Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I agree that the play today with the Punt Return in the Rams/Seahawks game was great. The Rams even fooled the cameraman with that play, lol.

That was great but some TV commentators are making it seem like the Rams invented that play.  They didn't. I don't know where it originated but I do remember Chicago trying the same play on Green Bay a few years ago.  It worked but it was called back due to a penalty.  It was the same thing, all the Bears drifted to one side of the field as if the punt were heading that way and it actually went the other way. 

I expected a loss, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Yes, the defense has a big hole in it because of both Willis and Bowman being out in addition to the O-line being a patchwork affair. Convenient excuse, but it won't hold water. I saw a lack of concentration in the Niner offense that was uncharacteristic with the overthrows, the dropped balls, the fumbles, etc. Denver was so stoked for the record chase that they were damned near bullet proof. In that atmosphere i think the 66 Packers, 85 Bears, 72 Dolphins or 01 Patriots would have had an uphill climb beating that team in that stadium. Manning's a class act and I'm happy to have once again been a witness to history. From my POV as a Niner fan, the good news is we at least held serve, thanks to the Rams. Both SF and Seattle are looking up at Arizona and catching them won't be so easy. Good on em.

Edited by Snowprince

I can't stand John Elway, but I can't stand Jim Harbaugh either.  I like Colin Kaepernick, but I like Peyton Manning more.  I kind of like John Fox.  So I was half-heartedly rooting for Denver tonight (and definitely wanted Manning to break that twit Favre's record).  But all in all, a very blah day in the NFL for me. 

Imagine if Peyton didn't lose a year to injury and was still playing this year. He broke the record in 56 fewer games than it took Brett to hit 508.

I was under the impression that the injury made Peyton change the way he approached the position. I mean, he is a totally different QB since the year off.

So if he didn't lose that year, he might actually be not as good -- on the Colts.

Aw, I was kind of hoping that Manning would break the record against the Colts next week. That would have been perfect... well, except for the full on media fellating of Manning and his successor, Andrew Luck. 

Still think the Cowboys will crash and burn, and turn back into the Cowboys. They've been so lucky that their offense has got away without any injuries, so far.

And my Ravens are starting to look ominous, I have to say (and, as usual, are being completely overlooked by everyone. I've never seen a team so consistently amongst the contenders that is so consistently ignored). The defense is one of the best in the league against the run, and in points allowed, and is shaping up to be better against the pass now Webb is healthy and Will Hill is on the field. And, for once, the offense actually does look more than mediocre. The run game is reliable, and Flacco is looking pretty darned good as well. Though he wasn't helped yesterday by Torrey hanging him out to dry for that first INT, and then he himself made a boneheaded decision to throw the second.

But 5-2 is pretty good. The next two games are huge, though. Bengals and Steelers on the road. If the Ravens come out of them with at least one win, then I say they win the division.

• Love 3

I'm a Broncos season ticket holder and not only was I there to witness history made with PFM's 509th TD, he held off on tossing that TD until the second quarter where he threw it on my end of the stadium, my corner of the endzone.  Right. In. Front. Of. Me.  It was awesome.  Lots of 49ers fans in attendance, and everyone I've spoken with who was there agreed that they were great fans.  Loud, enthusiastic, but not obnoxious like many opposing team fans are.  And what was really neat was they, along with all of us, appreciated Peyton's accomplishment and showed it by standing and cheering with the rest of us.  Damn what a fun night.

At the VERY end, when Harbaugh called a worthless timeout (I think it was before Dawson kicked the final PAT), someone caught a closeup clip of Peyton saying, "Why  the fuck did he call that timeout?"  Hee! 

• Love 9

I was thinking about the Peyton v. Tom argument and while this argument could actually go either way, I put more weight on what Peyton has done than Tom.

Tom came out of relative nowhere into a system he thrived under with Belichick. And it's been impressive, I'm not knocking that.

But Peyton was born to be a quarterback. And he's LIVED UP TO IT. Did he win a title in college? No. Has he lost two Super Bowls? Yes. But he also doesn't play defense, and some of their failures have cost him games. He has been consistent without controversy and I think that's important.

Jim Kelly LOST four Super Bowls IN A ROW and he's revered. I don't know why Peyton is held to a higher standard.

• Love 1
Aw, I was kind of hoping that Manning would break the record against the Colts next week. That would have been perfect... well, except for the full on media fellating of Manning and his successor, Andrew Luck.

The Colts are in Pittsburgh next week.  They aren't scheduled to play Denver again this season.  Thank goodness.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

I was thinking about the Peyton v. Tom argument and while this argument could actually go either way, I put more weight on what Peyton has done than Tom.

Tom came out of relative nowhere into a system he thrived under with Belichick. And it's been impressive, I'm not knocking that.

But Peyton was born to be a quarterback. And he's LIVED UP TO IT. Did he win a title in college? No. Has he lost two Super Bowls? Yes. But he also doesn't play defense, and some of their failures have cost him games. He has been consistent without controversy and I think that's important.

Jim Kelly LOST four Super Bowls IN A ROW and he's revered. I don't know why Peyton is held to a higher standard.

No QB in the last 30+ years as a starter has won a title in the pros and in college, so I have always thought that argument was ridiculous about the lack of a title in college, not just for Manning but any player.  ANd conversely the argument that so and so was a success in college and won a title so it means something in the pros, no, not really.  History says just about the opposite. 

brady was ON a title team at Michigan, but he was not the starter.  Brian Griese was. 

The list is extremely short of anyone who has ever done it, made murkier by the college game lacking a true playoff and their being years with split champions.  I think Joe Namath and Joe Montana may have done it, but I am not even sure about those.  So if you aren't named Joe, its a near meaningless argument

• Love 1

While I was watching Peyton Manning breaking to TD record tonight, I'm starting to shudder what a possible Denver-Dallas Super Bowl will be like if both teams keep playing well like this. It will be downright torture.

Don't even put that out into the universe.

I don't like the Broncos/Peyton Manning (and honestly it's probably just because I wanna be contrary), but all the stuff after he broke the record was so fun. I loved his teammates playing monkey in the middle with him and the ball.

The Colts are in Pittsburgh next week.  They aren't scheduled to play Denver again this season.  Thank goodness.

Oh. Huh. I got the schedules mixed up, then. Okay, well then I don't really care when he broke the record. As long as he adds a few to that record against the Steelers, of course.

Also? Still happy whenever the Seahawks lose. Something about Pete Carroll's face just annoys me. It really does, and I have no idea why.

Edited by Danny Franks

Oh. Huh. I got the schedules mixed up, then. Okay, well then I don't really care when he broke the record. As long as he adds a few to that record against the Steelers, of course.

The Steelers don't play the Broncos this season.

Alright then, well I don't care what Peyton Manning does between now and when he fails to win another Super Bowl.

There are four football seasons: How is anyone going to stop Peyton Manning?,  Peyton Manning is unstoppable!, Ohmigod, Peyton Manning is going to win the Super Bowl!, and I can't believe Manning choked again.  We are squarely in Peyton Manning is unstoppable! right now.

• Love 4

I'm a Broncos season ticket holder and not only was I there to witness history made with PFM's 509th TD, he held off on tossing that TD until the second quarter where he threw it on my end of the stadium, my corner of the endzone.  Right. In. Front. Of. Me.  It was awesome.  Lots of 49ers fans in attendance, and everyone I've spoken with who was there agreed that they were great fans.  Loud, enthusiastic, but not obnoxious like many opposing team fans are.  And what was really neat was they, along with all of us, appreciated Peyton's accomplishment and showed it by standing and cheering with the rest of us.  Damn what a fun night.

Sounds amazing. Was the Broncos' bench near you? I'm wondering if that keep-away game with the record-breaking ball was real or if it was planned. It reminds me of the way Cooper used to torture the very emotional Peyton when they were kids, the way big brothers often do. And what's funnier is that the two older brothers would gang up on Eli, but they could never get a rise out of him. Apparently, he was quite a stoic kid.

From Peyton's press conference, the keep away was somewhat planned.   They had told him all week they were going to do something like that.   He said he was upset by it, but he was trying too hard to keep from laughing to be believable.   He also said he probably deserved it after tripping on the previous play.

• Love 1

From Peyton's press conference, the keep away was somewhat planned.   They had told him all week they were going to do something like that. He said he was upset by it

That sounds like Peyton. Even if the teasing was planned, and his teammates were just messing around for a bit--they obviously were going to give him the ball eventually--it still pissed him off. Classic little brother reaction--my second-born is the exact same way.

That sounds like Peyton. Even if the teasing was planned, and his teammates were just messing around for a bit--they obviously were going to give him the ball eventually--it still pissed him off. Classic little brother reaction--my second-born is the exact same way.

He wasn't pissed off. He was joking with the press about how mean his teammates are to tease an old man who has no vertical leap or sideways agility left. The guy just has a dry sense of humour.

• Love 1

And for that reason disappointed Cleveland lost today. AFC North is not great and they had a real chance to make themselves contenders for the division, then they lose to Jax. Yikes.

That was definitely a really bad loss for Cleveland. That's just the type of game they really can't afford to lose. If they had won that game and then their next two, I could have seen them winning at least 8 games this season. Now I'm not sure what's going to happen. Maybe they can still win at least seven, maybe eight. If I was being really optimistic, maybe nine (if they win the next two games, then two out of the three division games they have coming up between Cincy and Baltimore, such as splitting wins with those teams,  and if they beat Atlanta, and Buffalo.) But right now that's looking like a big maybe.

They definitely need to win the next two games, if they have any chance of going at least .500 for the season. Of the three games in this soft part of their schedule, I had thought that Oakland was their biggest threat in upsetting them, not Jacksonville. Oakland has been hanging in there in their last two games between San Diego and Arizona. If Oakland, beats Cleveland, that will be pretty bad. That would further erode any chance they have of have at least having a .500 record this year.

But 5-2 is pretty good. The next two games are huge, though. Bengals and Steelers on the road. If the Ravens come out of them with at least one win, then I say they win the division.

I could also see them winning the division. Based off what has happened so far this season, I could see the Ravens staying/ending up on top of the AFC north. I could see the rankings ended up like 1) Ravens 2.) Cincinnati 3./4 Cleveland/Pittsburg. The season is still young, and different things can happen to affect the rankings, but I could see the rankings for the AFC north ending up something like that. I think how Cleveland ends up dealing with the next two games after this rough loss to Jacksonville could affect if they end up last or not. Also how Steelers play their next few games. I could see the Steelers possibly having the roughest time of the four teams, but then that could end up being Cleveland, depending on how they regroup after this loss to Jacksonville.

I think that it's interesting how so far the AFC north is the only division where all the teams are .500 or better. Unlike a division like the NFC South, where I see Carolina walking away with that division, because Atlanta and Tampa haven't been playing well and New Orleans has been underperforming.

Peyton looks like Eli in that picture.

I think he does too. I thought it was a really nice moment when he beat thetouchdown record last night. I liked seeing how a lot of people were happy for him when he beat that record last night, including players from the 49ers,.

Edited by Jx223

I liked how they turned Al and Cris's mics down so you could hear the stadium announcer at Mile High make the announcement to the crowd.

Funny how Thursday before last we got Houston and then again tonight, and last night we had Denver and then they are playing on Thursday night. I can see the draw of Denver but I'm surprised with the Houston love. Weren't they 2-14 last year?

I liked how they turned Al and Cris's mics down so you could hear the stadium announcer at Mile High make the announcement to the crowd.

Funny how Thursday before last we got Houston and then again tonight, and last night we had Denver and then they are playing on Thursday night. I can see the draw of Denver but I'm surprised with the Houston love. Weren't they 2-14 last year?

It's weird that a team playing in primetime one week, plays in primetime the next week. I haven't looked at this closely. But I think it happens every week.

It's weird that a team playing in primetime one week, plays in primetime the next week. I haven't looked at this closely. But I think it happens every week.

Here is what we've had so far on that front (unless any of these games were rescheduled; I'm going by what I put in my datebook when the schedule was announced):

The Colts played Sunday night week one and Monday night week two.

The Steelers played Thursday night week two and Sunday night week three.  The Bears played Sunday night week two and Monday night week three.

No one who played in prime time week three did so again week four.

The Patriots played Monday night week four and Sunday night week five.  Washington played Thursday night week four and Monday night week five.

No one who played in prime time week five did so again in week six.

The Texans played Thursday night week six and play again tonight.  The 49ers played the Rams Monday night week six and played the Broncos last night.

Greeeeeaaaaat, the Steelers finally figure things out and the Texans forget how to football just when I pick the Texans over the Steelers.   Should have known they were in trouble when JJ Watt whiffed on Romo.   Romo!!!

The Redskins haven't ruled out starting RGIII for Sunday's game. Why, Lord, why? Don't do this to Griffin. Or the Redskins fans. Give your quarterback a chance to heal.

It boggles my mind when teams do this. Washington's record is pretty much crap. There is nothing to fight for this year, so let it be. Surrender today, fight tomorrow, Or whatever the saying is. Let RGIII heal and get 100+% and try to excel next year. So many teams do this - force or allow a player to play when that player should focus on healing and properly recover for the next year. Such short sighted thinking...

• Love 2

Question: I'm still learning how the whole drafting/trading thing works. Can RG3 ask to be traded or force a trade? It seems like the combination of FedEx Field being a crappy field and Washington's management insisting that he keep playing, he's going to do permanent and irreparable damage sooner or later. Sooner, at this rate. Could he go to another team and would it even make sense, if he could?

The Redskins haven't ruled out starting RGIII for Sunday's game. Why, Lord, why? Don't do this to Griffin. Or the Redskins fans. Give your quarterback a chance to heal.

Hopefully it's just to try and force the Cowboys to gameplan for him, and they really have no intention of him playing. Not that I think RGIII takes a whole lot of gameplanning, given how he's played when he's not been crippled. But Washington should just man up, IR him and make it clear that they want to give him every day until the OTAs in the spring to heal and get fully healthy.

I guess that would upset Snyder, but someone should point out to that moneygrubbing little goblin that it's better to have RGIII for a decade than it is to have him for three years and be remembered as the team that put him in a wheelchair.

Question: I'm still learning how the whole drafting/trading thing works. Can RG3 ask to be traded or force a trade? It seems like the combination of FedEx Field being a crappy field and Washington's management insisting that he keep playing, he's going to do permanent and irreparable damage sooner or later. Sooner, at this rate. Could he go to another team and would it even make sense, if he could?

He can ask for a trade, but Washington are under no obligation to agree to one. But if he really went off the reservation and started talking about it openly, saying he didn't want to play there, he might force the issue. However, then the shady cabal known as the NFL Owners Club might just decide that no one wants to employ Robert Griffin III. 'He's trouble, he speaks out of turn and badmouths his team.'

Here is what we've had so far on that front (unless any of these games were rescheduled; I'm going by what I put in my datebook when the schedule was announced):

The Colts played Sunday night week one and Monday night week two.

The Steelers played Thursday night week two and Sunday night week three.  The Bears played Sunday night week two and Monday night week three.

No one who played in prime time week three did so again week four.

The Patriots played Monday night week four and Sunday night week five.  Washington played Thursday night week four and Monday night week five.

No one who played in prime time week five did so again in week six.

The Texans played Thursday night week six and play again tonight.  The 49ers played the Rams Monday night week six and played the Broncos last night.

Thanks. I recall this happening in years past. I wish they'd vary it a little.

Sounds amazing. Was the Broncos' bench near you? I'm wondering if that keep-away game with the record-breaking ball was real or if it was planned. It reminds me of the way Cooper used to torture the very emotional Peyton when they were kids, the way big brothers often do. And what's funnier is that the two older brothers would gang up on Eli, but they could never get a rise out of him. Apparently, he was quite a stoic kid.

I'm on the same side of the field as the Broncos bench, but down a ways.  The keep-away playfulness happened between me and the bench.  One of the receivers outted Peyton about the keep-away (the dude who caught TD509), saying Peyton approached them a couple days before the game and suggested they do it after 509.  They even did a run-through of the routine, which is totally in keeping with Peyton's preparation and attention to detail.  Peyton said he was kind of surprised that they actually went through with it.  I believe it, as he is the locker room king and while I wouldn't say he intimidates them, they all have the utmost respect for him and when he says jump they ask how high.  The only player who gets away with pranking Peyton and teasing him like he teases them is Wes Welker.

There's a documentary that ESPN did a year ago about the Manning family that I highly recommend if you haven't seen it.  It's titled "SEC Storied:  Book of Manning."  It's wonderful and will make you want to be adopted by Archie and Olivia.  It contains clips from the boys' childhood and details what you mentioned about Cooper picking on Peyton, and both of them working their tails off to try to make Eli cry.  They fought a lot when they were kids, and it concerned Archie.  They're a tight unit now, though, so it ended well, lol.

• Love 1

No QB in the last 30+ years as a starter has won a title in the pros and in college, so I have always thought that argument was ridiculous about the lack of a title in college, not just for Manning but any player.

Perhaps, but it didn't help that Tennessee won the national championship the year after Peyton graduated.

• Love 1

JB gave a stat that Phillip Rivers is 6-3 in Denver when talking about his record vs. Peyton but I think that's rather irrelevant. I would rather know Rivers's record the last two years in Denver and his record overall vs. Peyton.

If I'm remembering correctly, he actually does well against Peyton, which irritates me. I don't want to live in a world where Phillip Rivers plays like the MVP because I'm already living in a world where Tony Romo is not a fuckup and having them both be great in the same year would just be too much. I mean, a San Diego/Dallas Super Bowl means I watch the Puppy Bowl when the commercials aren't on during the game.

R-E-L-A-X Mojoween.   The Chargers either start strong and die down the stretch or suck early and go strong but don't make the playoffs.   It's not Rivers doing well against Peyton, it's the Chargers defense getting Peyton off the field and giving Rivers time to overcome his screw ups.    John Pagano talks to his brother CHuck and they got Peyton figured out.    But Peyton knows this and is working on surprising them.  

There is no way in hell that the Cowboys make the Super BOwl.   Just no way.   Not while Jerry Jones is the GM.  Some things the universe will just not allow.  

• Love 1

Colts sure didnt have peyton figured out week one, so not sure what Chuck is going to tell his brother. However SD at least during the INdy years always played Manning very tough. Beat Indy one year week 13 or so to stop an undefeated season, two playoffs losses that never should have happened, one year they intercepted Manning like 4 times in the first quarter, Manning brings them all the way back and AV missed a chip shot FG to win at the end.

I noticed that the Saints are playing on Thursday night...after playing on Sunday night.

Isn't that kind of unusual?

If they played the Sunday early or late game, at least they'd have Sunday night to recover.

It's just a couple of hours, but it seems like a world of difference.

R-E-L-A-X Mojoween.   The Chargers either start strong and die down the stretch or suck early and go strong but don't make the playoffs.   It's not Rivers doing well against Peyton, it's the Chargers defense getting Peyton off the field and giving Rivers time to overcome his screw ups.    John Pagano talks to his brother CHuck and they got Peyton figured out.    But Peyton knows this and is working on surprising them.  

There is no way in hell that the Cowboys make the Super BOwl.   Just no way.   Not while Jerry Jones is the GM.  Some things the universe will just not allow.  

Honestly, I think it would be quite funny to see the Cowboys make the Super Bowl, see all the secret fans in the media put their hats on and start crowing, see all the bandwagon fans around the USA start proclaiming their love for Romo and Murray, and for Jerruh Jones, see Michael Irvin acting like he just snorted a line of coke (even when he didn't!) before each segment on the NFL Network. And then they get blown the hell out by some unfashionable team from the AFC.

I say the Ravens, and I'm biased, because the idea of a team that's ignored as much as possible by the media, that comes from what is seen as a small market, beating the biggest publicity machine in the NFL would be hilarious. If not the Ravens, then the Bengals or the Chiefs or the Texans (Broncos, Pats and Colts are nearly as bad as the Cowboys in the media love-in stakes).

• Love 2

The story of Peyton calling out the scoreboard operator is hilarious. I'm biased because I love Peyton so the media slurpage does not bother me and I know it comes across like he can do no wrong.

But I bet the scoreboard operator will never show the other team's QB ever again. I love some of the jokes I saw on Twitter such as "Cooper Manning has been named the new Broncos scoreboard operator" and "I'm going to check Craigslist to see if there are any job openings for a scoreboard operator in Denver."

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Honestly, I think it would be quite funny to see the Cowboys make the Super Bowl, see all the secret fans in the media put their hats on and start crowing, see all the bandwagon fans around the USA start proclaiming their love for Romo and Murray, and for Jerruh Jones, see Michael Irvin acting like he just snorted a line of coke (even when he didn't!) before each segment on the NFL Network. And then they get blown the hell out by some unfashionable team from the AFC.

I say the Ravens, and I'm biased, because the idea of a team that's ignored as much as possible by the media, that comes from what is seen as a small market, beating the biggest publicity machine in the NFL would be hilarious. If not the Ravens, then the Bengals or the Chiefs or the Texans (Broncos, Pats and Colts are nearly as bad as the Cowboys in the media love-in stakes).

The Colts are loved by the media?  I don't see that.  Luck is loved by the media, but I don't know a single national commentator or supposed expert that openly is a big Colts fan or cheerleader.  There is a difference between loving the team and loving the player.  In fact I find that beyond Luck many of the national media guys are pretty ignorant and ill informed about the Colts in general.  Comments that the play by play guys make during and before games tells me they really don't pay attention to the team beyond the times they are covering the Colts games, just misinformed and wrong so often.

The Pats are by far the worst.  Thats the ESPN bias. Multiple ESPN guys who though they may not admit it obvious love all things Pats and Boston sports.    

• Love 3

The Colts are loved by the media?  I don't see that.  Luck is loved by the media, but I don't know a single national commentator or supposed expert that openly is a big Colts fan or cheerleader.  There is a difference between loving the team and loving the player.  In fact I find that beyond Luck many of the national media guys are pretty ignorant and ill informed about the Colts in general.  Comments that the play by play guys make during and before games tells me they really don't pay attention to the team beyond the times they are covering the Colts games, just misinformed and wrong so often.

The Pats are by far the worst.  Thats the ESPN bias. Multiple ESPN guys who though they may not admit it obvious love all things Pats and Boston sports.    

Perhaps it feels like the Colts get love because Andrew Luck gets so much, and because Manning did before him. Everyone in the media creams themselves over both those guys. And I resent the Colts anyway, for managing to suck for their entire (Indy based) history until they were crappy enough to draft Peyton Manning, and then for conveniently sucking again for the year Andrew Luck entered the draft.

But I agree that the Pats are the worst. Perhaps worse than the Cowboys. The mythos that's built up around that team, the "Patriot Way" BS, the utter panic that sets in amongst ESPN and NFL Network types whenever the Pats lose a game or two, the fact that any goon who once took a snap for the Pats seems able to get a job in the media afterwards (Heath Evans, I'm looking at you, here). It's all so very tiresome. Especially when you consider that this is a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl in a decade.

• Love 4

Brady and Belichick have been together going on 15 years now. I guess I should specify I meant now, in their era, not traditionally, but I assumed everyone knew I meant that.

IF we are talking about going way back to the 90s NO ONE AT ALL cared about the Colts before Manning came along. People in Indy barely followed the Colts before Manning was drafted. The Bears still had a huge following all over Indiana up to the mid 90s.