Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

On 11/28/2017 at 11:14 AM, toodles said:

I think we should change the title of this thread.  My suggestion is Janelle Brown-Just as Smart as the average Brown.  Or Janelle Brown-No Smarter than the average Brown.

Yes, this title needs a change. She was never smarter than the average Brown. In fact, she’s the dumbest.  She gives her inheritance over to Kody.  She leaves him — and then comes back!  Comes back to give her paycheck over to a douche and his two other wives. She leaves a great state job with retirement/pension/benefits to run off to Vegas to escape persecution (where there was no persecution).  She decided to get a real estate license in Nevada during the worst housing/economic cycle — didn’t sell anything either. Now, she’s dumb enough to believe that she can develop a wellness/fitness/health coaching business - when she is the least well, least fit and least healthy of all the Browns. 

• Love 12
On 11/28/2017 at 8:10 PM, Kohola3 said:

She's a brainwashed Sheep Wife just like all of the female polygamist believers.  It's a cult and they all drank the Kool-aid a long time ago when they accepted all of the "celestial planet" hogwash.

I hate to be all "I told you so" but I've literally been saying this since season 1 with her.  I could never understand why so many people thought Janelle was so smart and the title of this thread always bugged me because of that.  And BTW, with regard to the pyramid schemes, this family is yet another example of scammers being taken in by scams themselves.

• Love 14

The reason I have always thought Janelle was the dumbest in an already dumb box of rocks - she didn't grow up in polygamy.  For the others, I will always cut them a tiny sliver of slack as they were brainwashed since birth - that's tough to break away from (not impossible).  Janelle chose polygamy.  

• Love 19
On Friday, December 01, 2017 at 6:43 AM, ginger90 said:

If the picture of the cooked meal and her oh so inspiring typed words aren't enough.......the most recent post on her facebook will certainly get you pumped!! Video: (I couln't link the video directly)

https://m.facebook.com/STRIVEwithJanelle/

Quoting myself, lol. In the instagram post about the above, Janelle mentioned that the meat was "fancier" than their usual. If by fancier, she means pricey, move over for this one (around here you're looking at over $20lb )

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/936990074536730624?p=v

• Love 2
On 12/3/2017 at 5:03 AM, Xena said:

The reason I have always thought Janelle was the dumbest in an already dumb box of rocks - she didn't grow up in polygamy.  For the others, I will always cut them a tiny sliver of slack as they were brainwashed since birth - that's tough to break away from (not impossible).  Janelle chose polygamy.  

And she left, only to return. Maybe she just wanted to irritate Meri?

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:03 AM, Xena said:

That and she thought divorcing her husband and marrying his sister's husband was a good idea. How could that possibly end well? 

• Love 8

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  Meri's brother must have been a real loser if Kody looked good to Janelle, especially knowing that Meri would be part of the "marriage."  

And, Janelle's mother converted from LDS as well, to marry Kody's dad?  What were these women thinking?

• Love 5
On 12/4/2017 at 9:14 PM, xwordfanatik said:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  Meri's brother must have been a real loser if Kody looked good to Janelle, especially knowing that Meri would be part of the "marriage."  

And, Janelle's mother converted from LDS as well, to marry Kody's dad?  What were these women thinking?

Janelle and her mother were homeless homely women living in the middle of nowhere.  Sadly, Kody and his father were what was available.

• Love 1

The couple things Janelle has said about her relationship with Kody, and he's backed it up, is that they very quickly became best friends. They both said that they would have talks that lasted for four or five hours and not even realize how late it had gotten. That kind of intense connection can be very heady, even if it's not a romantic attraction.

Also, as time went on, they've both said that they were very bonded over their children. They've said that they've always been in sync where child rearing was concerned, and that was a major point of connection.

I know it seems strange for her to hand over money to him and come back after she'd established this whole independent life for her and the kids...but, honestly, I can see how it could happen. I have sympathy for her in that regard. Single mama-ing can be a lonely, solitary experience. The siren call of re-partnering with someone that you have a close "best friend" bond/connection with, and that you've always viewed as a great father even if they were a shitty husband, could be really strong in that situation, regardless of the other crap that going back into it might entail.

Hell, a lot of people have gone back to a lot worse for a lot less, sadly.

• Love 4
On 12/4/2017 at 6:14 PM, xwordfanatik said:

The loins want what the loins want!  I feel like I just told a 'what's grosser than gross?' joke.

If Meri's brother was worse than Kody that is really saying something.

14 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Janelle and her mother were homeless homely women living in the middle of nowhere.  Sadly, Kody and his father were what was available.

Does anyone here watch Superstore?  I was watching last night with Mr. Natalie and he says 'that woman looks just like that person on Sisterwives (Janelle)'.  The actress totally does.  A much cuter Janelle but still.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1893247/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_i14

• Love 2
6 hours ago, auntiemel said:

The couple things Janelle has said about her relationship with Kody, and he's backed it up, is that they very quickly became best friends. They both said that they would have talks that lasted for four or five hours and not even realize how late it had gotten. That kind of intense connection can be very heady, even if it's not a romantic attraction.

What else was there to do but let Kody talk for hours? (There is no way it was an active conversation). They were poor and lived in the middle of nowhere.  No cable. Bitch Meri was probably in the doublewide with the bunny ears watching the one channel.

• Love 9
On 11/28/2017 at 9:17 PM, TurtlePower said:

Agreed. Why’d she come back to that? I get the being brainwashed but damn. Meri too has shown us she’s not happy—ugh. It’s sad to watch. I’d love nothing more than these women to GTFO.

Janellle went from having promising prospects to Strive. She’s floundering in what seems to be a complete lack of self confidence, yet she’s trying to make it as a “coach”. Their beliefs have turned these women into fakes and chumps. 

Kody found the plyg house and Janelle would have the largest space while Meri had the smallest. Meri had the official State sanctioned Marriage Certificate, the family had a home because of her. Plyg wives live for one upping each other. 

On 12/3/2017 at 0:24 AM, Snarklepuss said:

I hate to be all "I told you so" but I've literally been saying this since season 1 with her.  I could never understand why so many people thought Janelle was so smart and the title of this thread always bugged me because of that.  And BTW, with regard to the pyramid schemes, this family is yet another example of scammers being taken in by scams themselves.

I think she was considered the smartest because she used to sit on the sofa during the talking heads with her mouth shut. Christine and Kody wouldn't shut up and made themselves sound stupider and stupider with every word, Robyn couldn't pronounce anything and was constantly crying and trying to speak for everyone, and Meri was obviously lying with every word she said. Janelle was deemed the smartest because she didn't give us much snark on. Her weight was largely off limits for most of us until she started the scamming. 

• Love 10

I think she was considered the smartest because she used to sit on the sofa during the talking heads with her mouth shut. Christine and Kody wouldn't shut up and made themselves sound stupider and stupider with every word, Robyn couldn't pronounce anything and was constantly crying and trying to speak for everyone, and Meri was obviously lying with every word she said. Janelle was deemed the smartest because she didn't give us much snark on. Her weight was largely off limits for most of us until she started the scamming. 

That pretty much describes it for me too.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Christina said:

I can see that.  I always used to say that her silence and positive "intelligent" expression shouldn't be interpreted as intelligence or common sense.  I also think she always projected an image of responsibility and maturity that the others didn't.  The fact that she was the only one with a real job at one point also gave that impression.  I guess I always looked beyond that.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I can see that.  I always used to say that her silence and positive "intelligent" expression shouldn't be interpreted as intelligence or common sense.  I also think she always projected an image of responsibility and maturity that the others didn't.  The fact that she was the only one with a real job at one point also gave that impression.  I guess I always looked beyond that.

True, it made her seem like she was the only one who understood work equaled money and she did seem to know when to keep her mouth shut. But there were a few weird things like her leaving. She left and supported her kids on her own, that was great. But why would she come back? She wouldn't have to fork over her money to anyone. She wouldn't have to deal with Meri. Why did her oldest son have to get up and make breakfast for his siblings? Why did he do so much for his siblings? Why did Janelle go along with having lunches or whatever with Kody behind Meri's back? Why would you marry your ex-husband's sister's husband?   A smart person should recognize that's not a good idea. When it turns to be a bad idea and Meri's horrible for years why wouldn't you just up and leave and not come back? Why would she let herself be talked into come back and using her money to buy the house? Why would she let use her other funds to move to Vegas?

• Love 3

I'm surprised to hear so many people advocating sneaking your own food into the movie theater. Isn't that against the rules ? or am I just being some kind of girl scout lol

Seems to me the best advice would be to eat a healthy meal before you go to the theater so you can make it make it through a 90-minute movie without needing a snack.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I'm surprised to hear so many people advocating sneaking your own food into the movie theater. Isn't that against the rules ? or am I just being some kind of girl scout lol

Seems to me the best advice would be to eat a healthy meal before you go to the theater so you can make it make it through a 90-minute movie without needing a snack.

ETA or maybe just see better movies that aren't so boring you feel the need to eat while you're watching them just to be entertained hmph!

For me the movie is connected to Diet Coke and popcorn so I get the kid pack. I think theaters look the other way about own snacks unless one is overt about it. No one looks in our bags and when we go to the movies with the grands we have been known to sneak in something of their choice. Healthy meal ahead? Well okay but still want that Diet Coke and popcorn. Level of interest in movie has nothing to do with wanting my rare snack at that time. So YMMV  and enjoy the show! 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I'm surprised to hear so many people advocating sneaking your own food into the movie theater. Isn't that against the rules ? or am I just being some kind of girl scout lol.

I used to be a girl scout about that, too.  Then I realized that food purchased in-house is to movie theaters what insurance purchased in-house is to car rental agencies.  It's a big money-maker that has nothing to do with why you're using them.  I want to rent a car - period - so I don't buy extra insurance from the car rental place.  And I want to watch a movie - period - so I don't buy food from the theater owner.  If they want me to buy their food, they should lessen the markup and charge a fair price.  A bag of popcorn and a drink costs more than the actual ticket to get in!

Is it against the "rules" to carry in your own food?  Yep.  Is it against the law?  Nope.  

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

A bag of popcorn and a drink costs more than the actual ticket to get in!

Exactly.  It's insane what big city theaters charge. In our little town it's $5 for a large popcorn and pop with unlimited refills.  The tickets are $5 for adults.  Not a wallet breaking event.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

Exactly.  It's insane what big city theaters charge. In our little town it's $5 for a large popcorn and pop with unlimited refills.  The tickets are $5 for adults.  Not a wallet breaking event.

We only go during the hours when we get the senior matinee price ($7.50).  A large popcorn gets you ONE refill; that means that over the course of a year, you'd pay $221 to go to the movies once a week and get the free refill the next week.  You can buy a souvenir cup (good for a whole year for $1.50 drinks), there are no free refills.  That's $78 over the course of a year.

So the choice is to spend $300 or carry-in.  We carry-in . . . usually a bottle of water (less than $.10 at Sam's Club, $3 at the theater) and a plastic baggie with dry-roasted peanuts.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I guess this is the  topic of a future blog post. So, the encourager is asking for advice. I just don't get the whole concept, I guess.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1612937225422062&id=1142350415814081&__tn__=*s*s-R

This is ridiculous. If she can't have a nice, healthy snack before the movie and walk past the popcorn counter, just, wow. This is so difficult for her she needs advice (shouldn't you be GIVING it, coach Janelle?). Theater food isn't even good!

Advice: Buy your ticket and take your seat. 

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

This is true, but sometimes those big city theaters are worth it. We've already purchased our seats for Star Wars--the great big reclining ones where you don't have someone's elbows in your seat or a kid kicking your chair. Was it a little pricey? Yeah, but we only go to movies 3-4 times a year. Vegas area has some great theaters.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

This is ridiculous. If she can't have a nice, healthy snack before the movie and walk past the popcorn counter, just, wow. This is so difficult for her she needs advice (shouldn't you be GIVING it, coach Janelle?). Theater food isn't even good!

Lol exactly! Janelle's post was supposed to solicit suggestions about how to deal with being tempted at the movie theater ( I guess she's gonna let her readers do the heavy lifting for her instead of coming up with ideas herself) but all it turned into was a list of portable little things you can sneak in to eat. Obviously that was not the point, although Janelle graciously thanking everyone for their wonderful ideas. What the hell ever, lol. I only saw one person who suggested she just eat some healthy food before going so that she'd be less susceptible to the smell of the disgusting greasy popcorn or chocolate covered raisins. Everyone else was all about what they prefer to sneak in with. That's quite the little diet support chat site she has going on over there.

My favorite was the lady who talked about sneaking in plastic bags filled with cubes of cheese, pepperoni, and pork rinds. It's so ridiculous someone has to just be trolling Janelle with that lol

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 9

Actually from what I've read, movie theaters don't make much on the actual movies, their real profit has always been in concessions.  

I just would eat before going to the movies.  I have to say though, that as greasy and unhealthy as it is, a bag of Skinny Pop is not the same!!!

My solution - get a modest sized popcorn and bring someone to share it with.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

My solution - get a modest sized popcorn and bring someone to share it with.

Or get a kid's portion.  A lot of theaters  have a kiddie special with a small popcorn and a drink.  I have to say that I am drawn right in with the popcorn smell!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Or get a kid's portion.  A lot of theaters  have a kiddie special with a small popcorn and a drink.  I have to say that I am drawn right in with the popcorn smell!

I only ever get the kids pack. Just right. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

This is true, but sometimes those big city theaters are worth it. We've already purchased our seats for Star Wars--the great big reclining ones where you don't have someone's elbows in your seat or a kid kicking your chair. Was it a little pricey? Yeah, but we only go to movies 3-4 times a year. Vegas area has some great theaters.

You haven't been to the Alamo Roadhouse in San Francisco. They have a full menu and craft cocktails that are served during the movie ?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

They have a full menu and craft cocktails that are served during the movie

Isn't that a bit, well, disruptive?  Not sure I'd want the waitress handing down food while I'm trying to watch the movie.

But sounds like something Janelle might be into.

1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

Isn't that a bit, well, disruptive?  Not sure I'd want the waitress handing down food while I'm trying to watch the movie.

But sounds like something Janelle might be into.

I thought the same before I went. The servers are dressed in black and are good at both being quiet and not blocking anyone's view. It's Alamo DRAFTHOUSE, Btw. Had it wrong. Besides the food and the film, it's just super fun! Great date place. 

https://drafthouse.com/

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

The servers are dressed in black and are good at both being quiet and not blocking anyone's view.

Just trying to picture how this works!  So what do you do with the dirty dishes and cutlery?  Just leave it on the floor?  Pass them down the row when you are done?  Interesting concept.

3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Just trying to picture how this works!  So what do you do with the dirty dishes and cutlery?  Just leave it on the floor?  Pass them down the row when you are done?  Interesting concept.

Every seat has a table in front and the rows are raised a bit higher. The servers just kind of crouch down. It's a unique experience!

• Love 1

Every seat has a table in front and the rows are raised a bit higher. The servers just kind of crouch down. It's a unique experience!

I admit it sounds like fun. Our one and only theater was a single screen venue that they divided into two theaters so if you have more than 4 in our group you have to sit in two rows!  And the handicapped seating is a short church pew in the back that has room to park a wheelchair.  It's very, um, eclectic.  But cheap.

• Love 1

Gotta say, the fresh baked cookies at Alamo Drafthouse are amazing!  At other theatres, I am a kid pack person...we don't go to the movies much anymore (cuz they suck!) but I've got to have some greasy popcorn!

Janelle is doing everything she can think of to attract people to her business.  Not gonna work.  Sorry, not sorry.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, riverblue22 said:

Gotta say, the fresh baked cookies at Alamo Drafthouse are amazing!  At other theatres, I am a kid pack person...we don't go to the movies much anymore (cuz they suck!) but I've got to have some greasy popcorn!

Janelle is doing everything she can think of to attract people to her business.  Not gonna work.  Sorry, not sorry.

And once again, the Browns are stupid. Asking for dieting advice is NOT how you get clients as a wellness "coach", unless they're equally as stupid. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Everything except offering a service that consumers actually want!  You guys have nailed it.  If someone snarfs down an entire row of Double Stuf Oreos* and then wants to pay a Z-list celebrity for a lethargic cyber pat on the hand, Janelle's their woman.  However, if a person wants real nutritional guidance, an exercise plan, coping strategies, meal planning lists, etc., she's about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.  Even considering the validation-seekers and sycophants, my guess is that the number of folks willing to actually shell out money for Janelle's "services" is pretty small.  

*I may or may not have done this last week.

• Love 8

by Janelle Brown December 10, 2017

I feel like there are always two thoughts at war in my head; one is constructive; it hasn’t been very loud, but I can hear it more and more.  It is almost like a gut feeling, an intuition, and most of the time it is just something I really want to do.  These thoughts are inspiring and usually involve doing something that makes me progress.  

Then, there are the “other” thoughts.  

These are VERY loud and VERY familiar.  These thoughts sound something like this; “that is too hard”, “too much bother”, “I don’t have time”, “what’s the point”, “I am too busy”, blah blah blah… on and on for infinity.

For so many years I have put up little resistance and let the “other” win out.  It was easier, familiar.  It didn’t always make me happier, in fact, it often kept me small, made me feel disappointed that I missed out on something I wanted to do or Be.  But it was easier and more peaceful to keep the status quo with myself, and ignore the constructive.

For example, today I really needed to get a workout in.   And, I have a spin class on this day of the week that is comfortable and familiar.  Today is also a day I am coming back from a longer than usual workout break, so my momentum isn’t as great as it usually is.  Now, I love this spin class, but despite that, I tried to talk myself out of it until the moment I got out of my car at the gym and was walking into the building.  At that exact moment I felt excited, almost giddy to be getting back onto the bike.  Until that moment, the “other” thoughts yelled at me that I could “just do a workout at home”.  “Stream something from my video library” or from one of the workout sources I like.  “Yeah”, it nagged, “then you can save the commute time, the hassle and be more productive with your day so you can get more work done.” Yep, those are the LIES I told myself.  But, that smaller voice, the constructive one, the one I haven’t paid as much attention to kept telling me that I really wanted to go to spin class, that it would be a much better workout than trying to do something half-hearted at home.  When I finally paid attention to that more intuitive thought, there was relief and joy.  At my core, I really wanted to do what it was saying.

It became very clear to me today, after the workout by the way, that I always have these two streams of thoughts going on.  My constructive thoughts lead me to be brave and embrace The power to break with “the status quo” or “your tribe” or whatever it is that has been programmed into us as a species to keep us safe over the centuries. When it comes to my health and wellness, I want to live more fully in a place where I am following that intuitive voice. I am learning how to listen to it because I want to change my status quo.  

Maybe some of you feel the same way?

Gah, what a load of gibberish.  Nothing that hasn't been said 100 times before by just about everyone.  Is this supposed to be inspirational?  All About Me just doesn't really shout "here, let me help you attain your goals" especially if I've forked over my hard earned money for the program.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Everything except offering a service that consumers actually want!  You guys have nailed it.  If someone snarfs down an entire row of Double Stuf Oreos* and then wants to pay a Z-list celebrity for a lethargic cyber pat on the hand, Janelle's their woman.  However, if a person wants real nutritional guidance, an exercise plan, coping strategies, meal planning lists, etc., she's about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.  Even considering the validation-seekers and sycophants, my guess is that the number of folks willing to actually shell out money for Janelle's "services" is pretty small.  

*I may or may not have done this last week.

ROFLMAO! This is one of the reasons I only allow myself Oreos at Easter and in July. (July because it's in the middle of the year, allowing me time to recover from the sugar-induced coma resulting from snarfing my wife's delicious fudge and smorgasbord of home-made cookies. Easter because colors!)