Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Off-Road Eats in Arizona

Before the six remaining teams make it to Flagstaff, Ariz., Tyler Florence calls them up to let them know that their first challenge is underway: The team who sells the most in Flagstaff will get a one-hour head start to their next stop, Sedona, Ariz. In Sedona, the teams must make a dish incorporating the local delicacy, rattlesnake/rabbit sausage, and leave the comfort of their trucks to sell from Pink Jeeps.

Adam needs to sign a deal with Kleenex. From what the other two said, he cries all the time. And his right eye needs help. (ETA, I am glad he let everyone know below what was wrong with his eye. Bless him)

$15 saved the pink dumpling girls. Wow. At least their truck is rolling again.

• Love 2

The real winner this episode? The Sedona Board of Tourism. Gorgeous.

No kidding!  I've never been to that area and now would really like to go.  The scenery was stunning.

I'd thought the Italian truck would be in it a lot longer but, after watching them tonight, I wasn't surprised to see them go.  If I were checking out the trucks and deciding which to buy from, I'd probably reject the one with the heavily bearded guy in a black t-shirt who looks a little less than sanitary.  I'd gravitate toward the waffle boys who look cute and non-threatening and clean.  The one boy has a droopy eyelid which is hard to ignore when he's on camera so much.  I had to laugh when his brothers commented that he was crying "again" and just smiled and shrugged.  He must cry a lot.

I'm disappointed in the minimal time spent in Flagstaff.  Guess I'll have to reminisce some other way :)  I wonder if timing was bad for sales since this was filmed during summer break for the university. Because I'm a total dork, I looked, and there was only 0.30 inches of snow that day.  And Sedona wasn't that much warmer.  Whiners!

I realized during this episode that Waffle Love's truck's paint job is quite effective in its bright visibility to draw in people driving by. I'm also thinking their profit margin must be pretty high based on their components.  

Even if it isn't really my business, I was curious if Adam had ever explained his eyelid "thing."  (Mostly because of my own vision history where I've had an eyelid close without me realizing it because my brain wasn't processing that eye's sight.)  I found this on the Waffle Love facebook page, posted tonight:

Adam: "we've been getting a lot of comments about my eye as the Great Food Truck Race has been airing & tonight we had some kind & honest questions I'm glad to answer.
All my life, I have had a paralyzed nerve in my right eye. I can't see much out of it, can't move it in all directions, and can't keep it fully open or closed. It results in a sort of perma-wink which I'm pretty sure helped me get my hot wife.

Spice It Up can go home.  The whole "voted best curry in America" thing angered me.  And maybe things have changed, but northern Arizona folks don't necessarily like when Phoenix people come up, so no, "home turf" isn't really accurate.  (As an example, while I lived there, people would talk about the idiot Phoenicians driving up to play in the snow, parking on the side of the freeways, and letting their kids basically play on the shoulders.  Urban legend or reality, it represented the opinions of those southern AZ folks!)

• Love 6

The dumpling truck must be the luckiest truck ever on this show, $15.00 is all it took, & they're still there. I'm sick of the mommies, & the waffle boys just annoy the hell out of me.

• Love 5

"Voted best curry in America" is tied with "We want it more than any other truck" for Most Annoying Conceit. 

Those sandwich people should have come up with an acronym for Tyler to use, as instructed. 

• Love 3

LOVE Sedona.  Especially before it became a strip mall.  (What can I say...I've lived in AZ my whole life.)  I was just talking about a road trip with some friends tonight.  It's time to see Sedona, Oak Creek and Flag again.

As for the show...HATE the waffle boys that can't even remember their siblings names.  HATE the boo-hoo I'm a Mom and I'm doing it for my kids.  HATE the NY boys 'cause people eat more than burgers. 

Phew.  Guess I've more love than hate...although I will admit to wanting to try a waffle.  (runs and hides)

As for the show...HATE the waffle boys that can't even remember their siblings names.  HATE the boo-hoo I'm a Mom and I'm doing it for my kids.  HATE the NY boys 'cause people eat more than burgers.

Actually, they were doing Italian food. It's the Orange County (California) dudes who have the burger truck.

But the New Yorkers did seem a little fish-out-of-water in Arizona. When the bearded guy yelled "hey ladies, we're coming for you" it sounded like a threat.

I find the waffle brothers annoying, but I think they will be around for a while. They have a couple of advantages. Their food is very simple to make. (Pour the batter in the waffle iron, add different toppings). And being the only sweets/dessert truck sets them apart from the others. People might've already eaten lunch (or dinner) and still want to try a waffle with chocolate or strawberries and whipped cream.

Great Food Truck Race has now joined this year's editions of Master Chef and Food Network Star in having a contestant (or team in this case) annoyingly playing the "mom card." I'm already tired of hearing of hearing the Spice It Up women talk about the great sacrifice they made to be on this show. There are working mothers who are out of the house 10-12 hours a doing crappy jobs to help feed their families. That's sacrifice.

Well, I guess we have to be glad that the "Spice Girls" are apparently not single moms. Because that would probably double the amount of self-entitled whining.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 8

I like the Spice Moms, although I agree about the annoying stuff.  I like them because they are playing smart - they innovate for their market, such as creating vegetarian entrees, and it looks like they do have good food.

The waffle guys are OK but I think they annoy me more because of the waffle truck from a few seasons back (that marathon showed a few days before episode one) and those guys really bugged me so it's a carryover dislike.

The real winner this episode? The Sedona Board of Tourism. Gorgeous. I was looking at airfares during the show.

I live in the South East and have never been out West and I was thinking the same thing. I really want to go to Sedona now. It looks amazing!

Anyway, Waffle guy's eye was driving me crazy. Every time he was on I kept thinking he looked like Matthew Broderick's character from Election after he was stung by a bee.

• Love 1

I'm disappointed in the minimal time spent in Flagstaff.  Guess I'll have to reminisce some other way :)  I wonder if timing was bad for sales since this was filmed during summer break for the university. Because I'm a total dork, I looked, and there was only 0.30 inches of snow that day.  And Sedona wasn't that much warmer.  Whiners!

I realized during this episode that Waffle Love's truck's paint job is quite effective in its bright visibility to draw in people driving by. I'm also thinking their profit margin must be pretty high based on their components.  

Even if it isn't really my business, I was curious if Adam had ever explained his eyelid "thing."  (Mostly because of my own vision history where I've had an eyelid close without me realizing it because my brain wasn't processing that eye's sight.)  I found this on the Waffle Love facebook page, posted tonight:

Adam: "we've been getting a lot of comments about my eye as the Great Food Truck Race has been airing & tonight we had some kind & honest questions I'm glad to answer.

All my life, I have had a paralyzed nerve in my right eye. I can't see much out of it, can't move it in all directions, and can't keep it fully open or closed. It results in a sort of perma-wink which I'm pretty sure helped me get my hot wife.

Thanks for posting this.  I hope it serves to curtail some of the unthinkingly dismissive "needs help" type of comments.  Some disabilities are more evident than others, and apparently make some people uncomfortable.  I'm glad that Adam can maintain grace and a good sense of humor about it.

I was wondering how the teams could manage to keep any of their food warm and palatable during the silly pink jeep challenge.

• Love 2

The real winner this episode? The Sedona Board of Tourism. Gorgeous. I was looking at airfares during the show.

it really is beautiful.  And I recommend the Pink Jeep or Pink Van tours (depending on the terrain, they have a bunch of tours).   the guides are knowledgeable and very good.   They have a Grand Canyon day-long excursion from Phoenix/Scottsdale that's very good. 

Back to the contest.   The Dumpling truck that sells CORN DOGS?  Didn't they buy the corn dogs, split them open, but stuff in them,  and sell then at like 10 times the price?  Seems   like cheating to me.  Corn dogs aren't an ingredient, they're a cheap kiddie meal.

• Love 5
Sigh. Sedona? Rattlesnake? Pink jeeps? I just don't know where to go with this one. I bet they get the pink jeeps so the pho truck girls can get their truck fixed and sell, or some other production mess.

My mom did a tour out to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. It included the pink jeep trip. She loved it.

Most often talking dumpling girl is as cute as a dumpling, but "we used the rest of our money from the first week (after being towed all over town) to rent a truck for the rest of the way" is flat-out bullshit and there really is not even any fantasy world where it could be true. 

• Love 8

I laughed when the Waffle boys approached someone to sell rattlesnake hollandaise and the person just said, rather wearily, "No, thanks, we've already eaten the rattlesnake." 

So I guess the Spice Girls are not SAHMs (the opening credits call them "working moms"), so, like most others here, I cannot take any more of their whining about "how hard we work" and "how hard it is to be away from our kids." Because, really? The other trucks aren't working hard? The other trucks don't have family or friends that they miss? Ya'll keep saying you're doing it for your kids...why, exactly? Cos, you're not demonstrating golden work ethic with your constant whining, so stop. Just...stop. 

Is this because I"m not a mother or because I was raised by a wire monkey?

I was wondering how the teams could manage to keep any of their food warm and palatable during the silly pink jeep challenge.

So was I. Was very glad nobody spent $15 on congealed Hollandaise and cold rattlesnake. Because...ew.

I realized during this episode that Waffle Love's truck's paint job is quite effective in its bright visibility to draw in people driving by. I'm also thinking their profit margin must be pretty high based on their components

I have to give them credit for this, too. It's also a psychadelic sort of design and that makes me think that they're trying to draw in the hipster/trendy crowd, which is smart, because that crowd will pay big bucks for something on trend. 

Uh, Italian food folks? You gotta have more of a marketing strategy than "We're from New York! We're all the way from New York!" Wow! I've never seen a live New Yorker before! 

• Love 5

I guess I'm rooting for Postcards as people as of this episode, because Grae is incredibly adorable, and her parents are appreciative. The mac & cheese wrap is probably something I'd try at least once. 

I guess the dumpling truck is the other team I'm rooting for? They don't seem incredibly savvy, but haven't been in the biz very long, either. They seem like good people, and some of their food sounds appealing. 

Too bad Diso's didn't last longer - I still say their food sounds good, but they didn't make smart choices.

I am so. tired. of the burger kids. Especially the most often talking one. The one who talked at elimination isn't so bad. They're too bro-ish, in general, and their food looks really heavy.

Spice moms & waffle love both really irritated me, as people, though their food looks/sounds good. 

• Love 2

I guess I'm rooting for Postcards as people as of this episode, because Grae is incredibly adorable, and her parents are appreciative. The mac & cheese wrap is probably something I'd try at least once. 

I would as well. My grandmother makes the same chicken/mac and cheese/collard greens combination and I've enjoyed it most all mixed together going back to when I was a kid.

She doesn't do wraps though.

• Love 1
Spice moms & waffle love both really irritated me, as people, though their food looks/sounds good.

Yeah, they're the teams I like the least, but they definitely have the food I want to eat.   

I want the spice moms to stop trying to PROVE anything.  Yeah, you can cook food and run a business even though you have female parts and gave birth?  What does one have to do with the other?   It's 2015, ladies -  women work.

The Waffle guys -  there's is something about their attitude that i don't like, but their concept is genius.  They can offer a savory waffle for people who want lunch/dinner, or a sweet waffle for someone who had a meal, but could use a dessert or snack.  AND -  they probably have the best profit margin on their food, as well as the easiest prep. 

The NY guys  -  something tells me that Sedona is  the place where if you say you're from New York, people are  not only not impressed, they will walk fast to get away from you

• Love 4

Even though I think a corn dog bahn mi sounds unappetizing, I'm also rooting for the dumpling truck. It's obvious that they work hard and have struggles, but they don't want pity to lead to their success. (I know thus might be producer manipulation.)

If I remember right, the older woman in Postcards is a family friend of the father/daughter. I appreciate how supportive that team seems to be of each other.

• Love 1

I was okay with the  "Voted Best Curry in America" although I would probably feel differently if they wrote it on the side of their truck. Technically, she didn't lie when she said it  - she was the only one that voted. Perhaps knowing her "trick" will make some viewers at home think first when they hear that sort of propaganda - People tend to be too quick to believe any statistic and don't question what it really means.  After all, 43.7% of all statistics are made up (wink-wink). If I were one of the people walking by, I would take her comment with a grain of salt, because joking like that was really common in my family growing up - saying things that sound one way until you really think about what they said.

The one comment that did get me (more of a "huh?") was the woman (not sure which truck) who said she wanted to win this competition so they would be the best food truck in American.  I don't think that is what this competition is about.  

I really want to eat a chocolate stuffed waffle.  I don't even like waffles that much, I guess I just need chocolate.  

• Love 1
The NY guys  -  something tells me that Sedona is  the place where if you say you're from New York, people are  not only not impressed, they will walk fast to get away from you

When they kept getting the "we're from NY, we're hustlers and we can sell anything" cut, I figured their time was coming up.

I really want to eat a chocolate stuffed waffle.  I don't even like waffles that much, I guess I just need chocolate.

Liege waffles are completely different than other kinds of waffles - more like a pastry, and the batter has little pearls of sugar, which get all crispy and crunchy.  I've only had a liege waffle once, and it was wonderful.  

• Love 2

Never had a liege waffle and did not listen closely enough to know Love waffles were different. Now I need one! But those guys kind of bother me too. Too earnest? Too much hokum? Too? Something? I dunno.

At this point Postcards and Pho are my faves.

I'm not crazy about the burger guys but I would certainly try their burgers. Were they the team looking for jalapenos in the big box? And really, no jalapenos in that place? Color me amazed.

Dosi's Adam reminded me of Adam Levine but I can barely remember what they made. Maybe because of Adam Levine. And I'd kind of like to forget Pho's corndog.

• Love 1

Actually, the Waffle Love guys grew on me this episode. I can see the problems connected with having 14 brothers/sisters. The older kids may not even know the younger ones depending on how many years separate them. Plus, the brothers are trying to get to know each other while being in a stressful competition. I applaud the older one for creating a way to earn a living.

The "moms" however are working my last nerve. It doesn't matter what show I'm watching (Shrak Tank, Masterchef, etc.), I just want to scream that there is no prize for being a mom. And? Dads miss their children too! Stop telling me how much more you are sacrificing because you are a mother...

I think the Italian truck made a mistake in marketing sandwiches as it sounded like just regular deli sandwiches. When I saw the meatball sandwich it looked really good, but I hadn't realized that was their specialty. I think potential customers may have chosen other trucks as the food sounded better than a 'deli sandwich.' Also, I think they were a little off in their hustling. I personally wouldn't care if they were from New York; all I know is tht I wouldn't want someone coming towards me aggressively.

• Love 3

I'm not crazy about the burger guys but I would certainly try their burgers. Were they the team looking for jalapenos in the big box? And really, no jalapenos in that place? Color me amazed.

And yet there were habaneros!  I was also amazed.

• Love 2

I have had waffles like those (we have a local chain of restaurants that does them) and they are wonderful.  I still don't like the waffle boys...they were kinda creepy when they were wandering trying to sell their rattlesnake benedict.  But my biggest problem with them is they don't seem to actually cook (hollandaise in a blender?).  The Spice Girls do seem to cook, but they do need to get off that cross...someone could use the wood.

I don't see how they keep winning.  Even if it's a dessert I don't see lots of people dropping huge cash for the kids to eat a waffle, each.

Our local waffle place took off because high school girls hung out at the original location to flirt with the cute Belgian guys who worked the stand.

• Love 1

It's how I've always made mine, Four egg yolks, lemon juice, and olive oil drizzled in the top while the blender is running. Fresh tarragon, we're good to go.

I am old school...double boiler and I am convinced it would be better if I sprung for the copper bowl rather than using glass:-)

• Love 1

Actually, the Waffle Love guys grew on me this episode. I can see the problems connected with having 14 brothers/sisters. The older kids may not even know the younger ones depending on how many years separate them. Plus, the brothers are trying to get to know each other while being in a stressful competition. I applaud the older one for creating a way to earn a living.

I see all sorts of other problems with the "14 brothers and sisters" scenario.  None of which have to do with food,

• Love 5

I often use a modified version of Julia's blender recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, never had it break and taste and texture is the same as the double broiler version which I still make (i have a copper bowl) because I am weird and find it soothing but if making it for a crowd it's the blender because it frees up a burner.

The fact that due to the nature of their normal dishes they don't have the same cooking equipment as other trucks (no flat top perhaps other things are missing) and they had to use their main burner for cooking the sausage the blender (if people knew how to use it) was the perfect solution.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Most often talking dumpling girl is as cute as a dumpling, but "we used the rest of our money from the first week (after being towed all over town) to rent a truck for the rest of the way" is flat-out bullshit and there really is not even any fantasy world where it could be true. 

I caught that too. Obviously they did not rent a food truck "for the rest of the way" for a few hundred bucks. The producers stepped in and financed them. But I think that's a good thing. Given the concept of the show, no one should be eliminated solely on the basis of their truck breaking down.

As annoying as I find the Spice It Up women, I have to admit that they would be my first choice for whose food I'd want to try. While every one else seems to be doing the same old same old, their sound food sounds like it has some originality. And they've gotten a lot of great comments from the diners. It makes me curious as to where these white women from Phoenix got the bug about cooking curries. I also wish we got some more specific information about the spices they use, as "curry" is really a generic term, meaning a spice blend. Are they cooking Indian curries, Thai curries, Caribbean curries etc?

Edited by bluepiano

The teams make several thousand dollars each weekend.  I don't think they've ever said, but I assume the teams get to keep that money in lieu of a stipend to cover their travel expenses and lost time from work.   

The Spice Girls can go home any time now. The Mommy martyr schtick got old in the first episode. Now when they start it I zone out and try to figure out how many plastic surgeries the one woman has had -- Miss "I voted us the best curry in America. Isn't that funny?" No, it's not. Go home.

I want to like the waffle boys. They're so earnest and wholesome and Adam Devine-like and I totally expect them to bust out into "Hello! My name is Elder Waffle...." at any minute. But I just don't like them. Maybe because they're so earnest and wholesome and maybe because they seem to be selling an obscene amount of waffles and it doesn't seem like the others can compete.

At this point I'm rooting for the Pho-nominal girls, maybe because they're barely scraping by each time. I like the Postcards people too, though, so I'm willing to switch allegiances.

• Love 2

The teams make several thousand dollars each weekend.  I don't think they've ever said, but I assume the teams get to keep that money in lieu of a stipend to cover their travel expenses and lost time from work.

Their weekend sales were $2,318 for the first weekend which is what they said they used to rent the truck fir the rest of the time which clearly wasn't enough to rent it for a few weeks not to mention get a custom wrap on the vehicle in such a short amount of time.

I am fine them staying and think the penalty of having to pay $100 each time they were moved even though that was not the actual cost was more than sufficient. Though I did wonder if The Guava Tree was offered a mechanic for $100 who could have more efficiently repaired there generator. I.just wish the show had been honest and said "because you finished the last leg and your vehicle was unable to be repaired we supplied a new truck for the duration of the show. Any issues that happen during legs are your responsibility but if ant truck such a significant issue appropriate accommodations will.be made.

Never had a liege waffle and did not listen closely enough to know Love waffles were different. Now I need one! But those guys kind of bother me too. Too earnest? Too much hokum? Too? Something? I dunno.

Too Osmond family?  Too Duggar Family?

• Love 10

Too Osmond family?  Too Duggar Family?

It's too something, because judging by the comments, they bug a lot of people (me included). I don't know what it is, but they just set my teeth on edge.

• Love 3

Liege waffles are completely different than other kinds of waffles - more like a pastry, and the batter has little pearls of sugar, which get all crispy and crunchy.

I'd never heard of a liege waffle and wondered what that meant.  Thanks for the explanation.  They sound yummy.

I don't see what others are finding cringe-worthy in the waffle boys.  I like them but I seem to be in the minority.  I noticed that at least one of them is wearing a wedding ring so they must be older than they look.

• Love 1