Type keyword(s) to search

Rose Nylund: Her Heart's In The Right Place...

• Start Topic

I have always held that Rose's St. Olaf Stories were every bit as brilliant as Gracie Allen's stories about her brother. I mean, of course, the actress didn't write them, but perfect meeting of writng and delivery.

(For all that, I have reached Betty White Overload--yes, she's adorable, but you can't swing a cat without hitting Betty White)

• Love 1
(edited)

I have always held that Rose's St. Olaf Stories were every bit as brilliant as Gracie Allen's stories about her brother. I mean, of course, the actress didn't write them, but perfect meeting of writng and delivery.

(For all that, I have reached Betty White Overload--yes, she's adorable, but you can't swing a cat without hitting Betty White)

To me the amusing thing about Betty White is mostly that everyone from a certain period only knew her as Rose, whereas the real actual Betty was originally signed to play Blanche (and was in reality far more like that character).

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

^I always thought that was funny, too. And Rue's personality seemed closer to Rose, because she seemed like she would have been a total sweetheart in person.

I have to admit Rose was always my least favorite character, but that isn't much of an insult considering how good all of them are. I believe I liked Rose better in the later seasons. In the early years, the character seemed to be too much on her high horse and considered herself morally superior to the others, with a touch Stepford wife. Which I guess isn't much different to how Dorothy and Blanche consider themselves more intelligent and beautiful than the others respectively, but it kind of bothered me sometimes. I liked that the later seasons cut that aspect out and mostly kept her as just the dumb/nice one.

By the way, all the thread titles have been perfect!

Edited by TheGreenKnight
(edited)

To me the amusing thing about Betty White is mostly that everyone from a certain period only knew her as Rose, whereas the real actual Betty was originally signed to play Blanche (and was in reality far more like that character).

After seeing Betty White play the flirtatious, cutthroat Sue Ann Nivens on Lou Grant, and seeing Rue Mc Clanahan play airhead Vivian on Maude, I recall being surprised when they seemed to play each other's old roles on Golden Girls and of course, it worked out perfectly.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 3

After seeing Betty White play the flirtatious, cutthroat Sue Ann Nivens on Lou Grant, and seeing Rue Mc Clanahan play airhead Vivian on Maude, I recall being surprised when they seemed to play each other's old roles on Golden Girls and of course, it worked out perfectly.

It helps if you remember that Rue and Betty originally were supposed to play Rose and Blanche, respectively, but decided to swap roles because they felt that the original characters were too similar to what they had played in the past, and they wanted the challenge of doing something outside their comfort zones.

• Love 1

Funny how Rose could be so ditzy in some things, but be quite competent in others, like making plumbing repairs, for example. Just sayin'.

"Hypersexual bitch." :)

I love Betty White and Rose, but if there one criticism, it was that they sometimes made her a bit too dumb, in a "how does she surivive in the real world" kind of way (naive isn't the same as dumb). And yes, she's a master plumber but she can't even figure out 12 x 20 (or whatever numbers Blanche gave her to distract her) without a pencil.

In the end, though, it's a minor criticism, and never really hurt my overall enjoyment of the show.

• Love 2

In one episode we learn Rose and Charlie had sex for several hours in the evening and in the morning, every day.  At some point in these years, it occurred to me that it also took 5 years before she knew what made your "eyes roll back into your head".  So she had "ok" sex for several hours a day, every day, for 5 years before ever having an orgasm?   Man, Charlie must not be very good. 😄 Of course, it was "nice" "being near Charlie".  

(On a side note  I understand it's dramatic license, but I had a little quibble with the "every day without fail", because really?  even if one of them had the flu? or food poisoning? or after giving birth? but it's a really small thing considering the whole scene.  I still love that whole scene, though, and Blanche's reaction - "No wonder you mourn that man so")

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I complained about that one a while back for a variety of reasons, mostly that it's completely implausible to have sex that frequently, period, never mind with someone who travels for work, and also noting that it taking five years of twice/day (every night and every morning) sex for her to have an orgasm indicates a serious lack of sexual compatibility and/or technique. 

I'd like it so much better if her final zinger to Blanche indicated she'd made the whole thing up in order to be able to stick it to her with that line, but it plays like Rose is serious.  Which, just - no.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
On 5/27/2019 at 5:46 PM, Bastet said:

I complained about that one a while back for a variety of reasons, mostly that it's completely implausible to have sex that frequently, period, never mind with someone who travels for work, and also noting that it taking five years of twice/day (every night and every morning) sex for her to have an orgasm indicates a serious lack of sexual compatibility and/or technique. 

I'd like it so much better if her final zinger to Blanche indicated she'd made the whole thing up in order to be able to stick it to her with that line, but it plays like Rose is serious.  Which, just - no.

A lot of Rose’s stories are ridiculous. What about her and Charlie living in a burning house? It was warm and toasty until they outgrew the place. I really wonder sometimes if Rose was psychotic. 

• LOL 9
On 4/1/2014 at 6:10 PM, bettername2come said:

...but I don't know where the hell her brain is.

I couldn't think of a more clever title, but I couldn't let the last Golden Girl left standing remain without a thread.

a comeback remark that sounds just like something out of Sophia's mouth!! 😂

I agree that Rose’s sex-every-night storyline was stupid. Beyond being completely implausible from a physical standpoint, we know a Charlie was a traveling salesman. It was just a stupid joke/plot device by the writers to make Rose one-up Blanche. Same when Rose says she had 56 boyfriends before marrying Charlie. It’s just so Blanche could say “I’m the biggest slut”. The writers were idiots. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The sex-every-night story and the living-in-a-burning-building story represent lazy writing.  I do understand what they were to accomplish, not the least of which was to confirm how stupid Rose is, but I cringe whenever these come up.

• Love 4

I don’t know how Rose ever kept her job as a product tester or got promoted to associate producer. What did Enrique think when she turned in reports about staring at lightbulbs for hours with her hand in a bucket of water? How did she become an associate producer suggesting topics like “who’s in charge of cheese?” Or “Lincoln: statesman or gas guzzler?” I don’t even understand how she was qualified as a grief counselor. The only job she had that made sense was as a waitress. And I still wonder how often she messed up the orders. The woman had trouble understanding basic English at times. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/7/2021 at 12:02 PM, Blakeston said:

Does anyone else find it strange that Rose would find the name Søren Kierkegaard so bizarre and hilarious? It's a Scandinavian name, and he sounds like he could be someone from her St. Olaf stories.

This is one of my favourite scenes ever. I just love this joke. It's very clever I think because over many episodes over 7 years they build up this thing with the silly St Olaf names, and then flip it. I just love it.

Edited by MoistestCake