Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I'm willing to be educated here - someone, please tell me why it is okay to swing a helmet at someone multiple times in practice, but one swing in a game (Browns/Steelers) had everyone in an uproar.

I think it was only one swing, but even if it was more, what's the difference?  Have we become so immune to violence that we'll let this assault slide?  Both were fights involving slinging helmets at another person.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, so someone condoning this case, please explain.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I don't think that type of behavior is allowed or okay anywhere, be it practice or a real game.  That being said, when someone says it's "okay" that basically means it's not a violation on the NFL level.

Practices, joint or solo, are run by the league clubs, not the league itself.  It's up to the Rams to impose discipline to Aaron Donald, not Goodell & company.  Games during the season are run by the NFL, so that would be a problem for the 3 time DPOY if this happened in a real game

• Like 3

The Rams announced that they’ll be dealing with Donald internally. 

So whatever they decide to do, short of suspending him for a regular season game (😂), will not be public knowledge. 

• Love 1

Honestly, I think the league would find a way to nail the Rams if they actually suspended Donald.

All the jokes aside, I wouldn't be surprised if LA fined him.  Not necessarily a significant amount or a cheap amount, but one where Aaron got the message that they can't have this happen.  There is probably not any amount that would hurt his wallet, and there is a max.

AD does have a history of getting passionate or losing his cool.  He's been fortunate that nothing serious happened, but I imagine that the league and the Rams would do anything and everything they can to prevent a more serious issue from happening.  If AD does something that goes overboard, there are no winners.  No one wants to see him have to answer, but while I'd lean toward having to punish him (not in this latest case other than a fine), I'd be saddened since the man is basically a good guy that can get to another level.

I believe (and this would come courtesy of Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk) that the league would be able to do something, but only if the Rams did nothing.  Maybe not in this case but going forward they'd force discipline for crazy, unnecessary behavior

• Love 1

I'm watching the Dallas/Seattle game. So far it's Dallas 3, Seattle 10 (yay!) Anyhow the announcer guys in the booth were talking to a sideline guy for the Cowboys and were asking how the new players were doing. He described how the offensive line wasn't doing so great and how other groups weren't doing so well. An announcer asks, Well, as far as the individual goes, are there any standout players? The sideline guy says, "I'm sorry to say this, but (pause) nobody. Nobody stands out."

• LOL 4
17 hours ago, Carey said:

I don't think that type of behavior is allowed or okay anywhere, be it practice or a real game.  That being said, when someone says it's "okay" that basically means it's not a violation on the NFL level.

Practices, joint or solo, are run by the league clubs, not the league itself.  It's up to the Rams to impose discipline to Aaron Donald, not Goodell & company.  Games during the season are run by the NFL, so that would be a problem for the 3 time DPOY if this happened in a real game

I could buy that if I thought that was what they are saying.  I don't care who imposes the penalty or what it is.  Even condemnation of the behavior would be something.  However, it's just being passed over as if it didn't happen.  It's the folks on the sports TV shows (and elsewhere) that are saying it was no big deal (while showing the video)... fights happen all the time, boys will be boys... or whatever excuse they are making.  I equate this with a bar fight, perhaps.  Those people at least get arrested.  Some penalty should be imposed.  Even a dressing down is better than condoning it by saying it's a non-issue.

• Like 1

The Matt Araiza situation looks worse and worse. 

It was known this was happening, the lawsuit.  He admitted at the very least sex with her in a taped recorded phone conversation.  She went to the police the next day.  At the very least she was 17 not sure what age of consent is in that state but looks very bad. 

Which means the bills either never checked into this at all OR they did and did not care.  I'm not sure which is worse. 

And all over a rookie punter who had not even yet made the team.  

On 8/22/2022 at 5:24 PM, Popples said:

There was this man who is setting a great example for his son. 🙄

And Buffalo says. .......challenge accepted!!!

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2

Bills are being pretty vague, my guess is on purpose, on what they knew when they knew it. But now they claim they sat him out due to 'new information' they just learned before rhe preseason game. 

And apparently the nfl can't punish him for acts that occurred in college before being on an NFL roster.  Great. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-punter-matt-araiza-held-out-of-teams-final-preseason-game-following-rape-lawsuit-215444210.html

Age of consent in California is 18 and she told him she was in high school

No criminal charges in the months since this happened.  Why?  At the least he admitted to sex with an underage girl.  They've had almost a year to file charges. 

Further the girls lawyer informed the bills of this the end of July so the very least they kept him in training camp and cut their prior kicker to keep him knowing all this was occurring. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I'll admit I like Cleveland.  What Watson did was horrid no doubt.  

But at the same time where was the outrage from the NFL when Bob Kraft was getting services from underage girls?

The outrage from the NFL over this Bills kicker?

The suspension on Darnold or statement?  Myles Garrett was made out to be the leagues bogey man for one helmet shot.  

It's why I got to the point in my life Cobra Kai 5 excites me more than the NFL kickoff.  They both start days from each other 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I'll admit I like Cleveland.  What Watson did was horrid no doubt.  

But at the same time where was the outrage from the NFL when Bob Kraft was getting services from underage girls?

The outrage from the NFL over this Bills kicker?

The suspension on Darnold or statement?  Myles Garrett was made out to be the leagues bogey man for one helmet shot.  

It's why I got to the point in my life Cobra Kai 5 excites me more than the NFL kickoff.  They both start days from each other 

Well kraft weaseled his way out of charges like he always does. Typical of the 'patriot way'   

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And apparently the nfl can't punish him for acts that occurred in college before being on an NFL roster.  Great. 

And yet, the NFL suspended Terrelle Pryor for 5 games when he traded autographed memorabilia for tattoos while he was at Ohio State. What appalling hypocritical horseshit.

Edited by Popples
Spelling correction
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Popples said:

And yet, the NFL suspended Terrelle Pryor for 5 games when he traded autographed memorabilia for tattoos while he was at Ohio State. What appalling hypocritical horseshit.

Rules may have changed since then is all I can figure.  Maybe nflpa got that in a new cba?  Not sure. 

24 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

And now Araiza has been cut. 

I've been seeing this at the bottom of the screen where they show scores from other games.

Good for the Bills!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

And now Araiza has been cut. 

The Bills definitely made the right move cutting this guy. The details of the rape are sickening, this piece of shit belongs in prison, and the Bills made the right move getting rid of him quickly. I wonder if they knew about this when they drafted him, either way, it’s good that he’s out of the league. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

The Bills definitely made the right move cutting this guy. The details of the rape are sickening, this piece of shit belongs in prison, and the Bills made the right move getting rid of him quickly. I wonder if they knew about this when they drafted him, either way, it’s good that he’s out of the league. 

If the bills didn't know about this when drafting him they did little to know research on him beforehand. Had been reported to police, the school,  people on campus knew. 

And at the latest they were informed July 31st.  Still had the plan to basically keep him as a starter until this came out. 

So a slow clap from me by the bills for FINALLY doing the right thing.....when basically forced to do so. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Buffalo Bills General Manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott have addressed the release of Matt Araiza. The main takeaway for me is that the Bills said they did not want to rush to judgement and that they didn't know about the nature of the incident at the Draft.

Make that of what you will. I found it curious that, for arguably the most disposable position in the NFL, the Bills showed a high level of commitment to Araiza. Either they thought the allegations against Araiza would not hold up in court once a judge actually hears them (mitigating if not obviating any punishment the NFL might impose on him) and/or they did not believe the blowback for having Araiza on their roster would be that big.

At the very least, they erred on the latter point.

Ultimately, I think they made the best decision to just move on and not let Araiza be a distraction. It's just not worth it. They probably should have released him when the allegations came out, but, to give Buffalo the benefit of the doubt, my guess is that they didn't want to make a rash decision. This isn't Madden where you can have a replacement punter in seconds- the Bills' staff probably debated lots of things in this situation, probably most importantly whether or not they should have a replacement lined up before releasing Araiza.

I'm just glad this whole episode is over. I just hope justice wins out in the end because ultimately that's what's important.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Buffalo Bills General Manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott have addressed the release of Matt Araiza. The main takeaway for me is that the Bills said they did not want to rush to judgement and that they didn't know about the nature of the incident at the Draft.

Make that of what you will. I found it curious that, for arguably the most disposable position in the NFL, the Bills showed a high level of commitment to Araiza. Either they thought the allegations against Araiza would not hold up in court once a judge actually hears them (mitigating if not obviating any punishment the NFL might impose on him) and/or they did not believe the blowback for having Araiza on their roster would be that big.

Ultimately, I think they made the best decision to just move on and not let Araiza be a distraction. It's just not worth it. They probably should have released him when the allegations came out, but, to give Buffalo the benefit of the doubt, my guess is that they didn't want to make a rash decision. This isn't Madden where you can have a replacement punter in seconds- the Bills' staff probably debated lots of things in this situation, probably most importantly whether or not they should have a replacement lined up before releasing Araiza.

I'm just glad this whole episode is over. I just hope justice wins out in the end because ultimately that's what's important.

They had a veteran punter in place in the roster and araiza was a rookie challenging him for the role.  They cut that punter just earlier this week a good three weeks, at the very least, into knowing not only the allegations but that also a civil lawsuit was pending any day.  They easily could have cut araiza Any time and just kept haack the punter from last year. Who looked great fir the colts last night no less. 

Horribly handled all around by the bills.  Between this snd how Cleveland is handling Watson the nfl just looks horribly out of date and sexist in dexual assault allegations after YEARS of repeatedly dealing with these problems. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Horribly handled all around by the bills.  Between this snd how Cleveland is handling Watson the nfl just looks horribly out of date and sexist in dexual assault allegations after YEARS of repeatedly dealing with these problems. 

The NFL doesn't "look" horribly out of date and sexist, it IS. And always has been. Unfortunately among its male wealthy peers it isn't really out of date at all. Nothing will change until viewers and buyers stop watching and throwing money at these sexist assholes. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

the nfl just looks horribly out of date and sexist in dexual assault allegations after YEARS of repeatedly dealing with these problems. 

You would think they would at LEAST get better at the PR aspect of this.   But noooooo, its always the same thing "We didn't know."   "Let's not rush to judgment."  etc.   They will always make excuses for a player they really want for whatever reasons.   The guys they took because they had a draft pick and the guy was available?   Cut in a hot minute.   Someone they want?   Bend over backwards to avoid cutting.   Until forced to.   Then they offer up half-assed "statements."   

• Like 3
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

The NFL doesn't "look" horribly out of date and sexist, it IS. And always has been. Unfortunately among its male wealthy peers it isn't really out of date at all. Nothing will change until viewers and buyers stop watching and throwing money at these sexist assholes. 

I'm pretty sure Houston knew a lot about Watson but didn't say anything/come forward either.  It's only when things come out does the Woke police come out in the NFL.

It's a joke 

5 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I mean from a football standpoint I don't think his departure will hurt the team too much.  I mean they have a strong offense, how many times do you think he would have even punted this year?  

• Like 1

Would the Bills have been able to obtain a copy of the police report? The details in the civil suit are pretty graphic, so I'm assuming the criminal complaint would've contained the same info. The reason I ask is because I find it hard to believe any team could read that and think the girl made it up or had an agenda. If they knew the story, they obviously didn't care. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On the field, I was looking forward to watching the Giants/Jets game today (I KNOW).  Cable guide says it’s on the CW, nope, that’s an infomercial.  Cable guide also says it’s on the NFL Network.  Nope, that’s Saints/Chargers.  WTF?

Not really, but I appreciate the thought!

Apparently it is blacked out across all of New York State, and no one knows why.  It’s even audio only on the NFL app.  If I am going to pay ten bucks a month for NFL+ premium, I would expect better than this.

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

The reason I ask is because I find it hard to believe any team could read that and think the girl made it up or had an agenda. 

No offense, but what cave have you been living in? I wouldn't mind a holiday there.... 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Would the Bills have been able to obtain a copy of the police report? The details in the civil suit are pretty graphic, so I'm assuming the criminal complaint would've contained the same info. The reason I ask is because I find it hard to believe any team could read that and think the girl made it up or had an agenda. If they knew the story, they obviously didn't care. 

First of all, a note here about how memory works. Memories are not "picture perfect"- they get garbled and pieces get lost, especially over time. This means that normally they get reconstructed as the brain tries to fill in gaps of what it doesn't remember, and trauma can really mess up this process.

Which is a major problem in our adversarial, evidence-based justice system. Someone with inconsistencies in their statements can be accused of bending the truth if not outright fabricating it, when the reality is there's nothing at all malicious about the inconsistences. They're just happening because that's how memory naturally works, especially when it comes to trauma.

Then we have to remember the Buffalo Bills and their staff are not paid to be criminal investigators- they're paid to evaluate football players. The extent of their review of Matt Azaira's allegations likely went to a hired investigator- probably a retired detective or prosecutor who could spend the time reviewing the allegations and do so quickly.

The Bills, at best, accepted whatever this investigator told them, because they trust they know what they're doing better than the football staff. This investigator told them, at the very least, that upon their review of the materials before them, Azaira didn't do what he was accused of doing.

Which is possible...and I want to stress that it is merely possible. We have to remember this isn't a DeShaun Watson situation where he's settled 23 of 24 lawsuits against him- Azaira has a single lawsuit, and he's fighting it. There is a possibility that Azaira was not responsible for any part of the traumatic incident, which, drawing upon what I said about memory before, could very well have actually happened but Azaira was not a part of it. He may have been at the party and invited the woman to the party but he didn't victimize her.

Possibly.

I'm not going to make a definitive statement about what happened or about Azaira's actual guilt because I'll let the courts figure that out.

So I really don't think it's as cut and dry as "the Bills had this woman's criminal complaint, why didn't they do anything sooner?" At best, Buffalo likely trusted their own hired investigator's judgement on the matter and that investigator didn't think signing Azaira would be a problem.

Which leads me to the part where I will fault the Bills for and that's the fact the team believed they could get away with signing a questionable punter simply because he's a punter. I would buy that Buffalo didn't think the story would get as big as it did, but once it did, the Bills had no choice- Matt Azaira had to go.

Which is the best call, ultimately. Make your mea culpa statements ("due diligence"/"we went with what we knew", etc.), take the PR hit and move on. Let the courts figure it out and if they let him off, maybe you have another look at him...but not a minute sooner.

3 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

TJ Watt sustained a leg injury in the Lions/Steelers game.  He was able to walk off the field.  I'm not really a Steelers fan, but I hate to see a player as good as Watt hurt in a pre-season game.

Man, the Watts are sure snakebit when it comes to injuries, aren't they? Yeah, it's mostly JJ that gets hurt, but I hope TJ isn't picking up his older brother's bug. JJ has had a great career but you also wonder what his numbers would look like if he wasn't hurt all the time- his brothers don't deserve that same fate.

• Love 4

Azaria at the very least admitted to sex with an underage girl, 17 when age of consent was 18 in california, on a taped phone conversation.  It's statutory rape where his only excuse may have been claiming he thought she was 18. 

Second again as of July 31st, no matter what they found out pre-draft or they were contacted by the girls lawyer about the case warning of the civil lawsuit. They would have had access to all we have read in the papers at that time even if they didn't before. And they would know this lawsuit was coming. 

For 3-4 weeks after that, knowing at the very least he committed statutory and had a pending civil lawsuit as a result, they kept him on the team, let him play in preseason games snd the proceeded to basically give him the starting job by cutting their veteran starting kicker. 

In this say and age how did they NOT think thus would be a big story and how did they think any player, even a punter would just slip under the radar with, at a minimum, statutory rape and a pending civil lawsuit coming any day?  

All I can figure is they thought she was bluffing and wouldn't do it. Once she did, they made an excuse about 'new information', which is a lie first of all but even of true, they did not really need any 'new information', and cut him. 

Essentially they showed they care nothing about what he did and hoped it wouldn't get out into the press. Only thing that makes sense. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

First TJ Watt.   He's fine.   Tomlin said if it were regular season he would be back out there.   It was preseason against the LIONS.   No point in putting him out there.    Hubby came home all happy the Lions Defense seemed to be pretty good since the first 3 Steeler scores were fields goals.   I said, no, its because the Steelers O line sucked.  

Second, As we found out in the Ray Rice situation, the NFL has connections with all police departments.  The Bills COULD have found out more if they just asked.   They never even spoke to the girl's lawyer.   This was willful sticking their head in the sand and hoping it would all go away.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I’m wondering which case is going to be the one where the NFL and its teams looks around and says “we really are doing a poor job at sussing out bad apples, maybe we should have someone else do it.”

Oh wait THEY DID THAT and they fucked that up too.

• Love 2

I was listening this weekend to the most excellent sports reporter Vic Carucci,. He has been on the job a LONG time, and he knows the Bills up and down and is very well connected.

His opinion was that it sounded like not everybody in the Bills organization had been on the same page with this situation, and he described that as stunning to him.

I extrapolate that information from him to be: Somebody in a position of power with the Bills knew the story but failed to do anything about it, which included giving the football people such as the head coach the full story.

• Useful 3

To add insult to injury, someone is making an excuse here.  To be more specific, the "didn't know she was 17" is adding to the problem that I referenced earlier (ignorance toward a major issue)

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I extrapolate that information from him to be: Somebody in a position of power with the Bills knew the story but failed to do anything about it, which included giving the football people such as the head coach the full story.

If they did this for a punter what would they do if it was their QB?  Or their star defensive player?

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m wondering which case is going to be the one where the NFL and its teams looks around and says “we really are doing a poor job at sussing out bad apples, maybe we should have someone else do it.”

The NFL seems to operate on the theory of maybe if we ignore it it will go away. They only acknowledge something when there is outrage and they can no longer say they were unaware. 

Edited by bluegirl147
13 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The NFL seems to operate on the theory of maybe if we ignore it it will go away. They only acknowledge something when there is outrage and they can no longer say they were unaware. 

Well, yeah, I think that's fair. The NFL and more specifically the TEAMS are spending the vast majority of their time and energy trying to run a football team. Serving as the criminal justice system by trying, convicting, and punishing their players for doing things that happened outside of work is unsurprisingly something they'd rather not do.

It's a little perplexing that a team like the Bills couldn't figure out that this was going to happen 3-4 weeks ago. That's why I think what Vic Carucci said about the team not being on the same page makes sense. If they had called together everybody in power, so owners, front office, coaches and talked it out, SOMEBODY could have predicted that they would be better off finding a new punter. 

• Love 1

Unfortunately, this is not just a Bills'  or NFL problem This country struggles to effectively deal with accusations of sexual abuse in general. Especially if the accused is good at sports, or making money for wealthy individuals, or making movies etc.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 9

Again, what details the Buffalo Bills knew about concerning the investigation and the pending lawsuit are moot. They more than likely hired an investigator and that investigator poured over the details and told them not to worry about it.

Why, I don't know, I'm not that well trained in law. I just know good lawyers can weasel their clients out of just about any situation because there's almost always a loophole they can exploit.

Vic Carucci's point (per @JTMacc99) is pretty salient here, though I think it's more about people on the team disagreeing what what to do about Matt Araiza. I'm sure some hoped the situation would just "go away", others may have reasoned "it's not a big deal because he's a punter" while others may have countered with "it doesn't matter what his position is, he shouldn't be on the team".

Perhaps the team's own investigation eased concerns until the story blew up again.

As for why the team was rather blasé about dealing with their punter...well, he's the punter. It makes sense to me. Especially if you're the Bills and you have the offence that you have. Vetting the punter is not high on their list of priorities.

Plus, until this guy launched an 80 yard punt I'm not sure many would have heard of him. Maybe Azaira does fly under the radar if his punting doesn't make headlines. Maybe not, but I'm sure the long punt doesn't help him if he was trying to stay under the radar.

Anyway, I'm just trying to play Devil's Advocate here and give the Bills the benefit of the doubt. They screwed up, but I doubt they really wanted to.

Like I said before, I truly do hope justice wins out in the end, because that's really what is most important.

• Love 1

As of July 31st when they were contacted by the girls lawyer, no matter what a theoretical investigator they hired stated, if they learned the details we know and anyone in the organization truly thought there was some way legally and personally they could somehow convince the public and / or a court this was an overblown story or a false story or however they thought they could spin it, then the bills front office is just a bunch of idiots. 

As for not being on the same page or however you want to put it, I dont see how anyone in a position to make a decision about his job on the bills could think there was a choice other than him being cut immediately. That line of thought implies someone on the bills did not take this seriously at all. Whoever that is, it's disturbing they are employed by the bills. 

I just can't give the bills any benefit of doubt in this situation.  This was pretty black and white in terms of what should have happened at least 3 weeks earlier.  Drafting?  OK Maybe didn't know. Maybe he wasn't hugh on their list, kind of fell to them as a late pick, didn't have much pre-draft info. But during training camp and preseason they knew. 

Also he won the ray guy award last year as colleges best punter and talent wise was the clear #1 at his position, yet was the 3rd punter drafted. Some teams knew before the draft.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

In other news, Jimmy G is staying with the 49ers.   He took a pay cut to do it but the Niners were willing to sign him.

Which tells me a couple things:

1.   Jimmy G realized no one really wanted him, at ANY salary;

2.   The Niners didn't want to take a chance on finding a decent back up in case anything happened to Trey Lance.   Better the guy who already knows your system even if he isn't dazzling than go with a guy who has to get up to speed but might be better.   

NO ONE could have predicted this.   Jimmy wasn't even practicing with the team or in meetings during camp.   Practicing I can see, he is rehabbing.   But not even sitting in meetings with the other QBs?    It was basically "yeah you can use the facility to stay in shape for another team but you aren't part of THIS team."   Until he was again.

• Love 1

Maybe San Francisco doesn't totally trust Trey Lance yet, thinking he's a year away.  Trust as the guy?  Sure, but it helps to have Jimmy G there one more year just in case.  The 49ers are super bowl built.  They say the NFC is weak (it's the Rams, Bucs, Packers, and no one else).  I think the Niners are valid enough, and could top those other three teams toward who represents the NFC.

I completely disagree.  I totally saw Jimmy G back in San Francisco.  If something happens to Trey Lance, the Niners are sorta screwed without a decent backup.  Sure maybe they can get Mason Rudolph, but that's punting to 2023 if that were their decision.  I figured it was 50/50 that Jimmy would return or exit.  He could end up somewhere due to one's needs but then it never was a bad idea to return for one more season in the Bay area

• Love 1

@DrSpaceman73, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

As for Jimmy G, I think he'll fit better as a backup than a starter. Like him or hate him, he does have a way of getting the job done when needed- he's just not a guy that will take you to the next level. The 49ers have already been to a Super Bowl with him, so he's not the worst QB to have.

Yeah, this decision only makes total sense if Trey Lance has a good year, but I'm not sure it's the worst decision for San Francisco to make.

Cut day in the league. 

For a the problems in the NFL snd it's players I dont begrudge thse guys a penny of what they make. Short injury prone careers with no guaranteed salaries. And the nfl is the one sport preseason means something. Not to the teams but guys fighting for roster spots. 

The colts biggest story is they are keeping 3 qbs because Sam ehlinger played great in preseason and earned a spot on the roster behind Ryan and Foles. Also cut Phillip Lindsay and Leonard back from the pup list for the season.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Jimmy G is an odd guy for a QB as he seems quite satisfied being a backup while being skilled enough to be an above average starter. He was fine being Brady's backup even after his brief playing stint gave him trade value. And he seems OK being the team player after being demoted while the Niners try out Trey Lance. Some QBs with his cachet would want to get out of there at all costs, whereas Jimmy G shrugs and I think will not make waves no matter what happens.

I actually think the Niners will regret the trade for Lance. I think it's unrealistic to think he'll come in right away and be an immediate top 5 QB. He might have a few seasons of growing pains and then maybe become a top 10, which would probably fritter away the window of the Niners core players. They would have been better off building around Jimmy G, who was a dropped INT from going to the Super Bowl last year even with how mediocre he played. Just my guess.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The last QB to start in the Conference championship and be a backup the next season was Erik Kramer of the Lions. They decided to go with Andre Ware and promptly went from 12-4 to 5-11. Cautionary tale or Detroit being Detroit?

The Lions were once in the Conference championship game? What chicanery is this?

Shocked Bbc Three GIF by BBC

Spoiler

Before I get responses, I'm aware the Lions advanced to the NFC Championship Game through gaining the second seed in the NFC and beating Troy Aikman and the Cowboys in the Divisional Round. When the media- which would include Aikman, by the way- breathlessly declare "Detroit has only won one playoff game since 1957", the Lions' 38-6 victory over Dallas in 1991 is that game.

I think it's just the Lions being the Lions. I have to correct you, though- Erik Kramer wasn't replaced by Andre Ware in 1992. Kramer was replaced by Rodney Peete (remember him?), and Kramer only got the gig in 1991 when Peete went down with an injury in Week 9 against Dallas.

It's not exactly the same situation, since the Lions were (perhaps misguidedly) going with the player they preferred as their starter all along in 1992 instead of changing who they prefer as the starter, which is what San Francisco is doing.

Fun Fact: in the 1990s, under Bobby Ross and Wayne Fontes, the Lions actually appeared in seven playoff games, which is more than they have accomplished in any decade prior or since.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I think it's just the Lions being the Lions. I have to correct you, though- Erik Kramer wasn't replaced by Andre Ware in 1992. Kramer was replaced by Rodney Peete (remember him?), and Kramer only got the gig in 1991 when Peete went down with an injury in Week 9 against Dallas.

I just looked it up and Detroit drafted Peete and Ware in back to back years. With the exception of some short running back whose name I can't recall drafted with Peete, it looks like the Lions have always been the Lions.

• LOL 2