Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Good. Because they are gambling, no matter what convoluted 'it's a game of skill' reasoning people try to come up with. It's no game of skill if you draft AP and then he gets suspended for the season, that's pure bad luck. It's no game of skill if you draft some rookie you've barely heard of as a final RB selection, and then he becomes the starter because guys ahead of him get hurt.

If gambling has to be regulated, then these sites should not be able to operate outside that. If you want to play fantasy football for the enjoyment of it, there are plenty of sites where you can play for free, and not risk your money.

• Love 1

I watched "The Timeline" on the NFL Network that ran after last night's game about when the Giants left Yankee Stadium and built the Meadowlands and while it is always awesome to see the 86 team there were two questions left unanswered...why DID they keep the NY name and how did the Jets end up in there?

I watched "The Timeline" on the NFL Network that ran after last night's game about when the Giants left Yankee Stadium and built the Meadowlands and while it is always awesome to see the 86 team there were two questions left unanswered...why DID they keep the NY name and how did the Jets end up in there?

I watched it, too, and am wondering the same thing.

Also: Why did they put NY back on the helmets?

But it was pretty great, and so was A Football Life: Bruce Arians.

Couple thoughts...1.I dont know whether Chip Kelly is a racist, I dont know him at all, probably would walk straight by him if I saw him on the street. But I will say that his profession and being in a position of power even among a corporation where 70% of its employees are black doesnt preclude him from being a racist. Gone are the days where someone will just call a black person the n-word to their face. There are much more subtle ways to be a racist.

The optics of it though dont look good IMO. And not because he got rid of "all the good black players" but more so because he kept Riley Cooper who *did* overtly make his feelings about black people known and is not even that good of a player. And also how they tried to sully Desean Jackson's name by talking about his supposed gang affiliation and whatever else. I dont know whether that was ever true but I just found it interesting that it wasnt ever a problem before (nor since he's been in Washington) but only when they needed "a reason" to get rid of him. So how can you reconcile these situations and not look at race, especially as a black man living in this country? I had no problem with what Lesean said, and I hope he beats the breaks off the Eagles.

As someone living in NY who plays fantasy (I literally opened an account like 3 months ago), Im a little disappointed with the ruling. I dont care whether its gamling or not, I just hate when the gov't tries to tell me what I can or can't do with my own damn money. Its really something I do for fun but wagering a few bucks does make it just a tad bit more exciting. Its not unlike the lotto to me, and thats absolutely legal here so....

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

If someone wants to be a few bucks on DFS -- have at it.    My problem is there are no regulations.   There is absolute no transparency.    I was on one of the sites yesterday after the ruling and I could literally not figure out how much the site keeps from each transaction/winning.    The use of insider information amounts to little more than they pinkie swear it won't happen.   

If they just had some basic rules to follow, even if they were just required to provide certain information, I would have absolutely no problem.   Because you are right, it's your money and you are a consenting adult.   You just need to have informed consent.

Oh and stop the lying.   It's gambling.   The sites need to stop posting all over the place "it's a game of skill" in a mistaken belief that is all it takes to avoid gambling regs.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 4

I see your point. For me, I deposited the minimum $25 and I still have about $14 3 months later, so clearly im not a high roller. But sometimes as Im curiously scrolling through the different contests, I'm amazed that there are $500, $1000 and higher entry fees. If I were wagering *that* much, then hell yeah I want everything short of the blueprints for the building. I guess people just assume that if there are commercials and the major leagues are endorsing them, then they must be legit and above board so they feel comfortable spending that kind of money.

And yes of course its gambling. The only difference btw them and what Vegas and other traditional sports betting avenues do is that you're betting on individual players being successful vs a whole team.

• Love 1

And yes of course its gambling. The only difference btw them and what Vegas and other traditional sports betting avenues do is that you're betting on individual players being successful vs a whole team.

What baffles me is that the government can ban online poker but still keep daily fantasy. I've played both and I think they both have the same amount of skill versus luck. I know part of the reason is that online poker doesn't have multi-million sponsors and investors

• Love 1

In the original bill that banned poker there was an exception for Fantasy Sports.   Because they didn't want to make the office fantasy league illegal.   It was supposed to be an exception for season long leagues.   Then the daily fantasy sites came along, saw that loophole and drove a damn mack truck through it.

• Love 1

The NFC East is the worst division in the history of modern football (so I've been told)...and yet...in Syracuse today, these are the only games I have the opportunity to watch:

1 pm FOX - Washington at Chicago

1 pm CBS - Buffalo at Philadelphia

4 pm FOX - Dallas at Green Bay

8:30 pm NBC - whatever

8:30 pm ESPN Mon - NYG at Miami

I'm assuming the game offerings are much different in other regions of the country.

Wow, mojoween, Pats game aside, that's like the third circle of hell. What football god did Syracuse piss off?

Every time they mention Devon and Leah Still, I get a little choked up.

Bengals are dropping like flies today. Dalton's now out for the rest of the day, and Eifert just walked off for (I assume) a concussion test.

I am glad that the Panthers and the Browns today. Cam looked great as usual. I'm glad they earned that first week bye. Maybe they really will go undefeated. I thought that overall Johnny did a good job today. I think he's becoming more comfortable, and is starting to figure things out more as a QB. I hope he continues to improve. I thought that Barnidge and Crow also played well today and did a good job of helping the team get a win.

Cincy players really were dropping like flies. The injures in the NFL just keeping piling up. I know that injuries happen every year, but this year in particular just seems to be a year that has a ton of injuries.

Edited by Jx223

Damn it, Ravens, Rawls is out for the season. It's the injury time of the season. Every team is plagued, but it just sucks.

Yeah, I'd hate to have to deal with some injuries.

In other news, the Ravens placed their 18th player, starting Left Tackle Eugene Monroe, on IR this week.

Still work to be done for the Steelers.

Sooo. . .  are Falcons fans missing Mike Smith yet?

Nice job Dez! Bitch on the sidelines about not getting the ball and then dropping one when you are completely open.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Still work to be done for the Steelers.

Sooo. . .  are Falcons fans missing Mike Smith yet?

Nice job Dez! Bitch on the sidelines about not getting the ball and then dropping one when you are completely open.

The Falcons have really gone downhill. Started out with a promising season, and now have lost six games in the row. They just haven't seemed to be able to really get anything going.

• Love 1

Denver's loss puts the Pats back in number one basically. Sigh.

I love how before today Andy Dalton is the reason the Bengals suck in the playoffs and now he's hurt probably for the rest of the season...and that's why the Bengals are going to suck if they make the playoffs.

• Love 3

Kubiak always plays not to lose.   There is a reason he is not HC of the Texans, for goodness sake, anymore.   Peyton did his best to cover that up, because he plays to win.   Brock Osweiler does not have the experience to overcome that.   How many hot prospects has Kubiak failed with?

As for the Falcons, I thought firing Mike Smith was a mistake.   Sure they did poorly last year, but they also had a lot of serious injuries.   This year, everyone is healthy and they are doing worse.   Hmmmm, maybe Dan Quinn wasn't the answer to get them over the hump after all.  

The less said about the insane GM of the Cowboys the better.

• Love 2

Suddenly, things are looking a hell of a lot better for the Pats than for the Broncos and the Bengals.

I'm guessing the Hoodie and his apprentice sacrificed another goat (human?) at the altar of Boston sports.

Meanwhile, another day another Raven goes onto IR. Chris Canty this time.

The Broncos absolutely should stick with Osweiler, but him losing a game has made it easier to justify going back to Manning. I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I also wouldn't be surprised if they went QB in the draft, because Osweiler looks okay, but no more than that.

• Love 2

Personal opinion, but I think the Broncos should stick with Osweiler. Okay, they lost yesterday, but I still think he's a safer bet than a rusty, aging Peyton Manning.

Seriously. Have all the people I see clamoring for a return to Manning (not on this board but elsewhere), like, 500% forgotten what Manning has looked like all season? In 5 games Osweiler has thrown 3 picks. In 9 starts, Manning threw 17 picks. I'm not saying Osweiler is the next coming of Joe Montana, but come on.

That said, we all know they're going to go back to Manning, and as long as he doesn't throw up all over himself when he gets back in, they'll try to ride with him for the duration.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3

Wow, Ravens. What a brutal season for them. Those docs and trainers are earning their income.

Would have been nice to see the Giants lose on prime time. Can't have it all.

Blow to the Colts who may not get Luck back this season. The Jags are probably excited that they are only one game back and have a chance to win the division.

I'll be damned, the Giants held onto a fourth quarter lead. 

The NFC East is still an utter mess and not a one of them deserve to be in the playoffs, including my G-Men, but this miserable season I will take any NYG victory and smile. 

The two late hit roughing the passer penalties on Miami were a study in contrast.  The second one, damn right sock 'em for 15 yards.  He came late and never let up.  But the first?  He came late, yes, but it was legit when he started in motion, he saw it, pulled back to the extent he could, held onto Eli's jersey to try and keep him upright, and then helped him up. 

The Giants should not have had to challenge to get that ODB Jr. catch ruled a TD.

• Love 1

I'll be damned, the Giants held onto a fourth quarter lead.

I don't think they were ever up by 10, so they were safe... ;-)

The Giants should not have had to challenge to get that ODB Jr. catch ruled a TD.

I don't get that part about replays - I think they say that all scoring plays are automatically reviewed, but a play like that, where it wasn't originally ruled a score has to be challenged, even if when overturned by review it becomes a scoring play.  I think any end zone play should be included if they are going to review them.

It's being reported that Ryan Mallet will sign with the Ravens. I'm glad he's getting a second chance and hopefully his attitude will be better this time around. I think he's a better backup option for the Ravens than Matt Schuab, and Jimmy Clausen are.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2015/12/15/ryan-mallett-baltimore-ravens/77349402/

Ugh. I hate this move. The Ravens have had enough image problems without signing this knucklehead. I don't even know why they're bothering, because the season is done anyway. Clausen wasn't even that bad against Seattle, especially considering he was throwing the ball to guys I would guarantee no one has heard of.

Anyway, Joe will be healthy to go next season, I'm fairly sure. It took a freak injury to make him miss even a single snap (something he'd never done in his professional career), so I do expect him to resume his iron man duties.

Odell Beckham for President.

If I was American, I'd vote for him. I developed an unhealthy mancrush on this guy during his last year in college. Was desperate for him to fall to the Ravens, and knew he'd be a huge playmaker. Still, at least he went to a team I don't mind. Love watching him play.

• Love 1

If I was American, I'd vote for him. I developed an unhealthy mancrush on this guy during his last year in college. Was desperate for him to fall to the Ravens, and knew he'd be a huge playmaker. Still, at least he went to a team I don't mind. Love watching him play.

The way I see it, Odell cant be any worse than some of the other people who are legitimately trying to run for the Presidency. And with Odell, he'e at least nice to look at, and you know he's got skills at *something*. Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 2
Odell Beckham for President.

Jerry Rice would assassinate him.

The GOAT probably would want to assassinate him--even though he played during a time when Stickum was allowed. But seriously, I'm becoming less impressed with OBJ's (and Landry's) catches now that I've watched and read many stories about these new-fangled "sticky gloves" that receivers are wearing. I still think Beckham's a great player who works hard to perfect his skills, but those gloves make one-handed catches much easier.

So what's wrong, Ted Ginn, Jr., you need some sticky gloves?

And players like Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison must be pissed since they played in an era after Stickum but before sticky gloves, and they still somehow made incredible catches throughout their careers.

• Love 2

LeGarrette Blount will miss the rest of the season with the Patriots, because of a hip injury:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14376751/legarrette-blount-new-england-patriots-miss-remainder-season

No. No. No. No. Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! Stick a fork in us, we're done. My Tom Terrific isn't a miracle worker. We can't win with third string receivers and backs we picked up off the sidewalk outside Gilette.  I'll be heading home to Boston next week with a heavy heart:(

• Love 2