Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

--Do you think Sunday Night Football is the best show on TV, as this article argues? (I don't think so, especially because Al Michaels is in decline.)

The problem I have with Sunday Night Football is not the games, it's the announcers.   Al Michaels has this whiny voice that drives me up a wall, l and Chris Collinsworth has a kind of growly voice that makes me want to get down on all fours and drag my ass around in circles like a dog listening to a train whistle.  I cannot stand listening to those two and I just use the mute button sometimes.  They have really ruined it for me.

Does anyone like Collinsworth that much? At least in my football-watching circle he's considered pretty annoying.

Re: best show on TV, it depends on the game. Premiere match-up like Packers-Broncos? Maybe. But there are often a few stinky games per season too.

• Love 1

I like Cris Collinsworth.   I have since he lost to Joe Montana and the 49ers twice in the Super Bowl.   His voice doesn't bother me.   Al Michaels has had my undying respect since the 1989 World Series went he went from baseball reporting to on-scene reporter of the Loma Prieta earthquake.

As for the online streaming only game, I may not watch it.    I did not get a big screen tv so I could watch football on my 15 inch laptop.  And I don't have any of the hookups to project my laptop onto my tv screen.    The only good thing about this is there will be fewer commercials online so I don't have to watch DraftKings/FanDuel exhort people to lose their money so often.   Plus Bills-Jags. 

• Love 1

--Are you watching the Bills/Jaguars game on Yahoo at 9:30 AM on Sunday? Yahoo paid $20 million for this internet-only game from London. It's going to be on at 6:30 west coast time, which is why I'm not watching. Also, the matchup, like most London games, sucks.

Hell to the no. I'm on the West Coast as well, and waking up at 6:30 to watch two garbage teams is not my idea of a good time, especially when my Patriots play at 10:00. I'm going to get up around 9:00, put on my lucky Gronk jersey, get my Starbucks and enjoy the game.

• Love 3

The back and forth between Michaels and Collinsworth seems natural, and it seems like they actually get along, so I like that. The only full game I watched was NO with Brees' 400th, but I'll catch 20 minutes or so each week. All the halted play from the penalties just turns me off, and I just have more interesting things to do. 

The problem is, that we have access to so much information, they're not telling us much we don't already know, and Collinsworth tends to harp on one thing and keep on and on about it. 

Collinsworth could be more technically oriented imo. It's a passing league, he was a WR, he should be really more detailed than he is. 

• Love 1

At least by the time I wake up Sunday I will know if the Bills truly suck this year. 20 million for an internet game against two bad teams? Nice job, yahoo. You should put the Pats on so I don't have to see all those arrogant assholes on my TV screen, but more people will watch since they are a good team. Win-win for everyone.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I don't mind Al Michaels play by play commentary and whatever playful banter he may throw out, but by the end of the first quarter, Chris Collingsworth's growly rasp tends to set my teeth on edge. I used to gripe about John Madden's constant love fest with Brett Favre, even if his team wasn't playing that particular night, I would trade Madden for Collingsworth in a heartbeat. I guess if fans complain too much, NBC could do another Dennis Miller experiment. {{shudder}}

• Love 1

I know people hate Joe Buck, but he's come a long way since the Tyree Catch Super Bowl. He and Aikman aren't great, but I find them the most tolerable of the Big 3 NFL announcing teams.

The funny thing is that Yahoo created the #WatchWithTheWorld hashtag to promote the game.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/WatchwiththeWorld?src=hash

Forget the world: I doubt people in Britain outside the stadium will be watching.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

We're sending teams to London so people can watch on the Internet? No thank you.

No. The NFL is sending teams to London so NFL fans outside the US of A can watch games live and in person. There are lots of us over in the the UK, as the continuing success of the London games has proved.

The streaming thing is obviously a test balloon, to see how fans take to it, and to see whether Yahoo can make money for themselves out of a service like that. But the NFL Network already offers live streaming of games anyway. And plenty of people outside the stadium here will be watching the game, because it's on BBC 2.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

I watched the final quarter. It went from blowout to good game.

Still, I like watching on my DVR so I can fast-forward through all the stoppages/commercials, which is why I'm writing this while the 1 pm ET games are beginning so I can get time on my DVR.

Bill/Jags was the most exciting shitty game I've watched in a while.

Relatively painless process. No signups (that would have been a deal breaker for me), it played well with my VPN (unlike Hulu and some other streaming services) and one click to send the stream to my Chromecast. After that, it was just like watching a broadcast game.

The streaming thing is obviously a test balloon, to see how fans take to it, and to see whether Yahoo can make money for themselves out of a service like that. But the NFL Network already offers live streaming of games anyway

Not in the US. This is new for us.

Edited by xaxat

Todd Bowles and Lovie Smith both just cost their teams a chance to win through lousy clock management and play selection. Good job, guys.

And Saints, thank you for not quite sucking enough in that second half to let Luck and those vague shapes in blue uniforms who he apparently has to put up with (listening to commentators, you'd think he was actually a one man team) come back and win.

• Love 1

Regarding the earlier discussion on whether Aaron Rodgers is gay - this diehard Packers fan couldn't give a damn who he is sleeping with, just as long as it's not a child or a farm animal.  THere have been gay players on the Packers in the past, there may be now, and there will certainly be in the future.  The only thing I care about is Aaron's commitment to excellence on the field, and the fact that he is a good guy off the field.  For example, he does tons of charity work to combat childhood cancer.  His private life should be just that - private.

Regarding Michaels/Collinsworth - I like Cris. He is able to watch the entire field and make some comment about how the right guard made the play.  He gives actual analysis.  Dan Fouts used to be really good at that too, but I rarely see a game with him, so I don't know if he still is good at it.   Al Michaels is OK, but I think he gets easily bored and it shows.  One thing I find funny in listening to Michaels (and I think I've mentioned it before) is the barely concealed contempt when he has to read promos for some of the crapfest in the primetime NBC lineup. 

• Love 1
Regarding Michaels/Collinsworth - I like Cris. He is able to watch the entire field and make some comment about how the right guard made the play.  He gives actual analysis.  Dan Fouts used to be really good at that too, but I rarely see a game with him, so I don't know if he still is good at it.   Al Michaels is OK, but I think he gets easily bored and it shows.  One thing I find funny in listening to Michaels (and I think I've mentioned it before) is the barely concealed contempt when he has to read promos for some of the crapfest in the primetime NBC lineup.

My problem with them is not what they say; it's the sound and tone of their voices that I can't stand to listen to. 

• Love 1

Of course Jerry is sticking with Matt.

Because he is senile.    This is the guy who said Weedon threw the prettiest ball he had ever seen.   He says whatever needs to be said, until it is time to say something different.   How this man made a fortune I will never know.  

• Love 4

I'm glad Hardy is not a Giant because I don't know how I could reconcile rooting for a team that employs someone of such despicable character. During the game when Joe and Troy are talking up what a great player and difference maker he is (before he argued with Dez), FOX showed a commercial where a guy from another team talked about how his mother was murdered when he was a kid because of domestic violence.

• Love 5

I'm glad Hardy is not a Giant because I don't know how I could reconcile rooting for a team that employs someone of such despicable character. During the game when Joe and Troy are talking up what a great player and difference maker he is (before he argued with Dez), FOX showed a commercial where a guy from another team talked about how his mother was murdered when he was a kid because of domestic violence.

I would suggest asking fans of teams that once employed Kyle Turley and Richie Incognito to name only a couple that should be inducted into the Hall of Shame. jmho

• Love 2

At least the Ravens cut Ray Rice after the outcry.    The Cowboys signed Greg Hardy despite his history.   And there is a lot more than just the DV incident that he bought his way out of.   Rice was already on the team when his incident happened.   The Cowboys had a choice with Hardy.   Hopefully smacking a clipboard out of a coach;s hand is enough to get him cut.

• Love 1

Giants!  I know this isn't exactly a healthy Cowboys team but I'll take a victory over them any time.  I'm glad we got contributions from the offense, defense and special teams.  The Giants might not have the talent of depth on defense but they play hard and rack up a ton of turnovers. 

Satisfying moment was seeing the Giants running back Orleans Darkwa run over Hardy on a run.

That Eli pass that was originally ruled an interception...I remember a game against Denver a few years ago where the ball went off the back heel of a defensive player and was snatched out of the air.  I've never seen anyone who has been the victim of more bizarre interceptions than Eli.  Glad that call was reversed, as it should have been.

Giants are going into New Orleans next week to play the Saints, who have won their last two games.  Hopefully the GMen can keep the momentum up.

My favorite moment with Cris Collinsworth was when he was still an analyst on Fox and had said something, to which Howie Long responded "And which one of your two Super Bowl losses did you learn that from?"  I like Collinsworth though but that line was epic.

• Love 1

And they continue to employ serial domestic abuser Terrell Suggs because he's reformed?

If Ray Rice could still play like he used to, he'd probably still be a Raven. Videotape and all.

I agree. If Rice had been coming off a monster season prior to the tape being released, he would have been back on the field. If a shitbag like Hardy managed to get signed, Rice could have easily gone to another team if the Ravens didn't want him.

• Love 3

Sadly I think you're right.  Rice was starting to go into the decline of his career and was coming off of an unimpressive season.  It made the cut so much easier and now he's a declining running back who hasn't played football in nearly two years.  Who is going to want him now?

If Ray Rice could still play like he used to, he'd probably still be a Raven. Videotape and all.

Absolutely. The incident just gave them the excuse they needed to cut him. If he had a 2000 yard season, he's still there.

It's very simple, if you get convicted of a violent crime or commit a felony, you don't get to play in the NFL. That will never happen.

Who is the commentator with the love affair with the word "stout" ?   He's driving me out of my skull.

I love watching the games, but I get up and do things during half time, and never watch the manly men saying manly men things after shows, so I can't put voice to face.

It's very simple, if you get convicted of a violent crime or commit a felony, you don't get to play in the NFL. That will never happen.

I know, right? Is there any other type of employment besides professional sports (and maybe entertainment) where you can get convicted for multiple drug or alcohol offences, violent crimes, or otherwise violating the rules of your company, and YOU STILL GET TO KEEP YOUR JOB?

I know, right? Is there any other type of employment besides professional sports (and maybe entertainment) where you can get convicted for multiple drug or alcohol offences, violent crimes, or otherwise violating the rules of your company, and YOU STILL GET TO KEEP YOUR JOB?

Politics.

• Love 8

As I said a long time ago on TWoP, in any business, if you have a unique skill or the ability to produce revenue for your company, you will get more chances than if you are easily replaced. Obviously there are exceptions: murder, pedophilia (although Subway's apparently known about Jared for years).

• Love 3