Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Popples said:

This never gets old.

4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Did I run around the house chanting “GO PACK GO” liked I lived in Wisconsin my whole entire life?  Goodness.  I would never admit something so ridiculous.

For the gloriously, wonderfully, magnificently last time this season … fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Dallas!

When they had Aaron Rodgers I could not stand them.   Now I would have rooted for whoever was playing Dallas but having watched GB a few times this year I have to say I really like Jordan Love.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Did I run around the house chanting “GO PACK GO” liked I lived in Wisconsin my whole entire life?  Goodness.  I would never admit something so ridiculous.

There was a tweet of Lions fans at Ford Field chanting"Go Pack Go!"

LIONS FANS!

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 4
2 minutes ago, roamyn said:

LIONS FANS!

America hates America's Team, even when their opponent plays in your division.

• Like 14

Thinking of our good friend Magog.  I believe I've been at the point where one's tears of joy hindered me from typing on a computer to share my thoughts.

As for AR12, I didn't think of him that much, but I think I have to laugh my ass off given the outcome of New York and Green Bay tonight!

As a GB fan, I’m extremely proud of this team! Regardless the outcome in San Fran, next weekend, I’m excited for the future w/#10 at the helm!! Go Pack Go and hahahahaha Dallas!! 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

Well, that was fun to watch. 

I can't wait to see Stephen A on First Take tomorrow. 🤣

Plus, Undisputed should be a blast with Skip and Company LOL

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
15 minutes ago, roamyn said:

LIONS FANS!

With the Dallas loss if Detroit wins they get the winner of Philly and TB at home next weekend.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Did Elliott get a helmet to helmet penalty?

No, because Mahomes lowered his head into Elliott's, which is how it happened. If anyone was going to be called for a foul for it, it would have been Mahomes. Elliott never moved his head.

5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Then they could have done what they did with other games, and simulcast it on NBC and Peacock.  Not exclude it from the free network.  It's not like you were going to get something special if you paid for streaming.

It wasn't about attracting new viewers per se, as the other poster thought. It's about  the fact that the NFL has future bargaining with streaming services coming up. We are approaching a future where only a minority of people have OTA and so streaming services will pay to air these games. The NFL wants to make sure the streaming services pay lucratively for that privilege. So giving Peacock an exclusive game, except for the fans in the local markets of the teams playing, is a proof-of-concept, if you will.

One also has to keep in mind that with OTA being a minority of viewers in future, that means the broadcast networks will not pay the NFL as much money for rights anymore. After all, games on those networks were free to viewers, but they certainly were not free for the networks to air. As the OTA audience dwindles, the rights to air those games become much less valuable to the broadcast channels, because the advertising revenue will decrease as well. The NFL needs to make sure streaming services will at minimum make up the difference, and wants ideally that they would pay more than the difference, thus increasing the profits to the NFL.

• Like 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I would love to see a replay of this entire game with the camera focused only on Jerry. 

Yes!  Normally I am irate they show more shots of the reanimated corpse of Jerry Jones than they do all other owners combined, but this time I wanted more, more, more.  Show me ALL the misery.  In slow-mo close-up.  Add some music and animation, and, hell, I'd buy it on DVD.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

What are the odds Aaron Rodgers goes on the airwaves this week and takes credit for Jordan Love?

Vegas has canceled all bets on this because OF COURSE Rodgers will be interviewed and will say something about Love and the Packers because it has to be all about Aaron, all the time.  He's realizing that it really is "Aaron who?" for Packer fans and he doesn't like that.  We love no drama Jordan Love.  

I'm guessing Jerry is doing phone interviews with Belichik and Jim Harbaugh right now.  He was probably telling his staff to set them up at halftime.  

6 minutes ago, twoods said:

Didn’t realize this was the Cowboys first loss at home this season. Congrats to the Packers.

The Packers have never lost at this stadium.  

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Calvada said:

The Packers have never lost at this stadium.  

Probably might've if someone didn't employ a critical running back and if that same team didn't think an injury to its center wasn't life threatening.

Coincidentally, that 2016 game was tremendous.  Similar to this year, there was a game featuring a team with a worldwide fanbase that was supposed to have a game kickoff before it before it was delayed.

BTW, Jim's older brother is a smart guy.  To where he probably doesn't have to say much about the 2024 Natty Champ continuing success by going someplace where that's actually possible.  Dallas is not it.  Might as well bring back Jimmy Johnson, but yeah right

What does it say about Jerry Jones that he would want to fire a coach that won the division to hire a coach that won four games this year?  I know this all conjecture on our part but it's totally believable because it's Jerry.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

This will never happen, BUT how amazing would it be if the Super Bowl was between the Texans (two seasons after they dumped that piece of shit rapist) and the Packers (one season after they FINALLY unburdened themselves of that bag of dicks nutcase)????

Seeing the Packers annihilate the Cowboys must be devastating for some.

spacer.png

But not for me.

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 7

I'd rather see Los Angeles win since they are the only team that can stop San Francisco, but I'm okay with Detroit winning (unless Buffalo wins in which case I'm all but okay with Detroit winning).  While IDC about one team's decades of suffering, this era of Detroit winning would be great.  FWIW, I'd rather see them get the other NFC home game instead of hapless Tampa Bay or Philadelphia

If the Rams lose, I'll be disappointed, but that's it -- halfway through the season, I wouldn't have believed anyone who predicted they'd be in the playoffs.  It has been a fun game so far.

Plus, ya know, Dallas lost.  All is well.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

What does it say that America’s Team is pretty much hated by a rather large majority of America?

That 'America's Team' is just a marketing thing.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Ugh I hope Stafford isn’t injured. This game is giving me palpitations because it’s too close. Won’t be too upset if the Rams lose because the Lions will finally get that playoff monkey off their backs, and I’m always going to keep cheering for Goff.

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Thinking of our good friend Magog.  I believe I've been at the point where one's tears of joy hindered me from typing on a computer to share my thoughts.

I'm here. Christmas is here again! jerry Jones pure sadness makes me very very happy.

I wonder how many sad Cowboys fans were going to see tomorrow on First Take. I definitely want a repeat of this.

Stephen’s A-List: Top 5 favorite Cowboys fan images 🤣 | First Take

And now we get to hear this wonderful song once again thanks to Jerry Jones, his stupid son Stephen Jones, & their Cowboys going down in a heap today. 

Accident Waiting to Happen- Stephen A Smith

Edited by Magog
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Obviously they're going to play the games, because $$$ is a big deal...

Congratulations to the San Francisco 49ers.  Your 2023 NFC Champions!  No need to play anymore conference games until February at the earliest.  I'll wait until Tuesday to crown the Baltimore Ravens for winning the 2023 AFC as well as Super Bowl 58....

Just in case the Bills say to hell with winning

Well, bummer, but at the same time I'm genuinely pleased for the team and their fans.  I have a soft spot for the hapless Lions going back to the Barry Sanders days, and it's nice to see them snap a record playoff losing streak.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

The NFL is trying to squeeze fans.  It started with Prime games on Thursdays. When the NFL network had Thursday night games the team's local market could watch on a local channel.  Prime took that way. 

Prime didn't take that away.  They're still shown on whatever the NFL considers the "local" market. 

It's not just the NFL squeezing the fans; it's the networks. They're doing what FOX did back in the day when CBS had the NFC and ABC had the AFC.  FOX wanted football not only because a lot of people watched it, but it also meant an increased awareness of FOX as a network and its programs.  By buying football, FOX went from a nothingburger network to a competitor to the big three (NBC, ABC and CBS).  It increased awareness around their prime time offerings. 

That's what NBC wants to do with Peacock.  The streamer has been struggling to fully launch.  They're likely hoping that having an exclusive playoff game gets people to sign up who will forget to cancel after the free trial is over.

4 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Can't see Bill wanting to join a franchise working on a rebuild

I can't see Bill wanting to join a team where he doesn't have significant say in personnel decisions. 

3 hours ago, roamyn said:

LIONS FANS!

A GB win means they play at home again next week.

• Useful 1

In terms of whether Pittsburgh would have to play on Saturday, NBC (former AFC package carrier) made mention to the fact that they would not.

So Houston will be on ESPN at 4:30 at either Arrowhead (with a Steelers win) or M&T Bank (with a Bills win).  That's on January 20

San Francisco hosts Green Bay at 8:15 on the same day on FOX.

The winner of the six & final wildcard game gets a date at Ford Field on Sunday, 01/21/2024.  That is an NBC game; I think I saw 2:00 PM instead of 3:00.  EST BTW.

Unless Pittsburgh actually wins on Monday, it's Bills/KC on Sunday around 6:30 on CBS, this time in Buffalo.  If the AFC East champions lose, the Steelers play Baltimore at M&T Bank at the same time & on the same channel

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

What does it say that America’s Team is pretty much hated by a rather large majority of America?

I'm on Twitter I refuse to call it X. Fans of other teams are celebrating like their team  won. One person called it NFL Christmas.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That's what NBC wants to do with Peacock.  The streamer has been struggling to fully launch.  They're likely hoping that having an exclusive playoff game gets people to sign up who will forget to cancel after the free trial is over.

Except there was no free trial.  You had to pay a month's fee up front, and you don't get a refund if you cancel the next day.  A free trial would have actually been a great marketing tool.  Although it's still elitist for the many people who do not have either the high speed internet or the viewing technology to watch a streaming app.

I had free Peacock Premium through my cable provider until they took it away last year, and I almost never used it.  You either want to watch their programming or you don't.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Except there was no free trial.  You had to pay a month's fee up front, and you don't get a refund if you cancel the next day.  A free trial would have actually been a great marketing tool.  Although it's still elitist for the many people who do not have either the high speed internet or the viewing technology to watch a streaming app.

I wasn't aware there was no free trial but the same rules apply.  They hope people sign up and get lazy about canceling. 

And I'm not defending it.  I think it stinks.  But it's what they're doing and the NFL is letting them.

In the end, if the NFL falls in popularity, I think it'll be because of ish like that. Not the refs.  Not the high ticket prices. But making it too exclusive to see easily.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

It's very American to root against the richest franchises - there's a reason why the Yankees and Lakers join the Cowboys as people's favorite teams to root for or against.  Having a villain is a good thing in sports.

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

In the end, if the NFL falls in popularity, I think it'll be because of ish like that. Not the refs.  Not the high ticket prices. But making it too exclusive to see easily.

I agree, because while some segments of the fanbase clutch their pearls about everything (player safety, turning a blind eye to moral (and sometimes criminal) failings, crappy Thursday night games, etc.) it's not like they're renouncing their support of the sport in general.  The NFL will act if that happens, but they can afford to ignore the noise if no one is willing to actually do something.

• Like 1

I slept like a baby last night thanks to the Cowboys. I'm sure that Jerry Jones was crying in the closet all night at his mansion. I just wish that we have that on video since Jerry loves to be on TV all the time.

Speaking of the Cowboys, here are these losers taking that Walk Of Shame after that ass-whooping from the Packers. Seeing this will always bring a smile to my face & it will never ever get old. I can't wait for another dose of that from these losers next season.

Watch Cowboys players emotional reactions after losing to Green Bay Packers

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But making it too exclusive to see easily.

I will always find a way to watch my team.  But if I have to pay to watch other teams then I would most likely not do that. On Sundays I will seek out a game at the times my team isn't playing.  But on Thursday's I rarely if at all watched the Prime games.  What is most likely going to  happen is AFC will stream on one service, NFC will stream on another, Sunday night will be Peacock, Monday night will be ESPN + and Thursdays will be Prime.  So football fans will be expected to have multiple streamers.  And yes millions already do but some do not.  And will streamers want you to pay more for the NFL tier?  And what about the neighborhood bar or even sports bars with multiple TVs.  They are going to have multiple streaming services?  And it will be a pain on a Sunday afternoon if you want to switch from one game to another.  And if your internet happens to go out then I guess you are just shit out of luck.

10 hours ago, Carey said:

Just in case the Bills say to hell with winning

Wouldn't be the first time.

10 hours ago, Magog said:

I'm here. Christmas is here again! jerry Jones pure sadness makes me very very happy.

I was rooting for you to get your wish.

11 hours ago, Moose135 said:

That 'America's Team' is just a marketing thing.

And has always annoyed the hell out of me.  It's not so bad now but back in the day local stores that carried NFL gear and clothes would have my local team (Pittsburgh) and Dallas stuff.  Very little Browns stuff and Cleveland is only a couple hundred miles away.  In my own life I only know of two Dallas fans.  But the media makes it sound like they are the team everyone roots for.  

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Magog said:

I slept like a baby last night thanks to the Cowboys. I'm sure that Jerry Jones was crying in the closet all night at his mansion. I just wish that we have that on video since Jerry loves to be on TV all the time.

Speaking of the Cowboys, here are these losers taking that Walk Of Shame after that ass-whooping from the Packers. Seeing this will always bring a smile to my face & it will never ever get old. I can't wait for another dose of that from these losers next season.

It's like a funeral procession following a coffin. 

• LOL 5

The one funny (like, not haha funny) thing about people going elsewhere to watch games, like BDubs was so desperately imploring them to do, is that they’re going to pay a hell of a lot more than six bucks.

My personal irritation, besides that I already pay Verizon for NBC, is that I just want to turn on the TV and watch a damn game.  I don’t have a Smart TV so the rigamorale makes it way more trouble than it’s worth.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

My personal irritation, besides that I already pay Verizon for NBC

Right! NBC (Peacock), CBS (Paramount), and ABC (Disney+) all already get like $6 a month from us from our regular cable package. I've resented the way they choose to put good stuff exclusively on the streaming platforms. I mean, I understand why they're double dipping, but it still annoys me that it's working.

For what it's worth it appears that from a business perspective, putting the game on Peacock was extremely successful

• Sad 4
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Magog said:

Best comment from the YouTubers:

Dak ran more yards to the locker room than he did the entire game

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
17 minutes ago, Carey said:

Yep, NFL games on Peacock are not going anywhere.  Even if the ratings weren't great

Peacock will definitely be worth the money I spent this summer during the Olympics. The streaming platform is by far the best way to cover that event. NBC proper can show the events that they always show, MSNBC can show basketball games, and I can be watching the 14th Peacock channel coverage of table tennis and air rifles. (Not in the same event, but I'm filing that one away for the suggestion box.)

As I'm never super invested in any football games that aren't played by my own team, I actually can't see me as somebody who would sign up for it just for NFL games. 

Speaking of NFL games, anybody know how the weather is going in Buffalo right now?  Are we going to see snow falling as the game's being played?

• Like 2
(edited)

The National Weather Service is predicting 'partly sunny', high temperature of 17, TWC is calling it 'mostly cloudy' and a high of 18. Doesn't sound like there will be snow at gametime. Just saw someone on TWC - sheriff, DOT guy, whatever - who said yesterday afternoon they had snow, 30mph winds, zero visibility. Would have been dangerous for people to head out for the game.

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 1

Great decision to move the game to today since it’s sunny and not snowing. Don’t know if they cleared all the snow from the stands but at this point, it should be “fans clear their own seats” because the crew and volunteers are spent after working all night. Great job everyone! Glad I will be working today so I can’t be in an eternal state of nausea watching this game wondering which Josh Allen will show up. It has been a weekend of upsets so anything can happen.