Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

I wouldn't even say the new 52 was the best idea marketing wise. To me it always seemed like a temporary fix for their problems. Which is why they have to keep doing these reboots or convergences or what have you.

I didn't mean to imply trolling, sorry, I used "trololol" without thinking too much about it.

But it is kind of jerking readers around. Reboots are a useful marketing tool because #1 issues tend to sell more than any other comic book issue. And I mean, all marketing is about getting new people into your product, but reboots are just plain blatant about that. It disregards the existing readership in a hilarious way.

But it was bound to happen anyway. They've been soft-rebooting titles left and right for a couple of years now.

• Love 2

Since this is now comics canon, I'm gonna need this to happen on the show. For the lulz.

Excuse me, madame, the comic canon argument only applies to when it's about Laurel/Oliver. And even then it's selective comic canon. Come on!!! You should know this by now. 

• Love 6

Excuse me, madame, the comic canon argument only applies to when it's about Laurel/Oliver. And even then it's selective comic canon. Come on!!! You should know this by now. 

I reject this and DEMAND to see Werewolf!Oliver before April. This is clearly why they changed the outfit. He needed to have his arms showing!

• Love 2

I reject this and DEMAND to see Werewolf!Oliver before April. This is clearly why they changed the outfit. He needed to have his arms showing!

CONTROL YOURSELF. I can only see this happening if a full moon happens to be on Arrow Wednesday...

...God I'm dreading March 23rd

[yes I did research when all the full moons are. It's not lame. It shows dedication.]

• Love 2

YES! Make it happen, Show.

Seriously though, presumably adding Felicity and Diggle either caused sales to lower or, at least, not rise, which is why the series was rebooted (though I know rebooting is just the way both DC and Marvel roll,) and you're telling me this was better? Really?

• Love 3

Ta da! Here's the summary, but calliope1975's link explains it all.

ffPi91ql.jpg

Holy shit. What the actual fuck.

I though you guys were all kidding, as I slowly scrolled up the page. It isn't 1st April, is it?

This reminds me of that Werewolf movie which was MST3kd so well, in which the guy transforms while he's driving, and so for a few glorious moments, a werewolf was driving a car. I mean, how can Oliver even use a bow and arrow, with huge furry paws?

• Love 2

Seriously though, presumably adding Felicity and Diggle either caused sales to lower or, at least, not rise, which is why the series was rebooted (though I know rebooting is just the way both DC and Marvel roll,) and you're telling me this was better? Really?

The comic is selling much better. Although from reading comments on reviews it seems like the GA fans aren't really happy because this isn't GA. The author is basically writing Detective Comics/horror stories.

Here's a review that seems to capture GA fans feelings.

http://weirdsciencedccomicsblog.blogspot.com/2015/11/green-arrow-46-review-and-spoilers.html?m=1

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I'm not saying that Kriesberg's run as author was great, but getting cut short so quickly annoyed me because all he'd done was set up to get the characters into position.  I was really curious what they were actually going to do with them finally. 

The comic is selling much better. Although from reading comments on reviews it seems like the GA fans aren't really happy because this isn't GA. The author is basically writing Detective Comics/horror stories.

Here's a review that seems to capture GA fans feelings.

http://weirdsciencedccomicsblog.blogspot.com/2015/11/green-arrow-46-review-and-spoilers.html?m=1

My favorite parts from that review:

I've done nothing but dread this title since August.  Let me fill you in real fast.  We've got ourselves a bone obsessed cult, who kidnapped Oliver's wolf: George, after we spent an issue hearing his secret origins from a psychic and then Tarantula and Green Arrow made their way to Mexico to get him back.

[snip]

Anyway, after the backstory, we see Tarantula and Oliver showing up in Juarez and stopping by the bar that Tarantula owns and lives out of............where Oliver is immediately suited up after taking off his shirt and begins pouring himself a beer to get the taste of the Black Canary song he heard on the radio out of his mouth............. What the hell am I reading?  Nothing like our heroes trying to drink at a bar in costume when they're trying to take down a bunch of murderers......... who also steal pets......nonsense.

Wow, just wow.  Suddenly Arrow's writers are looking a LOT better. 

• Love 1

More on the DC Comics reboot rebirth...

The Top 5 Things We Know About DC Comics Rebirth! Spoilers! Plus More From EVS!
John Babos | January 26, 2016
http://insidepulse.com/2016/01/26/the-top-5-things-we-know-about-dc-comics-rebirth-spoilers-plus-more-from-evs/

DC Comics teases a 'Rebirth' of their line for a second time within five years
Alex Widen  January 25, 2016 10:29 PM MST
http://www.examiner.com/article/dc-comics-teases-a-rebirth-of-their-line-for-a-second-time-within-five-years

Edited by tv echo

I need help from comics readers. I just saw a referencec on Tumblr to comics Roy spending "a few years armless". How was he not armless after those few years? Comics medicine, he re-grew an arm, he died, he was written out, there was a reset?

I need help from comics readers. I just saw a referencec on Tumblr to comics Roy spending "a few years armless". How was he not armless after those few years? Comics medicine, he re-grew an arm, he died, he was written out, there was a reset?

The New52 reboot gave him back his arm.

• Love 1

So I just learned something new.

CZ1xFZ1UAAAy7XJ.jpg

He beat up street thugs with a dead cat! Now, I realize this is sick, but I want some sort of tribute to it on the show. Hey, they managed to work the boxing glove arrow in! 

But, dude, it sucks to be comics Roy even worse than the show Roy.

• Love 3

If anyone is interested, January was not a good month for Arrow related comics

Red Hood Arsenal - 22.9K (25.7K in December) 

Green Arrow dropped to 22.1K  (30K in December)

Black Canary dropped to 15.7K (21.6K in December)

There's a rumor going around that BC might not survive the reboot.  Others are saying they're relaunching a BoP title to replace BC...not sure if either rumor is true since I can't find any articles.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

These are all rumors still...

Rebirth Rumors and Thoughts on the Direction of DC Comics
By C. Anthony Burdette on February 5, 2016 at 11:01 AM
http://blog.timesunion.com/comicbooks/rebirth-rumors-and-thoughts-on-the-direction-of-dc-comics/4923/

3. The following books are supposedly being canceled:
a. Batman/Superman
b. Superman/Wonder Woman
c. Grayson
d. Starfire
e. Black Canary
f. Midnighter
g. Doctor Fate

Would really hate to see Midnighter go but I could also see them either using him with other Wildstorm properties or as part of a possible NIGHTWING: Rebirth (hopefully written by Steve Orlando). Starfire will probably move to the rumored TITANS book or possibly part of a new BIRDS OF PREY with Black Canary
I like my Comic Book Universe and I like some aspects of the TV/Universe but that is what they are separate entities. While it is not always a bad thing to bring characters from the TV/Movie Universe, introducing Diggle and Felicity from ARROW into Green Arrow title was well executed and done in a manner that it added to the story, most of the time “easter eggs” or name-dropping characters from the comics in the shows just gets annoying and takes away from development of the main characters or storyline. The biggest offender is GOTHAM, maybe that is why I can’t stand to watch it on a consistent basis.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I actually lost some respect for both Malcolm and Nyssa. The old Ra's was in position for hundreds of years and Malcolm just takes off straight after his ascention when his position has to be precarious especially since he slid into it under the radar. And Nyssa doesn't take advantage of this opportunity to stage a coup?!

DC All Access made a list of their top comic couples, with GA/BC at number 2.

As someone who didn't read DC comics (I grew up a Marvel fan) all I learned based on the summaries is how badly DC writes their couples. Some of those love stories sound seriously messed up.

Huh. That actually explains why all the instances of Oliver and Laurel saying and doing horrible things to each other are perceived by L/O supporters as signs of true love. Their fucked up-ness is comic canon.

I think you are definitely onto something. The problem is that what seemingly works in the comics (and God only knows why that shitshow of a relationship does because serious WTF? going on there) obviously doesn't translate well to TV. I have to give credit where credit is due that for all of Arrow PTB's faults they realized this early and course-corrected ASAP.

• Love 5

Did I miss BatCat? They were my favorite. And Grayson and Gordon were below GA and BC. That doesn't seem right.

Mind you, I have never read the comics. I only have my preferences from BTAS.

BatCat have never been in a actual relationship i believe except for on E2. GreenCanary are more consistent/longterm with their relationship then Babs/Dick which is probably why they topped them.

Though they didn't have a constant off/on relationship, after the first kid reveal they broke up for a long time and didn't get back together until she felt he had changed.

Edited by Primal Slayer

...neither of those things are true. Selina and Bruce were definitely in a relationship through Hush and War Games. While Dick and Babs were a couple through early Bop/Nightwing through Officer Down and No Man's Land and didn't break up until right before War Games.

• Love 1

That's why i said i wasn't sure if BatCat were eve an official couple.

GA/BC stand out more to me which is why they probably seem longer to me.

Babs/Dick got together in 1999, Ga/BC since the 80s if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Primal Slayer

There's a rumor going around that BC might not survive the reboot.  Others are saying they're relaunching a BoP title to replace BC...not sure if either rumor is true since I can't find any articles.

It looks like DC's "Rebirth" plans have been officially announced, and the above appears to be true. No solo BC comic, but a new BoP, and a Green Arrow Rebirth. Lots more detail here.

• Love 1