Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

The same people who still go to Sonny's parties when the likelihood of there being a shootout is seventy/thirty.

Those are the odds of a shootout at any event in Port Charles.

• Love 8
(edited)
13 hours ago, stlbf said:

*sigh* stupid phone

So it isn't the idea that is the problem, it is the stupid hack writers and idiots in charge?

The idea of Valerie was fine. It is the fact that the morons in charge screwed over the character. 

Valerie was screwed over from the start. The writers could make her as sympathetic as possible (and they tried, imo, but being hacks, they missed the mark by a mile) but if you have a character who, previous to her appearance, was the show's best partner/husband/whatever, sleep with her, it's pretty much a set-up for failure. I mean, this is pretty much my own thought process:

rational brain: Valerie slept with a man she had feelings for and was kind to her, when she was in a bad place herself.

irrational brain: ugh, character who reminds me of the storyline that ruined my favorite character.

speaking of, yesterday was the year anniversary of the day the writer that started that shit story was given his walking papers. Well, at least when they announced it. Despite the mediocrity of his successors, I still think it was necessary. He was just throwing anything at the wall by the end, hoping it would stick. I just wish FV had followed him.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6

Valerie has had minimal contact with the Spencers since the cheating story. So what was the point of making her a cousin? That story could have been written without the family connection.

She's posted at the hospital. Why hasn't she seen Lucas? Why hasn't Carly asked her to do some poking around into Joss's kidney woes? That's one reason the character doesn't work, IMO. The show gave her a family, but we never see her with them. We don't even get lip service that she has lunch with Bobbie every so often.

• Love 11

Relatedly, I thought it was weird Valerie and Griffin noted that they have Lucas in common when they met in scenes a week or so ago, given the zero interest the show has in Valerie being Lucas' cousin and in Griffin being Lucas' friend.

• Love 6

Well, even in the real world, there are bars, strip clubs, pizza parlors, and upscale restaurants that do brisk business and it's no secret in the local communities that the owners are connected or more.

The nicest thing to say about Valerie is that the actress, Brytni Sarpi, is really gorgeous, has a great smile, and can convey a basic niceness when the writing isn't horribly stacked against her. She's not good enough to turn junk into gold, but she isn't terrible either, by the daytime standards of pretty under-30 people. I've seen far worse on GH and on other soaps. She can hold her own with her most frequent scene partners. Something she does pretty well is flirtation; I'm thinking of scenes like the ones where she and Curtis are playing pool. So there are possibilities there.  

• Love 6

I honestly think that the idiots who came up with the insane Dante cheats with Valerie crap, thought it was a hot soapy story. That person is, of course, a moron. Why the hell every single soap genre writer isn't made to read Doug Marland's rules on soap writing is beyond me. 

Valerie's non Spencerness is just the easy issue with this show's writers. Nobody has any real family. When was the last time Lulu spent time with Liz and her boys? Or with Nik and Spencer? Why the fuck hasn't Maxie been all over her cousin Lucas and his rare plotlines? Why no toddler Georgie at his wedding? Fuck, just say that she was there (off screen) and with Felicia and Mac? Valerie should've been spending time with Carly, Bobbie, Lucas and Lulu. Not making cow eyes at Lulu's husband. Actively trying to implode a marriage. Which is not a good way to endear a new character to your audience. 

As far as this show goes, the only family that counts is the one named Corinthos.  The Qs are barely there. Even Michael isn't a real Q anymore. He is back to being Sonny's son. The Spencer's are in name only. The Jeromes? Ha! Both are about Sonny. Julian being the "bad guy" for Sonny and Ava is connected via Avery. The Qs? Tracy is stuck in being a side kick for the Pretty Princess and also for Dr. Michael Easton. Monica? Babysitter and occasionally at the hospital now. Dillon? Is now being set up a rival to Morgan Corinthos for Lauren. Ned? Would have to be on the show. And the fact that he barely said a word to Olivia happily raising Leo with Julian, after his family mother fucking LOST THEIR FAMILY BUSINESS to Nik was insane to me. 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, In2You said:

Working at the coffee shop isnt even a rel job. Cuz who's honestly going to a coffee shop every day they know is run by a crime family? And he did more messing around with Darby than actual work at the warehouse. 

Well, you know, the people of Port Charles are not really good at avoiding dangerous places/situations.  They keep showing up for events at Wyndemere and the Metro Court.  They hang out at the docks.  And they go to parties thrown by Sonny. I have no problem believing they'd all stop for coffee at SonnyBucks every morning. 

• Love 2

Re Valerie: I said whenever the last time was when I was caught up on the thread that she's about as much of a Spencer as Carly is, since except for scenes with Luke every three months she hardly ever spends time with her blood relatives. Not that that makes Val any less pointless as a character, especially when Show is bursting at the seams with people and yet they keep hiring and re-hiring. (hi, Michael Easton!) but her lack of family scenes is pretty low on my list of issues with her.

• Love 1

Now, as you may have gleamed from my various rants over the last few months, nothing would get me in the tank for Franco and Liz.  But I really just find the writing of this so gross.  Him barging in on her with a patient and refusing to leave even when she asks him to?  Him constantly barreling down any boundaries she tries to set up and getting in her face until he gets the answer he wants?  It's actually disturbing to me.  Also, Show?  For the last time - FRANCO IS NOT TODD, HE'S A SERIAL KILLER!!!

Everything involving the maybe Luke skeleton was so dumb.

• Love 14
48 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

her lack of family scenes is pretty low on my list of issues with her

Then why give her an onscreen family in the first place? That's my issue, and it's why I'm going to hate the inevitable Liz–Rebecca Hayden–are sisters reveal. It won't mean anything after the initial story.

• Love 2

I had to laugh at how nonchalant Kristina tried to play it when Sonny showed up at the door.

"Oh hey dad, this is just a friend's room that I just walked into a minute ago, what's up?"

Oh how I would have paid money to have Lulu walk into the room and put a bullet in Valentin's head.  Without preamble or long drawn out explanations or none of the guards disarming her. Or her tripping on her feet.  Or Dante warning her to be careful (all of which will happen tomorrow, i'm sure)

Just:

Valentin:  "Which one of you do I kill first?"

Lulu:  <shot to the head>  "You..... bitch." 

End scene

• Love 11

Today on Paraphrase Hospital:

Parker:  We can't be together

Kris: What did I do wrong

Parker:  I've liked you from the beginning, maybe we can work something out

Me:  Wait.  What?  

Franco:  Oh Liz, I don't care that you're working and we're in a patient's room and it's completely unprofessional but I'm worse than a teenage girl so did you agree to go on a date with me.  Did you, did you, did you, did you, did you.  I'm totally not messing up the boundaries you set up for me or being all creepy or anything.  This is completely how the writers want to portray me.  

Kris  Oh hey dad, this is just the room of a friend that I met for breakfast

Sonny;  We're you and that much older woman kissing?

Kris: I don't know if that makes me gay.    Will you hate me because I'm gay?

Sonny;  Dude you just said you didn't know if you were or not.  

Dante;  <disarms Valentin and has a gun on him>

Ava:  It's no use Dante, the guards will kill us

Me:  Uhm, not if he kills their leader.  I'm pretty sure they'll turn themselves in to save their butts

Dante:  Ok, here's your gun back Valentin

Me:  Wait.  What?

• Love 11
(edited)

Wow, it didn't take long for Naomi to get discharged, dressed, and up to wherever Heather is held. She must have gotten a map of the wormholes when she arrived in town.

The Valentin story is so, so dumb.

Oh, crap, Sam faints tomorrow. Pregnant?

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

Or a diversion?  No, that would require intelligence.  I know, how about from the stench of the clothes she and Jason have been wearing for more than a month now. 

• Love 10
(edited)
18 hours ago, stlbf said:

*sigh* stupid phone

So it isn't the idea that is the problem, it is the stupid hack writers and idiots in charge?

The idea of Valerie was fine. It is the fact that the morons in charge screwed over the character. 

Emphatically so.  First the writers totally failed to develop and integrate Valerie as a character before throwing her into a badly-conceived, plot-pointed triangle with a popular couple played by well-established characters and actors.  Then, if a normally reliable source is right and the "morons in charge" tried to build a network-mandated diversity story on this ill-conceived triangle and this poorly-developed character, those same morons screwed up even more.  Not only did they try to build the story on a character they had totally failed to develop, they also totally effed up when they made Valerie their "truth teller" to remind Lulu of the "mistakes" she made.  (All "mistakes" the writers later had Lulu "own.")

Regardless of whether the "mistakes" were real or significant, on what planet is the other woman sympathetic when she points out the wronged wife's wrongs TO the wronged wife?? !!  Duh!!  You'd almost think the morons didn't want the story to work.  Or are they that inept?  This story and the writing for this character have become case studies of what NOT to do. 

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 4

Previews...shut up, Sonny.  His tone is so angry about whether she would have told him about her sexuality.  She gets to decide when or even if she comes out to you, dillhole.  On the flip side, why would Parker tell Alexis about her night with Kristina?

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ulkis said:

Valerie was screwed over from the start. The writers could make her as sympathetic as possible (and they tried, imo, but being hacks, they missed the mark by a mile) but if you have a character who, previous to her appearance, was the show's best partner/husband/whatever, sleep with her, it's pretty much a set-up for failure. I mean, this is pretty much my own thought process:

rational brain: Valerie slept with a man she had feelings for and was kind to her, when she was in a bad place herself.

irrational brain: ugh, character who reminds me of the storyline that ruined my favorite character.

speaking of, yesterday was the year anniversary of the day the writer that started that shit story was given his walking papers. Well, at least when they announced it. Despite the mediocrity of his successors, I still think it was necessary. He was just throwing anything at the wall by the end, hoping it would stick. I just wish FV had followed him.

Ah, your rational brain and irrational brain speak very well to what I watched happening ... and still see happening. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

I am getting a bad feeling that AG may be back to eat the show.

Well, the plus is that this current version of the show could give him serious indigestion.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Well, even in the real world, there are bars, strip clubs, pizza parlors, and upscale restaurants that do brisk business and it's no secret in the local communities that the owners are connected or more.

The nicest thing to say about Valerie is that the actress, Brytni Sarpi, is really gorgeous, has a great smile, and can convey a basic niceness when the writing isn't horribly stacked against her. She's not good enough to turn junk into gold, but she isn't terrible either, by the daytime standards of pretty under-30 people. I've seen far worse on GH and on other soaps. She can hold her own with her most frequent scene partners. Something she does pretty well is flirtation; I'm thinking of scenes like the ones where she and Curtis are playing pool. So there are possibilities there.  

I agree - there are possibilities. And, while not overly strong, she is definitely better than some others - including some with more experience.  An actor acquaintance has spoken about seeing potential in her - potential that could be honed in more scenes, especially with good actors and some decent writing.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Here's a question - where does Valerie live?  At Carly's old house with Bobbie?

I suppose so.  We don't really know and the small amount of screen time and dialogue she has been given aren't about her - but are about other characters and their stories.  Hey, even her grad party was Curtis's story - not hers.  So details like where she lives are unlikely to come up.

Edited by Aurora2

Or a diversion?  No, that would require intelligence.  I know, how about from the stench of the clothes she and Jason have been wearing for more than a month now. 

Altitude sickness from her ridiculous heels?  Let's hope anything other than another unnecessary baby.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Previews...shut up, Sonny.  His tone is so angry about whether she would have told him about her sexuality.  She gets to decide when or even if she comes out to you, dillhole.  On the flip side, why would Parker tell Alexis about her night with Kristina?

Because Alexis and Parker are the same age?

I actually think Parker is attractive in an angular way, but somebody had to say it.

• Love 1

Elizabeth and Franco continue to charm me. 

The Franco and Heather scenes were good.

The Finn and Hayden scenes are good until he starts being a jerk every five minutes.

I didn't think I'd care about Hayden and Liz's potential relationship, but I like the way they are weaving Naomi/Heather/Jeff/Raymond/Hayden/Liz/Franco all together. It's got my attention for now. The Naomi actress has really grown on me.

Why does Kristina have to talk to her father about her sexuality and sex life one foot away from the tangled sheets where she had sex with Parker? Alluding to it would have been fine, but outright telling him that she had sex with Parker last night, and then Sonny looking at the bed....Eeek! Call me old-fashioned, but why can't they both pretend that neither of them has sex? That's what healthy parent-child relationships are about.

Cassadine Island was okay. Surprised they let anyone but Jason and Sam get one over on Valentin. Good for Lulu. 

• Love 7
On 7/24/2016 at 1:45 PM, stlbf said:

The only thing with Sarah was that she was always cast as a literal golden child. Tall, blonde, pretty and smart like her doctor parents. Which was why Liz always had a pretty bad case of sibling inferiority complex when she first came to town. She grew up feeling second best with her "perfect" sister and brother. They looked perfect to her. They had straight As in school, never caused trouble and were very easy to raise.

But Sarah and Liz seem to have got past over everything. Last I remember,  Sarah was living in California.  Because I remember Liz taking the boys and even Spencer to visit her. I think that she is also married. But I'm not 100% on that. 

So I just don't think that I could buy RBU as Sarah. Me? I still think that it would've been better to make her Liz and Sarah's cousin. Making RBU the daughter of an unknown aunt or uncle to them. Via their unnamed mother.

As for the Cassadine stuff, what a disappointing disaster! Valentin is just a whiner? This is the man who made Helena fearful? Meh. So far, this storyline is just a joke.

There was no need to connect Hayden to the show when she is not needed, IMO.  We already have two popular characters in Elizabeth and Sam in that age bracket.  We need MORE hot men in the 35 to 40ish age range that are not serial killers, mobsters or thugs.

• Love 2
On 7/22/2016 at 10:59 PM, P3pp3rb1rd said:

Rebu has a FOUR YEAR DEAL when so many of the talented/experienced vets like Lucy, Scott, Monica, Tracy, Bobbie, and Laura are barely seen? Hayden's character is constantly changing (nympho to con artist to  coma victim to abused wife to abandoned single wife to addict's health care provider...). REBU doesn't act--she REACTS, depending on her character's current circumstances. Her hair hangs in her eyes, her eyes shift back and forth, she's jerky and watchful. She is a mess. There is nothing special about the actress...she just reacts obediently to the basic script. She isn't memorable in her expressions or voice or body language. She's cautious and therefore intensely boring. Are they gonna let her learn "on the job" over a period of four years? WHAT A STUPID IDEA! Show either needs to hire real talent in the younger non-vets or give the time and budget to the vets who have proven they can bring it.

This is all on FV and his building a mega soap with popular actors/characters from the other soap operas.  I swear FV was not this big of a fucking mess when he was EP at OLTL.  How many actors has this man hired in the last four years?!  I saw a tweeted picture over the weekend that had Valentini's ark where he asked for FIVE Michael Easton's!  If I had my way, FV's expensive pets would be gone and replaced with vets and their offsprings.

• Love 3
On 7/24/2016 at 0:34 AM, TessHarding2 said:

I just took a look at Friday's show.  Not to worry, that's the GH shoulder wound.  Lots of blood followed up by an arm sling for a week.  I don't know the backstory with Kristina and the woman, but that actress just looks and sounds like teenager.  She was terrible with Ethan.  I don't know why they brought her back.  What wigged me out was Ashley Jones - former lover of Jack Wagner in real life.  What if Kristina Wagner was on the set?  I'm kidding but it's far more interesting to me than this crapola.

Woah.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Darklazr said:

There was no need to connect Hayden to the show when she is not needed, IMO.  We already have two popular characters in Elizabeth and Sam in that age bracket.  We need MORE hot men in the 35 to 40ish age range that are not serial killers, mobsters or thugs.

In my book, family connections are great. But are useless if they don't use or acknowledge them. Which is a big part of this show's problems. But as we are probably stuck with Hayden, so you might as well make the most of it.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Oh, ask anyone, I have long advocated for Cam to be SORASed.  But still, I like the idea of the show introducing a young teen Webber through Sarah and Liz being her Audrey.  Certainly makes more sense than fuckin' Felix's little sister. #eyeroll

Sarah and Lucky had an affair that could have produced a teen back in 2002.  Never mind.  Lucky can't even be bothered to raise Cam, Jake and Aiden.

4 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Now, as you may have gleamed from my various rants over the last few months, nothing would get me in the tank for Franco and Liz.  But I really just find the writing of this so gross.  Him barging in on her with a patient and refusing to leave even when she asks him to?  Him constantly barreling down any boundaries she tries to set up and getting in her face until he gets the answer he wants?  It's actually disturbing to me.  Also, Show?  For the last time - FRANCO IS NOT TODD, HE'S A SERIAL KILLER!!!

Everything involving the maybe Luke skeleton was so dumb.

Preach.  FV is determined that YOU will love Franco and if Elizabeth/BH has to prop his ass, so be it!  I want Elizabeth away from this crap and trying to find out what happened to Jake when he came home, last year!

• Love 5
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Thorpe said:

Eeek! Call me old-fashioned, but why can't they both pretend that neither of them has sex?

MTE!

When this Liz/Franco thing first started I was honestly afraid I was going to end up shipping them because RoHo and BH had real chem. But this story is so fucking bad and the chem has become so unbelievably forced. I hate it.

The Naomi/Liz scenes were actually pretty good. I like Naomi a lot. At first I thought they were alluding to Jeff being Hayden's real dad but now I'm thinking maybe somehow Naomi is Liz's real mom.

The Cassadine stuff is so stupid and it's not fun anymore either. I go back and forth between finding Valentin ridiculously boring and ridiculously funny. 

I have nothing to say about anything else tbh.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6

"I have nothing to say about anything else tbh."

not even Lulu finding a what? Watch? Bracelet? And ring on a skeleton and presuming it belongs to Luke? And that he somehow ended up dead in the tunnels?  And TAKING it off the skeleton???? EWWWW!

• Love 1
Just now, Sake614 said:

not even Lulu finding a what? Watch? Bracelet? And ring on a skeleton and presuming it belongs to Luke? And that he somehow ended up dead in the tunnels?  And TAKING it off the skeleton???? EWWWW!

That was so stupid on so many different levels that I've chosen to forget it happened.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Lillybee said:

I am getting a bad feeling that AG may be back to eat the show.lulu

My worst nightmare. Surely the jewelry is circumstantial evidence.Why didn't Lulu check to see if the skeleton had Q-tip tufts of white hair?

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That coffee shop is owned by the hero of Port Charles how dare you!

How soon will we be seeing the SonnyBucks site for mob shootouts or as the new  place near the docs for crime in PC?

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Thorpe said:

Why does Kristina have to talk to her father about her sexuality and sex life one foot away from the tangled sheets where she had sex with Parker? Alluding to it would have been fine, but outright telling him that she had sex with Parker last night, and then Sonny looking at the bed....Eeek! Call me old-fashioned, but why can't they both pretend that neither of them has sex? That's what healthy parent-child relationships are about.

Sonny has a lot of chutzpah grilling Krissy about sex at the Metro after he and Ava were doing the nasty in a graveyard/crypt. Too bad she can't point that out to Daddy Dearest.

Yet again, one of the Corinthii parents is snooping into an offspring's lovelife. Sonny's reaction so far to Krissy's apparent same-sex attraction seems to amount to "Oy vey".

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
(edited)

Of course Sonny talking to Kristina is about him needing to know what's going on. Ugh. And I wish he'd dial back the aggression. He's talking to his daughter, not grilling someone's henchman. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

...nothing would get me in the tank for Franco and Liz.  But I really just find the writing of this so gross.  Him barging in on her with a patient and refusing to leave even when she asks him to?  Him constantly barreling down any boundaries she tries to set up and getting in her face until he gets the answer he wants?  It's actually disturbing to me.

Franco is a petulant stalking adolescent to Liez these days. To deepen the impression, he goes to Mommy (Heather) for dating funds and advice. It's silly and boring. Now the Show is trying to work Naomi (and thus Hayden) into their story. Couldn't interest me less.

• Love 3

Heh.  I forgot Jason and Sam were there.

The Cassadine Island story does leave something to be desired (pacing ... an actual sense of tension...)  but I'm okay with it.  Genie has actually been on almost every day for the past couple of weeks.  With Kevin!  Which makes me smile. 

Luke who?

• Love 7

I ain't gonna lie: I'm super charmed by Hayden/Finn. 

Also, I'm going to stop worrying about "Franco being a serial killer/evil do-er/Satan-in-training" and just go with idea that Franco is just a son of Scotty's who is a mostly reformed criminal.  Hey it's worked for Sonny, Duke, Jason and even Ric.  So Liz/Franco is all right by me.

prepares for fiery dissent

• Love 9
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

MTE!

When this Liz/Franco thing first started I was honestly afraid I was going to end up shipping them because RoHo and BH had real chem. But this story is so fucking bad and the chem has become so unbelievably forced. I hate it.

The Naomi/Liz scenes were actually pretty good. I like Naomi a lot. At first I thought they were alluding to Jeff being Hayden's real dad but now I'm thinking maybe somehow Naomi is Liz's real mom.

But that doesn't make sense. Since she just pretty announced to us that Hayden/Rachel isn't Raymond Berlin's child, that she is Jeff Webber's offspring.  My bet is that Naomi is telling Heather not to spill the beans to Franco or Liz the truth about Rachel's/Hayden's parentage. Maybe it affects her access to her money or whatever leverage she has over Mr. Berlin  or whoever. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MostlyC said:

I ain't gonna lie: I'm super charmed by Hayden/Finn. 

Also, I'm going to stop worrying about "Franco being a serial killer/evil do-er/Satan-in-training" and just go with idea that Franco is just a son of Scotty's who is a mostly reformed criminal.  Hey it's worked for Sonny, Duke, Jason and even Ric.  So Liz/Franco is all right by me.

prepares for fiery dissent

I can put aside everything Franco has done, Liz is no saint herself - but I can't forgive how unattractive and old he looks. It's super shallow, but I don't care. He looks mid fifties and Liz looks early thirties - a haircut and pairing him with someone that isn't such a babyface would help. Same with Finn, looks old af. Older men with younger women is something I see enough of in real life - it's not what I watch soaps for. I want to see attractive people falling in and out of love with each other. Not creeping up on someone like a crazed stalker to discuss a date while in the presence of a patient.

Sonny snarking that Parker is much older than Kristina was golden.

• Love 2

The Sonny/Kristina scenes today were definitely a long time coming, but I agree with whoever said they felt weirded out that they talked right in the room where Kristina had sex the other night. 

• Love 2