Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

The Seattle couple was a breath of fresh air with few demands other than a 3-car garage and a short commute for him by public transportation.

I was so ticked off after that episode. Of course that house was the best choice but the voiceover kept telling us how far it was from the bus stop. But it's perfect! But it's so far! Will he make the sacrifice for his family???

Pretty convenient that they tell us after the fact that there's a closer bus, and... ... ...it's an EXPRESS! Right to his office!

• Love 2

I also enjoyed the Seattle couple  Very sweet, and I love episodes that have cute babies and toddlers.  I liked all 3 of the houses. Although the ranch was on a busy street, it had so much room, and was set far back enough with a nice backyard that I think it could have worked.  I think they did pretty well for having a $600K budget.  I think that is a pretty competitive market, so I wouldn't have been surprised if they had to pay much more for what they were looking for.  I also liked how the wife said she loves shoes since she didn't have shoes in Kenya!  Regarding the bus-stop, couldn't the wife drive him to the bus-stop and pick him up?  That is still more environmentally friendly than him driving his own car every day.

• Love 2

This afternoon I watched an episode for the first time in probably a year - and it reminded me why I only watch HHInternational.

Couple in Charlotte NC looking for their first house.  She's pregnant and, I missed the first part, they kept talking about Levi who I assumed was their son.  Turns out Levi was the dog.

Anyway, it was all about what she wanted - mainly the area.  She wouldn't compromise on the area - no mention of jobs, commute, etc so not sure why she had to have this area.

Of course had to have granite, wood floors, etc.  When they saw carpet in a bedroom it was we'll have to rip this out right away.

If this couple is still married in 5 years, I'd be shocked.

I deleted the Savannah couple and the Houston couple pretty much right away. I can't even remember what irked me about the Savannah couple, but the Houston folks had to go after he said "mancave." That's a non-starter for me. They and their houses looked boring anyway.

• Love 1

I watched an episode a while back where a couple was nervous about buying a home because it was close to a police precinct.  In the end, they purchased that house and became friends with many of the cops.  

That was the only time (at least for me) that I saw a couple thinking about crime.  I've never heard anybody ask the realtor what the crime statistics are in said neighborhood.  That probably wouldn't make for an interesting show, but I have wondered about it.

I would love to see someone, when confronted with a large kitchen or bathroom, exclaim, "too big, I don't want to have to clean all this."  

I had to laugh at the Cincinnati episode. It was like textbook HH! Within the first segment, the girlfriend was saying that stainless appliances and granite countertops were must-haves, going on about her need for tons of closets for her clothes, wanting a "grand' entryway to impress visitors, despising carpet and needing dark-wood hardwood floors. The guy was angsting about the neighbors being able to overlook their yard. My favorite non-sequitur was when she said, "We do a lot of cooking, so we have to have stainless appliances." Excuse me? Where's the connection? Great cooks all around the world have been making do with non-stainless appliances for centuries.

It makes me wonder if this show is becoming almost a parody of itself. Like  couples who apply to be on are simply repeating what they've heard from watching the show.

When it came down to it, the Cincinnati couple had actually purchased a house with Formica countertops, white appliances, older cabinets, and a yard that was not completely screened. But they sure had that script ready for the alleged must-have list from the start of the show. It's pretty silly that the show sets up these false notions of what people need today.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 2

Peggy06, I had to laugh when they walked into the house that was only 1500 square feet and she proclaimed it had a "grand entrance".  You walked right into a living room with a tall ceiling, nothing grand about it.  Yes, I noticed that the kitchen was mostly the same when they showed the reveal at the end.  Guess they must be eating out a lot since she can't cook on white appliances.  As for the yard, plant some hedges that grow tall and then your neighbors won't be looking into your backyard all the time. 

• Love 2

Agree, the Cinci couple received the HH memo and then some!  Yep, she cited s/s as a cooking necessity.  Huh?  Since when? 

Cinci gf took the whole closet routine to even higher heights.  (Scary b/c that means she may not have been reciting a line!)  She demanded 4, count 'em, four closets, meaning a closet for each and every season.

IMHO she came off as a tad desperate, mentioning her lack of a ring.  He didn't seem like some great prize.  He was trying to act like a huge flipper/RE expert but flopped, IMHO.

Good thing Cinci bf received the other part of the script:  she received her ring during the final scene, the standard housewarming party.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

In the episode a couple of nights ago about the couple moving from North Carolina to California, a HH finally said what I have been saying for years.  When told that the house they were about to see had 4 or 5 bedrooms (I forget how many) and was only about 1500 sf, he asked how that was possible in such a small space.  Finally, a buyer with some understanding of what can be expected of 1500 sf of living area.  I hope his job transfer was worth that move because even if he received a larger salary, it was probably eaten up with the cost of living in California as opposed to North Carolina.  The yard of the house they chose was pretty nice looking.    

I wanted to like tonight's Chicago ep--I wanted to like Mary just for looking like a normal person. But the phobia about a master bedroom being too close to the kitchen? What was that? (Besides producer shenanigans, of course.) Her allergies that would attack if she was anywhere near carpeting--mysteriously disappeared when they moved into the house with carpet downstairs. And Show, if people can afford a 500K house, please do not make me hate you by implying that carpeting can't be replaced. I did love the last scene, though, when MJ and Mary were entertaining in their fabulous new kitchen and MJ brings in a handful of hotdogs he grilled (without tasty grill marks) on his brand new shiny gas grill. There's nothing else on the counter--no buns, veg, nothing--maybe they couldn't afford anything else?

• Love 2

WRT the Chicago episode, I think the reason they both wanted the MBR to be away from the kitchen is because he has to get up around 3:30 to go to work and it was a noise factor.  That 1500 sf high rise was a no go if they plan to have children soon.  With 3 dogs and a child, it would be too small ver quickly.  Guess she didn't have an allergy to dog hair.  Maybe since the carpet was new, there was no dust or animal dander in it from previous residents.  Did anyone notice that the dishwasher was not located in the island cabinets where the sink was?  It was at the end of the wall cabinets and I think that would be a problem with water dripping on the floor from dishes that you might rinse first at the sink.  All in all, they got a very large house that they can stay in for a while.     

I normally gravitate towards HHI these days; so God knows what prompted me to do a HH drive-by with that Chi-town couple.  Did I hear correctly -- the wife took a look at some walls and declared "This coloration is bad for my allergies"  Huh???

In the episode a couple of nights ago about the couple moving from North Carolina to California, a HH finally said what I have been saying for years.  When told that the house they were about to see had 4 or 5 bedrooms (I forget how many) and was only about 1500 sf, he asked how that was possible in such a small space.  Finally, a buyer with some understanding of what can be expected of 1500 sf of living area.  I hope his job transfer was worth that move because even if he received a larger salary, it was probably eaten up with the cost of living in California as opposed to North Carolina.  The yard of the house they chose was pretty nice looking.    

I heard that comment, too, laredhead, as they entered the first home and had high hopes for those two.  Alas, my hopes were dashed;  they turned out to be same-old, same-old, moaning and groaning about their 3,000 s.f. home in NC constantly until literally the last line they uttered.

That episode, IMHO, truly demonstrated the value of a view.  The house, to me, was meh but it had a nice yard with a terrific mountain view.

Those little boys were dolls.  I naturally wondered if the older boy lived with them full-time - perhaps they didn't need that many bedrooms.  IIRC, they ended up with only 3.

Farm animals in suburbia??  I am aware of some horse country around there.  Naturally, no such animals were on hand when they shot the reveal, supposed some time later, lol.  Whatever, people!

Edited by aguabella

The husband said that the 13 (?) year old boy lived with them and his daughter was away at college, but would visit.  The view from that house was very nice and with a lot of windows across the back of the house, it would go a long way to make up for a so-so house.  She mentioned wanting to have peacocks in addition to a goat or two, but in the city where I live, peacocks and pea hens are forbidden because of the deafening and annoying noise they make.  Roosters are also not allowed, but backyard chickens can be kept because they are quiet.  Unless they moved to a rural area with no zoning, she probably wasn't going to be able to have any of those animals on her property.   

• Love 1

Ugh, the Florida-to-Arizona episode! I've never been quite sure when people here talked about vocal fry, but as soon as the wife started talking, I think I found it. And all she did was complain, complain, complain about the lack of green. Yeah, I think it would bother me too, but get over it - you are living there now, and it's expensive as well as wasteful to insist on recreating a green landscape. Then she complained about the gate and fence enclosing the pool. Um, you have a small child. It's for safety. She really got on my nerves. And the husband, again with the stainless appliance mantra. What is so all-fired special about a stainless finish on a refrigerator or stove? I get wanting to change if you had mismatched appliances, but why is stainless the ne plus ultra?

I think the house they chose was the best of the three, but I didn't care for their decor. And I don't really get what's wrong with light wood kitchen cabinets. It's a common theme on this show. Everybody wants to rip them out or paint over them. Maybe I'm old-school, but I would not paint over finished wood. Decorate around them, I say.

• Love 1
(edited)

The husband said that the 13 (?) year old boy lived with them and his daughter was away at college, but would visit.  The view from that house was very nice and with a lot of windows across the back of the house, it would go a long way to make up for a so-so house.  She mentioned wanting to have peacocks in addition to a goat or two, but in the city where I live, peacocks and pea hens are forbidden because of the deafening and annoying noise they make.  Roosters are also not allowed, but backyard chickens can be kept because they are quiet.  Unless they moved to a rural area with no zoning, she probably wasn't going to be able to have any of those animals on her property.   

Thanks, laredhead.  Yes, I heard them say the 13yo boy lives with them but I take everything said on reality TV with less than a grain of salt.  They probably had to get permission from their exes to move the 3 kids out of NC.  In many if not most states, it's my understanding that the courts still tend to favor mothers WRT custody.  (Yes, there's joint physical and legal but at the end of the day, most kids probably still live with Mom.)  And, I suspect 13yo's might not care to change schools to live with and probably babysit (!) a couple of younger boys.  So, that's where I was coming from.  Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Besides that, I figured tptb had them state he lived with them to set up the drama over the number of bedrooms.  For the reasons indicated above, I wasn't surprised when they ended up with only 3, lol!  Likewise, the farm animal routine allowed them to film the cute scenes with the younger boys at the petting zoo.  Again, no surprise when no animal was in sight during the later (or not, hahaha) final scene.

Incidentally, the 13yo wasn't in the last shots at the park, playing soccer with the little ones.  Well, what 13yo would want to, right?

Edited by aguabella

It was a joke.

That woman must have been an undercover professional comedian, lol, because she really "got" the ridiculous producer-driven drivel these people are required to parrot/come up with.

That woman must have been an undercover professional comedian, lol, because she really "got" the ridiculous producer-driven drivel these people are required to parrot/come up with.

I didn't say it was a funny joke or that all of her comments were a joke but she and her husband immediately started laughing after she stated that the pattern was bad for her allergies, I thought it was clear that she intended it to be a joke.

Well, it's finally happened.  A single man looking for a home Palm Springs for him and his "Golden Boys", said that he didn't want granite because he thinks it's dated.

• Love 3

Next week, House Hunters will be a series of "Where Are They Now" episodes featuring former HH's and what they changed in their houses after they bought them.  The TV listing indicates all are new episodes and they air each night at 9:00 (central time), Monday through Friday.  Set your recorders.

• Love 1

I liked the Providence, RI episode. I wasn't thrilled with their choice but they had a plan of what they wanted, which seemed to be income property. But I thought the house in the suburbs was really wonderful. It was an old house but seemed to be updated in a nice way. It didn't seem to have any oddities that would irk me, which a lot of redone houses have. Hated the church condo so glad they didn't choose it. 

Not personally informed about Providence RE but know someone who's from there - emphasis on from, lol!  From what she's mentioned, I believe location might be even more important than usual in Providence.  Noticed it seemed to be the guy's (a native) top wish list item.

Given that, I was concerned about the extremely low price/sq. ft. of the income property and its location over the bridge in "East" Providence.  Also, they seemed a little too cavalier about their first experience as landlords.  The guy said, "Tenants equal income".  Agreed, we hope that's the normal state of affairs.

The first property was occupied so not available but the last 2 looked like flips.  Tells us the investors have (probably) already realized that initial, major equity bump.  With their 2 incomes and reasonable budget, I'm sure they'll be fine.  

Not too surprised that the investor simply left the stove hookup and installed the cheap, butcher block counter in the butler's pantry.  Always cheaper to retain the previous configuration, updating in place, if necessary. 

And, hopefully the first tenant installs a stove and leaves it when they vacate.  (Someone might have run out of reno budget at that point in time, lol.)  Well, at least they painted and added the stock bead board!

Their unit was only a small apartment so a tenant could simply add a cheap, rolling island plus their table and chairs in the corner to finish out the kitchen.  Based on the size of the job completed and finishes selected, bet the investor never expected an owner to occupy that space!  

Can already see these 2 moving in a few years to a single family home when their first child is either on the way or planned, retaining that place as an investment.  For one thing, depending on the local economy at that time, it could be difficult to unload.

Didn't sound as if they were considering resale options when they mentioned that "tenants equal income"!

All JMHO, as usual.

The Where Are They Now episodes were listed as new but I could swear that at least with the Firehouse couple there was no new footage (maybe the back patio but I definitely remember the studio, the kitchen, the living room and bedroom) and maybe the only thing on the beach house was the addition to the deck and maybe the exterior paint color because I definitely remember that kitchen.

• Love 1

The Where Are They Now episodes were listed as new but I could swear that at least with the Firehouse couple there was no new footage (maybe the back patio but I definitely remember the studio, the kitchen, the living room and bedroom) and maybe the only thing on the beach house was the addition to the deck and maybe the exterior paint color because I definitely remember that kitchen.

IMHO, you're correct, biakbiak.  The networks / production companies frequently repackage previously aired footage, assigning it new episode number(s), designating it as "new" for TV guide purposes.  In addition, the production companies routinely shoot far more footage than originally required so tptb can easily edit the material differently. 

For WATN, HGTV uses a 2-1-1 format, airing 2 segments for one of the locations.  If desired, they simply reorder the cities to create new episodes.  Or, utilizing previously unaired footage, they can increase a previously aired WATN from 1 segment for a particular city to 2.

The news magazine "60 Minutes" is a prime example of this.  Each summer they take vacation and/or travel, shooting material for the upcoming season.  In the meantime, they repackage / reorder previously aired segments, occasionally updating them with 1-2 minutes of either new commentary or previously unaired footage but rarely any new material, assigning them new episode numbers and designating them as "new" for TV guide purposes. 

HGTV has occasionally, rarely, edited previously aired episodes from 30 minutes to 1 hour, if/when the popularity of a series warrants such a change.  That's how much unaired footage they have readily available, in the can.  When you consider that they shoot at least 5 full days for a 30 minute episode, it's not surprising.

WRT the WATN episode you mentioned, biakbiak, I doubt they shot new material.  Happened to notice that they aired shots of Michelle's (the Austin realtor) old home, i.e. not her downsized Austin home.  Given that Michelle's a HH frequent flyer, we know that she subsequently, supposedly moved.  Tells us that was old, in the can footage, IMHO.  Wasn't Michelle's vacation home 2 segments?  Nice marketing / promotion for her, right?

They have many options to fill their 20+ hours of daily programming.  Personally, I wish they'd return to some of their roots, abandoning the marathon format, most of RETV and their reality television emphasis.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling that won't happen until something freezes over! 

All JMHO, as usual.

Edited by aguabella

Yes, I am aware that networks repackage but in the past alll of the WATN episodes did contain new material which is why I liked watching to see what people had done for the renovations.

• Love 3

Yes, I am aware that networks repackage but in the past alll of the WATN episodes did contain new material which is why I liked watching to see what people had done for the renovations.

Agree, I believe it was the first time they've repackaged on WATN.

I apologize if you were already aware of their production methods;  your previous post didn't mention repackaging.  Other posters might be interested to hear how the sausage is made.  If not, ignore my blathering, lol!

Edited by aguabella

Okay, show you might have broken me! I have survived: man caves, scrapbooking rooms, tea rooms, and many other bullshit rooms these HH seem to think are necessary but a "wedding paraphenalia" room destroyed my soul.

• Love 7

Biakbiak, I agree about the wedding paraphenalia room.  I recorded the episode and reran that part twice.  Once they have kids that dress will be packed away and that room will become a toy storage area, with the proper safety barriers to keep the little darlings from jumping over the railings and landing in the living room below. 

Okay, show you might have broken me! I have survived: man caves, scrapbooking rooms, tea rooms, and many other bullshit rooms these HH seem to think are necessary but a "wedding paraphenalia" room destroyed my soul.

WHAT?!?!?!  You don't have a "wedding paraphernalia" room?  What kind of person are you?

My "wedding paraphernalia" room consists of memories of my ex sitting on the couch watching Honey Boo Boo while eating cheese doodles.

• Love 3

WHAT?!?!?! You don't have a "wedding paraphernalia" room? What kind of person are you?

My "wedding paraphernalia" room consists of memories of my ex sitting on the couch watching Honey Boo Boo while eating cheese doodles.

I told my mother about the room who has two children in long-term committed relationships but neither of us are married and now she wants to go on HH and have a "mother of the bride room" that is just empty. This a joke my mother would never go on HH Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Chester County, PA episode. I thought the wife must be joking, sending up the show, she was so demanding. "We need four bedrooms" - not the usual guest room, kids' rooms, etc. She wanted a separate one for her clothes, one for her office, and one for her husband's hockey gear IIRC. The house they chose was nice, I loved the huge windows in the living room area. But teh staircase just sitting out in the middle of that area looked weird, too modern, and somehow unfinished. Also, what's so wrong with lighter-colored wood floors? Those floors looked good IMO, and putting in darker ones will be too dark if they keep those walls white. The current scheme makes the whole downstairs look light and airy. Dark stain on floors is just another of those trends people seem to want because it's in.

She says "I'm sorry, I can't hear you because of all the street noise" as the camera pans to the street where ONE FREAKING CAR GOES SLOWLY BY! What the .....?

I think they were in Downingtown, which is ... not known for being a bustling metropolis. It's not like they were on Market St. in Philly.

Not personally informed about Providence RE but know someone who's from there - emphasis on from, lol!  From what she's mentioned, I believe location might be even more important than usual in Providence.  Noticed it seemed to be the guy's (a native) top wish list item.

My brother went to college in Providence and I have a coworker who's from there. My coworker is in her mid-forties and said when she was growing up, it was a "hole." My brother did a lot of volunteering and would talk about some iffy areas. I liked the RI couple, but I agree that if they want to expand their family they'll want to move. And I was with her on wanting a dining room.

Today I watched an ep set in Baltimore. The couple ended up picking a single-family home with no central air, but I adored the third home they saw: a brick row home with lots of charm. Gorgeous floors, claw foot tub, fireplace. I think there were built-ins. I'm from Philly and grew up in a single-family home, but row homes are near and dear to my heart.

Edited by Empress1

House Hunters was smart enough to wait until the end of the episode to reveal the "wedding paraphernalia room", because I would have deleted the episode immediately if that was to be the central theme. I'm sure she loves it, but it seems really self indulgent and obnoxious to me. 

• Love 1

There was a new episode on last night about a couple buying in Phoenix and they wanted a yard with grass and trees.  They were downsizing from a 3000 sf house to a 1500 or 1600 sf house because they wanted a shorter commute to work. Of course, it was the usual drama that their furniture wouldn't fit such small rooms, he needed a home office, she needed a room to practice dancing and they wanted all of this in a house half the size of where they were living.  The realtor did keep reminding them that their goal was to downsize.   I understand that part of the "plot", but wanting grass and trees in an area where water is an issue seems a bit odd.  When in Rome, as they say; embrace the desert landscape.  Desert landscaping is not my first choice, but I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time and money trying to keep a lawn green in a desert area.  

Also, the DVR episode guide indicated the show was going to be about an airline pilot who was looking for a "captain's house" in Orlando, but I had never seen the Phoenix episode and the DVR said it was first shown on 3/15/15.  National TV Guide indicated it was to be an episode of Caribbean Life.  I guess the Ides of March had everyone confused.        

• Love 1

There was a new episode on last night about a couple buying in Phoenix and they wanted a yard with grass and trees.  They were downsizing from a 3000 sf house to a 1500 or 1600 sf house because they wanted a shorter commute to work. Of course, it was the usual drama that their furniture wouldn't fit such small rooms, he needed a home office, she needed a room to practice dancing and they wanted all of this in a house half the size of where they were living.  The realtor did keep reminding them that their goal was to downsize.   I understand that part of the "plot", but wanting grass and trees in an area where water is an issue seems a bit odd.  When in Rome, as they say; embrace the desert landscape.  Desert landscaping is not my first choice, but I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time and money trying to keep a lawn green in a desert area.  

Also, the DVR episode guide indicated the show was going to be about an airline pilot who was looking for a "captain's house" in Orlando, but I had never seen the Phoenix episode and the DVR said it was first shown on 3/15/15.  National TV Guide indicated it was to be an episode of Caribbean Life.  I guess the Ides of March had everyone confused.        

Definitely agree about the desert landscapes, laredhead.  The alternatives can be gorgeous in their own way.  Many cities offer incentives to go with artificial or xeriscaping.  Sometimes I get the impression that certain desert homeowners demand grass and trees as status symbols.  Don't know, however ...

BTW, HH doesn't typically show new episodes on Sunday, according to my dvr so ???   I do remember the Phoenix episode from some time ago.  The website lists it as S87.  Currently, they're airing S98.  Yep, Ides of March, lol!

Edited by aguabella

My brother went to college in Providence and I have a coworker who's from there. My coworker is in her mid-forties and said when she was growing up, it was a "hole." My brother did a lot of volunteering and would talk about some iffy areas. I liked the RI couple, but I agree that if they want to expand their family they'll want to move. And I was with her on wanting a dining room.

Today I watched an ep set in Baltimore. The couple ended up picking a single-family home with no central air, but I adored the third home they saw: a brick row home with lots of charm. Gorgeous floors, claw foot tub, fireplace. I think there were built-ins. I'm from Philly and grew up in a single-family home, but row homes are near and dear to my heart.

Thanks for the Providence info.  Always appreciate confirmation, Empress1.  IIRC, given the price/s.f., I was concerned they'd become landlords in one of those iffy areas and may be stuck with that property.

I love row houses, too.  I get the impression that tptb air at least 1 row house per Philly episode no matter what the couple's shopping for!

Edited by aguabella

I get the impression that tptb air at least 1 row house per Philly episode no matter what the couple's shopping for!

They're so common in Philly proper that you kind of have to. Row homes and twins abound. They are renovating them to have the on trend open floor plans (many are quite old and all are narrow), but they're everywhere. My friend just bought the top two floors (2nd and 3rd) of a row house in South Philly. Her downstairs neighbor owns the first floor and finished basement.

My favorite thing about this show is seeing how much real estate costs in different locations. The Baltimore couple's budget was $250K and I don't think any of the properties were over it. I think the only time the realtor talked about them needing to think bigger was when one of them expressed wanting a yard in the city (they had a dog).

• Love 2

WATN: helicopter pilot husband, Jersey Shore, townhouse. I wanted to reach through the tv when he said he could go to his music room and be by himself if the baby was crying. How about you go help with your son? Jerk.

Have they started shooting House Hunters with a different aspect ratio or greater zoom or something? I feel like the homes are being shown with like a wide lens or something recently. I know it's not my own screen as it's the same as it's always been and I only have this complaint with new HH episodes like tonight's in Chicago and other channels aren't bothering me. Closeups are also a lot more extreme (and these people aren't typically models, so it's not flattering many times to have these closeups). Has anyone else noticed this or am I losing my mind?

WATN: helicopter pilot husband, Jersey Shore, townhouse. I wanted to reach through the tv when he said he could go to his music room and be by himself if the baby was crying. How about you go help with your son? Jerk.

We laughed (sadly) at that comment for a good 45 seconds. What an asswipe. 

• Love 1

There's no way that Chicago HH lived in the house she bought.  She was definitely looking to flip it yet couldn't understand not to put high end finishes if she wanted to make money.

• Love 2

Maybe she will be featured on a future HH Renovation episode.  Her mantra really was "blow out walls".  Hope the neighborhood in which she bought will support a $150,000 renovation and final valuation price.  Digging out a basement looks major.

• Love 1

Once again, an annoying wife in the Detroit episode.  You know, the one with the husband who was afraid of basements who acted like he couldn't stand her, either.    Her voice had that irritating vocal fry, as so many of these wives on this show seem to have.  Do they all watch too many Kardashian episodes, or what?    I was not impressed with that new build house at all, but liked the one that was chosen.

I also did not like the Deteoit couple. She was just nasty. He wanted the new build, but they bought the older home. He said every time something broke in the older home they purchased, he would remind the wife it wouldn't have happened in the new build. Lovely. They really did not act like they liked each other at all. Married two years with a 15 month old. Maybe divorced in another year?

• Love 1

Easily. In the opening, they said the houses were in Huntington Woods and Royal Oak--both pretty nice and gentrified suburbs, so the reference to getting involved in the comeback of Detroit was mostly metaphorical, imo.

What the hell was with the husband's fear of basements? He was acting like a 6 year-old (and his "oooh, dark creepy basement" had a dozen windows and it was shot in daylight).