Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Philadelphia Eagles offensive lineman Josh Sills has been indicted on rape and kidnapping felony charges, the Ohio Attorney General and a county sheriff announced Wednesday. According to the indictment, filed on Jan. 31, the charges are related to an incident that occurred in December of 2019, when Sills allegedly “engaged in sexual activity that was not consensual and held a victim against her will.”

He was an undrafted free agent in 2022.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 4
17 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Philadelphia Eagles offensive lineman Josh Sills has been indicted on rape and kidnapping felony charges, the Ohio Attorney General and a county sheriff announced Wednesday.

Yikes.  That's terrible news.  Has this been kept quiet all this time, or was it well-known amongst Eagles fans?  I don't remember hearing about this.

On a lighter note, I see that Landon Dickerson should be able to play in the SB.  I hated seeing him get hurt in the last game but am happy to see that it wasn't too serious of an injury.  

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Yikes.  That's terrible news.  Has this been kept quiet all this time, or was it well-known amongst Eagles fans?  I don't remember hearing about this.

Interesting question. I wonder how much the Eagles knew. With all the background checks they do and the access they have to stuff, I wonder what they thought. Maybe they thought it had been over 2 years and he still hadn't been indicted. Covid did slow legal processes down, especially the more serious ones like this.

10 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Interesting question. I wonder how much the Eagles knew. With all the background checks they do and the access they have to stuff, I wonder what they thought. Maybe they thought it had been over 2 years and he still hadn't been indicted. Covid did slow legal processes down, especially the more serious ones like this.

He was undrafted though.  Would they do a background check?  

Just now, bluegirl147 said:

He was undrafted though.  Would they do a background check?  

They do homework on all players. Even undrafted. They would have looked at him before signing him. Mainly so they don't get blindsided with something like this.

Just now, ScorpioSoul said:

They do homework on all players. Even undrafted. They would have looked at him before signing him. Mainly so they don't get blindsided with something like this.

They might have ignored it the way Buffalo did with that punter.

• Like 1

I know it is Tom Brady retires 2.0 day, but the lack of coverage by the NFL is shocking on this Josh Sills thing. Nothing from Rapoport or Pelissero. Nothing on NFL Network either.

Edited by ScorpioSoul
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

I know it is Tom Brady retires 2.0 day, but the lack of coverage by the NFL is shocking on this Josh Sills thing. Nothing from Rapoport or Pelissero. Nothing on NFL Network either.

Josh Sills is nobody. There are 52 active roster players on 32 teams. If you rank the players from 1 to 1,664 in terms of importance to their teams, name recognition to the fans, and so on, Josh Sills would be somewhere from 1,614 to 1,664.

Career stats:

• Games Played - 1
  • Total Snaps - 4

It would be a bigger story if the Eagles Wide Receivers coach was charged with this crime. At least the wide receivers coach has a job that matters.

That's why it's barely a story for the people who cover the sport. Some guy you never heard of, and never would have heard of had he not done this, and who is sort-of affiliated with the Eagles at the moment, is up on charges for something he did in 2019. 

And by no means am I saying that what he is accused of isn't important. It's just not front page SPORTS news, because he's not an important sports figure. At all.

• Like 6
10 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

ESPN has it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35570303/eagles-ol-josh-sills-indicted-rape-kidnapping-charges

SI

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/01/eagles-offensive-lineman-indicted-on-kidnapping-rape-charges

5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I read that Giselle blindsided him with the divorce and that's why he was gone from practice for so long. 

Add him to the long, long, long list of (mostly) men who are "blindsided" by an unhappy wife, who gave absolutly no hint of her unhappiness. 

C'mon now.image.png.c514b0248ea32340552693ddeabfa4b5.png

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 9
  • LOL 5

Gisele posted a very nice comment on Tom's Instagram retirement announcement: “Wishing you only wonderful things in this new chapter of your life. 🙏” 

They've never acted like people who make me think that one of them was "the problem". My divorce was just two people who were better off being friends and co-parents than husband and wife. On the other hand, I have a couple of friends who married very poorly. In their case, it's not hard to see which one was the complete a-hole.

I just don't see these two as being anything other than a couple who were better off moving on than trying to work it out. And that stuff happens over a long period of time, where one little thing on top of the next builds a wall between a couple. 

• Like 12

I don't think he's 'evil', I really don't. I've said before that we can't know what went on in their home or marriage. I just feel like the indications are that their family was set for Chapter Two, and he decided he wasn't done with Chapter One. She resented it, he cared less about that than about cementing his legacy, and called her bluff which in hindsight doesn't look so prudent. 

Of course this is speculative, but much of this website is populated with speculative opinion.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 8

One of the reasons why I'm on Team Nobody is that both sides aren't totally innocent.

Giselle had to make her sacrifices for TB12, and some honesty helps.  Sure they were headed down this path, but way to flip flop Mr. Brady.

However, I had a friend that's similar to Tom.  Neither cheated nor were abusive.  The difference is that my friend ended up divorced due to "not making enough" which people thought was ridiculous.  Was it a boatload of money? No, but it was enough to put food on the table & pay bills.  Probably for the best.

On the other hand, Tom was "earning too much", which meant less time with their family.  Though he could earn money elsewhere, he was doing what he loved.  As was my friend

Edited by Carey
Edit since it helps to have some reasoning on a thought
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

She filed for divorce after he 'retired' and then unretired. 

I think it's pretty clear. 

And again....

He has to do this right before the superbowl?  Again?  It can't wait?   

This is literally the most boring week in the NFL schedule. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
2 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

That's why the Dallas Cowboys needing to be a part of championship week would have been nice.

On a related note, I've had a lot of takes that have been posted or said elsewhere in advance.  So I did my best to voice something that wasn't voiced by anyone elsewhere

6 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

It's too bad they remain forever unable to generate any interest in the Pro Bowl.  The NFL might be more popular in general, but I think fans look forward to the MLB, NBA, and NHL All-Star games a lot more. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Carey said:

That's why the Dallas Cowboys needing to be a part of championship week would have been nice.

It's OK, I can snark on the Fleagles as easily as can on the Cowboys...

16 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

It's too bad they remain forever unable to generate any interest in the Pro Bowl.  The NFL might be more popular in general, but I think fans look forward to the MLB, NBA, and NHL All-Star games a lot more. 

It might help if the players showed any interest in the game. I understand why they don't care, but it doesn't help build fan interest.

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

It might help if the players showed any interest in the game. I understand why they don't care, but it doesn't help build fan interest.

It's probably unnecessary for the players to show any interest in the Pro Bowl.  I say that since the league could give them more to convince them otherwise, but instead, say "No thanks!" which is their right.

I agree with cambridgeguy that they'll never be able to produce more interest.  TBH, I'm okay with that.  The season is such a grind, and that's as a viewer!  It's only going to get worse when they go to 18 games barring something.  As a result, I need a break.  I probably will take one for 5-7 days.

MLB all-star is okay, but more of a blunder than must-see TV.  The NHL ASG has improved.

The NBA ASW has dropped in terms of interest, but it's still decent as it's post-NFL & before the NCAA Tournament.  The game is sorta lame, the celebrity game is just mediocre, but the Saturday stuff 3-pointer & slam dunk is still the highlight.

Eventually (and I wouldn't mind it), we'll see the Pro Bowl weekend, Hockey All-Star Weekend, and the NBA all-star weekend fall on the same weekend prior to Super Bowl Week.  So if the Pro Bowl sucks, people will have many other options, with the NFL still producing the best numbers

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

He has to do this right before the superbowl?  Again?  It can't wait?   

I think it's better that he got it over with.  The media can run with this story for a few days and then can pivot back to the SB for the week leading up to it.  I don't need 2 weeks of SB hype, so maybe a few days of this and other news will tide us over until the week before the big game gets here.  Also, now teams can remove him from their wish list and go about the business of figuring out their rosters for the next season, especially the Bucs.  I appreciate him letting the Bucs know this quickly.  Now they can start figuring out what they're going to do. 

3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Add him to the long, long, long list of (mostly) men who are "blindsided" by an unhappy wife, who gave absolutly no hint of her unhappiness. 

I'm not saying that they didn't have issues, or that he was unaware of her unhappiness, but if they weren't at the point of filing for divorce and he thought there was still hope, then yes, I think he could've been blindsided by her actually filing for divorce.  Men can be kind of dumb when reading women's cues, so he probably totally misread the situation!  ;)

• Wink 1
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

He didn't expect her to because she never told him she would or he didn't expect it because he typically gets his way on things and he didn't think she'd actually follow through on it?  

I expect it was the latter and if he was 'blindsided' by it then it's because of his own arrogance.  

His claim that he was "blindsided" is total bullshit. The day she filed, they already had the entire settlement worked out, from their finances to custody of the children. That's why the divorce went through so fast and there weren't any interesting court proceedings for the media to report on. Wealthy high-profile couples who want to avoid public drama and messy fights typically handle their divorces this way (filing only after they have already worked out everything), and I wasn't surprised that Bundchen and Brady turned out to be like that.

If he somehow got through the entire working out of the settlement still thinking that she wouldn't actually file once they'd agreed on everything, well, that's just pure silliness on his part. But I really don't think he's quite that obtuse. It's PR damage control because he knows a lot of people take her side and/or think he was dumb or foolish, especially since this season really turned out not to have been worth losing his marriage over his decision to un-retire: Losing season, backing into the playoffs, quick elimination.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

Isn't that also because those All-Star games are played mid-season, and therefore All-Stars who will eventually be part of the championship finals play?  How Pro is the Pro Bowl when many of the best players, those who helped bring their team to the Super Bowl, aren't there?  And all the players are just plain tired after a 17-game schedule, maybe more with playoffs.  Mid-season All-Stars are still in fighting form.

That, and the fact that the Pro Bowl has always been a sanitized version of an actual NFL game.  Nobody plays any kind of exhibition football game at the intensity NFL fans generally want.

Why, exactly, is anyone not named Brady or Bundchen interested in why somebody else's marriage broke up?  I'm not a TB fan, am not impressed by supermodels, and the amount of money either one of them makes is positively obscene, but their marriage/divorce is their own damn business.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Like 2

Unhappy anniversary! Eight years ago today I had some more thoughts.

OHMYGOD NO WHY ARE YOU THROWING ON SECOND AND GOAL WHEN YOU HAVE BEAST MODE IN THE FRICKIN' BACKFIELD WORST SUPER BOWL EVER

Edited by mojoween
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

UN-Unhappy anniversary!  FOURTEEN years ago, my thoughts made thoughts on other dates...no matter that much

24 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I'm not a TB fan, am not impressed by supermodels, and the amount of money either one of them makes is positively obscene, but their marriage/divorce is their own damn business

He's a public figure and all of this affected his professional life (or so it seemed), and as a Buc's fan, we were concerned when he didn't show up to practice for 11 days.  Agreed that their issues are their own, but there's no way that something like this wouldn't get reported.  Again, I don't feel like I should be privy to the nitty gritty of the whole thing, but I think it's okay to show some empathy for a tough situation. 

• Like 1

I really don't get the "TB is evil" school of thought. There's zero evidence the guy is evil. No evidence that he cheated on Gisele, was abusive, was negligent. His son with Bridget was raised and everyone was apparently mature and not an asshole about it, Gisele included. He was never accused of sexual assault or anything serious. He;s not Ben Rapelesberger.

No evidence that he was an asshole to teammates. Most remained quite loyal to him. People hate him because he crushed their favorite teams' dreams over and over again in the playoffs and Super Bowl. But guess what -- THAT'S HIS JOB. His job is to win. 

People hate him because he's good. That's it.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

People hate him because he crushed their favorite teams' dreams over and over again in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Not *my* favorite team.  😉

Eli Manning 2, Tom Brady 0.  Forever.

• Like 4
  • Wink 2
  • Fire 3
  • LOL 10
12 minutes ago, meowmommy said:
15 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

People hate him because he crushed their favorite teams' dreams over and over again in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Not *my* favorite team.  😉

Eli Manning 2, Tom Brady 0.  Forever.

Plus, he was the victim of what made Philadelphia a champion in the USA'S top sport!

• LOL 1
54 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I really don't get the "TB is evil" school of thought. There's zero evidence the guy is evil. No evidence that he cheated on Gisele, was abusive, was negligent. His son with Bridget was raised and everyone was apparently mature and not an asshole about it, Gisele included. He was never accused of sexual assault or anything serious. He;s not Ben Rapelesberger.

No evidence that he was an asshole to teammates. Most remained quite loyal to him. People hate him because he crushed their favorite teams' dreams over and over again in the playoffs and Super Bowl. But guess what -- THAT'S HIS JOB. His job is to win. 

I've hated Brady since his high school days. Nice try though. 😘

• LOL 12
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I agree with you. When Tom Brady and Gronk won with Tampa Bay won many Patriots players were happy for them. I think part of the reason the Patriots were hated during the Brady era was before he came the Patriots were usually in last place.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I agree with you. When Tom Brady and Gronk won with Tampa Bay won many Patriots players were happy for them. I think part of the reason the Patriots were hated during the Brady era was before he came the Patriots were usually in last place.

On the other hand, Bill Belichick -- fuck that guy.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

OHMYGOD NO WHY ARE YOU THROWING ON SECOND AND GOAL WHEN YOU HAVE BEAST MODE IN THE FRICKIN' BACKFIELD WORST SUPER BOWL EVER

Unhappy anniversary indeed. Thanks for absolutely nothing, Russell Wilson. I've hated him ever since that moment & his constant failure in Denver this season brought me plenty of happiness. Hopefully, there will more of it next season. 

Since Tom Brady has finally retired & won't be an absolute nuisance on the field for me next season, I wonder who ESPN is going to replace Tom Brady with for them to suck up & do that stupid not worth a damn GOAT talk, & constantly acting like he can do no wrong. 

Uh... NO!! The last thing I need are constant migraines all week & them being a part of that will bring me a boatload of that.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2

Being a sportsball fan means you can like or not like whoever you want often for no reason at all.  And personally for me as soon as the media says “you have to…” nope I’m out.  I’ll choose who I like my own self thank you very much.

I wonder if Brady is the last NFL player to have gone to college in the 90’s? I’m almost certain he is the last player born in the 70’s.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Magog said:

Since Tom Brady has finally retired & won't be an absolute nuisance on the field for me next season, I wonder who ESPN is going to replace Tom Brady with for them to suck up & do that stupid not worth a damn GOAT talk, & constantly acting like he can do no wrong. 

My money is on Patrick Mahomes.

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Haleth said:
4 hours ago, Magog said:

It still could be Joe Burrow.  Just have to wait until the 2019 Heisman winner gets paid

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I agree.  You have to add in the celebrity factor and Mahomes has become a celebrity.  People who don't watch football know who he is.

26 minutes ago, Carey said:

It still could be Joe Burrow.  Just have to wait until the 2019 Heisman winner gets paid

Burrow might end up with a great career but for whatever reason he doesn't get the attention Mahomes does.  But I don't think he seeks it out.  I don't know if Mahomes seeks it out but his wife sure does.

• Like 4

The Pro Bowl generates no interest because proper NFL Football is not a game you can play casually. Baseball, you can play exactly the same way you always play, so that game looks like a normal game. Hockey and Basketball you can dial down the aggressiveness and the attention to defense, and the all-star game becomes a showcase of talent.

So this year they're going to have a completely different event. It might actually be fun to watch.  On Thursday they're going to have a bunch of "skills" events.

• Dodgeball - I imagine this will be a lot of fun. It'll start off goofing around, but by the end their athleticism and competitiveness will probable make the final matches pretty intense. I also imagine this set the tone for the rest of the events.
  • Lightning Round - This has something with water balloons, catching punts, and then dumping a bucket on the opposing coach's head. (I'll be rooting for Peyton to get the bucket on his head, for sure.)
  • Longest Drive - Literally a longest drive event, where the four best golfers try to earn points for their team.
  • Precision Passing -  QBs throwing at targets. You can watch vintage versions of this from the 80's and 90's if you'd like to see Dan Marino or Steve Young do it.
  • Best Catch - Fans vote on which players make the best/most creative catches.

Then on Sunday:

• Best Catch finals - Best AFC vs Best NFC compete in front of celebrity judges
  • Gridiron Gauntlet - Obstacle course race.
  • Kick Tac Toe - Kickers play tic tac toe. They kick at a giant tic tac toe board and wherever their kicks land, they turn those squares into X or O until one side has three in a row.
  • Move the chains -  Four man teams have to move a weighted wall 10 yards as quickly as possible using first-down chains.
  • Flag Football -  They play two flag football games. The winning team gets 6 points for each victory in these games. Then they add up ALL of the points earned in the events for each conference, and that becomes the starting score for the big final Flag Football game, which determines the winner of the Pro Bowl Games.

Like I said, this might actually be worth checking out. Hopefully ESPN will figure out a way to do a condensed version of the events into watchable broadcasts.

• Useful 2
41 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I hate you because you are making me set the DVR on Sunday.  I will for sure be watching tonight.

Sorry. I just thought it might be a little bit interesting to see what they've come up with this year. 

If they can make this a fun event for the players, then it will probably be fun to watch. For what it's worth, I do believe that dodgeball is a heck of an idea. 

Also, Peyton and Eli as "head coaches" should be fun. We've talked about it here a few times, but Peyton's ultra competitive nature is entertaining to watch just boiling under the surface during the Manningcast broadcasts. I'm sure it'll be on display for all to see during this stuff. 

• Like 3

They've done dodgeball before and, yes, I've enjoyed it.  All the other stuff sounds interesting except Best Catch, which, if it's like in the past, is stupid.  Jumping on tables and whatever...

Eta:  ...and dangerous.  It's like that redneck scenerio, "here, hold my beer, I want to try this..."

Kick-Tac-Toe sounds amusing.

Edited by Johann
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Good for making me wanna puke whenever he's on my tv screen.

You might want to avoid Fox NFL coverage in the future!!  

Lady Whistleup summed up how I feel about him pretty well.  I didn't like him or the Patriots because they dominated for so long and I wanted to see other teams in the mix.  It was sour grapes on my part, and I don't mind admitting that!  Once he got to the Bucs, I saw that he seemed to be a decent guy.  Winning can change one's tune about a particular player! 

For those who care, do you think he should take Robert Kraft's offer of retiring as a Patriot?  I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I think I'd like him to officially retire his career as a Buc since he already retired as a Patriot.   

• Like 1

Let’s gooooooo NFC.

Four minutes in and ESPN is already disappointing in these camera angles.

Derek Carr representing the Raiders is HILARIOUS.

Oh ew Ray Lewis appears to be here making sure to be on camera.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2