Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

And at the end of it all, the Ravens have a win and no Joe Flacco, who tore his ACL and MCL during the last offensive series. Dammit.

I don't know what's going on this season, but it is the season of the backup qbs. It is either due to poor playing from offensive linemen or excellent playing from the defensive adversaries.

I don't know what's going on this season, but it is the season of the backup qbs. It is either due to poor playing from offensive linemen or excellent playing from the defensive adversaries.

And the Ravens' backup QB is Matt Schaub. So they might as well have let the Rams win that game, because they damned sure won't win another this season.

And the Ravens' backup QB is Matt Schaub. So they might as well have let the Rams win that game, because they damned sure won't win another this season.

The Ravens season was half over once Suggs went down. The Rams can only hope to end with a winning season, because they sure won't be seeing any playoffs unless they're watching at home like the rest of us. : )

Holy cow - the Packers are alive!   I think it was the hoodie James Jones was wearing under his jersey.  Perhaps the entire team should wear one of those on Thursday night.

For this Packers fan, Thursday night is not all about Favre.  Hopefully, it will also be about the return of Bart Starr to Lambeau after some incredibly serious health issues.  Looking forward to seeing all 3 Super Bowl winning QBs together.  

• Love 2

I get nauseous

My poor Bills are going to get creamed like they always do against the Pats during a nationally televised game. Pointless to watch, especially if I have to endure seeing their smug ass faces.

• Love 1

My poor Bills are going to get creamed like they always do against the Pats during a nationally televised game. Pointless to watch, especially if I have to endure seeing their smug ass faces.

Well put, I like the Bills just not T-Rex.

I'm just happy that the Chief's got back Eric Berry from cancer.

I wanted the Dolphins to win today more than anything in a long long while because now all we're going to hear is how wonderful Tony fucking Romo is.

You know, as I was watching one of the football panels on the NFL network go on and on about how Romo is everything for the Cowboys and how he'll be the key to getting the train back on the tracks, I just laughed to myself, because it wasnt too long ago these people were questioning whether this guy was capable of leading a team to success. I guess a 2nd playoff win in 10 years does wonders.

If the Cowboys do somehow win the NFC East im not sure ill ever recover. Quite frankly it shouldn't even be this close. The Giants should be at least 7-3.

Im very impressed with Cam and the Panthers. IMO, he can do all the dancing he wants if he keeps doing what he's doing

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 2

I know.   Peyton needs to hang it up before he tarnishes his legacy any further.   He is entering Bret Favre territory with his obsession with continuing to play and break records.

Retire and go into the Hall of Fame in 5 years.

• Love 7
the promo for Monday's game.

Whoever puts together those promos sure has an evil sense of humor.   Laughed my ass off at the soundtrack for this one -- War's "Why Can't We Be Friends" -- as Rex and Hoodie barely acknowledge the other's existence.

Case Keenum staying in with obvious concussion is shameful for NFL

Keenum’s teammates on the St. Louis Rams didn’t do anything. The coaching staff didn’t try to see if he was OK — someone did, however, put in the effort to have Nick Foles warm up in case Keenum had to come out. Priorities. The NFL has spotters in the press box whose jobs are to look out for players with concussions, and this year a new rule was made that they could buzz down to the officials and stop the game if they thought someone had a concussion. The game never stopped.

Two plays later Keenum fumbled, and the Ravens ended up winning on a last-second field goal. In the locker room afterward, Keenum was unavailable to the media. Myles Simmons, who works for the Rams' official site, said Keenum was diagnosed with a concussion.

The whole episode is shameful for the NFL, which tries to tell us all the time it is taking concussions seriously but rarely acts like it.

Former New England Patriots center Dan Koppen said what a lot of folks were thinking.

Keenum is still in the game how??? Why do we have concussion protocol then? #NFL #STLvsBAL
— Dan Koppen (@koppen67) November 22, 2015

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/31489C093B1280322677626015744_3b103cb969d.4.1.15005985310257759568.mp4?versionId=U2rUAJocqERp8NifMglZ60AaMNYiR3_T

Edited by yourpointis
  • Love 2

You know, I've noticed a couple times when it looks like a player is concussed, other players even on the opposing team will actually point to the sidelines like "hey come check this guy/take him off the field". I don't recall seeing that here. Not saying its the players' responsibilty to play doctor, because it certainly isnt, but I dont know I think it would great if they started looking out for each other in that respect.

• Love 2

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25385972/handling-of-case-keenums-concussion-raises-questions-about-nfls-policy

Earlier this month, Eagles defensive back Malcolm Jenkins revealed that he played during a game with a concussion and hid it from the medical staff. Because the hit that caused Jenkins' concussion was inconspicuous, nobody knew that Jenkins was concussed. The onus was on Jenkins to tell a trainer, but he didn't. Like Keenum's concussion, it's scary to consider that Jenkins played football with a brain injury.

This is the type of action that doesn't help the players' cause. In this same article it states that after the first time Case hit his head on the field he talked with one of the staff on the Rams' sideline and then went back into the game leading to another head hit on the field. 

I know.   Peyton needs to hang it up before he tarnishes his legacy any further.   He is entering Bret Favre territory with his obsession with continuing to play and break records.

Retire and go into the Hall of Fame in 5 years.

It's hard, though. Retired players often say that their brains continued to tell them they could play even after their failing bodies kept screaming, "WTF are you doing to us?"

I hate to see Peyton go out on a down note. But the same thing happened to Dan Marino in his final game. He threw 5 bad interceptions in the first half of the game before being benched. It was sad. But I don't think it tarnished his legacy. 

• Love 1

Manning is one of the rare players who took two teams to the superbowl. I'm highly doubtful his legacy is going to be tarnished. 

I don't think anyone is saying Montana was great, but oh! going to the Chiefs. His legacy! 

• Love 3

Manning's legacy is intact, however if Brady gets another SB win this year , and Manning doesn't it, it will be like the 60's NBA centers Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell. One had the stats (Wilt) but another had the heavy hardware.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

If he retires this season, Peyton's legacy is fine. If he tries to play into next season, imo then he does enter into Favre tarnishing his legacy by hanging on too long territory.

Either way, though, the book on Peyton is written: great regular season QB, biggest playoff choker you've ever seen.

Case Keenum's Concussion vs. Ravens to Be Reviewed by NFL

On Monday, Rams head coach Jeff Fisher addressed the situation, per Around the NFL. "I didn't see anything from my vantage point on the sideline," said Fisher. He confirmed the Rams athletic trainer talked to Keenum, "who said he was OK," according to Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com.

According to the league's concussion protocol, an athletic trainer is supposed to serve as a "spotter" and look for a player exhibiting any sign of a potential concussion. He or she could then stop the game in order for the player to receive proper medical assistance.

Seven potential signs of a concussion are also included in the protocol:

Any loss of consciousness
Slow to get up following a hit to the head
Motor coordination/balance problems
Blank or vacant look
Disorientation
Clutching of head after contact
Visible facial injury in combination with any of the above

At the very least, Keenum demonstrated coordination problems and was slow to get up, two of the first three signs on the list.

SB Nation's Turf Show Times thought the situation was made worse by the fact Fisher didn't have to answer any questions about Keenum's possible concussion after the game:

"I'm going to give Case a good week of practice," Fisher said in his postgame press conference, failing to make any mention of the Rams' final drive, per ESPN.com. "I expect him to do better than he did today."

The NFL's full statement on the situation is included in the article, and Jeff Fisher and Chip Kelly can both go walk off a cliff together. 

• Love 2

No one saw anything wrong with Case Keenum, and the trainers accepted an "I'm okay" from him?   I saw the replay.   One of his teammates is trying to help him up and he is just a noodle.   Then he starts rolling around on the ground.   This went on for more than a second or two.

This is not the same as when they missed Joseph Addai's split second brain reset seizure on the field last year.   This was your QB rolling around and not getting up.  

• Love 3

And Jeff Fisher said he didn't even see it. You're telling me that your offense is trying to make something happen and you're not looking at the field?

I wonder, and this is just spitballing, if they are going to start looking at that penalty. I know defensive offsides is a free play, but the Rams o-line looked discombobulated and Keenum wasn't as protected as he probably should be. Maybe they look into blowing the whistle, stopping the play making it a dead ball.

This has nothing to do with anything but when I was waiting for the broadcast to start I realized that I really miss Mike Patrick calling games on ESPN.

No one saw anything wrong with Case Keenum, and the trainers accepted an "I'm okay" from him?   I saw the replay.   One of his teammates is trying to help him up and he is just a noodle.   Then he starts rolling around on the ground.   This went on for more than a second or two.

This is not the same as when they missed Joseph Addai's split second brain reset seizure on the field last year.   This was your QB rolling around and not getting up.  

To be fair to the Rams, at this point in the season they're used to seeing QBs injured (just not their own), so perhaps they're desensitised to it.

Edited by Danny Franks

To be fair to the Rams, at this point in the season they're used to seeing QBs injured (just not their own), so perhaps they're desensitised to it.

I actually beg to differ. The Rams oline has been abysmal for quite a while; defense is a different story. Look at all the qbs that have been injured and pretty much ended up shell shocked or gun shy from taking so many hits. Trent Green, Marc Bulger, Sam Bradford, backup qb Shaun Hill, and to a certain extent Kurt Warner with the thumb injury (although in Kurt's case Mike Martz just wanted him gone and didn't want to allow him the time to get reacclimated before shipping him off to NY). I don't think any elite qb could play behind their oline at present. Of course there are worse olines than the Rams, but are those qbs getting injured as much as the Rams' qbs? jmho

What terrible officiating in the Pats-Bills game. The most egregious was the inadvertent whistle that took a TD away from Amendola (and the NFL better fine the fuck out of Rex Ryan for deliberately obstructing the official's view), but what a badly officiated game in general. Meh Monday night game overall--no flow.

I do want the Pats to lose one to get the undefeated monkey off their back, but I'm glad it wasn't to the Bills. Rex Ryan is f'ing insufferable.

• Love 1

Did I miss another strike by the refs, and its actually been the replacement refs out there this whole season? I mean my God, the officiating is especially horrendous this year. And what kills me is that there is often a ref staring RIGHT at the play in question. I know I have the benefit of sitting on my comfy couch, with HD and replay at my disposal, but I get a lot of the calls right in real time with the camera panned all the way back, so I dont get why a ref who's literally standing a few feet away can't make the right call. And im sure the mismash, ridiculous rulebook isnt making things easier.

I just saw the highlight where the ref (Im guessing) assumed Brady was gonna run out of bounds and so he prematurely blew his whistle, meanwhile Brady throws a potential touchdown pass to Amendola. WTF is that? Totally inexcusable, and im not even a Pats fan....far from it.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

Isn't Gene Steratore one of the best refs in the league? (yeah, it was his crew. But isn't that reflective on him?)

Anyways, I'm looking forward to John Football vs. Matt Schaub next week.

You mean Johnny "Walker" Manziel

• Love 1

I actually beg to differ. The Rams oline has been abysmal for quite a while; defense is a different story. Look at all the qbs that have been injured and pretty much ended up shell shocked or gun shy from taking so many hits. Trent Green, Marc Bulger, Sam Bradford, backup qb Shaun Hill, and to a certain extent Kurt Warner with the thumb injury (although in Kurt's case Mike Martz just wanted him gone and didn't want to allow him the time to get reacclimated before shipping him off to NY). I don't think any elite qb could play behind their oline at present. Of course there are worse olines than the Rams, but are those qbs getting injured as much as the Rams' qbs? jmho

I was alluding to the fact that Joe Flacco is the fourth opposing QB that the Rams have knocked out of games this season, after Roethlisberger, McCown and Bridgewater. It's an unfortunate coincidence for them, especially when their DC is Greg Williams. They're injuring other positions too. Forsett on Sunday, and even Reggie Bush gets injured by their stadium.

Edited by Danny Franks

I was alluding to the fact that Joe Flacco is the fourth opposing QB that the Rams have knocked out of games this season, after Roethlisberger, McCown and Bridgewater. It's an unfortunate coincidence for them, especially when their DC is Greg Williams. They're injuring other positions too. Forsett on Sunday, and even Reggie Bush gets injured by their stadium.

Oh I'm sorry I totally misunderstood your quote. I agree with you on the fact that the Rams defense have knocked out quite a few qbs; especially this season. That is why I posted a couple of weeks ago that they are qb killers. The combination of Jeff Fisher and Greg Williams is probably a worse combo than Williams and Sean Peyton. imo What can teams do when the NFL is constantly recycling coaches and qbs?

I think all the reviews, replays, and challenges are the root cause of the bad officiating and it's affecting how refs call the game. It's making the refs stop play way way way too much. Give the refs the resources they need to succeed and get rid of the rest of it.

Will they miss calls if there isn't replay? Yes. It'll wash overall though. There will be more flow to the game. I'll concede the goal line technology. They have that in soccer too, but that's it. 

If Ryan was blocking the view of the ref, then it's not the ref's fault. If not, then there needs to be some punitive action. 

I agree about the others, but Flacco got hurt by his own player rolling over his knee. Unfortunate injury, but the other injuries are ridiculous and all by the same team?

I wonder if all the injuries have to do with the Thursday night games and players not having enough time to rest? There are so many penalties nowadays that protect players (defense can't even play full force) but there are still so many injuries.

Nice try trying to beat the Pats, Bills, but you're not going anywhere with that anemic offense. Ryan was cracking me up with his hiss fits on the sideline- that's what happens when a better, more disciplined team plays against you!

I agree about the others, but Flacco got hurt by his own player rolling over his knee. Unfortunate injury, but the other injuries are ridiculous and all by the same team?

I wonder if all the injuries have to do with the Thursday night games and players not having enough time to rest? There are so many penalties nowadays that protect players (defense can't even play full force) but there are still so many injuries.

Nice try trying to beat the Pats, Bills, but you're not going anywhere with that anemic offense. Ryan was cracking me up with his hiss fits on the sideline- that's what happens when a better, more disciplined team plays against you!

Yeah, the Flacco one was an unfortunate accident, and no real blame can be placed on the Rams. Like I said, it's an unfortunate coincidence. Although, the way Aaron Donald slammed Justin Forsett into the ground, breaking his arm, was much worse than any player would be allowed to do to a QB.

Of course, as someone elsewhere has pointed out, if the Rams and the refs followed established protocol and took the clearly concussed Keenum out of the game, he wouldn't have fumbled on the next play, meaning the Ravens wouldn't have gotten the ball back, meaning Flacco wouldn't have been on the field to get hurt.

Oh I'm sorry I totally misunderstood your quote. I agree with you on the fact that the Rams defense have knocked out quite a few qbs; especially this season. That is why I posted a couple of weeks ago that they are qb killers. The combination of Jeff Fisher and Greg Williams is probably a worse combo than Williams and Sean Peyton. imo What can teams do when the NFL is constantly recycling coaches and qbs?

"You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue."

• Love 1

As a Pats fan, I'm happy they won but wasn't particularly overwhelmed by their performance. I thought the bad officiating went both ways even though everyone on social media seems to feel the refs handed the game to the Pats. I do think the Bills should've had one more play at the :02 mark, but I highly doubt Taylor would have made a fifty yard TD pass. The guy could barely life his arm at that point.

• Love 2

"You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue."

Sounds like a seventies' Steelers/Raiders game.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1
I wonder if all the injuries have to do with the Thursday night games and players not having enough time to rest?

I've been saying that for a while now. The quality of the Thursday games, officiating aside, overall is not good either. I can't imagine how awful an 18 game season would be. 

• Love 3