Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

With regards to what was going on that would lead to Laurel touching Digg's chest: Oliver didn't come back from a mission and wasn't answering his comms.  Digg was on his way out to look for him and asked Laurel if she was ok.  She went on about how Roy lying there unconscious reminds her of her father in the hospital in a medically induced coma.  She then affectionately put her hand on his chest and said, "Go find Oliver."  (cue dramatic music)

11 minutes ago, ComicFan777 said:

With regards to what was going on that would lead to Laurel touching Digg's chest: Oliver didn't come back from a mission and wasn't answering his comms.  Digg was on his way out to look for him and asked Laurel if she was ok.  She went on about how Roy lying there unconscious reminds her of her father in the hospital in a medically induced coma.  She then affectionately put her hand on his chest and said, "Go find Oliver."  (cue dramatic music)

Snicker. 

5 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I'm snickering at the gushing tone of those articles. Milk that GA/BC audience for everything they've got, Percy. So pandering to 'shippers is A-OK when it's a comic book writer that's doing it. And a hero's journey being aided by a woman/love interest? Also allowed in the comics. Funny how that is. 

Is he pandering to shippers? He himself says that he wanted to bring the two together eventually. 

5 hours ago, Chaser said:

I'm really curious about this. I'm not apart of the comic community. How much demand is there in the GA and BC community to reunite these two? From my limited understanding the last time these two were together it wasn't a successful run.

I guess I'm wondering if the ship war on Arrow is influencing his enthusiasm (not to say he doesn't love the pairing because he really really seems too). He was liking quite a few tweets praising the GA and BC pairing and subtlety trashing Olicity. It made me curious if he was tapping into that market. If that's the case, I wouldn't say it was too smart. I don't think the Arrow audience intersects too much with those who buy comics. MG admitted fans weren't buying the 2.5. comics that heavily featured LL. Funko Pop didn't even bother launching the Funko Pop for the show's Official BC.  

GA/BC sold like any other regular title, once the character broke up, it transitioned into a solo GA title. But the two together are successful enough to have DC name them their #2 power couple. 

And the GA/BC statue being the #7 best selling "toy" for March, beating out Superman/Batman.
http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=166142

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Is he pandering to shippers? He himself says that he wanted to bring the two together eventually. 

MG et al have consistently said that Olicity happened because of the actor chemistry and that they had been planning it for a while. It just so happened that the audience happened to like that decision. But they still get accused of fan pandering.

So when Ben Percy says “Readers are aching for the reunion of Green Arrow and Black Canary, and we’re finally going to give it to them.” ( http://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-rebirth-1) how is that not considered pandering? He flat out admits it.

Like I said before, I don't care who ships what of whatever audience gets fan serviced. But the show gets trashed for the exact same stuff Percy is promoting. In the immortal words of Laurel Lance, "It's the hypocrisy I can't stand."

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 15
(edited)

The only thing I'm gonna say is why didn't they just call the rebirth title 'Green Arrow and Black Canary' because clearly that's their focus?

Hmm...could it be that romance sells? Perish the thought! :P

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 3
(edited)

And Percy get trashed for the same stuff the show is promoting....or for comics doing its own thing, and not aligning to its superior TV source.

Its evened out in the hypocrisy department....I dont care who wants what and why, "its hypocrisy and the hypocrisy over hypocrisy I cant stand". 

Hey, if this new series gets the comic canon crowd to focus on their comic books and finally leave the TV show alone then I say it's a win-win for everyone.

They are always going to be some who want  everything, on both sides. Win win?,  nah I doubt it. 

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 1

I liked a lot of the  interaction between GA and BC in the animated series and if there is a market that's clamoring for it, more power to them, but the plot point that I'm side eyeing is that Oliver deliberately loses his money because he wants to be Robin Hood?  Sell the business and lose the time drag of managing his money but there is not particular nobility in being broke.  Especially when you are trying to be a secret vigilante. The lack of logic (and him being so young) is putting me off. 

Hope Dinah is the smart one in the pairing. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

GA/BC sold like any other regular title, once the character broke up, it transitioned into a solo GA title. But the two together are successful enough to have DC name them their #2 power couple. 

And the GA/BC statue being the #7 best selling "toy" for March, beating out Superman/Batman.
http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=166142

Er, the #7 best selling "toy" (that is, figurine) through DIAMOND, which is the primary distributor for DC COMICS, but NOT the primary distributor for DC licensed MERCHANDISE, though they do handle figurines and some (limited) action figures and some gaming products. Diamond is NOT the primary distributor for Hasbro, Lego or Funko Pop, which means that its lists may not be indicative of actual unit sales from these manufacturers.

These facts are reflected in that list, which, you might note, includes only one Funko Pop product and one standard action figure (the Deadpool action figure) and otherwise is a list of specialty figurines and statues - the sorts generally kept locked in a display case at specialty comics retailers. If you check the prices, the DragonBall Z figurine seems to be retailing at around $80; the Captain America figure at around $100 to $150; the Lady Deadpool figure at around $70; the Joker and Harley Quinn statue (which is pretty cool) at $190 to $210; the Green Arrow and Black Canary statue for about $190 to $215; the and the other Harley Quinn statues for about $100 to $150. In other words, these are for the most part products for high end comics collectors, with overall unit sales through comics distributors in the low thousands if that.

Also, Diamond distributes to independent retailers and bookstore chains. It does not distribute related merchandise to the leading U.S. toy retailers - Toys R Us, Walmart, Target, or Amazon (although it does distribute to some Amazon associates) which together compromise the vast majority of U.S. toy sales, which is a separate problem. This list also does not include sales through Alibaba.

So, basically, this is a single list for a single month from a specialty comics distributor that just happens to leave out the major toy retailers, most Amazon sales, and Alibaba, and a list, moreover, that doesn't include any actual unit sales. But let's try to move past all that for a moment, since this list does have some interesting things to say - like, for instance, that Deadpool outsold all other action figures (including, let's note, the Arrow action figures) at comics specialty retailers in March, though it's very possible that this is because some comic stores were betting on the fact/hope that at least some of the larger retail outlets would refuse to carry the Deadpool action figure because the movie had an R rating. 

It also states that the Green Arrow/Black Canary statue was originally released back in August 2015. I was curious, so went and took a look. Turns out, the Green Arrow/Black Canary did NOT make this list back in July 2015 (which would have included August pre-orders.).  Or in August 2015.  Or in September 2015.  Or in October 2015. (This was the month where the Black Canary action figure was remaindered because of low sales.) Or in November 2015. Or in December 2015. Or in January 2016. Or in February 2016.  (And just to make extra sure that I hadn't missed preorders, I checked June 2015. Nope.) 

In other words, this statue was not a bestseller during its first month of release, or when Black Canary and Green Arrow returned to the TV screen. Rather, what seems to have happened is that when comics retailers heard the spoilers about Laurel's death, they ordered additional Black Canary/Green Arrow statues anticipating that her death might spark a rise in collector interest. 

• Love 13
41 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

That list is still valid enough, even if it is for comic book shops, coming in at #7 after being out for so long is hella good and considering BvS was coming out coming out ontop of them was great. 

Perhaps I'm reading the list wrong, but isn't that the number of figurines comic stores ordered from the distributor to sell in their stores, not the actual number of figurines sold to customers? So, it seems comics shops expect some demand for it - maybe because of Rebirth - but that list isn't indicative of actual interest based on sales? Seems like if the figurine is on next month's list that might be a better indicator of interest/popularity?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

That list is still valid enough, even if it is for comic book shops, coming in at #7 after being out for so long is hella good and considering BvS was coming out coming out ontop of them was great. 

It's a valid enough list that is arguing the exact opposite of what you are trying to suggest that it is arguing. It states that the Black Canary/Green Arrow statue did not sell for eight months, and then only sold when the character was getting killed off, an indication that DC might not be licensing future merchandise for the foreseeable future. Even then, it was outsold by six other toys, in a list that does not include the action figures sold through Walmart, Target, and ToysRUs, where Spider-Man action figures consistently outsell all other products. If those action figures were included - in other words, if you were looking at and comparing actual sales figures from DC, Marvel and Madman, not a list from one distributor who doesn't sell of those items and/or is not the primary distributor for all of these items - this statue would appear considerably lower.  

And no, none of this is a guess. That particular figurine had a limited run of 5200 units.  Not only is this fewer than the number of Spider-Man action figures Target sells in a week, if additional units could still be ordered in March and appear on this list, then the Black Canary/Green Arrow figure sold fewer than 2500 units between August and March. 

This is apart from the huge, hulking elephant in this entire discussion - Disney delayed the releases of new action figures and figurines until April and May to match the Captain America street date, so this list reflects a month where one of DC's chief rivals largely withdrew itself from competition. 

Having said that, I will concede this point: the DC Comics Bombshell Black Canary statue, now taking preorders for June shipping, is outselling a number of other DC statues right now. Including the Black Canary/Green Arrow statue. Admittedly this particular Black Canary looks nothing like Laurel and isn't associated with Oliver Queen, and it, too, has a limited run of just 5200 units, less than a drop in the bucket compared to Arrow's 2.5 million viewers - who in turn are less than a drop in the bucket compared to Captain America's viewers just today.

And, well, I also must note that the top ten DC statues right now include two Batgirls, two Jokers, two Batmen, and only one Black Canary.  Also, a Supergirl figure based on the television show - a television show that CBS is hesitating to renew because it doesn't think the show is popular enough.

• Love 9

Let's say that DC is planning on using the character in a movie, it seems insane to me that anyone that held the name couldn't continue to be promoted as a version of the character.  Why couldn't they say Arrow's Deadshot?  They still say Adam West's Batman.  Or is that only allowed outside of comic shops.  Seems a really hard core way to control the message. 

(edited)

Having said that, I will concede this point: the DC Comics Bombshell Black Canary statue, now taking preorders for June shipping, is outselling a number of other DC statues right now. Including the Black Canary/Green Arrow statue. Admittedly this particular Black Canary looks nothing like Laurel and isn't associated with Oliver Queen, and it, too, has a limited run of just 5200 units, less than a drop in the bucket compared to Arrow's 2.5 million viewers - who in turn are less than a drop in the bucket compared to Captain America's viewers just today.

So there another one without "Oliver" & "Green Arrow" tattoo on her arm??? 

So they dont want money?,...... interesting.

Edited by WildcardC
(edited)
21 minutes ago, WildcardC said:

So they dont want money?,...... interesting.

If this is true, they're just asking comics shops to take down KC's Arrow promo. People will still buy Black Canary merchandise without her name tied to it. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

If this is true, they're just asking comics shops to take down KC's Arrow promo. People will still buy Black Canary merchandise without her name tied to it. 

Oh Ok so its just removing her name but not the toys, get it now, thanks.

38 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Is it possible WB is just adhering to some contractual thing since she was let go? Like, not promoting/making money off her likeness when she's no longer on the show? 

Quarks is more knowledgeable but, i wouldn't be surprised if it was something along those lines. I can see them not wanting to pay her likeness fees or licensing fees for using her image.

• Love 1

That would explain something that nagged at me.  Those good licensing fee contracts are a relatively modern thing (In the last 20-30 years, lol) which would IMO explain why I've never heard of anyone worrying about Adam West's Batman or Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman.  They probably stopped getting a cut long ago.  

(edited)

Green Arrow and Supergirl get redesigned for Rebirth storyline
by EAMMON JACOBS on MAY 8, 2016
http://heroes.direct/comics/green-arrow-supergirl-redesigned/

Green Arrow and Supergirl get brand new costumes in sketches for the Rebirth event.

We absolutely love the style of the new Green Arrow costume, mixing elements from his classic look, The New 52 run and Arrow all in one. This new sketch was created by Otto Schmidt. It brings the classic Van Dyke style goatee/moustache combination whilst utilising the hood, armoured vambraces and legs. It’s very clear that DC are trying to combine the look of the TV shows and the comics to make it easier for fans of either to cross over to the other. That’s one of the reasons that Diggle has been introduced into the comic continuity.
The Supergirl costume also looks relatively similar to her TV series counterpart, trading out the New 52 Leotard look for the classic skirt and boots look. The blue top is alot lighter than the series, but this works pretty well against the bright red of the skirt and cape. We also love how the sleeves come down over her hands, it’s a stylish little flair by the artist, Brian Ching. The way her cape is bunched around her shoulders make it look as if she’s wearing shoulder pads, which is a distinctive style choice, but looks pretty cool.

GARebirth-768x592.jpg

SGRebirth-768x408.jpg

Edited by tv echo

Is anyone following the story of Eddie Berganza?  He's in charge of the Superman imprint at DC and apparently has had several women state that they experienced sexual harassment, including two possible physical assaults.  People started talking about this on twitter last month when Shelly Bond was let go--a firing that is unrelated to Berganza--but has really blown up in the last few days as several of the biggest comic websites did detailed write-ups, including the biggest, Comic Book Resources.   Apparently, DC kept him after the first allegations surfaced in 2011, but demoted him, but their only other action was to a) not hire any women to work in his office for the Superman stories, and b) prohibit him from going to Comic Con, where some of the most egregious behavior happened. His harassment seems to have been an open secret, to the point where Greg Rucka, the new Wonder Woman writer, wouldn't work with him and was shifted under the Batman line. 

If this is true, he's a scumbag and should be punished, but DC's actions as an organization are equally terrible. Here's Comicbook Resources:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/sexual-harassment-allegations-against-dc-editor-eddie-berganza-become-public

And here's The Outhousers, which did a write up last month when allegations first came out and did a follow up today:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/135185-dc-comics-reportedly-investigating-another-sexual-harassment-allegation.html

• Love 4

Color me not at all surprised at the DC Comics sexual harassment story. Gross. I hadn't actually heard about it before which says it all, IMO. They probably wanted to keep it all hush hush.

• Love 2
(edited)

Hmm... blue for boy, maybe? (see logo pic below)

DC Entertainment Introduces New Identity For DC Brand
By Official Press ReleaseTuesday, May 17th, 2016
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/05/17/dc-entertainment-introduces-new-identity-for-dc-brand

DC Entertainment announced a new identity and logo for its iconic DC brand.  The new DC logo is a mark that leverages over 80 years of heritage with an eye toward the future. 

“While comics continue to be the heart and soul of DC, the brand has evolved to now stand for powerful storytelling across so many different forms of media.  DC is home to the greatest Super Heroes and Super-Villains, and the new logo has the character and strength to stand proudly alongside DC’s iconic symbols,” stated Amit Desai, DC Entertainment Senior Vice President of Marketing and Global Franchise Management.

“The launch of the new logo is the perfect tribute to DC’s legacy, exciting future and most importantly, our fans.”

The new logo will debut on the cover of the highly-anticipated DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH SPECIAL #1 comic book written by Geoff Johns releasing May 25 and available in comic book shops and digitally.  REBIRTH represents the next chapter in the ongoing saga of the DC Universe, mixing traditional values and a modern aesthetic.

“I’m very proud that REBIRTH will be the first comic book published with the new DC logo.” stated Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer.  “To me, REBIRTH and the new DC logo are built on what’s come before while looking to what will come tomorrow.  I can’t wait for people to see it on the cover.”

ul3A_R7i_400x400.jpg

Edited by tv echo

I prefer the pre52 blue logos,  but probably just because that's what I grew up reading.   And I hate the new52.  Also the new one looks like. ..a stamp or something. 

• Love 1
(edited)

LOL I don't get the "Arrow is just a soap opera/ romance show" argument... Now even more if the whole GA/BC rebirth spoiler above is acceptable. 

That's just terribly cheesy and terribly written :p I got so much second-hand embarrassment reading that..

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 21
Just now, bijoux said:

What are you talking about? That's some hard hitting action there, not lame, icky feelings.

lolllllll

Oh man, I actually can't wait to see how that romance unfolds because it honestly looks terrible. 

Hopefully GA fans have something else to latch onto (like the plot).

• Love 5
(edited)

What is this, The Vigilante Diaries? Gossip Green Arrow? Oliver's Creek? Where's the manly man badass Green Arrow with his macho goatee that lets no woman control him or distract him from fighting?

Oh wait. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 13
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Rebirth looks like it will do a good job of fixing all of New52s short comings.

In New 52, Oliver had werewolf aids... So it's not really a high bar to leap over. 

Regardless. Hope you get what you want out of the comics. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

The only thing I've seen that's different is that they're hooking up GA and BC. Is that what you mean?

And Oliver is not a werewolf anymore. So that's something.

That is 1 page of a 80 page special.

Just now, Chaser said:

I hope for those who are looking forward to this series that the writing is better than that snippet.

Cause that right there is bad fan fiction. 

That's not even part of the GA comic. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

That is 1 page of a 80 page special.

That's not even part of the GA comic. 

I'm genuinely curious because I don't read comics so maybe this is something that I don't know...

How can that snippet be 1 page of an 80 page special yet not be a part of the GA comic?

• Love 2