Type keyword(s) to search

The Taylor Swift Topic: Teen Country Sensation to World-Dominating Pop Star

UYI
  • Start Topic

The terms "girl squad" and "squad goals" make me want to rage vomit every time I hear them. If there is one thing about Taylor that bugs me (and as I've said before, she has things I like and don't like about her), that's definitely one of them, since she's been saying those phrases constantly this year. They need to die NOW. UGH.

*end rant*

You realize the kind of royalties that Taylor gets as someone who's written four number 1 singles? She is set for life.

Not to mention the number one songs she had on the country charts, too.

• Love 3

Taylor is such an eyesore with her jerky awkward movements she calls dancing which she subjects everyone to at awards shows. With all that money she can't invest in someone to teach her? She moves exactly like Celine Dion and even does the same moves as her.

I can't stand how everyone in the industry sucks up to her now because she has the most money AKA power and they all want a piece of her fandom/scared of backlash from said fandom.

Stupid Kanye for what he did for her career.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1

It is funny, because Bad Blood sounds like a Katy Perry song to me, Wildest Dreams like Lana, and then Out of the Woods sounds really Chvrches like to me. Say what you will about Taylor, but she really understands what is working in pop music lately.

You were not kidding about Wildest Dreams sounding like Lana Del Ray songs, were you? Wow. I kept waiting for "will you still love when I'm no longer young and beautiful..." to start wailing.

You gotta hand it to her, Taylor really knows what's working in pop right now. After her ride as Pop Princess is over, I can see her having a long and successful career as a music producer/songwriter.

Although I do think Bad Blood should have been released before Style. I think Style should have been released in July as a summer song- I bet it would have gone higher than number 6.

Edited by methodwriter85

T-Swizzle and her "squad" making "squad-goals" at the VMAs: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/taylor-swift-arrived-at-the-vmas-with-her-entire-flawless-sq#.mokMEe32L

And also...http://www.buzzfeed.com/vikky/avril-lavigne-joined-taylor-swift-on-stage-last-ni-y65c#.rwOr7ao9W

A cunning strategy for Taylor Swift but it definitely works. As much as I find it frustrating how she "neutralizes" her rivals/enemies/twitternemies this way, you gotta give her props, it works and makes Taylor look like the bigger person.

Taylor fights fire with a smothering blanket of love.

• Love 1

I do like Debbie Gibson, though, and acknowledge that she was talented enough to land on Broadway. And her song "Lost In Your Eyes" was number one the day I was born, too. :)

I do like Debbie Gibson, though, and acknowledge that she was talented enough to land on Broadway.

Jeezuz, don't even plant the seed of Taylor appearing on Broadway, although I'm surprised some producer hasn't stunt cast her yet.  Presumably they recognized the folly of having her sing live 8 shows a week.

These are quite funny...articles on the "dark side" of the T-swizzle squad in light of their appearance at the VMAs

"Merely wanting to be Swift’s friend isn’t enough. Celebrities who make the cut also need to possess enough social capital to offer her something in return — to add another dimension to bolster her clean-cut image. Baking cookies with Hailee Steinfeld makes Swift look innocent and down-to-earth; being named godmother to Jaime King’s newborn makes Swift more maternal; standing next to models such as Karlie Kloss and Martha Hunt reminds the world of how tall, svelte and blond Swift really is."

"The seeds of Swift backlash were planted way back in 2013, a simpler time when Cecil the Lion still roamed and Taylor Swift didn’t keep Gigi Hadid chained to a radiator in the basement of her Rhode Island estate."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/12/is-america-turning-on-taylor-swift.html- This Daily Beast article is a real hoot!

http://www.mamamia.com.au/entertainment/taylor-swift-girl-squad/

http://gawker.com/taylor-swift-is-not-your-friend-1717745581

"While a pop star like Taylor Swift may be gathering “musicians, actresses, models, entrepreneurs,” she said, “I’m not trying to be in the squad.” She continued, “None of my friends are famous and not because of any other reason than I just like real people who are living real lives, because I’m inspired by them.” - so sayeth Miley Cyrus (I'm not Miley fan but I gotta say I completely agree with what she just said) Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/arts/music/miley-cyrus-and-her-dead-petz.html?_r=2

Edited by lovemytvshows

These are quite funny...articles on the "dark side" of the T-swizzle squad in light of their appearance at the VMAs

"Merely wanting to be Swift’s friend isn’t enough. Celebrities who make the cut also need to possess enough social capital to offer her something in return — to add another dimension to bolster her clean-cut image. Baking cookies with Hailee Steinfeld makes Swift look innocent and down-to-earth; being named godmother to Jaime King’s newborn makes Swift more maternal; standing next to models such as Karlie Kloss and Martha Hunt reminds the world of how tall, svelte and blond Swift really is."

"The seeds of Swift backlash were planted way back in 2013, a simpler time when Cecil the Lion still roamed and Taylor Swift didn’t keep Gigi Hadid chained to a radiator in the basement of her Rhode Island estate."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/12/is-america-turning-on-taylor-swift.html- This Daily Beast article is a real hoot!

http://www.mamamia.com.au/entertainment/taylor-swift-girl-squad/

http://gawker.com/taylor-swift-is-not-your-friend-1717745581

"While a pop star like Taylor Swift may be gathering “musicians, actresses, models, entrepreneurs,” she said, “I’m not trying to be in the squad.” She continued, “None of my friends are famous and not because of any other reason than I just like real people who are living real lives, because I’m inspired by them.” - so sayeth Miley Cyrus (I'm not Miley fan but I gotta say I completely agree with what she just said) Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/arts/music/miley-cyrus-and-her-dead-petz.html?_r=2

None of Miley's friends are famous? Oh PLEASE!!!!

She was engaged to 1 of the Australian Hemsworth brothers, who are famous for acting; she previously dated Patrick Schwarzenegger, eldest son of actor/former California Governor ("Governator") Arnold Schwarzenegger & his ex-wife, journalist Maria Shriver (which also makes Patrick part of the political Kennedy clan); she's also currently, at least periodically, dating Victoria's Secret Angel model Stella Maxwell. I presume those 3 are/were also friends. And her Godmother (who I presume is also a friend) is singer/actress Dolly Parton. And I can't stand Miley just as much as I can't stand Taylor. Just saying.

• Love 1

I just feel like they're reaching on that. If there was ever a video that had an excuse for having no black people, it would be a movie that was mimicking a 1950's epic romance drama/Hollywood romance.

If they HAD added a black person in an appropriate period context- either a maid or some guy dressed up as a tribal character or just someone subservient to whites in some way, THAT would have been bitched about, too.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

No, I agree, I jumped the gun on that. Mea culpa. I certainly didn't think of that stuff when I first saw the video, I guess I was just trying to see where they could be coming from. Or admittedly, letting my partial tiredness of her right now get in the way of sound judgement, LOL. And being jealous of her looks, I need to check myself on that too (I'm her age, so it's inevitable for me, unfortunately. :P)

I think the Nicki Minaj thing being so soon before it probably didn't help, though. And the director of the video saying that it wasn't racist because of their "super hot" black female producer was tone-deaf to the extreme.

I'm wondering if anyone is starting to get a bit tired of her, though. I mean, I know some are, I've seen them, but I'm curious as to how many people are  actually at that point, and how it will affect the sales of her next album. I know she's only gotten bigger and bigger over the years, but the 1989 phenomenon has been so big that it almost HAS to make whatever comes next seem smaller by comparison. 

JMO, of course.

Edited by UYI

I would be shocked if Taylor Swift WASN'T trying to dethrone Katy Perry as the current pop princess.

I really don't know if "Wildest Dreams" is going to hit number 1 and give her that 4th number 1 single from the same album, though. I like it, but the controversy plus the fact that it's not hitting the view counts as hard as her other videos (it's at 45 million views right now which isn't shabby but not the kind of stuff that Blank Space was getting a week out), so I'm thinking it won't hit 1...maybe 8 or 9.

Edited by methodwriter85

Do not ask me how, but Taylor freaking Swift is now an Emmy-winner. And she's now halfway to an "EGOT" (the acronym for the 4 major entertainment industry awards--the ones which, if all 4 are won by an entertainer, would constitute the entertainment industry awards' "Grand Slam" & be a big deal). An "EGOT" would mean the entertainer has won an Emmy, a Grammy (both of which TS now has at least 1 of), an Oscar (Academy Award), & a Tony Award. Only a relatively small handful of entertainers (& I think I've also heard the writers of the song from Disney's Frozen, though not necessarily just with that song) have achieved this feat.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/taylor-swift-wins-emmy-interactive-821735

Edited by BW Manilowe

The only scenario I can imagine Taylor Swift getting a Tony or Oscar (especially a Tony) is as a songwriter/composer. I mean acting? Forget about it. Singing? Nah. Both at the same time (probably in the case of a Tony)? Absolutely not. She's more likely to get an Oscar, if that makes sense. Writing separate 4 minute tracks on an album is not the same as writing a coherent storyline complete with character development with music. I mean Cyndi Lauper managed it, but that's Cyndi Lauper.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

Well as much as she seems to be winning all over the place, so far the Oscars don't seem too impressed. Many thought she was a lock to be nominated for Safe & Sound that she wrote with The Civil Wars for the first Hunger Games film and instead she wasn't even nominated. I mean not that it mattered much since Adele had that category on lock that year. 

The only scenario I can imagine Taylor Swift getting a Tony or Oscar (especially a Tony) is as a songwriter/composer. I mean acting? Forget about it. Singing? Nah. Both at the same time (probably in the case of a Tony)? Absolutely not. She's more likely to get an Oscar, if that makes sense. Writing separate 4 minute tracks on an album is not the same as writing a coherent storyline complete with character development with music. I mean Cyndi Lauper managed it, but that's Cyndi Lauper.

Taylor strikes me as incredibly ambitious, but also someone who thrives on being underestimated. Now that she's halfway to the EGOT, she's probably eyeing movies with female appeal that could be turned into musicals (if she wasn't already). I see that a Notebook musical was announced years ago, but it seems not to be going anywhere. If any sort of Broadway musical would it be in Taylor Swift's songwriting wheelhouse, it would be one based on a Nicholas Sparks novel/movie.

Taylor strikes me as incredibly ambitious, but also someone who thrives on being underestimated. Now that she's halfway to the EGOT, she's probably eyeing movies with female appeal that could be turned into musicals (if she wasn't already). I see that a Notebook musical was announced years ago, but it seems not to be going anywhere. If any sort of Broadway musical would it be in Taylor Swift's songwriting wheelhouse, it would be one based on a Nicholas Sparks novel/movie.

As I said elsewhere (in another thread/forum), Taylor wouldn't necessarily have to write music for, or star in, a legitimate Broadway Musical or Straight Play to nab a Tony (Heck, she won her Emmy for making an app, not doing a TV show, right?).

All she'd have to do is book a couple weeks or so of concerts in a legit Broadway theatre &, voila, she's awarded a "Special" Tony Award. Among others, Barry Manilow, Bette Midler, & Lily Tomlin have been awarded Tonys in this manner "for special contributions to Broadway". And even though they're "Special" (ie "non-competitive/non-acting") Tonys, I believe they still count towards EGOTs. At least in most people's estimation.

Yeah, and IMO that song and "Style" are the best singles from that album, and yet they're both the ones to chart the lowest. What do I know? ;)

And I don't really see her releasing another single from 1989 either, especially with her tour ending in December. If she did, though, her best bets, IMO, would be either "Clean" or "New Romantics" from the deluxe version.

I do wonder if she'll release another album next year, or take some time off. But if she DOES release another album next year, topping 1989--sales wise, anyway-- seems next to impossible.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I like some of the covers, especially Style, I just wish I could figure out what the hell he is saying for the lyrics he changed.  There are some parts of the chorus of Style that are indecipherable.  

Me too! I found the lyrics here. The part that I really wanted to know was the chorus:

You've got that Daydream Nation look in your eye

I got that pent up love thing that you like

And we go crashing down, we come back every time

We never go out of style, we never go out of style

You've got that long brown hair thing that I like

You've got that good girl faith and ass so tight

I am really loving the whole album.

Edited by MargeGunderson

Yeah, and IMO that song and "Style" are the best singles from that album, and yet they're both the ones to chart the lowest. What do I know? ;)

And I don't really see her releasing another single from 1989 either, especially with her tour ending in December. If she did, though, her best bets, IMO, would be either "Clean" or "New Romantics" from the deluxe version.

I do wonder if she'll release another album next year, or take some time off. But if she DOES release another album next year, topping 1989--sales wise, anyway-- seems next to impossible.

Taylor Swift follows a very specific album release schedule, so she won'e release anything until October of 2016, I'm sure. Her schedule is basically: release an album in October of year 1, so that it's too late to count for Grammys, go om tour at the beginning of the year and then get nominated for a bunch of Grammys in year 2 , take a break to do an album and then start it all over the next year so that's she's never really out of the public eye. It's actually kind of brilliant. 

Also, I'm so mad "New Romatics" is a deluxe track, because that means it won't get released as a single. It's so damn good.

Edited by Michele
  • Love 1

Taylor Swift follows a very specific album release schedule, so she won'e release anything until October of 2016, I'm sure. Her schedule is basically: release an album in October of year 1, so that it's too late to count for Grammys, go om tour at the beginning of the year and then get nominated for a bunch of Grammys in year 2 , take a break to do an album and then start it all over the next year so that's she's never really out of the public eye. It's actually kind of brilliant. 

Also, I'm so mad "New Romatics" is a deluxe track, because that means it won't get released as a single. It's so damn good.

Oh yeah, I know about her schedule, I'm just wondering if she'll want to release her next album next year, just because by the time her next album comes next year, should she release one, it will be a decade since she's been in the business, so since she was 16! All of that without a single break.

I agree about New Romantics, that song is amazing. That said, "Ours" was on the deluxe version of Speak Now and it was a single.

Edited by UYI

Oh yeah, I know about her schedule, I'm just wondering if she'll want to release her next album next year, just because by the time her next album comes next year, should she release one, it will be a decade since she's been in the business, so since she was 16! All of that without a single break.

I mean, I think she gets enough time off in between albums, because she literally just kind of goes into her hole when working on albums, so I'm pretty sure she'll be hiding away more once the Grammys are done with.

I agree about New Romantics, that song is amazing. That said, "Ours" was on the deluxe version of Speak Now and it was a single.

Oh, was it? I've only become a bigger Taylor fan since "Red" (I mean, I like her older stuff but it didn't click with me until Red) so I didn't even realize this was a thing. This gives me hope! I know she does it live so that does lend itself to the possibility.

Me too! I found the lyrics here. The part that I really wanted to know was the chorus:

You've got that Daydream Nation look in your eye

I got that pent up love thing that you like

You've got that long brown hair thing that I like

You've got that good girl faith and ass so tight

I am really loving the whole album.

I...might have liked it better before I knew what the lyrics were.

• Love 3
(edited)

Taylor Swift says what learned from the Nicki Minaj mess on Twitter in July: "I send text messages now.":

http://mic.com/articles/126465/taylor-swift-talks-nicki-minaj-vma-controversy-i-send-text-messages-now?utm_content=buffer070b4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but if I needed any more proof that she doesn't have any interest in real feminist issues outside of showing off how many female friends she has and/or deflecting criticism of her work or image, she seems to have just gone a hell of a long way in proving it, which this article seems to agree with me on. REALLY? That's it? You learned NOTHING about the importance of intersectional feminism? So you'll just insert yourself into conversations you completely miss the point about via text instead? Sigh.

I know one might argue that, as a pop star, she doesn't have a requirement to lecture people on serious issues, and that's a fair point. But with her influence and power in pop culture right now, especially among young girls? I think it would be AWESOME for her to educate herself on this and use her celebrity as a way to raise awareness on certain women's issues and put a face to causes feminists believe in, such as equal pay or encouraging women to ascend the ranks in business, as she so clearly has. But no, she's just going to waste that opportunity so she doesn't look bad on Twitter. Ugh.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

Taylor Swift says what learned from the Nicki Minaj mess on Twitter in July: "I send text messages now.":

http://mic.com/articles/126465/taylor-swift-talks-nicki-minaj-vma-controversy-i-send-text-messages-now?utm_content=buffer070b4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but if I needed any more proof that she doesn't have any interest in real feminist issues outside of showing off how many female friends she has and/or deflecting criticism of her work or image, she seems to have just gone a hell of a long way in proving it, which this article seems to agree with me on. REALLY? That's it? You learned NOTHING about the importance of intersectional feminism? So you'll just insert yourself into conversations you completely miss the point about via text instead? Sigh.

I know one might argue that, as a pop star, she doesn't have a requirement to lecture people on serious issues, and that's a fair point. But with her influence and power in pop culture right now, especially among young girls? I think it would be AWESOME for her to educate herself on this and use her celebrity as a way to raise awareness on certain women's issues and put a face to causes feminists believe in, such as equal pay or encouraging women to ascend the ranks in business, as she so clearly has. But no, she's just going to waste that opportunity so she doesn't look bad on Twitter. Ugh.

I don't think Taylor Swift cares 1 whit about pay except when she's involved/a potential recipient.

Like when a music service is offering her music for free, during what's meant to be a *short-term* trial period (like the cable movie channels' Free Movie Weekends), & she feels she's getting screwed over because she's not being paid her royalties & other fees for that trial period. Like it's gonna kill her or she'll end up homeless by not getting paid her due for her songs for a few days--a week or less! Greedy Beyotch, much?

• Love 1
(edited)

I really wish she would own her position as a powerful businesswoman, because that is honestly the most fascinating side of her image, and yet it's the side we hear the least about. There was a GREAT blog post a few months ago where the author compared Taylor's approach to feminism in the media vs. Katy Perry's approach (I know, I know, "Bad Blood" and all that...stay with me here!), and she brought up some GREAT points which have only recently started to be addressed, and even now there hasn't been much:

http://oneofthosefaces.com/2015/07/14/katy-perry-taylor-swift-feminism-and-the-art-of-show-tell/

Weirdly enough, this was right before the stuff with Nicki Minaj on Twitter.

Edited by UYI

I really dislike Katy Perry as an artist and am not a fan of her image, but that article raises a good point about her selecting female artists to tour with her.

I still think it was immature for her to stoop to Taylor's level by vague tweeting about her. Super passive aggressive.

Taylor Swift Cried, Ate a Lot of In-N-Out Burger When Red Lost the Album of the Year Grammy

http://m.eonline.com/news/705027/taylor-swift-cried-and-ate-a-lot-of-in-n-out-burger-when-red-didn-t-win-a-grammy-for-album-of-the-year

I'm sorry but, again, this is another example--to me--of what an entitled little beyotch Taylor Swift is... Thinking she's supposed to automatically win any damn award she's up for, just because she's nominated for it, then plastering on fake reactions of surprise (if she wins) or disappointment/happiness for any other winner (if she doesn't)--not to mention thinking she should be paid when her music is part of a service's FREE Trial Period.

You can't win 'em ALL/have it your way ALL the time, baby, & the sooner you get that through your entitled brain, the happier you'll probably be. I hope.

Also...

She CLAIMS she's taking a break after everything involving 1989 is done, because she thinks we need a break from her. GEE... YOU THINK?!

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20958148,00.html

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 3
(edited)

The picture on that NME cover makes me think her stylists hate her. That eye makeup makes her look like either she's coming off a three-day drug binge or a badly done-up corpse.

And this will never get old, ever.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

She CLAIMS she's taking a break after everything involving 1989 is done, because she thinks we need a break from her. GEE... YOU THINK?!

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20958148,00.html

I could have sworn Beyonce said the same thing back in the 2000's, but there really wasn't any kind of honest-to-goodness break until somewhere at the start of this decade and Single Ladies era had died down, and We Run The World was more of a mild hit.

Wildest Dreams is now in the Top 10. I'm guessing Taylor's still pissed it's not going to hit 1, but at least she can claim 5 Top Ten singles from the same album.

Edited by methodwriter85

I could have sworn Beyonce said the same thing back in the 2000's, but there really wasn't any kind of honest-to-goodness break until somewhere at the start of this decade and Single Ladies era had died down, and We Run The World was more of a mild hit.

Wildest Dreams is now in the Top 10. I'm guessing Taylor's still pissed it's not going to hit 1, but at least she can claim 5 Top Ten singles from the same album.

If her single's (or CD's) not gonna hit #1, of course she's gonna be pissed. I mean, entitled beyotch is entitled! You know?

It's Radar, so take it with a grain of salt, but it appears that Pop Music's Reigning Blonde Giraffes are no more:

http://radaronline.com/photos/taylor-swift-calvin-harris-break-up-thai-massage-parlor-photos/photo/1209848/

Sadly, I think a big grain of salt may be needed for this. I read on my Twitter they broke up; then I read--possibly coming from 1 or both of their "people", I forget--no, they're still together (darn it).