Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: One Royal Hangover

When they showed Caroline F. riding to her grandmother's house (even before they showed what her grandmother's house looked like), I thought to myself "I'll bet her mother didn't come from money." Sure enough, her mother married into royalty. I don't know her mother's family's socioeconomic status, but based off her grandmother's house, I didn't think they seemed too well off. I'd say middle class. Maybe.

That said it's nice to see that Caroline F. has such a warm relationship to that side of her family given that they're not exactly privileged.

Edited by Surrealist

So I think I'm about to be in the minority.

Julie: kind of gets on my nerves. She's such an uber yoga girl. I bet she posts inspirational quotes on Instagram all the time. And I don't think her constant Girl Interrupted state is about the estate or even money. I think she's desperate to appear interesting so she stays in final cut of the show. She was supposed to be a cast member last year and they cut about 95% of her footage (honestly, I'm guessing ALL she talked about was yoga and kale) so now she's trying to make sure she's giving them more to work with. She may be a nice person (I reserve the right to side-eye any and all Bravolebrities) but I do find her really tiresome.

The lunch: I did not see Annabel and Julie being nice. I saw Anabell and Julie trying to use Juliet to go after Caroline.

Caroline S: yeah, I guess she should have apologized for...stuff(I guess, I really didn't think she was OTT about anything) but I also really got why she was annoyed that the Julie thing in particular would not die. I might have been on the verge of bitch too because seriously? It was nothing, she apologized, and it gets brought up again the next morning? Mountains and molehills. And the Gregor thing, as drunk as they were I kind of thought she thought Juliet was joking at first. It really doesn' seem like something that would have bothered Juliet last year and I think Caroline thought she was being sarcastic and then realized she wasn't and was a little confused. And Juliet even thought she overreacted once she had 5 minutes to think about it. The whole thing would have blown over if not for Sofia.

Sofia: speaking of which, what a bitch! But she was giving me some good Patsy and Edina drunkness.

Juliet: by the end of the season she will have fought with everyone. That girl is on a mission.

Marrisa: I still like, but she should dial down the humble bragging by about 10 notches.

Other Caroline: still don't care much one way or the other. Danish is a really pretty language.

• Love 7

Sofia: speaking of which, what a bitch! But she was giving me some good Patsy and Edina drunkness.

Juliet: by the end of the season she will have fought with everyone. That girl is on a mission.

Marrisa: I still like, but she should dial down the humble bragging by about 10 notches.

Other Caroline: still don't care much one way or the other. Danish is a really pretty language.

Hahahahaha!! Totally Patsy and Edina! Thank you for pointing that out.

• Love 3

Sophie looked like a scouser or a WAG.

Julie seems like the type you run into in NYC quite often, especially Brooklyn. Insecure and frantically trying to make it and impress the natives. She leaves me feeling sympathy and vicarious embarrassment. She seems very sweet. I just hope she realizes that she doesn't need to impress these people. I hope she finds a kind gang of American ex-pats who can take her under their wing.

I like her and I feel for her.  Her story is the reason why Cinderella ends with "and they lived happily ever after."  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

Wasn't it weird when Cem appeared to pop out of some closet at the NYE brunch, calling for his BIL Alex, calling for Gregor...and then just disappearing? I thought he was summoning the men for some scene where they take a blood oath to avoid the "women business" or something, but, alas, nothing came out of it. Shouldn't Cem's random mini-scene have been edited out then?

Re Caroline S simulating sex or whatever she did with Gregor, it's my opinion that it was completely inappropriate. And, short of hitting Caroline, Juliet was entitled to any reaction she was feeling at the time. I don't even like Juliet, but I have very strong beliefs that there should be separation of church and state when it comes to flirtation between my friends and my man. They can be friendly, but there is no point at which it's ok to simulate humping. It's better that she didn't actually hump him, but Caroline was pretending to get her freak on with someone else's husband. There is that undercurrent of sexuality that is improper. The fact that she was drunk matters not. Aren't a drunken man's words a sober man's thoughts? If I were Juliet, I would feel that all trust was lost with Caroline. She owes Juliet a major, sincere apology, and she needs to articulate her wrongs. If Caroline just had a bee in her bonnet and needed to do something crazy, make out with one of your girl friends, strip down to your skivvies, or simu-hump a single guy if Cem is cool with it. Do anything, but don't get involved in any way in someone else's marriage uninvited. I agree with ScoobieDoobs who said above that Caroline targeted Gregor for a calculated reason, which adds even further insult to injury.

And I agree with Annabelle (never thought I'd see the day) when she said on WWHL that she'd kill her friend AND her husband if that happened. Gregor absolutely needed to slide up out of there the second he saw shenanigans were going on. It made me kind of sick that Juliet was sucking up to him for the rest of the episode. Um, Gregor would be sleeping on the couch if he was my husband, not relishing in the attention of an insecure wife. It's not about the act, and the fact that there was "x" amount of space between their naughty bits, it's about the fact that it made his wife uncomfortable, and he kept making passive-aggressive digs about how she overreacted, rather than supporting her.

Ugh. The whole thing disgusts me. Worst was Sophie's response that Caroline pseudo-humping Gregor was the best time he's had in a long time. How unsolicited and disrespectful from someone she doesn't even know. Be gone Sophie! I hope your husband cheats on you and someone treats you to the same spiteful words you bestowed on Juliet.

• Love 6

Wasn't it weird when Cem appeared to pop out of some closet at the NYE brunch, calling for his BIL Alex, calling for Gregor...and then just disappearing? I thought he was summoning the men for some scene where they take a blood oath to avoid the "women business" or something, but, alas, nothing came out of it. Shouldn't Cem's random mini-scene have been edited out then?

I thought this was strange as well, because I expected some follow up and nothing came of it.  I wonder if it was about humpgate or business or what.

I also thought that Gregor and Juliet's room looked like a store room or something with large cinder blocks for walls.  We never got a full shot of the room, so I'm not sure how nice the rest was, just looked odd to me.

• Love 3

I thought this was strange as well, because I expected some follow up and nothing came of it.  I wonder if it was about humpgate or business or what.

I also thought that Gregor and Juliet's room looked like a store room or something with large cinder blocks for walls.  We never got a full shot of the room, so I'm not sure how nice the rest was, just looked odd to me.

I wonder if maybe it wasn't one of those "suites" hotels have where there is a bedroom attached basically to a meeting room.  People use them when they have to spend the night out of town for interviews and small business meetings.

• Love 2

Julie and Caroline are the most interesting to me, and aren't they at two ends of the personality spectrum? I guess extremes make more interesting characters to me.

I see that Julie lives in Battersea -- I am curious if anyone knows what kind of neighborhood is that? I know Chelsea is big bucks and I think that is where Nice Caroline and Marissa live. And Surrey, where mean Caroline lives,  is obviously beautiful and expensive too.

Annabelle completely won me over by ordering a plate of french fries and nothing else.  And did you notice how Julie dug into them too? That lettuce and kale diet has to be contributing to her wan look. She looks to me like she needs a day at home resting on the couch watching tv and eating roast beef and potatoes and chocolate for energy. 

As for Mapperton, I think she is dreaming big regarding JUBs saving the estate.  Mapperton is probably part of the romance of her life in England and she would probably be sad to see it go just as much as anyone.  JUBs look like a long shot to me but what the heck. Give her credit for trying, especially since the financing part of it seems to be way out of her comfort zone and she doesn't have her husband at her side helping her out.

I would like to see more of Nice Caroline. She seems so sweet and kind and stylish. 

Can't help that all of my favorite scenes have Caroline Stanbury in them.  Still love her, she's a riot.

• Love 3

Can't help that all of my favorite scenes have Caroline Stanbury in them.  Still love her, she's a riot.

I still like Caroline S. too.  She just has to stop picking on people like Julie.  It will always make her look like a monster to pick on those who are weaker and sweet tempered.

• Love 1

Just started watching this episode. I'm enjoying it. I thought it was too funny when Julie trots out "HSP" as an explanation for her behavior. I have a feeling Highly Sensitive People might not actually want their sensitivity reduced to a syndrome or tied up in a perky little acronym.

On another note, I think hat while no one here falls into dark, creepy and nasty scrapes of the  Real Housewives shows, these Ladies of London lead such joyless lives.  That hotel summed it up for me..it was dreary. The hangovers were real and the mess after the party... There's something quite depressing about these women's lives. They seem driven....not adventurous or curious. And each one seems anxious about something,

I think Juliet might be the closest to having an adventurous spirit but it's blocked. IMO Juliet is a child. She has a happy marriage, cute kids, a fun occupation (or hobby). She didn't expect to get swept up by the rich and the almost titled, but she was, and she was enjoying it and doing her own brand of sucking up to hang on to it. But maybe she is noticing her slow transformation from being Caroline's pet to being the butt of Caroline's joke.

"Husband humper" cracked me up. I'll be looking for ways to work it into conversations. However irritated I get from time to time with her, Caroine S is the heart of the show for me. 

Edited by nyxy
  • Love 3
On another note, I think hat while no one here falls into dark, creepy and nasty scrapes of the  Real Housewives shows, these Ladies of London lead such joyless lives.

I get the opposite feeling from the Brits, almost as if the artifice of filming the show--the silly drama and manufactured meet-ups with Americans (ugh)-- makes them joyless and otherwise they enjoy their lives pretty well thank you. Also, they eat! Caroline ordered red velvet cake for lunch and Annabelle just french fries and Caroline F made the big fat goose.  They just don't seem that weight obsessed. I'm sure they pull back if they pack on the pounds but they all seem pretty relaxed to me.

• Love 3

I caught that mention too and rolled my eyes. How special snowflake-y. She needs a vacation or something. She seems like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I don't know, I sort of admired her for recognizing her over sensitivity as a fault.  There are many overly sensitive people who will convince you that the problem is you and not them.  Juliet strikes me as one of those people, but I think nothing is ever Juliet's fault where Juliet is concerned.

• Love 3

I don't know, I sort of admired her for recognizing her over sensitivity as a fault. There are many overly sensitive people who will convince you that the problem is you and not them. Juliet strikes me as one of those people, but I think nothing is ever Juliet's fault where Juliet is concerned.

I agree that it's nice she can admit she's sort of delicate...except for the fact that she continues to harp on about how mean Caroline was to her in the next breath. It's like she's saying I know I'm a ridiculous princess with a pea, but I still expect everyone to treat me with kid gloves anyway.

• Love 1

That was weird, I thought we'd have a cut to the men sitting around bonding but nothing. There were also two separate shots of a very dirty plate in the trashed party room. I could see one shot as part of a montage but they showed it twice. Either we were supposed to notice something illicit on the plate, or they have film editing interns at Bravo putting this show together.

• Love 4

I agree that it's nice she can admit she's sort of delicate...except for the fact that she continues to harp on about how mean Caroline was to her in the next breath. It's like she's saying I know I'm a ridiculous princess with a pea, but I still expect everyone to treat me with kid gloves anyway.

I'm don't remember how it all went down.  But from what I remember -- Julie had really seemed to let it go about the yoga thing by the next day.  It seemed to be done and over and she was joking about it.  And than Caroline went out of her way to make sure everyone in the room knew that she really WASN'T sorry for what she said.  Which is what I thought brought it all up again.  

Because I can certainly agree that Julie getting that upset over the yoga thing was probably over the top.  But announcing in a room full of people that you're "taking back your apology." is just an asshole move IMO.  Its mean spirited and unnecessary and meant to cause maximum embarrassment.  I think I would have been put off by something like that, because it is purposefully being mean.  There was nothing funny or amusing about it at all.  It shouldn't be fun to fight against someone who won't fight back.

So, I can see her being upset about Caroline's public retraction of her apology the next day.  

• Love 10

I get the opposite feeling from the Brits, almost as if the artifice of filming the show--the silly drama and manufactured meet-ups with Americans (ugh)-- makes them joyless and otherwise they enjoy their lives pretty well thank you. Also, they eat! Caroline ordered red velvet cake for lunch and Annabelle just french fries and Caroline F made the big fat goose.  They just don't seem that weight obsessed. I'm sure they pull back if they pack on the pounds but they all seem pretty relaxed to me.

They all seem to smoke like chimneys. That is probably the most shocking thing about this show. You see so few scenes of people smoking on American TV except for shows that are set in the past like Mad Men. The party area in Juliet's suite was littered with cigarette butts. If this same party had taken place in the US, Juliet would have had to get a suite with a significant balcony area because so few places let you smoke indoors. I know my job used to have an outdoor smoking area. They have now prohibited it entirely on the property. Smokers now have to either drive or walk off property to smoke and its not a small campus. Plus the health insurance has started charging them extra aa month to cover the future costs of their smoking.

• Love 2

I'm just so relieved that Caprice and Noelle are off the show! They really sucked the life out of the show. I'm enjoying this season so much better. I don't know if I could have gone for a second season with those two.

With you on Caprice, but I kind of liked watching Noelle cluelessly gold dig her way through London. Very train wreck entertaining, sort of how I imagine Stasi from Vander Pump Rules will be in 10 years.

• Love 2

This show has gotten so tedious!  I hated Caprice and found Noelle ridiculous but the rest of the cast has stepped into the 'have a stupid argument at any cost in order to get some film time' roles with way too much gusto.  I want London!  And grand English estates!  And glamorous trips to European locales!  Honestly the women are the most boring part of the show.  I want this to be entertaining and watching a bunch of drunk women saying bitchy things to each other is just unpleasant. 

If they dropped everyone else out of the main cast and just had Marissa and Matt run their restaurant empire and Julie and Luke deal with Mapperton I think I would find that a fun show to watch.  You'd have two ends of the social and money circles - old aristocracy vs new success.  It could be fascinating.  This show is focusing on the wrong stuff. 

• Love 3

I totally thought that Julie made up HSP, but apparently it's a thing.  It has a wikipedia page and there's a book about it and everything.  I guess she should either try to develop a tougher skin, or maybe stop hanging out with Caroline if it is emotionally taxing...but it seems Julie needs this gig. Also, I thought doing crazy amounts of exercise was supposed to make you more calm and less prone to depression. I'd hate to see Julie's anxiety level when she isn't cycling all over London and teaching multiple Yoga classes per day.

I thought that Caroline showed the first spark of personal insight I've seen in recent memory on a reality show when she admitted that maybe the problem was with her since two people became very upset with her in one evening... and then the next day she takes back her apology to Julie.  What an asshole move.  But she does bring some funny snark so I guess I'll forgive her.

It looks like they had a junior suite at the Hotel Cafe Royal in London (which I think they named in the episode.)  The rooms look nicer on the website with the curtains open in the daylight, and it says it's a five star hotel, so I guess it must be much nicer than it appeared on the show.

• Love 3

I thought that Caroline showed the first spark of personal insight I've seen in recent memory on a reality show when she admitted that maybe the problem was with her since two people became very upset with her in one evening....

I think that may have been unprecedented. And I shamefully admit that I have watched a lot of reality TV.

• Love 2

Re Caroline S simulating sex or whatever she did with Gregor, it's my opinion that it was completely inappropriate. And, short of hitting Caroline, Juliet was entitled to any reaction she was feeling at the time. I don't even like Juliet, but I have very strong beliefs that there should be separation of church and state when it comes to flirtation between my friends and my man. They can be friendly, but there is no point at which it's ok to simulate humping. It's better that she didn't actually hump him, but Caroline was pretending to get her freak on with someone else's husband. There is that undercurrent of sexuality that is improper. The fact that she was drunk matters not. Aren't a drunken man's words a sober man's thoughts?......and the rest...

WORD! To your entire post, N.Bluth ! The most English and classy and proper Caroline Stanbury who knows restaurant owners, while Juliet knows the wait staff...cough!....was really out of line, crossing a boundary,....and quite improper.

Another overall observation about the all night after party with the ladies dressed in animal onsies:

There was something sort of so Kubrick-esque about the whole thing. Especially the surreal image of Caroline in her unicorn onesie straddling in a weird and kinky, sexually suggestive manner, then a teasing tail drooping/humping of an intoxicated other husband, in Gregor, who layed in a prone and open, and interested position on the couch in his rumpled suit, all set in that London hotel room, with garish yet retro sort of decor. I couldn't think of just which Stanley Kubrick movie it kept reminding me of. Was it The Shining? Eyes Wide Shut?

Then I found this from The Shining:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Photos+of+the+shining&rlz=1C1TSNP_enUS475US475&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=623&tbm=isch&imgil=QpZejiwIUA1hHM%253A%253BrlBqTQeMxToHqM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fabracadabracadabra.tumblr.com%25252Fpost%25252F130434526330%25252Fthe-shining&source=iu&pf=m&fir=QpZejiwIUA1hHM%253A%252CrlBqTQeMxToHqM%252C_&ved=0CDAQyjdqFQoTCK-pzLiorsgCFcobPgodDd8EdQ&ei=g_0TVu_bK8q3-AGNvpOoBw&usg=__JRAJhBLmITiWBBIa6pQ3i7wQytU%3D#imgrc=QpZejiwIUA1hHM%3A&usg=__JRAJhBLmITiWBBIa6pQ3i7wQytU%3D

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 7

There was something sort of so Kubrick-esque about the whole thing. Especially the surreal image of Caroline in her unicorn onesie straddling in a weird and kinky, sexually suggestive manner, then a teasing tail drooping/humping of an intoxicated other husband, in Gregor, who layed in a prone and open, and interested position on the couch in his rumpled suit, all set in that London hotel room, with garish yet retro sort of decor. I couldn't think of just which Stanley Kubrick movie it kept reminding me of. Was it The Shinng? Eyes Wide Shut?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Photos+of+the+shining&rlz=1C1TSNP_enUS475US475&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=623&tbm=isch&imgil=QpZejiwIUA1hHM%3A%3BrlBqTQeMxToHqM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fabracadabracadabra.tumblr.com%252Fpost%252F130434526330%252Fthe-shining&source=iu&pf=m&fir=QpZejiwIUA1hHM%3A%2CrlBqTQeMxToHqM%2C_&ved=0CDAQyjdqFQoTCK-pzLiorsgCFcobPgodDd8EdQ&ei=g_0TVu_bK8q3-AGNvpOoBw&usg=__JRAJhBLmITiWBBIa6pQ3i7wQytU%3D#imgrc=QpZejiwIUA1hHM%3A&usg=__JRAJhBLmITiWBBIa6pQ3i7wQytU%3D

I have been thinking this, too. For a whole week, but I thought it might be too bizarre to post!
  • Love 3

I'm don't remember how it all went down.  But from what I remember -- Julie had really seemed to let it go about the yoga thing by the next day.  It seemed to be done and over and she was joking about it.  And than Caroline went out of her way to make sure everyone in the room knew that she really WASN'T sorry for what she said.  Which is what I thought brought it all up again.  

Because I can certainly agree that Julie getting that upset over the yoga thing was probably over the top.  But announcing in a room full of people that you're "taking back your apology." is just an asshole move IMO.  Its mean spirited and unnecessary and meant to cause maximum embarrassment.  I think I would have been put off by something like that, because it is purposefully being mean.  There was nothing funny or amusing about it at all.  It shouldn't be fun to fight against someone who won't fight back.

So, I can see her being upset about Caroline's public retraction of her apology the next day.  

THIS!  Thank you!  I plowed through three pages looking for some mention of this incident.

By the next morning, Julie was willing to give the whole thing a three-second handwave as alcohol-fueled foolishness, but Caroline pounced on the opening to LAUNCH into a giant rehash, which ended up being further insulting to Julie, for her tears.  And Julie even laughed and was good natured, right up until Caroline made sure to be clear she retracted any semblance of regret. 

Wow.  Going the extra mile to be rude when simple silence would be courteous is just not done, Lady Wannabe-Aristocracy.

Last season, it sounded tongue-in-cheek and amusing when Caroline said things like "I'm better than all of them."  When she made that statement in the last episode, it was considerably less humorous. 

Now is that her, or is it us?

• Love 3

THIS!  Thank you!  I plowed through three pages looking for some mention of this incident.

By the next morning, Julie was willing to give the whole thing a three-second handwave as alcohol-fueled foolishness, but Caroline pounced on the opening to LAUNCH into a giant rehash, which ended up being further insulting to Julie, for her tears.  And Julie even laughed and was good natured, right up until Caroline made sure to be clear she retracted any semblance of regret. 

Wow.  Going the extra mile to be rude when simple silence would be courteous is just not done, Lady Wannabe-Aristocracy.

Last season, it sounded tongue-in-cheek and amusing when Caroline said things like "I'm better than all of them."  When she made that statement in the last episode, it was considerably less humorous. 

Now is that her, or is it us?

Girlfriend, it is definitely not us!

It's just never funny to watch someone so much stronger pick on someone so much weaker who won't fight back.  If its two equally matched parties maybe the bitchiness is fun, but its not fun to watch one person get pummeled and not fight back.  

Unwittingly I think Julie is the one person that could bring Caroline down.  No one likes to watch someone just beat up on someone who won't fight back.

And honestly, isn't Caroline the one who said that "once things are done, she automatically forgets about them?"  So why was she so bothered about having given an apology?  Hadn't she already let it go?  Why bring it up again?

• Love 5

WORD! To your entire post, N.Bluth ! The most English and classy and proper Caroline Stanbury who knows restaurant owners, while Juliet knows the wait staff...cough!....was really out of line, crossing a boundary,....and quite improper.

Another overall observation about the all night after party with the ladies dressed in animal onsies:

There was something sort of so Kubrick-esque about the whole thing. Especially the surreal image of Caroline in her unicorn onesie straddling in a weird and kinky, sexually suggestive manner, then a teasing tail drooping/humping of an intoxicated other husband, in Gregor, who layed in a prone and open, and interested position on the couch in his rumpled suit, all set in that London hotel room, with garish yet retro sort of decor. I couldn't think of just which Stanley Kubrick movie it kept reminding me of. Was it The Shining? Eyes Wide Shut?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Photos+of+the+shining&rlz=1C1TSNP_enUS475US475&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=623&tbm=isch&imgil=QpZejiwIUA1hHM%3A%3BrlBqTQeMxToHqM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fabracadabracadabra.tumblr.com%252Fpost%252F130434526330%252Fthe-shining&source=iu&pf=m&fir=QpZejiwIUA1hHM%3A%2CrlBqTQeMxToHqM%2C_&ved=0CDAQyjdqFQoTCK-pzLiorsgCFcobPgodDd8EdQ&ei=g_0TVu_bK8q3-AGNvpOoBw&usg=__JRAJhBLmITiWBBIa6pQ3i7wQytU%3D#imgrc=QpZejiwIUA1hHM%3A&usg=__JRAJhBLmITiWBBIa6pQ3i7wQytU%3D

OMG, this picture is worth a thousand words. It, and your description of the hump heard round the world were spot-on, especially insofar as they illustrated something-is-not-quite-right. It wasn't just Caroline Stanbury's conduct that was unnerving and surreal--it was the onesie, the setting, the husband lying prostrate--that made it so eerie and so wrong.
  • Love 2

OMG, this picture is worth a thousand words. It, and your description of the hump heard round the world were spot-on, especially insofar as they illustrated something-is-not-quite-right. It wasn't just Caroline Stanbury's conduct that was unnerving and surreal--it was the onesie, the setting, the husband lying prostrate--that made it so eerie and so wrong.

When I watched that scene, I had only 3 words : bitch be scritchin'