Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I do not have Red Zone.  I do too much not paying attention that I don’t think it would be worth it.

Cleveland’s defense is no joke.  Too bad their offense is so unrootable.

Oh and this has nothing to do with anything but Chicago’s turf is ugly.

Edited by mojoween

As mentioned, I think Cleveland's recent annual beating down the Bengals is more Jim Schwartz and less "rusty" Burrow.  

Speaking of the Browns, San Francisco may have done them a favor in 3 ways at the expense of Pittsburgh.  Nobody has won a game after facing the Niners, including Philadelphia.  Steelers host Cleveland a week from Monday, and the Browns host the 49ers one week after their bye.  The Browns could be in a very, very decent spot going forward.  However, it is one week, and in an offensive era, I don't think this method is sustainable.

In addition, Pittsburgh hasn't lost a home MNF game in a long time.  Carolina and Jacksonville didn't exist.

Finally, the offense for the entire AFC North was a total disgrace.  Yikes!

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Where are my Tampa fans today? I told you that I thought predictions of an all time bad season was an overreaction. Big win for their confidence. 

Present and accounted for!  We don't usually listen to the "experts" and their predictions as they're usually just talking out of their ass!  Plus, the Bucs will surprise you every once in a while!

Now that Brady isn't with the Bucs, we won't get to see many games where we're at, but we can catch the highlights.  We have never jumped ship with the Bucs, and we never will.  Yay for the win today!  ;)

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Cleveland’s defense is no joke.  Too bad their offense is so unrootable.

The weather was terrible.  Very windy and rainy.

But our defense looks lethal.

As the Packers are the Bears daddy in the NFC North, the Browns are the Bengals daddy in the AFC North.

It's week one, and the Cravens already have a RB out for the season!  JK Dobbins blew his Achilles out the beginning of the 2nd qtr.

Edited by roamyn
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

@mojoween do you have the RedZone? It’s the BEST when your team is in prime time or on a bye. I had RedZone in today except for a little bit of watching the Niners smack around the Steelers. 

Where are my Tampa fans today? I told you that I thought predictions of an all time bad season was an overreaction. Big win for their confidence. 

Well, I can officially throw out my 0-14-3 prediction for Tampa.  While I didn't see a win on their schedule, I hardly think someone is going to go (truly) winless within a season.  There was a team within the past 10 years that can close only to do worse the very next season, but when the best football players in the history of football get to the highest level, they tend to get the job done at least once within a season.  Sometimes you look at the schedule to where you can't see the W.

As for RedZone, man that is so refreshing.  YouTube TV + RedZone = Pure Gold.  As mentioned, it's not too pleasant when your team is playing at the same time.  Fortunately for me, I don't have to worry about it over the next couple of weeks.

If you invest in it, you just have to make at least a couple alerts to cancel the package that came with it as soon as the 271st game concludes

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I do not have Red Zone.  I do too much not paying attention that I don’t think it would be worth it.

This is the first time in sixteen years I have not had Sunday Ticket (last five years were streaming only).  I'm getting through the day on Red Zone since it's part of my cable lineup.  Watching it with half an eye and listening with half an ear.

I think after fifty-plus years of active fandom I'm just worn out.  And not willing to spend $450.

• Like 1

It's not worth it, to be honest.  I had it a couple decades ago.  It was a nice treat.  However, Scott Hanson and company pretty much address the purpose for it.  It's important for a business, but that's it

19 minutes ago, Carey said:

Well, I can officially throw out my 0-14-3 prediction for Tampa. 

I just really liked their offensive coordinator hire. His coaching is all over some of Wilson’s best years in Seattle and Geno Smith’s year last year. A guy like that is exact what Bowles and Baker need. 

I mean, I’m not putting them in the playoffs, but I don’t see them being materially different than the rest of the nfc south 

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Greg Olsen is so good at this.  Is there a petition that could be signed?  “Just Say No to Brady!”

I think it would be a mistake to bump Olsen for Brady.  Not a big mistake, but not the best move when they actually put Cris with Troy and Joe for 3 years in the past.  Speaking of Cris Collinsworth, someone said that NBC might consider making a move to accommodate Greg when he get demoted for no reason

Chargers can be decent if they had a good defense. Wtf with that secondary. 

Rams look better than I thought they would.

Love my Bills but already not looking forward to the Aaron Rodgers tongue bath tomorrow. Maybe I will watch it on mute.

• Like 4

The Packers D would like to play against the Chicago o-line every week.  But way too many stupid penalties by Green Bay.  Against a better team that could have doomed them.  I was on the phone with a fellow Packers fan when Jayden Reed went down, clutching his leg and not putting any weight on it when he went off the field.  We were just sick, because we both think he can be something special.  What a relief when they said it was just a cramp.  I never want to see any player get hurt at any time, but a rookie going down in Week 1 is really a gut punch.  

• Like 1

While I guess I was wrong with my prediction, this game will be as important as carpet dust if 4 of the other 31 teams are featured in the season's Championship weekend for the 28th consecutive time

1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I love Sunday ticket worth every penny. 

Many years ago, we could negotiate with them and get Sunday Ticket for half the regular price, but then AT&T took over and that ended that!  We loved Sunday Ticket, but we'll never pay that high of a price for it.   I'm glad that you still enjoy it!

While Brady was with the Bucs, we could see most of the games on local channels, but it's different this year.  We're okay with getting updates and seeing the highlights, that way, if they lose, we won't have wasted 3-4 hours.  That's what we did during the really bad seasons.  We support the Bucs, but it wasn't worth the aggravation when they really stunk.  ;)  

10 minutes ago, Carey said:
26 minutes ago, twoods said:

This game is uglier than the Niners/Steelers.

No it isn't

Yes it is.

Its the Cowboys winning in a blowout with their fans & Jerry Jones being very very happy right now. Their is nothing remotely exciting about Jerry Jones & the Cowboys winning in a blowout. Playing this game in a rainy bath would of made watching this tolerable.

Speaking of ugly like this game, I'm about to be 1-2 today with this result. 

Edit: Because those sucky Chargers lost today.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Magog said:

Yes it is. Its the Cowboys winning in a blowout with their fans & Jerry Jones being very very happy right now. Their is nothing remotely exciting about Jerry Jones & the Cowboys winning in a blowout. 

Speaking of ugly like this game, I'm about to be 0-3 today with this result. 

Apologies to you and twoods.  You're both right.  This is worse.  Both teams lost at home, but this is division football.  Pittsburgh lost to a team that might pass them (again) in accomplishments.  Though they probably should've by now, along with New England.

TBH, this is Karma for New York thinking that Jones was the reason for their thing they called success when one could say it was Daboll or Barkley.  Sure a QB is the way to go, but not for everybody.  This SNF game is embarrassing, more than the Yankees underachieving.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Hubby and I just turned it on.  What happened to Jones?  Did he not play?

Only god knows, I guess.  FWIW, the 2019 Top 10 pick got the money to where he might be set for life.  I can only guess where he was since the NFC East game wasn't during the 4:00 slot...

image.png.d1e372eb5a55b71a5fe9776a18d9aa9a.png

18 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

*Raises hand* Here I am, temporarily distracted by tennis and yes, baseball. As a franchise-long Tampa Bay fan, I've learned to manage my expectations. Yesterday was a pleasant surprise. Baker did his job, so yay. Not a bad start for the post-TB12 era, both in terms of a win and in confidence. For both the team and their fans (OK, me)

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I’m curious. Giants fans, did you see this shellacking coming? I thought the outlook was generally rosy after the feel good 2022, but maybe there was a spate of injuries I’m not aware of. 

We, as a group, saw one thing that gave us pause: The "upgrades" to the offensive line from last year were adding in a rookie center, expecting last year's rookie right tackle to be better in year two, and that the guards will be adequate.

I think Jones got sacked seven times and hit twice that many times. The poor kid at center had a bad snap on that opening drive and then several more during the night. The RT once again struggled against the Dallas pass rush, and all of the twists and stunts Dallas runs just killed the OL. 

So no, we generally expected that this team added a bunch of stuff to get better over last year would have done a lot better than what they did last night. (They better kick the crap out of Arizona this week.) 

Hell, in the second game against Dallas last year, the Giants started 11 players (started) who were either street free agents or on a practice squad at the start of the season due to injuries. And that version of the Giants was leading at halftime. This game just got out of control really early, and they couldn't get anything going.

Fun fact: The Giants offense drove inside the Cowboys 15 yard line twice last night and were outscored 6-0 on those two drives.  Heh. 

• Like 1

I'm not a Jets fan or a Bills fan, but I'm watching MNF to see Damar Hamlin hopefully take the field. It feels full circle since the last time I watched him on the field was horrifying. 

And to hopefully watch Aaron Rodgers lose.

• Like 3

I don't think I have ever in my life turned off a Giants game early on opening weekend, but I couldn't take it last night.  Their opening drive looked promising, then went completely to hell, and they managed to only get worse as the game went on.  Disgraceful.

25 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm not a Jets fan or a Bills fan, but I'm watching MNF to see Damar Hamlin hopefully take the field. It feels full circle since the last time I watched him on the field was horrifying. 

And to hopefully watch Aaron Rodgers lose.

Damar is not playing tonight.

I picked the Jets so I'll be happy if they win.  However, I'll also be happy if they lose

• Sad 2
31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't think I have ever in my life turned off a Giants game early on opening weekend, but I couldn't take it last night.  Their opening drive looked promising, then went completely to hell, and they managed to only get worse as the game went on.  Disgraceful.

I didn’t even make it to halftime.

The hubs has to go to bed early and I was saying goodnight, I mentioned that the guy I’m playing in fantasy had three Giants playing last night, and since I have Aaron Rodgers I might beat him.

Then I walked back in the living room.  Welp.

Edited by mojoween
11 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Do you know why? I haven't been keeping up with the preseason much this year.

Precautionary, I suppose.  He's beaten the odds, but probably not super ready on a  night like this.

Though based on why happened in the last 10 minutes, they probably will not need him.

I'm not a Jets fan, but I think I'll focus on something else, get some sleep, and resume my week tomorrow during the 6 AM hour

• Like 1