Type keyword(s) to search

The Taylor Swift Topic: Teen Country Sensation to World-Dominating Pop Star

UYI
  • Start Topic

I can definitely believe that she got death threats. I mean people aren't afraid to tweet at Leslie Jones comparing her to a gorilla so I think anything goes on twitter. I think Taylor's career will be fine in the long term, but she should probably stay away from social media for a while like Ed Sheeran has done (for completely different reasons of course). 

• Love 1
(edited)

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that no one would send death threats to someone on social media because I've seen it happen numerous times. I'm just saying that watching this whole thing go down, I'm skeptical. Because all I saw was a lot of "you should be ashamed of yourself", "why bring a child into this", etc. and comments in that vein and then suddenly moments later they're gone and then there's some claim about death threats. Again, maybe it did happen but color me not convinced. I think she thought she was being so clever and bad ass and sticking up for her friend and like Selena and her tweet, she got dragged and so she ran into a corner and cried wolf. YMMV. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

I definitely believe she got death threats. Other people not seeing them doesn't mean they don't exist (if someone sent me death threats, I would delete and block that person). Honestly, it's more difficult to imagine her not getting them than her getting them. 

Edited by narrativeaddict
(edited)

YMMV but I have been following this whole thing since Kim started releasing those clips and I'm sorry but I haven't seen anyone caring that much about it to the level of death threats. People are amused by this and enjoying seeing Taylor get hers. Honestly, the only people who seem truly outraged and frothing at the mouth are the Swift stans who believe she is being bullied and stalked and harassed and whatever else they've accused the whole internet and anyone who dislikes her, of. Like I followed the stuff sent at Selena and yeah she got dragged, but more in that she was being mocked with people calling her medicore, a shitty singer, accusing her of being up Taylor's ass but no one is truly so outraged in my opinion by this to send death threats to this girl that they barely even know unless they're a Taylor fan.

The Leslie Jones situation is different because one, she was exposing racism so that's already very ugly and hateful and that of course got tied into the Black Lives Movement/police brutality/police violence, which of course is at a very scary and angry and violent point in the country right now. So I don't doubt for a second shit is very, very scary right now online in relation to that. I just do not buy that the people who are enjoying seeing Taylor's hypocrisy be exposed and her getting some comeuppance are to the place of sending death threats. Frankly, I'm more willing to buy some Swift fans sending Kim death threats right now with how pissed off they are that their sainted queen is being dragged online. Maybe I'm wrong but she is Taylor's BFF after all and we know how she loves playing the victim. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
(edited)

Across numerous allegiances (Swift fans, Kanye fans, Britney Spears fans, Trump fans, Hillary fans), there are people sitting behind keyboards who will say terrible things.  Saying "in this specific instance, no one would ever, ever do this" is overreaching. Anonymous Internet commenters will say all sorts of things.  I don't know Taylor's friend, but I'd believe anyone who said "I got death threats" for saying something controversial.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

This is interesting. Three Taylor fans--two who have met her, one who Taylor follows on Tumblr--talk about the situation with Kim. Even they are having a hard time completely supporting her on this:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a61517/taylor-swift-kim-kardashian-fans-respond/

That's very interesting. They were really thoughtful about how they feel & all 3 sound shocked. The best quote was this IMO

But I have been talking to my other friends who are big Taylor fans and we did admit that we really don't know her as well as we always thought and there's never going to be a time where we do know her well enough that she can't still keep certain secrets from us. And we are aware of that now. She really only tells us what she wants us to know. We thought we knew her very well before this, but it was kind of eye-opening that we may not know her as well as we think.

It really describes how fans can feel about celebrities. This girl was one of the people who were invited to Taylor's house, & she really thought she knew her & everything about her. 

• Love 4

I think Swift is too powerful for this to really hurt her, but that Cosmopolitan article shows one aspect that might get a bit troublesome for her. She's built her brand so strongly on being "authentic" and a good role model and sharing her feelings diary-like with her fans, that some might feel alienated when they discover that this is carefully crafted persona hasn't much to do with "real Taylor" (whoever that is). She's cultivated this narrative of being relatable, and all her diss songs resulting from her being eternally wronged and getting her just revenge, of always having the moral high ground. And now she's in muddy waters. Will she continue with this pose forever? Nevermind this "scandal", it will blow over. But at a certain point this becomes artistically limiting, arguably it already is.

• Love 2
(edited)

Like I said in another thread, I don't see this sticking. Seriously, girl is like bullet proof. I mean this is the person who dated a 17 year old when she was 23, which would be illegal in some states and worse the kid was still in high school, having had to repeat a year because he missed months of school because he was grieving for his mother who killed herself a year before and she barely got any shit for that. Flip that situation to say a male celebrity and some would call the situation predatory because that kid was clearly in a vulnerable place. And yet, no one batted an eye and everyone has since completely forgotten about it. 

For every fan or two who feels "so disappointed", there are at least ten or more who have only doubled down harder in their stanning for her because they see her as a victim even more. Seriously Tumblr has been fascinating to ready these last few weeks. My favorite was the essay length post about how Calvin Harris' tweets were emotionally abusive to Taylor. I'm not kidding you. 

As I've said, I'm sure all of this will make for great material for her next album that all the fans will flock to, not least of all for the curiosity factor of what she'll come with after facing this kind of backlash that she's never faced before. So she'll likely sell some more million copies of her album, the critics will kiss her ass as they've done for all her albums and it'll all be fine. She'll continue to play the poor, sainted and victim Taylor role and many of her fans will continue to buy it.

Hell, from what I've heard, 1989 actually saw an increase in sales this past week and all her older albums jumped back into the Top 200. Taylor has worked too hard and done way too good of a job convincing her fans that she is truly this kind, gawky, "just like them" girl who just wants to find a great guy and love, while the other big and bad bullies attack her; for this one incident to destroy her. It won't happen but man have I enjoyed seeing her little halo crack just a little. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

As a person who has hated Taylor Swift from the word go, I sat and watched this with glee the past few days.

Maybe now she'll take her planned vacation as she stated she would and go away for a little while.

My favorite thing ever is when someone tweeted asking if she called to tell Harry Styles she was about to destroy his character on an entire CD to get approval first.

Or John Mayer?

Jake Gyllenhaal?

Joe Jonas?

Any of them get phone calls for her character assassinating them?  

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, katha said:

I think Swift is too powerful for this to really hurt her, but that Cosmopolitan article shows one aspect that might get a bit troublesome for her. She's built her brand so strongly on being "authentic" and a good role model and sharing her feelings diary-like with her fans, that some might feel alienated when they discover that this is carefully crafted persona hasn't much to do with "real Taylor" (whoever that is). She's cultivated this narrative of being relatable, and all her diss songs resulting from her being eternally wronged and getting her just revenge, of always having the moral high ground. And now she's in muddy waters. Will she continue with this pose forever? Nevermind this "scandal", it will blow over. But at a certain point this becomes artistically limiting, arguably it already is.

It's really odd that it took THIS for some people to question that relatability. I mean in some sense, all of the girl squad business with every possible big name female star should have destroyed that years ago. And her penchant for dating big A-list stars. Sure, there was always the argument "who else are you going to hang out with, and who else date, when you are THAT famous" but that simply explained her reasons for being around those people--it didn't justify the odd insistence that it somehow didn't affect her relatability to people living paycheck to paycheck, taking buses to work, ignoring their extra 25 pounds, watching Taylor on TV and in the tabloids.

And for years I think the savvy could spot the smug part of her around the faux-relatability. 

Not that Kanye is any better. The biggest lesson from all of this is that none of these people are like us.

Its an interesting notion that she may have to artistically retrench after this. I agree. She could ditch any pretenses of Girl Next Door entirely and go total glam. She could retreat into Country--perhaps living in the sticks for a few months with paparazzi well notified that they'll get lots of shots of her working on some farm or ranch and owning horses and such, and try a back to basics approach where she teases the pop audience across the gap. She could do a Dance album.  Who the hell knows?

• Love 1

Hell, from what I've heard, 1989 actually saw an increase in sales this past week and all her older albums jumped back into the Top 200. Taylor has worked too hard and done way too good of a job convincing her fans that she is truly this kind, gawky, "just like them" girl who just wants to find a great guy and love, while the other big and bad bullies attack her; for this one incident to destroy her. It won't happen but man have I enjoyed seeing her little halo crack just a little. 

I don't think this is the end for her (unfortunately) but Rome wasn't built in a day.   I just think it's clear she isn't INVINCIBLE anymore.  LOL There are Tennis players speaking out about what a phoney she is and how she likes to play the victim. LOL.   Kim and Kanye are far from the only serpents in Hollywood, nor do I believe they are the smartest or most cunning.   I think this is blood in the water and future Taytanic victims or targets might not so readily eat it with a knife and fork.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

Its an interesting notion that she may have to artistically retrench after this. I agree. She could ditch any pretenses of Girl Next Door entirely and go total glam. She could retreat into Country--perhaps living in the sticks for a few months with paparazzi well notified that they'll get lots of shots of her working on some farm or ranch and owning horses and such, and try a back to basics approach where she teases the pop audience across the gap. She could do a Dance album.  Who the hell knows?

The thing is, she never really sounded country outside of her first album (and even then, she still crossed over starting with her second single), and she had a lot of traditionalists in the genre (including the author of one of my favorite blog sites, Saving Country Music) who criticized her for that very reason from the beginning. Ironically, she probably finally gained their respect once she finally went pop, even if it hurt the genre somewhat financially to lose her, because she finally admitted that she didn't actually belong in country. She probably still has a lot of people in Nashville who like her personally--and fans of her earlier albums who miss her old sound--who might welcome her back (Lord knows one of the big things that helped her in the beginning was how aggressively she courted mainstream country radio), but I wouldn't assume anything right away, either. And compared to when she started 10 years ago, there are a lot of women who make REAL country music who many people wish radio would play more often (or, you know, at all). 

On 7/18/2016 at 10:01 AM, MargeGunderson said:

The only thing that is tempering my enjoyment of this is that it involves Kim Kardashian being correct.

Well, as the old saying goes: Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 

Edited by UYI

I liked her unabashedly until her success with 1989, which seemed to really go to her head.  When she was younger, her antics didn't bother me as much because most young people  (even extremely successful ones) are immature.  Now that she's 26, she should display more maturity.  At least she's dating older men again (though I don't think she ever dated anyone who was 17 when she was 23).

(edited)
10 minutes ago, narrativeaddict said:

I liked her unabashedly until her success with 1989, which seemed to really go to her head.  When she was younger, her antics didn't bother me as much because most young people  (even extremely successful ones) are immature.  Now that she's 26, she should display more maturity.  At least she's dating older men again (though I don't think she ever dated anyone who was 17 when she was 23).

Yes she did, Conor Kennedy (in 2012, during the run up to Red). Now granted, she was actually 22 GOING on 23, since her birthday's in December, but close enough. 

Edited by UYI

But which 17 teen year old had their mother commit suicide? I'm pretty sure Maria Shriver is still alive.

I mean this is the person who dated a 17 year old when she was 23, which would be illegal in some states and worse the kid was still in high school, having had to repeat a year because he missed months of school because he was grieving for his mother who killed herself a year before and she barely got any shit for that.

(edited)

Taylor dated Conor Kennedy who is the son of Robert Kennedy Jr.  Mary, Robert's estranged wife and Conor's mother, did commit suicide.  Maria Shriver is the mother of Patrick Schwarzenegger.  Miley Cyrus dated him.

Edited by onthebrink03
(edited)
40 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

But which 17 teen year old had their mother commit suicide? I'm pretty sure Maria Shriver is still alive.

Already answered but yes, you're confusing the two. Patrick is Maria and Arnold's son, who is Connor's cousin. Connor's father is Robert Jr. who is currently married to actress Cheryl Hines. And it's understandable you'd be confused because at the beginning of their relationship, when Ms. Swift was well aware how creepy the relationship was, they tried to throw the media off by her and Connor always being photographed in a group with Patrick, who was 19 at the time and some other cousins.

So at first, the media wasn't totally sure which one she was dating - Connor or Patrick. Many were adamant it was Connor but I remember some of her fans not believing it because well, he was 17 and in freaking high school. Until he turned 18 and what do you know, the cutesy, kissing pictures of them started to show up. And like I said, that barely made a blimp and everyone just totally forgot about it. Oh but that's right, you can't comment on these things because per Ms. Swift and her stans, it means you're slut shaming and not a feminist. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Already answered but yes, you're confusing the two. Patrick is Maria and Arnold's son, who is Connor's cousin. Connor's father is Robert Jr. who is currently married to actress Cheryl Hines. And it's understandable you'd be confused because at the beginning of their relationship, when Ms. Swift was well aware how creepy the relationship was, they tried to throw the media off by her and Connor always being photographed in a group with Patrick, who was 19 at the time and some other cousins.

So at first, the mother didn't know which one she was dating - Connor or Patrick. Many were adamant it was Connor but I remember some of her fans not believing it because well, he was 17 and in freaking high school. Until he turned 18 and what do you know, the cutesy, kissing pictures of them started to show up. And like I said, that barely made a blimp and everyone just totally forgot about it. Oh but that's right, you can't comment on these things because per Ms. Swift and her stans, it means you're slut shaming and not a feminist. 

This relationship was one of the closest she came to discussing to the press, because before she began seeing Conor, she talked about how she had read the book The Kennedy Women, and about meeting Ethel and Rory Kennedy. It's in her Rolling Stone profile from 2012, when they were still together:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/taylor-swift-in-wonderland-20121025

(edited)

truthaboutluv, how do you know they were dating (while she was 22) before he turned 18? That seems pretty speculative.  I'm not saying I don't think a 22 year old dating an 18 year old is kind of squicky, but when you're playing this kind of numbers game, facts matter.  Turning 22 in 6 months is not the same as 23.  You can make your case without misrepresenting facts.

• Love 1

Few things, one, I'm not making a case for anything. This is not a court of law, it's not that serious. I'm stating my opinion that one can agree or disagree with - doesn't really bother me one way or the other. So no, like with everything about any celebrity we all post about on here, I don't know for a fact that they were together before he was 18 because I don't know either party personally and never said I did. 

But what I do know is that she was photographed for about a month and half with him and his cousins, always in a group, when he was still 17. Then in July, about a week after his 18th birthday, the paps "caught" them holding hands, confirming the relationship. But I'm sure she just suddenly looked at him as soon as he blew out those candles on his birthday cake and realized he was hot and they got together then. 

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Few things, one, I'm not making a case for anything. This is not a court of law, it's not that serious. I'm stating my opinion that one can agree or disagree with - doesn't really bother me one way or the other. So no, like with everything about any celebrity we all post about on here, I don't know for a fact that they were together before he was 18 because I don't know either party personally and never said I did. 

But what I do know is that she was photographed for about a month and half with him and his cousins, always in a group, when he was still 17. Then in July, about a week after his 18th birthday, the paps "caught" them holding hands, confirming the relationship. But I'm sure she just suddenly looked at him as soon as he blew out those candles on his birthday cake and realized he was hot and they got together then. 

Dead.

• Love 1

As I've said, I'm sure all of this will make for great material for her next album that all the fans will flock to, not least of all for the curiosity factor of what she'll come with after facing this kind of backlash that she's never faced before.

Oh you know she is already writing an album of songs about this drama. I am guessing the first single will probably be in the ballpark of her song "Mean".

I do not think any of this will stick to Taylor. It is fun to watch now, but she has an enormous amount of fans. I have a hard time seeing any of them jump ship. I guess I will take some of her fans questioning her a bit, since I really think that is all I am going to get.

It's not a court of law, but you were making a case for something (hence the stretching of the age gap), and I disagreed with that tactic. Like you said, I'm allowed to do that. Do you ever read Lainey Gossip?  She criticizes Taylor A LOT, but I love how calibrated she is about it.  She ends up being very convincing.

(edited)

Tactic... say what? Okay, I think there is a confusion here, so let me clear it up. Everything I post on this forum on any topic is my opinion period. I am not here to convince anyone of anything. I do not care if anyone agrees or disagrees with me and I never have. I state my opinion and that is it. I wasn't trying to convince you of anything so I do not care what is or isn't convincing to you. It is my opinion, and I explained why I have said opinion, that she was diddling a 17 year old kid, hid it until he turned 18 and then like all her two second relationships, it was over in a few months. That's my opinion - agree or disagree, I do not care. And now I'm done. 

Oh you know she is already writing an album of songs about this drama. I am guessing the first single will probably be in the ballpark of her song "Mean".

Oh this is so beyond the level of Mean. If she created that song just because a music critic criticized her singing, fairly so mind you, then her responses to this is sure to be epic. I'm sure it'll be in the vein of "woe is me, I'm so victimized but I'll survive because I'm the ultimate underdog" even though as Cosmo rightly stated in an online article, she's never been an underdog. But she got a whole bunch of naive female fans to believe and buy into it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

Let's cool down, everyone. Taylor Swift is a public figure, so commentary will happen. Whether one agrees with it or not, let's stick to that and not go after each other. We are all allowed opinions without being attacked, on either side. Let's keep this civil, please.

I was really surprised how little backlash she faced for the Connor Kennedy thing, considering how creepy it was. I guess people forgot about it because she got together with Harry Styles right after (who, incidentally, was also only 18 at the time) which of course made a much bigger splash seeing as he was very famous himself.

She certainly has never shied away from pretty explicitly calling out people in her songs so complaining about Kanye doing it is very hypocritical. At least he called her beforehand, I doubt she called Camilla Belle before she described her as someone who sleeps her way to the top in "Better than Revenge".

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CaughtOnTape said:

She is OWNING this douchebag DJ and his asshole lawyer in court today.

Damn.  Go Taylor.

Absolutely. I stand behind a lot of my criticism of her in the past (and apologize for some my more extreme criticism where needed), but she has my back here 100 percent. 

I have never been a big Taylor Swift fan, however death threats if they did happen are just something that should never occur. I don't care how much you hate someone threatening to kill them is just plain wrong. Another thing is celebs in general feed off of this sort of news and drama because it gets them in the spotlight. Taylor hasn't been in the mainstream for  bit lately so this is something(although sad) gets her name out there in the media and people talking. It's not just Taylor it is many of the celebs that do this sort of thing. I certainly hope though that the death threats weren't real because that shit is real and scary.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

Absolutely. I stand behind a lot of my criticism of her in the past (and apologize for some my more extreme criticism where needed), but she has my back here 100 percent. 

Same. There are things I like about her and things I dislike, but I'm behind her here, and, like the author of this HuffPo article, I'm annoyed that the people who are usually all over this sort of thing are remarkably silent now.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

Same. There are things I like about her and things I dislike, but I'm behind her here, and, like the author of this HuffPo article, I'm annoyed that the people who are usually all over this sort of thing are remarkably silent now.

I don't completely agree with the "Taylor Swift can't win" narrative--if anything, I thought she got away with the Kim and Kanye tape a BIT too easily, and there are racial stereotypes in play more serious than that situation might initially suggest, but as a feminist, she has my full support in this battle. Her being brave for doing this while also often being VERY tone deaf about feminist issues as a whole is not mutually exclusive. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, UYI said:

I don't completely agree with the "Taylor Swift can't win" narrative--if anything, I thought she got away with the Kim and Kanye tape a BIT too easily, and there are racial stereotypes in play more serious than that situation might initially suggest, but as a feminist, she has my full support in this battle. Her being brave for doing this while also often being VERY tone deaf about feminist issues as a whole is not mutually exclusive. 

I agree.  Whoever wrote that article needs to go sit in a corner and breathe for a minute.  What happened to Taylor Swift was bullshit but this writer is making it sound like she was raped on national TV while people cheered.

Taylor is a polarizing character and that is HER OWN fault.

Not to mention, I'm not really down her defending a woman with her "you all should be ashamed of yourselves" judgment and then taking a swipe at Demi Lovato who is also a woman.  

Taylor should be applauded for what she's done here and I think she has been.  Just because people aren't making a show of it means what?  I'm kind of over this whole idea that everything needs to be made into a huge Twitter show of support.  I have Twitter, I haven't tweeted her support, it doesn't mean I don't support her in this fight.  If for no other reason than this dude is one of those douchebags who thinks he's entitled to do whatever the hell he wants when he wants and he ran into someone who's challenged him on that front.  I respect her for that.

• Love 3

I don't know. Depending on how dark she actually goes, this could actually REALLY backfire on her. I could see all the parents who still hang on to their "Taylor Swift is such a good role model" mantra feeling nervous if this goes the wrong way. 

And not to be THAT person, but after such a male-dominated top 10 this year, it kind of depresses me that she may be the only woman to get past a debut week at number one and sustain it. Almost every other single woman this year hasn't been able to get past their first week. 

And she actually may not pass 1989 in sales with Reputation. Remember: Adele surpassed her with 25 pretty easily, and she could still do it again. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

I don't know. Depending on how dark she actually goes, this could actually REALLY backfire on her. I could see all the parents who still hang on to their "Taylor Swift is such a good role model" mantra feeling nervous if this goes the wrong way. 

And not to be THAT person, but after such a male-dominated top 10 this year, it kind of depresses me that she may be the only woman to get past a debut week at number one and sustain it. Almost every other single woman this year hasn't been able to get past their first week. 

And she actually may not pass 1989 in sales with Reputation. Remember: Adele surpassed her with 25 pretty easily, and she could still do it again. 

Don't know if she'll pass the 1989 sales, but I still think her fan base has broadened much more than just the young teen girls like myself to more young adults which will keep this a major hit.

• Love 1

YMMV but I don't see Taylor going to some hardcore place that parents who saw her as a role model will be scandalized. Based on the album cover and name, I just think this is going to be her addressing all the accusations of her being fake and a snake. Hence the creepy snake image she had floating around on her social media. It'll probably just be some maudlin, over the top stuff about how she'll rise and won't be broken, etc. etc. 

As for her sales, she will be fine. No way she'll do Adele numbers because please, Adele is in her own sphere but I'm sure it will be a hit. I said it when all the backlash and drama was happening last year that if anyone thought Kim Kardashian, a woman who is as loathed as she has fans, if not more so, would bring Taylor down, they were sorely mistaken. Taylor worked too long and too hard cultivating this cult-like adoration from her fans for that to be the thing that threatens her career. 

I'm sure like any other artist, there will come a time when the sales won't be like they were but I don't think it's going to be now. 

eta: Just heard the first single and maybe scrap what I said about her having another hit, lol. Wow, that single is bad. I hated Shake It Off but I could see it being a hit because it was pure pop ear candy. I don't know what the hell that mess is. But who am I kidding, the critics will continue to blow smoke up her ass and her fans will eat it up.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, UYI said:

What. the. fuck. I'm weirdly intrigued by it, but still. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

WTF is right, it sounds like she declared war on everybody.

• Love 2

I'll admit I'm intrigued and curious to hear the rest of the album. I'm not a 'Swiftie' per se (I'm way outside her target demo...LOL) but I do like a lot of Taylor's songs and I've never fully understood all of the hatred towards her. The reaction and fallout from the single and album should be interesting.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GaT said:

WTF is right, it sounds like she declared war on everybody.

I feel like most expected that or some variation of how everyone is against her because no one is as good as playing the victim as Taylor. And after all that stuff with Kim and Kanye and the public reaction and derision of her, yeah it was expected. 

You will never get self reflection from Taylor. It will always be about how she's been wronged. As for the song, honestly I don't get the WTF reaction, well other than WTF, it took three years to deliver that? Also it took five writers to come up with something that repetitive?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

Also, if this video preview is any indication, this could be the first time that the parents who find her a "safe" singer for their kids to listen to start to feel really uncomfortable. Is that a SEX SWING? WHAT?

Oh, and her hair looks like a rat's nest in part of the video, so there's that, too.

Taylor Swift aka Forever a Victim. Life was better when she had disappeared from the spotlight and away from any of the headlines news that came across my screen. And the song sucks. I've heard people say they feel disappointed that she's stooping this low because they expect more from her...but why would you expect more from her? This is her thing. She uses her music to villainize others so that she looks like the wronged party that's rising above when in reality, she's petty as fuck. She is a carefully crafted persona and she does her damndest to protect that image.

Love the Todd in the Shadows tweet, haha.

• Love 9

I am not a Taylor fan and I am not a big fan of pop music either, but I can usually see why others like her music. She makes catchy music. This song is awful. Of course it is more of the same with Taylor playing the victim, but so much of it just sounds like she is talking or chanting. It is extremely repetitive and not in a good way. An article I read said the song was about Kanye. Was it? All of you are so much better with Taylor lyrics/references than I am, and I could only stand to listen to the song once.