Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Girl Meets Fish

This episode was ridiculous and annoying. I hate Disney theme weekends anyways, but this was especially irritating. The whole concept was stupid. It was obvious from the beginning that everyone was replacing the fish so it made the Whodunnit aspect of the episode monotonous. I also was supremely annoyed with the return to 'sweet naive Riley we have to protect from the world'. Literally, everyone makes jokes about how goldfish don't live that long. This lesson would have been way better suited for a 5 year old than a 14 year old girl.

I also hated the thinly veiled disdain, for lack of a better word, for Fish Store Phil's job. As if he should feel bad for capitalizing on bunch of kids' neglect. They did the same thing with Debby Ryan's character at Demolition. Like why should she feel bad for taking advantage of stupid kids who are old enough to know better.

• Love 5

This episode was ridiculous and annoying. I hate Disney theme weekends anyways, but this was especially irritating. The whole concept was stupid. It was obvious from the beginning that everyone was replacing the fish so it made the Whodunnit aspect of the episode monotonous. I also was supremely annoyed with the return to 'sweet naive Riley we have to protect from the world'. Literally, everyone makes jokes about how goldfish don't live that long. This lesson would have been way better suited for a 5 year old than a 14 year old girl.

I also hated the thinly veiled disdain, for lack of a better word, for Fish Store Phil's job. As if he should feel bad for capitalizing on bunch of kids' neglect. They did the same thing with Debby Ryan's character at Demolition. Like why should she feel bad for taking advantage of stupid kids who are old enough to know better.

Fair points.

Those two points were rather annoying.

What the hell? No, seriously, what the hell? First, let's discuss a class pet, let alone a fish, in middle school. Then there's Riley who apparently has the brain power of a dead goldfish herself.  I mean, I get it's Disney, but I was waiting for Riley to hold up her fingers and proclaim she was "this many" just like Auggie. I'm also not sure this wasn't taped last season, the kids all looked younger to me. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I think it was taped last season.  I vaguely remember hearing that they held back an episode for this weekend.  

Not my favorite episode.  The Auggie character is not my favorite, but that's not the little actor's fault--it's the writing and direction.  A little Auggie goes a long way.

Edited by TVFAN

Filler Ep

Little suprised that middle school kids are taking care of goldfish makes me wonder how Riley is going to handle the whole making out, kissing, etc talk which is bound to happen. Or not?

Take a tip from BMW. They only showed Morgan in little bits and at one stage they disappeared her completely.

Might be the way to go for Auggie.

• Love 2

Well, I loved it! I even laughed aloud a few times. Yes, it was obvious a mile away that every kid replaced the fish, but so what? I'm totally stealing Auggie's line "They were icy, icier than two popsicles in Alaska, in winter, who didn't like each other." I also laughed at Farkle saying he screamed like a goldfish. It wasn't the best episode, but it's still better than most of what Disney Channel puts out. I also appreciated the lesson the kids taught themselves, that they should care about caring for something or someone to the fullest extent of their life. 

• Love 2

You can tell this is a transposed Season 1 episode--it's that inferior.

The good is that it did have a sense of the ridiculous. The bad is that it just wasn't that clever.

This was probably the least annoying Ava was in any Season 1 produced episode, but she was STILL pretty annoying. And Auggie was onluy inches away from "I'm five!" territory.

It WAS confusing that Yogi was there (and named). I didn't think he'd shown until the legit Season 2 episodes.

For those that complain that Maya has taken over Season 2 too much, perhaps this should be a lesson what happens when Riley is the clear lead (well, unless we want to say Auggie is... which is even worse).

• Love 3

Oof, that was a bit hard to watch. Agree it's the weakest of S2, probably not surprising being it was a held back episode but yeah. I did think Auggie was alright, some points he was pretty good, some were grating. Overall too much Auggie though, I'd agree with that. Also Ava was less annoying the usual. 

Riley picked up the annoying mantle though, they took the naive/stupid waaayyy too far with her, even my suspension of disbelief was stretched (and that is pretty hard to do =/). 

Agreed about the mild disdain for Fish Store Phil in there, didn't seem like he was doing anything wrong. At least they didn't go full out "he's a villain," and in general I really liked Fish Store Phil. 

There were a couple laughs though, and I got a bit of a laugh from the et three joke (it was really dumb but I still like it ><). 

One of the worst, if not the worst episode of the series so far. What middle school history class has a class pet fish? These kids aren't in elementary school. I just found that utterly strange and it didn't make sense.

We're back to the annoying naive dumb as a bag of rocks Riley.

Too much Auggie, and I just found him grating to watch.

Didn't like the pet store owner character nor did I find him funny.

Unfunny, waste of time episode that I'll never watch it again.

Anytime I see that an episode has an abundance of Auggie and Ava, my eyes start to glaze over in boredom. Agree on the weirdness of a middle school history class having a class pet, its something that would make far more sense if Cory was their homeroom teacher.

Riley is way way too old to not understand that 25 cent goldfish die quickly and are easily replaced, I hate when they dumb her down. 

There are genuinely talented kid actors out there, but IMO the kid who plays Auggie and the girl who plays Ava are not among that category. I feel like the director and other actors just let the two of them ham it up way way too much and write/ react around that. And yes, I totally realize that technically I am too old to be watching this show and little children who watch Disney shows probably love them.

• Love 2

They should have just left this one in whatever dumpster they threw it in. Horrible episode! I just didn't get at all the whole "woooo done it" bit. I get they are kids, but they are not that young, even Auggie, to think there was foul play in a goldfish dying in front of the class. None of it made sense and felt way too much like they were being forced to tell a story that just wasn't there.

I do not like these theme week things Disney does for that reason. It's like DC went to each show and said "you have one day to make a mystery themed show....GO"

The one good thing I can say is, Ava was not the most annoying thing this ep. I think Auggie was way worse.

• Love 2

Apparently I was the only one who ever had middle school teachers with class pets, so I just want to throw out that it does happen. My seventh grade science teacher had a pet hamster I remember taking home once, and there were other teachers with pets as well.

I do think that a goldfish is kind of a weak class pet for middle schoolers to feel invested in, but I'm more concerned about how little goldfish care they seem to have been taught. Goldfish can live for a decent amount of time if probably cared for.

My seventh grade science teacher had a pet hamster I remember taking home once, and there were other teachers with pets as well.

Even a science teacher makes sense though, usually there are units that have the students studying wildlife and various animals where pets might come into play to teach the students, and a class pet could make sense in that situation. But in what reality would it be logical for a history teacher to have a class pet that the students take care of? It doesn't go together.

• Love 1

Even a science teacher makes sense though, usually there are units that have the students studying wildlife and various animals where pets might come into play to teach the students, and a class pet could make sense in that situation. But in what reality would it be logical for a history teacher to have a class pet that the students take care of? It doesn't go together.

Yeeeah, the pet was really never relevant to the lessons or the type of science we were learning about. There was also an English teacher with, I think, a rabbit. Middle school class pets just don't seem that weird to me.
(edited)

Now Dog With A Blog knows how to do themed episodes. The BMW/GMW writers were never good at them. Remember the BMW war flashback episode? *shudders*

Aw, I loved BMW's timetravel episodes and the WWII one was the best of them. This one reminded me of the one with Eric narrating the noir episode. Not the best episode, but I got a few laughs out of the offscreen fish murders.

Edited by bettername2come

Add me to those who was not surprised to find this was a season 1 hold over.  This was actually the first episode I only watched one time (yes, I am an adult and yes, I watch each episode at least twice....more if it's an episode with characters from BMW).  I was not invested in anything in this episode.  And I despise when they make Riley all doe eyed and idiotic.  The Pluto episode where she is "looking for a bird" in the beginning made me want to smack her.  Disney theme weekends are usually a better idea on paper than they turn out to be on screen.  This was probably the least annoying Ava has ever been, though, so they DO get points for that.

• Love 2

Fun fact for us "older" viewers: one of the establishing shots shown before Phil's Fish Store is the library where Miranda and Steve got married on Sex And The City!

New York viewers will recognize it as the Jefferson Market branch of the New York Public Library : a former courthouse, next to a garden that once was the NY Women's House of Detention.  And a couple of blocks from the Stonewall Inn.

I am not surprised that there were 105 fish. I am surprised that there were apparently 105 fish TANKS. 

Are these kids going to buy new cars when they need new windshield wipers, too?

That said, I always hold network theme shows to lighter standards (they are only one step ahead of Simpson's Tree House of Terror for character continuity, frankly). That doesn't mean I like them - this one won't get a purposeful rewatch from me - but I don't hold it against GMW in general. 

• Love 1

Yes, it was definitely season 1.  Riley was noticeably younger looking than she has been in the S2 episodes, as was Auggie.  Add in the season 1 opening credits, and it was pretty clearly taped then.  I wonder if the whole theme weekend was supposed to happen earlier than it did, because otherwise, it makes little sense for them to have taped this last season for airing after several S2 episodes have already aired.  (Of course, I also think it's odd that the mystery episode of Jessie is apparently the series finale. So the timing of the theme weekend already seemed off to me.) 

My intelligence was insulted by watching the episode.

My Tivo specifically said it was episode 119, and the copyright at the end of the episode said 2014.  Two more indicators it was from first season.

But yes, let's pretend this never happened.  Gbb is completely right.

• Love 2