Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Bentley's Corner Barkery

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

A relatively mild episode as this show goes. The concept of a high quality pet food store isn't unique, but it's certainly scalable. These people were way too aggressive for their own good though. They were about to pull a Chuck E Cheese by expanding before they were profitable. But Marcus putting them on a sound footing saved them. I fully expect this to be one of Marcus' success stories

I hope so. The woman seemed clueless about the pet food they sell.

This reminded me of Ryan's Barkery, a pet food treat business featured on Shark Tank. I guess "barkery" covers the dog food and such, leaving the cats to fend for themselves.

I think this episode perfectly shows what happens in many small business situations.  A couple comes up with a good business idea and stumbles into early success with it.  Then, they have no idea what to do next.  

Some businesses (like theirs) try to grow way too fast.  Others hang on to their original plan for dear life, ignoring all indications that they need to make some changes, and stagnating as a result.  This is why an experienced guy like Marcus is truly worth the amount of equity he ends up with is these businesses.

Right away, I could tell that Marcus was going to have to re-do all 7 of the stores to match each other, just like the Greek gyro chain he did last season.  Also, a centralized warehouse like he did for that NYC clothing chain.  Also, getting his sign company (corporate synergy!) to make all-new store displays.  

I think I'm getting good at this.  Marcus, give me a call! haha

• Love 2

This was a masterful episode.

I thought it was particularly well-constructed, achieving a lovely balance between business content, personal drama, and Marcus being Marcus. I mean, of course I want some episodes to be gobsmacking crazypants, but this was The Profit as advertised. I appreciated that.

And they didn't show the kid too much.

• Love 3

This really is a feel-good show. When people are nice, you want to see nice things happen to/for them, and they generally do. When people are jerks, you get the satisfaction of seeing them not benefit from their jerkiness.

Gio smiled and chuckled a lot when he described his by-the-seat-of-his-pants business style and I was afraid that he would be tough to rein in. I agreed with the couple when Marcus suggested bringing in lower-end food, because this was not their original intention. But business is business. People are going to buy cheap food; at least in their store, the majority of their offerings is quality food, and they can pat themselves on the back for maybe converting people to the better food.

Anyone else fall in love with the cute snack stands? That would surely bring in a few extra bucks from people who might not otherwise purchase a bag of Beggin' Strips ("I'd get it myself but I don't have thumbs!!)

• Love 4

When hippies run a business. I'm proud of them for being willing to change eventually, but refusing a supplier purely because they sell to big-box stores made it pretty obvious her real core value is judgmental exclusion.  Fortunately though it made for a different kind of episode, which I enjoyed.

Right away, I could tell that Marcus was going to have to re-do all 7 of the stores to match each other, just like the Greek gyro chain he did last season.  Also, a centralized warehouse like he did for that NYC clothing chain.  Also, getting his sign company (corporate synergy!) to make all-new store displays.  

Yup, a lot of changes are foreseeable at this point.  Which is inevitable and OK. What I like that they still find other stuff to make the show interesting and not repetitive.  All of those changes were offscreen, so knowing they would come was a bonus.

• Love 1

I was so afraid that the couple would blow it for themselves. I loved how Marcus kept redirecting them to what they said were their core values but really weren't (or at least weren't all of them...). I like how Marcus also narrowed in on her real core value which was being able to "judge others" however she wanted which justified her preferences. They may have wanted to be an exclusive pet store but with that kind of expansion they really do have to have multiple price points. I'm glad that they eventually agreed to try other companies, but I think that Marcus will have his hands full with them as they will want to go back to their judgmental and loose business operation.

Enjoyed the  doggie show but is the store chain only for dogs?  That would be surprising and I would think it would be one of  the first things to change.  I'm not a cat lover but I would expect a few food items available.

Watching the wife's attitude about brands and her closed way of considering products was a shocker.   Even not liking the design on a package was surprising.  And, sadly, so judgmental.

This show  should  be played to high schoolers to show them how a closed mind can drag you down.  It is not a good character quality.

• Love 4

I stumbled across a high-end dog only store while on vacation in a beach oriented town. I was surprised it had NO cat things.

I asked..."you don't have ANYthing I can get for my friend's cat?" Nope not even an old sale bin, with discontinued items.

A friend I was buying for had both a dog and cat and I didn't want to get a dog thing if I didn't have something for the cat. So I ended up buying nothing.

But if they're still in business, I guess it's working for them.

Edited by selhars

I have both dog and cat, and I don't shop at a store that sells only to one. My small town pet store has a great selection for both pets, and I'd think a "Barkery" would have a "Kozy Kitten Korner" with some cat items for sale, to attract and possibly double their business. Especially in a large city where apartment dwellers often opt for a cat.

• Love 1

^^ I know ....i was looking for something for a dog and cat....and I agree....I presumed the store I saw would have SOMEthing for cats.

But I wonder...for a person who JUST has a cat/cats -- if you saw a store sign saying "the Corner  Barkery" would that person still just sort of assume, the store would have SOMEthing for cats also.....even if just a limited selection. I, personally would think that because to me cats and dogs/dogs and cats sort of go together.....you canter to one you'd likely cater to the other. I know obviously they're no the same and have different needs, but I still don't see why the store wouldn't have SOMEthing for cats.

But they don't...... their loss. I wonder if Marcus will eventually add to their merchandise line up to include some cat things.

Edited by selhars

Last night's airing of Bentley's Corner Barkery:

I thought it was fun and interesting (and smart) of Marcus to do his live chat during the commercial breaks during the show.  Yes, he cannot possibly answer all the questions that come his way but he is pretty awesome the way he puts himself out there to his fans.

His retail knowledge is very inspired, meaning it is interesting the way he knows exactly what needs to be done with these stores whether it be candy, clothes or dog food.  And he always follows up the retail business with fixing the company's website.   

• Love 1

Last night's airing of Bentley's Corner Barkery:

I thought it was fun and interesting (and smart) of Marcus to do his live chat during the commercial breaks during the show.

I bet it got more eyeballs on the RERUN.   :)

sugar baker design - I agree.  I saw that too....maybe another Marcus change?

And what a great way to increase viewers than by having himself be a part of the show live?  I don't think I would have watched again if Marcus hadn't included himself. 

Marcus said this episode was one of his favorite episodes of all his seasons doing the show but I thought it was just okay.  Stuff must have happened that didn't make the show.

Edited by caligirl50

I could've swore I saw pictures of dogs and cats.

I thought the graphic of the animal on a tree branch looked more like a cat than a dog.

Dogs don't "usually" actually CLIMB a tree....to get up a branch to lie on.

Edited by selhars

I liked watching this episode. I live in the Chicago suburbs. There are two Bentley's Corner Barkery's right by me -- one in the town south of me and one to the east. They are fairly close together for a store of this nature. It really surprised me…then I watched the show and heard about their too rapid expansion. I get it now. 

I've never gone in either one of the locations near me. I'm a little more interested now that I've seen the show, but we already have a locally-owned high end dog food store near me that I shop at. Every other cutesy-high end dog food/treat store around here has folded. I wonder if this chain will make it?

• Love 1

Sarah- Do your research.  Marcus was born in Lebanon. Can't be President. Nobody's promoting that except his followers/fans who know he'd be the best.

This was a  great episode. Business is 100% better, store is beautiful, & now that their pre-judging is hopefully under control, it should do very well. Expansion is ongoing , & as Marcus has said, it will grow exponentially.

But I wonder...for a person who JUST has a cat/cats -- if you saw a store sign saying "the Corner  Barkery" would that person still just sort of assume, the store would have SOMEthing for cats also

I would not. The name of the store tells you clearly it's a dog store. I'd assume that a dog store only has dog products. It wouldn't occur to me that they might have cat products, so I'd never go in there looking for something for my cat, or be disappointed that they didn't have anything for cats.