Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

When Sean answered Chicago Alex started to say something and he trailed off with "...country" and I kinda felt badly for him because that was so not what he wanted to say but it sounded like he lost his train of thought in the middle of his sentence. Matt would have plowed over him and gone to the next pick.

• Love 5

That Tom guy was a real trip. I spent the entire game doing an impression of him for my husband's amusement: holding a pen in my right hand to buzz in, stroking an invisible cord, and striking lots of "provocative" poses against the coffee table while making brooding duck faces like I think I'm Brad Pitt or some shit. Even my 6-month-old was laughing.

• Love 6

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Sean ran the "war" category and then there was… silence. As in, no applause. Don't we do that anymore?

I noticed that too and then assumed it was because we had less than a minute to go, so maybe the applause was cut for time or the audience didn't want to waste the time with applause.

I like Sean, despite his board-hopping. Therefore, he won't be around long.

I missed FJ and then slapped my head when it was revealed. I noticed the "appropriately," but couldn't get my brain to think of Springsteen, which is weird because I thought about '"We are the World," by USA for Africa, on which Springsteen performed. However, I wasn't sure it was a full album and was pretty sure it was produced in 1985 instead of 1984. By then, I'd completed run out of time.

• Love 1

Tom was quite attractive, but so, so twitchy.  I wouldn't have minded looking at him a bit longer, but the constant movement would've driven me crazy, so just as well that Sean won.  And quite impressively, too.  Sean's cool.

I answered Purple Rain for FJ.  D'oh!  (And I even own a copy of Born in the USA.)

• Love 1

I also guessed Thriller for FJ; the significance of "appropriately" went past me.

Ditto. I was positive that Thriller was correct, and then I was kicking myself for not paying attention to "appropriately." I think Beth guessed The Terminator because she focused on "blockbuster" and just got confused.

I was pretty sure that Thriller came out in 1983 (the year I graduated high school) so I ruled it out right away but forgot about the "BRUUUUUCE" phenomenon of 1984 and unfortunately "appropriately" went right over my head as well.

That Tom guy was a real trip. I spent the entire game doing an impression of him for my husband's amusement: holding a pen in my right hand to buzz in, stroking an invisible cord, and striking lots of "provocative" poses against the coffee table while making brooding duck faces like I think I'm Brad Pitt or some shit. Even my 6-month-old was laughing.

I was waiting for him to break out his Blue Steel for us.

I feel like a real idiot, but can someone explain why "Born in the USA" being the first CD ever is "appropriate?" Was the compact disc invented in the US? That confused me a bit.

Yesterday's FJ clue in its entirety (the bolding is mine): "Appropriately, this 1984 blockbuster was the first music CD mass-produced in the United States"

• Love 2

I thought Thriller was younger than that, or I would've guessed it.  Then I remembered that year I lived in an apartment next to a train track - in 1984 - and I SO identified with that line in "I'm on Fire" about a freight train running through my head, so I settled on Bruuuuuuce.

(When I bought the condo & moved in 85, I slept for 14 hours in blessed silence.)

• Love 2
I will not defend his guess of The Sea of Japan. Yikes.

I know, right? And it was even shown highlighted on a map!

Alex thinks he can "do" a Pepe LePew...so THAT'S what his French accent is all about.

Alex saying he can "do" Pepe LePew can be taken two ways. (He left off the "a".)

I also need to brush up on my Looney Tunes. I just couldn't remember Michigan J. Frog.

I watched Looney Tunes every chance I got, and I've never heard the frog having a name. Even hearing the name doesn't make me remember he had a name. So don't waste your time brushing up on LTs!

I spent the entire game doing an impression of him for my husband's amusement:

I hope you got some selfies to post for our amusement.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I don't understand why.  The R is there.  I've even heard a TV chef say, "tumeric" - and it annoys the hell out of me.  Do the dictionary folks liken it to February?  But the R's on the wrong side of the U there.  GGRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr

February is really a pet peeve of mine.  Why can't people say the R (it's there!).  I grew up with it being pronounced and then at some point it became trendy to drop the R. I feel the same way about turmeric.  pronounce the R for pete's sake.  I hate that common usage can eventually change how words are pronounced.  But I feel the same way about what's happening to all the STR words. I hear it more and more these words are being pronounced as if they have an SCH in front of the T (Schtrong, for example).  I hate it.

• Love 2

I had no idea what the correct answer was for the Shakespeare DD, but  Titus Andronics has been popping up a lot lately, so that is now my default answer when I don't know.  And I was right.  Seems like sometimes the writers get stuck on an answer and use it over and over until the novelty finally wears off.

• Love 3

February is really a pet peeve of mine.  Why can't people say the R (it's there!).  I grew up with it being pronounced and then at some point it became trendy to drop the R. I feel the same way about turmeric.  pronounce the R for pete's sake.  I hate that common usage can eventually change how words are pronounced.  But I feel the same way about what's happening to all the STR words. I hear it more and more these words are being pronounced as if they have an SCH in front of the T (Schtrong, for example).  I hate it.

Oh my lord. I didn't even know turmeric had the first R in it. That's how infrequently I've seen it, I guess. 

Agree with the latter point, too. 90% of the time my last name is pronounced wrong with the same issue. Think saying "Schmitty" instead of "Smitty." I'm like "that is an entirely different name, folks!"

• Love 1

Thanks proserpina65! I guess the "in the United States" bit makes it make sense. I forgot that part.

It took a while for CD production to ramp up in the States, all the earliest discs sold to consumers were made in Japan or Germany.

February is really a pet peeve of mine.

The word "for" is a pet peeve of mine. Midwesterners have the habit of saying "fer" or "fur" instead of "for." Very irksome. And extremely common. It's also common to say "worsh" when one is going to "wash" the car. ACK! Drives me nuts. At least turmeric and February aren't said that often. "Go worsh yer hands fer dinner, Junior!"

• Love 3

The word "for" is a pet peeve of mine. Midwesterners have the habit of saying "fer" or "fur" instead of "for." Very irksome. And extremely common. It's also common to say "worsh" when one is going to "wash" the car. ACK! Drives me nuts. At least turmeric and February aren't said that often. "Go worsh yer hands fer dinner, Junior!"

I am born-and-raised Midwestern so I might be biased, but when it's a matter of regional pronunciation of vowels I try not to get too bothered, because at least it's just an accent thing. Another example is that the vowel sounds in the words book and room are identical. I've been mocked many times for it, so now I know when to code-switch. But yeah, words like library and February and nuclear have obvious pronunciations that should be respected, dammit! I am not a crackpot!

The "worsh" thing is gross-sounding to me. Hilariously, nobody who says it admits it. They're like "I never say that! Stop lying!" Completely bizarre. 

• Love 2

I am watching a Jeopardy rerun and "Michael" the challenger is asking for questions rated X "hunnert" dollars. Over and over and over. ACK! "Tropic Port for two hunnert, Alex."

Maybe it's regional, but it is really getting on my nerves.

I became aware of my Midwestern "worsh" and "fer" when, in college, I dated a student from Hong Kong, who spoke English with a British accent. He made fun of the way I taled. Now, for a foreign person to point and laugh at the way an American speaks English .... that's an eye-opener. I quit dating him, but I DID fix my way of speaking.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I am watching a Jeopardy rerun and "Michael" the challenger is asking for questions rated X "hunnert" dollars. Over and over and over. ACK! "Tropic Port for two hunnert, Alex."

Maybe it's regional, but it is really getting on my nerves.

I became aware of my Midwestern "worsh" and "fer" when, in college, I dated a student from Hong Kong, who spoke English with a British accent. He made fun of the way I taled. Now, for a foreign person to point and laugh at the way an American speaks English .... that's an eye-opener. I quit dating him, but I DID fix my way of speaking.

LOL that reminds me of the Canadian who made fun of my harsh "a" sound in "cat" back in college. I was like "sohhw-ree, but you don't know what you're talking aboot." ;)

• Love 2

As long as we're topic-adjacent....

I thought Thriller was younger than that, or I would've guessed it.  Then I remembered that year I lived in an apartment next to a train track - in 1984 - and I SO identified with that line in "I'm on Fire" about a freight train running through my head, so I settled on Bruuuuuuce.

I was 10 in 1984, and that song gave me the serious wiggins! "Hey little girl is your daddy home" in that voice I knew was sexy just gave me the creeps. 

• Love 3

I'll be checking your posts because the World Series has pre-empted the show starting tonight and FOX doesn't re-run it. That will happen three times this week.

Edited by mojoween

I was shocked, simply shocked, that Alex Trebek didn't use the Italian pronunciation of "campanile." Campa-neel? WTF?

Yeah, the "mutt" answer sucked, yes Alex didn't specify 3 letters, but every other answer/question had 3 letters. That lady kinda sucked, bless her heart.

• Love 3

I haven't been home to watch Jeopardy! lately, and we don't get it on Thursdays because of football :( ). We missed most of tonight but caught FJ--one of the easiest ones I have seen in a while! Talk about an instaget!

• Love 1

That "mutt" overturn was bull.

When Alex announced that category at the beginning of the show  it did cross my mind that the writers might do something like that so I wasn't surprised "mutt" was reversed. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do, it just didn't surprise me.

Did not get FJ but it was a head smack moment when it was revealed.

Some of you mentioned last night's contestant being very good looking (I thought so too) but I also think Sean is very handsome.  I would love to be in one of his law classes:)

Hmm I'm sure someone else can say it verbatim but I think it was something like "On an alphabetical list of signers of the Declaration of Independence, he falls between Hall and Harrison." (I might be slightly off but it's something like that) Answer being: John Hancock, most famous signer of them all.

I was wondering if they would have accepted "fen" instead of "bog."  There was some other response where she added a syllable - it was still correct, but Alex sounded like he wasn't expecting the other syllable and had to think before he ruled her correct.  Something like blatant/blatantly - that's not it, but it was that type of response.

• Love 2

I was shocked, simply shocked, that Alex Trebek didn't use the Italian pronunciation of "campanile." Campa-neel?

I was even more shocked that he didn't adopt much of a French accent when he was supposed to be a Parisian cabbie, or a British one for the Piccadilly Circus clue.

• Love 1

There was some other response where she added a syllable - it was still correct, but Alex sounded like he wasn't expecting the other syllable and had to think before he ruled her correct.  Something like blatant/blatantly - that's not it, but it was that type of response.

It was for a clue in the "Bet" category where the answer should've been "betray" but she said "betrayal."  And her answer was wrong, but they gave it to her.  She was getting all the mercy rulings for some reason.  I'd like to force those judges to sit through a tutorial on parts of speech someday.  Because sometimes a noun and a verb are the same, but sometimes they aren't.  It's not that hard.

• Love 4

I was so mad I didn't get Hancock. Geez! I know something like three signers, and one of them is Hancock. I did have a couple of glasses of wine, so that's my excuse.

Hah! It's my go to excuse for getting an answer wrong. I can always picture Carrie Nation wagging a finger at me. :)

• Love 1

I'm fairly sure that Jayne was my tablemate for my ill-fated Kansas City in-person test. I remember her being some kind of professional do-gooder, not a web developer, but she was personable and smart and pretty, so I'm fairly sure it was her. I posted when I got home that I thought we'd be seeing her on the show.

• Love 1

When Alex announced that category at the beginning of the show  it did cross my mind that the writers might do something like that so I wasn't surprised "mutt" was reversed. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do, it just didn't surprise me.

It was fair, but I'm convinced she would have said "mutt" even if Alex had specifically said these were 3-letter words, just because she'd already forgotten a category ('P's on Earth).

• Love 7

I'll be checking your posts because the World Series has pre-empted the show starting tonight and FOX doesn't re-run it. That will happen three times this week.

Same here except they run it at 11:35 pm. And guess who forgot to watch even though I stayed up late for it? I'm an idiot sometimes and could kick myself for missing it.

• Love 1

I almost got tripped up by Alexander Hamilton as well.  I started walking through the alphabet...HAL, HAM...and hit Hamilton, but I realized he wouldn't have been influential enough to be in Congress at that point.  Then I continued on to HAN and got it.  (I blame the Broadway cast album for a case of Hamilton on the brain.)

I have no idea what happened to Alex and his magic accents in the cabbie category.  As mentioned above, the French one died out halfway through (he seemed to pause at the 27, and I wonder if that threw him), and I have NO clue what he was going for in London. 

I knew Titus Andronicus yesterday, primarily from the Julie Taymor film.  I only bring it up to say that The Tempest is my default Shakespeare answer when I have no clue.  I wonder if everyone has one of those.

Yeah, only a trick question because Hamilton is so in the air right now. I mean, without any other part of the clue, saying "Name a signer of the Declaration of Independence" would get most people to Hancock pretty quickly!

• Love 2

When I first saw the FJ clue I thought what the heck, who would ever get that, and then I read it again and said oh my gosh, they want a signer whose name begins with H.  Duh.  Yeah, it's sort of like being hit by a ton of bricks when it does hit you.

• Love 2

Yesterday's three contestants live within three hours of each other, they could have ridden to LA together. I wonder if that was on purpose. I would think the show would try to cover the map better. Do any of our former contestants here know how the vacancies are filled before each game? Is it roulette/potluck or is there a rhyme/reason to who goes next?

All three Midwesterners would have easily guessed Hutchinson is in Kansas without the Wichita gimme!

I do like the champ. Nothing to complain about there, which makes my posts smaller and fewer.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

When I first saw the FJ clue I thought what the heck, who would ever get that, and then I read it again and said oh my gosh, they want a signer whose name begins with H.  Duh.  Yeah, it's sort of like being hit by a ton of bricks when it does hit you.

It should be simple but one of the contestants used Alexander Hamilton.  Last week, I noticed that the American Revolution category was chosen last by the contestants.  This category was chosen with a reluctance usually reserved for opera or ballet categories.  What the hell?

I'm glad that my Fox affiliate started airing Jeopardy at 5 pm (CST).  If I couldn't watch it for three days, being pissed would only scratch the surface of how I would feel.

• Love 1

In greater Boston, we're having late-night airings Weds-Fri, thanks to the Patriots game on Thursday. Usually  just the Thursday and Friday schedules are screwy during football season, which is bad enough. 

It should be simple but one of the contestants used Alexander Hamilton.  Last week, I noticed that the American Revolution category was chosen last by the contestants.  This category was chosen with a reluctance usually reserved for opera or ballet categories.  What the hell?

I guess my stupidity worked in my favor on this one.  There are only three people I absolutely know to have signed the document, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin and John Hancock.  And whenever I see a picture of the document, what stands out is the huge signature of John Hancock.

• Love 2