Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: The Future

I think I understand why I like Daniel and why he can be infuriating for some - I pretty sure he has Asperger's Syndrome.  His actions, such as his stand-offish behavior and erratic behavior regarding the pool, just ring with this.  I can completely understand the sadness and frustration over uncaring bureaucracy screwing him over.  I know what it feels like to assume your family regarding you as a burden (I think that was a sentence).  And that's another thing - communication is super difficult and frustrating for someone on the low-level of the Autism Spectrum, though admittedly Daniel's behavior around law enforcement doesn't help him at all.  Even I know not to be smart-ass and aloof around cops.

So, yeah.  What am I missing or not seeing?

• Love 3

Could Daniel be "commanded" to stay in the area if he's needed as a "material witness" wrt George's death / Trey's possible upcoming trial ... There's no way that I see that Trey can prove that George killed-his-own-self, particularly if Trey can be demonstrated to have (or have had) possession of the George's gun, i.e. the murder weapon... even more complicated, I don't think that Daniel knows that Trey knows what "really happened" to George. 

I realized in the last days that the "plot necessity" of the Senator's stroke is to sideline him sufficiently that he is not around to impede the investigation or -- more likely -- kill it entirely. 

• Love 3

Sometimes this show is so painful (for what the characters go through), I almost want to stop watching. Then there are episodes like this one that move me immensely with just plain humanity. There were several scenes here, many of them with Janet actually: The scene in the diner, reminiscing about her first husband and Marcy listening and connecting with her; the way that Dagget handled the interview with Daniel, and Daniel's almost disbelief that he wasn't the suspect; Melvin's continued acceptance of Daniel, even knowing that he deliberately spilled the paint; Janet in the kitchen with Ted and Teddy; and the pool scene at the end, *especially* between Daniel and Janet, talking about the two of them leaving -- "it's over", and why not go see the ocean... I'm blown away. It's so good, so beautiful in the expression. The fact that someone (a group, of course) creates such beautiful scenes of genuine humanity -- as opposed to so much of what's out there -- gives me hope. Sappy and sentimental I may be, but there it is.

I noticed that Ray McKinnon was listed as co-writer on this one. In some ways, it reminded me of the very first episode of the series, specifically Daniel and Tawney's first conversation where she showed such compassion toward him. I remember being so moved by that scene; it's what really hooked me into the show. I'd have to go back and specifically watch the ones McKinnon has written, but it seems to me that these types of scenes are most prevalent from him.

Finally,  Clayne Crawford continues to be spectacular as Teddy, but that kitchen scene, realizing that Janet knew about what happened to him, broke my heart. BTW, while I was glad that Janet asked in last week's episode what Teddy's part was in the altercation with Daniel, I equally appreciated that she didn't mention it here and made the moment only about her care for what Teddy went through.

• Love 14

I love Daggett. Such an evolution since episode 1, following Amantha's car, to investigating Daniel's attack, finding out about Teddy, hearing and not believing Daniel's confession, doing an actual fair investigation of George's death, and eventually telling Daniel he wasn't a suspect. Nice work, Sheriff (even though you're wrong).

Meanwhile Trey is all

qXP6xIJ.jpg

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 3

I pretty sure he has Asperger's Syndrome.

I have to disagree.  The only signs he has of Asperger's is poor social skills.

After being locked up for 20 years on Death Row that's to be expected.

• Love 6

I wouldn't even say that he has poor social skills.  He's just different from what we're used to.  Really different. 

He's an attentive listener.  He's thoughtful, caring and empathetic.  He doesn't babble.  He might be a bit too serious for parties, but he'd be a great movie date -- as long as it was a good movie.  He'd also be good in a book club.  You know he'd have an interesting, original point of view. 

• Love 11

This episode made me realize what I've missed this season - the interaction. Not the communicating kind obviously but just scenes with more than two n two. The pool scene was great. Makes me kinda sad that Janet & Daniel will take a road trip as I would love to see them interact as a family.

I know it's probably my lack of like for the character but I just don't see the point of Tawney and her backstory. I would much rather take the Holden family backstory & learn more about their past just to get (or try and get) a better grip of them all. With Tawney & Daniel being more or less a non-issue this season I just feel the Tawney scenes are wasting precious time from the actual story. I much rather take more of Janet in the diner reminiscing over her long lost husband than Tawney at her fostermom's. When it was about Daniel & her marriage to Teddy then I could deal with it but this just feels like such a waste.

And no Amantha in the promo for the finale. How dare you. Lol. But Jon Stern threatening the senator made up for that. Go Jon.

• Love 3

Finally! There is some movement in this episode. So glad Dagget is determined to get to the bottom of this and that we finally see the third guy involved. (The doctor).

Next episode looks explosive. Can't wait.

The biggest development for me this season is finally seeing Teddy as a sympathetic character. There were some real poignant moments there. Great acting.

On another note, my husband and I thought Janet's face or nose or something looked really different in this episode. It took us a minute in the cafeteria to be sure of who she was.

This episode is definitely the Rectify I fell in love with.

• Love 2

Finally,  Clayne Crawford continues to be spectacular as Teddy, but that kitchen scene, realizing that Janet knew about what happened to him, broke my heart.

My favorite scene of Crawford's in this ep was with the therapist. There was one thing Teddy said to her which could have come across as sarcastic, but Crawford delivered the line in such a way and used his face and body to show that he was kidding. I'll have to rewatch to remind myself of the specifics.

But, yes, he was great in the kitchen scene.

Bridgers is so good and evil as Trey. I think the first time I saw him was in Deadwood, and boy what a different character.

I noticed a couple of times -- maybe there were more -- where there was an extended shot of Daniel walking away from the camera. I wondered what the meaning was.

I had posted in the last thread that I rewatched some scenes from the ep where Trey and Daniel go to George's, and I said that Daniel had put Trey's canvas bag on the porch. That surprised me -- Why would he do that? Also, he got it from inside the cab rather than the truck bed where Trey put it -- but in this ep he tells Daggett that Trey got the bag out of the truck. I don't know if this is a continuity error or if what I saw in that early ep was not the bag. Can't imagine what it was, if not.

Oh, and I don't see Daniel as having Asperger's. 

• Love 5

Excellent episode--that scene with Daniel finally letting his guard down and speaking sincerely with the sheriff was a great payoff for all the time we've spent watching him be surly and shoot himself in the foot this season. 

They did an excellent job in ramping up the tension of the scene of the search warrant being executed. I feel like that was the same music that was played when George originally shot himself. By using a very light touch with the 'whodunnit'/murder-mystery/CSI elements of the show, there is a much greater impact when we get scenes like that. I was filled with dread when they opened the lockbox, and the final shot of Trey's expression was terrifying. Terrifying enough to make you forget that he didn't actually kill George. Interesting contrast to something like the first season of True Detective, where they just piled on horror after horror from scene one. 

I think McKinnon's claim that he 'thinks' Daniel did it was just misdirection. Wouldn't be the first time a show runner did something like that. 

I appreciate the actor's skill, but I feel like Teddy has become rather abruptly self-aware this season, to the point of being slightly out of character. I'm fine with character growth, but he's suddenly quite emotionally articulate. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 6

I think a lot of people are projecting "change" onto Teddy and, in fact, he's still his usual controlling and manipulative self ... He wants Tawny "home" where he can keep track of her ... he was trying very hard to "win" with the therapist but I noticed that what he would miss if he lost Tawny had only to do with her physical presence, his physical relationship ... not, say, the loss of their shared dreams or her faithful support of him or even "I've grown accustomed to your face" ... I'm not saying he's that shallow ... but I'm guessing that shallowness was not missed by the therapist ... I'd miss never kissing her, cuddling with her .... not her mac and cheese or her carefully prepared sack lunches.... their future children... 

He looked utterly stricken with Janet's condolences in the kitchen ... since he was concerned that his father "might" know ... I wondered what he made of her effusive sympathy ... regardless Janet did basically tell him to "man up" (which he needed badly, imho) and deal with the fact that her other son, Daniel, needed a place to stay and he would stay away for the time being if he couldn't deal with it. It was nice to see any character, in this case Janet, being assertive with both Ted and Teddy without being angry  ... or in anyway unpleasant  .... It was good to see Janet being maternal with Jared ... somehow Ted seems "too old" and too remote to be Jared's father / paternal figure (as he may well have been for Teddy when he was much younger - not age, personality).  Janet's so warm and observant ... when she gets a chance. I was glad to see Jared getting some attention -- full stop. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 3

I felt Teddy was being genuine with the therapist. I think he is trying to be a better person, which is all you can really do. And I know when my husband is out of town, I miss the physical things the most: sleeping next to him in bed, having him put his arm around me if I had a bad day. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate our relationship on a deeper level, it's just where the mind goes.

I don't really like Tawny and her angst either. She has no children, she clearly doesn't love Teddy, she should just file for divorce and stop all the wistful staring.

Happy to hear Daniel have a couple of actual conversations that didn't sound like ponderings from Yoda. I almost teared up when I saw the tear running down his face while he was talking to Janet. I like that finishing the pool was a metaphor for Daniel to finish his time in limbo, and that he can now see what the future holds.

I had to laugh though at Janet commenting on Jared listening to music while studying. i was doing that when I was a teenager and I'm in my fifties. Sometimes, this group is a little too Mayberry for the times.

• Love 5

This was a really great, uplifting episode that actually moved the plot forward.  I was glad to see Jared re-enter the narrative, though when Janet told him that in a few weeks she would tell him everything, I realized that could be another four years in our time... 

I think Daniel has chronic PTSD from his time in solitary confinement, not aspergers.  From other accounts I've read, many "nuerotypical" people have left solitary confinement with impaired abilities to relate to other people, read body language, understand irony etc. not because they became autistic, but because they've survived torture, and that trauma changes the brain.   What I loved about season one was that we were invited into Daneil's sense of 'timelessness' that he got from death row, complete with flashbacks and getting lost. 

• Love 12

Finally,  Clayne Crawford continues to be spectacular as Teddy,

I appreciate all the actors, but he's become my favorite.

I'm continuing to enjoy the writing, the realistic small-town feel, and the acting. And! We have a murder mystery and a determined sheriff to boot.

• Love 2

It's a testament to the quality of the show that I was jubilant to hear that the finale would be an extended episode. Every single minute counts. I enjoy the show so much that... when it decides to focus more on relationship dynamics I don't particularly care about, like Jon and Amantha or Amantha and random bar hook-up... I find myself pleading at the television, "please, please, get it out of the way!" Not because it's bad, but because I know we have so few episodes, and after this, I'll have to wait another year for the next season.

The scene between Daggett and Holden this episode was truly magical.

• Love 5

I  wonder if they'll have Daniel cleared of Hannah's rape and George's murder, yet never quite let us know if he did or didn't kill Hannah in the end. That seems like something the show would do.

• Love 3

Dumb question(s), but say they find out who killed Hannah in a way that is impossible to dispute, does that nullify Daniel's confession? Saying it was Trey who killed her, can he be tried or is there a statute of limitations like with that Duggar who molested his siblings? Double jeopardy means the same person can't be tried after an acquittal , not that the crime can't be retried, right?

I still don't think Daniel is 100% sure of his innocence. I trust he is innocent because of Kerwin. But even Daniel himself said his memories are like himself -- suspect (I loved that line).

• Love 2

PROGRESS!!!

Daniel practically went leaping tall buildings in a single bound.  I'm so happy!

He messed up the pool, but unlike the kitchen, he was right on top of the correction.  So sweet for him to be waiting for the pool supply place to open.  And Melvin even came through on the other side.  clap*clap*clap

He took a GIANT step when he interacted with the sheriff.  He interpreted the sheriff's intentions correctly, trusted his own perception and adjusted his response.  Yowza! 

[i'm going to ignore the stupidity of not calling his attorney.]

I think it was also huge that he called Janet and asked for a place to stay, even though Ted had kicked him out.  Back then he assumed the lump position on Amantha's lawn chair, so I was expecting him to go curl up under a bridge somewhere.  Look at this guy rock 'n roll! 

• Love 2

Damn, that was an amazing episode!

Even with no Kerwin (sob), it was easily one of the best they've done.

It's a testament to the quality of the show that I was jubilant to hear that the finale would be an extended episode. Every single minute counts.

The scene between Daggett and Holden this episode was truly magical.

I had to bold the above to show my enthusiastic agreement. So few shows can make every second seem so vital. I love that I have to pay very close attention to this show, love it.

How great was that scene with Daggett and Daniel! As you say, truly magical.

I thought the two actors were having a great time together there. It was like Daggett figured out the puzzle that is Daniel and Daniel picked the right time to click into place, if that makes any sense to anyone else but me. After it was over, I realized I'd been holding my breath the whole scene---it was just that damn great.

Was that Hanna Dean's hair scrunchy the cop found in Trey's shed?

Great episode.

The pool scenes were nice.

I believe that must be her scrunchy and what the hell was he thinking keeping it? Oh yeah, Trey thinks he's smarter than he actually is.

I love Daggett. Such an evolution since episode 1, following Amantha's car, to investigating Daniel's attack, finding out about Teddy, hearing and not believing Daniel's confession, doing an actual fair investigation of George's death, and eventually telling Daniel he wasn't a suspect. Nice work, Sheriff (even though you're wrong).

I have come to love Daggett, too. Good on you, Sheriff, for not sucking like your predecessor. Or the Senator.

Did she?  I was waiting for Teddy to admit his part but haven't heard it yet, not to Janet or Ted or the sheriff.

I'm not sure Janet knows the details of what happened, does she? I didn't hate Teddy this episode, but when he admits to everyone that he taunted Daniel, insinuated (outright said? I don't recall the dialogue of the scene) that he must've wanted to be raped, then I'll believe he's truly changed. He seemed to be making some steps this episode and I hope that continues.

I thought Tawney's foster mom might be awful for some reason, but she really wasn't. I liked Teddy and Tawney just admitting they're not good or right for each other. There's not always a reason or need for massive drama or someone to be the bad guy when a marriage ends; sometimes people just aren't good mates.

Amantha's line about another person other than Daniel capable of committing a crime in Paulie and Melvin's anger at the "buttholes" who ruined the pool were great. Melvin's especially. Him saying "butthole" cracked me and the husbutt up.

I speculated last year that the Senator seemed overly invested in Daniel being guilty and wondered if he was actually involved in Hannah's death or just covering for someone's kid or what, so I'm eager to see Jon's smackdown in the finale. Also, I love Jon and love when he's a badass. Go get that prick, Jon! (MorbidPet, I meant to quote you about Jon but messed it up.)

I never read interviews with the cast or McKinnon or any media about this show other than Sepinwall's reviews and the stories here, but I may go check some stuff out after the finale. It's weird because I read plenty about other shows I even mildly like so I'm not sure why I've avoided reading about this one.

Maybe I just don't want the spell to be broken by reality.

• Love 4

One thing I have to disagree with Janet on -- I don't think Teddy played a part in his attack. I think he was a fucking asshole to say Daniel could have prevented being raped, but he didn't deserve to be choked out and sexually assaulted himself...especially not at his place of work where he has to go and be reminded of the incident every day. Just because someone says something horrible doesn't mean you have the right to make sure they don't feel safe anymore.

I think Daniel understands this, hence his conversation with Tawney when he said all Ted did was verbalize a sentiment he was deeply familiar with already, and his (Daniel's) reaction "wasn't rape, but it was violent...unhinged."

• Love 3

Peanut, I didn't see Teddy as sexually assaulted -- waking up with cold coffee grounds in his crotch (pants on) is humiliating and maybe even emasculating, but it wasn't comparable to what happened to Daniel.  The choking, however, was uncalled for, and dangerous. 

• Love 1

I suspect Trey is so cocky because he may well know what really happened with Hanna -- and -- believes that he is absolutely beyond reach of Daggett ... I'm guessing that Trey knows that Chris, the doctor, senator's relative, is/was gulity as sin -- perhaps he killed Hanna to silence her after she accused him of rape -- and Trey has been using that knowledge and his assistance in framing Daniel as a get-out-of-jail-free card for the last 20+ years . Gotta wonder if he knows about the Senator's stroke.

• Love 1

AuntiePam, I felt there was definitely a sexual element despite there being no penetration. Even though it's small beans compared to what Daniel went through, I know if I woke up with even a harmless foreign substance in my "general crack area" that was put there by someone who undressed me while I was unconscious I'd feel extremely violated. I'm not trying to open a can of worms, or anything...I just think in this instance Teddy was a victim despite being absolutely deplorable to Daniel. If Teddy said what he did and Daniel had punched him in the face I'd feel differently, but the calculated taking of control to make a statement takes it to another level.

I do agree totally with Janet that the attack was the result of severe emotional damage and not indicative of Daniel's overall character.

• Love 1

and then Teddy followed up by accusing Tawny of not wanting the baby .... after she had miscarried ... which is a hair's breadth from suggesting that she miscarried "because" she didn't want the baby

I think Teddy assigns blame when he is scared of something he can't control and doesn't understand. He can't deal with the thought of an innocent man -- really a boy at that point -- being gang raped after being falsely convicted and sentenced to death. He can't deal with the loss of a fetus that he viewed as proof positive that he is a successful alpha male.

Rage doesn't require him to think, so Daniel is a disgusting and guilty individual who must be gay or fundamentally weak to have let other men have sex with him, and Tawney on some level must have purposely miscarried to spite him in favor of Daniel.

That's why I like him in therapy. He needs it! And seems to want it, deep down, because he is finally aware that he's broken in his own way.

As for Trey...the only reason I am not sure he's the killer is because it seems too obvious. Still, of Trey, George, and Christopher, Trey is the only one that seems capable of murder. George and Christopher would not be the first men to assume that a so-called slut saying no during sex that begun consensually didn't count as rape and only freaking out after the fact when they realize it could affect THEM. Trey, on the other hand, I can see both not giving a fuck that Hannah was raped AND actually killing her if he saw a way to benefit from it personally. I'd be really interested to see if Trey's bank account (and the Senator's campaign fund) went up by a lot of zeroes around the time of the murder. The way he calmly frames Daniel and has no trace of anxiety while being interrogated....it just screams sociopath.

• Love 1

I am sick of Tawney and her whole storyline. Ok, she is damaged, we get it. She likely marrid Teddy out of a need for a family of her own, but it is not working and if she does not love him and does not want his baby, just go. What is she doing coming back to the house? I don't think she is even considering reconciling. She ought to just go away and stay away and let Teddy try to make a new life for himself.

My favorite character is Jon Stern. Also, Amantha, some of the time. I thought Janet was hard on Ted, all things considered. She could have defended and shown her love for Daniel without being so hard on her husband. After all, Ted has an extremely legitimate reason to not want Daniel around. And he has bent over backwards, pretty much, to be as fair as possible to Daniel, all things considered. I hated that she left for the "road trip" on such negative terms with Ted, did not even hug or kiss him. Daniel has done so much damage to his family and doesn't even seem to care, recognize or appreciate it half the time. None of them will ever have a "normal" life again. Even if he is someday "cleared" of the murder, the damage is done and in a small town like that one, most people will always see him as guilty anyway. He confessed twice after all.

I sympathize with Daniel but am getting less tolerant of him, I guess.

Marshall is a great friend to have, also not really appreciated as he should be.

In spite of my gripes, I love this show and was completely absorbed in it. Watched all three seasons in one week.