a long shot.  It's "don't judge obese people" of which she is one.  I have no problem with her feeling more acceptable as a result of spreading her messages if she needs that.  Besides, I'm sure she is well aware that no matter how much "acceptance" she may get from other people as a result, there are 2x more people waiting in the wings to put her down and find fault with her.  I don't think she lives in a total dream world.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

But that's just the thing, no body shame is NOT the only message - The other message is don't judge fat people because you don't know the hidden reasons behind why they are heavy.  For her it happens to be PCOS - For others it may be child abuse, grief, other loss, whatever.  That's why she brings up the reasons.  To show that there are understandable reasons that may not be what people might assume - not just for her but for anyone who is obese.  She is not just including medical issues in those valid reasons, but emotional ones as well.  She has stated that many times in either her podcast edition or on YouTube.  It's not "all about Whitney" and "find me acceptable" by a long shot.  It's "don't judge obese people" of which she is one.  I have no problem with her feeling more acceptable as a result of spreading her messages if she needs that.  Besides, I'm sure she is well aware that no matter how much "acceptance" she may get from other people as a result, there are 2x more people waiting in the wings to put her down and find fault with her.  I don't think she lives in a total dream world.

But that doesn't comport with the "no body shame" message.

If you're saying "don't shame someone's body" than there should never be a reason given as to why the person looks the way they do.  Because it simply doesn't matter.  Its saying "it doesn't matter what the reason is, don't judge them" so then to give a reason is to say that there are reasons when its okay to judge a fat person.  And thats not what "no body shame" is about.

When you're saying there are "acceptable" reasons for being fat, it means there are also "unacceptable" reasons for being fat.  If there are "valid" reasons for being fat, than there are "invalid" reasons for being fat.  And thats not a "no body shame" message, thats a "don't fat shame me as long as my reason for being fat is acceptable"

And more specifically for Whitney "don't judge me because I have acceptable reasons for being fat"

She can say all she wants that its not all about her, but her actions tell me otherwise.  And I would trust a persons actions before I would trust their words.

But if, as many people on here have said, PCOS is responsible for maybe 30 additional pounds of weight, it is then responsible for a minuscule amount of her weight gain. And as such it should be mentioned, at best, in passing, because that certainly is not the reason for the majority of her weight gain.

I keep seeing variations on this thought throughout these threads repeated as fact- that PCOS can only account for X amount of weight. That is not my understanding of the current science. PCOS is still poorly understood and produces a range of symptoms, and as far as weight, some people with PCOS don't gain weight while others are morbidly obese, and it's not entirely clear why yet. You can be diagnosed with PCOS and not actually have cysts, but we don't say that means that if people get cysts that it must be because of something they did. If you have seen a study that sets some limit on how much weight gain can be attributed to the metabolic processes at issue, I'd like to see it. Otherwise it's just theories and conjecture.

• Love 2

I think part of the problem is that the editors on this show must hate Whitney. They are not showing what Snarklepuss is talking about, they are showing what RCharter is talking about. Both of you could be totally correct about Whitney's campaign based on perception, but if one is just watching the show, it is easy to assume that Whitney is extremely selfish with it.

• Love 3

The flight to California was another thing that was, imo, completely staged and phony. 

Of course production bought up that whole row of seats.  It was cheaper than tracking down anyone who might sit in that row to get a waiver, or having to pixilate them.

If Whitney really wanted to show us the struggles that someone of her size has to deal with on a daily basis (and which other folks take for granted), she could've discussed the need to purchase two-seats (of course this didn't occur to her since she didn't purchase the tickets), or having to get a seat-belt extender from the flight attendant.  (even when I was just in the high-200 lbs range I found that on some airplane seats I needed an extended, on other I didn't at all; there really is no rhyme or reason;  but I'm guessing Whitney needs at least one extender, if not two or a specially-sized one).

But, instead, we just got to hear Whitney whine about how bad it would be if someone had the nerve to have bought the seat next to her.  Here's a tip Whitney, squeezing in next to someone on an airplane actually sucks for everyone!  The seats have all gotten smaller and we've all gotten bigger and air travel is a bitch for most of us.  Why not focus on the things about air travel which are especially hard for you?

The other thing I remembered was Whitney panic-attacking about how this trip was going to be her entree to "internationalizing" her NBS "brand".  But, from what we could see, that consisted of . . . giving a T-Shirt to a guy who lives in England?  Just another example of how she's not at all serious about this NBS thing.  She could've accomplished the same thing by standing outside the International Terminal at the airport in North Carolina and handing shirts to passengers on departing flights.

• Love 5

I keep seeing variations on this thought throughout these threads repeated as fact- that PCOS can only account for X amount of weight. That is not my understanding of the current science. PCOS is still poorly understood and produces a range of symptoms, and as far as weight, some people with PCOS don't gain weight while others are morbidly obese, and it's not entirely clear why yet. You can be diagnosed with PCOS and not actually have cysts, but we don't say that means that if people get cysts that it must be because of something they did. If you have seen a study that sets some limit on how much weight gain can be attributed to the metabolic processes at issue, I'd like to see it. Otherwise it's just theories and conjecture.

PCOS sufferer here! Actually the reason is well known, but not well-dealt with. PCOS slows your metabolism, which makes it easier to gain weight.

The reason people say that it only accounts for 30-50lbs is because it doesn't slow the metabolism by a massive amount, more like a few hundred calories.

All this means is that if you took two people of the same height and weight, but gave one PCOS, that person would have to either eat maybe 200-400 calories less per day or burn 200-400 calories more per day than the other person.

This is certainly doable, but requires a change in diet. Fast foods and processedin foods are higher in calories than whole, natural foods. So while many people can lose weight on junk food diets by simply cutting back the amount of junk food, people with PCOS are more likely to require a diet overhaul, because the amount of junk food they'd be eating would leave them hungry. It's a matter of trading burgers, pizza, and lattes for fresh veggies, lean meats, and water.

Fast food can be addicting, but it is possible to get over it! And as you lose weight, you learn to slowly incorporate a bit of junk food here and there by carefully watching your other intake.

The reason there are obese women with PCOS and thin women with PCOS is related to their diet, but also to the type of PCOS. Women who have never gained weight on PCOS are women who typically eat healthier foods or less calories already; it's very hard to overeat on veggies and lean meats...you would feel full to bursting before the calories caught up with you.

On the other hand, the majority of obese women with PCOS developed the PCOS *after* the obesity; in other words, for most obese women with PCOS, the PCOS is a symptom of the obesity, not the cause. Many see their PCOS symptoms completely disappear following sustained weight loss.

Even Whitney has acknowledged that she gained weight prior to PCOS; its possible that the PCOS helped her along, but the more likely scenario is that she gained weight until it caused PCOS. In either scenario, the solution is the same: you lose weight by burning more calories than you eat. If Whitney wants to lose weight she either needs to be tracking every calorie of the junk food she eats, OR she needs to overhaul her diet, learn to cook, and start eating healthy foods.

• Love 2

I'm going to move my response to the PCOS discussion to the small talk thread.

Unrelated question- I wonder where Whitney gets the studio space she uses for her personal work? (Like working on choreography or filming her YouTube video)? I wonder if she has a friend with a studio? Is that where she teaches the big girl dance class? Just curious.

Edited by Shibori

I mean really do we have to speculate on PCOS role Whitney's morbid obesity? We have seen how active she is, we have seen how she eats. I'm not saying that PCOS isn't a factor but it's insignificant compared to that grocery cart full of trash food, the tub of ice cream and the bedroom full of empty bottles of alcohol.

• Love 4

I'm going to move my response to the PCOS discussion to the small talk thread.

Unrelated question- I wonder where Whitney gets the studio space she uses for her personal work? (Like working on choreography or filming her YouTube video)? I wonder if she has a friend with a studio? Is that where she teaches the big girl dance class? Just curious.

Unless it's a different studio within the place she does the big girl dance class I don't think that's where her YouTube video was done, Greensboro dance (big girl dance class) seems to have a grey/blue color scheme, and if I remember correctly from the video it was more of a yellow color scheme. I'd have to watch the video, I've never seen it other than the clips on the show, but I think it might be at a gym, I feel like I remember there being ex recuse balls in the background.

I can't with this girl. Total drama queen. Yes, diabetes is serious, but shit. She's getting ready to pass away from this terminal pre-diabetes apparently. She's all happy until the day of her doctor appointment where she puts on this tearful charade and once again, both parents go. I've never seen anyone coddled so much in my life. She's carrying on with the dramatics in the doctors office where the bullshit doctor is treating her with kid gloves. This chick wouldn't know real life unless it slapped her in the face. She'll never lose weight with her enabling parents AND friends.

And any thought of this being is last season is false. The network loves Big Whit.

• Love 3

I can't with this girl. Total drama queen. Yes, diabetes is serious, but shit. She's getting ready to pass away from this terminal pre-diabetes apparently. She's all happy until the day of her doctor appointment where she puts on this tearful charade and once again, both parents go. I've never seen anyone coddled so much in my life. She's carrying on with the dramatics in the doctors office where the bullshit doctor is treating her with kid gloves. This chick wouldn't know real life unless it slapped her in the face. She'll never lose weight with her enabling parents AND friends.

And any thought of this being is last season is false. The network loves Big Whit.

A trainwreck with no self awareness?  TLC is probably ready to commission a bronze statue of her.

• Love 3

Yeah, I agree. There's just something about Whit that (chub) rubs me the wrong way. The adolescent presentation, the hyper-emoions, etc. Idk. Maybe cuz we don't see her really trying hard to work out, dance longer than 1 minute, or cook/eat healthy food. Lots of talk, driving in that giant vehicle, or guffawing about stupid shit. I guess I want inspiration, instead of watching someone live poorly regarding health. True, that's the TLC way. I continue to hate watch, and use Whit as motivation to do better myself.

• Love 2

Yeah, I agree. There's just something about Whit that (chub) rubs me the wrong way. The adolescent presentation, the hyper-emoions, etc. Idk. Maybe cuz we don't see her really trying hard to work out, dance longer than 1 minute, or cook/eat healthy food. Lots of talk, driving in that giant vehicle, or guffawing about stupid shit. I guess I want inspiration, instead of watching someone live poorly regarding health. True, that's the TLC way. I continue to hate watch, and use Whit as motivation to do better myself.

I think thats an excellent way to use the show.  I don't think people would do well to pattern themselves after Whitney, but to try to do more so they don't end up like Whitney.

I guess what's confusing to me is that whit keeps talking about herself as the voice/body (?) of this NBS "movement". So you're out there dancing on an old you tube video and leading a "big girl" dance class is one town. What a rebel.

BTW, does she ever go to the clubs to dance in public? So brave.

• Love 2

It's easy enough to figure out what Whitney did or didn't do: There's loads of footage online about the Dancing Man party and a documentary about it. There were many people there who had been bullied online or had disabilities. It's a shame they were not shown more; that would have been much more interesting than the whole Lenny phone call thing. The full flash mob is online too, easily found at YouTube. The crowd actually was watching it, for the most part. Whitney was most definitely not the focus.

I actually like and appreciate the No Body Shame idea and don't think anyone should be subjected to commentary on their weight. I don't always like the way things are portrayed or edited on this show, though.

Edited by Marie190
  • Love 2