Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

I don't wash the turkey, but I do take the giblet bag and the neck out, and rub the turkey with kosher salt, then roast in a big roasting pan with lid, at 350.  Time depends on the size of the bird.  It comes out so tender, the meat just falls off the bones.

Like other posters have said, Janelle probably never cooked, at least until the show had been on a while.  Logan made breakfast for his sibs, and Christine as a SAHM did the lunches and probably most of the dinners, too.  

From the first episode last Sunday of the new season, it looks like she's still eating her feelings.  I wonder if she thought up the Strive business, or if someone else did.  No one with any sense is going to take her seriously.  

• Love 1

My mom still washes the turkey. Fortunately, I don't eat her Thanksgiving dinners anymore. They're terrible. No, really. They are. The turkey is over-cooked, dried out, and tasteless. I joke that we're having "Turkey Crumble" for dinner because that's exactly what it does: it crumbles. She always confuses me with my younger brother: he likes sweet potatoes and cranberries and I can't stand either. My wife's Thanksgiving dinners are so much better. Her turkey is moist and tasty, and the sides aren't bland. In addition to the usual, this Thanksgiving my wife made elk stroganoff stuff mushrooms. They were delicious.

On 1/13/2018 at 6:03 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Logan made breakfast for his sibs

This reminded me of something that pissed me off the other night when they were tripping down memory lane. They talked about how the early years of mothering were so different than what came later. Paraphrasing: the mothers were in the same boat when all the kids were littles. When the littles became the older siblings they did a lot of the mothering for the new crop of littles. (The point being that the later dynamic eased them into losing/disregarding whatever original closeness and commonality they had with each other.)

Take Care Of And See To Your Own Damn Kids, Please. You Brought Them Into This World And They Are YOUR Responsibility. You Probably Wouldn't Have So Damn Many Kids If You Had To Do All The Tending Yourself, bitch!

I know that dynamic happens everywhere but it's especially common in Utah. I rarely go somewhere without seeing 7-8-9-year-olds (usually girls)  with babies on their hips and littles by the hand. Not plygs, mind you, just everyday Utahns with large families. Gah!!!

• Love 5
On 1/10/2018 at 10:57 AM, MrSmith said:

It's just like when people find out I am a computer programmer. Almost invariably, the next words out of their mouths are "I've got this great idea. Now if only I had a programmer!"

You're a computer programmer? I've got a GREAT idea! I want to turn water into gold. There are several scientific theories on how it works but I can't link any for some reason. Probably because I have twenty thousand tabs open and just typed a billion word rant below, but it's most likely a conspiracy against me so that I'll never be rich. Hmmpft. 

Anyway, as soon as you figure out how to make it work by creating a program that causes it to be automated, probably no more than ten hours of work, let me know and I'll send you my banking information to deposit my cut!

14 hours ago, suomi said:

Take Care Of And See To Your Own Damn Kids, Please. You Brought Them Into This World And They Are YOUR Responsibility. You Probably Wouldn't Have So Damn Many Kids If You Had To Do All The Tending Yourself, bitch!

Short response: I totally agree! Long response: I'm having a bit of a bitchy day from a terrible head cold, and the medicine has now switched from drowsy to scattered, and this sent me on a rant about a family just like the Browns. 

It looks much longer than I thought it would be before I started typing, so I dropped it under the spoiler tab to save room. There are no spoilers, just bitching and moaning about a sucky parental unit, like the Browns, who had the kids raise each other. Fortunately for me, I never watched the Duggars, but they are probably a closer example. 

Spoiler

I worked for an attorney who was the juvenile prosecutor for years. Our area is largely rural with many families living with several generations on the same property, and many families still farm commercially. It wasn't often that I was contracted to work on the juvenile cases, but after he left office there were six felony cases that come to mind where the office was conflicted. In four of them, he was appointed to prosecute, in the other two of the MAJOR cases, he was ordered to defend. There were many other adult and juvenile cases, but most of the juvenile were handled by diversion except for the six. ALL six were issues where the teenagers were put in the position of raising the younger children, and to do so, they became truant at school, were often caught shoplifting, many teen girls became pregnant because it could offer them a chance to go to a pregnant girls' shelter where they had school, parenting classes, and assistance receiving aid on their own without going through their parents. To be clear, they became pregnant on purpose to get away from raising their siblings in the hopes that they would qualify for a semi-emancipation program and be able get through school. Shoplifting was also a way to get the attention of the court system, along with it becoming an addiction-type behavior, like cutting or purging.

One of the social workers was telling me how often they had parents work swing and evening shifts at the plants (which have almost all went overseas now, but were the high paying jobs in the community), because those shifts paid more and they could continue to farm during daylight hours. The older kids were then responsible for getting the younger ones up and fed, off to school and be home when the kids too young to be alone got off the bus. The parent/s would be at work or sleeping because their 24-hour day is different. 

Our school systems share buses. So, the buses run and pick up the older kids first and then repeat the route for the younger ones. If the older kid has to get the younger ones on the bus, they are then late for school and have to leave early to get home before the kids. One of the cases we defended was a fifteen year old young man who was unable to get a ride home early because of the standardized testing that day, and one of his younger sisters was injured horrifically when she tried to start the fire for heat. She spent months in the burn unit at a children's hospital three hours away, and eighteen months after the accident, her prognosis was still guarded. There were at least four surgeries they expected her to need, and her lungs were not improving like the doctors had hoped. She always had a smile on her face when I saw her, and only cried about missing her family and mostly her dog.

Mom and Dad had no charges pending in that case because a fifteen year old is old enough to babysit, but were hit with some minor "encouraging truancy" charges for the fifteen year old. Their family had been in the court system for years at that point, all because of the truancies, and the social worker actually got irate on the stand because the children of the family were paying the price for the adults deciding to have kids. 

Unfortunately, it wasn't a completely uncommon experience, and people often defended the adults because times had changed and both adults now HAD to work, where in the past one could stay home, work part time, or the farming could support the families. On the stand that day, that social worker hit her limit. The family had eight kids, four under the age of six, and the older kids being responsible for running the family, including grocery shopping, laundry and cooking, had been causing issues that had them in the system for almost eight years. It went beyond everyone having chores and everyone pitching in to keep the family moving to the kids doing everything but paying bills. The dad was also a spendthrift; he blew money on everything but his children, and had very expensive watches. 

At the time, all of the kids in that family disliked each other but still loved each other, and the emotional turmoil that happened should have been considered abuse by the parents, but they skirted all major charges and had to enter into a parenting plan, again. During the trial, the truancy officer found himself up on charges himself, and the judge created a diversion program for our client that sent him to another county where there was a residential program like the pregnant teen one. Had he acquitted or ruled a mistrial until the underlying officer's case could be investigated to see if it had an effect on this case, he would have returned home to the exact same situation. The Prosecutor objected and appealed, his parents tried to hire an attorney to block the decision and our client begged my boss to make it happen. During the pendency of this case, his then 17-year-old sister married to get out of the home, got her GED and was waiting to start community college.  

He continued to struggle, tried to get into the military but some minor health issues prevented it, and alternated between guilt and blaming the parents, but fortunately, was required to undergo therapy to work on those issues, instead of just self-medicating. I just googled his name to see if I could find anything about him, and there was only a name matching his in a half marathon three years ago, so no news is good news, I guess.

TL:DR - Social workers and people who work in children's hospitals should all win multi-million lotteries. Also, Janelle and Kody's parental decisions to allow the older kids to raise the younger, such as Logan with his siblings and Aspyn raising Christine's children, is beyond lazy and completely unfair to all the kids. 

• Love 3

OK. I just found this on a STRIVE twitter post. I was like "WTF?" and completely dumbstruck. I almost responded, but decided against it since it was months ago and since I don't want to be blocked from the STRIVE twitter feed. What I wanted say is "There are these professionals called 'doctors' and they have actually gone to school to answer questions just like this one." On an intellectual level, I've always known there are people alive who are this fucking stupid, but it's an entirely other thing to be faced with empirical and irrefutable proof.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, MrSmith said:

OK. I just found this on a STRIVE twitter post. I was like "WTF?" and completely dumbstruck. I almost responded, but decided against it since it was months ago and since I don't want to be blocked from the STRIVE twitter feed. What I wanted say is "There are these professionals called 'doctors' and they have actually gone to school to answer questions just like this one." On an intellectual level, I've always known there are people alive who are this fucking stupid, but it's an entirely other thing to be faced with empirical and irrefutable proof.

I just died!!!

That $6k coach training is paying off ?

• Love 4
12 hours ago, MrSmith said:

To which Janelle responded:  Why the f**k are you asking me?

• Love 7

How sad is it that some clueless fan asks someone like Janelle (who is clearly the poster child for unhealthy eating) for nutritional advice?  The stupidity of pseudo-celebrity worshipers is really distressing.  I wouldn't ask any one of these idiots which way was up.  Especially after Christine made a fool of herself with the whole "toasters will kill you" segment.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Link to her Instagram has 4 picture

....um.....the first photo.  Kody.  The hair. I have no words other than it reminds me of the comedian who smashed watermelons.  Gallagher. Or an evil clown.  Can't decide which.

45 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

But don't the home school materials teach correct grammar?????

Not if the teachers don't know it.  If it's Christine doing the teaching, the only thing they will learn is that toasters are killers (science), how to collect the max from the food banks and government assistance programs (math), and how to hide in bathroom stalls from any relatives that are not polygamists (social studies).

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 9:18 AM, DakotaJustice said:

That $6k coach training is paying off ?

Random thought:  I wonder if Janelle had to go begging-bowl-in-hand to the rest of the family to request their cash and emotional support for her sparkly, passionate dream a la Meri, or if she had that much saved up in her "grocery money" account already and went ahead with her plans on her own.  We'll never know, but I'm curious.

11 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

If it's Christine doing the teaching, the only thing they will learn is that toasters are killers (science), how to collect the max from the food banks and government assistance programs (math), and how to hide in bathroom stalls from any relatives that are not polygamists (social studies).

Don't forget that Presbyterians are sharks!  (Comparative Religion)

6 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Random thought:  I wonder if Janelle had to go begging-bowl-in-hand to the rest of the family to request their cash and emotional support for her sparkly, passionate dream a la Meri, or if she had that much saved up in her "grocery money" account already and went ahead with her plans on her own.  We'll never know, but I'm curious.

Don't forget that Presbyterians are sharks!  (Comparative Religion)

Wearing dollar store boas and performing awkward dances is entertainment. (Music and Drama)

• Love 1
22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

But don't the home school materials teach correct grammar?????

The homeschool materials *I* utilize absolutely teach correct grammar. 

The whole "and I" vs "and me" thing is everywhere. I see people who were not homeschooled getting it wrong all the time. I was educated in pretty decent schools and I'll admit I thought it was ALWAYS supposed to be "and I" until a few years back. One good thing about me, though, is I will always seek out knowledge and have no issue changing my ways if I'm wrong. (This forum has actually improved my grammar quit a bit!) But it's really commonplace. My sister is a public school teacher and always says "and I", even when it's wrong. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Anyone else notice her "Strive With Janelle" apron last night?  What, so now her "site" has cooking lessons?  What next?

Her site has must have items. The apron is one , $30., water bottles, plastic $10. or steel $15. and a t shirt too! $17.

These can be yours !!

50 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Her site has must have items. The apron is one , $30., water bottles, plastic $10. or steel $15. and a t shirt too! $17.

These can be yours !!

Teehee, no thank you please.  

It would be more snark worthy if we knew who came up with the idea that Janelle should have a "healthy" kind of site.  She/he should be exposed for their stupidity and craziness.

DOES anyone know?  

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, AZChristian said:

"Kody and me"

Does ANYONE on reality shows study English?

This is one of the tricky rules of grammar. I had an amazing teacher in high school for freshman English and he taught us to disregard whoever else is in the sentence and test the remainder for correctness.

It was the best thing that ever happened to Kody and me. (Yes)

Kody and me think so. (No)

It was the best thing that ever happened to Kody and I. (No)

Kody and I think so. (Yes)

(I never can remember his formula for whoever/whomever, LOL. RIP, Mr Stalcup.)

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, suomi said:

I had an amazing teacher in high school for freshman English and he taught us to disregard whoever else is in the sentence and test the remainder for correctness.

I use it all the time!

Don't get me started on people who think it's highfalutin to use "myself" instead of me.

Edited by Kohola3
Complete the thought.
  • Love 2

If I remember correctly, if you phrase it in the form of a question and the answer is I/he/she then you use “who”.  If the answer would be me/him/her then you use whom.   Who is at the door?  I am/He/she is.   To whom does the coat belong? Me/Him/her.  I believe it works the same with whomever/whoever.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

Yes!!!! As I said, I've used the forum to improve my grammar immensely. 

I use both above tricks when teaching my kids. If they say "Bob and me want to go ride bikes" (my son's name is NOT Bob), I respond, "ME want to go ride my bike?" and they realize the correct usage right away. It's easier than remembering subject vs. object of the sentence. 

And for whom vs who, I just use "him". It has an "m" on the end, like "whom", so it helps me remember. So if I want to know which is correct - "Who is the present for?" or "Whom is the present for?" - my answer would be, "It's for him". So I would use, "Whom". 

• Love 1

Welp, there are exceptions (that I can't remember) but effect is a noun and affect is a verb.

Law enforcement/the medical field evaluates someone who is expressing zero or nearly zero emotion as having a flat affect - how they act. Mika Brzezinski can be described as being affected or having affectations (insincere poses/positions) - how she acts.

An effect is a result that is caused to happen. You get misty when you hear your national anthem because that song has an effect on you.

(Act and affect start with "a" - that works for me.)

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ghoulina said:

And for whom vs who, I just use "him". It has an "m" on the end, like "whom", so it helps me remember. So if I want to know which is correct - "Who is the present for?" or "Whom is the present for?" - my answer would be, "It's for him". So I would use, "Whom". 

Or "For whom is the present?"  LOL.  Grammar is a never-ending trail, always leading to a trap.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

Or "For whom is the present?"  LOL.  Grammar is a never-ending trail, always leading to a trap.  

It's interesting how our minds work. When I read the original post, I re-worded it as "The present is for whom?" Just interesting how we all solve the puzzle differently.

1 minute ago, MrSmith said:

It's interesting how our minds work. When I read the original post, I re-worded it as "The present is for whom?" Just interesting how we all solve the puzzle differently.

As long as we all know that you NEVER end a sentence with a preposition!!!!

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

As long as we all know that you NEVER end a sentence with a preposition!!!!

Good news - it's actually a myth that you should not end a sentence in a preposition. I was thrilled when I learned this, as it always seemed so natural, and finding ways to not do it made sentences sound so stilted!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Good news - it's actually a myth that you should not end a sentence in a preposition.

Technically that's true.  However, there are jobs for which that just doesn't fly like doing technical writing. I'd have been fired.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Good news - it's actually a myth that you should not end a sentence in a preposition. I was thrilled when I learned this, as it always seemed so natural, and finding ways to not do it made sentences sound so stilted!

Less a myth than an old rule that is less applicable/useful today. People don't speak as formally as they used to, which leads to ending sentences with prepositions because it makes the sentence more direct and concise (though potentially less clear). It's similar to the rule that a pronoun refers to the noun that most recently preceded it; yet, just yesterday I was discussing something with my wife about her sister and her sister's female friend and constructed a sentence using "she" three times and no actual nouns. The sentence ended up very direct and concise, but would have been completely unintelligible to anyone else.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

It's similar to the rule that a pronoun refers to the noun that most recently preceded it; yet, just yesterday I was discussing something with my wife about her sister and her sister's female friend and constructed a sentence using "she" three times and no actual nouns.

Yikes, that must have been fun.  When it's that complicated I revert to using the actual names even when it means repeating them.  Or, well, there's always pointing at people!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

You are correct! Ending a sentence with a preposition is something I'm often guilty of. Of doing! See? I need work. 

• Love 8
On 1/24/2018 at 12:43 PM, ghoulina said:

Anyone have good tips for effect vs. affect? THAT'S the one that trips me up. 

(Sorry, Jenelle, you're just not that interesting.)

I use ‘RAVEN’ as a mnemonic: Affect = Verb, Effect = Noun.’ I guess the R is just there so it’s an actual word.

Of course, because English is terrible, there are rare occasions when affect is specifically a noun (‘she speaks with a flat affect’) and effect is a verb (‘we’re trying to effect real change’) just to confuse matters. But by and large, RAVEN (or AVEN) works for me.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Pachengala said:

I use ‘RAVEN’ as a mnemonic: Affect = Verb, Effect = Noun.’ I guess the R is just there so it’s an actual word.

Of course, because English is terrible, there are rare occasions when affect is specifically a noun (‘she speaks with a flat affect’) and effect is a verb (‘we’re trying to effect real change’) just to confuse matters. But by and large, RAVEN (or AVEN) works for me.

Here ya go.  The OCD in me wouldn't let that "R" just be there for no reason.

RAVEN:  Remember, Affect = Verb, Effect = Noun

• Love 8