Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Promising Young Woman takes screenplay, so I'm off to a good start on my Oscar pool!

I like Sorkin's work well enough, but that backstory is making me picturing behind a concession stand, somehow still finding a way to go on a five minute speech/rant, while he serves customers their popcorn and drinks.

Edited by thuganomics85
3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Union Station is STUNNING

It really is.   I was there a couple of years ago and just love the architecture and decor!

This show looks like it's on film as opposed to...live on video?  Whatever it usually looks like.  I like it.

• Love 3
Just now, Quickbeam said:

Waaaay too chit chatty presentation format. 

It's so confusing - I can't follow it at all. I thought Regina was hosting until she said "and the oscar goes to".

• Love 2

Emerald Fennel is adorable.

I've got no problem with winners using their platform. Since I, a Black woman, don't have the luxury nor the option of "avoiding" certain issues,  as long as they're respectful, it won't bother me none.

• Love 17
Just now, truthaboutluv said:

Dude, that's kind of selfishly fucked up. Unless he and his co-writer decided he alone was going to speak, why would you talk this long knowing you're sharing the award with your co-writer. 

Right? 

1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

Is there anyone in Hollywood who didn't get a screenwriting credit for the Borat sequel??

That really was a mouthful. I thought Regina was still going to be reading that off come Tuesday.

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, superdeluxe said:

Like Regina King, but not liking this presenting format or the winners.

It sort of reminds me of what the actors at the SAG awards do In the “And I’m an actor” intro. They did odd jobs before they hit it big. 

So the screenwriter got to dress up, sit in a London theater, get his name called, looks around...and sat down. At 115 am. Yeesh. Really hope they had a deal where the other one would be the one to talk.

1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

o the screenwriter got to dress up, sit in a London theater, get his name called, looks around...and sat down. At 115 am. Yeesh. Really hope they had a deal where the other one would be the one to talk

Yeah they really need to address that. If they didn't agree in advance thats so messed up of him.

(edited)

Another Round wins International, because while I'm sure all of the films were great in their own way, did any of them also have Drunk Dancing Mads Mikkelson?  I think not!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

So far I'm pretty comfortable with the Soderbergh-esque production design. 24 fps, letterbox, and having talent framed way left or right.  I do hope at some point we get a peek at director Glenn Weiss. Hopefully he's wearing shorts, a T-shirt and no shoes working out of his home office like the DNC Convention.

Glenn Weiss at work 

The outside patio set is really pretty. I think this format would be more fun, drink outside until you have to come in and vice versa, do your categories then you can go outside. 

So, not hasten anyone in their moment but um, did this alternate format mean no time limit? Because these people so far have BEEN talking.

eta: Oh, I was wondering why Laura wasn't giving Supporting Actor per tradition, since she won Supporting Actress last year. 

• Love 1

Even if there is a time limit they'd have been heartless to cut him off mid tribute to his daughter. Well, it's Hollywood but at least Heartless means bad PR so that would be enough to stop them.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Omg thats awful. Ugh I feel bad. What a horrible stupid way to die. Some jerk was on his phone. 

Can you repeat what he said? Got distracted by my sister talking.