Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Romo will never again be the regular starter for the Cowboys. 

He will come back and play again, but he will either end up injured (most likely) or just play poorly and Dak will  be put back in.  His days are numbered in Dallas. 

That won't stop Skeletor from trying though.

3 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

...too early to drink.

I recognize all the words, but I don't understand what you are saying. ;-)

• Love 4

I decided to watch the London game even though it started at 6:30 am because 1) I think I've watched every London game so far, 2) it's kind of cool to be watching football at 6:30 am, and 3) I was up anyway.

The problem was I was so exhausted from watching that game, that fell asleep during the early games (I was watching Seahawks/Jets and Raiders/Ravens).

And I also missed the late games.

Thankfully, I was wide awake for that exciting Sunday Night Football game.

1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Is it really that big of a deal? Just change the stupid name, the fans will get over it. i don't get why they're being so obstinate.  

Snyder is all about screwing the fans out of as much money as he can, you would think he'd be thrilled that they would have to buy all new merchandise.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Is it really that big of a deal? Just change the stupid name, the fans will get over it. i don't get why they're being so obstinate.  

I went through this with a school in my kids' district. If some people aren't offended by a mascot's name or image, they don't understand how in the world someone else could possibly be offended by it. 

17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Dan Snyder is a dink who has driven that team into the ground.

I'm so excited for tonight even though Eli will most likely break my heart.  Again.  Some more.

I'm dreading tonight's game. Stupid San Francisco couldn't hold on to a lead yesterday ?

• Love 1
Just now, mojoween said:

We watched last night's Elementary so turned on the game late.  First thing I see is a ref and Gruden saying "it's against the Giants."  WTF.

I think it's going to be a long night, Kiddo...

• Love 1

I can't root for the Vikings, pretty much ever, because I'm a Bears fan, and I certainly couldn't have rooted for them tonight, because, hello, my G-Men.  But I have such abiding love for Sam Bradford from his OU days that I want to be happy for him.   But, ouch.

I like that Eli has no sympathy for Beckham. He is a head case, so an easy target for shit talkers. Do you think that defensive players would try to get in Fitzgerald's head? He plays the same "woe is me" card week in and week out. Yea, he got a late out of bounds hit, but he could have been ejected for bumping the ref, or for taking a shot at the Vikings player out of bounds on the next play. Keep playing that "Poor me" act while cashing in a paycheck most people would dream of having, idiot.

• Love 2

Beckham has pretty much let himself become a target with the "poor me" crap and he's allowing every defense to get under his skin.  Defensive players must have laughed their assess off when they saw crying like a baby on the sidelines last week.  OBJ always complained a lot in the first two years of his career but it was that Panthers game where he allowed himself to drive completely off the rails.  He's on the verge of becoming a Dez Bryant-level mental case.

• Love 2

I'd like to hear someone actually say "he's not dealing well, maybe he needs to talk to someone." Instead of the typical "grow up and shut up attitude." Yeah, he's not behaving like a professional nor an adult. 

But we don't need these players behaving like people, or having opinions. "Beckham shut up and act like I expect you to. You're on my fantasy team."

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

As much as we are bashing Odell, and he's showing he needs the bashing- I can't stand ALL the receivers who constantly look around for flags and wave their arms after every pass their way.  I'd like less of that crap.

Yes! That's pretty much all I saw last night. So freaking annoying. They are shielded enough with the new laws as it is so are already spoiled. Let the defense play some defense once in a while.

• Love 2

It can't be "it's all fun and games until you lose" because it's not like LSU was a barnstormer.

I just want him to get his shit together because I hate when the Giants are in these types of conversations.  That dysfunctional shit is for other teams, not one of the oldest franchises in the country.

An ESPN blurb came across my phone that Beckham apparently told another station that he's "frustrated by his role and it's not fun anymore" and a. Jesus Christ Eli is constantly throwing you the ball, he can't help you catch it too and b. that is veering dangerously close to special snowflake syndrome.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'd like to hear someone actually say "he's not dealing well, maybe he needs to talk to someone." Instead of the typical "grow up and shut up attitude." Yeah, he's not behaving like a professional nor an adult. 

Agreed. I look at it as, okay, he obviously doesn't know how to act like an adult or a professional. But if he's showing he's not capable of it/doesn't know how, why is everyone just staring at him and expecting him to miraculously turn a corner overnight? If he can't do it, what makes people think he will miraculously start? Do we think maybe the guy could use a little help, whatever form it takes (therapy, life coach/shadow, etc)?

Not a great analogy, but it's like being annoyed that your ten-year-old can't read, but not doing anything to teach them and just expecting them to teach themselves and magically develop the ability overnight.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It can't be "it's all fun and games until you lose" because it's not like LSU was a barnstormer.

I just want him to get his shit together because I hate when the Giants are in these types of conversations.  That dysfunctional shit is for other teams, not one of the oldest franchises in the country.

An ESPN blurb came across my phone that Beckham apparently told another station that he's "frustrated by his role and it's not fun anymore" and a. Jesus Christ Eli is constantly throwing you the ball, he can't help you catch it too and b. that is veering dangerously close to special snowflake syndrome.

But aren't most Wide Receivers supposed to be divas? Through the years, I've constantly heard, "Cunningham needs to get Randy Moss involved, or he'll get upset and lose interest in the game." "Dez needs to have some balls thrown his way, or he'll get frustrated." The only two WR I never heard about with similar descriptions were Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison. Those were the exceptions. Oh, and today, Larry Fitzgerald. His only vice is calling his childhood home and leaving voicemail messages for his deceased mother. Yeah, that must be great for his father. 

So I'm not sure Odell has any mental health issues. I think he is in some ways acting like a spoiled brat, but his complaints aren't all in his head. Even today, I heard reporters saying, "Yeah, that defense on Beckham could've been considered pass interference, but the refs just let 'em play." That's got to be frustrating. Sometimes a defender is allowed to hit, grab, or pick up and slam him to the ground with no penalty???  What are the rules???

24 minutes ago, topanga said:

Sometimes a defender is allowed to hit, grab, or pick up and slam him to the ground with no penalty???  What are the rules???

Once they figure out what a completed pass is, they will work on figuring out pass interference.

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Not a great analogy, but it's like being annoyed that your ten-year-old can't read, but not doing anything to teach them and just expecting them to teach themselves and magically develop the ability overnight.

I'm just getting sick of old white dudes telling young black guys how they need to behave. In a larger context, it's the same problem I have with drafting Manziel who had known issues and not giving him any resources to help. 

I mean, none of the players privately asked, "hey what's up? Talk to me." Presumably some of these guys are his friends. But let's just pile on because that always works.  

Which I understand he's not comporting himself as a professional and he's costing the team. I would think, when coaches say how *everything* is a distraction *all the time*, that they'd want to address what's going on. 

• Love 3

Everyone wants to get the ball and it turns into -

"So, you wannna be a football hero......"

Beckham made one great catch and he's resting on his laurels. (Watch how many guys are trying to pull in a one- hander during the warm-ups?)

He's got the mindset that he should be 'allowed' to catch every pass and that is where he short circuits and wants a call to go HIS way.

The media played the fuck outta that catch - it was a good catch - but what has he done for the TEAM lately?  It's not bad that he wants the ball, that he wants to make THE play, score THE touchdown, be THE hero and he can't do it by himself.

His antics are going to get him an Unsportsmanlike during a critical drive and that might be one of the straws that break his back. That shit of dancing around after you think you were held or kept from making another one hander is just juvenile....

Dez Bryant is another guy who doesn't realize what an honor it is to be one of a few that can play in the NFL.

When Bryant was a rookie, he refused to go along with the 'hazing' that the rookies got - it was carrying the pads of one of his established teammates.

He made a big deal about it. 

He still got haze when  he went out to dinner with some teammates and he got fucked with a dinner bill that was something like 50k.

He'll become a journey WR for the rest of his career, as soon as the Giants get tired of his nonsense.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I'm just getting sick of old white dudes telling young black guys how they need to behave. In a larger context, it's the same problem I have with drafting Manziel who had known issues and not giving him any resources to help. 

I mean, none of the players privately asked, "hey what's up? Talk to me." Presumably some of these guys are his friends. But let's just pile on because that always works.  

Which I understand he's not comporting himself as a professional and he's costing the team. I would think, when coaches say how *everything* is a distraction *all the time*, that they'd want to address what's going on. 

So what happens when it's an old black coach telling a young black kid to behave?

It's not about color, it's about having some manners, situational awareness, etiquette and class.

When these knuckleheads make ONE play that wins a game they become Supermen and fuck the rest of his teammates? That is the problem with sports - players are given scads of cash and accolades that takes care of their hunger.......they stop being hungry and expect to be fed.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The problem I have with the catch is that while it was spectacular...the Giants lost that fucking game.  So all that hype was meaningless.

See how that works?

I don't remember anything about that game, except that catch. Because you are a Giants fan, you look at it with a critical eye - so it's all hype to you because they lost. Nothing wrong with that.

It became the "play of the day" and now he expects to catch every ball with one hand or make a circus catch....When you start to suck the air out of the offense by complaining about DBs looking at you wrong, trying to catch one handed or walking back to the huddle so you can scream at your QB because you thought you were open........shit starts to get sour really quickly.

Beckham needs to stop being a whiny butt.   Nobody needs to teach him how to do that.   He certainly didn't lose his cool all the time until the Josh Norman game.   So he knows how to do it.   For whatever reason he is choosing not to do so.

His "it's not fun anymore" is just childish.   His "Football is my escape" makes no sense.   Escape from what?   Double shifts at the steel mill for 50 cents an hour?   Football is his job.   He plays professional football.   He needs to act like it.   

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Beckham needs to stop being a whiny butt.   Nobody needs to teach him how to do that.   He certainly didn't lose his cool all the time until the Josh Norman game.   So he knows how to do it.   For whatever reason he is choosing not to do so.

His "it's not fun anymore" is just childish.   His "Football is my escape" makes no sense.   Escape from what?   Double shifts at the steel mill for 50 cents an hour?   Football is his job.   He plays professional football.   He needs to act like it.   

Another measure is how the guy comes off the field after a dropped pass. I have seen guys - the team leaders - come off the field and brush it off. When you get someone who comes off pouting and then goes and sits on his helmet away from the bench, that doesn't tell me he has my back. I dunno how he acts on the sidelines, but I betcha it's happening. The worst kind of cancer is that one guy who thinks he's a cut above his teammates.

When his name was linked to the Kardashian farm, I knew he was in trouble?

8 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

Another measure is how the guy comes off the field after a dropped pass. I have seen guys - the team leaders - come off the field and brush it off. When you get someone who comes off pouting and then goes and sits on his helmet away from the bench, that doesn't tell me he has my back.

Really? Maybe we're not watching the same NFL games. That's the reaction I usually witness on the sidelines whenever I see a wide receiver/tight end drop a touchdown pass, a quarterback miss a throw, or a kicker miss a field goal, . Along with hearing some colorful language, I often see the player standing or sitting by themselves, brooding over their mistake and/or watching a replay on the iPad. The players seem more mad at themselves then they are at their teammates. Sometimes a quarterback will say something to a receiver or vice-versa, but that'll be a brief exchange. The pouting usually comes from the player being mad at himself. 

9 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

The worst kind of cancer is that one guy who thinks he's a cut above his teammates.

When his name was linked to the Kardashian farm, I knew he was in trouble?

Which 'him'? Odell Beckham, Jr? Reggie Bush? Miles Austin? Kerry Rhodes? There are several to choose from. 

I think Beckham is a spoiled baby who's been told he's a special snowflake all his life, and when things don't go his way he can't deal. His "it's not fun anymore" comment is indicative of his lack of maturity. Guess what, buttercup, a lot of people hate their jobs and don't have fun going to work, but they do it anyways. Man up already and get over it. He has too much talent to be acting like this. 

27 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Beckham is a spoiled baby who's been told he's a special snowflake all his life, and when things don't go his way he can't deal. His "it's not fun anymore" comment is indicative of his lack of maturity. Guess what, buttercup, a lot of people hate their jobs and don't have fun going to work, but they do it anyways. Man up already and get over it. He has too much talent to be acting like this. 

I don't know why I've become a Beckham defender (I usually don't care about him one way or another), but most professional football players have been called special snowflakes for most of their lives. They've always been the fastest, strongest, most athletic, or otherwise most talented person on their teams for years.  And the adoration only escalates in high school and college. They're coddled by teachers and administrators. And many of their legal transgressions are overlooked or covered up. So the NFL becomes a huge collection of special snowflakes, which makes them, by definition, not special. But they still have the mindset that their s*** don't stink because people have been telling them for years that it doesn't. 

I agree that Beckham lacks maturity in many ways. And I agree that it's tough to sympathize with him "not having fun" on a job that's allowing him to make millions of dollars while playing a game he loves. And can we stop with the Twitter rants, please? I think his on-field blow-ups have given him the reputation of being a whiny and hot-headed player. And because of that, whenever there are conflicts between him and another player, the refs likely won't give OBJ the benefit of the doubt. He's created that problem on his own and must make the effort on his own to repair his reputation. It isn't up to the NFL to fix his reputation or to show him "respect," as he has tweeted in the past. 

At the same time, there is visual evidence of Odell illegally being held, pushed, taunted,, and thrown to the ground. All without penalties to the other players. So I do understand some of his frustration. 

And people want to label Odell a bad seed and a person lacking character. But this is a player who's never been arrested or charged with rape, murder, theft, NCAA violations, domestic violence, child abuse, obstruction of justice, drug use, DUI, PED use, gun possession, or using under-inflated footballs. Those are people who lack character, IMO, but the NFL (and other professional sports) are full of guys just like this. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, topanga said:

And people want to label Odell a bad seed and a person lacking character. But this is a player who's never been arrested or charged with rape, murder, theft, NCAA violations, domestic violence, child abuse, obstruction of justice, drug use, DUI, PED use, gun possession, or using under-inflated footballs. Those are people who lack character, IMO, but the NFL (and other professional sports) are full of guys just like this. 

Yeah, labeling Odell as a bad seed is a bit extreme, IMO, especially when guys like Greg Hardy have floated around the league for years. He needs to grow up, but he's far from being the worst of the worst in terms of character. 

• Love 3

I wouldn't really say I'm a defender either, but there's this fallacy that if you're an NFL player, you basically have to fit into some form of the same mold, which is ridiculous. I'm also over everyone telling him how he should behave or what he should be doing or that he should shut up and be grateful. That's how people end up harming themselves. Just because there's people who hate their jobs doesn't mean someone else who is admittedly in a privileged position can't hit a rough patch. But, NFL players aren't allowed to be actual people, are they? Society reveres you as modern day gladiators, which is massively problematic as it is. You take your millions and you perform for me every Sunday and you be grateful for it!

46 minutes ago, topanga said:

And people want to label Odell a bad seed and a person lacking character. But this is a player who's never been arrested or charged with rape, murder, theft, NCAA violations, domestic violence, child abuse, obstruction of justice, drug use, DUI, PED use, gun possession, or using under-inflated footballs.

This reminds me of the so called "cancer in the locker room" Terrell Owens. With a zero arrest record. Worst person ever to play football amirite? It's ok if you lie about murder because you're ready to play on Sunday! I don't care if you bring a gun to a strip club because you're entertaining me right now!

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I wouldn't really say I'm a defender either, but there's this fallacy that if you're an NFL player, you basically have to fit into some form of the same mold, which is ridiculous. I'm also over everyone telling him how he should behave or what he should be doing or that he should shut up and be grateful. That's how people end up harming themselves. Just because there's people who hate their jobs doesn't mean someone else who is admittedly in a privileged position can't hit a rough patch. But, NFL players aren't allowed to be actual people, are they? Society reveres you as modern day gladiators, which is massively problematic as it is. You take your millions and you perform for me every Sunday and you be grateful for it!

This reminds me of the so called "cancer in the locker room" Terrell Owens. With a zero arrest record. Worst person ever to play football amirite? It's ok if you lie about murder because you're ready to play on Sunday! I don't care if you bring a gun to a strip club because you're entertaining me right now!

I never knew that about T.O. Granted, it would probably get real old, real fast to have him as a teammate. But the media definitely left me with the impression that he's an all-around bad guy and that his on-field antics must have translated into real world crimes. 

In response to your first point, I heard a radio DJ say that Odell needs to be more classy, and the example he gave is that if a defender keeps him from catching a pass (legally or not), he should pat the defender on the helmet and say, "Nice defense." And I assumed this guy never played a competitive sport in his life. Yes, there are times when football players applaud their opponents. But it usually doesn't occur in a close game where you're fighting for every yard and every catch, and the defender has probably been talking junk to you the entire game.