Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

From MG's solo panel and Anti-Heroes panel at ACE Comic Con today (videos are posted on page 653 of Social Media thread and page 451 of Mind Your Surroundings thread)...

-- When the mod asked about his wish list of comics characters that he'd like to use, MG: "I've made no secret of the fact that one day I would love to see The Question on Arrow. I think the Question is just tailor-made for Arrow. I've always felt that."

-- When fan asked if Booster Gold or Blue Beetle will ever be introduced, MG said "never say never." He then added that both those characters are characters that they've talked about, that Ray Palmer was originally supposed to be Ted Kord, and that there's nothing he could "announce or speak to at the moment."

-- MG commented that he was online reading reviews of how Arrow's mid-season finale ended and how reviewers were saying, we all know it's going to be temporary, so big deal.  MG then said, "How do you know it's going to be temporary? I don't think we're using the word 'temporary' the same way."

-- MG said that Oliver Queen was an anti-hero "for sure". MG: "He's obviously over the course of the show - he's had this, you know, very complex relationship with killing. You know, one year he's killing, the next year he's not killing. One year he has that moral code, the next year he doesn't. And, you know, hopefully, if we've done our job as writers - and twitter will probably disagree with me on this... we've tried to make those ups and downs motivated by what's going on with him in his overarching emotional journey." MG added: "I think Oliver is fundamentally a hero. He is always trying to do good... His heart is always in the right place... I always say, the franchise of the show is Oliver making mistakes... This year on Arrow, you know, because of the first five years, we've been trying to have his mistakes be from a more informed, self-aware, mature place. You know, he's making different kinds of mistakes. Yeah, he's a very flawed character. The moment Oliver gets all his stuff together, that's probably when the show ends.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, tv echo said:

- MG commented that he was online reading reviews of how Arrow's mid-season finale ended and how reviewers were saying, we all know it's going to be temporary, so big deal.  MG then said, "How do you know it's going to be temporary? I don't think we're using the word 'temporary' the same way.

What the hell is he even trying to say?  Temporary means not forever.  How else can you use it? 

I'd like to think maybe it could mean some of the team might not ever return but I'm guessing it's more likely that he's viewing people saying it is temporary as the same thing as "fixed in an episode" as opposed to getting an actual arc of several episodes.  

8 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

What the hell is he even trying to say?  Temporary means not forever.  How else can you use it? 

I'd like to think maybe it could mean some of the team might not ever return but I'm guessing it's more likely that he's viewing people saying it is temporary as the same thing as "fixed in an episode" as opposed to getting an actual arc of several episodes.  

Maybe he's saying 1 person is gone or maybe he's saying that they'll reunite for the final fight but only temporarily and then S7 will deal with 2 teams again?

Or maybe he's just full of shit like WM/MG have done in the past when everyone already predicted their plans.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

It's just like that time they totes most definitely killed off the titular character in the mid season finale or when the island blowing up mattered at all or the reporter storyline having a really cool payoff or characters dying still having meaning...

Here's the problem, even if one of them doesn't come back would anyone care? 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 3

I'm not as annoyed by the kid anymore but meh, I don't like that Felicity's story includes him. I'd rather it was something completely different (don't know what). I still want that kid gone, stat. He's still a bad actor. So wooden.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'm not as annoyed by the kid anymore but meh, I don't like that Felicity's story includes him. I'd rather it was something completely different (don't know what). I still want that kid gone, stat. He's still a bad actor. So wooden.

Yeah, I agree, he still barely knows his dad, why are they fobbing him off on Felicity? Honestly, that sounds to me like Felicity doesn't have much of a storyline in 6b since Oliver's deepening relationship with Myson hasn't had that much screen time either. Maybe the storyline is Felicity taking him to live with his grandparents. IMG_3937.GIF.a271b940e127474215b74651d5fc36a6.GIF

Edited by leopardprint

Yeah, the kid story isn’t annoying this season but also I really don’t care. I wonder if he didn’t want to give something important away because I imagine there has to be a fallout to what CJ did in the episode where Felicity got focus and to me that seems more relevant than Myson..Also having her dad at the reception seems random if they don’t mean to bring him back for something..

Yeah, if you had told me at some point in the last two seasons that there were any extended interactions between Felicity and William coming up, I wouldn't have cared. But the kid's not that bad when they actually write for him (and for his age).

That being said, I'd probably gladly trade every single one of his scenes this season for a multi-episode arc involving Felicity's father. 

Edited by insomniadreams88
  • Love 4

I'm fine with her interacting with William but it doesn't make me excited or anything.The kid is still a bad actor and the family scenes with him don't do anything for me even tho I think he's better with EBR than with SA.I'm guessing both Oliver and Felicity will have stuff with him when the inevitable drama from Oliver lying to him about being GA happens.

I hope there's more for her than that and that her company stuff that's coming up is more than drama with Curtis.

Edited by tangerine95
20 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I feel like I appreciate Roy more now than I did when he was on the team.

Especially considering the newbies in 609 and what I assume we'll get from them moving forward trying to form their own team.

For me, I started really appreciating Roy in season 3, because there was much of season 3 I couldn't stand. But Roy? Roy's character growth that season was top notch, and I really disliked when he left because I realized I would really miss him. And I have, especially with his scenes with Thea. Colton and Willa have always had some really great scenes, and it gave Thea something to do with a character around her age (I think Roy is a bit older than Thea). Starting with season 4, Thea didn't have a whole lot to do. The Anarky arc was fun, but her romantic arc with What's His Face wasn't good at all, and then her episode count got dropped drastically. 

Which is why I very much anticipate Roy/Thea scenes when he returns. If they are looking to let Willa go at the end of this season, or if she chooses to leave, I wonder if they'll let Thea go off with Roy. I suspect that would be the best exit for Thea. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I feel like I appreciate Roy more now than I did when he was on the team.

Especially considering the newbies in 609 and what I assume we'll get from them moving forward trying to form their own team.

Replying in Bitterness thread.

I had a soft spot for Roy left over from Young Justice so I liked him from the start plus when he came around, as cliched as it was, bad boy/rich girl really worked well for both of their characters and they were so functional in season two as a couple.  I think I still miss Teen Arrow more than I will miss BTeam Arrow

• Love 5

Official: Colton Haynes Is Returning To Arrow --

Appropriately enough, Roy Harper’s return comes exactly five years after he made his first appearance — Roy made his Arrow debut in the 15th episode of Season 1; now, he’s returning in the 15th episode of Season 6.

“We’re thrilled to announce that Colton Haynes will be reprising his role as Roy Harper for a short arc on Arrow this year,” Executive Producers Wendy Mericle and Marc Guggenheim said in a statement. “Roy is called back to Star City to help resolve an urgent matter with high stakes for the team. His short visit turns into something surprising when he reunites with Thea and sparks a change in both of their lives that will have long-lasting consequences…”

Edited by Soulfire
29 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

So this might well end up being WH's exit storyline, I guess since she's been barely there this season anyway and disappeared halfway through last. 

AS long as they don't kill her off to do it. Let her go off and marry Roy and move to Coast City or something.

• Love 8

It took me a while to warm up to him but in the end I liked Roy. And I think I appreciate him even more now that we have all the newbies on the team and how forced they feel most of the time. Roy's character was built up over time and it wasn't just an instant thing like they've done with the newbies.

Also, remember that time when he gave up his identity to save Oliver? Bit of a contrast to Rene, isn't it?! 

SIGH.

At least they're not killing Thea off, which is something.

• Love 22

Well, at least Thea will get her happy ending with Roy.

That is a positive thing for me, as breaking the two up in season 3 was an idea I did not like at all, especially for DJ League of Assassins. 

I just hate that now there's another character I like gone. That now leaves only four characters I care about (OTA+Quentin, but even Quentin doesn't appear in every episode). I know Thea has barely been in the last two seasons, but I still had hope of her getting something to do. Nah, my mistake, I guess! 

Roy's return is just going to make me resent Nope Team Arrow even more. 

• Love 1

I'll jump on the bye bye Thea train. Her importance has dwindled and basically crashed and burned now that Olicity is married and Oliver has William. 

I just hope they give her some good focus if she is indeed leaving since they developed this habit of not even focusing on departing regulars once they made their mind up.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I wonder if Willa/Thea exits mid-season or if she'll stay to end of season but, this is the promotion that leads her to eventually leave?

If they want to get their moneys worth, having her stay until the end of the season would make sense. But it would also make greater sense to have Roy come towards the end and stay until the finale and have the two leave after Legion of Doom 2.0 is defeated.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I'll jump on the bye bye Thea train. Her importance has dwindled and basically crashed and burned now that Olicity is married

I'm not seeing the connection of Olicity being married having anything to do with Thea's importance? She had nothing to do in season 5 when Olicity weren't together and had a lot of storylines in season 4 when Olicity were a couple. 

• Love 18
1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

I'm not seeing the connection of Olicity being married having anything to do with Thea's importance? She had nothing to do in season 5 when Olicity weren't together and had a lot of storylines in season 4 when Olicity were a couple. 

Thea's importance to Oliver has always been that she is his family and his own family member, now that he is married and has a full time son, he has a new family to lean on when times get tough. The writers don't need to keep Thea around to give that sense of family anymore. 

27 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I'll jump on the bye bye Thea train. Her importance has dwindled and basically crashed and burned now that Olicity is married and Oliver has William. 

I just hope they give her some good focus if she is indeed leaving since they developed this habit of not even focusing on departing regulars once they made their mind up.

Yeah, sorry, but I'm not sure why Olicity is getting the blame for Thea's dwindling importance? If anything it's all the newbies because they literally removed her as Speedy on the team to make room for all the other masks. It's no coincidence that she was unsure about being Speedy in s5 when all the newbies came around. 

She's always been important to Oliver and had scenes with him, as his family. Oliver being married to Felicity doesn't change that.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 12

I don't think Olicity is to blame for Thea's lack of importance, that's all on the new Masks.

But Oliver being married and having William gives them a justification for removing Thea from show.  Before she was his only remaining family; now he has Felicity and William to be it and he can lean on them.  Maybe Quentin now counts as family too since he handed down The Watch to Oliver.

• Love 4

I think Thea would always be needed as his family regardless of Oliver being married and having a kid because well a sister is different and Thea is unique in that she has been his family since season 1 and she's also a link to something non toxic from his pre island life.I really don't think olicity getting married or even the newbies are a reason for her getting written out,imo it's all bts stuff whatever that is.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

Yeah, sorry, but I'm not sure why Olicity is getting the blame for Thea's dwindling importance? If anything it's all the newbies because they literally removed her as Speedy on the team to make room for all the other masks. She's always been important to Oliver and had scenes with him, as his family. Oliver being married to Felicity doesn't change that.

I'm certainly not putting all the blame on Olicity, newbies being brought in also played a role but to these writers her major importance has been as Olivers sister and her being his only remaining family as I said. Oliver being married lessons that threat of constant "is Olicity going to break up, when are they going to get together, tie knot" now its just "when is the baby arriving". And just as I put William into the equation, Oliver has a full fledged family unit now. 

They didn't care that much about her as Speedy from the get go either way imo. Once they  explored that "this is so much fun!" aspect of her and their half hearted blood lust, they were done with that aspect of the character.

Sorry but I don't agree that Oliver being married is the reason why Thea can be removed now. Oliver can still have a relationship and scenes with his sister. I guarantee this wouldn't be happening if not for BTS issues with WH so that doesn't work for me tbh.

I think WH wants off the show, by the sounds of it, (or the EP's want her gone) and so it's happening. I don't think it's anything to do with the characters and relationships on the show itself.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 14

Thea began to be sidelined when she stopped being a mask. And I blame them for the lame story arcs they gave her in the past but when they reduced Willa’s number of episodes because she asked or something happened BTS it’s obvious the main story was going to be driven by the characters they can use full time and she was going to be sidelined even more. Maybe more clever writers would have found a more original way to write for her but obviously being on the show half of the times they can’t develop her relationships to the other characters.

I think the show lost something when they started using Thea less. And it lost even more when they killed off Moira..those were characters with unique relationships with the main character that were always going to be important no matter what happened while you can change the newbies with three new people and it changes nothing.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 1