Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Completely agree, but for a second I was thinking you meant Dennis Haysbert. That's what I get for watching Brooklyn 99.

It's not just you and it's not just because of B99. I can't tell you how many times I've read a headline about Hastert and thought, "Nooooo!"

• Love 2

I was kind of disappointed that Trevor didn't cover the rest of the weirdness of that soup story.  Heidi returned all of the soup the next morning, but when she told her mother about it, mom told her she was wrong, so she went and bought it all back.  That store must have been like "no, you people aren't allowed in her anymore."  

• Love 3

I was kind of disappointed that Trevor didn't cover the rest of the weirdness of that soup story. Heidi returned all of the soup the next morning, but when she told her mother about it, mom told her she was wrong, so she went and bought it all back. That store must have been like "no, you people aren't allowed in her anymore."  

Haha! That tickles me.

What did raise my eyebrows about the tale was that any grocery would carry 100 cans of chunky Campbell's soup, especially back then when huge superstores weren't common. Since Cruz named-checked Campbell's, I looked it up -- the chunky line was introduced in 1971, so that part is plausible.

• Love 1

Haha! That tickles me.

What did raise my eyebrows about the tale was that any grocery would carry 100 cans of chunky Campbell's soup, especially back then when huge superstores weren't common. Since Cruz named-checked Campbell's, I looked it up -- the chunky line was introduced in 1971, so that part is plausible.

Ted Cruz Is only 45 and got married in 2001, so that story is plausible by 30 YEARS.

Ted Cruz Is only 45 and got married in 2001, so that story is plausible by 30 YEARS.

Since a lot of people believe Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer, he is obviously someone who is not tied down by the space-time continuum.

I wonder if Hillary would have made an appearance on TDS if Jon had still been hosting? She's going to be on Colbert tonight. 

• Love 3

Since a lot of people believe Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer, he is obviously someone who is not tied down by the space-time continuum.

I wonder if Hillary would have made an appearance on TDS if Jon had still been hosting? She's going to be on Colbert tonight.

The Zodiac Killer stuff is just dumb. Here's a list of 80's transgressions he probably was guilty of:

-Rooting for the A-Team to get captured and court martialed.

-Publicly praising "New Coke."

-Referring to the Granada incursion as a full-blown war.

-Calling C. Thomas Howell "My generation's Brando" in 1986.

-Thinks that Invisible Touch was the best album Genesis ever made.

-Believed the PMRC was emblematic of "bipartisanship I can support."

-Telling people he "solved" the Rubik's Cube, when all he did was break it apart and put it back together.

-Was the first person in the world to say that Daniel Russo was the real villain in Karate Kid.

-Felt bad for Judge Smails.

-Thinks Eddie Murphy ruined SNL.

-Still cries during episodes of "Beauty and the Beast."

-Liked "After M.A.S.H."

-Thought that "Doc Johnson" was a real person who needed to be stopped.

-Believed that when people spoke of "smoking grass," they were literally using lawns to get high.

• Love 8

That smart mattress thing was so dumb, but I liked Trevor's jokes about it, especially "I have to take this - it's my mattress!" and the riff about how easy it was to fool.

I really have stop being shocked at people being disgustingly Islamaphobic against others who've done absolutely nothing, but every time I hear a story like this, I still think, "You have got to be KIDDING me..."  As with the story about the woman who got arrested for Checking Into a Hotel While Trans, the person who reported this guy is awful, but Southwest is worse for listening to that BS.  I get that "we have to take every threat seriously" and you don't screw around with airport security, but there's no universe in which "speaking Arabic" is in itself remotely credible as a threat.  Good god.  I like that Trevor tied the situation to statements made by Cruz/Trump/pundits as a reminder that hate like that doesn't occur in a vacuum - these people's ugly words mess with people's lives.  (I also loved the bit about having to sing the whole safety song before being able to remember what to do with the oxygen mask.)

Hasan's bit was good.  I especially liked his cheerful "If you speak Arabic, don't!"

Edited by angora
  • Love 2

Southwest claims that the person who reported the student speaking Arabic was also an Arabic speaker. I have no idea if any of this is true or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a data point. In any case, Hasan was very funny.

One new detail revealed in the statement is that the woman who overheard Makhzoomi’s comments, which came during a phone conversation with his uncle, also spoke Arabic.

“It was the content of the passenger’s conversation, not the language used, that prompted the report leading to our investigation,” Southwest said in its statement. “Once the report was made, an Arabic-speaking Southwest Manager at LAX participated in the decision to request the passenger leave the aircraft and continue the conversation in the gate area.”

Getting Ben Carson for an interview is just bizarre. Ok, Carson, you think we should be more compassionate to each other. That seems nice. So you don't have a problem with marriage equality, right? http://www.hrc.org/2016RepublicanFacts/ben-carson

Because that took literally 3 seconds for me to find. 

I'm sure you oppose the law in NC too. 

I mean, with everything on social media nowadays do these people think we're so stupid that we forget what they say, or are they just delusional?

I really like how Desi can say ridiculous things with such a serious face. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4

Well.  That was ... weird.  I can't imagine what posessed Ben Carson to agree to be a guest on TDS, other than that he had no idea what TDS is.   I oppose just about every political stance Carson espouses, and yet even I was uncomfortable with how brutally he was mocked in that "debate" to his face. Points to him for being a good sport about it, I guess?   And yet, for all the open mockery of his speech patterns, when Carson was blathering about compassion Trevor didn't ask the obvious question of whether that compassion should be extended to trans people who want to use a public restroom (because let's face it, a segment of the population doesn't want the trans in any restroom), or to gay people who want to be sure they can visit their partner in the hospital and want to raise children, or to 13 year olds who were impregnated by their daddy.   It was all a very weird and completely unsatisfactory guest appearance.

• Love 4

Or how he thinks supporting Trump aligns with this "compassion" he blathered on about. At least Lindsey Graham was honest about not liking Clinton either. Carson had to have had demands on the questions asked. 

Going back to the Ellie Kemper interview -- I really like her and find her funny, but the audience didn't seem to know how to take her. I'm going to assume that not many people there had seen Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. But even aside from that, I thought she was pretty funny here. Also, Trevor wasn't very good in the interview. Sometimes he seems so darned awkward.

This episode was like a festival of accents from Trevor: the imitation of the legislator, the dancing doctor, the soccer comment, the mobster promising solar panels, "everybody's getting a SCANDALLLLL" and of course Ken Carson.

"Everybody's getting a SCANDAL!!!!" cracked me up; reminded me of Trevor's standup bit about the school Oprah built in South Africa.

The 9/11, 7-Eleven stuff was easy, but they had to do it.  I laughed, especially at the picture of Trump at the "7-Eleven memorial."

Agree that everything with Ben Carson was weird and kind of off.  I think I damaged my eyes rolling them when he was talking about compassion and the importance of America being made up of "every nation" and I thought, "And you think TRUMP is the guy to make this happen?!"  What in the actual world.  If you know that Trump is the candidate you're trying to sell, I would think you'd want to get as far away as possible from that sort of reasoning.  A few great lines in the Carson vs. Carson debate - I liked "get in there, knife around a little" and the remark about Obamacare being WORSE than slavery.

I'm several days behind. Forgive my old posts.

What? I'm almost 45. Ted Cruz looks like he could be my dad. ETA: Yep, he was born in December 1970. My bad. 

I liked the clip when one of his twin daughters called him out for being a liar. 

And I loved the interview with W. Kamau Bell. They palled around like best buds, even though I don't think they actually hang out IRL. Kamau is smart and funny--and he survived a KKK cross burning!

• Love 1

What? I'm almost 45. Ted Cruz looks like he could be my dad. ETA: Yep, he was born in December 1970. My bad. 

I liked the clip when one of his twin daughters called him out for being a liar. 

And I loved the interview with W. Kamau Bell. They palled around like best buds, even though I don't think they actually hang out IRL. Kamau is smart and funny--and he survived a KKK cross burning!

I'm 46 and he looks old enough to be my dad!

I think they call them cross-lightings.

• Love 1

Wasn't that the kid who was desperately trying to dodge his kiss? 

I was very disappointed that Ben Carson's speaking voice was not as oddly slow and faulting as I remembered so I was thinking it was just magnified by comparison to the rapid fire pace that Trump and Cruz talk at.  Then I saw a clip from one of the debates where seasons changed while he spoke a complete sentence.  He must have been coked up on his visit with Trevor.

• Love 1

I was very disappointed that Ben Carson's speaking voice was not as oddly slow and faulting as I remembered so I was thinking it was just magnified by comparison to the rapid fire pace that Trump and Cruz talk at.  Then I saw a clip from one of the debates where seasons changed while he spoke a complete sentence.  He must have been coked up on his visit with Trevor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the good doctor partied before his interview. Or maybe his publicist coached him: Do not speak slowly, Do not close your eyes while you talk. 

But you'd think that person would have similarly coached him during his Presidential campaign!

I get it. We're both (because I have this problem, too) at that age where people in power are our age, and our minds haven't grasped it yet. Kinda like writing the previous year's date for most of January, but with more existential angst.

• Love 2

One of my favorite campaign fun facts: Ted Cruz is younger than Gwen Stefani.

Wow, I'm really glad Trevor's "interview" with the singer didn't last more than a couple of minutes. I used to be a journalist and I've interviewed a lot of musicians and that's the sort of situation that gives me nightmares. Talk about laconic. The Nirvana cover was... odd.

• Love 2

I feel dumb/privileged that my main perspective on Harriet Tubman on the $20 was "Yes!  Lady on the money!  (And she's Black, awesome!)", not thinking that some people would go "Yes!  Black person on the money!  (And she's a woman, awesome!)"  Granted, the news stories I've seen were definitely focused on the female part, there's the whole 1920/2020 suffrage connection, and I've been following the push to get a woman on the money for a while, but still.  Until seeing Trevor talk about it, I hadn't thought of it as something Black men would celebrate too, though it obviously makes perfect sense.  I liked his prediction that Black people will only carry $20s for years to come.

Some good stuff on the primary results.  My favorite bits were the color-coded Empire State Building and Trevor throwing shade on the media's extremely low standards for Trump acting "presidential."

I was lukewarm on the '90s nostalgia movie at first, but Tonya Harding made me perk up.  When Notorious B.I.G. leaned into the shot, I was all in.

I did like that Trevor spoke about Prince's passing, but this habit of acknowledging collective grief at the end of a show has to stop. If there's one topic everyone is thinking about, at least take a minute to talk about it at the start of the show. It's not like the writers didn't have a few hours before taping to pivot ever so slightly.

Edited by revbfc

Why does it have to stop? Maybe they think it's a better choice; i.e., life goes on, or something like that. You could argue that if you open the show with it, then it's going to dominate the show and maybe they didn't want to have everyone just paralyzed with grief.

They actually might not have had enough time before the taping, and didn't want to do anything half assed, which would be worse. 

Didn't TDS under Jon Stewart use the MOZ to pay homage to people who passed? I don't see the difference.

• Love 2

Why does it have to stop? Maybe they think it's a better choice; i.e., life goes on, or something like that. You could argue that if you open the show with it, then it's going to dominate the show and maybe they didn't want to have everyone just paralyzed with grief.

They actually might not have had enough time before the taping, and didn't want to do anything half assed, which would be worse.

Didn't TDS under Jon Stewart use the MOZ to pay homage to people who passed? I don't see the difference.

If it's the biggest story of the day, you at least acknowledge that. They did the same thing with Brussels. Trevor didn't mention the bombings for the whole show. His guest had to bring it up.

Yes, Jon would use the MOZ for "In Memorium"'s, but if something truly momentous happened, he'd make a remark about it before getting down to business.

• Love 1

Trevor was correct in honoring Prince at the MoZ, like all public figures who pass away. Prince was a very talented performer, but that's all he was. A performer. Not someone who's actions had a profound effect on society that reverberates beyond, like a bombing or a horrific mass shooting would.

• Love 5

For me this is not a news show.  So the idea that it should adhere to what the news outlets and the network news divisions are doing seems odd.  And flat out wrong.  Just for my viewing tastes.  Doing it as a moment of zen makes sense.  The only way it works is if the show opened regarding how it is the biggest story of the day and then spent eight minutes skewering the ridiculous extent and content of the coverage.  Mercilessly.  That is the show's purview and purpose.  Not simply following news outlets leads as to what is "news"   -- something that is often debatable.  Nothing against Prince but fan or not, my life is not affected by it.  I might feel emotion about it but ti does not raise or lower the price of gas.  It does not change the laws of the land.  It does not put someone or something in power.  

So my personal feelings aside, no.  It is not a big deal.  To me. 

I was thinking back about how the show handled the attacks in Brussels and how I was a bit perturbed at the time that an actual news story of such size was not covered as well.  But in hindsight I think it is making sense.  I have laughed when Jon and the show went hard after CNN in Boston for instance.  But I can also appreciate the show now showing restraint.  Is a bumbling Blitzer all that funny in just hours since blood was shed?  Is the inanity of the news coverage worth lampooning even as family members are still trying to figure out where loved ones are?  I think a big part of the decision regarding Brussels had to do with the interview as well.  Having a European leader there made it logical and nicely restrained as a means to discuss it.

Because otherwise, this is simply not a "breaking news" vehicle.  It is there to mock the breaking of the news.  So unless there are some really crazy Prince is Dead jokes in regards to gaffes and idiocy by the press covering, it is not for this show.  It is not a news show.  It never was and never will be I hope.

• Love 5

The Brussels attack was the only time that I felt it was weird not to mention it until the end of the show (although I did like the lovely MoZ showing solidarity with both Brussels and Ankara.)  For celebrities who've passed, like Bowie or Prince, saving the tribute until the MoZ feels fitting with me.  For a story like the Brussels attack, though, not mentioning it feels a bit "elephant in the room."  I agree with tentativelyyours that I like the show not jumping straight into it right away, but a "we're still trying to sort through this awful thing that's happened, we'll cover it on another night, but for now, our thoughts go out to the victims and their families" sort of thing at the top of the show makes sense.  But any way you slice it, it's a tough situation; regardless of what's happening in the world, the show still has a job of satirizing the news, and it can feel awkward to segue from a heartfelt tribute straight into joking, even if it's about a different subject.

I liked the continuing coverage on the money changes.  I do not get people who are so beholden to Andrew "Indian Removal Act" Jackson.  What's so amazing about his legacy, again?  I laughed at the "interracial money" (with mixed-race change!) reminding Trevor of his family.

Another good segment from Hasan.  He really commits to personas like that and can deliver such outrageous lines completely straight - I love it.

• Love 4

I don't get the Andrew Jackson people either. If they knew anything about him, they'd know he hated the banks (central banks for the nation in particular) and wouldn't want to be on the money.

I get the impression that Trevor was going to be criticized regardless of what he did. Sticking with the usual m/o: paying tribute in the MOZ as the show has done on numerous occasions was the most sensible move. 

The Andrew Jackson issue is bizarre. It's not even like he was a figure in the 20th century that a decent amount of people might still remember in person. Like, if it was LBJ being taken off the money, then I could see why people would object. Taking Hamilton off doesn't make sense because it's basically his money. 

People who object to Tubman on the money are probably people who bring up 'state's rights' as the cause of the civil war. 

• Love 2
What's so amazing about his legacy, again?

Jackson campaigned on the platform of Universal Manhood Suffrage.  Originally only people who owned land were allowed to vote, per British tradition.  The big difference with the new US of A was that land was so plentiful and cheap, way more men were able to participate in the political process.  Jackson campaigned for allowing all men to vote regardless of whether they owned land.  Still, it's not like he came up with the idea.

I don't think that outweighs the negatives, so I'd be happy to kick him off our money.

• Love 2

Do you think these people complaining about Jackson being taken off the $20 would react the same if he were being replaced by Reagan? Or practically any white man from our history. Theodore Roosevelt, Patrick Henry, Omar Bradley. No, there were be no objections from these same people. The affront is that it's a woman, and she's black.

Until they joked about it, I didn't think about Tubman's face being defiled on the bill. That will happen. I'm afraid of what people will do.

What was the point of Desi's bit with keeping people's 20s?

I like Howard Dean. It's great that he can laugh at that 'screaming speech.'

• Love 6

Jackson could be the greatest man of all time, and I'd still think he and the rest of the faces could be changed. We've had 200 years of those guys, how about giving others a chance?

So, yes, I am glad to see Jackson go because I think he's terrible, but it's also that I'm excited to see Tubman showcased. I think it's ridiculous that Jackson stays on the back of the bill, as well. Move over, dude!

I kept waiting for someone to bring up the Susan B Anthony dollars, and the ill-fated $2 bill. I think, while some of us will be gleefully carrying around Tubman Twenties, others might start shunning them. I hope not, but People Are Like That Sometimes.....

• Love 2

Dear people who are determined to take offense at the "disgraceful" change to the $20: your precious Jackson, about whom I would bet my house you know nothing, will still be on the damned back of the bill. The graphic showing all the changes over the years was pretty good.

I really like how Trevor* has been raising my awareness of Black issues. When he spoke about Tubman two nights in a row and did a lengthy piece, it finally occurred to me, "Ah. This is a Big Deal for (at least some) African-Americans." When I first read about it, as someone of Scandanavian heritage who was raised in an all-white suburb and later lived in North Dakota and Northern Minnesota, I was all, hey that's cool. But I didn't fully absorb that it might be an important cultural acknowledgement until Trevor told me.

I only occasionally watched Jon -- was he wont to do segments on the ongoing bigotry against Jews? Not that he had to or should have, I just appreciate that Trevor continues to bring it up.

* And others, as the case may be.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

The bottom line is, Harriet Tubman was a real life super hero. You listen to all the gop candidates wax on about how they're mother was a waitress or worked as a maid and was tireless for her family  and didn't speak much english, and now I can run for president, or I'm the Speaker of the House and my dad was a bartender or whatever, ok, that's good too. But, this woman was literally legally *property* and then somehow freed how many people, right under their noses? I mean, it's like Ocean's Infinity.

If this isn't the quintessential American story, I don't know what is. 

People who aren't down with Harriet Tubman are the kind of folk that tell their 10 y/o kids that Santa isn't real because they just can't be arsed to wait up till 11 to put the gifts under the tree. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 8

I checked the history of the $20 bill and Jackson had replaced Cleveland in 1928 - there goes the don't change it because of tradition argument.  

Actually, according to Wikipedia, there have been a lot of people on $20 currency (before the current paper money) - such as Hamilton, Washington, Garfield, even Lady Liberty and Pocohontas.  

Jackson campaigned on the platform of Universal Manhood Suffrage.  Originally only people who owned land were allowed to vote, per British tradition.  The big difference with the new US of A was that land was so plentiful and cheap, way more men were able to participate in the political process.  Jackson campaigned for allowing all men to vote regardless of whether they owned land.  Still, it's not like he came up with the idea.

I don't think that outweighs the negatives, so I'd be happy to kick him off our money.

As long as they were not black...or Native American...and they were men, not women.  He just thought that white men who didn't own land should get to vote.  In the realm of voting rights, this was a step, I suppose, but certainly not a very big one.

I think it's ridiculous that Jackson stays on the back of the bill, as well. Move over, dude!

I agree that it is ridiculous to keep Jackson on the bill at all, but it helps to think of it as Jackson is being moved to the back of the bus.  

• Love 4

I loved Hasan's piece about Sikhs in America. "I work really hard at blending in. A third of my salary goes to New Balance and Patagonia."

As usual, I couldn't tell if the guy being interviewed was playing along or not. "Son, you need to lead with love."

• Love 2
On April 26, 2016 at 9:47 PM, lordonia said:

As usual, I couldn't tell if the guy being interviewed was playing along or not. "Son, you need to lead with love."

I'm not sure what you mean by 'playing along.' I think he was sincere about everything he said, but he understood this was a comedy show and Hasan's job was to make jokes.

Re last night's ep, I love Key & Peele. Their bit in the felons getting the vote segment was great. They create such hilarious characters. I was a little disappointed in the interview, which wasn't their fault. Trevor needs lessons. Geez he's bad at interviewing. Fortunately K&P can carry a conversation well.

I had heard little blurbs about a tampon tax, but I didn't realize it was so widespread. My state, California, has a luxury tax on them. I'm so old I don't need to worry about that personally anymore, but it really is an outrage. Maybe guys say women are on the rag because they thinks that's all women need for their periods: rags. Tampons are a luxury.

• Love 4