Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Word is Bill Polian is going to become President of the Bills, so he would want his own people and that's why Marrone is taking the out he had in his contract.

Since the Bills were in flux when Marrone was hired, he negotiated that the Bills would still pay him in full next season if he opted out if the Bills were sold to hedge against the changes a new owner would bring. He could take the Jets job and the Bills would be paying him while he's trying to beat them twice a year, plus what he gets from the Jets.   I want his agent.

Wow....that shocks me even more, Polian coming back to the Bills. I had not heard that. I figured he was done, would just stay an analyst.

Is his son coming as well? Everything I read about his final time in Indy was his son was pretty much hated, and the draft seemed to decline drastically once Chris took more part in it. Manning's injury year was the tipping point in him being fired but the talent level on the team at various positions, particular OL, was on the decline well before that.

• Love 1

Blah, Bills. They had a pretty good season and now this. Wonder who the new coach (or QB) for that matter will be. Maybe EJ will figure it out in the offseason? And since they traded their first round pick this year to get Watkins, they won't be doing much damage in the draft. Big fat sigh.

Poor Arizona seems to be doomed. No Stanton Saturday, and the Panthers have looked good the past few games.

So Verizon FIOS is fighting with the company who owns my local FOX station and the station is off the air as of this morning. Naturally each side is blaming the other.

If it doesn't come back on the air, Syracuse won't be able to watch the Cowboys/Lions game tomorrow and I can only imagine the firestorm that will occur. Verizon isn't as big yet as Time Warner in this area yet but it's not small either. I hope it comes back!

Customers as hostages is unfortunately a new business model for TV.

Someone reminded me that I saw Ryan Lindley play before this season. He, against a Jets team with Mark Sanchez and Greg McElroy, played in the worst exhibition of quarterbacking I have ever seen in the NFL. The three of them combined threw for less than 300 yards. Sanchez was intercepted three times, got benched and still may have had the best day of the bunch. 

It was truly brutal.

I am happy that the Panthers won against the Cardinals today. :)  Congrats to Cam on his first playoff win. This game was not pretty. Cam was roughed up throughout the game and he had several poor throws, special teams made big mistakes, and Arizona struggled throughout the game. Ryan Lindley looked scared and vulnerable on the field.

But the Panthers got the win, and a lot of that was due to their defense. Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis were great today, especially Luke. He was fantastic.

I think that Bruce Arias is a very good coach, I like him. I think that  Arizona's season started out very promising, but that ultimately they couldn't overcome their lack of a quarterback after Carlson Palmer went down.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

I'm glad Cam won so now Tebow is not the only answer to "which Heisman trophy winning QB's have ever won a playoff game?"

Cam said in his post-game interview "when we go to Seattle..." You shut it, Cam. I hope you have to go to Green Bay.

Even though I picked the Panthers, I feel bad for Arizona. This could have been a magical year with the Super Bowl in their stadium, but too many injuries. You can mock Arians for his simplistic 'next man up' mantra, but what else could he do?

If the Cards made it to the playoffs with all those injuries, imagine what they can do when healthy.   NFC West is going to be very interesting next season.

I realized why I am unenthused about the Panthers winning, even though I picked them, I hate their owner.   Jerry Richardson is a former player, but his attitude is "I got my money and own a team now, so screw the players."  He was a HUGE moving force behind the lock out a couple years ago.

Vinny Testaverede as well won a few playoff games.

Steelers really miss Bell. That was a huge loss. Looks like Baltimore will pull this out.

No surprise really with Carolina despite the 7-8-1 record. You just can't win in the postseason with a 3rd string QB.

Huh. I must have missed part of the stat then because I read all over everywhere that if Cam won this weekend he and Tebow would be...something as the only Heisman winners. Off to google-fu to see what I can come up with.

I hate the Ravens more than Steelers so much so this is torture (sorry Danny). And then to get Ravens/Pats? Where's that sinkhole?

Ok, found it - @NFL_Stats: Cam Newton is now the 2nd Heisman QB in the last 26 years to win a playoff game (Tim Tebow).

So there was a date qualifier that I missed.

Edited by mojoween

Tebow was the last Heisman trophy winner to win a playoff game.    The question is "Who is the last Heisman trophy winning QB to win a playoff game?"   The answer is now Cam Newton.

I just love the NFL concussion protocol.   Oh, Big Ben can back in the game because it's a "neck" injury, not that he doesn't even know what city he is in.

I spent the second half of this game talking to myself - out loud - because I kept thinking about how the Ravens blew both games to the Bengals this season in the last 10 seconds (at least it seemed like the last 10 seconds).  

Thank goodness I can stop talking to myself.  I'm not really very interesting...

I just love the NFL concussion protocol.   Oh, Big Ben can back in the game because it's a "neck" injury, not that he doesn't even know what city he is in.

I don't know the specifics of how Roethlisberger got back into the game, but I think the league takes the protocols seriously for the most part. Five years ago, the officials probably wouldn't have sent Heath Miller to the bench after the hit he took late in the game last night and AJ Green would definitely have played today.

Huh. I must have missed part of the stat then because I read all over everywhere that if Cam won this weekend he and Tebow would be...something as the only Heisman winners. Off to google-fu to see what I can come up with.

I hate the Ravens more than Steelers so much so this is torture (sorry Danny). And then to get Ravens/Pats? Where's that sinkhole?

Ok, found it - @NFL_Stats: Cam Newton is now the 2nd Heisman QB in the last 26 years to win a playoff game (Tim Tebow).

So there was a date qualifier that I missed.

That still wouldn't be correct, exactly, but it depends on what that statement means. Testaverde won a playoff game in 1998. If they mean the second heisman winner in the last 26 years based on when the heisman was won, not based on when the playoff game was won, that would be correct.

Man, the league and CBS must be doing the happy dance right now.  Andrew Luck vs Peyton Manning in a playoff game is sure to be ratings gold. But  of course we won't  hear about much of anything else for the next week.

Edited by vb68

The Bengals are who we thought they were.

I know they had injuries to Green and Gresham, but still, Colts were missing half their OL and down to 4th and 5th string RBs.

Luck had time all day with a pretty poor OL. Dalton did nothing.

I kind of like the Bengals. They aren't a team I root for to lose at least, but man, they just lay an egg again in the playoffs after blowing the division title vs. Pitt.

Luck and Manning in the playoffs. Hype for that will be off the charts.

Even as a Colts fan, I won't be too upset no matter who wins that one.

No worries. I understand that not everyone can find it in their hearts to love the Ravens, but as long as they keep annoying opposing fans by being good, I'm happy. Still, I don't understand why so many people dislike Joe Flacco, when he seems like such a great (and funny, though it takes a while to figure that out) guy.

Great win, though. Playoff Flacco is a wondrous thing to see, and the Ravens defense really brought the physicality. The Steelers just seemed soft in comparison, which must be truly galling for their fans. My favourite moment? Kelechi Osemele actually being the most alert Guard I've ever seen, and having the wherewithal to see he had no one to block, then turn around and flatten James Harrison, in the nick of time, allowing Joe to throw that TD to Torrey Smith. James Hurst needed help, and KO gave it to him. He's been immense this season, one of the best players in the game that no one is talking about.

As for the other playoff games, colour me unsurprised that the Bengals failed to show up. Again. I don't even know what it is with them, but they seem like such playoff non-entities. Not even entertainingly bad, just... the football equivalent of beige. They need something to shake that franchise up and take it to the next level, but I have no idea what.

The Colts will get squashed in Denver, unless Peyton has another 'oh shit, it's really cold and my arm feels weird' game. So it's up to the valiant Ravens to prevent another Pats vs Broncos AFC Championship Game.

Meanwhile, I don't want to jinx anything, so I'll just say the playoff game currently underway is entertaining me.

• Love 1

Is anyone else watching the Lions/Cowboys game having weird sound issues? Joe Buck and Troy Aikman sound very far away and the stadium's overhead announcer comes through loud and clear. It's really annoying (unlike the game currently, which is fantastic).

I've obviously seen penalty flags picked up before, but I can't recall ever seeing one picked up AFTER the ref makes the announcement.  Looked like pass interference to me anyway.

Probably THE most blatantly obvious PI play of the season, and they pick the flag up. The conspiracy theorists are gonna have a field day with this one....and right about now I can't say I blame them.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 2

I thought that the Cowboys were very lucky in this game.  I thought that Tony didn’t play very well today. He seemed a bit nervous. He had a lot of poor throws, took too long on some them, resulting in some big sacks for the Lions. But at the end he did come through at the end with the game winning touchdown. He’s fortunate he was given the time to get that throw off. Rookie DeMarcus Lawrence of the Cowboys is also lucky that the fumble he recovered, and then fumbled again didn’t end up being a very costly mistake for the Cowboys. Because that mistake could have been costly. 

This is the furthest that the Cowboys have come in a while, I do say good for them. I think that the Cowboys/Packers game could end up being entertaining.

Regarding Detroit, I thought that Matthew Stafford played well today. He seemed calm, he definitely didn’t seem rattled.  I thought he made good throws in today’s game, and he used his legs well. I also thought that Detroit’s defense played well.

Edited by Jx223

UGH!!

Watching today's Cowboys - Lions game in the 4th quarter is really making me wish that the Cowboys don't make it to the Super Bowl. Seeing Jerry Jones & Chris Christie getting very excited like they just won the Super Bowl was vomit-inducing. It also made me sick that Joe Buck & Troy Aikman was acting like Tony Romo redeemed himself with that escape from the Lions today. I know that both of them & Roger Goddell are very happy that the Cowboys won. Hopefully, I won't see that next Sunday.

I also don't understand how that wasn't pass interference.

Edited by Magog

Still, I don't understand why so many people dislike Joe Flacco, when he seems like such a great (and funny, though it takes a while to figure that out) guy.

My best friend (a huge Steelers fan) and I were just saying last night that we'd probably really like Joe Flacco if he played for another team. 

I don't hate the Ravens the way she does, but I certainly don't like them.  I will, however, be rooting for them against the Patriots.

And I'm not in the habit of rooting for the Packers, but obviously I will against the Cowboys.

Seattle is the only team I'm rooting for in these playoffs; everything else is the lesser of evils (or lesser of "I don't care one way or the other about this team"). 

• Love 1

That non-call in the Dallas game was awful. Detroit still blew a 14 point lead though. And they had the ball with a chance to win.

Flacco and the Ravens are amazing in the playoffs, have to hand it to them. ANd I'd rather they win than NE.

It's one thing to miss the PI call, or pick up the flag, but reverse the call after the ref called it? Never seen that before. Definitely the powers of Jerry working. I hate the Packers, but I hope that they wipe the smirk off of Jerry. Feeling for the Lions and their fans.

I do have to hand it to Romo. Yes, two holding calls that prolonged the drive (which they were), but that TD throw was pretty good. Could have easily thrown it away or thrown a pick (as I was expecting).

Damn.....

How. About. Them. Cowboys.

Yeah, yeah, I get that the Lions took stupid penalties in the second half, and the 'Boys offensive line was lousy (against the #1 defense in the league) and Romo not letting go of the ball fast enough (I know, no interceptions wanted) But still....

howboutthemcowboys.....

• Love 1

Who are you and what have you done with Halcyon Days?

Fine, it was a weird call/non-call.   But the Lions led until the last 3 minutes of the game.   They recovered a fumble giving them a fresh set of downs.   They had the ball last.   At that point, the PI call has no effect on the outcome.   They had plenty of chances to win the game -- and didn't.

• Love 2

At that point, the PI call has no effect on the outcome.  

Except for the fact that the Lions were denied a chance to extend their lead to 10 points, and kill some more clock while doing so.

I do agree that Detroit had plenty of chances to win that game anyway.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Love 2

Local media outlets are reporting that head coach Ron Rivera's (Panthers) home caught fire early this morning. Everyone got out safely. No word on what caused the fire or if the home is a complete loss or not. Between this and Cams car accident they sure have either some good mojo going on or some real bad luck!

Picking up that flag is one of the more baffling things I've ever seen in the NFL. Who decided to pick it up? Why did they decide to? Where's the explanation? It wasn't one of those times where a flag is thrown, the officials confer and then pick it up. They announced the penalty, moved the ball to the spot of the foul, and then changed their minds. Fishy.

Of course, the sentiment on the NFL Network is 'well, the Lions had more opportunities to win the game after that'. Which is technically true, but momentum shifts are real, and when something happens that's this controversial, it will affect the mindsets of the players out there. Listening to that coked up idiot, Michael Irvin, defend it all and shout out the glory of the Cowboys is just the worst. God, I hope Green Bay absolutely blow them out.

The Lions should have had the game wrapped up long before that, and I think there were a couple of 3rd and long situations for the Cowboys, where the Lions really failed to take advantage, and let them convert. Those are things that do make a difference, and I'd have expected this Lions defense to keep up the aggression at all times.

The officials did give an explanation to the pool reporter after the game.    Part of the problem is that the crews for the playoffs are not the guys used to working together.   THey are individually graded during the season and the crews are created from that.   The officials from the WC games do not move on or have a chance to officiate the Super Bowl even if they do well.   

Apparently, the flag was thrown by the back judge who was 35 to 40 feet away from what he saw as PI.   The head linesman who was 10-15 feet away said "nope just face guarding not PI"   The back judge decided the HL was right and picked up the flag.   Unfortunately the ref had announced the penalty first.   He did announce the reason for the change but it was heard only in the stadium not on the broadcast who had cut away.   In a game with a regular crew together, they are used to each other and communicate more smoothly.   There should have been better communication if there was any confusion over the flag before the penalty was announced.

Or it could be a BS explanation after the fact.

• Love 2