Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville Spoilers and Speculation

I'm hoping that this mess with Maddie leads to this:

We know that she runs away next week.  Cash goes with her.  Cash either freaks out and goes totally off the rails or Deacon tells Frankie what went down between him and Cash at the club.  Frankie either gets upset at Deacon, or Frankie realizes that Cash is in need of professional help.  Deacon buys Frankie out of the Beverly, and Frankie and Cash leave town.

I'm hoping that this mess with Maddie leads to this:

We know that she runs away next week. Cash goes with her. Cash either freaks out and goes totally off the rails or Deacon tells Frankie what went down between him and Cash at the club. Frankie either gets upset at Deacon, or Frankie realizes that Cash is in need of professional help. Deacon buys Frankie out of the Beverly, and Frankie and Cash leave town.

I wish it were that easy.

A press release for a later episode says they end up in court, so I'm not holding my breath.

Rayna and Deacon try everything they can think of to reunite with Maddie and avoid court, even involving Teddy (Eric Close) from jail.

Sorry--they're trying to avoid court. And we get to see Teddy as a result. This keeps getting better and better. Edited by airwair

I wish it were that easy.

A press release for a later episode says they end up in court, so I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry--they're trying to avoid court. And we get to see Teddy as a result. This keeps getting better and better.

Ugh...This probably means that Maddie now goes to Cash and wants to live with her.  Therefore, court.  Ugh!

I keep hoping that with the potential of new showrunners next year, Nashville will do what The Good Wife did.  They pulled the ripcord on a horrid storyline that involved Kalinda's husband.  They just ended it and moved on because it was not being received well.  That's what I feel they need to do with Maddie.  Just get us out of this mess because she's totally unlikable at the moment.  At this point, I'd fanwave a whole bunch to make this end sooner rather than later.

• Love 1

My problem is that we're so far down the road at this point that I'm not sure I can fanwave it anymore. At this point I'm ready to send Maddie out on tour with someone we haven't yet met and will never see again. Let her succeed or fail, whatever, as long as she's away from her family. Horrible, I know, but they've made her so very unlikeable over the last year. 

• Love 1

My problem is that we're so far down the road at this point that I'm not sure I can fanwave it anymore. At this point I'm ready to send Maddie out on tour with someone we haven't yet met and will never see again. Let her succeed or fail, whatever, as long as she's away from her family. Horrible, I know, but they've made her so very unlikeable over the last year.

I'd be down with that.

Some speculation on my part ... I think Elton John is putting on a show and brings Will on stage to show his support and stand behind him as a gay country music artist.  I could be wrong, but it sort of makes sense.

• Love 3

Well, I've heard it will be a cliff hanger, and supposedly part of it involves Juliettes plane going missing.

I believe there's also a situation with Luke's son, Colt, being attacked, in the military, because of his Dad's support of gay rights(not sure if that's the finale or sooner)and, I believe Kevin comes back, and it's teased, whether or not, he and Will reconnect.  

Not sure for Gunnar and Scarlett, though, I don't think they're together. Maybe a hint they're moving in that direction. I also think there's a suggestion that things are better, between Avery and Juliette, but, the plane scenario! 

Apparently, for once, Rayna and Deacon, are not part of the cliff hanger. They go into counseling in Epi 20, he's back home, and by the finale, they're in a much better place. They're in NYC to do a FosterMore concert, with Daphne.  I think emancipated Maddie, also in NY runs into problems, with a sleezy label guy, and may try to reconnect, with her family. 

Everything is cliffhanged. Nobody is happy. The current showrunners made sure that if the show would get cancelled, it would be the worst series finale of all time. They're known for this and they have even said it openly. They write insane cliffhangers in order to extort the network to renewing the show.

• Love 1
On May 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM, pattycat said:

Well, I've heard it will be a cliff hanger, and supposedly part of it involves Juliettes plane going missing.

I believe there's also a situation with Luke's son, Colt, being attacked, in the military, because of his Dad's support of gay rights(not sure if that's the finale or sooner)and, I believe Kevin comes back, and it's teased, whether or not, he and Will reconnect.  

Not sure for Gunnar and Scarlett, though, I don't think they're together. Maybe a hint they're moving in that direction. I also think there's a suggestion that things are better, between Avery and Juliette, but, the plane scenario! 

Apparently, for once, Rayna and Deacon, are not part of the cliff hanger. They go into counseling in Epi 20, he's back home, and by the finale, they're in a much better place. They're in NYC to do a FosterMore concert, with Daphne.  I think emancipated Maddie, also in NY runs into problems, with a sleezy label guy, and may try to reconnect, with her family. 

If there's happiness for Will and unhappiness for Maddie, I'm good.  And a Rayna/Deacon/Daphne concert sounds awesome.  (GMAFB on the Juliette plane thing, though.  They really do think we want to live in soap opera land.  Which also means we don't have to worry about Juliette because if she "dies", they will surely bring her back to life next season in true soap opera fashion.)

• Love 1

The "happiness" of Will is getting shot by a rabid gay-hater when trying to kiss Kevin in the finale, unless that's been edited out.

5 minutes ago, ZeroDiscipline said:

DirecTV tells me that next week Scarlett will make an "unexpected" discovery. Pregnant, right? From her drunken hookup with Gunnar?

Either that or she suddenly realizes "hey I'm in love with him" which we have all known now for four years.

And this Juliette's plane is missing business. That only came about because she will be campaigning for her Oscar for playing Patsy Cline, who died in a plane crash. Sloppy, lazy writers who think they are clever. She and Avery better get back together in one of these "contingency" scenarios RL Deacon has been talking about.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2016 at 5:42 PM, ZeroDiscipline said:

DirecTV tells me that next week Scarlett will make an "unexpected" discovery. Pregnant, right? From her drunken hookup with Gunnar?

Just saw the same description in the newspaper TV guide today-- that was my first thought.

"Scarlett makes a startling self-discovery in between tour dates"

I don't know, the wording doesn't quite look like a pregnancy to me, but then again I know Nashville...

Meh, I think it's just "Scarlett does some soul-searching" and comes to the conclusion that she doesn't want to perform without Gunnar and she's in love with him.

I guess one could argue it's startling to Scarlett given the fact that she's spent three years denying it to herself...

I wouldn't mind the pregnancy card, though, seriously. That would at least stamp the "endgame" on them, if we end with a confession of love and a reconciliation. Maybe that's childish of me but I'll never stop ship them anyway, so I'd be at least a bit cheered up by a happy ending.

• Love 2
(edited)

It could go something like "Scarlet realizes she still loooooooves Gunnar 4ever. She rushes to tell him, only to discover him in the arms of Autumn Chase! So she runs back home. And maybe finds out she's pregnant. I feel like this show has done all of these storylines already with other characters. There is no reason that Gunnar and Scarlet shouldn't be together. They have never been able to make anything work with anyone else because they are both so annoying. They belong together and I hope they do have a baby, because it would literally change nothing. They would just pass the baby back and forth and sing and write songs and ride around on a bus, just with less passive-aggressive whining from the grown-ups.

Edited by ZeroDiscipline
  • Love 3

Question: Please tell me Nashville isn’t going to kill of Rayna. I can maybe deal with Connie Britton doing fewer episodes. But a dead Rayna? No. —Brianna
Ausiello: I honestly have no idea how Dame Connie B will be written out, although you mind find this bit of casting intel worrisome: Rumor has it Rayna will be menaced by a stalker this season.

Ask Ausiello

I think it would be a stretch to say that anyone "likes" a storyline about stalking/deranged fans.  However, it is relevant to the industry.   There was the actress from "My Sister Sam" who lost her life many years ago.  To this day, Pauley Perrette from NCIS struggles with being stalked by her ex-husband.  (I think he's currently in jail, but she has talked of always having to be aware and it being an ongoing situation for her.)

TV shows show murder, many types of violent crime, and CBS even had a series about stalking.  With the new writing team and Rayna being the "Queen of Country Music," this storyline would have an accurate place on this canvas, as much as people would not wish it to be so,  If they're going to do it, at least the writers of thirtysomething will be the ones in charge.

I've stayed away from responding because after all that this series has put us through we hear that CB doesn't want to continue acting in Nashville. Only wants to do 10 episodes. What happened to the 7 yr contract that she signed does that just go away because the series was picked up by CMT?  Are they seriously thinking of killing her off, then what the hell did I and so many fans post helping trying to get some network to pick it up. Let her do the 10 episode and then very smoothly slip another singer/actress into that spot.  I would like to know just how that contract she signed lets her off the hook. Another death on Nashville how many has that been since it started. Me, I'm done don't want to go through another season waiting for someone else to be killed off again. Wonder how they will do it this time because who have had 2 persons being shot, one ODing, one dying of heart attack, one falling off a roof, did I miss one, so how will they do her in.

I only count one person getting shot, who's the second one? Who died from an overdose?

Anyway it's very premature to just give up on the show at this stage even if you're only in it for Connie Britton, we just don't know yet if the contract will work out and if not we don't know how she'll be written out, even if a death is a pretty likely option.

And last this isn't anything the showrunners can help. At all. If Connie wants out, and the studio can't stop her, what are they to do? Give up, cancel the show?

7 hours ago, Telepath said:

I only count one person getting shot, who's the second one? Who died from an overdose?

Dante and Sadie's husband. Pete, I think. Both shot dead. Jolene died from an intentional overdose.

It is too soon to give up on the show, especially now when almost everything that is happening has been almost unbelievably wonderful. I listened to an interview with Ed Amatrudo yesterday where he said not to put much stock in those rumors of her leaving. Take that for what it's worth. 

1 hour ago, Soup333 said:

Dante and Sadie's husband. Pete, I think. Both shot dead. Jolene died from an intentional overdose.

I don't feel like those characters count, they weren't regulars. I don't even remember who Jolene and Dante were.

14 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I don't feel like those characters count, they weren't regulars. I don't even remember who Jolene and Dante were.

Well, if we're doing a body count we should count all the bodies, right? There's been probably close to ten deaths on Nashville. And since I'm bored, let's see:

Jason (beaten to death and then posthumously accused of rape. Almost forgot about him)

Jolene

Dante

Peggy

Lamar

Pete

Beverly

Jeff

Will's mother

So nine, unless I'm forgetting someone. Not to mention the three suicide attempts - Will, Layla and Juliette. Hopefully, no more of this nonsense in S5.

Edited by Soup333

I don't mind if CB wants a shortened episode count, but there are many ways to write her storyline that do not include her death. I hope the new headwriters do not succumb to the dramatic temptation of a major death of one of the pillars of the show. From a fan perspective, I want no part of a Rayna death storyline. But from a writing and drama perspective, I can see how it would be so bountiful a storyline.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2016 at 3:25 PM, Sutton said:

What happened to the 7 yr contract that she signed does that just go away because the series was picked up by CMT?  Are they seriously thinking of killing her off, then what the hell did I and so many fans post helping trying to get some network to pick it up. Let her do the 10 episode and then very smoothly slip another singer/actress into that spot.  I would like to know just how that contract she signed lets her off the hook.

Contracts can be complicated.  There may be a lot of factors or even out clauses built into the contract depending on specific circumstances.  Usually they're weighted in favor of the studio but as an actor becomes more well known or in demand, they have more negotiating power.  There may have been a clause that a cancellation by the network would trigger a renegotiation.

Since it sounds like everyone ended up negotiating, my guess is that it's financially related.  CMT can't afford to pay as much per episode as ABC so the studio may have adjusted episode guarantees and/or salaries to reduce costs. Changing contract terms automatically means a new contract/renegotiation. They could possibly play hardball and pay Connie her contract terms but if she really wants to leave, it's kind of silly to stand so firm on this, especially if the studio would like to do business with her again.

It could just be that Connie wants to work part-time, i.e., fewer episodes.  It can be done without having to kill her.  And it doesn't mean she wouldn't be back for more seasons at that same reduced episode count.  I'm glad I'm not in this for her or I guess I'd be upset, like others.  She wasn't really on my radar when the show started - I actually was more interested in JJ than anyone else.  And once the show started, Deacon really became my favorite character.  Rayna is not my favorite and I'd be fine with a bit less of her.  Juliette was always the more intriguing of the two female leads, IMO.

On 9/9/2016 at 1:15 PM, kariyaki said:

Jolene was Juliette's mother! Dante was her annoying sober companion who hooked up with Juliette and later blackmailed her (I hated that storyline).

• Love 3
On 9/10/2016 at 3:43 PM, piratewench said:

It could just be that Connie wants to work part-time, i.e., fewer episodes.  It can be done without having to kill her.   Rayna is not my favorite and I'd be fine with a bit less of her.  Juliette was always the more intriguing of the two female leads, IMO.

It's looking like either a death or coma via a car crash. To be honest, I got on board because I loved CB from Friday Night Lights and then just fell in love with a few other characters. To me Connie's been phoning it in for a while so it won't break my heart if she goes. Now, if they get rid of Deacon, Juliette or Avery, I will be out. 

• Love 6

I'll keep watching no matter what they do with Rayna's character, but I would prefer they schedule her for 10-12 episodes a season and have her touring the rest of the time OR just replace her with another actor.  I'm loyal to the show because of the characters and I wouldn't have a problem with a different Rayna.  But we'll just have to wait and see on that.  

I do not want to see a totally domesticated Deacon.  Badass Deacon is much better.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:04 AM, missbonnie said:

It's looking like either a death or coma via a car crash. 

There's a preview with her awake and talking to Deacon in the hospital.  So obviously she could have a relapse or whatever and then fall into a coma or die, but isn't that exactly what happened to Beverly?  Yawn... recycled stories...

Maddie is emancipated so she can go wherever she wants to.  I guess the new show runners never heard of that storyline.  I see no way Deacon can get custody of Daphne since evidently Teddy got released from prison at the precise moment Rayna died.  Can Tandy not fight her own battles?  Showing her trying to form an alliance with Teddy, of all people, is her go to act.  When Daddy kicked her out of the club, she tried to get Coleman on her side. 

I bet Juliette becomes even more the big sister/ surrogate Mother to Maddie.  I don't see that she has much of a bond with Daphne, though.

I highly doubt Deacon can parent on his own.

So Maddie calls Teddy by his first name now? He's the one who raised her entire life. Do these show writers even know the history? Seems like they'll do more of Teddy=bad cop to prop Deacon the one Maddie was just scared of being around. It shouldn't even be a debate for Daphne to pick.

• Love 4

Maddie has been such a nasty bitch to Deacon and Rayna that it's only right that Maddie spread the wealth to Teddy. Honestly Deacon and Teddy should fight over who doesn't get her (no you take her - no you).

I'm going to call bullshit if Daphne wants to stay with Deacon over her father.  Deacon has been a father figure to her for like 5 minutes Teddy was there most of her life.

• Love 8