Type keyword(s) to search

The Taylor Swift Topic: Teen Country Sensation to World-Dominating Pop Star

UYI
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I will say that one reason for her lack of visibility is that she's decided not to do any major press/media for the album. I think she thinks it adds to the mystique and interest of the whole thing (though not really for me). When LLWYMD was first teased on her social media and then she released the album cover and title, I believe she had some caption about how there would be no more explanations or something to that effect. Essentially, the point I guess is that the album will do all the talking for her. Great...except so far everything she's released has sucked, IMO. 

She stopped being on social media when the whole Kanye phone conversation thing happened. She lost a lot of credibility from that, so she went into social media hiding.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I mean... the album doesn't come out until November 10. 

If this is in response to her lack of visibility right now, most artists don't wait until their album is released to begin doing press and promotion. Taylor herself didn't with 1989. She was all over the place after Shake It Off, the first single was released, which was at least a month or so before the album was released. P!nk, whose album just came out this week, has been on a month long promo for the album heading into the album release. So it is different that publicity wise, Taylor has been so invisible. But like I said, based on her caption when the first single was released, I got the impression she is choosing this album release to do minimal press and promotion and I guess let her name and the songs sell the album.

She stopped being on social media when the whole Kanye phone conversation thing happened. She lost a lot of credibility from that, so she went into social media hiding.

I am aware but I was commenting on CaughtOnTape's comment regarding Taylor's current visibility in light of her new music and upcoming album release. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

@truthaboutluv I was thinking less about Taylor's visibility as much as how much of her music is out there. There are two singles right now, unless I missed one. I'm sure once the whole album is out there'll be more press and thinkpieces and the accompanying hoopla. I remember LWYMMD was a big thing for a week or two. 

That right there proves that she's not as visible as she once was.  I had no idea that the album wasn't out yet.  Previous releases I knew weeks ahead of time and I'm not a person who was looking for this information, it was thrust upon me without my consent.  LOL

• Love 1

She HAS been less visible since the Snapchat stuff with Kanye and Kim blew up in her face last July, but she also ALWAYS has people talking in gossip rags about how "private" she is now, so even though she is relatively low profile now and I like that, there's still an element of "telling, not showing" to the whole thing, if that makes any sense. I get the feeling if she felt that people wanted her in their faces more often now, she would be so fast our heads would spin (and she DEFINITELY would be milking the whole "girl next door" thing if she still could, but Kanye and Kim stepped up to the plate and said "nah" on that one). 

19 hours ago, aradia22 said:

@truthaboutluv I was thinking less about Taylor's visibility as much as how much of her music is out there. There are two singles right now, unless I missed one. I'm sure once the whole album is out there'll be more press and thinkpieces and the accompanying hoopla. I remember LWYMMD was a big thing for a week or two. 

The new song "Gorgeous" is out there too, but it's a promotional single, not an actual single like LWYMMD is, and like Ready for It is apparently being upgraded to (it started as a promotional single, but it has been upgraded to be the official second single). 

Finally listened to "Gorgeous".  It's...a song.  It's not offensive in any way, but it's not interesting, either.  I like how she rhymes "face" with "face".

I get a kick out of TAYLOR SWIFT being written in that dark, "Terminator" type font in the naked cyborg clip.  I still refuse to believe this album is real, and not a prank, lol.

Edited by Sweet Summer Child

OK... I don't know if I have the language to talk about this. But on a spectrum that includes Iggy Azalea, Ellie Goulding, Tove Lo, Adele, Justin Timberlake, Ivy Levan, Amy Winehouse, Paloma Faith all the white jazz singers, anyone who sings anything close to blue-eyed soul, I'm confused as to where Taylor Swift is falling at the moment. 

I don't think she's in the Idina Menzel/Sara Bareilles/Lady Gaga safe zone where you take techniques like riffing or you adopt a vocal quality of a genre but you still sound like yourself. I think maybe she's just over the Ellie Goulding line of adopting a weird cadence but not quite in the Iggy Azalea camp of actually trying to "sound black." But like... please stop trying to rap (?) Taylor. 

"younger than my exes but he act like such a man though" is interesting. Will wait to hear that unpacked.

A lot of the other lines about ghosts and forever and vendettas were dumb.

So naked Taylor is not an alien. She's some kind of android/robot. But maybe also some kind of weird monster that mimics your appearance? Made of snakes? But no... then it was like a power rangers/Tron kind of robot with a suit?

So then this Taylor in the robot suit goes back to being android Taylor on a white horse. "White Horse" is one of her old songs.

Then lightning... which is maybe a reference to one of the 1989 videos? Or maybe that song she wrote for Calvin Harris/Rihanna?

Then android Taylor screams and it blows away hooded Taylor's skin to reveal that she is also a robot!

Graffiti says "they're burning all the witches"

Ending???

----

tl;dr I think this is very much a music video and nothing about this tells me she's trying to be an actress. It's all about the visuals. Whew. 

Like Gaga, I think a large part of why this works is the people on her team, and not what she's contributing herself to the video or concept. 

There are one or two good nuggets in the song and I want to read what people have to say about some moments in the video but overall, the lyrics are not great and the video just seems like cool visuals not related to the song. 

I THINK that might have been a roundabout way of saying that Joe Alwyn's younger than her MOST RECENT exes, Calvin Harris and Tom Hiddleston, but yeah, I thought about that, too.

I think the promo approach is interesting this time around. She's built her brand so strongly on being relatable and making her fans feel like she shares her diary entries with them. How do you totally switch gears to "mystique" all of a sudden? While I agree that the songs so far aren't very convincing, how the image part will shake out is just as curious. I'm not sure how it will pan out for her. Going colder might work for an artist like Madonna, who never pretended to be anyone's best friend. But so far , Taylor sold herself very differently.

• Love 2

Yes, me too.

I can't defend "My baby's fly like a jet stream", or the lines about liars at the beginning, but this is absolutely the best song she's released from Reputation so far. 

The song itself is okay, just like Gorgeous, but again, these lyrics...has she lost the ability to write above middle school level since she got with her current beau? Cause Red & 1989 >>> any of this.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, UYI said:

About that whole "Taylor Swift refuses to denounce white supremacists" thing...it looks like it's come back to haunt her. And her album is out THIS Friday. Talk about HORRIBLE timing.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/taylor-swift-dragged-by-the-aclu-for-trying-to-silence-a-journalist_us_5a00babde4b0baea26340533

The irony is it's not so much her not denouncing white supremacists that's coming back to haunt her, it's her pettiness and immature behavior. I have made my thoughts and opinions about Taylor's rather conspicuous silence at a hate group holding her up as some type of symbol, very clear. That said, even I thought this person's article was reaching with some of the stuff they were suggesting were hidden Nazi messages in her song. However, the person had like maybe 100 followers - who cares. I doubt anyone really gave this person and their article much thought. 

However, her siccing her lawyers on this blogger essentially made the whole thing into a story when said person went public with the legal threat. And now the ACLU of all organizations is weighing in. But worse than that, the story has opened up a Pandora's box where a number of entertainment writers are now coming forward sharing all the times she's had her pitbull lawyers threaten them for the most benign article comments. And yes, once again, it will continue to not be lost that she'll go after people for things like this but not take a stand and demand a hate group stop using her music and image. 

Taylor is a talented woman (yes I still maintain that even if I have hated every single thing she's released from this new album and don't have much hope for liking the album) but she has to get over this entitled/victim complex of hers, that makes her exist in a world where she is never wrong and it's everyone else that is the mean and awful person out to get her. I imagine that is easier said than done, especially since she has the one thing that makes it very hard to have that sort of self-awareness, i.e. money and fame. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 11
(edited)
6 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

The irony is it's not so much her not denouncing white supremacists that's coming back to haunt her, it's her pettiness and immature behavior. I have made my thoughts and opinions about Taylor's rather conspicuous silence at a hate group holding her up as some type of symbol, very clear. That said, even I thought this person's article was reaching with some of the stuff they were suggesting were hidden Nazi messages in her song. However, the person had like maybe 100 followers - who cares. I doubt anyone really gave this person and their article much thought. 

However, her siccing her lawyers on this person essentially made the thing into a story when said person went public with the legal threat. And now the ACLU of all organizations is weighing in. But worse than that, the story has opened up a Pandora's box where a number of entertainment writers are now coming forward sharing all the time she's had her pitbull lawyers threaten them for the most benign article comments. And yes, once again, it will continue to not be lost that she'll go after people for things like this but not take a stand and demand a hate group stop using her music and image. 

Taylor is a talented woman (yes I still maintain that even if I have hated every single thing she's released from this new album and don't have much hope for liking the album) but she has to get over this entitled/victim complex of hers where she exists in a world where she is never wrong and it's everyone else that is the mean and awful person out to get her. I imagine that is easier said than done, especially since she has the one thing that makes it very hard to have that sort of self-aware perspective, i.e. money and fame. 

All of this, including and especially the final paragraph. I confess to having all of her albums, and I'm still getting the new one (although I actually like one or two of the songs she's released from this new album so far), but there are reasons people have issues with her, even if they like some/a lot of her music/acknowledge her talent, and this is a prime example.

And seeing her fans on Twitter call out the ACLU--the ACLU didn't just stick their nose in this willy nilly, the blogger contacted THEM to find out what her legal standing was on this. The ACLU knows what it's doing. Quoting her music lyrics in their letter was obnoxious, but they're certainly not the first (nor the last, most likely) people to do that. 

Edited by UYI

I mean, this isn't new for musicians. The white supremacist movement has tried to co-opt plenty of artists. Johnny Cash's children denounced them. Depeche Mode were called  the "official band of the alt-right" by one of them, which everyone thought was ridiculous. Then Depeche Mode promptly denounced the white supremacist movement, Dave Gahan also made some good points on Richard Spencer and his contrived efforts to intellectualize hatred in interviews. That was that, it was no big deal. The musicians distanced themselves, and it only made the neo nazis making these claims look as ridiculous as they are. It didn't reflect badly on the artists, the media also didn't blame them for these unwanted "admirers" and always pointed out that they have rejected these connections.

Now, perhaps a band like Depeche Mode doesn't feel the need to pander to the kind of fanbase that is attracted to Taylor Swift. But saying "I'm against nazis" isn't so very controversial. Even the conservative part of her fanbase can't take offense to that, surely? So yeah...the longer it goes on and she keeps silent, the more questionable she will look IMO.

As for that latest kerfuffle: Agree, if she'd have just ignored it, no one would have noticed, no one would have cared. Now it's blown up into this big thing because she set her lawyers on it.

• Love 4

I don’t know why, but to me, all of Taylor’s pre-release singles would sound better if someone else did them.

i already said “Abusive Husband Logic” would sound great as a Britney Spears comeback single.

”Ready For It” sounds like a cool little comeback ditty for Jessica Simpson. 

“Gorgeous” sounds like a nice song for Halsey who seems to be living the life of a pop star without the accolades or...talent. 

And “Call It What You Want” sounds like it could be a diminishing returns single for Rihanna.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

The album is getting good reviews. I roll my eyes at her only letting Spotify have the 4 already released songs. 

The full album will be on Spotify this Friday, I think. 

So, I do have this album, and...yeah, she doesn't go whole hog when it comes to burning the media about their treatment of her. I mean, there's SOME of that, but a lot of it is focused on her relationship with Joe Alwyn. As for how I like it? Well, music wise, while a lot of it is catchy and there are songs I'll listen to quite a bit, there is still a distinct feeling, at least to me, that she is continuing to shed whatever made her stood out, in favor of trying to sound like everyone else. It's not a complete process, but it's still there, and it's especially evident in the quality of the lyrics. Not that she was always the best songwriter, but she used to be a LOT better. And while I know she's nearly 28 years old, I think she sometimes overdoses on the alcohol and sex references a bit TOO much.

And apparently, she's planning on putting the final song of the album, "New Year's Day" (which is the most traditional sounding song on the album in terms of instrumentation) on country radio. There were rumors that she would be recording some country songs on this album, and...no, no, that did not happen at all. This would be the closest to it, but it's still a HUGE reach to call this country. It DOES make me wonder, though, if she put this song as the final song on the album as a deliberate signal that she may very well go back to country for her next album. I certainly wouldn't put it past her, even though she was never all that country in the first place, and her finally crossing fully over into pop was commended by many traditional country fans as her finally being honest about her music.

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/well-here-we-go-taylor-swifts-new-years-day-is-coming-to-country-radio/

Edited by UYI

Album is still not on Spotify. I'm torn. I don't mind spending $10 give or take to support Taylor. Even if I'm not crazy about all the music right now I'm sure it will grow on me. But I basically listen to music exclusively on Spotify right now so it doesn't make sense to buy an album unless I can listen to it as part of my Spotify playlists. We'll see if it gets released by next year. If not I might cave and download it so I can at least listen on a desktop through Spotify's "local files."

5 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

Was Reputation eligible for the Grammys this year? Or was it too late?

The single "Look What You Made Me Do" was released in time to be eligible, but the album wasn't.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:17 AM, aradia22 said:

Album is still not on Spotify. I'm torn. I don't mind spending $10 give or take to support Taylor. Even if I'm not crazy about all the music right now I'm sure it will grow on me. But I basically listen to music exclusively on Spotify right now so it doesn't make sense to buy an album unless I can listen to it as part of my Spotify playlists. We'll see if it gets released by next year. If not I might cave and download it so I can at least listen on a desktop through Spotify's "local files."

Her album is now on Spotify, if you are still waiting for streaming.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I've listened to the whole album and the only songs I can say I truly loved were Getaway Car and New Year's Day. There are a number of okay to decent songs but they are mostly forgettable. 

They do mostly blend together after a while.  I enjoyed 1989 better, I think that was the sweet spot, reputation is a little too much in the wrong direction. 

• Love 1

I have to confess that "I Did Something Bad" is a song I actually really like, in terms of the music itself, but DAMN is she skipping over some of the reasons why people were mad with her about certain things. Selective memory, much?

I like "Delicate", too, even though the way she uses the word "chill" (on this song and others) bugs the living hell out of me. 

Thanks, just gave it a listen-through.

...Ready for It? It's already grown on me. Nice strong beat and when you're listening more casually, the dumber lyrics don't stand out so much. Except for the accented ones like the island breeze bit. You don't stick a weak lyric in a spot where people are going to notice it. I haven't listened it since the last time I posted and now that I'm hearing it again, it seems less like a weird new thing and more like something off of 1989. 

End Game Meh. Weak lyrics again. Also, for all the talk (especially in "Mean") about her singing ability, I don't know why she keeps writing so many talk-singing songs. Part of it sounds like a Taylor song and part of it sounds like her trying to sound like someone else. I'm not sure what I want from this song. It needs to be more of something. Either lighter and dreamier or harder and more intense (like a better mimicry). Some vaguely interesting lyrics but nothing is developed. 

I Did Something Bad I feel like this tries to reclaim the narrative more than "Look What You Made Me Do." Kind of like Blank Space but with a more Evil than Crazy Taylor. If you ignore how this doesn't make sense (if she's talking about the Kimye situation) then it's not awful. But with these songs, you need a Beyonce (Ring the Alarm) or Carrie Underwood (Before He Cheats). You need a big voice, not just dropping the beat and some clashing sounds. The song has to sound intense. This has that same thin production and the vocals aren't right for the sentiment. 

Don't Blame Me I lost track of this one lyrically. I don't know. It sounds like boring Selena Gomez or Qveen Herby but with a strong beat. I need more focus to figure out what it's actually saying. It's all style over substance. Or at least the substance is obscured. My brain can't hone in on the words. Sounds fine though.

Delicate Cute. It's not like the lyrics are brilliant but they flow much better. I didn't have to struggle to follow it. Sounds like a sleepy and tired for a love song but whatever. (Going to be so happy when pop music stops sounding so depressing.) One of my favorite tracks so far. I feel like someone's going to do a good cover of this one. 

Look What You Made Me Do Based on what I've heard so far, this makes sense as the single to release first. And I think releasing it early has given it time to grow on me. Plus, that video was fire when I first watched it. 

So It Goes... Meh. A seduction song is one thing. Like Selena Gomez or Tinashe. But love songs should have more energy. You should sound more excited about this dude. The sound of the song should reflect something about the content.

Gorgeous The song is a little more upbeat but her vocals aren't emotive enough. I don't hate the song itself though. I feel like someone could do a good cover of this one too. Heck, even Old Taylor. In her early albums she able to convey the excitement of being in love.

Getaway Car Fine. I feel nothing. This is why I gravitate towards Broadway, soul, R&B.... I like genres where if the song is emotional, then it sounds emotional.

King of My Heart What the hell? I'm weirded out by the abrupt shifts that seem to happen in most of these songs. And again, when the song does shift into a love song, it sounds the same as when she was depressed and had given up on love at the beginning. THAT IS A PROBLEM. 

Dancing With Our Hands Tied Still not that emotive but at least it's upbeat. That helps a bit. Don't love the song just as a song though. I'm fine listening to it on the album but I don't think I'd ever want to put it on. 

Dress Meh. She doesn't have Ariana's sexiness or Tove Lo's bad girl vibes. That doesn't mean she can't do those things but she needs to find a way to make it work for her and she hasn't discovered that sound yet. Instead she's going for this bland, cold sound that does nothing.

This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things Still sounds too much like Bleachers to me but better. It almost has some energy and the lyrics aren't too bad.

Call It What You Want Don't hate it. Like Ready For It, it has some dumb lyrics but I can mostly ignore them. And this feels like Real Taylor. It's a better love song than some of the other attempts at straight up love songs and the smugness and superiority of the song makes that flatter style feel less low-energy and more chill.

New Year's Day Meh. I've listened to my share of sleepy, sing-songwriter BS but wow. You say this is the one she's pushing? Why?

Taylor REALLY needs to take a break from Jack Antonoff for a while. Maybe Max Martin too but I hear a lot more Jack than Max in the parts of this album that don't work for me. 

As proof that I am not looking for high art... a sampling of pop songs that are sufficiently emotive. I'm not complaining that she's not Lena Horne or Barbra Streisand but some feeling would be nice. 

Ariana Grande Daydreamin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhHrTQ2QEXs

Pussycat Dolls In Person https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q1vTMzvMV8

Little Mix Secret Love Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgy7vEje5-w

Cher Lloyd Bind Your Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT2Eh8BbeS4

Karmin Try Me On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27IjFmKL-6Y

Mary Lambert Know Your Name https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsc01-0V_QU

Almost anything by Bruno Mars

If you don't know this is especially delicious because Cynthia has had her own oblivious twitter drama (on a much smaller scale). But also Shoshana and Cynthia are wildly talented. Thing I love about this cover is it takes the weakness of the original and instead turns that into controlled power until the end. And that isn't even close to how good these two could sound if they really cut loose.

I don't know why she's all of a sudden pushing "New Year's Day" to country radio, after making it so clear that she was done with country after 1989. There's suspicion that this is more Big Machine or Scott Borchetta's doing than Taylor's, though; he apparently tried VERY hard to get at least one country single out of 1989, and she had to put her foot down and say no to that.

And the song itself isn't even country sounding enough to justify it; sure, it has a real instrument in a piano, while the rest of reputation is either EDM or synth pop, but that doesn't automatically make it country. But it's apparently already on Billboard's Country Airplay chart, so there you go.

I'm curious what her next pop single from reputation will be; the only official singles so far have been LWYMMD and RFI; Gorgeous and Call It What You Want were technically just promotional singles in the lead up to the album release (RFI started that way, too, but was upgraded to be the second official single later on). 

I imagine NYD is a possible exit strategy if reputation doesn't perform as well as expected. It's already done worse than it should have following a smash album like 1989, but her sales have developed so far over the years that a low-performing album for her is still much higher than for most albums. Her choice to keep her music off Spotify a few years back was a mistake considering how much influence it has now.

I hope she ends up getting pushed out of pop at this point. Go back to country which I've since stopped listening to anyway, so I don't have to hear her anymore. I've followed her since her first album which was out when I was in my last year of high school I believe, but reputation is the first I will not be buying. I could take her not being able to sing, or trying to ruin Katy Perry to benefit herself, or being a fake backstabber re:Kanye (who I can't stand anyway), or writing bullshit in her songs about ex-boyfriends, but her no comment when asked about white supremacists reappropriating her lyrics and then suing a journalist for writing about the issue soured me on her for good. I don't expect her to talk about politics at all--but that wasn't "politics" to me anyway. She'll be successful without my money, but I'm over her.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 4

Caught her on some kind of Christmas concert on TV. Have now learned that belting "In the middle of the night, in my dreams
You should see the things we do, baby" at an audience comes across as really awkward. That's the kind of line Ariana Grande is supposed to coo. Singing it the way Taylor does it comes across as way more stalkery than "You Belong With Me" which at least had the benefits of youth and sweetness and romance. 

Yeah the notable part of that article is less about Swift and more about ticket pricing.

Reputation was the biggest-selling album of 2017 and the tour is shaping up to be far from ill-attended, so the Post’s headline, “Taylor Swift’s Reputation tour shaping up to be a disaster,” is a little much. It does, however, highlight the problems with unpredictable pricing, scalpers, and Ticketmaster in general.

So the press has been talking about David Mueller, the guy who allegedly groped Taylor back in 2013, because he’s gotten a new job on the radio. I guess the moment someone is accused of any form of sexual misconduct, they’re supposed to explode in pool of blood or something, but yes, the man managed to get another job. And his boss has publicly defended him saying he’s either the best liar in the world or he’s telling the truth.

I’ll say this, and this isn’t a commentary on #MeToo or victims in general, but this is just my two cents on this story: I don’t think he groped Taylor, either. At least, not in a pervy kind of way.

I think what probably happened was he went in to put his arm around her waist for a photo and may have accidentally lifted the back of her dress. His hand looks lower on her back near her behind, but that might have been coincidental. Taylor was embarrassed and told her mom he groped her, and her mom told security to have him escorted out, then they sounded off to his boss at the radio station. Radio station would rather protect their relationship with Taylor, and plus they don’t want the bad press with keeping him around, so they fired him.

Taylor won probably because she had people there to testify on her behalf and a sympathetic jury (mostly female). Plus, some of her answers were funny in a sassy kind of way. It might have endeared her to the jury. And who knows how good his lawyer was...

Some stories have a ring of truth and some don’t. If you look at the photo, the woman on the other side of Taylor was his then-girlfriend. I know there are plenty of creepy men out there, but I can’t imagine this guy was going to grab a handful of Taylor Swift’s ass with his girlfriend standing next to her. Plus, there’s a narrative about Taylor that she’s a legal bully who are quick to sic her coterie of attorneys on people. And Taylor already seems like she’s wound tighter than a banjo string, so I’m guessing her and her mom don’t let shit go too easily.

Lastly, and this might just be me, but I’m not crazy about them coming for the man’s job, this notwithstanding. Removing him the event is one thing; getting him fired is another. I kinda feel like you’re playing with karma when you fuck with people’s jobs. I usually adopt an “I won’t tell, but I won’t lie” attitude about a lot of things. I just think your personality works on inertia to a big extent, and Taylor Swift seems to have the tendency to do the most, and I think that can play itself in a bunch of scenarios that, in the grand scheme of things, isn’t really that important. 

So, I don’t know. I’m glad Taylor doesn’t have to deal with him again, but I’m not outraged the man another steady gig.

Edited by 27bored

So the press has been talking about David Mueller, the guy who allegedly groped Taylor back in 2013, because he’s gotten a new job on the radio. I guess the moment someone is accused of any form of sexual misconduct, they’re supposed to explode in pool of blood or something, but yes, the man managed to get another job. And his boss has publicly defended him saying he’s either the best liar in the world or he’s telling the truth.

I’ll say this, and this isn’t a commentary on #MeToo or victims in general, but this is just my two cents on this story: I don’t think he groped Taylor, either. At least, not in a pervy kind of way.

I think what probably happened was he went in to put his arm around her waist for a photo and may have accidentally lifted the back of her dress. His hand looks lower on her back near her behind, but that might have been coincidental. Taylor was embarrassed and told her mom he groped her, and her mom told security to have him escorted out, then they sounded off to his boss at the radio station. Radio station would rather protect their relationship with Taylor, and plus they don’t want the bad press with keeping him around, so they fired him.

Taylor won probably because she had people there to testify on her behalf and a sympathetic jury (mostly female). Plus, some of her answers were funny in a sassy kind of way. It might have endeared her to the jury. And who knows how good his lawyer was...

Some stories have a ring of truth and some don’t. If you look at the photo, the woman on the other side of Taylor was his then-girlfriend. I know there are plenty of creepy men out there, but I can’t imagine this guy was going to grab a handful of Taylor Swift’s ass with his girlfriend standing next to her. Plus, there’s a narrative about Taylor that she’s a legal bully who are quick to sic her coterie of attorneys on people. And Taylor already seems like she’s wound tighter than a banjo string, so I’m guessing her and her mom don’t let shit go too easily.

Lastly, and this might just be me, but I’m not crazy about them coming for the man’s job, this notwithstanding. Removing him the event is one thing; getting him fired is another. I kinda feel like you’re playing with karma when you fuck with people’s jobs. I usually adopt an “I won’t tell, but I won’t lie” attitude about a lot of things. I just think your personality works on inertia to a big extent, and Taylor Swift seems to have the tendency to do the most, and I think that can play itself in a bunch of scenarios that, in the grand scheme of things, isn’t really that important. 

So, I don’t know. I’m glad Taylor doesn’t have to deal with him again, but I’m not outraged the man another steady gig.

This is my bias but I don't think the best things about a guy who has the option to change his name and chooses the name of a Confederate general.

• Love 3