Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Tulip

• Start Topic

It was a cheap trick, but I enjoyed there being so many possibilities for the grave.

Connor was missing again.  Maybe he's dead and his absentee family hasn't noticed yet.  Bridget is probably the only one that would normally notice, but she's too busy trying to bang her teacher.

I don't care about Ray cheating on Abby, but did he have to do it with Tinsel Teeth?

I feel like this episode ended too upbeat (for this show) and too many things wrapped up too cleanly.  I hope Avi doesn't get caught with the fake passport.

• Love 2

The writers are to be congratulated. After some really rough patches in what was inevitably going to be a difficult season to write, it appears that they might thread the needle.

They really need to have Ray start changing from his self punishment regimen, not because it is unrealistic that someone with Ray's history would do that for years, or even decades on end, but because it is boring. Don Draper's stasis killed Mad Men, and there are people, the most interesting people, who do change. You can't write 5 seasons of Ray Donovan using booze, sex, and violence to bury his self-loathing, and if Romero is the vehicle which gives the writers a way to illuminate the full complexity of the character, good for them.

Finally, let it be noted again that Ian McShane is freakin' great.

• Love 4

Aside from being an engaging and generally well-written hour, I love this show for being one of the few dramas on television that is (1) truly unpredictable and (2) often returns to loose threads and strands from previous episodes. The sheer length of the "previously…" at the beginning of the episode is usually a good indication of how many of those story lines will be revisited. 

I was convinced Helen would be the one in the body bag (knew it wouldn't be Romero, especially not with Ray burning the case file), but lo and behold! It was Finney's clandestine gay lover/son-in-law Varrick instead. What a costly outburst for Finney. He may no longer have to pay Varrick any hush money but that impulsive act of agression will now cost him $90M in the land deal with Napier thanks to Ray's hard bargaining skills. 

The sound of the snake charging at Helen was totally incongruous. It sounded like a cartoon slap. I hope the sound director is reprimanded for that gaffe because it really pulls the viewer out of the scene.

A lesser show may still have had some sort of reconciliation between Avi and Ray as necessitated by circumstance, but would have swept Avi's guilt about killing Kate under the rug.  Speaking of Avi, anyone else notice his Elmer Fudd-esque speech impediment? He talks like a baby (ie. saying "twue" instead of true). I'm not sure Steven Bauer's Israeli accent is on the money either.

I was glad the show runners decided not to take the easy/predictable route and play into the tired tropes with Bridget's calculus teacher. He seems to be a man of substance, but lets see how long their relationship remains this chaste. I was half expecting Bridget to get on her knees and have her way with Donellen when he passed out from his pain meds. It wouldn't surprise me if she does something stupid like send him nude selfies or sexts if and when he rebuffs her again, implicating him in a private school sex scandal. Lets hope that isn't the case.

Abby surprised me with how almost likable she has recently become. All remnants of the nagging, shrill shrew seem to be gone for now. She really is best when she isn't interacting with her immediate family or ephemeral cop lover. I still can't shake the awful, clunky dialogue from last year (ie. "Can we go to a hotel and have sex?") . Its like she's been body-snatched.

In other news, Paige is still annoying as ever. I don't understand the reasoning behind giving this character braces. It's bad enough that Katie Holmes speaks out of the side of her mouth. Why give her an additional oral impediment that contributes to her speech affectation?

• Love 5
(edited)

I agree that Abby is so much more tolerable when she isn't interacting with Ray or her kids. I think the difference is that she loves Terry unconditionally and without any expectations.

When Varick showed up at the Finney house, I was like come on, this is why you have to take someone's keys when you fire them AND when you break up with someone.

And hey, all it took was Albert killing Finney for Ray to get the band back together!

Mr. EB watched S1 and then quit the show. Tonight he came into the room while I was watching this episode and his only comment was, "What happened to Katie Holmes's teeth?"

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Best episode of the season.   

I do not get Katie Holmes being given this role.  Have they ever explained why an adult with her money would have old fashioned metal braces?  Invisalign much?  

I don't like the daughter skulking around her teacher (KEN!).   Maybe we don't need to know what the kids are doing.   Treat the kids like they did on Everybody Loves Raymond.  We knew they existed, but the show wasn't about them, and they rarely had story lines. 

So glad to see Ari back. 

• Love 2

I had a feeling it was going to be Varrick the first time he got rejected at Finney's house for some reason. I wish it had been Paige. I'm not even slightly sorry about that. Ian McShane was great last night.

I feel so bad for Bunchy. If he had ran his mouth to someone on the street, then yeah, maybe he should question his judgement. But he was taking steps to help himself, and reached out to what is generally known to be a secure place (support groups in general), and of course, was preyed upon/targeted by this guy. He was conned. He wasn't being stupid at all.

I like that Abby is acting like a sister-in-law whose been in the family for 20+ years with Terry (and Ray, being completely understanding they should help his brother if he needs it.) However, when Ray got home that night, Abby said they should go to bed, and Bridget was at the teachers house. Connor I can write off, maybe Abby knows he's with his mattress (and for all we know, he is.) But that means Abby was off being good sister-in-law missing the fact that Bridget apparently never came home from school or anything, and that's where I go back to both Ray and Abby need to get their kids shit together before helping out other people. Bridget even confirmed to the teacher she's lonely... and her parents made no mention of where the hell is she. 

• Love 1

Whenever I see the kids in this show it reminds me of a young man and his sisters. I was Parks and Rec person at one of the parks and they would come everyday.  Teenagers who had absolutely nothing to do all day, never having to be anywhere.  It all came out one day when I asked if they were going anywhere special for vacation like some of the other kids. No, because their dad was a doctor, was never home and their mother had passed away a few years earlier. There was only them, the maid/cook... day in and day out. Kids like Bridget and Conner do exist in real life but I still find the two of them annoying.

I, too, wish the Bridget and her teacher storyline was not a part of the show. It's kind of creepy. 

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 2

I feel so bad for Bunchy. If he had ran his mouth to someone on the street, then yeah, maybe he should question his judgement. But he was taking steps to help himself, and reached out to what is generally known to be a secure place (support groups in general), and of course, was preyed upon/targeted by this guy. He was conned. He wasn't being stupid at all.

For a Catholic Priest to violate the norms of a support group like Bunchy's, to elicit information pertaining to a crime, even the crime of murder, is extraordinarily vile, in that doing so greatly threatens the ability of any of those hugely suffering humans in that group, and really, all groups, from AA, to all the emulate the AA model, to obtain the means to alleviate their suffering. People who are enduring these hells need to be able to have confidence that they won't be targeted in these settings, and doing so makes the model unworkable. For a guy like Romero to use that setting as a means to get to Ray, through Bunchy, via deceit, and then blather to Ray about the need to repent, is simply grotesque. Frankly, his assertion that the murdered priest had repented is contemptible as well. Up to the time Ray shot him, the child raper was claiming that his extraordinary act of predatory violence was engaged in out of love, and apparently the child raper never publicly admitted to all his crimes. Some repentence.

This theme is rich with dramatic possibilities, if the writers treat it thoughtfully. If they turn to make Romero a largely sympathetic character, that's pretty morally grotesque as well. 

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 8

For a Catholic Priest to violate the norms of a support group like Bunchy's, to elicit information pertaining to a crime, even the crime of murder, is extraordinarily vile, in that doing so greatly threatens the ability of any of those hugely suffering humans in that group, and really, all groups, from AA, to all the emulate the AA model, to obtain the means to alleviate their suffering. People who are enduring these hells need to be able to have confidence that they won't be targeted in these settings, and doing so makes the model unworkable. For a guy like Romero to use that setting as a means to get to Ray, through Bunchy, via deceit, and then blather to Ray about the need to repent, is simply grotesque. Frankly, his assertion that the murdered priest had repented is contemptible as well. Up to the time Ray shot him, the child raper was claiming that his extraordinary act of predatory violence was engaged in out of love, and apparently the chid raper never publicly admitted to all his crimes. Some repentence.

This theme is rich with dramatic possibilities, if the writers treat it thoughtfully. If they turn to make Romero a largely sympathetic character, that's pretty morally grotesque as well. 

Great analysis...

It bothered me that the priest spent his time harrassing the victims rather than counseling the abusers. 

And isn't funny how Abby's character annoys most viewers and Mickey, who does horrible things, is the opposite? 

• Love 4

I agree that Abby is much more likable when she is interacting with the in-laws.  Just let her hang out with Terry, Bunchy, even Mickey and Daryll from now on.

Bridget and her teacher have now taken the exit ramp to Creepy Town and are headed to a motel off the freeway.

Ian McShane really sold it this episode, I totally bought him as a closeted gay man acting out his repressed rage.

Mickey and retired card player was an interesting scene.  You could tell Mickey was repulsed looking at a guy who is content to stop living and resign himself to cards and lawn bowling until he ends up in assisted living.  Mickey's greatest fear is becoming that guy.

The scene with Avi and Ray at the dig was great, though the first cut following fish and game woman getting snake bit was jarring and awkward.  My first thought was that they were burying her, lol.

Lena socking that woman was hysterical.

Ray and the priest was also a great scene.  Like others, I would also like to see Ray go on some kind of a redemption path, though circumstances will keep pulling him back into dangerous situations.  Especially with Mickey around corrupting his brothers and causing trouble.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

Is Bridget 18 yet? She was still a minor when Cookie was alive. How much time has passed?

Ray will take his stadium money and donate it to Romero.

Detective dropped a big hint that Mickey should throw some cash her way...

• Love 1

And isn't funny how Abby's character annoys most viewers and Mickey, who does horrible things, is the opposite? 

Abby really has a Carmela Soprano problem. She really, really, likes the material comfort provided by Ray's line of work, even as she is driven to extreme anger by what comes with it, and it may be just as difficult for Abby to pursue divorce, compared to Carmela, since Ray must retain a greater appearance of legitimacy than Tony Soprano, even if Ray is less sociopathic in his use of violence. Abby isn't nearly the sentimental hypocrite that Carmela was, however, so I'm a lot more sympathetic to her than I ever was to Tony's wife.  

Having said that, Ray could make a nice living in a lot of different cities, while leading a very normal, mostly daytime working hours existence, and be home at a normal time most every night. Even if Ray wanted to do that, however, Abby really doesn't want that either, because she is very much a striver, in terms of her spouse bringing in as much cash as possible, even it means him being called away constantly, and sometimes having sex with other women. This is where the concept of revealed preference becomes a powerful tool by which to understand human beings.

Mickey is a sometimes very funny,  towering, narcissistic violent sociopath.  It is weird how the complete lack of conscience, if joined to a sense of humor, can charm people.

• Love 2

I wish the show had stayed more with Ray, Lena and Ari working on cases..

That would have been one awesome show!

That, perhaps, is what made the show Damages so intriguing. They didn't have insignificant characters hanging around mucking up the storyline. Because of the rest of the cast it kind of makes re-watching the series not as cool as some others like The Wire, etc....

That "priest" is one sick fucking fuck. 

What makes me inclined to think that the writers are going to handle this chracter correctly is that they gave Bunchy lines, later in the episode, in which he says the lesson he takes away from his abuse by Romero is that he can't go to meetings and discuss his life openly with other people. Think about that. A guy who has been utterly traumatized by a Catholic priest raping him as a child, to the point that he has extraordinary difficulty developing relationships with other human beings, and thus lives his life in utter dysfunction and near constant pain, has now been abused by another priest, and thus thinks he can't open up in a setting which until now has been one of the few places where he can reduce his suffering. All so the latest priest can deliver a lecture to Ray about sin and redemption.

Romero is about as vile a portrayal of a human being as I can recall seeing in drama. I  really hope the writers fully grasp this.   

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 7

What makes me inclined to think that the writers are going to handle this chracter correctly is that they gave Bunchy lines, later in the episode, in which he says the lesson he takes away from his abuse by Romero is that he can't go to meetings and discuss his life openly with other people. Think about that. A guy who has been utterly traumatized by a Catholic priest raping him as a child, to the point that he has extraordinary difficulty developing relationships with other human beings, and thus lives his life in utter dysfunction and near constant pain, has now been abused by another priest, and thus thinks he can't open up in a setting which until now has been one of the few places where he can reduce his suffering. All so the latest priest can deliver a lecture to Ray about sin and redemption.

Romero is about as vile a portrayal of a human being as I can recall seeing in drama. I  really hope the writers fully grasp this.   

The vilest of the vile, in this bunch of vile people.  Tantamount to a child rapist, and due the same excoriation, in my book.

Perhaps this season will end with all three Donovan brothers returning to the Servants of the Paraclete and taking out the joint and all the sick fucks who inhabit it à la Black Mass. (Incidentally, there is a new Johnny Depp movie coming out soon called Black Mass tackling the same subject).

I wish the show had stayed more with Ray, Lena and Ari working on cases involving all the craziness of LA and show biz. 

If you think about it the show has returned to Ray working as a fixer for rich and powerful LA elite. However, instead of featuring different celebrities in jams each week Ray is now working for billionaire Hollywood producer Andrew Finney full time.

The vilest of the vile, in this bunch of vile people.  Tantamount to a child rapist, and due the same excoriation, in my book.

As they unfolded this character, I kept thinking they were having him engage in this tremendously harmful behavior with the justification that he thought Ray was going to kill innocent people, so it could be justified that Romero was doing the damage he was doing, in an effort to get Ray arrested. I don't really buy the justification, unless he thought Ray was going to be some sort of serial killer (even then it doesn't make sense, to tell the truth) but at least it is in the universe of a rational moral judgement. I was just astounded, then, that Romero's end game was to deliver a lecture to Ray, in an effort to get Ray to repent. WTF!!!!???? This is like torturing a child to get confirmation of a parent's crime, so you can tell the parent to live his life better. Hell, it's like torturing thousands of children, to be able to deliver that message to one parent. This is just evil beyond words. I really hope the writers don't fumble this. 

• Love 1

I just love this show so much! I can do without the homely daughter and teacher storyline though. I can seriously do without having to look at that trailer trashy wide set eyed Katy Holmes on this great show. Why oh why did Ray sleep with her!

I am really enjoying this season.  Even though some of it is cheesy (Mickey and his girls and some of the dialogue), I'm loving the twists and turns.  I'm worried about Bunchy getting involved with Mickey's 'business'.  I hope that somehow his girlfriend/fiancee finds out and reads him the riot act! Please, please writers, don't let him get into trouble with the police or the Armenian gang. I'm hoping that Ray can use his connection with Finney to get him out of any trouble Bunchy may have.

I agree that Fr. Romero used Bunchy in a way that was reprehensible, but I don't feel the hate I'm hearing by posters.  He was molested himself, and has worked his whole life to find a way to deal with his anger and fucked-up-ness.  I prefer to think that we all can be forgiven by God (maybe not by fellow human beings), no matter what we have done. I hope that storyline is over.

I just loved Abby and Terry.  What a lovely interaction at the Barber Shop and Abby's house.

I was shocked and disappointed to see Ray in bed with Katie Holmes.  I really hoped he had changed.  Guess I can't expect him to be perfect - yet.

The whole 'murder' thing was a bit melodramatic but I guessed right.  I hope the gang is back together for good!

• Love 1

If you think about it the show has returned to Ray working as a fixer for rich and powerful LA elite. However, instead of featuring different celebrities in jams each week Ray is now working for billionaire Hollywood producer Andrew Finney full time.

Which is an impressive feat when you think about it.  Because most of Ray's previous clients just needed a one-and-done fix, but with Finney the fixing is a full-time career!

I can't stand Mickey.  He thinks he's cute and charming and he's just annoying and self-centered.  Not that Jon Voight isn't a great actor; it's the character I can't stand.

I wish the show had stayed more with Ray, Lena and Ari working on cases involving all the craziness of LA and show biz. 

That was the hook in the beginning, and it was the best part of the show.  When they went away from that and started focusing on the nutso family, they lost a lot.

Love the gang back together.  I hope it's permanent.  I could watch the Avi and Lena show 24/7. 

• Love 4

I agree that Fr. Romero used Bunchy in a way that was reprehensible, but I don't feel the hate I'm hearing by posters.  He was molested himself, and has worked his whole life to find a way to deal with his anger and fucked-up-ness.  I prefer to think that we all can be forgiven by God (maybe not by fellow human beings), no matter what we have done. I hope that storyline is over.

Fuck God and his forgiveness.  "HE" needs to beg for ours for allowing such abomination to exist in "HIS" universe.

Lots of people have been molested without acting upon that particular perversion.  What that priest did was even worse than raping someone's body and mind - he raped a soul.

• Love 3

For such a big shot, Finney is pretty easy to roll over. First by his daughter and then by Ray.

That moment of serious self-loathing for being gay is going to cost Finney tens or even hundreds of millions.

But it got to showcase Ray's mad fixer skills.

He had to sleep with the bride of crypt keeper -- may have nightmares for awhile -- but he may end up with his 3 percent.

• Love 1

Best episode of the season.   

I do not get Katie Holmes being given this role.  Have they ever explained why an adult with her money would have old fashioned metal braces?  Invisalign much?  

I keep wondering why she didn't have braces when she was a kid.  Her family had enough money even then.

Ok, so I googled "why does paige have braces on Ray Donovan" and this article/video came up.   Apparently, it's to show that the Paige character isn't perfect.  She wears braces to help cure her migraines.  I've heard of TMJ causing migraines.  Maybe they're supposed to be moving her teeth to correct TMJ or a bite issue.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 1

You can only trust your family, except for your father.   I think that's the underlying theme of this show.

I can't stand Mickey.  He thinks he's cute and charming and he's just annoying and self-centered.  Not that Jon Voight isn't a great actor; it's the character I can't stand.

Seconded.  I want to punch him in the face every time he's on screen.  I usually just want to tell Abby to STFU, but she was great this week with Terry.

• Love 2

I keep wondering why she didn't have braces when she was a kid. Her family had enough money even then.

Ok, so I googled "why does paige have braces on Ray Donovan" and this article/video came up. Apparently, it's to show that the Paige character isn't perfect. She wears braces to help cure her migraines. I've heard of TMJ causing migraines. Maybe they're supposed to be moving her teeth to correct TMJ or a bite issue.

Paige mentioned to Ray pretty early on this season that she was wearing braces due to her migraines. She said it was a temporary solution because she didn't have time for whatever treatment the doctor wanted (I think it was surgery).
  • Love 1

Paige mentioned to Ray pretty early on this season that she was wearing braces due to her migraines. She said it was a temporary solution because she didn't have time for whatever treatment the doctor wanted (I think it was surgery).

Sorry I missed that undoubtedly witty exchange....

Ray: So whats with the haaahdware?

Paige: Migraines...just a temporary thing...until surgery

Ray: Thought you were deterring your husband's requests for blowjobs

Paige: Then my father would wear braces...

Ray: [incredulous WWWTTTFFF face]

• Love 1

Terrific episode. I'm really surprised at the way the season is coming together. And as always, the actors are all just killing it. And loved seeing Ray, Avi and Lena back together. I know it's ridiculous, but I was even happy that Avi was conflicted and upset about killing the reporter last season, that it wasn't easy for him but that he genuinely thought he was saving Ray.

I, too, wish the Bridget and her teacher storyline was not a part of the show. It's kind of creepy. 

I think it's being well-written and acted thus far, but I'm dismayed every time they're onscreen, because Bridget is the one being completely unacceptable here, and (as with a similar plotline back on "Once and Again"), I worry that she's not going to stop until she gets what she wants out of the poor guy -- and then he's the one with the ruined life, ruined career, and (quite possibly) a murderous Ray on the rampage. So I really want him to turn her down absolutely, stop responding to her, and to move her out of his classes. It's hard to watch her keep pushing him when he's reacting appropriately and trying to maintain professionalism, even though I like the actor and feel bad for the character.

For a Catholic Priest to violate the norms of a support group like Bunchy's, to elicit information pertaining to a crime, even the crime of murder, is extraordinarily vile, in that doing so greatly threatens the ability of any of those hugely suffering humans in that group, and really, all groups, from AA, to all the emulate the AA model, to obtain the means to alleviate their suffering. People who are enduring these hells need to be able to have confidence that they won't be targeted in these settings, and doing so makes the model unworkable. For a guy like Romero to use that setting as a means to get to Ray, through Bunchy, via deceit, and then blather to Ray about the need to repent, is simply grotesque. Frankly, his assertion that the murdered priest had repented is contemptible as well. Up to the time Ray shot him, the child raper was claiming that his extraordinary act of predatory violence was engaged in out of love, and apparently the child raper never publicly admitted to all his crimes. Some repentence.

Great analysis. However, I don't think it's an either/or scenario. I think it's interesting that Romero -- a self-admitted victim of molestation (and yes, I believed him) who lashed out in violence -- went to Ray and Bunchy not to condemn them, but simply for his own closure, and to even attempt what he sees as some form of salvation.

Do I think what Romeo did was right? No. It was horrible. He abused the sanctity of the support group to befriend and trick Bunchy into confiding in him. But the fact that he's not going to the police, and that he has not yet used even threats or violence to threaten them in return -- it tells me that even though I think he's massively screwed up, I don't think he's evil.

I just think he's a believer, and as a fellow victim, he's doing what he thinks he should do to give Ray and Bunchy peace. And the horrible part of it is, his point of view is both realistic and poignant for someone in his position. He's right about the fact that the priest didn't just abuse Ray and Bunchy's bodies, their pride, their innocence -- he also killed the Church for them, the only haven the boys had. He recognizes that the priest killed God for them. So in his utterly misguided and inappropriate way, I understand why the guy might think he was doing them a favor -- he's saying, "I will keep your secret; I'll give you forgiveness and absolution; I'll give you back God and the Church as a safe place. And I'll always keep your secrets."

I guess the way I'd sum it up is that I think that what Romero has done was rather inadvertently evil, arising out of a misguided and perhaps twisted desire to do good. Also, I want to add that Leland Orser, the guy who plays Romero (a total 'HitG') is really terrific in the role.

I can't help but wonder though, while his methods were all wrong, if he wasn't somehow right. There was a yearning in Ray in the confessional, and "36 years" since his last confession definitely meant that the priest abuse had utterly ended his connection to something that appears to have meant something to him. (I'm not saying Ray should go back to church -- FWIW I'm agnostic -- but Ray himself needs some kind of peace at some point here, and maybe that might give it to him.

Lena socking that woman was hysterical.

I love Lena. I know it's wrong, but when in doubt, she just punches right in the kisser, and it's always so horribly funny. Also, I loved Helen and thought she was kind of hilarious. I hope we see her again (she's another character actor I just love, going back years).

I think this is a vital and essential point, and I'm really hoping that Bunchy tells Romero this at some point, to really bring home the magnitude of the wrong that was done him here.

Romero is blind precisely because of his role with the Church -- he's living with and overseeing a freaking bunch of old ex-priest child molesters. Of course he's going to see them as pitiable and broken down and human. Of course their tears and guilt will move him. He doesn't see them hunting down and abusing children. He just sees a bunch of terrified old guys saying prayers and trying to convince themselves they can make it all go away.

The only thing that gives me hope for Romero is the compassion that he truly seems to show for Ray -- the guy risked his life to give him back that box, and he knew it. I believe him that he was himself abused, so maybe there's a way out of this storyline for him without violence. I would be surprised and pleased if he is really sincere and actually ends up helping Ray, Bunchy, or even himself to a new understanding and peace.

I am really enjoying this season.  Even though some of it is cheesy (Mickey and his girls and some of the dialogue), I'm loving the twists and turns.  I'm worried about Bunchy getting involved with Mickey's 'business'.  I hope that somehow his girlfriend/fiancee finds out and reads him the riot act! Please, please writers, don't let him get into trouble with the police or the Armenian gang. I'm hoping that Ray can use his connection with Finney to get him out of any trouble Bunchy may have.

(snip for space) I just loved Abby and Terry.  What a lovely interaction at the Barber Shop and Abby's house.

I like Teresa, Bunchy's girlfriend, and I appreciate that she's looking out for him even when idiotic Mickey is, as usual, trying to scam him out of his money, wits or life. 

You're singing my tune. This show would be 1000 times better without freaking Mickey, whose plotlines are always the same: sleaze, scams, ineptitude, stupidity, ending in multiple deaths. I cringe through his pathetic storylines each and every season.

• Love 3

You're singing my tune. This show would be 1000 times better without freaking Mickey, whose plotlines are always the same: sleaze, scams, ineptitude, stupidity, ending in multiple deaths. I cringe through his pathetic storylines each and every season.

Mickey is required because no Moriarty was created for Ray. Ray has defeated: Cookie; an FBI Director; Wacky self-help guru; and now Finney. 

• Love 2

Mickey is required because no Moriarty was created for Ray. Ray has defeated: Cookie; an FBI Director; Wacky self-help guru; and now Finney. 

That's a great point that I'd never considered -- that Mickey exists to give Ray something constant to struggle against. Mickey is certainly a living, breathing symbol of everything about his past that Ray wants to escape but can't.

I think it's being well-written and acted thus far, but I'm dismayed every time they're onscreen, because Bridget is the one being completely unacceptable here, and (as with a similar plotline back on "Once and Again"), I worry that she's not going to stop until she gets what she wants out of the poor guy -- and then he's the one with the ruined life, ruined career, and (quite possibly) a murderous Ray on the rampage. So I really want him to turn her down absolutely, stop responding to her, and to move her out of his classes. It's hard to watch her keep pushing him when he's reacting appropriately and trying to maintain professionalism, even though I like the actor and feel bad for the character.

Totally agree, and I'm dismayed at her me me me attitude. Bridget was portrayed as thoughtful and compassionate earlier on, this seduction seems so out of character and weird. The facebook stalking, texting (who texts their teacher to get coffee), all seems to be leading to the teacher's downfall. I feel bad for him, Bridget using his grief to get what she wants is disgusting. Really not feeling it, rather see her hanging out with her new friend.

• Love 1

If Ken Cosgrove had a brain in his head, he would appeal to Bridget's brain and explain that he could be fired and his life destroyed if she doesn't stop. And if that doesn't work he should go directly to her parents before anything happens. Of course, what do I know, maybe that makes things worse. You've really gotta feel for teachers in these positions nowadays since parents are less likely to believe the authority figure.