Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I actually feel badly for Jeff Fisher.  Yes he was bad at his job, but no one likes to be made fun of.  The glee at his failures was a little much for me.

On the other hand ragging on Tony Romo, for example, I am all about.

• Love 3

The firing of Fischer just shows he is not the only problem in that organization.    Two weeks ago they announce the extension.   They say he is safe.   Then he continues in the exact same vein (maybe they were supposed to get magically better with Jared Goff at QB?) as before the extension announcement so they fired him.   If they had any concerns, they 1) shouldn't have signed him to an extension in the off season given his track record, but since they did 2) they shouldn't have announced it before the end of the season.   Because now it looks like they have no long term plan.

Further proof -- Jim Fassel is the interim.   Wasn't he fired midseason once?  Or twice?   

• Love 3

It's not just Fisher that is a problem but after a 4-2 start I expected better. Their defense used to be decent but now both are sucking. 

Im sure Rex Ryan is the next to go after another playoff free year. I don't know how to fix that team but the first and second string QBs are not getting it done the past few years. I just want one damn playoff game. 

The Pittsburgh Steelers have had three coaches in 47 years.  As was pointed out on Mike & Mike this morning, constant coach turnover is the mark of bad teams that aren't going to get any better without some stability.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Further proof -- Jim Fassel is the interim.   Wasn't he fired midseason once?  Or twice?

Actually, it's Jim's son, John Fassel, the Ram's special teams coach, who was named interim HC.   Jim Fassel was fired by the NY Giants following the 2003 season.  He was fired mid-season by the Ravens a couple of seasons later, but was their offensive coordinator at the time.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Actually, it's Jim's son, John Fassel, the Ram's special teams coach, who was named interim HC.   Jim Fassel was fired by the NY Giants following the 2003 season.  He was fired mid-season by the Ravens a couple of seasons later, but was their offensive coordinator at the time.

One problem with the Rams? They have too many sons with famous coaching names on staff. John Fassel. Mike Fisher. Mike Groh, Al Groh's son.

I read that Fisher had 6 winning seasons in 22 seasons as a head coach. He was highly regarded but terrible.

Over the summer, I moved from Oakland to Los Angeles. It's all my fault that the Rams are terrible and the Raiders are now good.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, scriggle said:

I swear Belichick puts in weird formations and trick plays against the Ravens just to see Harbaugh's head explode.

Now that it's known that it gets him that unhinged, I'm surprised that everyone doesn't do it against him.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I stand (okay sit my fat butt on the couch) correct.   In that case, kid deserves a chance.   

I don't know how to feel about that Pats win, but I THINK it's good? Like the Pats should have their confidence built in a few ways. First, they brought their A game early and went up big against a solid Ravens team. When they play like that--and where oh where has this defense been??--they can match anyone. And THEN, when the wheels were coming off, they stopped the bleeding, settled down, and came out with the W. That didn't happen last year, and can only be a good sign/help build confidence and mental toughness.

The less inspiring stuff was, well, the stuff in between going up big and the end. wth, special teams? Thank goodness the D decided to show up. Also Chris Hogan.

Cyrus Jones needs to staple his ass to the bench for the rest of the season. He is a MENACE.

• Love 4

Summary of sports media so far today - "Tom Brady is the greatest human in the history of mankind and I am sad that biological limitations prevent me from carrying his spawn.  No wait he is the greatest living species in recorded history including the first amoeba that evolved into a multi-celled creature.  There will never be a quarterback better and as a matter of fact we should just fold the league now so we can all ride off into the sunset on Tom's jock."

• Love 8

"Hi, Jerry?  Jonathan Kraft.  Listen, do you need a punt returner?  We have this kid, Cyrus Jones. He's a high draft pick, he's... he's Ed "Too Tall" Jones's kid!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  He was a love child he had with Morgan Fairchild!  So you've got the legacy factor and everything.  You'll take him?  Great!  We're looking forward to punting to him in February!"

• Love 7

I might actually care again. It was a stupid decision to get rid of it in the first place, so obviously I'm blaming Goodell. They mentioned it on Around the Horn yesterday and said they might even have a dodgeball competition. They should get rid of the Pro Bowl game itself and replace it with dodgeball.

• Love 4

Wow,so weather does affect the pressure of footballs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/roger-goodell-owes-tom-brady-an-apology-183157757.html

You want to keep the Patriots’ punishment because they violated pregame protocol when the officials, in violation of their own protocol, didn’t do a thing when they watched a game-day employee carry the footballs out of the locker room? OK. Whatever.

Tom Brady deserves better though. The footballs were never deflated. The NFL’s actions show it knows now that they were never deflated.

It’s on Roger Goodell to be man enough to admit it.

Damn straight.

• Love 7

Okay, bust the Pats for violating protocol, but then you have to bust the Giants.   They tested the footbals, not the officials.   So THEY tampered with a ball.   More proof of tampering with a ball than ever showed up in the Pats' case.

• Love 4

It’s on Roger Goodell to be man enough to admit it.

Well that'll never happen. The man has no balls whatsoever. HE'S A PUPPET.

PS as a kid who was stuck at center playing Pop Warner, NO FUCKING DUH that the footballs feel different in cold weather.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I keep thinking of Robert Edwards, 1-year standout RB for the Patriots in the 90's who tore up his knee in the rookie beach volleyball game.

I remember my Dad telling me that story once when we were discussing why any player would risk injury by playing in the Pro Bowl. 

• Love 1

Richard Sherman isn't the first player to speak out against Thursday Night Games, but he's the latest.  Is anyone listening? Does anyone care?

And I know that most football players aren't Rhodes scholars, but I wish journalists would stop telling me every time the man opens his damn mouth that Richard Sherman is well-spoken. It's quite insulting, actually.

On 12/12/2016 at 11:57 PM, Carey said:

Man, thank you, New England. That team is just. That. Damn Good

Except with the Giants. The NY Giants seem to be every good team's kryptonite. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, topanga said:

And I know that most football players aren't Rhodes scholars, but I wish journalists would stop telling me every time the man opens his damn mouth that Richard Sherman is well-spoken. It's quite insulting, actually.

Yes.  I am so sick of this!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, topanga said:

Richard Sherman isn't the first player to speak out against Thursday Night Games, but he's the latest.  Is anyone listening? Does anyone care?

It's very insulting. African Americans know that in many cases it's code for "He don't talk like he Black!" Plus, it's interesting how the media attributes his intelligence to the things he says (which I don't think are actually that smart.) instead of realizing that his true genius is in self promotion through free media. 

ETA. Someone should ask him how much money he's willing to give up in the next CBA in order to make up for lost revenue.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It's very insulting. African Americans know that in many cases it's code for "He don't talk like he Black!" Plus, it's interesting how the media attributes his intelligence to the things he says (which I don't think are actually that smart.) instead of realizing that his true genius is in self promotion through free media. 

I agree. I don't find Richard Sherman particularly inspiring or thought-provoking. But the media seem amazed that he speaks in complete sentences and usually uses proper grammar. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, topanga said:

I agree. I don't find Richard Sherman particularly inspiring or thought-provoking. But the media seem amazed that he speaks in complete sentences and usually uses proper grammar. 

Or that he went to Stanford! So ridiculous. They say the same thing about Kobe- he's smart and well spoken, speaks two other languages, etc. It's as if it's shocking that an African American athlete can do all these wonderful things. Its 2016, and I still feel like we haven't left the 70's with this crap. 

• Love 7

Those uniforms are a crime against our eyes. I thought the bright orange ones were bad. But these...they take the prize for worst.

ETA: I wonder if they'd glow in the dark.  I bet they would.

Edited by scriggle
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Holy BALLS those Seahawks uniforms. It's like whoever makes the color rush jerseys is *trying* to blind us. 

9 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Oh, they'd totally glow in the dark. Even the announcers are shading the uniforms, ha.

There's a Crayola crayon color that matches those uniforms exactly. I can't remember the name of the color, but I used to use it often as a kid. 

One thing about these uniforms: they are not figure flattering for anyone except the thinnest Seattle players. They make players look bulky on top, and I've seen quite a few love handles and muffin tops on players--things I usually don't notice except on offensive lineman. Even Russell Wilson looks heavier than usual. Unless he's gained 10 pounds of pregnancy sympathy weight since Sunday, I blame the uniforms. 

15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was watching the Bucks and the Bulls but you guys totally peer pressured me into watching this game because how bad could the unis be holy Christ is the brightness setting on my TV going bad?

LOL. Maybe it's just that I like the color green, but Seattle's bright-ass uniforms don't bother me as much as the bright red-orange uniforms worn by Denver (? I think). Those actually hurt my eyes. Or the royal blue ones (can't remember which team). Talk about a color rush.