Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: We Know Where They Live

• Start Topic

Damn, a young traveller mistake cost them the race. You ALWAYS know where your passport is at all times when travelling. 

Lots of mess ups around, and a number of lucky breaks. Good thing Citadel Hill is so visible around the city. And ALWAYS read the clues. 

Not sure if the two options were balanced enoguh, but still they were interesting. Another race rule, Know How To Swim. 

Fun leg, but I'm getting tired of DQ being associated with the Maritimes. :) 

Crap. Rule #1 when travelling, keep your passport close at all times!

I liked the lobster challenge and was amazed at the number of teams that gave up on that challenge.

Good leg overall I think,even if we are still stuck with Whining Sabrina!

• Love 1

The editing tried to make it look close, but I'm sure most of us knew Hamilton and Michaelia were still at the airport, waiting for his passport to be sent from Toronto, back to Halifax.  That's just too long a delay to overcome.

I love Halifax, I'm glad they spent the whole episode there.

• Love 1

Did Michaela and Hamilton even think that if they hadn't so quickly gave up their express pass this whole leg wouldn't have even mattered, they could have gotten the passport and possibly still be in the race. They also didn't even read the clue right for the beer task on top of Hamilton not being able to do the water task. 

• Love 1
(edited)

On the lobster challenge, what were the contestants wearing strapped to their chests? I thought maybe go-pros, but I don't think it was.

Microphone packs.

Fun episode, sad ending. I'm getting to like more and more teams, and I was totally sucked into Leilani's home town victory.

My favourite bit: Sean attempting to butch up his reaction post squeal.

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Love 2

Production must have been happy with the Haligonian weather. The constant grey overcast did make it easier to fool with team placements. 

At first I was thinking AC had known where the passport was and gave production a heads up and were holding it for a bit of drama set up. It never occurred to me  that it was in Toronto and they were waiting for the plane to arrive. I suspect Production was still notified and he was given a poke to 'check for your passport' so they could at least get the ball rolling on getting it back.

Frankly, I was almost positive this would be a NEL after all that. 

And while I do chastise him for forgetting it; it can happen to anyone. My mom is an experienced traveller, usually taking students on March Break or Summer trips around the world. A few years ago she took a group to Egypt, (the year before the Arab Spring), and she ended up leaving her passport on the plane. She had to catch up with the boat tour later on while the airline found it and got it to her in Cairo. 

As for the product placements, I didn't mind the bear and taverns; those are smaller, local companies that will probably get a healthy boost from this showing, but all in all, they're (relatively) small fry. The DQ/OJ and BMO and AC ones are getting a bit annoying; but I suppose they have to be an acceptable cost for sponsoring the show. Is it just me, or have they gone through 3 banks in 3 seasons now? Last year was Scotia and while I'm not sure what Season 1 was, something's saying "RBC". I guess Season 4 will have a TD Visa they'll be travelling with. 

As for the product placements, I didn't mind the bear and taverns; those are smaller, local companies that will probably get a healthy boost from this showing, but all in all, they're (relatively) small fry. The DQ/OJ and BMO and AC ones are getting a bit annoying; but I suppose they have to be an acceptable cost for sponsoring the show. Is it just me, or have they gone through 3 banks in 3 seasons now? Last year was Scotia and while I'm not sure what Season 1 was, something's saying "RBC". I guess Season 4 will have a TD Visa they'll be travelling with.

At least we didn't have to suffer through the always poorly acted out "I'd like to buy two tickets to <wherever> on my BMO MegaPoints Ultra Super Duper Mastercard" scene at the airport.  Those are just painful.

I don't understand how someone can leave their passport on the plane. Unless they forgot their entire bag/purse, which is still kinda WTF. I mean, are people carrying their passport in their hand and then stuffing it in the seat pouch? That's ridiculously stupid.

I really like the way the tasks involve so many skills - courage, physical skill, patience, memory, endurance - and they sure squeeze a lot into one episode. And it's great that team order changed throughout; it's boring when it's obvious all through whomismahead and who is at the end of the pack.

• Love 5

At least we didn't have to suffer through the always poorly acted out "I'd like to buy two tickets to <wherever> on my BMO MegaPoints Ultra Super Duper Mastercard" scene at the airport.  Those are just painful.

Um, Nick/Matt kind of mumbled their way through the script, but it was definitely there.

Third bittersweet episode in a row - great leg winner, unfortunate elimination. Clearly superior to the original episode in NS: a W-Turn on a TBC, like really?

Yup, the Ticket Buying Script was there and very awkwardly played. But it was in the first 5 minutes of the ep so easy to miss, before most of the action started.

As for leaving the passport on the plane, it's not that hard. When I travel I usually have it out with my ticket when boarding, so if you aren't thinking, you have to put it away after you get settled, usually in a bag's pocket somewhere. If you don't zip it up right or just put it in the seatback pocket, it can be easy to forget after a few hours travel.

But I am a bit confused, since even for domestic flights, I'd be using the passport as ID. If he forgot it on the South America to Toronto leg, how did he get on the Toronto to Halifax leg without realizing it? Now that I think of it, he probably DID forgot it on the Toronto to Halifax flight and by the time they realized it, the plane was already back to Toronto. If it was left in the seat back pocket, the cleaners probably wouldn't notice it. Being a shorter flight, it's easier to get into the mindset of "I'll just put it there; I won't forget that." and then forgetting it.

And maybe I wasn't paying as much attention; didn't they get the express pass? Did it go unspent or was it just worthless in the end? 

(edited)
And maybe I wasn't paying as much attention; didn't they get the express pass? Did it go unspent or was it just worthless in the end? 

You're half-right!

They did get the first EP in Chile and played it on the same round to win that leg, earning themselves a trip to Delhi. (Perhaps unintentionally more productive than what Kristen/Darren did...)

They then gave the second EP in this episode to fellow Maritimers Brent/Sean.

Edited by Vyas

I have the same question as a few of you-- how did Hamilton forget it on the plane.  They were coming from Santiago, Chile-- so it's an international flight.  When you deboard from an international flight don't you go through customs?  Even when coming from the US, I have to wait in the declaration line and in that line they ask to see your passport.  Hamilton should've needed his passport upon exiting the plane in Halifax, no? 

No, because since it was a Toronto-Halifax flight they wouldn't need to go through customs in Halifax it's a domestic flight. But he would have needed passport for the  customs in Toronto and also when boarding the plane to Halifax, to match the ID to his boarding pass so it's probably on that plane. 

As others said, he probably had it in his hand to show the attendant at the gate then got on the plane and shoved it somewhere instead of putting it back in a bag.

• Love 1
Frankly, I was almost positive this would be a NEL after all that. 

That's exactly what I was thinking, too, and was quite surprised (and a bit disappointed) when they got eliminated.  Either way, it was a fancy edit to give good PR for Air Canada, making it look like they returned the passport in record time. Overall, a great episode though; I was surprised how many people had trouble with the diving, especially when they had flippers.

• Love 1

Did the show actually say the passport had gone back to Toronto when I wasn't paying attention? I would assume lost items don't just keep flying around, so I thought it was just in an office somewhere on the grounds. But there would still be no getting around the amount of time a trip to, from, and around the airport entails. The Express Pass wouldn't have let them skip this so I don't know if it would have helped.

A lost passport, nobody reading their clue, and Nic and Sabrina melting down over smoothies. Unless they genuinely couldn't taste the difference between any fruits whatsoever, they should have at least been able to narrow down the options and find an answer that way. But like on the soccer task, a task that's not going their way kind of causes them to stop thinking clearly about possible solutions.

Sabrina's snark about Nic wanting to get over his fear of water by diving with lobsters was hilarious, though. I was kinda concerned about how some teams were casually tossing the lobsters around - Brian!- but I guess they're pretty hardy.

It depends on if the cleaning staff found the passport in Halifax or not. 

I agree that my initial assumption (that it was lost on the South American leg) was wrong; he had to have lost it on the Halifax leg.  If it was tucked in the seat pocket then it may have been missed in the cleaning and stayed with the flight back to Toronto. Then someone realized it (either it was found and production notified or he realized it and called AC to search) and they tracked it down in YYZ and put it on the first flight back. 

If it was just waiting at YHZ (ie found immediately after they deplaned), then I doubt they would have had to wait so long at the Lost and Found office; either he would have sent them to an AC rep with it, or it would have been waiting for them. (From the way it was filmed, there was clearly some waiting going on.). So reading between the scenes, it would seem that the ACC rep was bringing it in direct off the just-arrived Toronto flight. Since it was from the secured areas, they couldn't meet her until she got to baggage claim. 

Hell, if it had been at the airport the whole time, they could probably have arranged to have had it run into the city for them while they were doing the challenges, and picked it up at a travel agent or some other place (A Petro Can or a DQ or a BMO mayhaps? :P ).

With the Lobster task, I do admit I got a good laugh over one of those critters. He grabbed the edge of that bucket and just Would. Not. Let. Go.  

Did like seeing one of the guys go after and succeed at grabbing two at once too. 

Hell, if it had been at the airport the whole time, they could probably have arranged to have had it run into the city for them while they were doing the challenges, and picked it up at a travel agent or some other place (A Petro Can or a DQ or a BMO mayhaps? :P ).

But run in by whom? I'm not a huge TAR geek so I may misunderstand the rules, but if they lose their passport they have to go through the consequences, no? Would production just go get it for them and allow them keep racing like it never happened?

I would think that passports might be separated from regular Lost and Found, being that they're property of the government and the airport would eventually send them back. Or Lost and Found was closed for lunch, or already dealing with a traveller who was throwing an extended tantrum, or the passport was still on the cleaning employee's cart and they had to spend time figuring that out, etc, etc. :)

The plane scenario would have been exciting! but I don't think the passport still being in the airport means it's automatically produced in five minutes.

Remember, they called the airport just after finishing the first task. They didn't go out to the airport until they had finished the rest of the challenges (Plus travel time to the airport). So AC had lots of time to find it and get it somewhere appropriate, and YHZ isn't that big in the end. Presenting it within 5 minutes might be a bit much even if they had it on hand; but if it was on hand they shouldn't have been there for too long. 

I believe for Passports, if they are found and not claimed, you're supposed to drop them off in the mail ultimately, and the post office will eventually get it back to the right people. (But I may be wrong in that respect) 

True. But the AC or airport staff weren't the ones running the race - they would still have things to do with their day that weren't, make sure Hamilton and Michaela don't lose any time. Unless production is allowed to interfere, I would assume you can get airport staff bad luck just like you can get taxi driver bad luck. So maybe the person who took the call immediately got distracted, or they put the passport in a "safe" place that no one else could find.

I would assume the post office sends it on to the passport agency, who will try to get it back to you. The one time I lost my passport while traveling - though outside of Canada, in Heathrow - it turned up at the local embassy in less than a week. (At which point they had to refund my emergency passport fee, so thank you, kind stranger in Heathrow!)

I was really hoping for one of this week's Bonus Clips to address the passport issue, yet Insider Vids remain one of TARCAN's surprisingly weakest points.

(edited)

That's exactly what I was thinking, too, and was quite surprised (and a bit disappointed) when they got eliminated.  Either way, it was a fancy edit to give good PR for Air Canada, making it look like they returned the passport in record time. Overall, a great episode though; I was surprised how many people had trouble with the diving, especially when they had flippers.

Not only that but from some shots it looked like there was a rope that ran down to the bottom of the pool. Not sure if people could have used that to help them get down to the bottom.

I don't understand how someone can leave their passport on the plane. Unless they forgot their entire bag/purse, which is still kinda WTF. I mean, are people carrying their passport in their hand and then stuffing it in the seat pouch? That's ridiculously stupid.

It looks like the old Killer Fatigue had already hit for that team. I mean even if you forget about the passports, they ran a pretty bad leg, between bailing on the lobsters after already getting changed, to forgetting about the kegs (a few other teams are probably having the same issues). Then again I can't imagine how bagged I would be after flying from South America to Toronto then to Halifax and then racing. 

Also I figured they would get the passports back. Especially since how many times they mentioned Air Canada, you knew someone at Air Canada would find a way to get them the documents back. Even if it wasn't the airlines fault, it is a good show of customer service vs a bad one. Especially since they are a main sponsor.

Speaking of sponsorship, it was cool that the task involved a small brewery like Garrison, since considering DQ/Air Canada/GM/BMO  and how they seem to like big national partners, they could have just as easily done a task at the Alexander Keith's brewery in Halifax (and got some nice sponsorship cash from Anheuser-Busch). 

Edited by Kel Varnsen

YHZ is also ridiculously far from downtown Halifax (an hour round trip), so making a trip back there pretty much knocks you out unless you have a good lead.

I only catch this show when I'm home but I think they do a great job with it - it really stands up to the U.S. version. Hate the host though - his voice drives me nuts.

I don't understand how someone can leave their passport on the plane. Unless they forgot their entire bag/purse, which is still kinda WTF. I mean, are people carrying their passport in their hand and then stuffing it in the seat pouch? That's ridiculously stupid

I initially thought that Hamilton had taken out his passport to get the number to put on his customs card, but obviously he would have needed it at customs in Toronto, so it makes sense that it was left on the flight to Halifax.

I was actually visiting Halifax this summer, and while waiting at baggage claim, an announcement came on over the PA to let people know that someone had left their phone charger on one of the flights that had just landed.

As for that lobster who was grabbing the side of the bucket to avoid getting in, that's what it looks like when I try to get my cats into their carriers!

I think they do a great job with it - it really stands up to the U.S. version. Hate the host though - his voice drives me nuts.

Agreed on the first sentence, but not the second: Jonny Monty's authentically Canadian lilt is part of what endears him to TAR fans both at home and worldwide, as opposed to Phil Keoghan's tryhardish intonation that currently comes across as a garbled blend of Kiwi and Yankee.

• Love 3

YHZ is also ridiculously far from downtown Halifax (an hour round trip), so making a trip back there pretty much knocks you out unless you have a good lead.

Yeah the edit tried to confuse things but once they had to make that unscheduled airport trip they were pretty much done. The only way the actual finding of the passport would have mattered would have been if they'd lucked into a non-elimination leg.

Seen some folks on facebook questioning the passport rule in general; did you guys have a problem with it? It's not like Hamilton and Michaela didn't know that was the rule.

I like Jon's cute Canadian accent and demeanour but the way he pronounces kilometre always throws me off. Is it a prairie thing?

Seen some folks on facebook questioning the passport rule in general; did you guys have a problem with it? It's not like Hamilton and Michaela didn't know that was the rule.

What's the issue? International travel is part of the game now so how much would it have messed up production if Hamilton and Michaela were allowed to check in without passports, but then the next keg was in Europe and they couldn't even get on the plane?

I guess the question being raised was why Hamilton & Michaela couldn't go get the passport after checking in, on Race downtime. i.e. only Race tasks should count to their finishing position. But thinking about it, it only seems like that could have worked because the show made retrieving the passport look relatively easy.

Suppose they never found it, and then they had to drop out after Nic & Sabrina had already been eliminated. I can see why the show doesn't take that risk.

Yeah, it seems to me that the Downtime between legs is null time. You have to start a leg wtih the same things you ended the previous leg with. (Though on TAR US IIRC they did allow a team to buy shoes once because they had lost or hawked their footware on the leg). 

Plus, there's always the chance it's a continuous leg with no downtime, but if that was the case they could probably have picked up the passport when they got back to the airport to jump to te next leg (and hope they aren't being bussed to Newfoundland or something).

Do most airports still have lockers? I thought that died with the security theatre improvements since 9/11. Even if they do have a locker, you're risking having the gear left behind if you don't fly out from that location.

I think for simplicity's sake, production just mandates that in order to check in you need your passport and all of the TAR paperwork before you can be checked in, no exceptions.

Yup, the Ticket Buying Script was there and very awkwardly played. But it was in the first 5 minutes of the ep so easy to miss, before most of the action started

I hate that they go read the script to buy the tickets with $300 on the BMO mastercard...how do you buy a flight from Agrentina to Halifax with $300  lol

I didn't get why Hamilton woouldn't wear the costume for the dancing in Chile but wore a swimsuit in this episode, the brothers opted to wear t-shirts.  i don't care, people can do what ever they want but it makes it seem like manufactured drama around the dance routine and using the express pass.  What a minute, I'm complaining about manufactured drama??*facepalm*

i seriously think it would have been easier to count the damn i-phones then run up and down that elevateor 50 times!!!

For those who are as nerdy about such things as I am:

I like Jon's cute Canadian accent and demeanour but the way he pronounces kilometre always throws me off. Is it a prairie thing?

I know from my J-school days that the CBC standard is "KILL-o-mee-ter," rather than the "kill-AWM-ett-er" that every human being I've ever spoken to in real life actually says, so maybe it's the official standard at CTV as well? A quick google suggests that the former pronunciation is considered more correct, mainly because it sticks closer to how other metric units are pronounced (centimetre, for example). The prescriptivist set seems inclined to declare the "more correct" one the only correct pronunciation, and the variant an abomination.

• Love 2

Both pronunciations are correct. TV hosts must ascribe to certain standards set by their network for the sake of consistency, just as newspapers all follow CP style.

As for the passport, on TAR US a few seasons ago, someone lost their passport and the team was eliminated. I think they were in Russia at the time, so they were stuck there until they could get it replaced. That's the number rule of travel - keep your passport on your person at all times!

• Love 1

I didn't get why Hamilton woouldn't wear the costume for the dancing in Chile but wore a swimsuit in this episode, the brothers opted to wear t-shirts.  i don't care, people can do what ever they want but it makes it seem like manufactured drama around the dance routine and using the express pass.  What a minute, I'm complaining about manufactured drama??*facepalm*

I obviously don't know for sure, but weren't the costumes for the men basically loinclothes in Chile? Perhaps the more revealing outfit was a problem for him but a pair of swim shorts was not.

Late to the party.  Any one of the last two pairs could have been sent home as far as I was concerned. I've never seen such a couple of idiots like Michaela and Hamilton. From last week where he was too shy to wear a dance costume. (I still don't see what else more would be revealed than a swim suit.) And then instead of at least trying the other task to see if they could get it done quickish, they immediately opt for the express pass. The stupid hurts. Especially when this week they had an obvious use for it. And Hamilton couldn't even try one dive? And they couldn't read the instructions in the suds challenge either. Its not his sexual orientation that bugs me its his and Michaela's stupid play that drove me nuts.

Nic is another idiot I would be happy if he was gone. But I would miss Sabrina's cutting wit. One of those macho dumbass's that thinks they can do anything. But then get frustrated to the point of confusion and paralysis when they realize they were wrong about their capabilities. He can't finish a soccer challenge, even though he claims he is a player, he can't find the flag. Both cannot taste fruit flavours.