Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I had no idea "mom shaming" was a thing. 

I've yet to see the episode in questions, but the limits of shaming on-line knows no boundaries. If "something" exists, there's "something" shaming going on.

1 minute ago, fastiller said:

I've yet to see the episode in questions, but the limits of shaming on-line knows no boundaries. If "something" exists, there's "something" shaming going on.

It's not just online -- I've had friends have total strangers come up to them on public transit, in parks, in restaurants and question their parenting choices.  I even know a pregnant woman who was getting a drink at Starbucks and someone in line said to her face, "I hope that's decaf."

• Love 2

Oh yeah.  There's an attitude  that anyone has the right - or maybe even the duty - to come up to a pregnant woman or a mom and judge them for their choices/actions.  The easy shorthand is, whatever you're doing, it's wrong.

• Love 2

Could we start a parent-shaming trend aimed at people who ignore their brats yelling, running wild, throwing tantrums, etc. and then act as if Precious Angel would be forever scarred if their sense of Special Snowflakeness was contradicted with a little discipline? Because I would totally back shaing that kind of parenting although it would be a full time job.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, angora said:

Oh yeah.  There's an attitude  that anyone has the right - or maybe even the duty - to come up to a pregnant woman or a mom and judge them for their choices/actions.  The easy shorthand is, whatever you're doing, it's wrong.

I'm normally pretty relaxed, but when I was pregnant I had a hair trigger temper due to turbo charged hormones. Pity the fool who told me not to do, eat or drink.

I'm glad that, as gross as NC's bathroom bill is in itself, the show pointed out that the law also makes it illegal to protect LGBTQ people with anti-discrimination legislation.  Some excellent stuff here:  the repeated comments about how insane it was that they were willing to give up billions of dollars of federal money over this, Trevor's rant that it's not like this hasn't been happening all along and that, if you can ID someone from a public bathroom, you're looking too closely, and the sheer jaw-droppingness of the man with the discriminatory legislation comparing himself to MLK, Gandhi, and Jesus.

Michelle's piece wasn't as good for me, but I did like it.  The bit about going back to England and apologizing was funny.

Loved Joe Morton's interview.  I really like what he said about Hollywood diversity and Black stories - even if they weren't new ideas, they're still ideas that should be repeated until Hollywood finally starts to catch on.

• Love 4

I wonder if I would have an easier time with opinions/viewpoints of of some people if they were consistent.  Maybe I am stereotyping, but I have the impression that the people who support the NC bathroom law are anti-gun control and anti-gay marriage.  They would be against a law requiring handguns to be registered because "that will eventually lead to not allowing people to ever hunt again" and they are against allowing a gay marriage because "That will lead to people marrying their dogs."  Yet, a law discriminating against trans-gendered people doesn't make them jump to "That will lead to laws discriminating against skin color and religion, and soon blacks will have to have separate drinking fountains and everyone will have to be Baptist."

18 hours ago, dusang said:

It's not just online -- I've had friends have total strangers come up to them on public transit, in parks, in restaurants and question their parenting choices.  I even know a pregnant woman who was getting a drink at Starbucks and someone in line said to her face, "I hope that's decaf."

And it isn't a new thing either.  Decades ago, when my children were small, people would tell moms and moms-to-be that they should or shouldn't be doing something.  A lot of people seem to think they are experts on parenting.  My kids were sitting on a concrete planter for a few minutes at a park, and an old man came up to inform me that if I let them sit there, "they will have problems with their rectums."  My mother was told by a well-meaning friend not to let me play in an empty cardboard box because it means I will die (the box is the symbol of a casket).  And then there were all the comments about how you should stay home with your kids and everyone has to breastfeed and cloth vs disposable diapers, etc....

• Love 2

When people did that to me, I had no problem telling them to mind their own business.  Some of them would say, "Excuse me?" in that way that's supposed to be intimidating, as though I was the one being offensive.

• Love 1

Maybe I am stereotyping, but I have the impression that the people who support the NC bathroom law are anti-gun control and anti-gay marriage.

No, it's not stereotyping, it's reasonable deduction. They're also the same people who say "criminals don't obey laws" when someone proposes to do something about guns, except that *this* law will prevent pedos from going into the bathroom. And it's always the little girls that are at risk. No one is worried about the boys. 

If they're so scared of anyone who is different than them, then stay in your house until you die and stop bothering the rest of us. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, needschocolate said:

And it isn't a new thing either.  Decades ago, when my children were small, people would tell moms and moms-to-be that they should or shouldn't be doing something.  A lot of people seem to think they are experts on parenting.  My kids were sitting on a concrete planter for a few minutes at a park, and an old man came up to inform me that if I let them sit there, "they will have problems with their rectums."  My mother was told by a well-meaning friend not to let me play in an empty cardboard box because it means I will die (the box is the symbol of a casket).  And then there were all the comments about how you should stay home with your kids and everyone has to breastfeed and cloth vs disposable diapers, etc....

I recall being told I"d get piles* if I sat on a concrete wall.  Never happened.

I liked Desi's piece on mom shaming.  It's really awful to be told you're doing something wrong by someone who has no place telling you that.  Also - and with reference to non-consistency: breast is best, but not in public.

*NOTE: This was in Ireland; I think 'piles' = hemorrhoids 

• Love 1

Loved the whole segment about North Carolina's anti-transgender law. First off, there was the Daily Show chyron that said "Potty in the U.S.A." Then there's the whole thing about "the ninth largest state." The fact that the governor uses this phrase repeatedly is hilarious and perplexing. What's the point? We're number nine! We're number nine! Weird. Trevor talking about more important things like pee on the floor and self-fluxing toilets that flush before you're done was great.

I too liked Michelle Wolfe's bit about going back to England, saying we're sorry, we weren't ready, and we'll pay for the tea.

I would have liked Joe Morton's interview more if Trevor could do it better. I thought when Morton brought up that story about the kids burning a cross, Trevor should have continued talking on that subject rather than laughing and getting back to his talking points. Oh well. I also thought Trevor would mention Morton sacrificing himself in Terminator 2. 

Michelle's content was fine, but her voice grates and it was odd that she wasn't sitting at the desk with Trevor, or even there by herself like Louis Black. It seemed like a random stand-up bit in the middle of the show.

• Love 6

I can't believe that woman said "toss your salad" in the MOZ. She couldn't have possibly known what she meant. 

The 538 guy was really cool. I thought I read somewhere that they are currently predicting Clinton to win 300 electoral votes, but it might not have been them. But he's right though in that a major event in the next few months could tip it to Trump. 

19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I too liked Michelle Wolfe's bit about going back to England, saying we're sorry, we weren't ready, and we'll pay for the tea.

I immediately thought of King George III in Hamilton saying, "I told you you'd be back."

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

But he's right though in that a major event in the next few months could tip it to Trump. 

That's absolutely scary because you can see some people thinking up ways to make this happen.

I thought the story about Trump's tax returns was great - his bluff being called with each new excuse he makes up, using his Romney comments against him, Trevor's "Hey, Donald," sidebar, and of course, "You're shadier than Richard Nixon!"  Loved it.

Of COURSE Fox News thinks there's a DNC plot to funnel in "illegal" ringers from Mexico and "fast-track" their citizenship so they can vote against Trump.  I loved Jordan following up the "Who's gonna pay for it?" call-and-response with "How's he gonna do it?", along with his obvious contempt for Mr. "50-60% of Mexican immigrants are criminals."

• Love 3

50-60 percent, but not most. Brilliant guy. Holy shit.

Loved the whole bit about Trump not releasing his tax returns. Of course there's long been doubt about his self-proclaimed worth, but the Washington Post did an article about the list of charitable deductions that the campaign released. None came from his own personal money. It's astounding that Trump believed people would think he's so generous when the money isn't coming from him.

• Love 2

Trump's supporters don't care about his tax returns, so in the end it's just more meaningless fodder for people who already dislike him.

I was more surprised at how low Bernie's charitable contributions were, to be honest.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

50-60 percent, but not most. Brilliant guy. Holy shit.

Loved the whole bit about Trump not releasing his tax returns. Of course there's long been doubt about his self-proclaimed worth, but the Washington Post did an article about the list of charitable deductions that the campaign released. None came from his own personal money. It's astounding that Trump believed people would think he's so generous when the money isn't coming from him.

Unfortunately, I think he's representative of most Trump voters. They don't care much about facts, but they agree with Trump's ideology, and that's enough to make them vote for the guy.

With any other candidate, a story about pocketing 3 million dollars that was raised to help veterans would do him in. But why doesn't this matter to Trump supporters, many of whom are veterans themselves?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I was going to say. No one cares about tax returns. Was that always a thing?

I think Trevor said that candidates have been doing this since the late '70s. I guess Americans feel we have a right to know what a candidate earns, what he or she pays in taxes, and what the candidate dontates to charity. I'm not sure why people feel we have the right to know, but if Trump advocated for it, then he certainly should comply with his own rhetoric. 

"I'll show my tax returns when 'Obama shows his birth certificate,' when 'Hillary reveals the documents,' when 'the audit is over.'" Is there an end to his excuses?

• Love 1

I guess the better question is why did this become a thing? I'm having a hard time believing there's people saying "I need to see their tax returns before I vote for them."

You know what, if Trump said, "I don't think it's anyone's business" right off the bat, zero would have changed. 

• Love 1

Releasing tax returns became a thing after Nixon was revealed as a tax cheat and his VP Agnew was convicted of same. Gerald Ford released his to prove that he was no Nixon, and thus a tradition was born of demonstrating your base level of qualification for the office: don't be a crook.

• Love 6

Romney posted this on Facebook a couple of days ago:

“It is disqualifying for a modern-day presidential nominee to refuse to release tax returns to the voters, especially one who has not been subject to public scrutiny in either military or public service… Further, while not a likely circumstance, the potential for hidden inappropriate associations with foreign entities, criminal organizations, or other unsavory groups is simply too great a risk to ignore for someone who is seeking to become commander-in-chief.”

• Love 3

Darn it - not a Romney fan nor Lindsey Graham fan nor any far righter in general, but I thaw a little when they slam Trump. It makes me very confused - I approve of a statement or position of someone who I never agree with?  

I loved the Trump name-calling generator and Third World Trevor. 

(edited)

I think it depends how it's handled by the media and the Democratic candidate. IF he releases it -- which I can see him not doing without too much damage -- and it shows that he's worth a lot less than what he's been claiming, he might explain by saying his worth has a lot to do with his name, which is probably true.

He's a teflon candidate. I'm fearing more and more that he... just might.... win? He's already walking back statements he's made, softening his stances, and voters may fall for that, esp if they're already hesitant about Clinton.

I can't believe we're here.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

He's a teflon candidate. I'm fearing more and more that he... just might.... win? He's already walking back statements he's made, softening his stances, and voters may fall for that, esp if they're already hesitant about Clinton.

I watched Thursday's "Daily Show" last night, about 24 hours after it originally aired, and I'm astonished about everything that happened in that relatively short time period: the revelations about Trump's racist butler, who called for Obama's murder; Trump allegedly serving as his own PR guy; and now the big NY Times article about Trump's treatment of women. Maybe he's Teflon because no story ever sticks around long enough for it to have an effect. There's always a new outrage around the corner.

• Love 1

Wednesday's show was my favorite of the week. It was so informative! I liked everything including the queen, the Trumps of other countries, the information about West Virginia, Nate Silver and his theories and stuff he knows. Everything except the MoZ.

Thursday was great too, but I thought "Third World Trevor" was a little on the nose for a random generator. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, trow125 said:

I watched Thursday's "Daily Show" last night, about 24 hours after it originally aired, and I'm astonished about everything that happened in that relatively short time period: the revelations about Trump's racist butler, who called for Obama's murder; Trump allegedly serving as his own PR guy; and now the big NY Times article about Trump's treatment of women. Maybe he's Teflon because no story ever sticks around long enough for it to have an effect. There's always a new outrage around the corner.

There's talk now that Trump released the tape of the sham PR guy himself to take attention away from tax returns and grotesquely racist butlers. The People reporter who wrote the original story way back when said two tapes exist - she has one and he has the other and she still has hers. Trump is nuts. Surely to goodness a mentally ill man like him won't actually make it to the general election, he'll implode before then.

I liked Trevor's comment about John Miller being a great publicist because he got people looking for someone who doesn't exist rather than asking about Trump's tax returns, and describing the RNC chair as "trying to get Stockholm Syndrome" was great.  Unfortunately, the guy is right in that, when it comes to Trump's supporters at least, "people don't care" about any of these stories.  Roy was perfect in his bit.

I've gotten so used to watching Anthony Anderson as Dre that it was jarring (but cool) to hear him talking as himself.  I liked his joke about how they'd be on BET if they changed the show's name from Black-ish to Black.

• Love 3
(edited)
24 minutes ago, angora said:

Unfortunately, the guy is right in that, when it comes to Trump's supporters at least, "people don't care" about any of these stories. Roy was perfect in his bit.

I'm trying to think of anything Hillary or Bernie could say that would get me not to vote for them in the general election ... nope. So it works both ways for this liberal.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, lordonia said:

I'm trying to think of anything Hillary or Bernie could say that would get me not to vote for them in the general election ... nope. So it works both ways for this liberal.

Except you're voting a party -- Trump supporters chose him over other Republicans, many of whom were equally qualified assholes but more qualified legislators.

• Love 2

Anthony Anderson was a great guest. Of course I love Black-ish, and him in it, so I was predisposed to like him here. I'm surprised TDS didn't show a clip from the show. My favorite part of the interview was his story about his mama. His impersonation was great. His mama sounds like a real character.

Oh, and I didn't know the story about the connection betw Anderson and Noah. Very interesting.

"Donnie Creepo" was right on. I read that NYT article the other day. Ick.

I like the new correspondent.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like how the show is keeping the running gag of calling Trevor "African". Desi did it last week too. 

I agree that people don't care if Trump was his own publicist 20+ years ago either. No one cares about his taxes. The media is just dumb. Don't ask policy questions, just cover all the sensational garbage. 

Edited by ganesh

Describing Reince Priebus as "trying to get Stockholm Syndrome" had me rolling because that's exactly what it looks like watching a lot of the party talking heads right now.  You can actually see them struggling to override whatever common sense or conventional wisdom they might have to talk themselves into the idea that maybe Trump isn't the worst idea ever and they're mostly pretty unconvincing to the point that I keep expecting interviewers to ask them to blink once for yes and two for no if they need help escaping their hostage situation.

I've been suspicious of the timing of some of these stories breaking for awhile now, so Trevor's likely right that news of Trump's pretend PR guy came just at the right time to distract from the tax returns and Chapter 17 of One Man's Misogyny: Dames, Broads, and Whores I've Known.  But Roy's right too that nobody's going to care.  That's what happens when you've let a party conduct business for years acting like facts and reality were completely subjective things to be ignored at will. 

• Love 1

Who are they kidding though? They're all going to vote for Trump. They completely agree with his positions, but they don't like the way he's saying it. They've been saying the exact same things for years and passing laws the same. 

4 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Describing Reince Priebus as "trying to get Stockholm Syndrome" had me rolling because that's exactly what it looks like watching a lot of the party talking heads right now.

But they are all hard on message too and not breaking. "No one cares about Trump's fill in the blank. Clinton is a disaster and has to be stopped."

• Love 1

Exactly.  The disagreement with Trump isn't with his lunacy or the ugly things he's saying, just that the emperor is finally parading through the town square buck naked, doesn't give a damn, and isn't requiring everyone to pretend not to see what they're seeing.  The party's spent more than 40 years perfecting dog whistles and euphemisms and a lot of them are clearly uncomfortable being out in the open like that.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I like how the show is keeping the running gag of calling Trevor "African". Desi did it last week too. 

I agree that people don't care if Trump was his own publicist 20+ years ago either. No one cares about his taxes. The media is just dumb. Don't ask policy questions, just cover all the sensational garbage. 

Yep - it's also why there are so many phone interviews with Drumpf: the media is dumb and doesn't realize its own dumbness.

24 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Exactly.  The disagreement with Trump isn't with his lunacy or the ugly things he's saying, just that the emperor is finally parading through the town square buck naked, doesn't give a damn, and isn't requiring everyone to pretend not to see what they're seeing.  The party's spent more than 40 years perfecting dog whistles and euphemisms and a lot of them are clearly uncomfortable being out in the open like that.

Again: yep.  How dare he actually say what I've been feeling all these years?!

• Love 2

They're also mad because when they laid the groundwork to produce a trump nominee, they thought he'd be part of the party and not uncontrollable. I actually don't think he really cares that much about abortion, where people go to the bathroom, gay people getting married, etc.

John Miller / John Baron PR guy sounded just like Trump, used the same phrases as Trump, bragged about how great Trump is and we are supposed to believe that pretend John Miller isn't Trump? Lol! Isn't his son's name Baron too? 

Not a fan of the Latina correspondent at all.  She.was.awful!! 

Couldn't have been more proud to be a Canadian than watching the group Hasan was talking to about Syrian refugees being welcomed into our country. Looking forward to his interview with Prime Minister Trudeau. But no boxing match. The last time someone tried to challenge Justin in the ring, they got their ass handed to them.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Victor the Crab said:

Couldn't have been more proud to be a Canadian than watching the group Hasan was talking to about Syrian refugees being welcomed into our country. Looking forward to his interview with Prime Minister Trudeau. But no boxing match. The last time someone tried to challenge Justin in the ring, they got their ass handed to them.

Me too! The whole thing was very funny but it was also good to see Canadians in such a positive light. The (Cdn) right wingers are going to go nuts on Trudeau though for making an appearance on the show. They already blather on about how he gets so much publicity.

• Love 3

Agreed; that was wonderful.  So cool that private citizens in Canada can raise money to sponsor a refugee family's resettlement - I hadn't known that, but I love it.  That panel was awesome.  "We don't blame every American for Donald Trump" was a great comeback, and I laughed at that lady shutting Hasan down for saying "aboot" but letting him have "sorey."  Also, I can't remember the exact voiceover line, but, "I managed to get out of Canada in one piece, but then my African boss said I had to go back and talk to at least one Syrian family," really cracked me up.  Excited for tomorrow.

• Love 5